1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

pDev: 15%

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,481 | Reviews: 1,753 | Show All Ratings:
BMac17

Long legged golden orange beauty has hints of caramel and toasty biscuit like malts, a full bodied mouth feel compliments rich, tangy and refreshing hops with a touch of spice!

One of my favorites that is great to revisit after awhile, I always catch myself saying I should have this more often.

12-24-2011 07:14:17 | More by BMac17
Bronks

This beer is one of my favorites from a great brewery with excellent standards. A staple for any place with a craft beer selection! We will be keeping this beer on our list for a long time! We will also be rotating New Belgium's seasonal selections!

01-18-2013 15:03:26 | More by Bronks
treehugginslug

4.95/5  rDev +37.5%

A - Good, but really, who cares about color.

S - So good, this is the perfect mix of sweet caramel malt and hops.

T - Balanced and effervescent, the taste is almost like there are herbal elements to the beer.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink a six pack so easily.

Whould I buy it again: Absolutely
Would I recommend it to a friend: Absolutely
Would I drink it if I was offered at a party: Absolutely
Would my wife drink it: Yes
Overall: This is my favorite beer, hands down. It has the perfect balance of malt and hops. Very effervescent and so drinkable.

01-20-2011 05:46:53 | More by treehugginslug
RyanS107

4.9/5  rDev +36.1%

The bottle, the name, the taste...all make this beer the best in the US. In Ohio here, I cannot get it. When I travel to a state that does serve this, it is the only beer I drink. Get it when you can. I cannot wait for it to be sold nationwide. Any ideas on when that will happen?

01-03-2005 02:58:17 | More by RyanS107
Duxx

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +35.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Awesome amber color with a whitish beige head. I really like the color of this beer. I just wish it had a little better head. When I pour this beer I only get about 1/4" of head that fades quickly but leaves good lacing on the glass. If it just had a little more head it would be a 5.0.

S: Very mild and sweet. No noticeable hop aroma. Kind of a sweet wet grain smell. It's not at all offensive but just hard to accurately describe. Seems everyone else calls this beer's aroma biscuit like. Well that aint what my mama's biscuits smelled like but...good aroma anyway.

T: This is where this beer really shines. Very mild malt flavor. No hops bite at all. Either very low hops or really well balanced by the maltiness. Very unique flavor profile, almost like toasted 7 grain bread? I've never tasted a beer like it. I'm generally a big fan of big hops but I really like this beer.

M: Great mouthfeel. Just like Goldilocks, not too thin, not to thick. Very creamy almost like a nitrogen tap.

D: Very easy to down several of these. No harsh aftertaste. Even my non-beer drinking friends will drink this beer. All in all, this is no doubt my favorite go-to beer when I don't feel like a strongly hopped beer.

12-07-2009 04:41:16 | More by Duxx
don3422

4.86/5  rDev +35%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go to beer whenever I am out. It is generally available anywhere. I prefer beers that are higher in malt flavoring than hoppy beers. This one has a good head, and though it says amber it has a slightly darker color. But the taste is what gets you, refreshing every time.

07-15-2013 17:28:48 | More by don3422
JalfPsu

4.85/5  rDev +34.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium goblet. As a PA resident, this smuggled beer was my first foray into New Belgium beers, and it was a wonderful experience.

The first thing I noticed was the color. Calling this beer "amber" doesn't do it justice. It's a rich gold, with pleasing effervescence, and a thin, creamy had that left intricate lacing along the inside of the goblet as it receded.

The smell is not overly assertive, and it's dominated by an inviting, bready aroma, with a strong undercurrent of sweet malts. Overall, the aromas are extremely pleasant, and mesh well with the flavors of the beer.

The taste did not disappoint. The bready yeast flavors and rich maltiness are certainly there, and it's moderately sweet, but never cloying. This is a very well balanced beer, with no one flavor overwhelming the palate. There's also a very subtle hop character, but it only comes through in the aftertaste, adding another note of complexity to this brew.

The body is light and crisp, with a relatively high degree of carbonation, almost cleansing the palate between sips, leading to a beer that is continually pleasant and refreshing.

This beer was heavily hyped for me, but it certainly lived up to it! If Fat Tire was available in Pennsylvania, I would probably drink it every day.

12-01-2009 04:40:12 | More by JalfPsu
Vidav

Montana

4.83/5  rDev +34.2%

Poured a deep red/orange mix. Small head of around 1/2 inch. The smell is strongly of wheat or grasses. Tastes of biscuits and malt. Nice strong flavor. Overall this is a really nice brew. Something I could drink a lot of and always enjoy it. I know a lot of people put this one down but I think there is a lot going on here that makes it one of the top beers around.

07-10-2009 02:17:24 | More by Vidav
cvoss

Iowa

4.83/5  rDev +34.2%

A-Nice amber color. Finger width head that goes quick but leaves long lasting lacing.

S- Nice toasty biscuit smell. Very pleasant.

T- Excellent. This beer has a delicious finish.

M- Light/Medium

D- Its very hard for me to drink just one. Definitely sessionable. One of my favorite beers.

08-14-2009 00:39:29 | More by cvoss
Amenhotep

4.78/5  rDev +32.8%

I was turned on to this beer by a friend; I wasn't disappointed. My first experience with this brew was from a tap. After the tap handle was placed back into the raised position, the head introduced itself. Nice.

No Lace but it stayed a few.

My olfactory glands were pleasantly pleased with ample tones of hops.

The mouthfeel is similar to Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale.

The finish was 'buttery' smooth.

This is currently my favorite.

11-30-2007 03:00:24 | More by Amenhotep
punkindrublic50

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

Lets put it this way: before leaving Denver I managed to pack 28 New Belgium beers into my luggage to bring back to Jersey (no casualties), mostly Fat Tire. Compared to many of the exotics from Belgium and other American microbreweries Fat Tire really isnt that impressive, but it is a clean crisp refreshing ale that you can drink all day any day and never get sick of. The flavor isnt overpowering, just a light sweet combination of malt, spices and hops. One of my biggest torments in life is that NB isnt sold in New Jersey, and isnt likely to be any time soon. Those of you in the midwest - I dont think you appreciate how good of a daily drinker you have on hand.

06-18-2008 21:35:06 | More by punkindrublic50
BottleOfPills

West Virginia

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

Well I came across this beer at my better half's twenty year High School Reunion. One of her "clasmates" - afterall do you call them classmates after twenty years?? brought this in as an auction item to help raise money for the next reunion.

I bid $16 and ended up giving $20 for the Twelve Pack of cans.

Afterall being a Mountain Biker who could resist Fat Tire Amber Ale?

Appearance - kind of dark amber gold.. probably hence the "amber ale" title. DOH in my best Homer Simpson Voice.. I give it a 4.0 which is good.

Smell - hmmm.. its a crisp smell, if that makes any sense. Clean also... most of the Hoppy beers I drink do not impress me, but this.. hmmm I give it a 4.5.

Taste - Exceptional... currently in WV, Yuengling is all the rage.. this blows Yuengling out of the water - and at 5.2%. With the recent passage of the State's Craft Beer Law, I hope I find some places that start aqcuiring this beer.

Mouthfeel - I'm not sure I understand this quality. But holding it in my mouth, it feels crisp. Not like a cold Domestic, but not creamy like a Guinness. I can feel the carbonation. I like it. Good

Drinkability - I'm going with Exceptional, because I'm having a hard time saving two of these for my friends. This is excellent beer. I'm going to have to find more. (note I did save two for my pals)

Serving type: can

08-05-2009 01:42:04 | More by BottleOfPills
gueuzer

12 oz bottle

App- Bright reddish copper with a decent white head.

Sm- Mmm toasted biscuits and sweet wort. Excellent.

Ta- Toasted white bread with a firm sweet malt backbone. Subtle floral hops.

Ov- Excellent quaffing brew. One of my absolute favorites and possible the most under-rated beer of all time.

09-22-2011 18:43:44 | More by gueuzer
likethetaste

4.72/5  rDev +31.1%

I had this beer on draft in Greensboro, NC. When Oh When will this beer make it north to Virginia. It is great on draft and in bottle form!!

Poured a beautiful amber color with short lived head.
Taste is complex with hints of liquorish and even chocolate which is surprising for an Amber. Just a wonderful beer that is very easy to drink.

12-21-2009 00:44:33 | More by likethetaste
dayswonder

4.72/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours nicely into a snifter glass with just about 2 fingers of slightly cream colored head.

The fragrance of the brew is filled with caramel notes that ends with the slightest scent of fruit.

This beer is highly touted, and in my opinion it lives up to the hype. The taste is bursting with buttery caramel notes, after ingested the exhale though the nose adds the biscuit flavor that ties it all together.

The exceptional tastes is accommodated by a medium mouthfeel.

Very drinkable, but since I can not get this beer in PA, I can only enjoy this beer sparingly.

07-20-2010 01:16:32 | More by dayswonder
OStrungT

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

This beer pours a golden amber with a thin white head. The head dissapears quickly. It smells biscuity with a little hint of spice. Maybe ginger. Also smells a little flowery. It tastes sweet with a great ballence of hops and malt. Maybe just a little more hoppy than malty. Very smoothe. Very, very good. This beer is a well rounded beer that can be enjoyed any time. You can easily drink a few of these beers at one time due to the somewhat low alcohol content. Only 5.2% I can not get this beer where I live, but only a few hour drive away, I can, so I usually stock up. I usually like dark, malty beers, but this is definately an exception. Definately worth a try.

01-04-2005 00:28:54 | More by OStrungT
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

New Belgium just dropped here in Tn and this is one of the 3 available brews thus far. I've really enjoyed the other 2 so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

This pours out a rich deep amber color with a huge fluffy head and plentiful carbonation. Shelves of lacing down the glass throughout.. Awesome!

Beautiful aroma of warm fresh baked bread, rich and malty backed with the faintest of hops. Smells very inviting..

Oh, man I'm in love here. Rich, malty deliciousness that reminds me of a loaf of warm fresh buttered loaf of bread. The richness of the malt tastes wonderful going down.

Ok, I've found a new favorite session brew in this. It pretty much everything I look for in a session brew...delicious, not too heavy, and goes well with anything.

Hooray New Belgium! Thank you for making it to TN!!

07-11-2008 22:11:32 | More by Tilley4
zachary37

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

realized I'd never reviewed this rare gem, so here goes nothing.

pours a surprisingly nice light amber with marigold highlights into my new belgium tulip. A frothy, thick two-finger head fades slowly to a thin cap that leaves solid lacing. Looks good.

aroma is malt, a touch funky, nutty and corn. earthy and grainy. hints of earthy hops. the grain aroma gets stronger as it warms.

taste is clean, crisp, hints of fruit, hints of malt, and a touch of hops - just enough for a pleasant crisp bitterness. apples, pear, some wheat and a touch of white sugar.

mouth is solidly clean, with moderate body, ample fine carbonation, almost creamy but not too thick. really works.

all in all, what can i say that hasn't been said? When fresh, it's pretty solid. when not brand-spankin-fresh, it's border-line awful... which is why I'm tossing it a slightly lower score... something about the malt profile just gets funky as it warms.

07-28-2011 22:44:53 | More by zachary37
tomakeanend

4.69/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My favorite go-to beer. Excellent flavor, full-bodied, and great however you take it (can, draft, bottle). Whether you need something refreshing for a hot summer day or a nice accompaniment to a fine meal, Fat Tire is the kind of brew that is appropriate for every situation.

04-22-2013 02:03:09 | More by tomakeanend
BrewmasterNPB

4.68/5  rDev +30%

I'm not sure what all the hating on Fat Tire is all about but, I think it deserves all the praise it has recieved. As a homebrewer, I would love to get that nutty flavor in my beers. Fat Tire also has a great yeasty taste that I like, and it melds well with the nutty flavor to make what I would call "comfort beer".

03-29-2008 05:20:32 | More by BrewmasterNPB
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

This beer produces a giant head that leaves walls of sticky, sheet-like lacing. Color is new-penny copper and aromas are light grassy hops and grain. Smell is very fresh.

This is a pretty simple beer, just toasted malt sweetness with spicy and grassy hop bitterness but damn I will never get tired of this long-time favorite. Its just the right balance of smoothness, flavor, light and dark tastes. Great stuff. Light mouthfel with low carbonation. I have consumed great quantities of this beer in the past, and one day hope to do so again.

11-19-2006 01:15:16 | More by JudgeRoughneck
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

I have to admit, I was hooked from the get go on this one. This is the beer I get when I am in Texas. I really enjoy this one with a good juicy rare steak. By all means this one is my favorite beer of recent. I have tried the Abby that they offer but this one has blown my socks off.

12-30-2007 07:36:22 | More by skeetermoses
wolfpack87

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

A very tasty amber ale. Has the typical red look to it once poured in the glass. To me, the smell is a bit deceiving but still not a bad smell at all. Taste is excellent, far better than any other amber ale I've drank. Drinkability is also excellent, goes great by itself or with a meal if you so choose.

01-02-2010 19:20:46 | More by wolfpack87
AleBlager

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

The magical part of this beer is the way that you can smell exactly what you will be tasting. A creamy, malty aroma embraces a carmel/sugar/whatever-sweet-candy-you-can-think-of overtone. Fat Tire is a friggin' bouncy castle in a bottle. The taste is so malty and creamy that these flavors remain consistent throughout anything you taste afterwards. There is a distinct sweet aftertaste, pretty much candy, inside of that friggin' bouncy castle, inside of that bottle. Overall, all your worries come back at the bottom of the glass. This is easily one of the most adaptable beers out there.

12-11-2010 06:00:22 | More by AleBlager
deebo

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

A bottle with a BB date 18 Nov 12.

A-Poured into a pint glass, this beer gives a solid 2 fingers of a rather creamy slightly off white head that laces the glass quite nicely. Perfectly clear with an orangish amber color with a few CO2 bubbles making their way to the surface.

S-I really like the aroma of Fat Tire. My reference smell of biscuity sweet malt-this definitely is the dominant aroma. Minor notes of green apple.

T-Toasted malts with a fair amount of sweetness with just a touch of hop bitterness to cut it and help quicken the finish. I love the balance of malt and hops in this beer. Hints of fruity (apple) yeast also present to help give some extra complexity.

M-Plenty of carbonation to carry the malt and cut the hop end note. Medium bodied for the style.

O-A terrific beer. This was one of those gateway beers many years ago that made me marvel at what a beer could be beyond the standard pils most of us grew up with. Many years later it's still a beer I very much enjoy and like to have on hand as a great all-season beer.

08-27-2012 00:11:17 | More by deebo