Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

pDev: 13%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
4.23/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottle into as SA Perfect Pint

A- Deep crystal clear gold, rocky three finger head. Decent retention and good lacing. Beautiful beer.

S- Citric hops with some zest and grapefruit. Malt undertones.

T- Smooth with some citrus rind, slight malty sweetness and spice from the hops. A touch of warmth for the alcohol. Dry with a balanced lingering bitter finish.

M- Coats the mouth well, perfect carbonation. Expected a little more body. Dry.

O- Another great IPA. Well balanced and refreshing, not overly bitter. NB did a fine job.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

The color is a clear deep gold with a creamy white head building about two fingers high. It leaves great lacing after dissipating.
The smell is very fruity. Citrus, peach, apple and pineapple are dominating.
Those fruit notes also are the front of this beer. In the middle malty notes add to the beer with hints if caramel and honey.
The finish is a nice balance with the addition of some bitter hops.
Very nicely composed IPA, very drinkable, and I certainly will have it again.

Solid on all points. Bright carbonation with a quick, sharp hops bittering right up front - citric and piney, with a malt profile that recognizes its job is to carry the hops and not get in the way. Bittering level is well balanced - assertive but not overpowering.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured bright gold with a thick off-white head that lasted and lasted. Great lacing. Smell was all hops, citrusy and predominately piney. I really felt that while the hop profile of this beer was impressive, the malt side of it could have been upped to bring an overall better balance, although I'm not sure if that would cross too far the boundaries of what the style embodies (if so, my apologies). I loved the smoothness of the mouthfeel, really was expecting a dryer texture.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours clear "Kool-Aid" orange. With a thick off white head that clung very well. Smells of pine and lemon peel. Smell is fresh even though its 21 days past expiration. Taste is semi dry with a nice bitter linger that lasts enough but not as much as some of the Pacific North West versions. Hardly any malt in keeping with the style. Solid, but I would put it right the middle (I've had better, I've had worse). I will say I'd like to try a super fresh batch for comparison. I wouldn't turn one down... but if I'm buying and one of my favorites is available I might pass it by. Worth trying.

3.96/5  rDev +5%

22oz. bomber that I picked up on a trip to visit family in Maryland. I knew New Belgium just started distributing in MD, now they need to get into PA!

A- Beautiful and brilliant clear gold. Pillowy off-white head that sticks around. Possibly the best lacing I've ever seen on a single IPA.

S- A balance of citrus and pine, not getting much malt smell.

T- Nice. Citrus and pine intermingle, a little biscuity malts try to balance, but are beaten back by the sharp, hoppy finish.

M- almost creamy for an IPA. Suprisingly, for as sharp and bitter as the finish it, it's not overly drying.

O- Colorado sure can crank out some good IPA's. Can't say I'd seek this out, but certainly on the better side of IPA's I've tried.

Poured a huge head w/ sticky lace patches on a clear, reddish/orangey body. Very earthy, citric hop aroma and hints of caramel and breadiness there as well. While hoppy, really hoppy for just a "single" IPA, the hops are citrusy and earthy but not overpowering as this beer goes down smooth. Nice balance as well b/c I also pick up some caramel sweetness as well as touches of grape/tropical fruit. Finishing w/ a slightly dry edge, I find this beer to be a quality sipper and one that a hop lover and just a beer lover would enjoy.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

Big thanks to my boss for saving me a bottle of this and giving me one to try. This poured out as a light colored orangy yellow, the head was white and had a decent retention. The lacing wasn't too sticky though. The smell of the beer packs a nice little punch for just being a regular IPA. Plenty of citrusy pine aromas pouring out of this one. The taste is really nice on this brew, lots of really piney notes on the tongue, very flavorful IPA. The mouthfeel of the beer is slightly creamy but still quite prickly feeling from the hops and carbonation. Overall this is a highly enjoyable IPA, would be able to drink this one over and over.

Had this one on tap at the Carolina Ale House in Fayetteville NC. Tastes better than I remember if from the bottle. Nice light copper color with a decent size whit head. Good retention and plentiful lacing. Smell is robust floral and citrus hops. Taste is primarily citrus hops with some balancing malt. Mouthfeel is better in the draft version. Crisp and rich enough. Good hops bitterness. Overall the drft version is even better than I remember the bottle version. Good IPA.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A: A very clean looking beer. The color of this IPA is a light orange yellow and very translucent. The head is creamy and white and lasts a while. Beer leaves a little lacing while being consumed. Good Appearance.

S: The smell of this is straight citrus bittering hops. I can smell my favorite hop, Chinook, and this beer smells almost identical to the cones I pick fresh off the Chinook plants themselves. The smell is one-sided because that is all I am getting.

T: The flavor isn't as citrusy or bitter as the aroma would lead one to believe. The beer is very fruity and delicious. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and there is a very small hint of the malts.

M: Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. This feels pretty standard.

O: This is a pretty good IPA. The taste is fresher and cleaner than many and IPA's I have had and it is more straightforward. The specific hops seem easier to pick out. Pretty good stuff.

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a clear light amber. Visible carbonation, two finger head that goes down to a film leaving excellent lacing.

S- Grassy, herbal hop notes with a decent malt backbone.

T- Piney, grassy and herbal hop notes dominate the pallet with a nice bitterness upfront. There is some noticable malt in the backround keeping things balanced.

M- Slick and oily, but still pretty full bodied for the style. Alcohol is well hidden

O- Solid offering from NB that is well priced. There are a lot of better options on the market, but then again, there are a lot of worse options as well.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Just got New Belgium in Maryland, which is nice since it has been 6years since I moved here from Colorado. Went with Ranger because I didn't know it as well as Fire Tire, 1554, abby, etc.

Appearance was great deep gold and long lasting lace.
The smell is over powering sense of hops
The taste is very much like the taste.
the hops make the mouthful a negative and hard to drink. I not a big hops guy, and others like the taste of this beer.

Overall the price is too much for this beer and not made for drinking in a maryland summer heat. more a ski mountain beer. I would not buy this again unless I was hard up for hops.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Vibrant orange hue with a nice white head on top that sticks around for the duration. Good retention and stickage. Smells of grapefruity citrus hops and some pine as well. Excellent biscuity malt smell as well that rounds out the aroma nicely.

Very well balanced between hops and malts. The hops are bold and bitter, but also citrusy and sweet at the same time. Juicy grapefruit comes to mind in taste and mouthfeel. A good and balancing amount of biscuity malt is present and really makes the beer stand out. Sometimes I find that too much of a biscuit malt is overpowering in IPAs, but not the case here. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is very dry and it finishes crisp and relatively clean. A little grit in back that only furthers the experience. Alcohol is hidden very well and it only registers as an afterthought. Really just a well done beer, but make sure its fresh or that biscuit malt may take over the character. The hops in this are not to be missed.

3.36/5  rDev -10.9%

New Belgium Ranger is citric, yeasty, and bready.

It poured pale gold with a two-finger white head; lots of lace held onto the glass from top down. The smell and flavor were immediately very citric with a yeasty metallic finish, that seems to be a characteristic of New Belgium, lingering for a long time on the tongue. As the ale warmed, the citrus flavor faded and the yeast asserted itself. There was a lot of carbonation and otherwise, the feel was thick and bready -- also a characteristic of New Belgium -- with very little bitterness.

Ranger made a good first impression, with a sharp appearance and an explosion of citrus; however, both faded and it closed out as bland, bready, and metallic.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice brass pour with a bit of bubbles on top, that reduce into a minor lace.

S: Piney on the nose, having trouble picking up anything spectacular though.

T: Great. Bold piney hops with limited to no aftertaste. Makes the sides of tongue goosebump before every sip.

M: A bit thin, but smooth and very very drinkable.

Overall a very nice IPA that I will use as a regular fridge stocker at $3/22oz.

4.67/5  rDev +23.9%

The first time I tried this brew it was on tap at a metal concert I went to last year and it was like the freaking nectar of the gods. So why did it take me nearly 10 months to try it again?

Appearance: Pours a clear whiskey shade of amber with a massive pillow of soft milky white foam that leaves some hellish lacing.

Smell: Pure grapefruit with a double shot of caramel malt that has me almost hyperventilating.

Taste: Bitter, sweet, then viciously bitter again, in such and incredible way as to rip my lips off and make my head spin.

Mouthfeel: A little on the light side but...

Overall: A great beer. This has reached my top 10 without a doubt.

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am stoked to have New Belgium in my neighborhood. Welcome!

The beer is transparent and light orange hued with an inch of thick white head. Decent retention and ample sticky lacing on the pint glass.

The aroma brings a bouquet of hops, with notes of grapefruit. Also present is an earthy, funky scent that seems to be a distraction from the delectable hop nose.

The flavor is good, with the hop character in the driver seat. Grapefruit is the dominant fruit flavor, with more subtle notes of the earthy, musty, funkiness I discovered in the aroma.

The beer is really bitter, even for the style. The finish is dry and bitter, and sits a bit harsh on the palate.

In a style teeming with amazing brews, this one falls a bit short for me. I am enjoying this, but don't see myself returning to this beer too often, if at all.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

From 22oz bomber to nonic pint glass on 8/24/11
*From notes

A: Really well filtered. It's a rusty amber in color. A standard pour yields a 2.25 finger head and some really awesome lacing.

S: Bitter, yet slightly fruit forward and juicy. The simcoe profile is right there.

T: A bit floral up front, then the bitter quality carries through from the mid to the back. The finish is a bit juicy, yet it dries out quickly, leaving the palate neat and tidy.

M: Extremely thick, the carbonation is very well done and the overall texture is executed with precision.

O: New Belgium's Ranger IPA is, for the price, one of the better bargains I've come across. For a quick hop fix, you could do a hell of a lot worse. This might not have the depth and "wow" factor a lot of folks desire, yet it has everything you look for in a day-to-day IPA.

Good stuff. I'll be having more of this.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a nice, glossy maize. A small head quickly drops down to a lacing.

All great IPAs should be measured by their aroma. This is a solid contender, but by no means a knockout. Grainy 2-Row malt and honey lay the foundation for the hops; light on their feet, but present, they're mostly of the tropical fruit (mango, lychee, passionfruit) variety. Kind on the nose and unassuming.

Taste, in a word, is bright. A nice lash of bitterness shines over a lighter-than-air malt profile. Very nice and dry; with a little brininess here and there. A bit of a weird fermentation bobble, slightly chemical, slightly vegetal, pops in halfway through the swallow, a testament to how difficult it is to make such a delicate brew; in a bigger beer, it would go unnoticed. No boozy, sugary bomb this -- this is Ann-Margaret in Bye Bye Birdie, rather than Greta Garbo.

Mouthfeel is on point, firm but not sharp. You'll never taste the booze, but by the end of the bottle, I'm reminded there's alcohol in them there bottle.

This stuff was born for the beach. A nice interpretation -- albeit gossamer and fleeting -- of an IPA. Bigger is not always better, my friends. Who knew New Belgium was up to it?

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

Best before 08 January 2012.

Pours clear orange to golden with thick, foamy white head. The aroma is very hoppy - lots of floral, planty notes along with grapefruit and tropical fruit. Flavor is a bit more mildly hoppy. Still plenty of citrus and floral notes but some caramel malt comes through as well. Well-balanced, not too strong for an IPA, but the mouthfeel is a tad on the light or watery side.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

From Tasting notes on 06-14-2011. From the bottle into an Imperial Pint Glass.

A - Deep Golden color with a bit of red to it. 2 Finger white, frothy head with sticky lacing all around.

S - Very piney and citrusy. This beer smells very clean and organic and you can really get the hops on this one mixed with some kind of flowery scent.

T - Nice hoppy front with a smooth character that cascades into a mixture of oranges and that floweriness I felt in the smell. It is a very good mix of flavors, and is unique compared to a lot of IPAs on the easy-to-find market these days. The flavor is very fresh and flavorful, and the hops have just the right amount of bitterness to them. This beer is not very malty at all.

M - Above average on the carbonation and full-bodied.

O - This is a fantastic beer, especially for something you can buy easily at a local grocery(at least here in San Diego). The hops are really well balanced in the beer and the lend to a great IPA experience, and I think it would satisfy a lot of non-IPA fans who aren't used to the huge bodied beers available in the same genre. Maybe this will become the gateway IPA, haha.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Tawny gold color, more on the brownish side than red or orange, capped with a big, luscious, two finger cap of froth. Lace sticks everywhere on the glass as the pint is drunk. Great clarity. I can view the countless MMJ dispensary adverts in my Westword paper through the beer if I wanted to. The head sticks around for the entire pint, enough that I can even eke out that cherished empty glass sip usually reserved for nitro pours, just from the foam dissolving at the bottom of the glass. If i could give this a 5.5 for looks, I think I would. A great beer is supposed to look like this.
Heavy hop scent, very pungent, piney and citric. My wife can smell my beer from across the bar booth, now that she's a hophead stuck with under-hopped, gluten-free fare, she's acutely attuned to the scent. Really clean, pretty much only hops in the aroma, and they're very strong. Cascade, a trusted classic, is the main focus, with some of the newer, more pungent varieties adding that unrestrained edge. I guess there's a weak trace of toasty malt, but I think the idea here is a hop bazooka straight to the nose. Mission accomplished.
The flavor opens with one-dimensional, toasty malt sweetness, immediately overtaken by big, heavy handed hops. The first sip is (always) pretty punishing, but my palate adjusts quickly. Fairly simple, flavor wise, but I consider that a plus for the style. The malt is simple and sweet enough, allowing the hops full rein. I assume that's the idea here. Everything but the very first split second of the sip is all hops. Any sweetness comes across as unsalted oyster crackers up front, and lemon candy in the back end. The rest is all rindy citrus hoppage and a riparian forest hike earthiness. Very clean for an ale, on the level of Sierra Nevada, which is quite impressive. Chico yeast? At only 6.5% and an impressive 70IBUs, this is certainly for hop lovers only. Quite a lot of bitterness, which is still noticeable no matter how many you have in a session (I've had more than I should while hanging with the boys). The body is heavy, and the carbonation is strong, less so on a good tap, but settles in nicely with the weight it has to carry. Well-attenuated and fairly dry, begging for that last pint, which can be dangerous if you have to work in the morning. This is a brew that goes too well with conversion. The only things keeping this from top scores in drinkability are the tongue-punch you have to acclimate to on the first couple sips, the sleepy-time effect of the omnipresent hops, and the alcohol strength keeping myself from sensibly drinking too many. On the converse, the dryness keeps me thirsty, and the flavor profile is single minded and all too easy to drink. This has also become a safety beer for me since it was released, so that should count for something.
I'm not sure what keeps this beer from top marks. I guess it's the idea that anything can be improved, and nothing can ever be perfect. I count myself blessed that I can find this on tap or in bottles any time I want here in Denver. I don't know (or haven't yet had) what makes for a perfect score for the american IPA style, but after a tough day, this is exactly what I want to wind down. Of the huge variety of beers available in Denver, I seem to have bought this one more than any other.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle ~ best by 12/4/11

Clear golden body with 2 fingers of head that is clinging to the side of the pint glass. Lots of citrus and pine in the nose, pretty fragrant. Very tasty, hop forward but not overwhelming. The pine notes really play well with the more fruity hops, very pleasing on the palate. Medium bodied and an above average carbonation level.

Solid IPA all around, certainly worth trying if you haven't.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Bought a 22oz bomber in Chevy Chase DC with a best buy date of Jan 8th, my guess is that this is real fresh.

Crystal clear and golden, with a touch of orange. Slightly off white head that slowly recedes leaving solid lacing. by the end of the bomber my pint glass is covered.

Citusy piney hoppy earthy fresh. Smells inviting.

If a earthy pine tree grew a citrusy fruit, I bet it would taste just like this, delicious. Refreshing, lighter on the malt than most ipas I've had but in a very good way. Same earthy flavors on the finish inviting another sip.

Crisp, moderate carbonation, smooth, medium to light body for an ipa. Sappy and a little sticky.

Overall an excellent ipa. NB's Ranger IPA is one of my new favorites, I'm definitely going back for more.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Literally my first IPA I was blown away by the amount of hops a couple years ago. More recent exposure still gave me a very good taste.

A golden amber pour into a beer glass.

Smell was very hoppy at first with some undertones of citrus and maybe some floral.

Taste is like a rush of cold water as the hops bite your mouth! Pretty impressed with the taste...

Mouthfeel was great as it went down smoothly but still had a great hoppy bite.

Overall if I can't get my hands on some Gumball Head I would definitely choose this for an IPA.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing