Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

Ranger
No picture uploaded.

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

AlexM, Jan 01, 2012

whartontallboy, Jan 01, 2012

KimenTshom, Jan 01, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured a cold one from a sampler case into a chalice and let warm for a few minutes.

A: Pours golden, medium head which quickly fades, soft bubbles as you drink through the glass.

S: Pine, pine, citrus, more pine. Pine smell is too strong to be appealing. Would've liked more balance with the citrus.

T: Solid initially. Medium bitterness, nice hoppy citrus/pine at the start. Not much malt backing, but fine for the style. The problem comes in with the aftertaste. It is VERY strong pine and follows the smell. After a burp I feel like I've just eaten a whole plate full of pine needles. Honestly kind of gross.

M: Perfect carbonation. A nice, drinkable pale ale in terms of the mouthfeel.

Overall: Not a big fan. Too much pine going on here, as I mentioned before. I don't think I will have another. I hope the amber and the Snow Day are better beers as I wasn't a fan of this one or the Trippel (due to the overwhelming coriander taste, but that's for another review).

OremLK, Dec 31, 2011

cerunincos, Dec 31, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very hoppy, a touch of citrus. Taste is piney hops up front, light citrus notes, a mild malt balance. Feels medium bodied in the mouth ansd overall is an enjoyable beer.

tone77, Dec 31, 2011

leediehr, Dec 31, 2011

Runofthemiller, Dec 30, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%

Ranger...Colorado Rangers...wait a minute...that's a different show I think...

Like the show...this beer is "la tee da"...

It's golden. It smells of jubilant hoppy gushness. I tastes rather average. It leaves me with a sweetish aftertaste. It's just not a good punch in the face like an American I.P.A. should be. This ain't too bad I reckon. I'd rather have this than a standard pale ale anyday but I have had deluxe pale ales...and by "deluxe" I mean the kind you have one sip off you know they is "deluxe"...kick this beer's booty...

That said it was the hoppiest beer at the gas station today. So I filled up and grabbed a sixxer and I'm gonna drink 'em. Gonna let the next two warm up a bit.

I edited to give this beer some mouthfeel points...cause I had no idea there be 6.5 ponies per beer! Hidden very well! Ahhh...I'm starting to see where the love was...hidden like an Army Ranger in a Ghille suit...GOT YA NB!

CamuMahubah, Dec 30, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle picked up at Tasty Beverage Co. in Raleigh, NC.

A- Pours oily golden, finger thick white head, lots of lace, crystal clear, glowing

S- Tropical citrus, pine, grapefruit, tangerine, orange zest, slightly herbal

T- Orange rind, citrus, solid malt backbone but hops hold their own. Very well balanced.

M- Medium body but crisp, perfect medium carbonation, slightly oily, prickly/peppery finish.

O- Everything I want in an IPA.  Well balanced, flavorful, very drinkable. Hopefully New Belgium's east coast expansion means we'll be seeing this in FL in the near future.

xpdrinker, Dec 30, 2011