2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

RangerRanger

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,720 | Reviews: 1,108 | Show All Ratings:
lostinfla

3.74/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into a pint glass.
Had this one in the fridge for about 3 months, so not as fresh as maybe it should have been.
Short lived white head that turned into thin lacing that stayed with the beverage all the way through. Smell was an excellent pine citrus that surprised me.
Smooth and reserved, the malty backbone stayed light and made this a good example of a simple ipa. Moderate bitterness, especially at the finish that lingered well after the glass was empty.
Good example of the style !

11-17-2013 03:24:34 | More by lostinfla
Khad

Nevada

4.01/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Wow! New Belgium can make a pretty damn good IPA! This is a remarkable IPA with incredible drinkability, yes an IPA which serves the "beer snob" well and will also satisfy the newbie of craft beer.

The appearance of this IPA is nearly flawless. Wonderful head that sticks around, excellent lacing and wonderful , surprisingly clear darker yellow, color. The smell is quite pleasant but not profound. You get some hops and citrus just what you'd expect, I did not get any pine but apparently may others have. The taste is wonderful with a barrage of hops but none of them overpowering or overly hoppy. In the end you don't get much hoppiness but plenty of subtle citrus. The mouth-feel is phenomenal, not too carbonated and all very subtle and smooth. I often talk about balance and that's exactly what this beer has. Wonderful hops but not overbearing and a great intro style for the newcomers. Highly recommended to anyone!

11-16-2013 06:10:40 | More by Khad
ale1

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

ranger hit the local mart here a few months ago another from new belgium ,poured into a malt glass, good carbonation, and lacing appears dry hopped with simco or similar hop , pretty good hop bite with dry finish no unusual synth. flavors from accelarated brewing or foaming additives
, malt yep some there barley even , found this to be a good ipa and hope they do well with this. Some better than the other fat tire offerings, and their competition

price - about same for this style from other brewers

11-14-2013 01:10:18 | More by ale1
Omnium

3.84/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours a nice clear yellow gold with a finger of thick foamy white head, thick lacing.
S - There's a big lack on aroma here, you do get some nice dank hop aroma, pine needles, grass, caramel and biscuit malt, orange marmalade, citrus zest, but its kinda subdued.
T - Taste is primarily of pine, then you get some nice citrus flavors, medium on the biscuity malt, slight caramel.
M - Not the best, but still good, medium feel, good bitterness level.
O - Good IPA, not the kind to rave about, but a solid take on an American style.

11-13-2013 04:37:33 | More by Omnium
tmm313

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Super clear amber color. Poured a thick, foamy two finger head that quickly dissipated. Nice lacing.

Smell: Orange, tropical fruit, grapefruit, lemon, pine, and a little dank.

Taste: Piney hops and orange up front, followed by grapefruit, citrus rind, earthy spice, and bigger pine over a nice malt backbone. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Gets better as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Light with crisp carbonation. Slightly oily, bitter finish.

Overall: This was a super refreshing IPA. Nothing too overpowering and nicely balanced. Dangerously sessionable. This would probably be the perfect bridge for someone wanting to get into IPAs. I foresee this beer taking up too much space in my fridge for sure.

10-29-2013 18:36:05 | More by tmm313
TrySomeBrews

4.46/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I find this to be one of the best IPA's you can get for the price. It tastes as good as a lot of other pricier craft IPA brews and is more drinkable than most. It is very simple for an IPA but has all the necessary qualities; pine and floral hops, grapefruit and citrus up front and in the finish a very light malt backbone. Although there is nothing really special coming through this brew does everything right and the price can't be beat.

10-19-2013 21:49:23 | More by TrySomeBrews
I3eck

3.41/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle -> Wine Glass

A: Crystal clear pale amber with orange hue, 1/4" white head, some splotchy lacing.
S: Musty hops, citrus, herbaceous.
T: Piney hops, citrus/grapefruit, bitter lingering finish.
M: Medium to light bodied, thin, decent CO2, only thing that hangs around is the bitter hop finish.
O: Hops are about the only thing I'm getting here. Not much complexity or body. Little too thin and astringent for me. I enjoy the initial flavor but the finish is a bit of a let down

10-09-2013 00:37:19 | More by I3eck
Chiefy770

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

A thick and fluffy foam head formed (2 fingers deep). Great lacing. The body is translucent gold.

You can smell the hops right away. Pretty decent backbone of fruit.

Hops are the first things I tasted. There is an herbal taste that I cannot quite describe. Bitter notes of citrus come out in the aftertaste. Light to medium carbonation makes this a fairly easy beer to throw down.

Overall this is a pretty good American IPA. The light body brings the hops to life.

Bottom Line: Great IPA, full of flavor... not recommended for those who do not like IPAs.

10-08-2013 23:29:32 | More by Chiefy770
Franziskaner

Missouri

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Amber to almost an amber orange in appearance. A fingernail of white foam rests on top. Aroma is a strong pine like hop aroma with some light biscuity malt. The flavor is very bitter and like biting into a grapefruit. Very fresh hop flavoring. A bit of a thick and sticky mouthfeel. Finish is long lingering bitter fade.

10-08-2013 22:40:29 | More by Franziskaner
Knox_Worrell

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into my Duuel Pint glass.

Appearance: Not as much head as expected but left some promising foam streaks along the upper edge of my Duuel pint glass. Mostly copper color with a tinge of gold

Smell: Smell was very citrus-y but not overwhelming as there was a distinct piney hops aroma as well. Very pleasant. Caught a bit more of a spicy pine smell as a drank the beer.

Taste: Very easy to drink. Could taste a lot of pine hops along with lemon and grapefruit suggestions. Had an earthy taste that I couldn't recognize. Something that seemed to add a bit of a spicy flavor but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Mouthfeel: Very refreshing and smooth with almost no unpleasant aftertaste. Stayed pretty fresh in the glass for a short period of maybe 15 minutes or so. Better than some beers that turn skunky pretty quickly (i,e, Heineken, Sam Adams)

Overall: An excellent offering from New Belgium. Couldn't stop drinking it until I was through the 6-pack lethally quick. Definitely a good starter beer for someone being introduced to IPAs or just a stalwart addition to a variety pack of a craft beer lover!

09-27-2013 04:49:01 | More by Knox_Worrell
TangTKE402

3.84/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured from a 16oz. can into a Guinness Imperial Pint glass. Mostly clear, the color of hay with a white 2-finger head that lingers. Really nice lacing (sticky!) that circles the glass.

S: Hop-forward with a definite barley mash backbone. Light, dry hops that invite without overpowering. Aromas of dry grass, light pine needles, granola. Light and appealing.

T: The taste is clean and light, but well-defined. Good hop character balances the toasted malts. It has a grainy, earthy flavor up-front with a warm hoppy finish and dry linger. Flavors of toasted barley, light hops, Triscuits, dried pine needles, and grass.

M: Clean and smooth with a bone-dry finish. This won't clog your senses like some IPAs, and it provides a nice gentle hoppiness to cut the grainy texture. Light and sessionable.

O: This beer is a great example of an IPA with consistent quality. It's not too much of anything, but what it tries to be (fresh, clean, drinkable) it achieves every time.

Serving type: can

09-20-2013 22:03:54 | More by TangTKE402
joeworrall

Arizona

3.81/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade hops are delicious, but a bit grassy for my taste, and the malt to pale to have much influence over the dominance of the hops. The golden color and generous head are delighful to look at... This is a very drinkable IPA, but not as tasty as New Belgium's Rampant Imperal IPA

09-19-2013 03:09:52 | More by joeworrall
Georgiabeer

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad beer by any stretch, but for me this beer is just a bit too thick and grainy- particularly in the taste and finish. I prefer either a leaner, dryer IPA, or one that is sweeter and thinner with more of a honeyed note to the malt. When I get a grainier, thicker one like this, I can't help but think of a mash that has been inefficiently sparged. I'm not saying that's the case here, just what it puts me in mind of. The hops are fine, if a little tame. I'd like either to see some more citrus tang or more of a piney blast- particularly to cut through the graininess. What you get instead is a respectable but slightly boring blend of the two with any earthy note underpinning it all. For me, this is the kind of beer I drink when I'm eating at someplace that doesn't really have a real beer list, but they've got this. In other words, it'll do in a pinch.

09-17-2013 15:20:10 | More by Georgiabeer
wiegs4life

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. I got it from the folly pack.

A - Pours a nice copper color with a minimal amount of head.

S - I smelled some pine hops with some citrus aroma.

T - Tasted pretty standard to me, hops were balanced well and what I likes most is the barley syrup that allows a nice finish.

M - Light to medium body and mild carbonation allow the pine hops to come out as it gets warmer.

O - Overall, this was pretty standard. I know this isn't there flagship beer, but its better than other than other mainstream IPA's.

09-10-2013 11:08:45 | More by wiegs4life
JackMcAwesome

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

I picked this up at a local grocery store where it was 3 for 7 bucks. I wasn't sure what to expect, thinking maybe they were old, or bad, or just didn't sell well. So...

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Look: Pretty solid on all fronts. A fluffy white head that brings on some serious lacing. The brew is a crystal clear gold.

Smell: The standard notes you usually get with a wallop of cascade/chinook. Awesome citrus and floral goodness. I thought I detected a hint of banana at first. I'll see if I can pick up more on it as the beer warms.

Taste: I've been on a pumpkin ale kick for quite a while, so maybe that's why, but this thing packed a punch! I wish I had some higher IBUs around, so I could compare, but this seems like a bit more than 70. Obviously in a good way. Definitely some sweetness at the end. Makes for a very well balanced brew.

Feel: Medium/Light bodied, with a nice dry texture. I'm not too crazy about slick beers, and this one isn't one of those. Very clean.

Overall: I was extremely surprised. I was judging it by the price, having never heard of it, and it paid dividends! I also just got done mowing the lawn, and it made for a very awesome session of cooling down and relaxing.

09-07-2013 23:29:53 | More by JackMcAwesome
mreatsum

Indiana

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I have been pretty new to the IPA market as of late. I have drank a lot of the great ones (in my area), I love a full hoppy beer. In my opinion Ranger IPA is so-so. It has a nice rich color of copper. Very little head. The aroma is excellent. The first taste is also very good. But that is where it stops. For an advertised 70 IBU there is no bite from the hops. You still get that pine, citrus feel in your mouth, but only when you drink. It has no staying power. The sweetness of the hops are non existent. It is smooth and well balanced. I would say it could be an IPL also. It's a decent session beer if only the ABV were a bit lower, the 6.5 does nothing to help. Worth a try, you will definitely love the way your belches taste.

09-07-2013 05:12:30 | More by mreatsum
bamafan

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%

BIG piney hops! super crazy head stands up and stays there. the smell of this beer is is all evergreen and spicy hops. taste is big pine with some resiny notes on aftertaste. BIG carbonation and easy drinkability for a more alcoholic beer. (6.5%). If you enjoy american style I.P.A.s then this beer is a no brainer.

09-07-2013 01:15:23 | More by bamafan
klmcmachen

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

This was my first experience with IPA's I have to admit I was inexperienced when I gave this beer its first assessment. It was not a fair assessment. A friend of mine told me to keep on trying IPA's, and I did. I came back to Ranger and found that I did like it better than the original assessment, but it is still not the best. The mouth feel is nice, but and the smell is standard of an IPA, but I found the taste unbalanced. It is all hops, and that's it. Perhaps they could take a page from DogFish.

Original assessment:
I love New Belgium Brewing products, but this was hard to swallow. The smell was very hoppy with a hint of mid-eastern spices. I also smelled something like a desert weed. The taste was not like it smelled. It tasted like grass brewed in hairspray. I was very disappointed. This was my first IPA and I will have to say it will take a lot of courage to try another. Maybe I will have to grow my pallet for this style of beer. I will try some more and if my taste for IPA changes, I may revise this review. Otherwise I cannot say that I like it at this time.

09-05-2013 19:26:11 | More by klmcmachen
IPA_OR_NOTHING

Nebraska

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

It has been a while since I tried Ranger and if I remember correctly I was sadly disappointed by New Belgium's first release of this IPA. However, I am giving it a second try and must say for a single IPA this is a good IPA, not great mind you but a butt ton better than the last two IPAs I have had to date. The color is what I expect a light honey and a pout that creates a nice head and dissipates evenly across the top of the beer. My first smell off the top surprised right away I detected that nice grapefruit smell. The first taste went in quite well as the beer sat on my tongue the bitterness spread evenly across my palate and then cleared out right after I swallowed the beer down. The residual beer taste in my mouth was pleasant enough to warrant a second taste just to make sure I wasn't deceiving myself, and then of course a third and fourth and so on and so forth. NB you all did a great job in improving this IPA.

09-05-2013 00:37:10 | More by IPA_OR_NOTHING
Radome

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A - Burnished golden color, some orange; extremely clear. Head is bone-colored and made of extremely fine bubbles. Does not pile very high, but remains as a significant lacy covering across the beer and sheets of lace on the glass.

S - Aromas are dominated by NW US hops. They are earthy, pine-like and a bit "catty" with some lemon or lemongrass. There is a small amount of graham cracker from the malt. The impression is clean and fresh.

T - The taste is also dominated by hops. Strong, sharp hops bitterness that matches with resiny, grape fruit flavors. Some hints of bready malt in the mid-palate, then a clean, dry finish. Not much complexity.

M - Light to medium body. Sharp bitterness that almost seems soapy. Light alcohol sensation. Creamy carbonation.

O - Overall, a pretty good IPA, but it doesn't stand out for me. It doesn't have a great depth of flavor or aroma to me, and there is no single characteristic that stands out.

09-04-2013 04:12:02 | More by Radome
ssteakley

Washington

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

There is some truth in the evolution of rating beer. Just a month ago I would have been
Much happier with Ranger IPA. But after rating over 10 so-so to excellent PNW brews, I am not very impressed with Ranger at all, it is just OK. Maybe it should be re-marketed as a Summer Ale?

09-02-2013 01:07:11 | More by ssteakley
ISmith87

Arizona

3.89/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked this up a while ago, haven't had a chance to try until now. Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

A - 4.0 - Looks good, nothing amazing. Somewhat hazy golden-amber color with a good 2 fingers of white head that sticks around and leaves a nice sheet of lacing.

S - 4.0 - Citrusy, piney hops with a hint of onion and garlic. Not too intense here, pretty much what I would expect for an IPA in this price range. A little bit of balance by bready malt in the background.

T- 3.75 - Mostly a piney hops flavor first with citrus notes coming second, pretty bitter. Not too many specific fruit flavors coming out. Maybe a little bit of grapefruit and non-specific citrus zest (but that's mostly just bitterness).

M - 4.00 - Light mouthfeel, covering the alcohol pretty well, leaves that feeling of bitterness in your mouth, but not the spicy/citrus flavors that I would really want.

O - 4.00 - It's alright. Not great, just alright. It's really good if you've only had the big commercial "craft" beers (IE Sam Adams, Leinie's, basic Sierra Nevada stuff, and of course New Belgium). I wouldn't buy it again.

08-25-2013 20:06:08 | More by ISmith87
cjgator3

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a golden amber color with an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty typical of an IPA with some citrusy hops and some malt in the background.

T- The taste like the aroma is highlighted by the hops bitterness in the finish with some malty sweetness up front.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, this is a pretty good IPA that is worth a try.

08-24-2013 01:43:45 | More by cjgator3
blaje

Quebec (Canada)

3.59/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First time I had the occasion to drink this IPA. By the beach @ Myrtle Beach for vacation, this bacame my week long beer on hot august days by the see...
Shirt and sweet review:
First impression of this IPA: very good, but drinking it for the entire week, i do found it a bit thin, a bit more malt whould have boosted its backbone. Nevertheless, this IPA gave me what I've wanted. Crisp and sharp, bitter and not to long aftertaste so you do not ruine your palate after a few ones! Nose and flavor reminiscent of most IPAs tasted so far except a funky nose and taste of weed...
For my first New Belgium beer, I'm having a really good impression. Comming accross their other products, I'll give them a try...

08-21-2013 01:38:15 | More by blaje
Oldscramch

2.95/5  rDev -22%

A: Very nice light orange color, white head leaving thin lacing.

S: Almost no smell

T: Tastes dry, slightly pine, overpowered citrus notes

M: Great texture, smooth to drink, light carbonation

O: Better than their Rampage, but not a great IPA. I don't think I'll be buying many New Belgium brews; no great hits for me.

08-12-2013 02:26:54 | More by Oldscramch