Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,233 | Hads: 5,516
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a clear golden color with a big white head that slowly fades and leaves a ton of lacing all over the glass.

S: The nose is excellent, full of mango and other tropical fruits. Really one of the better smelling IPAs I've come across that's not imperial.

T: The taste is tropical fruits from the nose and a hop bitterness on the finish. Not exactly a huge complex IPA but a great flavor for a typical IPA.

M: The feel is light but crisp and refreshing.

D: Great for when you want that great fruity IPA taste but not a huge amount of hop bitterness. I could drink many of these in a night.

This is no Bells Two Hearted but it's one of the better IPAs available in my area. I'll be keeping this one around on occasion.

2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours from the bottle a surprisingly clear, orangey-brown cider color. About a half inch of white head. Smell is new to me for an IPA; immediately there's a pencil eraser/Windex note, though it's not necessarily unpleasant, just odd. Light mint and lemon join in. Taste is pretty bitter at first and that chemical/plastic flavor is still there, but malt and minty hops join in an odd Goldfish-cracker finish.

Body is pretty light and easy-drinking, but a harsh, salty bitterness settles in the throat, making for mouthfeel characteristics that I don't enjoy. The combination of strange flavors and the unpleasant mouthfeel didn't make this a good drinking experience. Drainpour.

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured this from the bottle into a nice rounded snifter. Ample white head that laces very well and dissipated down to a crown slowly. Aroma is bountiful from the initial pour all the way to the bottom. Pine is the initial hop aroma, with citrus following to sweeten the scent. Taste is a very bitter pine initially with the sweet citrus following. Feel is very crisp, almost a bit dry with ample carbonation. Light to medium body, and an oily finish. Extremely drinkable, and enjoyable. Overall a great India Pale Ale.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Picked up a 22 of this deliciousness seeing that, well, it was the first time I'd seen an NB IPA. Intrigued, I popped the top and poured it into a frozen 0.5L glass.

Head was present but not thick... no foam mustache for me. Initial taste reminded me more of a straight Pale Ale. Most NB brews don't hit you in the face with hops anyways, so one can say it was consistent with their brewing style.

Very easy to drink but not one you'd want to gulp down fast just because you can. 2.5/3 cheers for New Belgium's IPA attempt, nothing special but still durn yummy.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe. Beer was a dark orange color, with a one-finger off-white head. Heavy carbonation and intricate lacing around the glass.

Aroma was moderate hops, citrus and bread.

Taste was moderately bitter hops, caramel, grains and bread.

Very drinkable and balanced, but would prefer a little more hop bitter bite to it. Still, easy drinking a nice addition to the NB lineup.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Crystal clear, golden amber with a 1/2 inch of nice off white head. Some scattered lace.

Floral hop aroma, some citrus with some fruity malt scents. Smells of peaches, oranges, pummelo and light, sweet grain.

Tastes of peaches with a light pine burst. Light caramel, with a light malt backbone. Biscuit malts and very clean without being harsh and overly complex.

Medium/carb, light mouth feel, and creamy. Good for the style. Highly drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out clear and straw-colored, forming a finger's worth of soft white foam on top. As that head decays, it drags a thick wall of lace (not much lacing after that unfortunately), and eventually settles as a thick, creamy cap. Body is crystal clear and straw-colored, as witnessed during the pour.

Smell: Pungent herbal hops atop a sturdy, toasted malt backbone. Nice. Examining it closer, I find distinct and resinous Chinooks, grapefruit, caramel, and the classic New Belgium biscuit malt. Nothing else is really coming to mind, but the nose on this IPA certainly has some complexity to it.

Taste: Bready malts come forth first, but resinous hops pull through for a bitter, fruity, and herbal finish. Bitterness is solid. A touch of alcohol combines with the resinous hops in the finish. I also get a bit of bubble gum. Pretty basic overall, but nicely put together.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter, oily, and chewy. Carbonation is on the lower end, though there's still a nice prickle in this beer (not from the carbonation) that I'm really enjoying. Creamy too. Medium-bodied. A lot going on - I dig it.

Drinkability: Definitely unique. Well put together too. Still, I don't know if I'd buy this IPA again. It's nice, but I can't imagine myself drinking this all the time. Maybe Ranger just isn't the IPA for me.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

I really didnt know what to expect with this one. New Belgium isnt exactly famous for its American style hoppy beers so I was a bit leary with this one. No need to worry; solid brewers tend to make solid beers and this was no exception.

Pours from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass a golden amber color with a taught, stark white head.

Aroma is full of citrus hops. Orange and grapefruit shine in this one and lend plenty of island images, although the weather is miserable out. A nice malt backbone assists with a touch of toastiness that lends well to the overall aroma.

Exquisitely flavored with floral and citrus hops. The citrus hops, mainly in the orange variety, make their way to the palate and deliver a very nice punch. Quite bitter. Sweetness of the malt balances slightly but the hop bitterness and flavor shine and turn me on.

Dry on the tongue and pallate. Dry finish and starkly bitter. A really nice example of the style that certainly lends toward the bitter end. I am all about the bitterness! Hard to beat for the price. Bought a six pack and will easily breeze through this one.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Burnt orange body with dandelion accents when held to a light source. Dirty white head leaves webs of lace as I drink. . Nice citrusy aroma with grapefruit and tangerine the main players. Subtle and sweet caramel malt aroma too. Nice pungent hoppiness on the buds. Not quite as bright as the nose was leading me to believe. Some bitter pithy grapefruit tones and resinous, smoky residuals. Meidum full body with moderate carbonation. Solid enough IPA.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured In: Snifter

Appearance: The pour is a clear amber orange color with two fingers of fluffy, dense head. The head retention is great. It sat on top for about a half hour and then faded away. A lot of lacing on the side of my glass as well. With each sip a new thick circle forms around the side of my glass. After filling up the snifter again the lace went away. I gave the glass a few swirls and the lace was back covering all sides of the glass.

Smell: The nose is a mixture of, as expecting, hops and malt. The hops are the winner between the two, but the malt presence is enough to lend some pale malt and caramel malt aroma. The hops present grass, pine and then some fruit including mango, grapefruit, orange and pummelo.

Taste: The tasting starts out with some malt providing an initial sweetness which then gets taken over by bittering and flavorful hops. The hops present more herbal notes, in fact that is the predominant hop flavor on the palate. The aftertaste brings a nice citrus orange and grapefruit flavor.

Mouthfeel: Above average amount of carbonation, but it's not harsh on the tongue, even at the beginning. A nice creamy mouth feel and medium bodied.

Drinkability: Given that the beer is relatively new, I think it was a great time to give it a try. I think, and this is pure speculation, but I think that this wouldn't be as good within a few months. Sure, most IPAs are meant to be drank quickly, but this one doesn't pack a load of hops into it, which is completely fine, but it also reduces the hop life on it.

The twelve ounce bottle makes it an easy beer to sip on during a weeknight.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear, golden color. 3/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of slight earthly malt, strong floral hops, sweet malt, and citrus (pomegranate). Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is slightly smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of floral hops, earthy malt, sweet malt, and citrus. Overall, great appearance with a good body and blend.

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%

A: 2-finger lingering white head, moderate lacing, deep golden straw color

S: bright hop aroma, pine, grapefruit, slight apple

T: great hop bite up front, clean, bright burst of orange

M: very clean hop mouthfeel, crisp but decent density

D: great effort from NB, sessionable and refreshing; only negative is a watered-down IPA feel, closer akin to a bright pale

Perhaps my palate has grown to accustomed to west coast IPAs, but Ranger lost points with me because of its style label. If NB advertised it as a PA, my review would probably reflect that in a stronger score.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

My fears came true with this beer. The flavor profile for Mighty Arrow that changed when the beer went to retail has seemingly resurfaced.
Pours a nice golden color with a fluffy white head that doesn't need an aggressive pour to bring out. Lacing? Yup - got that covered. Looks pretty much perfect to be honest.
The smell is of the wild hops I've seen hiking. I think that's the Simcoe hops or the house yeast that adds its own barnyard character to things. I honestly don't like it.
The flavor's the same. Little to no malt or grain flavors, just that wild citric, funky hop/yeast character over and over in each sip.
The body's fine and I do like the texture, but after ½ bottle of this I'd had more than enough.
This beer tastes very much like the first batch of Mighty Arrow that I got from the brewery a couple years ago. I like their Belgian beers, but I don't care for this one.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was a quarter inch of foamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: A solid aroma of hops, citrus, and a piney quality.

T: Tasted of citrus (grapefruit), bitter hops, pine resin, and a bit of malt. Not the most complex or vibrant of flavors, but pleasant enough.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a dry finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable beer with some solid characteristics, but don't expect too much from it.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

A: The pour into a pint glass gives a clear golden amber color with a thin layer of cream colored foam which sticks to the wall of the glass.

S: The nose is quite a bit better than I was expecting. Some pleasant grapefruit and pine aromas up front along with the bready malt on the back end.

T: This one is surprisingly bitter, much more so than I thought it would be. The citrus is more of an after thought with plenty of resinous pine on the beginning and the finish. Not too much in the way of malt.

M: The body is a touch thin, but still in the medium range with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D: An easy drinking IPA, but there are certainly a lot better examples out there. That said, it's nice to see New Belgium putting some more beers out there.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

I had this on tap before, so I kinda had an idea of what to expect.
A bright light golden color, clear and clean. A good head this time as I poured it. Billowing white, some chunkiness in there.

The citrus aroma is quick and strong, as soon as the cap popped.
Mild biscuit lingers in the background.
I like this as an A-IPA. It's citrus notes and clean bite seem to me like a great example of this style. It's not over the top and the abv is manageable.
Nice finish. Juicy at the end.

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

Had a pitcher of this brew at Twain's in Atlanta while hanging out with friends and shooting some pool. Served up with some pint glasses.

A: Pours a coppery orangish color with just a hint of yellow to it. Each pour from the pitcher easily got a good finger of foamy white head. The head had little retention, falling somewhat quickly after the pour to a thin ring. What head that did stick around, had some stick of its own and put up some decent lace on the glass. Body was clear with a decent amount of carbonation activity.

S: Uh . . . PINE. Lots of pine. Copious amounts of pine. Smells like the Southern woods or a 1988 Caddilac with a class rearview air freshner. Behind all of this pine, I am getting some orange peel and some grapefruit. Little bit of malty goodness in here but its tough for it to push its way through this hoppy crowd.

T: More pine as well. Riding a fine line of being too much pine for my liking. Its is a bit astrigent and industrial cleaner at times, but it doesn't cross the line of being nasty. The other flavors keep this experience in check with some good grapefruit flavors and various other citrus as well. There is an herbal note here I can't put my finger on. The best part is that the malts do play a role here, adding some sweetness and cutting some of that pine and hops bitterness.

M: Light side of medium in body with a medium carbonation. The carbonation keeps this beer light and easy drinking. Easy to put down and not too heavy on the palate. A little bit oily but nothing obtrusive. Alcohol isn't playing a role here for me at all. Aftertaste is pine and citrus.

D: This pitcher was an easy kill and enjoyable. It does have a good amount of earthiness to it along with all that pine, probably why we have the Ranger name. Its not the greatest IPA out there but its good. With the price of a six pack of this, I can see this venturing into my fridge from time to time. Not bad at all.

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz bottle into a Corsendonk tulip pours a crisp bubbly orange with a very nice frothy off-white head that lasts and leaves great lacing on the glass. Aroma is slight citrus hops in front of some mild sweet malts. The taste is a nice amount of lingering bitter citrus hops in front of sweet malts. The beer is on the light side of medium with decent carbonation and slight dryness. This is a very enjoyable IPA, one I could certainly see myself picking up again.

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

A - Clear tangerine brew with a two finger fluffy white head. Tons of good lookin' lace sticks to the glass, and head retention is pretty dang good. The lace on this one is so abundant and crusty that I'm seriously worried about washing this glass afterwards... that stuff is really stuck on there!

S - I could smell tons of pine forest hops when I cracked the top on this one! This definitely has a northwest hop profile, and the bottle lists simcoe, cascade, and chinook hops... oh yeah. Classic grapefruit and pine sap notes abound, with top notes of apricot and mango. The malt undercurrent is definitely just the support for those classic hop aromas, but I can smell some biscuity notes in there.

T - This is a lot more balanced than the super-hoppy nose would suggest, but that ain't to say the the hops aren't there in full force. This is sweet and a bit toasty like an amber ale initially, then a massive tsunami of hops washes over the tongue and lays waste to any malt flavor that you were tasting just five seconds ago. There is a spicy rye-like note that really compliments the bitter grapefruit notes. Good stuff!

M - Medium bodied, solid, and well constructed. Soft and creamy at first, then astringent and angular as that blast of hops obliterates the palate. Finishes hoppy and spicy with a ten minute finish.

D - This brew is like the classic example of IPA-ness. If you were trying to explain beer styles to someone new to craft beer, I can think of "classic" examples of many styles and this would definitely (along with something like Two Hearted) be the best example of what an IPA should be. Excellent stuff!

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

I met this beer one stormy Saturnday night. It was raining so hard that it was impossible to find my car. Ranger offered me a ride home. I couldn't stop looking at it from the corner of my eye. It was so damn beautiful. And it smelled great, too. As the traffic lights passed us by and we made our way West, a strange feeling overtook me: I wanted a taste. But how to proceed? I thought about it for awhile, and as we pulled up to my building and Ranger turned off the engine I lunged with no hesitation. And it was magnificent. Citrusy, piney, with just the right amount of malt backing up the sweet punch to my senses. I awoke the next day to an empty bed, but with a phone number written on a napkin and placed beneath my pillow. Will I wait two days? No.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

P: Presented in a 12 oz., brown bottle with a hop-centric label illustration. Copy details use of Simcoe, Cascade and Chinook hops.

A: Pours a light copper color with a frothy head that quickly dissipates to a thin rimming of foam. Leaves behind an artful legacy of lacing on glass.

S: Citrus and pine.

T: Opens with a big citrus hit of tart grapefruit that's followed by an astringent scratch and burnt offerings of toast and brown sugar. Well-balanced with a firm malt foundation. Finishes with a smooth blast of moderately bitter hops.

M: Medium-bodied and lightly carbonated with a luxuriously creamy mouthfeel.

D: Well-balanced and approachably bitter, any hopinista worth their IBUs will appreciate Ranger IPA's exceptional drinkability.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

very light golden color. crystal clear. head was good at first but didn't take long to wane

nicely hoppy aroma: simcoe and chinook. with a touch of sweetness

strong hop flavors and bitterness: grassy and piney...very fresh. a touch of bready malt somethingorother but the hops are really what's going on

it's eminently drinkable. goes right down (unless you want it to). the hopping is wonderful but what else do i have to work with?

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

I had this on tap 1st and from 2oz bottle second.

Draft review: Got on draft at Vintner's Wine market in Charlotte, was not sure about this but was pleasantly surprised at the nice floral smell and color. Taste was a slightly bitter hops, citrus, & pine...very surprised at how well this this beer both taste and smells.

Drinkability is excellent, it's not too heavy and I really liked it. From the bottle it too was good (not as good as draft) but for $2.99 a 22oz it's really a deal.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Hmmmm, i am honestly, pleasantly surprised. When i saw that NB was doing an IPA i was not sure it would come out well since they have their style, but its actually really good.

It pours a a clear medium orange/gold color with a thin foamy head. Nice lacing.

Smells of a large bouquet of floral hop spiciness, citrus, pine, the usual IPA stuff. I didn't sense much maltiness or alcohol smell from this beer. Its hoppy, but not pungent/in your face. I would think someone who is not used to or someone who likes IPA smells may actually find this pleasant.

The taste was hoppy and citrusy and just bitter enough. Slightly sweet, smooth finish. Unlike some other reviewers, i dont find it dry at all. Nice tasting burps, if that makes sense.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

Freshness Date: 09 Jul 10

A: Deep gold. Clear. Pours with about a 1/2" of fizzy white head that reduces to a sticky surface coating. Nice bit of lacing.

S: A moderate strength aroma of lemony citrus and pine.

T: Something is a bit off here. Most noticeable is an odd burnt plastic flavor - not necessarily strong, but certainly noticeable and distracting. Otherwise, seltzer and grain, with a mild to moderate bitter finish. Oddly, every once in a while I seem to be able to coax a wonderful grassy hop flavor out of this beer, but it is not consistent. Again, something isn't right with this beer.

M: On the lighter side with a heavier carbonation. Very clean.

D: An easy drinker, but with the odd flavor profile, I have little desire to try this again.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing