Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

pDev: 13%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,273 | Reviews: 1,254
3.24/5  rDev -14.1%

This isn't the beer made by this brewery to reach for first. This is just an average IPA with a good nose. It doesn't disappoint, but nothing special.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Really enjoy this beer, bold flavor great finish. All around solid for a common beer and not too pricey

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Has a really dark hoppy taste. I could have sworn that the recipe has changed because about 5 years ago, this beer definitely had a light hoppy taste

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A clear golden amber brew that releases a good sized head that has good retention and slow fade that leaves quite a bit of decoration on the glass. Smell is a comfortable blend of caramel malt and piney hops. Taste is solid but unremarkable. Light caramel,piney hops, a leafiness with a hint of mint. Medium light weight and gentle carbonation. Quite quaffable. Not a standout but a good brew.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Unsurprising but solid all around.

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

When poured into a glass, the color of the beer pouring into the glass in pretty nice, a light, golden brown. When in the glass, it is the same nice light golden brown, with a 2 finger white foamy head that sticks around for a minute or two before it settles down to a light layer of bubbles on top. Decent lacing down the glass as you drink.

The smell is nothing spectacular. Certainly;y doesn't smell bad, but seems to smell just like a typical IPA to me. Nothing spectacular, and nothing bad at all.

The taste is actually very good. IPAs are not my style of choice usually, but I do enjoy a good one every now and then. At first it is nice and smooth, with a strong and full taste in the mouth. As you swallow the full taste begins to come through and you start to get the hops on the tongue and the back of the mouth. Generally, a good tasting IPA.

The mouthfeel i s also really good. Smooth, not too carbonated, easy to drink.

Good beer, recomneded

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful. An easy-to-find great IPA that has what you'd expect and exceeds preconceptions. Very drinkable and refreshing. A much more flowery, herbal hop profile.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is extremely drinkable while maintaining the taste of a good IPA.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

My last bottle of this one from the Folly pack. Poured into a standard pint glass right out of the fridge as my leftover pizza was reheating in the microwave.

Like all of New Belgium's beers I've had so far, this is a nice-looking beer. Dark golden color, mostly clear with those little upward-streaming bubbles. A good bit of head, too, even though I took care not to pour too fast. White and bubbly, hangs around a bit before shrinking into a thin layer on top. Like the Abbey dubbel from the same brewery, the head leaves a good bit of a bubbly trail behind as you drink.

Smells, well, completely different than I ever thought a beer could smell before I tried my first one! Absolutely no "standard beer smell" here--it's like pine needles and some sort of fruit I can't quite identify. Maybe not quite like pine, more like some other similar tree... but definitely a coniferous needle tree smell.

Taste is similar, but way more pine than fruit (though the fruit is what I taste more of when I burp.) Seems to wipe all other flavors from my tongue as it goes, even spicy peppers and pizza. Interestingly, I'm actually tasting juuuust a bit of a bready malt flavor sometimes now, though the piney hops are definitely the dominant flavor here. I'm not sure if that's the influence of food bringing it out more, or if my taste buds aren't quite as overwhelmed by the hops as when I first tried this... but either way, I'm enjoying this one more than my first (and the first wasn't bad, just strong.) It's definitely more noticeably bitter than any other beer I've had (including the Rampant imperial IPA, interestingly!), getting almost a little overwhelmingly so as I get toward the bottom of the glass, but I imagine at 70 IBUs it'd be strange if it wasn't at least a bit on the bitter side. I just wish the fruitiness I smelled here was more apparent in the taste, rather than the piney flavor overpowering it.

Feels pretty nice, especially on the first few sips. It's fizzy but doesn't feel harsh because of it--almost the opposite, the fizziness actually seems to add something.

Overall... I have a hard time rating this because it's just so different from other beers I've had that it's hard to make a comparison, but it's been a pretty enjoyable experience both times I've had it and works pretty well with food. This beer has taught me that IPAs aren't something to fear, even as a fairly new beer drinker who'd never had anything with more than 23 IBUs previously. (though trying one or two bottles/glasses first rather than going for a full six-pack would probably be wise if ypu've never had an IPA before.) I do think I'll probably make my next "hoppy" beer something a bit milder like a pale ale or a pilsner rather than another IPA, though--I'm just not quite used to such strong hop flavors and bitterness yet.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I take Sam Adams Rebel over this one. It's a good option but not too impressed. So many great IPAs out there that this isn't on my wants list

Like drinking an evergreen forest.

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New Belgium's Ranger IPA - pretty good, but also nothing outstanding as well. I was impressed with it's look and smell. It had good lacing, a great dark golden color, and a rich citrusy smell, but outside of that, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. There was plenty of after-taste for a normal IPA beer. Again, it was better than average, for me, but nothing I would go out of my way to partake of.

This is a solid IPA and a great example of the style. The smell is all hops, and it's predominantly pine. The taste is mouthwatering; loads of pine, citrus, grass, and some juicy fruits coat the tounge. It ends with just the right amount of bitterness. I really like the feel of this beer. It starts off with an in the face hop bomb but the malt balances it out just enough to leave the mouth watering and wanting more. Great IPA

After drinking, I realized I don't like IPAs!

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

This is pretty good.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Great ipa!

4.76/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I don't know why, but I am in love with this beer. I will probably catch hell for this, but I could say that this beer is as good as O'Dell's IPA. Though the rankings don't show it. I would recommend people give this beer another shot.

4.07/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Stands out from other new Belgium products. I nice crisp IPA that has a very strong dry hop flavor. Very earthy but not too overbearing for an IPA

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

I've had this many times. It's a very good, readily available IPA. Nothing amazing, but very solid and reliable.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (marked "enjoy by 08FEB15").

Appearance: Clear golden amber. Frothy, lasting white head with some lacing.

Smell: Layers of hops: resin, lemon rind, and some vegetal notes.

Taste: Slightly toasty, caramel malt under piney, herbal, citrus hops. Good bitterness throughout.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, slight oiliness and medium carbonation.

Overall: A solid IPA with balanced malt and plenty of hop character.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Pretty durn good. Not quite strong as I like my IPA's but still immensely hoppy. If you're craving some intense hops content but you're not looking to get super drunk I recommend this beer strongly. It has a very strong hops flavor, but it is still very smooth. I recommend this to anyone who has the chance to sample it and will continue to keep it in my personal roster.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Transparent orange with fluffy white head. Aroma of citrus and rind, grass, grapefruit, and pine. Flavors of citrus, pine, mint, grapefruit, lemon skins, and bitterness comes smoothly followed by some booze. Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a stange glass. It looks light orange, pours a decent head that dissipates quickly, and is very clear with no floaties.

It smells like dank hops with orange and grapefruit coming through clearly. I don't get a huge smell, but it is a lot like Lagunitas IPA in my honest estimation.

Tastes like it smells. It is very crisp and smooth. I don't get any alcohol on this one. The mouthfeel is very clean as well, and the taste lingers for just a moment before going away completely.

This is my go-to IPA. The price is quite reasonable, and being sold in 12-packs of 12 oz. cans is the best format around for beer. At 6.5% you get a ton a flavor without too much alcohol although after a few you will definitely be buzzed. Price is right, very good (actually somewhat underrated), very easy to get, and great for when your hosting a party or guests are coming over.

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

Not good at all.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Right now I'm drinking a can but I've also had it on tap and in the bottle.
Opening the can releases a resiny hop nose with some pine and floral accents
pours brilliant amber gold under 2” dense off-white foam head – lacy and slowly dissipating.
Big malt blended with fruit such as melon and citrus attacks the palate and leads to a hop accented finish.
The beer offers up a rick range of hop flavors.
Medium body and carbonation. Two cans fit in my cargo short pockets - sweet.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing