Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,561 | Reviews: 1,947

This beer is one of my favorites from a great brewery with excellent standards. A staple for any place with a craft beer selection! We will be keeping this beer on our list for a long time! We will also be rotating New Belgium's seasonal selections!

Great beer

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. In my opinion it's best when you can get it on tap, but still quite good in the bottle if served in a good glass. It had a slight biscuit taste. Overall, you can't go wrong with this beer, and to top it off, it's sold almost everywhere, which is nice when there's no other options except macro brews.

I haven't had a lot of beers (just turned 21) but this is the best I've tried. I really love it, great quality, taste. Delicious.

If I can't drink at least 6....I don't really want to drink the beer. To many craft beers are to thick sugared up and over hyped....virtually undrinkable. The real trick in brewing is making a great tasting drinkable beer....and this is definitely one of them. One of my favorites! Great malty biscut like flavor with hints of fruit flavors. Very enjoyable.... I could drink 12 easily. Note: Isn't it interesting that the most popular beers are ranked the lowest......go figure. Beer nerds know more than any one I suppose.

This beer is incredible. Easily one of my favorites.

Hands down my favorite fall/ winter beer!

My favorite craft beer of all time

What else do you want? It's good beer in the American style. Damn good! It has a stong blended flavor that is well mixed by it's owners in large batches compared to the home brewer but it keeps its home brewed flavor and doesn't let me down. Yes , its an ale but what's not to love when you need a good beer!

Long legged golden orange beauty has hints of caramel and toasty biscuit like malts, a full bodied mouth feel compliments rich, tangy and refreshing hops with a touch of spice!

One of my favorites that is great to revisit after awhile, I always catch myself saying I should have this more often.

My favorite beer. Moved from Chicago to Colorado, still my favorite beer.

Excellent taste body style and color

4.94/5  rDev +37.6%

So far, this is my all time favorite beer. I'm always willing to try new thing, but I've yet to find a beer that I enjoy sitting back with than this one.

4.94/5  rDev +37.6%

A - Good, but really, who cares about color.

S - So good, this is the perfect mix of sweet caramel malt and hops.

T - Balanced and effervescent, the taste is almost like there are herbal elements to the beer.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink a six pack so easily.

Whould I buy it again: Absolutely
Would I recommend it to a friend: Absolutely
Would I drink it if I was offered at a party: Absolutely
Would my wife drink it: Yes
Overall: This is my favorite beer, hands down. It has the perfect balance of malt and hops. Very effervescent and so drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +35.9%

The bottle, the name, the taste...all make this beer the best in the US. In Ohio here, I cannot get it. When I travel to a state that does serve this, it is the only beer I drink. Get it when you can. I cannot wait for it to be sold nationwide. Any ideas on when that will happen?

4.85/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Awesome amber color with a whitish beige head. I really like the color of this beer. I just wish it had a little better head. When I pour this beer I only get about 1/4" of head that fades quickly but leaves good lacing on the glass. If it just had a little more head it would be a 5.0.

S: Very mild and sweet. No noticeable hop aroma. Kind of a sweet wet grain smell. It's not at all offensive but just hard to accurately describe. Seems everyone else calls this beer's aroma biscuit like. Well that aint what my mama's biscuits smelled like but...good aroma anyway.

T: This is where this beer really shines. Very mild malt flavor. No hops bite at all. Either very low hops or really well balanced by the maltiness. Very unique flavor profile, almost like toasted 7 grain bread? I've never tasted a beer like it. I'm generally a big fan of big hops but I really like this beer.

M: Great mouthfeel. Just like Goldilocks, not too thin, not to thick. Very creamy almost like a nitrogen tap.

D: Very easy to down several of these. No harsh aftertaste. Even my non-beer drinking friends will drink this beer. All in all, this is no doubt my favorite go-to beer when I don't feel like a strongly hopped beer.

4.85/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go to beer whenever I am out. It is generally available anywhere. I prefer beers that are higher in malt flavoring than hoppy beers. This one has a good head, and though it says amber it has a slightly darker color. But the taste is what gets you, refreshing every time.

4.83/5  rDev +34.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium goblet. As a PA resident, this smuggled beer was my first foray into New Belgium beers, and it was a wonderful experience.

The first thing I noticed was the color. Calling this beer "amber" doesn't do it justice. It's a rich gold, with pleasing effervescence, and a thin, creamy had that left intricate lacing along the inside of the goblet as it receded.

The smell is not overly assertive, and it's dominated by an inviting, bready aroma, with a strong undercurrent of sweet malts. Overall, the aromas are extremely pleasant, and mesh well with the flavors of the beer.

The taste did not disappoint. The bready yeast flavors and rich maltiness are certainly there, and it's moderately sweet, but never cloying. This is a very well balanced beer, with no one flavor overwhelming the palate. There's also a very subtle hop character, but it only comes through in the aftertaste, adding another note of complexity to this brew.

The body is light and crisp, with a relatively high degree of carbonation, almost cleansing the palate between sips, leading to a beer that is continually pleasant and refreshing.

This beer was heavily hyped for me, but it certainly lived up to it! If Fat Tire was available in Pennsylvania, I would probably drink it every day.

4.8/5  rDev +33.7%

A-Nice amber color. Finger width head that goes quick but leaves long lasting lacing.

S- Nice toasty biscuit smell. Very pleasant.

T- Excellent. This beer has a delicious finish.

M- Light/Medium

D- Its very hard for me to drink just one. Definitely sessionable. One of my favorite beers.

4.8/5  rDev +33.7%

Poured a deep red/orange mix. Small head of around 1/2 inch. The smell is strongly of wheat or grasses. Tastes of biscuits and malt. Nice strong flavor. Overall this is a really nice brew. Something I could drink a lot of and always enjoy it. I know a lot of people put this one down but I think there is a lot going on here that makes it one of the top beers around.

4.76/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love fat tire. It is my go to beer and always will be. It was the first real beer I ever drank. It goes well with pizza and even cheese. You can drink it all day. It tastes much better poured than out of the bottle or can. I cannot get enough of this beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer with a great taste!

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

I was turned on to this beer by a friend; I wasn't disappointed. My first experience with this brew was from a tap. After the tap handle was placed back into the raised position, the head introduced itself. Nice.

No Lace but it stayed a few.

My olfactory glands were pleasantly pleased with ample tones of hops.

The mouthfeel is similar to Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale.

The finish was 'buttery' smooth.

This is currently my favorite.

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

Amazing taste!! The best Amber Ale out there!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great "go to" beer. Nothing to brag about in any specific aspect, but fantastic overall. A chunk of medium rare cow and a ice cold fat tire draft should be the adult PB&J.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing