Ranger - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ranger Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,232 | Hads: 5,509
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Pours with two fingers of fluffy white foam on top of a dark golden body with excellent clarity. The head settles slowly and leaves good lace.

S - A fruity hop aroma of mango and orange/grapefruit. Some toasty malt in the background with a little bit of honey malt character.

T - Spicy hops up front with a little bit of grapefruit. Bready malt in the middle with light toast and some pine hop character. Finishes with lemon and pithy grapefruit flavor and smooth, but strong hop bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - A nice, balanced IPA with great hop character, especially in the aroma. There is a nice balance in the finish with a subtle dryness that helps to emphasize the hop character.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

Copper/red, yellow in color. Notes of hops in the aroma, with hints of herbs and fruit on the end. Initially mild on the palate, but then turns real herbal, and really dries out the tongue. Some metallic notes were picked up the finish. Overall, very dry and not well balanced.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a woody tan with a thin beige head. Nose has sweet candy malts and light grassy hops. Taste is quite malty with again a mellow hop presence. Lots of toffee and camael. Body finishes a bit light. I'd call it more of an English IPA than American.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

poured into long tulip for pleasure of appearance this sunny afternoon.

pours at firs a nice big fluffy and mountainous head of eggshell head. fades to light coverage with good stubborn lacing. Light honey color

smells of citrus with slight floweryness.

tastes like baked biscuit carmalized orange. a light sweetness.

mouthfeel, very light bitterness hits the back of the throat, carbonation is too light

very drinkable, a session IPA. enjoyable and doesnt challange doesnt offend

2.56/5  rDev -33.2%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours an ultra-clear light amber. This looks like a lager; like a bock or something. The head sits at two solid fingers of white fluff. This doesn't look like many IPAs but it is pretty. The lacing does its thing admirably as well.

The beer smells soapy and spicy with a faint sense of grapefruit. The hops, that is, smell that way. Some pine, too. I'm expecting the malts to shine and become assertive and, though it takes a while, it happens. It smells pretty sweet. Meh.

Sweet, sugary malt is what this supposedly American-style IPA tastes like. The hops? Ummmm, let me try and find them again. *dives down* *minutes pass* *surfaces* Welp, I found a couple but that's it. There is some light grapefruit but it leaves the palate quicker than the average length of term for a CTU Director on "24." There is no hop bitterness. There is no finish. No aftertaste. This is disappointing and I came in with low expectations.

This is pretty thick for an IPA. I've had double IPAs that are thinner. And if you've read my reviews then you know that I personally prefer a light mouthfeel for hoppy beers. I have mixed feelings about the drinkability. One one hand the beer is light and super-easy to drink. On the other hand it is as boring as the first 15 episodes of season 8 of "24."

This beer might score more favorably as an Amber Ale. As an IPA? Nope.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a thick inch and a half head and hold for two minutes at least.

A decent IPA. Funny that I really don't like Fat Tire or anything else by them. A good mid-level IPA.

Some decnt hop tones, not biscuity like their other stuff, but the balance is decent. Medium mouth feel-easy drinker overall.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

Light copper. Tiny head. Faint grassy smell. Taste is very smooth and original for an ipa. We all know by now that I love a good punch in the mouth with hops, but this beer has it's place. Plus I'll get that punch later with the Elder. The closest comparison I can give this brew to is Lagunitas Ipa. Has a much differnt mouthfeel to it though. Overall it's worth a try, and I'll come back for more when ever I need to break up the monotony. Well done Mr. Red Bicycle!

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%

Carried 2 bombers home to RI from Las Vegas on Thursday. Bought at Lee's Discount Liquors on Flamingo (great beer store, btw, nice selection and knowledgeable staff) for only 2.99 each. So my expectations were for an average brew.
Well, not so fast bucko.
A very clear, amber color and shockingly white full thick head were just the beginning, the lacing was extreme and painted the glass all the way down.
Very tasty IPA, not an extreme hoppiness but very nicely balanced with some bitterness and citrus.
I could drink this beer all summer, if only, if only it was available here in New England.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Clean fresh hop aroma. Some sweet, citrus, sweet-citrus, mild pine. Slight hop backing. Very nice.
Brilliantly clear golden body with firm and dense somewhat small cap. Ample lacing.
Nicely balanced malt flavors with the hop flavors and mild to moderate and growing bitterness which is never to excess, and leaves a very extended finish.
Lighter body than many. The slight prickliness of the carbonation adds texture and interest to the drink, yet in fullness they add a softness. Well done.
Drinks easily and smoothly. I'm satisfied with one, but having another would not be a problem.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Picked this up from Arista foods today. I was drinking High Life this weekend and I got to the point where I needed something with taste and aromatics. Arista didn't have anything on sale really so I chose this. Heres we goes.

Appearance- Dark golden orange with a 2 finger head that reseades into a cap on top. Spotty lacing along my tulip glass.

Smell- This is where the beer sort of let me down. You can pick up the hops but they are not as intense as I would have thought. The hop aroma is pretty citrusy and earthy. There is a nice bready note back there as well. It smells good don't get me wrong just a little weak to the nose for my preference.

Taste- Nice pale malt back bone with a decent enough hop punch. The hops come out as very grapefruit like with a earthen finish. The taste is sort of weaker than some other IPAs that I drink but for what it is it taste good. Not overpowering in anyway so I could see this as a good training wheel beer to bring someone into craft. It is refreshing and tasty for sure I could see myself drinking it again. The alcohol comes out in the taste as you hit the bottom of the glass.

Mouthfeel- Very slick on the pallete which is spot on for the style. Not alot of carbonation which is fine by me. I am having a hard time distinguishing what the "proper" carbonation level is for an IPA because I have tried several and the carbonation levels were all across the board. Nice clean dry finish.

Drinkability- I will probably find myself in pretty rare form pretty shortly. These go down very smooth and don't seem to fill you up that fast. Very good on a hot day.

Bottom Line- I would say try it don't shy away from it. There are better options out there but if you come across this and there isn't anything better go for it. For an IPA it is very unintrusive and quite easy on the pallete. A good starter beer to pull someone into the world of craft.

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz bottle.

Pours clear gold with a half inch head of white. Retention is average with a partial skim coat on the surface within two minutes.

Aromatics are grassy and citric, with hints of toasted malt. Grapefruit zest and pine bark.

Medium bodied with a crisp mouthfeel. Somewhat drying.

A firm, drying bitterness takes hold of the pallate quickly with lively shades of pine-rubbed citrus, wet grass, and forest floor.
A light malt backbone keeps the beer balanced.

Finishes with a lingering, drying bitterness, woody hop resins, and a mild warmth.

A decent IPA, but nothing to write home about. Definatley lacking in the nose for what a great IPA should be. Neither pungent nor largely floral. I'd certainly like to try an unfiltered version or a dry-hopped cask though.

4.87/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours a foamy light bright white head. The aroma is fantastic -- just flowing off the head. The taste is a mouthful of hops but no bitterness at all. It's a wonderful balance of goodness. Highly highly recommended. NB has mastered the IPA! Can't believe it only gets a B+.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Served in a small pint style glass, this IPA is a clear golden orange with a big tan head that fades quickly. Smell is not quite as pungent as some IPA's but I detect a nice herbal hop note. Taste is sweet malt up front, then a massive apricot flavor, herbal and earthy hops in the middle, reminding me of black pepper, and a balanced sweet/bitter finish. A hint of citrus, but the hop flavor is mostly herbal and earthy. Mouthfeel is smooth, slightly high carbonation. Good drinkability. Not a hop bomb like many American IPA's, this beer is more balanced, but a good example of the style that I would get again.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Picked up two singles of this in a recent mixed six-pack raid on a local store. Had one during a beer-sharing with friends & it seemed pretty good amidst all the madness, but wanted a few minutes to sit down & have one in peace & quiet. Consumed while watching the first Twins-Sox game of 2010.

Pours a clear orange-amber. Light citrus mixed & crushed with a variety of herbs & a splash of orange zest.

Ranger IPA is heavy on the sweets for an IPA. Sweet malts set the pace, with a pine bath coming in a distant second. Another zing of orange in there. Heavy & viscous, especially for an IPA.

Well, I'm not having the best of beer evenings, yet. This is far too 'balanced' for me, I'd love to have a livelier hop presence in this brew. As is, the malts are more of the focus. Decent enough brew, but not my thing.

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. Enjoy by 06/11/10 on bottle neck. Purchased at Peabody's Wine and Beer Merchants (Boone, NC) for $3.49.

A: Hazy peach-gold with substantial 2-3 finger, off-white foamy head with craggy lacing all over the glass.

S: Mild citrus, grapefruit and orange mainly, meet resinous, earthy aromas which dominate. Pale malts are a token player.

T: Flavor is earthy and laid back initially with a background bitterness which is sneaky big and a very dry finish. Pale maltiness is more involved but still far behind the resinous, earthy hoppiness which has some pine and citrus accents.

M: Medium-bodied with a dry finish. Carbonation is low to give a classic oily, slick IPA feel.

D: A good, solid IPA with a very nice price tag. Well-constructed, but I wish the hopbill wasn't such a snoozer.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

We had a rare beer night and we all brought some stuff over I'll be reviewing on memory for this one as we had alot of smaples that night. Nearly 10 I beleive.

Nice beer. Herad rumors that this tasted liek fat tire with extra hops. not true. it was a basic IPA and probably a great IPA for someone starting but I liked the interesting flavors. some sublte malt sweetness that balanced well with the sublt bitterness of the hops. A nice chnage of pace for the hop deaths I usually drink.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a clear golden color with a medium sized white rocky/creamy head that has good retention and wonderful lacing. Very attractive beer.

S-First comes the hops. It's delicate yet pungent with a perfect balance of floral, piney, and citrus hops. A little (very little) sweet fruity esthers too.

T-The flavor mirrors the aroma very well with a balance of floral, piney, and citrus hop flavor. But there is also a sweet biscuity toasty maltiness added to the experience with an extremely clean yet hardy resiny bitterness that lingers forever. In the flavor as oppose to the aroma, the sweet maltiness is very present, yet balance with plenty of hop flavor, but in the aroma you can't really smell the malt because the hops dominate the aroma, which I like.

M-It has a full creamy body with medium carbonation with a slightly dry finish.

D-This beer is extremely drinkable but because it's 6.5% alcohol I would not want to have more than three of these in one evening. I highly recommend this to any true hop lover.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Excellent brew!! The appearance was what to expect from the style. The smell was very inviting with a strong hint of hops and some citrusy notes. The taste was good just not as good as some of the other IPA's I have tried. The mouthfeel was nice with a sort of dry finish but it has a really nice drinkability and before you know it have a finished a six pack!!

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a stemmed Summit Brewing glass.

A-Crystal-clear amber beer, looks beautiful, really. Bright, off-white head was a luxurious 2-fingers out of the bottle and sustained a bit, remaining as sparse bubbles. Nice lacing.

S-Herbal-piney-citrus hops, representing in equal and strong parts. Slightly fruity.

T-Hop flavor is slightly dialed back from the aroma, consisting of herbal-piney tones, alongside a firm hop bitterness. Malt is dryish, nutty and toasty, something that reminded me of Thanksgiving. As the hop flavor fades, the nuttiness lingers into the finish with the leftover hop bitterness.

M-Moderate body feels relatively light on my tongue and moves around freely. Carbonation level seems in line with the appropriate range.

D-This beer is borderline delicious. I've enjoyed this one ina couple different venues and have continued to enjoy it each time. Although I'm confused/saddenned to see New Belgium kind of depart from their Belgian roots in this one, I've certainly gotten over that qualm quickly with how tasty this brew is.

Appearance: copper color, nice lacing from a decent sized head with tiny bubbles.

Smell: a hop punch in the nose.

Taste: Pine, orange, and a lot of GRAPEFRUIT. Not much malt presence. High on the IBUs.

Mouthfeel: nice tingle with the hops, full on the palate.

Drinkability: A nice example of an American IPA. Super-heavy on the hops, a good beer for hop heads. I would get again, and I will definitely have the opportunity. According to my beer rep, NB is pushing this hard, giving it preference over Fat Tire. It should be here for a while.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

A nice orange amber color, white head is thin but strong.

A great pulpy citrus aroma. Some spice and some malty sweetness in the background. Taste is big on citrus, with a nice sweet malt balance. Turns bitter in the middle and the finish rides this wonderful bitterness to the end, with a touch of alcohol riding shotgun.

Nice big body on this American IPA, a big substantial feel but not a filling beer. Well done by New Belgium.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Light amber, and absolutely crystal clear, with a good amount of foamy, bubbly, white head on top.

S: Grassy and citrus right up front. Mild maltiness, and a little bit of biscuit in the finish.

T: Very hop forward. Grassy and bitter. Good, but a bit one note for me. Not as balanced as I would like, but as I continue to sip the hops diminish a little and let the malt shine through a bit more.

M: Clean and crisp though the in the ending it leaves a bit of a coating.

D: Tasty, but not something I am going to buy a lot of. Good, not amazing.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

The store by my house sells bombers of this for $2.99, so i decided to pick one up.

Poured into a SA perfect pint. Nice dark burnt orange color with a nice rocky head and sticky lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell is sweet and hoppy with a slight pine note in there somewhere. i wish the smell were a little stronger but its nice.

Taste is mostly pine hops with a dry, bitter aftertaste. Low alcohol makes for high drinkability. I could slam a few of these.

Overall a really good beer for the dollar. I probably wouldn't pay much more for it but at that price i will be buying more. Good to have on hand to give to friends so they wont get into the expensive stuff.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a typical good looking brown/amber IPA color. Thick off-white head and lacing. Smell is very fruity and herbal. Wet grass. Sweet and musty. This is an IPA with a very strong fruity citrusy character. If that is your thing you will love this. Personally the tangerine/orange/grapefruit sweet and sourness gets to be a little much and makes it hard for me to enjoy more than one or two. I prefer a more straight forward clean bitter flavor with more of a malt backbone in an IPA. That being said, it is plenty bitter in the finish. I get that nice little back of the throat burn that I was looking for. Very well made example of my favorite style, just not the best one in my opinion.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

What a great beer! this beer holds a beautiful tight head that sits perfectly on top of a clean copper body. The beer throws spring and fresh pine growth in my face. Very refreshing and crisp! The way this beer lingers and whispers "drink more" on my palate tells me this is a great session beer you should enjoy with people you care about.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing