Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

RangerRanger

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,209 | Hads: 5,366
4.37/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful. An easy-to-find great IPA that has what you'd expect and exceeds preconceptions. Very drinkable and refreshing. A much more flowery, herbal hop profile. (163 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Re-reviewing this one after many months since the first couple of them I had. Best-by date on this first bottle from the variety pack is November 29th, 2015. Old scores for reference: Look 4.5, Smell 4.25, Taste 3.5, Feel 4.0, Overall 4.0

Pours light golden, with it taking on a nice shiny darker golden-bordering-on-orangeish color once in the glass. Pretty clear, with a nice bunch of bubbles constantly rising up from the bottom of the glass. My pour generated a pretty good-sized head of foam, not quite reaching the rim of the glass but not far off either. Said foam is very nice-looking, too -- white and fluffy and thick, and it takes a bit for it to even start shrinking and seems to hold up really well, leaving trails along the sides as it goes, and even bigger trails once I start drinking more and more. Even near the end of the glass, the majority of the foam (in the form of a thin layer on top with a slightly thicker ring around the edges) is still intact.

Smell is nice too. You can smell the hops even from a few inches away. However, it doesn't seem to stand out quite as much as it did when I first had it -- I guess this being my first ever IPA, the "blast of hop smell upon opening the bottle" effect was a bit more of a surprise then than it is now. Taking a closer sniff, there's a piney sort of smell right off but it blends into a fruitier smell partway through; sort of shifts from mostly pine at first to "grocery store fruit aisle" or something along those lines. I don't remember picking up this fruitiness the last time I had one of these, so it seems either this is a fresher bottle than what I had that time or my senses have gotten a bit better at picking out different smells in beer (or both.) Can't really detect much in the way of malty smells, maybe the faintest hint of a breadiness hiding somewhere behind all the hops? Yeah, I think there is just a bit of a sort of dusty bread kind of thing right there on the end. The hops are definitely the most prominent thing here, though.

Taste... why the heck did I only give this a 3.5 in this category the first time I had it!? Okay, yeah, I'm thinking I definitely just hadn't developed a taste for super hoppy beers yet at the time. Like the smell, it's primarily piney to start out with. There's a bit of a fruitiness in the flavor too, but not as much as the smell. After the initial pine/slight fruit blast, things shift to become a little more earthy, reminding me somewhat of "forest smells" -- like when you're walking around and stepping through really rich soil and dead leaves and such and you get the slightest bit of a damp, leafy kind of smell as your movement jostles things around a bit on the forest floor. I remember being reminded of walking in a pine forest when I drank this one before, and that description definitely still applies. Detectable bitterness is actually near zero to my current taste buds, which is really surprising considering that when I had this one before it was almost too bitter for me to handle -- I mean, it's definitely a bitter beer rather than a sweet one, no doubt about that, and I am noticing the bitterness more as I get further and further down the glass (those first few sips were "all hop flavor, very little bitterness" but it's shifting as I drink more)... but my tongue isn't being overwhelmed by pure bitterness this time like it was the first time. There's just a bit of a stronger leafy bitter flavor showing up right at the end, almost leaning into a slight spiciness after a while, as I get down to around the 1/3 mark of the glass. I'm noticing that this almost spicy kind of thing begins to show up in the smell right around the end of the glass, too. Aftertaste is almost none at first, slowly building up to a leafy bitter later on and then a slight breadiness similar to what's faintly detectable in the smell once that fades. Burps are fruitier, reminding me of the fruity aspect in the smell.

Mouthfeel is just as nice as I remember it being -- "fizzy, but it works" still applies. There's a lot of bubbles, but they come across as soft and add to the feel of the beer, rather than coming across as prickly and not so pleasant. Just feels really nice going down, especially on the first few sips when the foam on top is thicker. Only the slightest "bite" from the hop bitterness on the end, too, just enough to let you know it's definitely there.

Overall, I'm glad I ended up having a chance to revisit this one thanks to the fall Folly pack -- it's a pretty tasty beer (more so than I remembered it being the first time; as I've said multiple times in this review, I guess I just hadn't quite developed a taste for IPAs yet at the time), and it's both widely available and pretty affordable in most stores that stock it. The mouthfeel is also really nice, actually even better than some of the IPAs that I'd rate higher than this one in the flavor department. (4,946 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New Belgium's Ranger IPA - pretty good, but also nothing outstanding as well. I was impressed with it's look and smell. It had good lacing, a great dark golden color, and a rich citrusy smell, but outside of that, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. There was plenty of after-taste for a normal IPA beer. Again, it was better than average, for me, but nothing I would go out of my way to partake of. (407 characters)

This is a solid IPA and a great example of the style. The smell is all hops, and it's predominantly pine. The taste is mouthwatering; loads of pine, citrus, grass, and some juicy fruits coat the tounge. It ends with just the right amount of bitterness. I really like the feel of this beer. It starts off with an in the face hop bomb but the malt balances it out just enough to leave the mouth watering and wanting more. Great IPA (429 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I don't know why, but I am in love with this beer. I will probably catch hell for this, but I could say that this beer is as good as O'Dell's IPA. Though the rankings don't show it. I would recommend people give this beer another shot. (237 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (marked "enjoy by 08FEB15").

Appearance: Clear golden amber. Frothy, lasting white head with some lacing.

Smell: Layers of hops: resin, lemon rind, and some vegetal notes.

Taste: Slightly toasty, caramel malt under piney, herbal, citrus hops. Good bitterness throughout.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, slight oiliness and medium carbonation.

Overall: A solid IPA with balanced malt and plenty of hop character. (464 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Pretty durn good. Not quite strong as I like my IPA's but still immensely hoppy. If you're craving some intense hops content but you're not looking to get super drunk I recommend this beer strongly. It has a very strong hops flavor, but it is still very smooth. I recommend this to anyone who has the chance to sample it and will continue to keep it in my personal roster. (372 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Transparent orange with fluffy white head. Aroma of citrus and rind, grass, grapefruit, and pine. Flavors of citrus, pine, mint, grapefruit, lemon skins, and bitterness comes smoothly followed by some booze. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. (246 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a stange glass. It looks light orange, pours a decent head that dissipates quickly, and is very clear with no floaties.

It smells like dank hops with orange and grapefruit coming through clearly. I don't get a huge smell, but it is a lot like Lagunitas IPA in my honest estimation.

Tastes like it smells. It is very crisp and smooth. I don't get any alcohol on this one. The mouthfeel is very clean as well, and the taste lingers for just a moment before going away completely.

This is my go-to IPA. The price is quite reasonable, and being sold in 12-packs of 12 oz. cans is the best format around for beer. At 6.5% you get a ton a flavor without too much alcohol although after a few you will definitely be buzzed. Price is right, very good (actually somewhat underrated), very easy to get, and great for when your hosting a party or guests are coming over. (892 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Right now I'm drinking a can but I've also had it on tap and in the bottle.
Opening the can releases a resiny hop nose with some pine and floral accents
pours brilliant amber gold under 2” dense off-white foam head – lacy and slowly dissipating.
Big malt blended with fruit such as melon and citrus attacks the palate and leads to a hop accented finish.
The beer offers up a rick range of hop flavors.
Medium body and carbonation. Two cans fit in my cargo short pockets - sweet. (485 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

The beer pours a brilliantly clear orange with an ecru colored head. Scent consists of spices hops with some pine. Maybe a hint of fresh baked bread. Taste is centered around the hops, but they aren't particularly distinctive. Mildly bitter for the style. Alai piney in the taste. Finishes fairly dry with a touch of caramel and slight hop astringency. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation.

A good beer, but not very complex or compelling. (455 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

A. Average poor ½ inch yellow head dissipates to lacey film around the glass. Little carbonation. Golden in color.
S. Hops, citrus, pine, lemon grass
T. Immediate wall of pine and hops. Same as smell with a light honey taste.
M. Chalky, watery, and dry.
O. Very good. I’m impressed. Recommend to IPA drinkers. It’s like NB Rampant’s little brother Less than average buzz for 6.5%. (387 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

As with almost any IPA from any Colorado brewery it's spot on. Love it. Not my favorite, but it's definitely worth trying and I would absolutely never complain if they were around! (182 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by date of 19Oct14.
Tonight's beer was poured into a pint glass. Two others were poured into a snifter. The head seemed to last longer in the snifter. Anyways, here's the rest.
The appearance was a nice hazy golden orange to amber color with a one to two finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. Light somewhat foamy lacing roamed around the glass.
The smell was a deep oily grassy sticky wet glossy citrus, to me, this one just pummels my nose into submission of a dank resinous sort of quality.
The taste was dank nasty sticky sweet glossy citrus. I feel like I just licked a hop cone.
The mouthfeel was sticky and pummeling my taste buds into submission. I have to admit that this one was quite oily running over my tongue.
Overall, I do say: wow, though I've had this several times in my life when I sit down to analyze this one, I'm amazed how dank and resinous this one is and how different it really is from other AIPA's. Still, I'd come back to this, I always do. (1,011 characters)

Smells alive and I like that. Clarity is good. Carbonation portrays small bubbles continually floating to the top. Small layer of foam on head after gentle pour. Several IPAs and DIPAs have a processed pellet hop flavor. This one is different - refreshing, alive, and a good bite. Tastes like I put a fresh hop flower in my mouth. I like the low alcohol (6.5% ABV). Hops need to overpower alcohol with IPAs and DIPAs and this one does. Easy to drink. The bitterness slows me down in a good way. Real decent IPA, and it's a pretty mainstream brewery. (549 characters)

Bottle.
Appearance: orange. Clear. Fizzy. Thick, foamy, off-white head. Sticky lacing.
Smell: orange. Flowery. Citrus. Malt aroma of toasted bread.
Taste: malts of biscuit and slight toastiness. Hops are citrus and pine resin.
Mouthfeel: medium carbonation. Medium body. Balanced between sweet and dry.
Overall: great go-to, easily accessible IPA. Will buy again when I'm at any gas station and need beer. (421 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours gold with a small head.
Nose shows pineapple, super spicy hops, green pepper and a little sweet clean malt. Really interesting.
More green pepper and spicy, herbal hops as flavours. Nicely balanced by sweet clean malt. (224 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ok, color, head and lacing are all ok. Now, the aroma of piney hops and citrus peel that hit your nose is divine!!!!!!. The taste explodes with hops, pine, citrus and a touch of bread. This all blends together to form a beer that all hopheads should love. Lingering hop, pine and resin is also very nice after you have finished drinking (336 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Amber color with a thick head with short retention but keeping a constant plate.
Delicious aroma with predominant and intense notes of pine and resin.
Nice flavor with robust notes of pine, spices, American yeast, some grapefruit citrusy, tea bags straight over your tongue, resin, grass, flowers and toasted malts. Super dry and bitter aftertaste that lasts forever.
Light to medium body with good carbonation.
Very good piney and resiny IPA. Not complex, but with a very good assertiveness. Intense=liked!
Ap.3,25 Ar.3,75 Sab.4 Sens.4 Cj.4 (541 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

12 ounce bottle into signature tulip glass, best before 11/16/2014. Pours fairly crystal clear deep golden color with a 2 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright citrus/pine hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, lemon/orange zest, citrus rind, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice complexity and balance of bright citrus/pine hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; with a crisp malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent IPA. All around great complexity and balance of bright citrus/pine hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering. (1,510 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

A nice lighter bodied IPA. Not outstanding, but drinkable. The hop to malt ratio could be higher, IMHO, but then again, it's always nice to have a lighter alternative to West Coast IPAs. (186 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Clear, golden body, medium-thick white head, fades quickly and leaves heavy lacing.

S - Strong hop presence. Pine, citrus. Some light malt tones.

T - Pine dominates on the hops. Aftertaste is malt caramel and toffee. More malt than I was expecting.

M - Medium body, medium carb. Smooth, lingers on the palate.

O - A solid IPA. Well balanced. Reminds me of an east coast IPA. (386 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

P: 12oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A: Pours clear dark gold with a big, creamy off white head. A very nice looking pour.

S: Lemon citrus and a little pine hop aroma. Slightly earthy and grassy.

T: Citrus rind bitterness with a piney finish. A touch of sweet malt but the bitterness of the hops is main player in this beer.

M: Well carbonated, mouth feel is a bit on the thin side. Easy drinking and refreshing on both accounts.

O: This is a solid IPA that showcases the hop varieties over the malt base. It's easy drinking and quite refreshing on a hot and humid summer afternoon. It may not stand out among the massive variety of IPA's on the market but I don't think it would disappoint most IPA fans. (715 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

This is another one of my go to beers when I see it on tap. A nice, crisp IPA with plenty of that hop flower taste but a clean finish. It goes well with brats, sauerkraut and onions. (184 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Now, as an introduction, I purchased this beer in a New Belgium variety pack box. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had had Fat Tire quite a few times (hard beer to avoid), so I did expect some fairly mid-grade craft beers that were exemplary of their respective styles and fairly balanced in flavor profile. With the first two out of the pack, Blue Paddle and Skinny Dip, I have to say I was underwhelmed and not impressed. But then it came time for the Ranger...

A: A fairly standard appearance of an IPA. Golden in color with hints of red and brown, a nice head and some decent carbonation activity. My pour was fairly rigorous yet did not produce a too lively head and the head faded away rather quickly.

S: Some yeast, some bread notes, but overwhelmingly hops. Nice citrus notes too, with a hint of pine and maybe a hint of pepper. A fairly aromatic and balanced beer.

T: The Ranger hits a home run with its flavor. Predominantly a hoppy IPA, it kicks hard with bitterness but has a really favorable and distinct grapefruit flavor. There's a touch of sweetness in the body as well as the flavors of light toasted malt but overly it's hops and grapefruit to the max. The aftertaste is pleasant, with a little spice and pepper but nothing too dramatic or distracting. Overall a very balanced and well bodied IPA that serves as a blueprint for the style.

M: Crisp and fresh, smooth but not silky. Nice carbonation, good twang and a nice aftertaste. Balanced.

O: Overall, if a new beer drinker came to me and ask, "What is an IPA that, to you, tastes closest to the formula of an American IPA and exemplifies that style in a way that defines it?" The answer would be New Belgium's Ranger. It is by a long way NOT the best IPA nor is it characterized by uniqueness and distinctive flavors, but it is certainly one of the most standard and balanced beers of its type. A wonderful hop balance, nice body and crisp citrus (grapefruit) notes. A solid A-. (2,008 characters)

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing