Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

Ranger
No picture uploaded.

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Tawny gold color, more on the brownish side than red or orange, capped with a big, luscious, two finger cap of froth. Lace sticks everywhere on the glass as the pint is drunk. Great clarity. I can view the countless MMJ dispensary adverts in my Westword paper through the beer if I wanted to. The head sticks around for the entire pint, enough that I can even eke out that cherished empty glass sip usually reserved for nitro pours, just from the foam dissolving at the bottom of the glass. If i could give this a 5.5 for looks, I think I would. A great beer is supposed to look like this.
Heavy hop scent, very pungent, piney and citric. My wife can smell my beer from across the bar booth, now that she's a hophead stuck with under-hopped, gluten-free fare, she's acutely attuned to the scent. Really clean, pretty much only hops in the aroma, and they're very strong. Cascade, a trusted classic, is the main focus, with some of the newer, more pungent varieties adding that unrestrained edge. I guess there's a weak trace of toasty malt, but I think the idea here is a hop bazooka straight to the nose. Mission accomplished.
The flavor opens with one-dimensional, toasty malt sweetness, immediately overtaken by big, heavy handed hops. The first sip is (always) pretty punishing, but my palate adjusts quickly. Fairly simple, flavor wise, but I consider that a plus for the style. The malt is simple and sweet enough, allowing the hops full rein. I assume that's the idea here. Everything but the very first split second of the sip is all hops. Any sweetness comes across as unsalted oyster crackers up front, and lemon candy in the back end. The rest is all rindy citrus hoppage and a riparian forest hike earthiness. Very clean for an ale, on the level of Sierra Nevada, which is quite impressive. Chico yeast? At only 6.5% and an impressive 70IBUs, this is certainly for hop lovers only. Quite a lot of bitterness, which is still noticeable no matter how many you have in a session (I've had more than I should while hanging with the boys). The body is heavy, and the carbonation is strong, less so on a good tap, but settles in nicely with the weight it has to carry. Well-attenuated and fairly dry, begging for that last pint, which can be dangerous if you have to work in the morning. This is a brew that goes too well with conversion. The only things keeping this from top scores in drinkability are the tongue-punch you have to acclimate to on the first couple sips, the sleepy-time effect of the omnipresent hops, and the alcohol strength keeping myself from sensibly drinking too many. On the converse, the dryness keeps me thirsty, and the flavor profile is single minded and all too easy to drink. This has also become a safety beer for me since it was released, so that should count for something.
I'm not sure what keeps this beer from top marks. I guess it's the idea that anything can be improved, and nothing can ever be perfect. I count myself blessed that I can find this on tap or in bottles any time I want here in Denver. I don't know (or haven't yet had) what makes for a perfect score for the american IPA style, but after a tough day, this is exactly what I want to wind down. Of the huge variety of beers available in Denver, I seem to have bought this one more than any other.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle ~ best by 12/4/11

Clear golden body with 2 fingers of head that is clinging to the side of the pint glass. Lots of citrus and pine in the nose, pretty fragrant. Very tasty, hop forward but not overwhelming. The pine notes really play well with the more fruity hops, very pleasing on the palate. Medium bodied and an above average carbonation level.

Solid IPA all around, certainly worth trying if you haven't.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Bought a 22oz bomber in Chevy Chase DC with a best buy date of Jan 8th, my guess is that this is real fresh.

Crystal clear and golden, with a touch of orange. Slightly off white head that slowly recedes leaving solid lacing. by the end of the bomber my pint glass is covered.

Citusy piney hoppy earthy fresh. Smells inviting.

If a earthy pine tree grew a citrusy fruit, I bet it would taste just like this, delicious. Refreshing, lighter on the malt than most ipas I've had but in a very good way. Same earthy flavors on the finish inviting another sip.

Crisp, moderate carbonation, smooth, medium to light body for an ipa. Sappy and a little sticky.

Overall an excellent ipa. NB's Ranger IPA is one of my new favorites, I'm definitely going back for more.

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

Literally my first IPA I was blown away by the amount of hops a couple years ago. More recent exposure still gave me a very good taste.

A golden amber pour into a beer glass.

Smell was very hoppy at first with some undertones of citrus and maybe some floral.

Taste is like a rush of cold water as the hops bite your mouth! Pretty impressed with the taste...

Mouthfeel was great as it went down smoothly but still had a great hoppy bite.

Overall if I can't get my hands on some Gumball Head I would definitely choose this for an IPA.

Purchased as a 22oz from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into dfh snifter

No exaggeration. I can't find anything less than perfect here.

