Lips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale AleLips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale Ale

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: CosmoHopHead on 07-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Jupitersample

06-12-2012 01:31:15 | More by Jupitersample
jriggins6

1.25/5  rDev -67.1%

03-11-2012 18:52:59 | More by jriggins6
chicagobill13

1.85/5  rDev -51.3%

Golden looking with a sight strong golden belgium look to it. A seem what head to this beer. Not a very strong hop smell to it.

This beer has a very good carbation and bitter nice. The one thing I don't like about this beer is the after taste. It leaves me thrist afterwards with a cottom mouth feel going on. It is almost like i need to drink water with this. Once again, just like all their beers they taste the same. It is almost like they use the same yeast type in all their beers. That's not a bad thing until all your beers taste the same. I can see this beer like their Ranger being a great beginner IPA beer for new drinkers. For me, hop head I am very let down and disappointed. This is the last time I will pick up a New Belgium beer. Enjoy and Cheers!

09-03-2011 17:20:16 | More by chicagobill13
JamisonM

Arizona

2.35/5  rDev -38.2%

A: dark gold and clear white head bubbles coming up from bottom of the glass

S: spicy yeast and a bit of hops

T: yeasty taste with alcohol hops and yeast and alcohol are fighting they do not mesh well at all. for 8% its not hidden where are the hops for 70 IBU this beer is very mild hop flavor

M: light mouth

D: not drinkable at all

Overall: so many other BIPA's are better then this one and this beer just came out its fresh there is no excuse for this being this bad

08-13-2010 21:46:35 | More by JamisonM
crossovert

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

12 oz bottle.

It pours a clear honey color with a big white head that leaves a lot of lacing.

The smell is yeasty and sweet. It has some spices and bubblegum. Hops are barely there with minuscule citrus.

The flavor is again yeast dominated, very bubblegummy and spicy. The hops lend almost nothing.

Really a failure. The body is watery too, this is worse than my homebrew.

09-08-2011 04:28:56 | More by crossovert
Reaper16

Alabama

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

served on-tap @ Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a New Belgium globe glass

Pours a golden straw color, like it was a pale yellow beer before honey was added. It looks sort of like a cough drop. Nice, sudsy white foam gets to about 1.5 fingers, leaving more than adequate lacing. Good looking beer. Though, of course, appearance has never been where New Belgium's beers have been at fault.

I suppose there are two ways to look at the Belgian IPA style that is taking off like wildfire: either the beer is an IPA that's been fermented with Belgian yeast, or the beer is essentially a Tripel or a strong Blonde/Belgian Strong Pale Ale that is aggressively hoppy (relatively speaking). My preference is with the IPA-focused way to approach the style (ala Stone's Cali-Belgique). I have been accused of being a hater with respect to my B- review of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, so take this review in with the knowledge that this reviewer thinks Belgian IPAs should be IPAs first.

The aroma of Belgo IPA, clearly, puts it onto the side of the style that I don't prefer. This is a Tripel in aroma, clearly. The candi sugar is there, and the ester profile screams Tripel. It doesn't smell too dissimilar to New Belgium's six-pack year-round Trippel (the one with the redundant extra p). The hops are here though, definitely. The mix of hop varietals is ineffective. The stonefruit American hop scents are quickly masked by some dirty, earthy aromas coming from the Willamette hops. All in all, Belgo IPA smells like an out-of-sorts, off-balance Tripel. Harmonious, this aroma profile ain't.

The hops, for all their bluster in the nose, aren't very assertive on the palate. FernMaster, who was among the many at our table who ordered this beer, exclaimed "This is supposed to be an IPA?" Pretty much the defining sentence of this beer's flavor. The hops aren't much of anything here; they wash each other out. A twinge of apricot is left on the finish, but that might be more of an ester flavor from the yeast than anything the alpha acids contributed to this beer. While this smelled heavily like a Tripel, it tastes more like a blonde ale. Honestly? This reminds me a lot of New Belgium's Hoptober, only with spicier, more estery yeast flavors. This beer doesn't know what it wants to be.

The beer isn't as dry or crisp as I would like from something in the IPA family. Maybe I'm picking nits and this point, but I can't seem to bump up the mouthfeel past "average." I don't see why I should consider this more drinkable than the average Belgian IPA, but for all it's out-of-sorts-ness, it isn't really any LESS drinkable than much of what is out there.

Another miss by New Belgium & another poor attempt by a brewery to marry the flavors of Belgian pales with American IPAs.

12-30-2010 18:53:49 | More by Reaper16
jophish17

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

12-23-2011 23:59:28 | More by jophish17
Beaver13

2.58/5  rDev -32.1%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a smallish white head that goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet vegetal malts, pepper, earthiness, soapy gum, floral spices and a little mint.

The flavor is sweet slightly vegetal malts, with a weird floral spicy slightly metallic bitterness, that is decent sized and lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with low carbonation, slightly watery.

Overall, very strange flavors that don't mix well together. I just didn't care for it. I haven't really liked the Belgian IPAs though, I like mine fruity.

07-31-2010 05:00:48 | More by Beaver13

11-23-2011 04:49:33 | More by PostVinyl
lwillitz

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

My bottle says 7% abv.

A - semi-cloudy light golden/amber color under 3 fingers of fluffy nearly-white head; moderate carbonation bubbles; nice lace

S - strong estery, yeasty smell; banana and bubblegum; floral hops; touch of spice; for whatever reason, it smells a bit like eggs to me

T - bitter hoppy flavor with an estery/yeasty character dominates the palate; noticeable presence of alcohol; The yeasty taste reminds me of the time I visited my parents for Christmas and I made homemade eggnog in Mom's aluminum saucepan. The aluminum contributed an odd metallic flavor to the nog. Belgo tastes like that combination of eggs and metal. This is how I would expect a beer flip to taste, if such a thing existed (I've never encountered one). It's not particularly good in my opinion.

M - oily and dry; medium body with moderate carbonation

O - This is my first encounter with a Belgian IPA. It may just be this brew or it may be the style, but I am not particularly impressed. I have had 2 bottles of this now; the second was more enjoyable than the first, probably because I knew what to expect. Still, I am not a big fan of the unique flavor--I'll have to try a few more and see whether or not it grows on me. For now I definitely prefer Ranger.

09-27-2011 01:53:33 | More by lwillitz
nanobrew

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

A: A pale straw color with a healthy frothy head

S:I got a lot of grassy/ earthy hop notes. There is also some lemon and a little bit of spices from the yeast

T: first taste i get is bubble gum. The grassy notes are apparent, along with the spices (nutmeg?). The alcohol is also present in the taste. The sweetness of the yeast and the earthy hops do not seem to work to great together

M: Slightly spice tingle on the tongue. Finishes fairly dry

Overall, I am not a fan. I like ranger IPA as a good go to IPA, but I will not seek this beer, though i am fairly picky when it comes to Belgian IPAs

07-26-2011 21:10:27 | More by nanobrew
Chris585

Indiana

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from bottle to Great Dane Brewery Pint Glass.

First pour from this beer was good and light golden in color with nice tall head and retention. Smell was definitely Belgian yeast. Hop smell was good and sweet to piney and earthy...not much sweetness, but it seemed like it was there somewhere.

First taste of this was creamy, foamy piney and sour. I was expected a little more from this. the mouthfeel was good, but the aftertaste from this beer just didnt do it for me. I have had a few belgian ipa's but his was just a little too sour and not enough balance for me...for the style I ithink it is just a bit unbalanced,...little too watery, not enough hop presence and a bit on the sour side for a belgian. I think this needs a little something extra to give it that next jump in taste...not sure I get it yet. I bought a six pack so I will get through them, but not one I will buy again. Taste was good, just not fantastic for what I have had in this style. Average.

09-17-2011 22:05:32 | More by Chris585
flagmantho

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: clear orange hue with a finger of compact ivory foam. Basic, but pretty nice.

Smell: rich malt aroma with some slightly floral hops and a fair bit of chalkiness. Unfortunately, it's got this quality shared by most New Belgium brews which I don't like as much; sort of a muted funk which just doesn't kick with me.

Taste: fruity malt with those floral hops and a decided warmth contributed by the alcohol. It's also got plenty of that New Belgium je ne sais quoi which I don't love so much. As I drink more, it develops almost a soapy quality which, too, I don't like too much.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with good carbonation and creaminess. I like it.

Drinkability: as I mentioned, some of this beer's qualities are not my favorite. The soapiness that develops as the floral hops build, plus its New Belgiuminess, just don't enthrall me. On the other hand, it's not horrible.

07-19-2010 04:25:41 | More by flagmantho
2xHops

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

I will need to preface this with one comment: It is possible that the bottle I had is a bit too old for me to be giving it a fair review.

A - The head was great, and it looks tasty.

S - I can smell the hops emanating from this beer, and it does smell like what I'd usually smell in an IPA.

Taste - What the hell? There's barely any hop flavors coming out of this bottle. I'm starting to think it's an old bottle. The flavors aren't jumping out at me. It actually seems too flat by any standard.

Mouthfeel - It feels a bit too flat, and the flavors die out in your mouth a bit too quickly.

Drinkability - If as is, it would be not a good beer for an IPA lover. However, for everyone else that does not like hoppy beers, it may be good one to try.

I will have to test more bottles before I actually determine whether this bottle I'm tasting now is an anomaly, or the way it's made.

02-19-2011 02:09:16 | More by 2xHops
dhbiker0889

11-21-2013 21:03:54 | More by dhbiker0889
Abarhan

07-07-2012 17:36:23 | More by Abarhan
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass.

Pours dark copper, wee bit of haze, with a fluffy white head on top of about two and a half fingers. Head settles fairly quickly into a nice dense half-inch cap, and quite a bit of lacing.

Nose is rich and very spicy - white pepper, alcohol, earthy pine notes and a bit of nuttiness coming through from the yeast.

Taste starts off with more pungent peppery notes, a bit earthy, a layer of alcohol adding a bit of weight as well. This beer feels dense and earthy. Hops come through as pungent, very rindy grapefruit, rolling into the almost tangy caramel body underneath, revealing a rich, almost buttery sweetness as the beer warns to room temp.

This one has a denseness to it for sure, quite weighty, almost to the point of distraction. Big, fizzy carbonation alleviates that somewhat, but can be almost as big a distraction in its own right.

Ok in the drinkability department, but the big pungent hoppiness is so amplified by the peppery Belgian yeast that I feel like this was just the wrong direction to take this one. Not enough contrast brought into this one, which I feel is the real key to the top Belgian IPA's.

09-19-2010 01:47:59 | More by JohnQVegas
BucannonXC5

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Color was dark golden, almost caramel. A good amount of head, maybe 1 ¼ inches. Also a decent amount of lacing on the top and bubbly film on the sides.

Banana cloves dominated the smell, followed by wheat and caramel.

Initial taste was banana cloves that was quickly replaced by a bite of alcohol, maybe even rubbing alcohol. Very bitter finish.

Medium body. Lively carbonation. Bitter taste rules the day.

I just didn’t like the combination of what I thought was going to be a Belgian Ale and an IPA. It wasn’t smooth and was pretty unimpressive.

09-11-2011 06:48:04 | More by BucannonXC5
gatornation

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

from 22 oz bomber it pours a mostly clear light copper color with quick dissipating to a white collar and ring.. smell is fruity ,yeast,some spices i smell hops also..nothing great..taste is thin not bad but hos are missing,clove ,fruit spices ,and yeast are all thin but in the mix..this BIPA did not live up to its potential..it could have been fantastic..it looked good smelt allright..just fell short 4 me on taste

08-24-2010 21:07:49 | More by gatornation
CascadeConan

Washington

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Belgo pours a deep copper, think apple juice, also think apple juice because this beer has insane clarity.

A nice frothy white head with sparse lacing and a higher than usual level of carbonation as evidenced by the nucleation point on my New Belgium globe.

Smells like a belgian to me, tons of Belgian yeast notes and spicy esters, malty and big citrus notes. The first sip is sweet bready, biscuity malt backbone with spicey, estery, bananay notes provided by the yeast strain, in balance with that are a plethora of hops providing pine, fruitiness and warming alcohol on the way down.

For an IPA with a 5 hop blend I was expecting the hops to gang up on the yeast a little more, there are undeniable bittering notes from Chinook and Simcoe and Amarillo provide a mid pallet fruit burst but surrounding all of that is the spiciness of the yeast. This took a little getting over but it's interesting to tease all of those flavors out individually to see how they work in unison.

Overall a great Belgian style IPA, it's like a supercharged Ranger on Belgian yeast. At the same time it's not my favorite beer for the style.

09-23-2010 22:55:26 | More by CascadeConan
DeanMoriarty

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Picked up a 22oz bomber from Sea Trader Liquor here in OB for $6. and split it with a buddy into pint glasses.

A: Pours a clean light honey, slightly straw-like hue with a fat head that lingers for a few sips leaving good lacing from start to finish.

S: Huge yeasty mess - I get very little else, just a ton of Belgian yeast. Where's the hop??? I also get a bit of sweet fruit and grain, with maybe just a hint of floral hop at the very back end mixed with a bit of booze.

T: Man, still a ton of yeast - luckily the hop comes through a bit more in flavor than in the nose, but still just a yeast bomb. The taste is very sweet and malty too with some bubblegum/tropical fruit flavors. The hop is there, but struggles to assert itself properly as one would expect from an IPA.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied, good carbonation for the style, slightly sticky with a surprisingly strong lingering bitterness from the hop (where was it in the nose and flavor though???).

D: Enjoyable brew, but the sweetness and overwhelming yeast gets to be a bit overwhelming.

03-21-2011 19:35:14 | More by DeanMoriarty
hopfacebrew

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from brown bomber bottle to pint glass.

A - The beer pours with a solid 2 finger fluffy white head with decent retention and lacing. Clear copper/orange color.

S - Typical IPA aroma: hops and little malt character.

T - Unlike the nose, the hop character is actually quite subdued which I didn't expect. Not much hop flavor at all. The middle of the beer brings out a malty sweetness and Belgian yeast flavors along with some honey and biscuit flavors. The alcohol presents itself towards the end. The beer seems a little off balance even for an IPA.

M - The beer is actually rather thin and perhaps a little undercarbed?

D - Somewhat.

Overall, this is a decent beer but certainly not outstanding at all.

Reviewed on: 02-22-2011 14:26:41

01-27-2012 14:47:09 | More by hopfacebrew
NStLincoln

Nebraska

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a coppery gold with a white head that disappears in a hurry.

Getting some tutti fruitti bubble gum from the Belgian yeast. A distinct fake orange flavor, like Sunkist Orange pop. A nice hit of pine needles in there too.

A bready entrance into the taste, but really shockingly empty on the front and mid-palate. The hops kick in big time on the back end and the bitterness lasts forever. Nice carbonation and refreshing bite.

Smells great but falls pretty flat in the taste department.

08-05-2010 18:58:45 | More by NStLincoln