Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
beveritt

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into a standard pint glass. The label has an old-style red bicycle, leaning against a tree. Listed as best before 01JUN07. I cracked this baby open with a Fat Tire goblet shaped bottle opener a friend gave me just today.

Appearance: Pours with a 1/2 inch almost white head. This settles very slowly into a 1/4 inch coating of dense foam with a ton of lacing. The beer itself is a medium amber and perfectly clear.

Smell: Slightly metallic, bready malt aroma.

Taste: A little toasted/burnt flavor upfront, in a pleasant way. Hops are not as present as I would have expected. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is excellent.

Drinkability: Very nice. A malty beer, just my style. I have heard a lot about New Belgium's flagship beer, so it is nice to finally try it.

05-07-2007 21:48:26 | More by beveritt
kds10011

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smell: Trace of apple, general fruitiness. Not strong-smelling.
Nose: Simple zestiness from hops and carbonation.
Taste: Zest, light malty syrupiness, clean, a bit sweet, substantial mouthfeel but not heavy.
Aftertaste: Sourdough hard pretzel, salty, residue in mouth prompts another sip. It warms me a bit.

A dependable standard of mine while living in Lacey, WA. Not extravagant, but it doesn't let you down when you want a decent beer. Around here, the price isn't bad: about $7.50 for a sixer. Wish it could be more available on the east coast.

11-18-2010 01:00:15 | More by kds10011
wcudwight

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Rust in color with a thin wispy moderate sized head. Head recedes kind of fast but leaves nice sticky lacing behind.
Smells like homemade biscuits with hints of pear. Oddly this combination works.
Caramel malts with kind of a doughy flavor. Hints of good ole southern sweet tea. A bit of pear in the finish.
Medium bodied with a dry finish.
Pretty average amber with great sessionability.

11-22-2008 03:13:08 | More by wcudwight
ghebel

Iowa

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours clear, amber/copper color with a 1 inch off-white head that leaves lacing on the way down to a thin ring.

S - Lightly toasted malt and fruity, with maybe a bit of spicy hop aroma in the background.

T - Biscuity and bready toasted malts, nicely balanced with fruitiness and a bit of spicy hop flavor in the end. Minor to moderate bitterness. Well balanced, leaning toward malt dominance.

M - Moderate to thin body with nice initial bite. Small amount of bitterness for the tongue and back of the mouth. Dry finish.

D - Very drinkable.

Overall - This is a good all-around beer that fills the needs of many. It can be enjoyed and maybe savored or can be consumed in mass quantities. I see it on tap almost as frequently as the "Big 3" anymore. Which is great.

03-21-2009 19:35:07 | More by ghebel
xhcadamx

Maine

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Light Amber with a foamy head. Decent Lacing.

S - lightly toasted malt, some earthy hops, bit of yeast

T - lightly toasted malt with some biscuit. Earthy hops balances it out. Not an expert but the "different" taste in here that separates it from other ambers is the yeast. Carmel after taste.

M - nice and smooth

D - I would love to have another!

A very tasty and easy to drink beer.

12-15-2008 02:39:36 | More by xhcadamx
neonbrown82

Nebraska

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

This was the beer that did it for me. This was the first non-macro I ever had the privelage of trying at the tender age of ~17. Even though it was the beer that sowed the seeds of my advocacy, I tended to pass it up in favor of shitty beer for several years to follow, except for on special occasions since I didn't know any better at the time (beer is beer before you are old enough to buy it yourself). Eventually the Fat Tire faded into near obscurity after eventually developing an infatuation for wheat beers such as Boulevard or Blue Moon. Recently though, my new roommate this semester noticed that I seem to almost never buy the same beer twice asked me if I had drank Fat Tire, which he drinks like friggin' juice when he has the opportunity to have it (since you can't get it here in Iowa). Now it seems that every time I go back home (just across the river from Nebraska) I have to pick up some of this just on principle, just so I can enjoy a good beverage with my otherwise macro loving roomies.

Alright, now that the reminiscing and all that sentimental bullshit is over with, let's talk about the beer. It pours to a pale amber with a thin film-like white head. Now that my beer horizons have extended this is not really all that impressive looking. It used to seem very unique when I first had something other than a fizzy yellow beer. The smell is VERY biscuity. Not really anything else worth noting in the smell since the biscuit malts are so powerful.

The taste is also dominated by biscuit malts, but there is also a hint of fruitiness in the background. I can't help but agree with my roommates that this tastes more like juice than beer, but it doesn't have enough depth of character for me. Nonetheless, it is a very intriguing beer for a brewery to have as a flagship. I will continue to drink this when it is available to me, but my main priority is to drink the other beers offered by New Belgium that I haven't already had, such as the Tripel, 1554, and seasonals. Hopefully we will get New Belgium in Iowa soon, as I heard we are supposed to have it soon (at least Fat Tire and other more easily accessable brews like Sunshine wheat).

03-02-2005 07:36:13 | More by neonbrown82
mbutter1997

Nebraska

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I did this review of Fat Tire, it had been so long since my previous bottle, I had nearly forgotten just how good this beer is. It pours a light amber w/ ~1/2" of frothy head, maintains decent glass stick throughout the session. Nice aroma of toasty, caramel malts & matching tastes. Very smooth beer that has a bit of richness but is not overly thick. A real easy drinking beer that goes down way too easy. This was the first New Belgium brew that made its way to Nebraska, and my life is better for it.

04-29-2007 19:48:12 | More by mbutter1997
OneDropSoup

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Nice medium amber-orange, clear, with bright gold highlights, tiny, fast nucleation bubbles, & two fingers of soft, cloud-like head that drops but stays thick & clings to the sides. Lookin' real nice, actually.

Smell at first is a biscuity toastedness, on the sweet side, & soon reveals some banana bread, a little cocoa, with a blunt sugary character like sweet potato or even bubble gum. Not bad, but kind of "dumbs down" after that first impression.

Taste follows pretty closely with the smell: biscuity caramel character & banana bread, but with a crisp hop bitterness that brightens it a bit & keeps it from just laying there. Evens out & ends with a combination of sweet & dry, with just a little booze character. A little more bakery sweetness shows up & becomes pretty pleasant.

Nice balanced mouthfeel, medium-bodied with a crispness as well as a slight chewiness.

Good brew overall, nicely drinkable & has a character all its own. I wouldn't complain if this were as ubiquitous in my parts as it seems to be in most of the country.

04-17-2012 15:21:36 | More by OneDropSoup
jaz58

Ontario (Canada)

Beautiful amber ale.

In the glass, the colour is a deep copper orange with a thick cream head.

Nose has hints of bread and brown sugar.

Toffee followed by a balance dry hop on the palete.

Round warm smooth mouthfeel.

Very pleasing, an ale to leisurely enjoy.

07-30-2013 23:00:15 | More by jaz58
jar2574

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass. Nice, off-white head. Light amber colored beer. Lacing is slightly above average as the beers is downed.

Smells of sweet fruit and maybe a touch of pine. Malts as well.

The taste is mellow and slightly sweet, as if there were a touch of honey in the beer. Very quaffable though. More malty than hoppy. Nice on a hot summer day. It could get a little sticky and sweet after a few rounds, for some.

I've had bunches of these lately because it's the best thing on tap at my local dive bar. This beer does not wow you, but it does what it sets out to accomplish -- provide quality at an affordable price. I think the taste is unique as well, which sets it apart from other beers geared toward mass consumption. Very good session beer.

08-18-2007 00:01:57 | More by jar2574
GarthDanielson

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass, this beer is a bright orange-amber color with a thick, foamy, dense white head. Coloring is a little pale in comparison to other Ambers. The beer has subtle hops aromas on the nose, blended with nut and earth. The taste is very rounded, with hints of chocolate, nut, and light hops on a roasted malt foundation. Very bold and smooth in mouth, with a pleasant aftertaste of light hops and a hint of sour. Smooth, clean finish. Very easy to drink.

01-10-2011 23:50:12 | More by GarthDanielson
Kyle987

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Dull orangish-tan body, with an average head that stuck around the edges until the end. Decent lacing.

Smell was very fresh, and, as another reviewer said, subtle. A little bit of hops, a little bit of malt.

Taste was very pleasant, but not remarkable in any particular way; a good balance of malt and hops.

I really enjoyed the mouthfeel; a solid fullness, but not heavy, and when you swallow it down it leaves you strangely both satisfied and wanting more.

Nothing here is really incredible, but everything comes together to make a very good, extremely drinkable beer.

06-27-2008 01:25:44 | More by Kyle987
klmcmachen

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

I really like amber ales, and this is no exception. New Belgium did this one right. This beer pours really nicely in a glass with a lite head. It is a very aromatic beer with scents of flowers and fruit. It tastes like an amber ale that has been rolled in a meadow. This is a perfect beer for spring, summer, or fall. Two thumbs up!!!

07-25-2012 14:07:29 | More by klmcmachen
carsonplunkett

Tennessee

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

First off let me say that this is my first beer review on this site.

A: Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Pours a bright amber color with about an inch or so of off-white brownish head. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: I love the smell of Fat Tire. Smells of toasted hops, biscuits and light hints of chocolate.

T: Several people told me that this beer was overrated; I can't say that I agree. Tastes of toasted hops and biscuits. A bit malty, and has a very faint alcohol bite in the finish.

M: Not too heavy and not too light.

D: Pretty drinkable, but because of the price I can't say I'd recommend it as a session beer.

06-16-2009 05:22:04 | More by carsonplunkett
Theheroguy

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Ahh the ubiquitous fat tire, probably the flagship of New Belgium (although curiously it isn't a Belgian brew).

This cult classic is amber with a respectably thick white head. Not bad but nothing special either.

This beer smells like citrus fruit slightly sour

The taste in one of maltiness and slight sourness.

Overall this a good beer that I would recommend

10-20-2012 19:11:55 | More by Theheroguy
ommegangpbr

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Quite a bit more enjoyable than I was anticipating as I tend not to dig amber/red ales. Not quite as amber or red as it could or should be.
Smells like... peanut butter! or a peanut butter fudge candy or some such animal. Mouthfeel is a bit abrasive or chalky. I think Skinny Dip is basically this, but with more water. A little bit fruity. Simple.

06-04-2006 03:51:17 | More by ommegangpbr
nukem5

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Great copper color with a nice tan cap.

S: Sweet roasty malts with slightly fruity hops.

T: Malts and a warming alchoholic taste.

M: Light bodied and smooth, head is always there with a swirl 0f the glass.

D: Very drinkable and wished so very hard they would sell it .

03-12-2011 05:10:13 | More by nukem5
ClockworkOrange

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle (BB: Jan. 19th 2009) into my shaker glass. Appears a super clear amber color with barely a finger of off-white foam. Smells grassy with a touch of caramel malt. Tastes of biscuity, bready grains, lightly toasted sweet malts, a little nutty with a touch of hoppy bitterness. Pretty tasty. Medium in both body and carbonation. To me, this beer is rather drinkable. A very good "bowling alley beer". After hearing the good and the bad about this beer for many years, I'm glad I finally got around to trying it. I went in not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.

11-14-2008 03:57:28 | More by ClockworkOrange
Patrick999

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

I remember having this in Colorado several years back, and I can't get it in Florida, so upon figuring out that I could actually mail order beer, I ordered some stuff. Among that stuff was a couple bottles of Fat Tire.

Appearance - Pale amber, formative head, not much lacing.

Smell is pretty distinct for a lower alcohol amber ale. A spicy citric aroma, kind of like an orange spice tea.

Taste....oh yeah, I remember this. I was sitting at a bar in Boulder and had this with a cheeseburger, and thought it a distinctive taste. Kind of *tastes* like the air inside of a fat bike tire, if that makes any sense....and I actually don't mean that as a negative. Kind of a pleasurable chocolate and rubber mustiness, yes, it's all coming back to me. Rather unconventional...weird....but it works. Moderately alcoholic in the finish...I can actually taste some alcohol, which I also find odd for a 5.6% brew. Pairs well with grilled foods, salads, pretty much anything.

Mouthfeel is just right for this style.

Well, this is an oddball beer. This isn't going to be everyone's bag, but among its adherents (and I suppose I can count myself as one), this is very drinkable, and a nice session beer.

04-21-2007 01:50:02 | More by Patrick999
chilidog

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

More than enough said on this brew. My two cents for I don't get to this brew very often, I didn't think I reviewed it so with that in mind I had two with friends at a hotel lobby bar.

Pours a nice dark amber red. Nice off white head. Good carbonation, nice body, fair lace.

Good toasted bread, biscuit malts, small hop balance.

Smooth easy drinking mouthfeel, slight yeasty dryness.

Overall a good go-to craft beer.

08-07-2011 15:04:13 | More by chilidog
chiccabeer

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Had this beer on tap. Poured with a good amount a head. It has a nice amber clear look to it. It has a great taste with a lot of flavor. It is a great American ale with a lot of different layers. It has a bit of sweetness and nut flavor to it. It is a great beer to have with dinner. Cheers.

03-20-2011 19:41:04 | More by chiccabeer
sevineyes

Arkansas

Poured from a growler.

A: Orange cast with off-white head and lacing.

S: Rich and almost pungent. Very sweet and biscuit-like.

T: Nutty, bready sweetness. There's a nice hop presence in the mid-tones that gives a slight grassy taste to break up the big malt presence. Very subtle fruit presence near the end - some bananna, and even a yeastiness. Very distinct flavor that's hard to confuse, but easy to remember.

M: Moderate carbonation. Dry feel in the finish and satisfying until then.

D: Very drinkable.

Overall: Really a beer that has a taste to stay in your memory. A very nice amber that merits visiting time and again.

Serving type: growler

12-14-2005 02:01:55 | More by sevineyes
drizzam

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Poured from the brown bottle into a clear pint glass. The brew is a clear orange/light amber color. An aggressive pour yielded a fluffy two finger white head with excellent retention. Nice sticky lacing was left down the inside of the glass.

S - A sour citrus smell emanated from the brew...pineapple maybe? Biscuity malts and subdued floral hops seem to appear as well. Fairly aromatic right after the pour.

T & M - A nice balance of biscuity malt and hops. The hops are just enough to make this a multi-dimensional brew, not enough to be bitter. Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

D - A nicely balanced brew. Low enough in hop bitterness where it can be enjoyed by most, yet enough to be flavorful. At 5.2% ABV, you could easily session this brew. I could see stocking this in my fridge.

01-20-2010 00:15:55 | More by drizzam
ExaltedNecrosis

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Mostly clear orange amber with a finger of off white head.

S - Sweet caramel malts, biscuit, nutty and bready

T - Has a good sweet caramel taste up front, with some roasted nuts, biscuit and bread. A slight earthy hop bitterness counterbalances the sweet caramel maltiness.

M - Thin-to-moderate body with moderate carbonation. Has a sweet and nutty aftertaste. Very drinkable; I could have quite a few of these.

O - A solid beer from New Belgium that I could drink anywhere, any time. The sweet caramel and roasty nuttiness mesh well together and make this a great session beer.

10-29-2012 00:21:03 | More by ExaltedNecrosis
Billolick

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

12 ouncer, with best before dating printed on the label.

Pour: Lighter, glowing orange hued amber, clear. Nice puffy, retentive light tan head, leaving all kids of thick stick on the glass.

Sniff: Mallty, toasty

Taste: Pale malts, balancing hops. Nice session type ale. Easily enjoyed and appreciated.

Drink More? Why not, nothing special, just a nicely crafted, easy drinking ale. Good newbie beginer beer or an all session enjoyable creation.

02-19-2009 14:35:08 | More by Billolick