Lips Of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style Weisse - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style WeisseLips Of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style Weisse

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-14-2010)

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

3.73/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy, light yellow body with a very small white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no real amount of lacing.

The aroma starts out very sweet, almost like Karo syrup. In the background, I get notes of banana and tart apple.

The flavor is actually better than I expected from the aroma. The tart fruit flavor is not overly dominated by the sweet, syrupy flavor, but they are in nearly equal parts.

Medium to light mouthfeel with a dry finish. Overall, not the best Lips of Faith brew I've had, but not horrible either.

3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

A hard pour produces a 2cm off-white head that quickly fades into the beer. Tiny amounts of lacing remain on the sides of the glass, practically nothing. The beer itself is a dark golden-orange in color, transparent, and with moderately active/visible carbonation.

The esters coming from this are so intense that it's a huge, virtually inseparable mash of old apple cider vinegar, souring/infected/rotting apples, pears, candy sugar, some indistinct solvent.

This is an undeniably sweet take on the style, but there's no denying the sourness and tartness present as well. What first hits me is some sweetness, which is quickly submersed by the sourness and tartness, which while not overwhelming, is very much present. This fades, over the course of about thirty seconds, to some malt flavors, and then the tasting is over. Aftertaste is very enjoyable for me, something like ghostly, but well-soured, apple cider.

Mouthfeel is comfortable, a medium amount of carbonation for a moderately heavy (as in middle of the road) heaviness. Finish is dry, as expected, from the sour bacteria. Clean mouthfeel, though, no noticeable grit on the palate.

I'm not hugely enjoying the scent of this beer, but I truly find myself enjoying the aftertaste, and I find the taste good as well. At first, I was thinking this would be a miss on my first smells and sips, but over the course of the bottle, find myself generally enjoying it. The beer has its peaks and troughs, but generally comes out on top.

2.68/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Sour Fest

A: The beer pours a clear, golden straw color with a small white head.

S: This does not smell like a Berlinerweiss. Apple juice, corn, and sugar are the primary aromas. A bit of bubblegum and popcorn smell to it as well. A strange fruitiness is also present, though I can't quite put a name on it.

T: Same story on the palate. Cotton candy, bubblegum, and corn syrup make for one sweet beer. No discernible tartness or bacterial character. Slightly vegetal and more popcorn.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Just crap. I generally like New Belgium's sour beers, and I love a good Berlinerweiss, but this just sucked.

3.9/5  rDev +13%

Poured a clear light amber, yellow with a huge hite pillow like head, and tons of carbonation. Very lively aroma, lots of grains and cereal hints, with some subtle fruit like flavors mixed in. Bananas and apples were the most prominant. Taste was quite nice. Such a lively, frothy and light flavor. lots of fruit, grain and tart favors mixed in with an unseen abv that must have taken a vacation

overall it was very interesting, after having one of the best berliners i have ever had, this was no match

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a light golden color with almost no head.

Smells of tart acid, some citrus, some unpleasant aromas also make their way in...can't quite put my finger on it.

The taste is a nice mix of tart acid, lemon, much better than the smell would have you imagine.

Mouthfeel is nice, highly carbonated and dry. It goes down easy.

This is a solid "sour" beer with a nice level of lactic tartness. The unpleasant aroma and lack of anything more stand-out make it hard to highly recommend, but surely worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Bomber with 6/16/2010 date stamp. I do not know if this is a best by or bottling date. I wish I did know, however. So let us now begin another adventure from the clearance cooler at the local liquor store! Yeah. I tend to find equal parts hidden gems and horrible experiences in the clearance cooler, and I cannot deny the random "take your chances" approach thrills me. But enough about me. This is about the BEER.

A. Pale yellow straw grass color, rather translucent with only the tiniest tinge of haze to it. I find myself wondering if the clarity is normal for the style, given that there is supposed to be lactobacillus fermentation going on here. Nearly no head at all. The carbonation even doesn't last very long. After 15 minutes of sipping, smelling, and observation it has become absolutely dead flat.
S. Now we're talkin'. Lemon yogurt smell all the way to the bank. I don't, however, smell the floral tones at all which the brewery claims this brew to have :( Just yogurt. I can, however, smell the pale wheat malt ever so faintly hiding behind the tartness.
T. Mmmmm. Its tastes like baby's first Flemish. A Flemish for beginners, if you will. Very light sourness, very light malt, mostly lemon and wheat with a yogurt backburner. I'd rate it higher but I have a personal preference for the more heavy-duty sours. So this seems sort of Mickey Mouse to me. However, I have no idea if this lightness of sourness is normal for the berliner weissbier style. For all I know, it just might be.
M. No complaints here.

Overall, this adventure in the land of clearance has gotten me intrigued enough to purposefully keep an eye out for further examples of this style to try. I want to try them and then think about this one with a new perspective, perhaps.

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore CA

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that fades quickly

S - Has a tart wheaty grassy nose

T - Follows the nose with tart wheaty flavors

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

O - While I do really like this beer its not as tart as others I've had from the style and theres no need to make it an imperial thats why Berliner Weissbiers kick ass because they are session beers however this beer is still worth getting sometime to check it out

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Pours a nice pale straw color almost a mild lemon yellow. There is a thin 0.5 inch head that recedes fairly quickly and leaves a slight soapy ring around the glass.

S - Slight tart yogurt notes. Some nice lemon zest and slight bready malty sweetness. Lemon meringue also comes to mind. Slight sweet wheat notes as well. Pretty straight forward aroma.

T & M - Taste starts off with some mild sweetness that then has some delicious yogurt tartness. There are some nice slight lemon notes that are mild and deliciously mixed in with some malty and wheat sweetness. Bread notes intermingle and play very well with the slight tartness. Nice light buddy with some mild carbonation that actually makes the beer more appealing.

O - Pretty good and mild intro to the style. Not bad at all. Good wheaty flavor balanced with the tartness.

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%

Paid $9.99 for a bomber from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA. Poured into a snifter to review.

Pour is very light with a half inch fizzy white head that dissipates quickly leaving a small ring of retention on the inner rim of the snifter. Great lacing. Beer is extremely light yellow in color and transparent.

Nose brings grassy hops, apricot, banana, lemon citrus, German yeast and wheat.

Taste is a bit more sour than I was expecting. The sour taste is noticeable up front and then it fades quickly bringing on a light fruit sweetness. The wheat is not too noticeable in the taste, which to me, is a bonus. Lots of grassy, citrusy hops.

As the pour suggested, this one is light bodied and light in the mouthfeel. I guess this is commendable for this being 7%. Not quite crisp, but certainly a shorter finish.

A different beer, but one that may seem a little confused and for me did not quite hit the mark, especially at the $10/bomber price point.

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

Not too familiar with this style but gonna do my best to review it.

Poured gently to avoid much of the bottle conditioned suspension form a 650mL bomber. Color is clear and pale, straw coloration like lemon and honey, second pour is slightly hazy. Tiny fizzy head killed by the wheat and alcohol in a matter of seconds. Small amount of yeast floats in suspension. Looks more like lemon and honey tea than beer.

Smell is rather like juice, grains, apple, lemon rind and predominant white grapes on the nose follows by a slight tartness and noticable alcohol.

Tastes much like the nose, almost like white wine, very sweet. The alcohol is actually well hidden. Wheat followed by muscat juice, lemon tartness with vinegar. Drying finish with wheat, more lemon and subtle maltiness to balance it out. Quite refreshing.

Fizzy slightly biting carbonation that works for this beer as well as a slightly heavy body for weisse beer.

Not sure what all the disappointment is about this beer, not exactly a great looker but it has a balanced tartness as well as a refreshing flavor. Rather sweet but lacks a syrupy mouthfeel and not at all cloying. Good if not great venture into something different.

2.33/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes. Pour yields a very light yellow-apricot color with a thin white head that doesn't stick around all that long. The nose brings some light citrus and an unpleasant wheat character plus a bit of bread. Really plain and a bit off. The flavor is sweet with a very, very slight amount of lactic sourness. This is weird. It's certainly not an imperial Berliner, which I was quite skeptical about in the first place. Light citrus and some bread. Feel has a bit of very light lactic character and a dry finish. Some sugar there as well. Just not a good concept and, on top of that, not very well executed.

3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

On-tap at Closed for Business in Charleston, SC.

Pours a slightly hazy lemon-yellow color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts with mild amounts of wheat twang and somewhat sweet lemon rind. Also present are hints of pear aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though more muddled. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by moderately tart citrus and wheat twang. The citrus become slightly more tart midway through the sip before they are joined by leafy hops and green apples. The hops fade out, allowing the citrus, wheat, and light malts to carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's got a decent thickness with slightly abrasive carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have any problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I was disappointed with this beer, although to be fair I should not have expected much from an "imperial berlinerweiss", a style akin to the "imperial mild". I'd love to see NB try this again, except without the imperial part. As a final note, I did not dislike the beer solely because of the oxymoron but rather because the flavors did not seem robust and well defined.

3.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes 2/27/11

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow, with no head just a ring of bubbles.

Smell: Sour apples, pineapple, lactose

Taste: Sour, apples, lactose

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, smooth, crisp

Overall: not one of the better berliner weiss's out there but glad I had a chance to try it.

Cheers,

The CPJ

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

650ml bottle poured into a snifter at cellar temp. I belive this was around $7 from the local store. Great to see another brewery making a Berliner Weiss! Pours golden with a white head. Notes of sweet fruits and tart lacto. Needs more sour! Clean body, driinks well.

A - Pours a very clear, very light yellow. Less than an inch of head that disappears quickly. Filmy lacing on the drink down.

S - Rotten lemons, weak wheat smell. Honestly to me it smells like citrus Theraflu or Alka-Seltzer and vomit. I was really taken aback by this.

T - Watered down lemon fizzy medicine tablets. Stomach acid/bile like notes. I honestly started to feel sick from the taste of this beer.

M - Good carbonation but coupled with the medicinal smell and taste it reminded me too much of Theraflu or Alka-Seltzer.

D - I really hope I got a bad bottle or something. I was very disappointed by this beer.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from 22oz. bottle into New Belgium globe glass.

A-Pale, straw gold. Bright clarity. Dense, white head. Two fingers in width, quickly dissapates. Very little lacing. Effervescent bubbles.

S-Slight sweet malty aroma. Subtle breadiness, biscuity. Slight hint of funk and lactic acidity. No hop aroma.

T-Slightly sweet breadiness. Moderate to low tartness. Very low lactic acidity considering it is an IMPERIAL Berline Weiss. Slight Brett funk-horsey, earthy, leathery. Very low tropical fruit flavor. No hop flavor or bitterness.

M-Low to moderate mouth puckering considering the style. Slightly chewy. Moderate body. Crisp. Not as effervescent as I was expecting.

D-I was expecting more to be honest. Lacks that lacto tartness and acidity. Could be a little more effervescent. Still drinkable, but could be more tart, crisp, and refreshing. Still a good example of a rarely brewed style. Worth trying for the drinker who is wishing to dive into the sour beer realm.

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to Jwiss22 for this gift during our local secret santa exchange. Shared with wishuwerebeer on 12/13/10.

Poured into a pint glass, this brew appears a light golden color that is slightly hazy with particles stuck in suspension. A light film of white bubbles composes the thin layering of lace that is the head. Constantly streaming bubbles rise to the surface and fail to support the rapidly depleting head. A swirl barley brings more than a few bubbles to the surface.

The aroma is a combination of lemons, lactic notes, citrusy fruits, sulfur, grain and some souring funky smells very similar to puke. There is a minor indication of alcohol along with a scent that increasingly becomes more yogurt-like.

The taste is lightly tart with lemon and fruits almost like orange with estery alcohol. A flavor of wheat and bready grains is there mid-palate and lasts into the finish with some sulfur and funky flavors reminiscent of puke. A faint almost plastic flavor is also evident as the brew warms.

This is medium to light in the feel with a modest amount of carbonation. For the style, the alcohol is very much imperialized but across the board is hidden quite well. Fairly drinkable with an increasing warmth. Leaves the mouth tingly and slightly puckered like the feeling you get when eating unflavored/unsweetened Greek yogurt. The concept behind this brew is quite the oxymoron, however for what it is it is decent and worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

This was reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #3

Blind beer #6 of the 2nd box Khazadum sent my way.
Poured into my East End Brewing pint glass on 12/24/10.
Merry Christmas everyone

A - pours a clear straw yellow with a quick white cap that quickly faded to a layer of very fine bubbles

S - i'm picking up some tart apples, grapes, maybe some peaches, nothing too overpowering, sort of subtle

T - Again, i'm picking up the tart apple, some peaches and the grapes again. nice flavor, can't say i've had something like this before. sort of wheaty but not.

M/D - Light-medium bodied with good carbonation. Mouthfeel is crisp with a slightly dry finish. Its real easy to drink and very light in the mouth. Slightly tart but not so much that you couldn't drink a few bottles of it.

Not really sure what this is, so lets pull it back...
New Belgium Lips of Faith Imperial Berliner Weisse

Nice, one of my wants. I really enjoyed drinking this one and despite it getting some bad reviews, I think its pretty decent. Thanks for this one.

2.28/5  rDev -33.9%

First thing is first, this is one of my new favorite styles of beer and I like it because 1. Its light in body 2. It has a moderate tartness and 3. Its low in alcohol. Those three things I love about this style are all SHIT ON BY THIS BEER. An "Imperial Berliner Style Weisse" is an oxymoron like Renaissance man or Criminal justice....saying those words in proximity just doesn't make any sense...I have to eventually write a serious review otherwise my review of this gross, grainy, flat, mess of a beer will be deleted by moderators, so here I go.

Beer served on draft. Beer is yellow and hazy with a thin white head of wispy little bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation appears low. Looks OK.

Aroma is grainy and wet, not a lot of lactic in there but I guess I can find it.

Should I be able to taste alcohol in any kind of weiss beer? Maybe a wheatwine or something like that but this si just fucking gross. Its hot and sweet at leadoff, minimal sourness on the midpalate and a finish that is like grain husks. Sour mash eh? I hate it.

3.38/5  rDev -2%

This beer survived a cross-country road trip I took pretty well. Poured from a nicely designed 22oz bottle, it was bubbly and straw colored from the outset. Super clear. Initial smell was of cooked vegetables, sauerkraut to be exact. My buddy kept saying it smelled like french fries which was hard for me to pinpoint. Taste was more sour than you think and I kept telling my friends how much it tasted like a dry white wine. Chardonnay maybe? No one else seemed to be into finishing their tasting so I took over and got to liking this beer. It's an imperial berlinweisse so I didn't have much to compare it to, but it's definitely a beer you just want one bottle of.

First review! Woo!