Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,223 | Hads: 5,434
3.97/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I poured this beer into a claret glass from a nice fresh bottle. I have had this beer often and I felt it was time to review it.

Look: Beautiful light gold, the light shines through with an almost heavenly glow like the sunlight that grew the hops themselves. The head depends on how vigorously you pour it but it will linger and lace with the best of them. It is white and made of semi-fine bubbles that faded to a thin cap.

Smell: The hop dominated aroma is luscious and juicy apricot, peach, tropical fruit, and bubblegum. The malt aroma is exhibited with flourishes of honeysuckle, honeycomb, and toasted cracker-like hues.

Taste: The taste follows the smell of apricots, peaches, and pine but with a definite and bold floral burst. There is a lot of spicy, peppery hops here. The malt character is sweet and delicate, almost over shone by the bitterness but in a well-done and expressive way.

Feel: Smooth yet with abundant carbonation that expanded on my tongue. The supple head embraces my lips with each sip. I found the amount of hop oil was apparent with a slightly coating feel in the mouth.

Overall: I call this beer the "Champagne of IPAs" because I love its carbonation and other characteristics, and the availability is astonishing. You should be able to find this beer anywhere and I factor that into a review because it shows the brewery that sends it to such rural areas of the country really care about who gets to try their beer. It stands proud against a desolate backdrop of silver boxes full of disgusting light domestic swill. Try not to drink six of these at a time. Cheers.

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Currently my favorite IPA for just kicking back and having a beer solo. Great day to day beer. Just the right amount of ABV and hops to get you in a relaxed state of mind. The piney yet grapefruit citrus tones are excellent in this beer as well.

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. pint on draft at Nanny O'Brien's Irish Pub in Cleveland Park, NW D.C.; unknown brewing/packaging date; poured into a standard pint glass; drank over 30 minutes on Tues., 01/13/2015

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

It is 6.5 abv & you can taste all 6.5 of it. Strong alcohol taste which I do not like about this beer. Has a very pineappley smell which you think you would taste but you cannot taste the pineapple only smells like pineapples. piney on the front & bitter on the back. I use to like this beer until I put it up against Jai Alai & sweet water IPA. If I'm gonna spend this much money on a domestic ipa then I would much rather spend my $ on sweet water or Jai alai. For the price this beer is not to good.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

January 14, 2015

22 oz bomber, mason jar

A – Light to medim amber. Slightly off-white foamy head. Pretty long retention and very high clarity.

S – Orange marmalade, slightly bready. Mostly light, fruity hop aroma. Something else there, possibly guava or passion fruit, very low in the mix.

T – Light marmalade and fresh pear, lightly bready but the hops are prominent. Only mild to moderate bitterness. Slightly dank.

M – Slightly resiny, sweet but leaning toward bitter. Moderate body and carbonation. Dry, bitter finish.

O – Interesting mix of flavor but not entirely pleasant. Something just a bit off.

12 0z brown bottle poured into a shaker pint. The beer is a chill hazed copper with a dense off-white head.

Nice aroma! The “C” hops are proudly 0n display. Citrus and pine all backed by some caramel malts.

The taste closely tracks the smell. Nicely bitter. A bit of pine resin working with some grapefruit. The malts add a grainy almost whole wheat cracker base.

The mouth is nicely oily and more than a touch coating.

No surprise that NB offers up a rock steady IPA.

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

From a bottle to a pint glass. Great amber color with a half inch of white head dissolving to lace. Great nose with fresh grassy hops and citrus. Taste is more citrus with secondary pine notes with what I think of as an uncharacteristic clean finish for an IPA. Not that I mind the clean finish. I like some separation between sips rather than the usually lingering bitterness. An above average IPA in my opinion, but I'm no hop head.

4.01/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with a very thin white head, no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Pleasant mild hops, citrus notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of hops/pine notes with sweeter citrus notes.

Overall: Very good IPA!

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Another from the mixed sixpack composed at Orlando Whole Foods on a Florida trip

a: Clear dark gold, finger thick white head receded to thick surface foam and dense lacing

s: Mild resin

t: Hefty biscuit malt with moderate pine hop bite. Dry finish

m: Medium, good carbonation tingle.

o: A substantial IPA, obvious quality. The hops give it a bit more punch than their fine Fat Tire Amber.

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Looks how it's supposed to, amber color with a smallish head. Surprisingly sweet nose, malt, candy, and also a bunch of fruit. Maybe some cookies. Flavor is similarly sweet; lots of fruitiness. Hop bitterness is there, although fairly subtle. Well balanced. Overall a nice, very drinkable IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden in color, pours about a half finger white head that fades quickly with lacing.
Smell: Grapefruit, Pine, Citrus in that order
Taste: Sadly mostly pine and citrus followed by a faint hint of grapefruit that quickly fades to a malt backbone, wanted more staying power here. Light bitterness remaining.
Mouthfeel: Thin, mild carbonation
Overall: Not offensive, but nothing great as far as IPA's go, with the grapefruit being so strong in the smell I was hoping for it in the flavor.

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%

This isn't the beer made by this brewery to reach for first. This is just an average IPA with a good nose. It doesn't disappoint, but nothing special.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A clear golden amber brew that releases a good sized head that has good retention and slow fade that leaves quite a bit of decoration on the glass. Smell is a comfortable blend of caramel malt and piney hops. Taste is solid but unremarkable. Light caramel,piney hops, a leafiness with a hint of mint. Medium light weight and gentle carbonation. Quite quaffable. Not a standout but a good brew.

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%

When poured into a glass, the color of the beer pouring into the glass in pretty nice, a light, golden brown. When in the glass, it is the same nice light golden brown, with a 2 finger white foamy head that sticks around for a minute or two before it settles down to a light layer of bubbles on top. Decent lacing down the glass as you drink.

The smell is nothing spectacular. Certainly;y doesn't smell bad, but seems to smell just like a typical IPA to me. Nothing spectacular, and nothing bad at all.

The taste is actually very good. IPAs are not my style of choice usually, but I do enjoy a good one every now and then. At first it is nice and smooth, with a strong and full taste in the mouth. As you swallow the full taste begins to come through and you start to get the hops on the tongue and the back of the mouth. Generally, a good tasting IPA.

The mouthfeel i s also really good. Smooth, not too carbonated, easy to drink.

Good beer, recomneded

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful. An easy-to-find great IPA that has what you'd expect and exceeds preconceptions. Very drinkable and refreshing. A much more flowery, herbal hop profile.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Re-reviewing this one after many months since the first couple of them I had. Best-by date on this first bottle from the variety pack is November 29th, 2015. Old scores for reference: Look 4.5, Smell 4.25, Taste 3.5, Feel 4.0, Overall 4.0

Pours light golden, with it taking on a nice shiny darker golden-bordering-on-orangeish color once in the glass. Pretty clear, with a nice bunch of bubbles constantly rising up from the bottom of the glass. My pour generated a pretty good-sized head of foam, not quite reaching the rim of the glass but not far off either. Said foam is very nice-looking, too -- white and fluffy and thick, and it takes a bit for it to even start shrinking and seems to hold up really well, leaving trails along the sides as it goes, and even bigger trails once I start drinking more and more. Even near the end of the glass, the majority of the foam (in the form of a thin layer on top with a slightly thicker ring around the edges) is still intact.

Smell is nice too. You can smell the hops even from a few inches away. However, it doesn't seem to stand out quite as much as it did when I first had it -- I guess this being my first ever IPA, the "blast of hop smell upon opening the bottle" effect was a bit more of a surprise then than it is now. Taking a closer sniff, there's a piney sort of smell right off but it blends into a fruitier smell partway through; sort of shifts from mostly pine at first to "grocery store fruit aisle" or something along those lines. I don't remember picking up this fruitiness the last time I had one of these, so it seems either this is a fresher bottle than what I had that time or my senses have gotten a bit better at picking out different smells in beer (or both.) Can't really detect much in the way of malty smells, maybe the faintest hint of a breadiness hiding somewhere behind all the hops? Yeah, I think there is just a bit of a sort of dusty bread kind of thing right there on the end. The hops are definitely the most prominent thing here, though.

Taste... why the heck did I only give this a 3.5 in this category the first time I had it!? Okay, yeah, I'm thinking I definitely just hadn't developed a taste for super hoppy beers yet at the time. Like the smell, it's primarily piney to start out with. There's a bit of a fruitiness in the flavor too, but not as much as the smell. After the initial pine/slight fruit blast, things shift to become a little more earthy, reminding me somewhat of "forest smells" -- like when you're walking around and stepping through really rich soil and dead leaves and such and you get the slightest bit of a damp, leafy kind of smell as your movement jostles things around a bit on the forest floor. I remember being reminded of walking in a pine forest when I drank this one before, and that description definitely still applies. Detectable bitterness is actually near zero to my current taste buds, which is really surprising considering that when I had this one before it was almost too bitter for me to handle -- I mean, it's definitely a bitter beer rather than a sweet one, no doubt about that, and I am noticing the bitterness more as I get further and further down the glass (those first few sips were "all hop flavor, very little bitterness" but it's shifting as I drink more)... but my tongue isn't being overwhelmed by pure bitterness this time like it was the first time. There's just a bit of a stronger leafy bitter flavor showing up right at the end, almost leaning into a slight spiciness after a while, as I get down to around the 1/3 mark of the glass. I'm noticing that this almost spicy kind of thing begins to show up in the smell right around the end of the glass, too. Aftertaste is almost none at first, slowly building up to a leafy bitter later on and then a slight breadiness similar to what's faintly detectable in the smell once that fades. Burps are fruitier, reminding me of the fruity aspect in the smell.

Mouthfeel is just as nice as I remember it being -- "fizzy, but it works" still applies. There's a lot of bubbles, but they come across as soft and add to the feel of the beer, rather than coming across as prickly and not so pleasant. Just feels really nice going down, especially on the first few sips when the foam on top is thicker. Only the slightest "bite" from the hop bitterness on the end, too, just enough to let you know it's definitely there.

Overall, I'm glad I ended up having a chance to revisit this one thanks to the fall Folly pack -- it's a pretty tasty beer (more so than I remembered it being the first time; as I've said multiple times in this review, I guess I just hadn't quite developed a taste for IPAs yet at the time), and it's both widely available and pretty affordable in most stores that stock it. The mouthfeel is also really nice, actually even better than some of the IPAs that I'd rate higher than this one in the flavor department.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New Belgium's Ranger IPA - pretty good, but also nothing outstanding as well. I was impressed with it's look and smell. It had good lacing, a great dark golden color, and a rich citrusy smell, but outside of that, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. There was plenty of after-taste for a normal IPA beer. Again, it was better than average, for me, but nothing I would go out of my way to partake of.

This is a solid IPA and a great example of the style. The smell is all hops, and it's predominantly pine. The taste is mouthwatering; loads of pine, citrus, grass, and some juicy fruits coat the tounge. It ends with just the right amount of bitterness. I really like the feel of this beer. It starts off with an in the face hop bomb but the malt balances it out just enough to leave the mouth watering and wanting more. Great IPA

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I don't know why, but I am in love with this beer. I will probably catch hell for this, but I could say that this beer is as good as O'Dell's IPA. Though the rankings don't show it. I would recommend people give this beer another shot.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (marked "enjoy by 08FEB15").

Appearance: Clear golden amber. Frothy, lasting white head with some lacing.

Smell: Layers of hops: resin, lemon rind, and some vegetal notes.

Taste: Slightly toasty, caramel malt under piney, herbal, citrus hops. Good bitterness throughout.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, slight oiliness and medium carbonation.

Overall: A solid IPA with balanced malt and plenty of hop character.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Pretty durn good. Not quite strong as I like my IPA's but still immensely hoppy. If you're craving some intense hops content but you're not looking to get super drunk I recommend this beer strongly. It has a very strong hops flavor, but it is still very smooth. I recommend this to anyone who has the chance to sample it and will continue to keep it in my personal roster.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Transparent orange with fluffy white head. Aroma of citrus and rind, grass, grapefruit, and pine. Flavors of citrus, pine, mint, grapefruit, lemon skins, and bitterness comes smoothly followed by some booze. Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a stange glass. It looks light orange, pours a decent head that dissipates quickly, and is very clear with no floaties.

It smells like dank hops with orange and grapefruit coming through clearly. I don't get a huge smell, but it is a lot like Lagunitas IPA in my honest estimation.

Tastes like it smells. It is very crisp and smooth. I don't get any alcohol on this one. The mouthfeel is very clean as well, and the taste lingers for just a moment before going away completely.

This is my go-to IPA. The price is quite reasonable, and being sold in 12-packs of 12 oz. cans is the best format around for beer. At 6.5% you get a ton a flavor without too much alcohol although after a few you will definitely be buzzed. Price is right, very good (actually somewhat underrated), very easy to get, and great for when your hosting a party or guests are coming over.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Right now I'm drinking a can but I've also had it on tap and in the bottle.
Opening the can releases a resiny hop nose with some pine and floral accents
pours brilliant amber gold under 2” dense off-white foam head – lacy and slowly dissipating.
Big malt blended with fruit such as melon and citrus attacks the palate and leads to a hop accented finish.
The beer offers up a rick range of hop flavors.
Medium body and carbonation. Two cans fit in my cargo short pockets - sweet.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

The beer pours a brilliantly clear orange with an ecru colored head. Scent consists of spices hops with some pine. Maybe a hint of fresh baked bread. Taste is centered around the hops, but they aren't particularly distinctive. Mildly bitter for the style. Alai piney in the taste. Finishes fairly dry with a touch of caramel and slight hop astringency. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation.

A good beer, but not very complex or compelling.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing