Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

RangerRanger

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,200 | Hads: 5,306
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

thanks to my brother for this bottle, enjoyed chilled from the 12oz in an IPA glass.

The color is golden with hazy clarity and thick white head with fine bead and waves of lace with very good retention. The smell has a semi-fruity aroma with gentle tropical hop smell with slight citrus quality. The feel has a subtle malt toastiness with medium carbonation with moderately high bitterness and subtle alcohol influence with mostly dry finish.

The taste is very good with dank hop flavor and citrus quality which evokes a bitter rind aspect with slight tropical grapefruity and mild pine taste with low malt sweetness and very low alcohol flavor with slight astringency in taste with a grassy quality as it warms with a malt flavor that has a subtle toasted quality. Very good IPA I prefer this to many available on the market -I recommend this if you haven't tried it yet...I don't know why I waited to try it, perhaps I had expectations as far as New Belgium and hoppy beers. (978 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A sweet, decently hoppy, mass produced budget IPA that is so consistant sometimes I worry about what they put in it. The flavor is crisp, very sweet, floral orange grapefruit combo that has ok bitterness. Its biggest strength is its consistancy. I can't remember a time when it didn't taste like itself on tap or in bottle (unlike Averys sadly). Its biggest weakness is in the mouthfeel I think. It just feels thin too often but thats not to say thats a terrible thing, but the flavor ends up feeling a bit generic or mass produced at times because of it and its really better than that. Its usually priced VERY well too so that is a bonus. (641 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I can’t say enough how much I love New Belgium. Although my favorite of this brewery has to go to Rampant, I must say that Ranger is the little brother of the Imperial counterpart. I find every aspect of this beer to be smooth, suave, drinkable and pleasant. Without saying more on this topic, I’ll dive right into the review of each part of the beer.

Appearance: The appearance is a light golden color that reflects the warm sunlight that grew the hops that went into this great beer. The head comes in full and thick with a vigorous pour, but soon settles down to a snow-kissed cap that paints a beautiful fine array of lacing on your glass. But be sure to pour this one instead of drinking from the bottle. The manufacturer can only do so much to ensure that you enjoy every aspect of this beer so you will miss out on some characteristics if you don’t pour it into a worthy glass.

Smell: I get an array of aromas when I take a deep smell of this great beer. I get a malty-cracker and toasty smell that very quickly subsides into a floral and herbal tone with noticeable bubblegum, tropical fruits like mango, and then some citrusy apricot. The smell is excellent and it is one that you really should try before taking a sip.

Taste: The taste is excellent. I get the medium-bodied maltiness which is perfect because then it gives way to the carbonation that explodes on your tongue and is accompanied by a pleasant cut of alcohol which is a respectable 6.5% ABV and 70 IBUs. The hops are delicate but present and the alcohol content is fine-tuned, but noticeable. If you were to change anything about this beer than it would fall apart, I think. This beer is so drinkable and I find it to be one of my favorite ‘go-to’ beers that are available. What is surprising is that after two of these, the alcohol really sneaks up on you so be vigilant while you toss back a few of these classic IPAs by New Belgium.

Feel: The feel is smooth and silky and begs you to take another gulp. The carbonation is pleasantly delayed and gives way to a nice zingy zest that comes from the carbonation playing with the citrus tones. The very last thing that I feel is a resin-like coating on the tongue that lingers every so pleasantly even after the carbonation and flavors have dissipated.

Overall: Overall this beer is great. I think that it has a complex flavor and a well-timed release of each component of its flavor and mouthfeel. Once again, the aroma and taste are excellent and the complexity of this beer compensates for the slightly low end ABV. I would pour through a few of these easily and I am confident that you will too. (2,639 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I poured this beer into a claret glass from a nice fresh bottle. I have had this beer often and I felt it was time to review it.

Look: Beautiful light gold, the light shines through with an almost heavenly glow like the sunlight that grew the hops themselves. The head depends on how vigorously you pour it but it will linger and lace with the best of them. It is white and made of semi-fine bubbles that faded to a thin cap.

Smell: The hop dominated aroma is luscious and juicy apricot, peach, tropical fruit, and bubblegum. The malt aroma is exhibited with flourishes of honeysuckle, honeycomb, and toasted cracker-like hues.

Taste: The taste follows the smell of apricots, peaches, and pine but with a definite and bold floral burst. There is a lot of spicy, peppery hops here. The malt character is sweet and delicate, almost over shone by the bitterness but in a well-done and expressive way.

Feel: Smooth yet with abundant carbonation that expanded on my tongue. The supple head embraces my lips with each sip. I found the amount of hop oil was apparent with a slightly coating feel in the mouth.

Overall: I call this beer the "Champagne of IPAs" because I love its carbonation and other characteristics, and the availability is astonishing. You should be able to find this beer anywhere and I factor that into a review because it shows the brewery that sends it to such rural areas of the country really care about who gets to try their beer. It stands proud against a desolate backdrop of silver boxes full of disgusting light domestic swill. Try not to drink six of these at a time. Cheers. (1,610 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Currently my favorite IPA for just kicking back and having a beer solo. Great day to day beer. Just the right amount of ABV and hops to get you in a relaxed state of mind. The piney yet grapefruit citrus tones are excellent in this beer as well. (248 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. pint on draft at Nanny O'Brien's Irish Pub in Cleveland Park, NW D.C.; unknown brewing/packaging date; poured into a standard pint glass; drank over 30 minutes on Tues., 01/13/2015 (187 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

It is 6.5 abv & you can taste all 6.5 of it. Strong alcohol taste which I do not like about this beer. Has a very pineappley smell which you think you would taste but you cannot taste the pineapple only smells like pineapples. piney on the front & bitter on the back. I use to like this beer until I put it up against Jai Alai & sweet water IPA. If I'm gonna spend this much money on a domestic ipa then I would much rather spend my $ on sweet water or Jai alai. For the price this beer is not to good. (502 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

January 14, 2015

22 oz bomber, mason jar

A – Light to medim amber. Slightly off-white foamy head. Pretty long retention and very high clarity.

S – Orange marmalade, slightly bready. Mostly light, fruity hop aroma. Something else there, possibly guava or passion fruit, very low in the mix.

T – Light marmalade and fresh pear, lightly bready but the hops are prominent. Only mild to moderate bitterness. Slightly dank.

M – Slightly resiny, sweet but leaning toward bitter. Moderate body and carbonation. Dry, bitter finish.

O – Interesting mix of flavor but not entirely pleasant. Something just a bit off. (629 characters)

12 0z brown bottle poured into a shaker pint. The beer is a chill hazed copper with a dense off-white head.

Nice aroma! The “C” hops are proudly 0n display. Citrus and pine all backed by some caramel malts.

The taste closely tracks the smell. Nicely bitter. A bit of pine resin working with some grapefruit. The malts add a grainy almost whole wheat cracker base.

The mouth is nicely oily and more than a touch coating.

No surprise that NB offers up a rock steady IPA. (488 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

From a bottle to a pint glass. Great amber color with a half inch of white head dissolving to lace. Great nose with fresh grassy hops and citrus. Taste is more citrus with secondary pine notes with what I think of as an uncharacteristic clean finish for an IPA. Not that I mind the clean finish. I like some separation between sips rather than the usually lingering bitterness. An above average IPA in my opinion, but I'm no hop head. (434 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with a very thin white head, no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Pleasant mild hops, citrus notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of hops/pine notes with sweeter citrus notes.

Overall: Very good IPA! (270 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Another from the mixed sixpack composed at Orlando Whole Foods on a Florida trip

a: Clear dark gold, finger thick white head receded to thick surface foam and dense lacing

s: Mild resin

t: Hefty biscuit malt with moderate pine hop bite. Dry finish

m: Medium, good carbonation tingle.

o: A substantial IPA, obvious quality. The hops give it a bit more punch than their fine Fat Tire Amber. (395 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Looks how it's supposed to, amber color with a smallish head. Surprisingly sweet nose, malt, candy, and also a bunch of fruit. Maybe some cookies. Flavor is similarly sweet; lots of fruitiness. Hop bitterness is there, although fairly subtle. Well balanced. Overall a nice, very drinkable IPA. (293 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden in color, pours about a half finger white head that fades quickly with lacing.
Smell: Grapefruit, Pine, Citrus in that order
Taste: Sadly mostly pine and citrus followed by a faint hint of grapefruit that quickly fades to a malt backbone, wanted more staying power here. Light bitterness remaining.
Mouthfeel: Thin, mild carbonation
Overall: Not offensive, but nothing great as far as IPA's go, with the grapefruit being so strong in the smell I was hoping for it in the flavor. (498 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -16.1%

This isn't the beer made by this brewery to reach for first. This is just an average IPA with a good nose. It doesn't disappoint, but nothing special. (152 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A clear golden amber brew that releases a good sized head that has good retention and slow fade that leaves quite a bit of decoration on the glass. Smell is a comfortable blend of caramel malt and piney hops. Taste is solid but unremarkable. Light caramel,piney hops, a leafiness with a hint of mint. Medium light weight and gentle carbonation. Quite quaffable. Not a standout but a good brew. (393 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

When poured into a glass, the color of the beer pouring into the glass in pretty nice, a light, golden brown. When in the glass, it is the same nice light golden brown, with a 2 finger white foamy head that sticks around for a minute or two before it settles down to a light layer of bubbles on top. Decent lacing down the glass as you drink.

The smell is nothing spectacular. Certainly;y doesn't smell bad, but seems to smell just like a typical IPA to me. Nothing spectacular, and nothing bad at all.

The taste is actually very good. IPAs are not my style of choice usually, but I do enjoy a good one every now and then. At first it is nice and smooth, with a strong and full taste in the mouth. As you swallow the full taste begins to come through and you start to get the hops on the tongue and the back of the mouth. Generally, a good tasting IPA.

The mouthfeel i s also really good. Smooth, not too carbonated, easy to drink.

Good beer, recomneded (969 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful. An easy-to-find great IPA that has what you'd expect and exceeds preconceptions. Very drinkable and refreshing. A much more flowery, herbal hop profile. (163 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%

My last bottle of this one from the Folly pack. Poured into a standard pint glass right out of the fridge as my leftover pizza was reheating in the microwave.

Like all of New Belgium's beers I've had so far, this is a nice-looking beer. Dark golden color, mostly clear with those little upward-streaming bubbles. A good bit of head, too, even though I took care not to pour too fast. White and bubbly, hangs around a bit before shrinking into a thin layer on top. Like the Abbey dubbel from the same brewery, the head leaves a good bit of a bubbly trail behind as you drink.

Smells, well, completely different than I ever thought a beer could smell before I tried my first one! Absolutely no "standard beer smell" here--it's like pine needles and some sort of fruit I can't quite identify. Maybe not quite like pine, more like some other similar tree... but definitely a coniferous needle tree smell.

Taste is similar, but way more pine than fruit (though the fruit is what I taste more of when I burp.) Seems to wipe all other flavors from my tongue as it goes, even spicy peppers and pizza. Interestingly, I'm actually tasting juuuust a bit of a bready malt flavor sometimes now, though the piney hops are definitely the dominant flavor here. I'm not sure if that's the influence of food bringing it out more, or if my taste buds aren't quite as overwhelmed by the hops as when I first tried this... but either way, I'm enjoying this one more than my first (and the first wasn't bad, just strong.) It's definitely more noticeably bitter than any other beer I've had (including the Rampant imperial IPA, interestingly!), getting almost a little overwhelmingly so as I get toward the bottom of the glass, but I imagine at 70 IBUs it'd be strange if it wasn't at least a bit on the bitter side. I just wish the fruitiness I smelled here was more apparent in the taste, rather than the piney flavor overpowering it.

Feels pretty nice, especially on the first few sips. It's fizzy but doesn't feel harsh because of it--almost the opposite, the fizziness actually seems to add something.

Overall... I have a hard time rating this because it's just so different from other beers I've had that it's hard to make a comparison, but it's been a pretty enjoyable experience both times I've had it and works pretty well with food. This beer has taught me that IPAs aren't something to fear, even as a fairly new beer drinker who'd never had anything with more than 23 IBUs previously. (though trying one or two bottles/glasses first rather than going for a full six-pack would probably be wise if ypu've never had an IPA before.) I do think I'll probably make my next "hoppy" beer something a bit milder like a pale ale or a pilsner rather than another IPA, though--I'm just not quite used to such strong hop flavors and bitterness yet. (2,830 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New Belgium's Ranger IPA - pretty good, but also nothing outstanding as well. I was impressed with it's look and smell. It had good lacing, a great dark golden color, and a rich citrusy smell, but outside of that, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. There was plenty of after-taste for a normal IPA beer. Again, it was better than average, for me, but nothing I would go out of my way to partake of. (407 characters)

This is a solid IPA and a great example of the style. The smell is all hops, and it's predominantly pine. The taste is mouthwatering; loads of pine, citrus, grass, and some juicy fruits coat the tounge. It ends with just the right amount of bitterness. I really like the feel of this beer. It starts off with an in the face hop bomb but the malt balances it out just enough to leave the mouth watering and wanting more. Great IPA (429 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I don't know why, but I am in love with this beer. I will probably catch hell for this, but I could say that this beer is as good as O'Dell's IPA. Though the rankings don't show it. I would recommend people give this beer another shot. (237 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (marked "enjoy by 08FEB15").

Appearance: Clear golden amber. Frothy, lasting white head with some lacing.

Smell: Layers of hops: resin, lemon rind, and some vegetal notes.

Taste: Slightly toasty, caramel malt under piney, herbal, citrus hops. Good bitterness throughout.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, slight oiliness and medium carbonation.

Overall: A solid IPA with balanced malt and plenty of hop character. (464 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Pretty durn good. Not quite strong as I like my IPA's but still immensely hoppy. If you're craving some intense hops content but you're not looking to get super drunk I recommend this beer strongly. It has a very strong hops flavor, but it is still very smooth. I recommend this to anyone who has the chance to sample it and will continue to keep it in my personal roster. (372 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Transparent orange with fluffy white head. Aroma of citrus and rind, grass, grapefruit, and pine. Flavors of citrus, pine, mint, grapefruit, lemon skins, and bitterness comes smoothly followed by some booze. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. (246 characters)

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing