Lips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale AleLips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale Ale

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: CosmoHopHead on 07-04-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - BELGO Belgian India Pale Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: clear orange hue with a finger of compact ivory foam. Basic, but pretty nice.

Smell: rich malt aroma with some slightly floral hops and a fair bit of chalkiness. Unfortunately, it's got this quality shared by most New Belgium brews which I don't like as much; sort of a muted funk which just doesn't kick with me.

Taste: fruity malt with those floral hops and a decided warmth contributed by the alcohol. It's also got plenty of that New Belgium je ne sais quoi which I don't love so much. As I drink more, it develops almost a soapy quality which, too, I don't like too much.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with good carbonation and creaminess. I like it.

Drinkability: as I mentioned, some of this beer's qualities are not my favorite. The soapiness that develops as the floral hops build, plus its New Belgiuminess, just don't enthrall me. On the other hand, it's not horrible.

flagmantho, Jul 19, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

From a 22 into pint glass

A very clear orange golden copper, flat one thin layer hear. Screams refreshing.

Apricot, yeasty, spiced nose

Sour fruits in the front, followed quickly by tartness. Light bittering finish accompanied by dry apricot.

Creamy, weighty mouth feel, tight carbonation lingers over the tongue throughout the tastes, very edgy. The finish is sour and chewy.

I appreciate this brew, as a IPA lover, and a Belgian yeast enthusiast. Im looking to broaden my experience with Belgian IPA's. This being my first one rated (oh, Stone!) I have documented reference.

coastiefish, Jul 18, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Ultra clear brass colored ale with a tall white colored head.

Smell is hoppy but not extremely so. This is mostly pine in scent with enough coriander to tickle your nose. The only other hop scent I can ID is mango. Honeysuckle malt scent.

Starts out woody in a nice way and a little sweet. Pine and mango appear in the taste first. Nice and bright hop flavor but not a lot of subtle flavors. Great flavor but it simply doesn't meet complexity expectations.

Good mouthfeel.

Quite a drinkable and tasty BIPA. The only possible complaint might be the straightforward hop flavor with few complexities. Still this is a good beer.

Zorro, Jul 18, 2010
3.8/5  rDev 0%

Very nice frothy head. Tight bubbles and lots of retention. A very inviting golden amber.

coriander spicy Belgian yeast hit the nose first and hardest. orange peals.

Tropical fruits and a very slight funky Belgian taste is offset nicely by a hop bite. The hop flavors are not as pronounced as with many ipas. They mostly just hit me with a bite, but they seem to work very well like that in this brew.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, but slightly hot for the 8%. I am a fan of this beer. This beer provides me with a lot of hope for the lips of faith series. I have been relatively unimpressed by the other offerings.

bfields4, Jul 16, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours orange with a thick white head, good lace.

S: Very yeasty, orange marmalade, lemon, pear.

T: Apricot, peach and melon heavy. Lots of tasty esters (yeast component). Nice hop flavour - some grapefruit/San Diego, very citrusy, melds very well with the malt backbone.

M: Medium-bodied, big finish with a hint of booze, smooth.

D: Trying a non-sour New Belgium beer is always an adventure for my palate and usually ends up being a let down. However, this beer is fantastic, great hop and malt flavour, concentrated full taste, I liked it a lot.

Halcyondays, Jul 16, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle $5.99 This looks like it could almost be Ranger based upon appearance. The smell is hoppy but also has a distinct yeastiness. The taste is just belgian yeast to me with a good bit of hops going on. I guess Belgian IPA's just aren't my bag. I keep trying them and while they are hoppy I just always think those hops belong in an American IPA.

ArrogantB, Jul 10, 2010

22 oz. bottle with attractive retro (discoball) printed label.

Served cool into a New Belgium globe, Belgo has a slightly hazy golden orange color with creamy white head. The head is short-lived but leaves some great lacing behind.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy with a definate banana character.

Flavor is nicely bittered but with lots of tropical fruit flavor. Good balance from start to finish. The hops seem appropriate for the style whereas some brewers use too much west coast style citrus and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with moderate carbonation and good bitter/dry finish. Alcohol is fairly well-hidden for an 8% beer.

Overall a good version of the style. I've

GilGarp, Jul 10, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +25.8%

The best beer I've had in some time. A nice deep color with a medium head. A great hoppy first taste, followed by a excellent aftertaste with a hint of rye? that leaves you wanting to have an IV line in your mouth so that the taste never leaves. One of the first combination beers I have had that really combines two flavors effectively to enhance the other.

gildobeer, Jul 10, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Winey, aromatic and unusual IPA.

Nice golden color in the glass. Aroma hits you first. Five different hops, label says, and a wonderful aromatic bunch without huge bitterness. Excellent complexity of flavors, not so identifiable as Belgian, but malty and spicy. A touch of sweetness but more piney richness.

It's certainly a sippable and entertaining beer. I like to try different IPAs to see what kinds of hops folks are using. This one is enjoyable to me not for the excess of hops but for the good blend. I'd like to taste more IPAs like this.

And it's "Belgo" not "Belpo."

mactrail, Jul 09, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

paid $8/22oz bomber. Bottled 6/16/10. Served in my New Belgium globe

A: pours a hazy, straw colored yellow with a bright white, full finger head. lacing was thin and spotty

S: smells of spicy Belgium yeast with a fairly nice earthy hop presence and some grains thrown in

T: similar to the nose, the Belgium yeast was the most noticeable but the bite from the hops made for a nice, spicy blend. Some slight toasted grains and malts and a dash of farm funk made for a pleasant taste.

M: fairly high carbonation with a light body

D: went down nice and smooth and very easy. was good and refreshing with a bit of hop kick and good dryness.

Overall, I was skeptical of this beer when I bought it since I'm not the biggest NB fan but this was a nice surprise. At the price, I would buy again.

CosmoHopHead, Jul 04, 2010