Lips Of Faith - Vrienden (Allagash Collaboration) - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Vrienden (Allagash Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Vrienden (Allagash Collaboration)

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.50% ABV

Wild beer with brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 08-02-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Bmoyer0301

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance:

Tonight I deiced to break out one of my coolest but impractical glasses that I have in the cabinet, my Kwak Belgian bubbled flute in a wooden holster. I happen to come across this glass when I was buying a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin and it was sitting on the shelf for a measly $2.00, so I couldn't resist the temptation for such a unique glass. I proceeded to pull the cap off this very decorative bottle and was greeted with a loud hissing swoosh sound. On the pour I decided to tilt the glass very hard because the slender neck of this tends to really amp up the head and foam. As I finished up I was left with a one finger thick tan head and the color appears to be a copper amber tone almost like a Duracell battery. As I hold the glass up to the light there is absolutely no haze and this is pristine clear and I can see right through the other side. On the swirl there is not much viscosity going on here, seems pretty thin.

Smell:

Right of the start, I am reminded of very floral Marzen lager with some biscuit notes. Green apples, pear and spice seem to be the dominant aromas here maybe followed by a little pepper. As my glass warms up a bit the lacto and brett funk starts to shine through more, almost like acidic grapefruits and a little funk like a musty basement. In the finish I am finding something strange that reminds me of fluff marshmallow.

Taste:

Hmm..a sharp citrus note starts this complex ale off. This reminds me of Russian River Redemption that I had last week with just a touch more caramel and toffee notes. Very floral spices that I can't put my finger on but they seem to work very well here. Wet earthy undertones, followed by barnyard hay and alfalfa then once that glides over your tongue a nice quick burst of sourness puckers my mouth. In the finish I can taste some wood from the barrel and cranberries that really make everything come together very well.

Drinkability:

Overall, this was a great beer to end my holiday with because it wasn't to heavy nor to light and it really was perfect for after dinner. I was super excited to receive this beer as a extra so another big thanks to Amanda for hooking me up with this. I would definitely say that this could be a nice easy sour for beginners because its not eye watering like some of them out there. I really wish we had the opportunity to buy New Belgium beers here in Pennsylvania because the Lips of Faith series would always be in my fridge. If you get the opportunity to give this beer a shot got for it because I think it fly's under the radar and is very enjoyable.

12-26-2010 22:13:39 | More by Bmoyer0301
Avagadro

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%

A: light copper in color with great clarity. Head is minimal, as well as lacing.

S: granny smith apples and bing cherries create a tangy sweet bouquet.

T: semi sweet, semi sour, 100% delicious. Cherries take over, and join with vanilla and orange zest.

M: semi-full body, with a slight creaminess.

D: I feel that this is closely related to a flanders red ale. I would prefer this over duchess any day!

12-26-2010 19:08:07 | More by Avagadro
ferrari29

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from bottle into stemmed Tulip glass

A - Strong amber/red color to the body of this beer; half finger beige foam formed during pour; not much lacing that didn't stick to the sides of the glass for very long; less than average amount of carbonation

S - Deep grassy smells; spices do come up like coriander and lemon; malty; complex blend of ingredients, with the hibiscus and endive to make a flowery scent of a quality beer

T - Hibiscus and endive come up at the front and follow all the way through to the end; still feels a bit messy with too much complexity of ingredients; lemon zest; aftertaste is a bit much of hibiscus and endive; dry and very sour

M - creamy feel; bubbly and effervescent on tongue; flavors really don't pick up until the back of the month and disappear very quickly; aftertaste is strong, probably from the sour-tart feel

T - The beer has a very funky taste to it; I expected it to be a bit better, not much bite and kind of a mess; this beer might be from a bad batch or could be skunked; I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't have another one

12-25-2010 20:58:14 | More by ferrari29
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured In: Wine Glass
Purchased at Barriques

Appearance: The pour is an amber color with a finger of head that dissipates quickly. I wasn't expecting a long lasting head given the presence of lactobactillus and the higher ABV. The lace on the side of the glass is practically non-existent. The beer looks slightly effervescent.

Smell: The nose has a nice floral aroma with some pepper and apple mixed in as well. The brettanomyces is definitely present, and it's playing really nicely with the lactobactillus. There's a nice acidic edge in the nose mixed in with a bit of barnyard funk.

Taste: The palate starts out with some bitter pale malt that quickly goes away. The brettanomyces and lactobactillus really do this beer wonders. It doesn't have a very strong brett flavor, nor is it extremely acidic, but the acidity is cutting out nearly any sweetness that would sit in this beer, which not being a fan of sweets I applaud. There's some apple and cherry flavor that comes through, both being tart. The brettanomyces gives the beer a nice funky edge, though it's very faint.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin bodied. Carbonation was perfect right upon opening the bottle.

Drinkability: I shared this bottle with some family members, but I could definitely go through this bottle myself. The combination of flavors and the carbonation level is perfect. This was an excellent beer.

12-25-2010 20:01:56 | More by Ek0nomik
WYVYRN527

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into an etched New Belgium tulip glass from a 22 ounce bottle.

A: Deep amber, almost crimson hue with a creamy off-white head that retains very nicely. Lacing is sticky, and coats the inside of the glass.

S: The aroma is definitely funky, with some citrus, wood, and extremely floral notes, along with just a hint of a grassy character.

T: Very unique flavor. Malt provides a backbone with some caramel and biscuit, but it's overpowered by some barnyard funk, citrus, apples, and some floral, grassy notes. Tart, but not so much that it leaves the mouth in pain like some wild ales.

Notes: This is a medium bodied brew of the wild style, and by wild, I mean it. The endive brings out extra grassy, vegetal flavor, and the hibiscus definitely provides a floral element to the beer that even certain hops couldn't express. Very tasty, and easy to drink. Could be my favorite of the LOF series so far.

12-25-2010 08:40:10 | More by WYVYRN527
Reagan1984

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Enjoyed this in a large wine glass. A wonderful pillowy white head 3 fingers high formed and stayed on the scene for a while. Eventually settled to a thin ring of foam in the glass. Sticky spider web lacing is all over the inside of the glass as you enjoy.
A slight haze in the straight amber beer.

Wow, this is a barnyard smelling beer. Earthy, funky with a lot of wood notes. Green apple and very perfume like which I assume is the hibiscus.

Pretty interesting beer. Certainly a lot going on. Very dry and crisp with green apple and pear flavors. Lots of funk in the flavor as well. Not as tart or acidic as many wild ales. Definitely more subdued in this category, but the funk seems to step forward. Very earthy. A bit like dirt. The wood is very pronounced as well.

Dry, dry.. crisp.

Interesting... Not classic, but interesting.

12-23-2010 23:18:12 | More by Reagan1984
Ambiorix

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Clear, coppery pour with a fine, offiwhite head. Bubbly. Decent lacing.

S: Funky, fruity, brett, yeast. Not as much funk as I'd have thought.

T: Juicy Fruit gum, slight brett bitterness, as little sweet, p[erhaps from the lactobacillus, vinous, nicely bitter finish balances against the sweetness well.

M: Nice carbonation, dry finish.

D: Nicely done, though not as over-the-top as I was hoping.

12-23-2010 22:46:37 | More by Ambiorix
sacrelicio

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

An amazing, refreshing, interesting sour. Golden and spritzy in appearance. Smells funky, tart, appley, lemony, woodsy (cedar). Taste is lightly tart, lemony, like a sauvignon blanc perhaps. Drinkable as all get out. Delicious. I must get more! Also a great starter sour/wild for those who are new (as I am). It was a hit with a tasting group of 8 people. Everyone liked it.

12-23-2010 06:11:01 | More by sacrelicio
ElGordo

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Body is a pretty blonde color with some amber highlights and a fairly lively carbonation. Sweet malt and sour yeast provide an interesting interplay on the nose, with good notes of tropical fruit in the background. Palate is also a sweet-and-sour dichotomy of sweet pale malt, candi sugar, and tropical fruit balanced by the sourness of the brett and endive. A distinct vegetal note (from the endive, I guess) adds some depth and is interesting, but not too distracting. Finish is a nice sour fruit flavor.

12-22-2010 05:48:32 | More by ElGordo
atsprings

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

22oz bomber into a tulip glass pours an almost crisp dark orange with a thin diminishing khaki head. Aroma is a decent blend of sweet fruits and Belgian spice. The taste is a nice amount of tart fruits with a nice amount of spice alongside, interesting balance. The beer is medium bodied with a nice subtle dryness. This is a very interesting beer, one I certainly could see myself having again.

12-21-2010 20:46:30 | More by atsprings
kbutler1

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Poured into a New Belgium tulip glass a clear rosy red hued brownish color with a white head. The aroma instantly reminds me of a Belgium white beer (although I know it is not) with hints of some sour tpe fruit flavors. Hmm the taste is kind of interesing, starts off with a subtle tartness and then transitions to a more soft fruit and floral type taste, fruit flavors remind me of apple, pear, and cherry. Ends rather dryly. For 8.5% the alcohol is not very apparent. Not overally funky or tart but easy drinking and decently tasty. Nothing too extreme though. Some lace.

12-21-2010 00:43:42 | More by kbutler1
jjanega08

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A= The pour is a nice deep amber color that verges onto brown toward the center of the glass and has a nice bubbley white head rise out of it before falling to a ring around the glass.

S= Great smell. Sort of a clean sour note to it if that makes any sense. It has a funky earth tone to it taht I'm attributing to the Hibiscus and Endive. Really plesent smelling without being outragously sour smelling. There's actually a lot of complexity in this guy. With a swirl a little alcohol aroma comes out more and is intertwinded with the fruity earthy sour notes so make it a little more harsh.

T= The taste is interesting. Not nearly as sour as it could be. A very light sour actually with a strong earthy vegetable sort of flavor to it. There is a good amount of funk to it as well. A little woodiness comes through and the sour notes sort of stick to the roof of your mouth for some reason if that makes sense. Very interesting.

M= Dirty and raw feeling. I love it. Sort of a rough finish that lasts in your mouth.

D= Pretty good. This is a decent brew. I wish it would have soured just a little more. On the sour scale I would call this a soft sour and my preference is more of the mid ground. Worth checking out however.

12-17-2010 04:32:26 | More by jjanega08
msemich

Tennessee

New Belgium Vrienden:

-Poured a golden amber color with a finger width of head, whick quickly dissapated. Quite clear with just a touch of haze in the glass. The bottom of the bottle was quite clean (more on that later). Overall in appearance it was quite nice.

-Smell: Smell was somewhat sweet with a bit of the brett/lacto on the edge, a little funky and a little acidity on the nose to start. As it warms the nose loses some of its sweetness and the funky notes come out a little bit further.

-Taste: Light and crisp on the tongue with a reserved sour bite halfway through the sip. Quite a bit of residual sweeteness at cool temperatures converting to just a bit of alcohol heat as it warms. My thoughts, after the first sip, were: "where are the herbs?" I could note some subtle hints, and really that's the way it should be in most cases, but with there being large labeling of the special ingredients (and for an American audience) I would have expected them to be a bit more present. The base beer feels like a strong golden style, which was quite well executed. The brett and lacto have definately had their go at the beer, but could really go longer to build up some further flavor and carbonation. The mouthfeel was solid, with no dropoff in flavors or watery feel.

-Summary: If I had to pidgeonhole this one, it would be 'beginners sour'. It is quite strong at 9% and certainly includes a great deal of interesting elements that almost *over* blend to form a unified flavor. The result is something which is very enjoyable, but is overbuilt from the description on the bottle. I congratulate New Belgium on crafting a well balanced flavor...but this is not only a sour, it is a collaboration with Allagash -- and that changes some expectations. I do not much feel that the Allagash style is represented in the presence of the New Belgium hands. Part of this, I think, is that these were not aged for terribly long and I do not believe were bottle conditioned. Both of these would have seriously helped out the flavor. I noted above that the beer was very clear all the way to the bottom. In a sour I want that last bit to be murky and mean....it means that the bugs have had time to do their part in the flavor, if it is pretty and clear then I worry that I am still drinking it too young. I would be very interested in letting this one age for a time and see how it develops.

I certainly didn't expect an Oude Brune, Flanders, or Lambic from this one. I expected more of an Eric's Ale + Allagash big flavors with a good deal of herbs and reserved sour. It missed this mark a bit. HOWEVER! I still liked this one a lot; as a starter sour it hits the mark and I would certainly buy more just to see how it ages and as a pre-cursor to further sours over the course of a session night.

-Pairing: Given the reserved sour but high alcohol %, food pairing can get interesting. Cutting the acid with a fat would be a good idea, as well would be pairing it with a more distinctly flavored meat. Ripened cheeses, lamb (no mint..), venison. On the other hand, stay away from starches and this one, I believe that they would cover the flavor and act against one another to the detriment of both. Given the opportunity, I would enjoy this one with a Nicoise salad.

B+

12-15-2010 15:27:19 | More by msemich
pdoran10

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a ruby brown color with half a finger of white head. Nice bright looking beer.

Smell is sweet malt with a hint of lacto sour and brett funk just slightly coming through. sweet slight caramel malt is prominent.

taste is carmalized mid roast malt, hint of sugary sweetness. very moderate sour note that comes through, and just a hint of barnyard funk from the brett. overall a bit sugary sweet overwhelming the interesting lacto and brett flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate to high carbonation with substantial mouthfeel. Well crafted here.

Good flavors in this beer but a bit to much sweetness up front makes me only want one of these. Would love to see if this beer developed into an amazing beer with some age on it for the bugs to do some more work.

12-13-2010 16:20:28 | More by pdoran10
dougofthefuture

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Picked this up on a whim recently. It is pretty cool to see allagash anything in MN.

A. A very clean looking beer. Such a light amber color that it appears watery. I know the style can result in many different hues, but this seems very light.

S. Herbal, slightly musty. Maybe a hint of tartness. I don't really know what an endive is, but the overall aroma is very nice.

T&M. Funk and tartness match the aroma - present but not strong at all. More complementary. It is too bad, because there isn't too much to complement. Malt aspect is that of a standard Belgian pale, with a strong herbal/floral characteristic. I am wishing for more funk and a drier finish.

D. This is a good beer, but not a great one. One thing that can be said is that the alcohol is very well hidden. Again, I wish it was a bit more than subtlety funky though. I think it is pasturized, so age probably wouldn't help. Maybe I am wrong?

12-13-2010 01:35:21 | More by dougofthefuture
hwwty4

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Found this puppy just sitting at my local while I was looking to buy my case of this years Boulevard BBQ. I was pretty stoked to find it. I love Allagash beers and I think that some of New Belgium's Sours are the best available. 2 of my favorite beers of 2010 have been Allagash Odyssey and Eric's Ale. Both breweries do some fantastic beers and I was stoked to hear that they were going to do a collaboration brew and it was going to be available with limited distribution.

Poured a 22oz bomber into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a old copper with a 3 finger head that leaves very evenly distributed lacing down the sides of the glass. It always throws me off to see a funked beer pour something that's perfectly translucent. To me, funked beers should pour hazy. I really wish they would leave them unfiltered, allowing the buggies to do some damage after it was bottled. The nose is a collage of aromas that brett can produce. Up front is musty closets, old hay, damp earth, a bit of barnyard intermingled with fresh flowers and a subtle malty sweetness. Really top notch. The flavor profile is a bit more subdued. The brett comes through with musty clothes and dry grasses. There is just a hint of a lactic tang. Either the hibiscus comes through or the hops, but there is a definite floral flavor. Just a bit of malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is a bit watery for me. I would have expected the brett to dry it out a little more. If you toss out the aroma, this beer is just average. The aroma is fantastic.

12-11-2010 01:49:44 | More by hwwty4
champ103

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston.

A: Pours a stunningly clear reddish/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Some patchy lace is left behind.
S: Musky basement funky, some Brett, and sweet malt. Simple, but very nice.
T: At first a quick snap of fruity tartness hits the tongue. Pears and apples, though that quickly fades. Some barnyard or basement like funk lingers on. I really like it.
M/D: A medium to full body. Very smooth, crisp, and dry at the same time. So easy to drink. This was gone in no time, and I could easily drink another and another.

A really interesting beer. Proof that Wild Ales don't have to be all sourness and still be different at the same time. Something I would highly recommend.

12-10-2010 02:57:14 | More by champ103
Beaver13

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a medium frothy white head that goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is some sweet doughy malt and floral spices with a bit of brett.

The flavor is sweet fruity malts followed by some brett some spices and a little tart tangy fruits and a medium bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, it's pretty similar to NB Imperial Berliner Weisse. Not too complex and lightly sour. I think it has a bit more Brett and some different spices (hibiscus?) that I wasn't sure I cared for as much.

12-09-2010 06:14:23 | More by Beaver13
glid02

Georgia

On-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta.

Pours a clear light amber color with a one-finger white head. The head dissipates into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts, slightly tart berries/cherries, and soft spicy hops, in that order.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly sweet indistinct malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by lightly tart cherries and berries, more cherry influence than in the aroma. Very light amounts of earthy hops come into play midway through the sip before quickly fading into a crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I didn't have any problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this was a pretty neutral beer as far as the style goes. A nice intro to sour beers but nothing worth seeking out.

12-04-2010 23:20:19 | More by glid02
rye726

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

Fairly boring beer from these two breweries. I expected much more. Simple and lacks complexity. A hint of wild yeast is the only interesting aspect.

Nice looking beer though, silky lace. Crisp refreshing body. Not a bad session beer. But too expensive for that!

12-03-2010 05:15:19 | More by rye726
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

Big thanks to Nick for the sample.

Sweet malt, musty brett, some bubblegum, odd.

Slight tartness up front, then a sweet malty character, then things get really weird. The most intriguing, hard to pin down flavors are on the finish. Herbal, floral, wonderful complexity. I don't know that I would pick out endive or hibiscus specifically, but the herbal/floral character they lend is unmistakable.

Medium bodied, not much to say here.

Very dinkable, abv is well masked. Excellent balance, the tartness, brett, and additives are all in harmony. Good inro to wild ales for those that might be scared off by more acidic or funky beers.

12-02-2010 19:10:54 | More by BradLikesBrew