Pours a well filtered, very nice amber orange. Head is perfect, hangs around for a while and descends nicely with great lacing. Smells like a heaping handful of hops, I'm not educated enough to know what kind really but its nice and dry. Taste follows with a perfect back bone of malty goodness while maintaining a perfect amount of bitterness. Feels perfect and remains great as it warms.

Could it be confirmation bias ala my inability to buy this beer prior to this month in Virginia.. maybe..

but overall I love this beer and this may well be my new fav IPA.

A: Pours a lightly hazy golden color. The medium sized, off-white head has a soapy, frothy texture. Retention is decent, and very good levels of lacing deposit onto the glass.

S: A little bit of cookielike pale malt in the nose. Hop aromas are equally citric (grapefruit), piney, and resinous. Cascade, Chinook, and Simcoe certainly seems accurate. While hoppy, the nose lacks the truly vibrant character some other IPAs offer.

T: Generally pale malt up front, with minimal sweetness, caramel or otherwise. Hop bitterness is robust but never bracing. Hop flavors are citric/grapefruit-forward, with contributing notes of pine and candy/resin.

M: Somewhat full-bodied for the style. Carbonation is medium. A bit oily before a dry finish.

D: This is an enjoyable IPA. It's a fairly blank slate for the hops to do their work, but I enjoy this particular hop bill because it provides a nice array of complementary flavors. This isn't a top-tier IPA, but it's not far off. A slightly more interesting malt and/or yeast presence would go a long way for this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured this beer into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: The color came across somewhere between gold and amber, probably closer to gold though. Poured with roughly two fingers of off white head.

S: Very citrusy-hoppy smell comes across, with a some floral to it as well.

T: Awesome citrus flavor right way with near perfect amount of bitterness. There was some pine flavor to it, but it was minimal.

M: Good mouthfeel to it, great carbonation and bitterness. Goes down rather smoothly

O: I really enjoyed this beer. This was the first IPA I bought upon arriving in Southern California. Remains one of my favorite readily available IPAs.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a nice amber/gold color w/ a one finger off white head. Decent carbonation and good lacing. Beer is fairly clear, but somewhat hazy. Nose is that of mango, grapefruit, hops, and earthy funky-ness. Slight malt in the background. Taste is a little better. Hops are king in the taste, and the funkiness evident in the nose is completely gone in the taste. Very hoppy, dry aftertaste, w/ medium body. Ok.. I lied. Slight earthy funkiness evident in the aftertaste as the beer warms up. Decent malt backbone as well, although I'd like more malt in the taste. Not a bad IPA, but not my favorite in the style. Still, I'm glad I tried it, and glad New Belgium has come to DC! Love to try this one on draft at some point.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

A. Massive head of eggshell white. Slowly dissipating. Very nice lacing.
S. I get pine, orange peel, and maybe some hops.
T. Hops and citrus up front. Fairly bold, but not too much.
M.Not too thick, not thin. Fairly long lasting aftertaste, (good thing).
O. This is a pretty decent IPA that does the job in most any situation. This is not a backup beer. It sits pretty close to the front for me. I still like my Stone, but this one rocks.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Welcome to DC New Belgium!

I used to drink Ranger all the time when I lived in Texas.... but that was before I was into craft beer. Therefore: Clean palate!

Poured into a DFH pint.

A: Very clear, golden in color, with a huge finger of two head that clung to the glass as it died down.

S: Very aromatic! Citrusy, hoppy, floral, and with an extremely fresh disposition indeed.

T: Chinook, Simcoe, and Cascade huh? I coulda swore this was Citra.... that was what I got anyway. After several sips, I definitely got the cascade in the way that this was very grapefruity. Delicious!

M: Nice carbonation, bitterness, and lacing. The lacing was car was stuff by the way....

O: I remember this beer being good, but not this good. Perhaps it's because I've been away from it for a bit....

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured 65 degrees into an old glass stein.

Poured a golden orange with a 1.5 finger head

Some slight citrus, some pine resin, decently projected.

Taste is okay, relatively thin and slightly understructured for what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting a great deal from what was a characteristic but sort of cliched IPA.

For me this is really a run of the mill IPA that's trying to be slightly more than what it is. I paid probably 3.50USD for a 650, and while I don't feel ripped, I feel that I could put that toward another, more carefully crafted beer that I could feel really satisfied with.

82.

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle consumed from the bottle at a staff meeting at work today. Couldn't really look at the beer since I drank from the bottle - but everything about this IPA was pretty average. Strong hop bitterness with some floral notes and pale biscuity malt. Crisp sharp finish.

This is an easy-drinking IPA which I assume, since it was served at a work function, is also a less expensive option. I could easily enjoy 3 or 4 of these or more at a barbecue or day at the beach, this is a good beer when you really don't want to think about your beer but just want something light and refreshing. But I don't know that I'd go out of my way to have it again when so many superior IPAs are readily available.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

Rich and assertive IPA.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped bottle. Brown label with a green oval with a drawing of hop cones, branding and name of the brew. Small side note talks about intent, ingredients, and shows 70 IBUs. Back label dedicated to the schedule of the cLips of Faith film tour. Notes best by date 08jan12. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Clear pale to medium amber pour, rich creamy head, medium retention, good surface memory and lacing.

S - Rich nose, resinous citric touches with hints of orange peel and grapefruit.

T - Coherent expansion in the mouth with a rich hoppy profile, resinous, touches of grapefruit, malty toasty hint woven back into the hop profile.

M - Medium to medium-light body with medium carbonation, and a slightly oily ride in the palate as the bitter finish lingers.

O - Feeling rather rich and tasty in this incarnation.

Notes: Part of the distribution launch of New Belgium in the region… And these bombers sure seem to come fresh and full of character. I´ve had Ranger before, and while likable, I did not remember it this enjoyable. Initially I would have preferred to have six-packs available instead, but the price-quality ratio of the big bottle is spectacular.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A very crystal clear looking body, light carbonation rising, dark gold getting into brass bronze almost red amber color. Simple white head with about three fingers of retention, some foamy character. Some minor decent lacing while drinking.

Bouquet is, a simple hop profile, little bit of citrus, little pine, but nothing really distinct. Subtle and nice muted nose with some malt and bread.

Taste is, a good hop blast with a little bit of pine and resin, with a big surprising fruit punch on the finish. What the hell it is sugar coated strawberries. A surprising sweet red juicy fruit almost hawaiian fruit punch, where did that come from? Texture is solid without a big syrupy thickness, fizzy carbonation, or wet body.

Overall decent ipa, different, unique, enjoyable.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Welcome, New Belgium, to the DC area!

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass

Creamy white head with meringue consistency. Light golden color with crystal clarity. Head retention is excellent and sticks to the glass.

Aroma of ripe citrus peel and fresh hay

First sip begins with a puckering bitterness, followed by lots of floral hops on top and citrus underneath. The malt provides excellent balance, with nice biscuity-toast undertones.

Dry finish, with alcohol, bitter citrus and fresh evergreen.

Very enjoyable, and excellent example of the style. Offers a nice hop profile that is different from the usual east coast offerings I'm used to. So glad I can buy it locally now!

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz bottle served in shaker pint.

A: Pours a very clear golden orange. Very bright, this one just pops from the glass. A Pillowy white head forms from an aggressive pour and retains itself nicely. Yields a little lace on the way down as well. Fine looking beer.

S: Pine right off the bat. Some sticky, resiny hop aroma. A hint of malt sweetness. Citric character. Candied orange. A little bit tropical. Very nice.

T: The taste mirrors the aroma, but is less impressive. Pine is less apparent. A potent dose of hop bitterness makes an appearance. Mango and honey show up later on. Finishes kinda dry with a faint dose of bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: No complaints. Appropriate carbonation. Medium body.

O: Very enjoyable. I picked up a sixer of this in Savannah while on vacation and as I finish off the last bottle I wish I would have grabbed some more. I would drink this pretty regularly if it were available in PA.

Ranger doesn't get tons of love on BA but I found it to be a clean, easy to drink IPA. It's not amazing, but I can find little to critique about it. Also, I love the simple, stylized label.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Served in a New Belgium goblet because I am awesome, more awesome than you, sorry, it is the truth and I cannot tell a lie.

Beer is orange and clear with a nice white head of small and medium bubbles, lots of lacing, moderate carbonation centered around the etched bicycle in the center of the goblet, again, I'm awesome, deal with it.

Aroma is earthy and piny with hints of citrus. Pretty nice aroma.

Beer is medium body and mildly sweet with a great hop profile, the hops are mostly pine on the palate, the finish isn't dry, the beer is super drinkable. I really like this beer, exactly what I wanted tonight.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

A: slightly copper, mostly light, but very clear. big welcoming head on top. good retention and lacing.

S: a vibrant piney hop aroma. citrus comes to play too, but this is definitely heavier on the pine side of american hops. some toast in there too, but this smells like an AIPA should.

T: bitter flavors interact with a significant toasted body. the sweetness from the toasted malts is great to balance this hoppy brew. the hops linger in the finish leaving a bitterness on the palate.

M: mild to moderate carbonation on a medium body.

D: a very good AIPA in my opinion. rich american hop flavor that is well balanced with a toasty backbone. glad new belgium is in VA!

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Beautiful color on this beer, it's a brilliant light-honey to orange color with a soft off-white tan head. Lacing sticks to the glass like crazy streams of carbonation jet up to the surface.

S: Pine, pine, and more pine! Sorry Justin (of TBN), Simcoe doesn't smell like onions to me, it's all pine! Unfortunately, its so dominant that is all I smell. Makes it kind of one-dimensional, but it still smells great.

T: The bitterness is defiantly the first thing that you get. Its strong, but not completely over-powering. Hops taste of flowers and some light citrus. I get a nice malty backbone on this beer, but it is defiantly on the hoppy side.

M: Incredibly smooth. The carbonation isn't overpowering, but it is rather high, and the body is on the light side of medium.

D: Defiantly easy to drink, and at 6.5%, it's completely smooth. I was shocked how good this is.

2.3/5  rDev -38.8%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Hard Rock cafe hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live, unpaired with food.

A: Pours a four finger head of fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a clear yellow-gold. Generally appealing.

Sm: A mild strength aroma of citrus ester hops and barley.

T: Citrus ester hops indeed dominate - mainly badly handled grapefruit - but they're curbed near the climax by unwelcome bittering hops and off cream. The first half starts out decently, but it trainwrecks at the climax, ruining the balance. The flavours were chosen alright, but the structure and balance are where the problems lay.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but indistinct and certainly not tailored to the flavours. The thickness is strange as well.

Dr: The quality - or relative lack thereof - makes it difficult to drink. The price isn't that great especially as part of a variety pack. I won't be having it again. A relatively high ABV.

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Not very cold.

Pours with a huge gorgeous head, leaves giant clumpy lacing. Clear brownish yellow, fair amount of active carbonation. Smell is mildly floral, clearly hoppy.

Taste is nicely balanced. Nice sweet bready malt offset a terrific hop presence.

Mouthfeel is slightly chewy, slightly sticky.

This remains one of my go-to easy to find solid IPAs, this is just the first time I've had it in a can.

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a deep, clear, bubbly gold with a finger of white head that settles slowly.

This one smells very good with inviting notes of the fragrant, cascade hops- citrusy and grassy at once. A sweet fruitiness reminds me vaguely of peach. Nice, bready malt to balance.

Flavors are delicious and well-balanced. A wonderful, dry grassiness and orange-peel citrus meets a tasty crackery malt character.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and provides a nice, astringent, finish, leaving the palate feeling pretty clean.

An excellent session beer, packed with juicy hops that make it hard not to reach for one after the other.

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a light amber with 1/2" of head with decent retention. The nose has citrus and pine notes from the hops. Taste has decent malt character but it's short lived as the hops immediately take over. The hops are mildly citrusy, floral, and intensely piny. Mouthfeel is crisp and well carbonated though a little thin in the finish.

Not a bad IPA. It's affordable so I tend to go back to it over and over.

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a heavy, golden hue with a good amount of thick, foamy white head.

S: Smells softly bitter with a pine hoppiness, a touch of citrus, some malty sweetness along with a touch a brown sugar and even some yeast.

T/M: Tastes more hoppy than the aroma indicates. The flavor is very bitter with pine and citrus and a medium amount of carbonation. Citrus evaporates into a candy sweetness near the end and then is immediately replaced by more fresh hop bitterness, reminiscent of dry hopping.

It's quite a hoppy IPA and very nice for a brewery that is used to underwhelming. Bravo, New Belgium. Bravo.

4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Golden in color. A nice 1" off white head. Beer is very clear. Doesn't look like much more than base grains in regards to the bill.

S - Orange citrus hops are the dominant characteristic. Slight breadiness balanced by fruity esters. A little resinous pine as well.

T - Straightforward IPA. Not fooling around. Solid hop flavor. Subtle hop harshness up front. I think the harsh grassiness from the hops indicates strong dry hopping. Very nice citrus and a strong bitterness on the finish.

M - Relatively thin for a big beer. Above average carbonation. Alcohol warmth is apparent.

O - Wow, what a great beer. I really like this. Not sure if I can get it in Ohio, but maybe soon. Solid straightforward west coast style IPA.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing