Follow our progress ...

Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
3.6

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Reviews: 1,965 | Ratings: 8,262
3.16/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is just a hair better than Amberbock from Michelob.

Seriously. New Belgian brewing Company? You all need to change your name. Belgium is where the BEST of the best beers come from.

The appearance is just like Amberbock, light caramel color, plenty of fermentation.

The smell. what smell? standard beer. just like any BMC I guess. I don't know, I didnt find it worth here to linger much.

Taste - See Amberbock. Watered down Ale. slight caramel flavor, some vague bitterness to balanced.

Mouthfeel - Beer. BMC. whatever.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Fat Tire is a nice approachable Amber Ale. Low in alcohol content, I like to give this beer to my friends who don't like hops. Nice golden brown in color, but very smooth and easy to drink.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

A - An almost translucent red. Poured a fair sized pale head, which left some lacing. Simply stated: average.

S - Not much going in this department. I am getting some malts, a bit of nuts and some caramel.

T - A light malty brew that far surpasses the average beer that is widely available. The biscuity malts dominate the flavors while being followed by some sweet crisp notes.

M - Light-Medium bodied with a bit high carbonation for my liking in a red. The brew has an elementary amount of complexity in its progression, but nothing more. Not much horrific here, but nothing really going great.

O - Overall this is just about what I expected, an average beer. There are qualities that make this beyond the normal macro-brewed product, but due to my rather refined palette, I cannot help but notice the many imperfections in this brew.

01.11.10 at Fid's.

A: a nice, clear copper

S: sweet and nutty, like pecans

T: not feeling it right now, because of the high carbonation. Can't tell what it tastes like, but it definitely smells better than it tastes

M: too fizzy

D: it's okay; would prefer to have something else

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a super clear light orange color with a 2 inch off-white head. Smells of biscuit like malts and citrus zest hops. Taste is of water logged biscuits with a muted citrus zest finish. I don't know why this tastes very watery. There is no bitterness on the palate after each sip but there is a slight citrus twang. Mouthfeel is slightly flat which makes for a medium bodied drink. Overall, this is an average amber ale. Fat Tire is probably the most popular New Belgium beer and I wonder if they changed the recipe to suit more mass palates. From what I remember this was way better overall in the past.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

New Belgium Fat Tire Ale: I was at a charity event and my choices were Fat Tire, Corona, Coors Light and Bud.  It did make me realize the Fat Tire is served everywhere, and therefore is no craft brew.  Well, congratulations to New Belgium!  You have made it big.  I think the clever name is a key part of the success of this beer, now let's try the goods!  The body is a deep amber with a good off white head and big malty aroma.  It looks like a craft brew for sure.  The flavor is mostly malt up front, and carries a lot of spice - I get nutmeg and cinnamon, throughout.  Here comes the "flavorings" debate.  OK, I do add lemon to my wheat beers, a big no-no for most of you.  But here I am on the other side of the fence, the spicy flavors are not my cup of tea.  To finish, the ubiquitous Fat Tire is a good beer, and probably begins the craft brew journey for many...

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Fat Tire was served from a 12 oz bottle. In a pint glass, the beer was a very attractive shiny and metallic clear amber, and was topped by an ample and resiliant off-white head that left thick and sticky lacing. The nose presented sweet bready malts and a robust, textured grassy-herbal hop bouquet. The taste matched the nose closely, opening up with bready grassy sweet malts with a touch of herbal spice in the transition to a nice orange-tinged crisper and lightly bittered finish...obvious Belgain pale elements.. The body was overly light and fluffy. Fat Tire is an interesting take on the amber style, with nice flavors, but it ends up being overly sweet for my tastes.

GLASS: Chimay Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Clear medium tone amber color. Nice 1 1/2 finger head that dissipates quite quickly. Minimal retention, but some decent lacing.

Mild malty notes. Little bit of bready yeastiness. Sweet-tarts. Slight fruity sweetness.

Pretty light in the flavor department. Toasty malts with light caramel sweetness. Citrus fruits. Very mild hop notes. No aftertaste whatsoever.

Light to medium mouthfeel. (Not as thick as I'd like.)

I totally see why this is so popular among the masses. There is nothing in this bottle to offend the pallete. Unfortunately, there is nothing to excite it either.
Would I ever refuse a bottle of this? No.
Would I go out of my way to get it? Not at all.
[Probably my least liked product from New Belgium.]

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

this is another beer that i used to like, but totally ruined by trying a lot of other beers.

-amber obviously, but not much context. you can tell that it is made in huge batches. pretty good lacing though

-smells like tortilla chips...which isnt necessarily bad

-a decent, characteristic nutty taste

-its fine

-ok. again, i ruined this beer for myself which is okay by me

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

This one was brought to my tasting last night. The beer poured a golden color with a thin cover of head over the beer. The nose on this was not good. We came up with old socks in grandma's attic as the description. It was just not good smelling beer. The flavor was full of biscuit malt, with a bready taste. The body was fairly thin and drinkabilit was just average. I could have one, but probably not more than that.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

a - amber color, pretty clear, big white head with little retention and good lacing

s - not a strong aroma, a little bready maltiness

t - pretty smooth tasting, quite malty, not much bitterness evident, actually tastes a lot like a macro to me, fairly uninteresting

m - ample carbonation, light-bodied

d - would be a good session beer, but the taste just doesn't interest me enough to keep on drinking it

I was a little disappointed with this one. Tasted a lot like a macro lager such as Budweiser to me. Could use a bit more hoppiness to take it up a level as the taste was pretty one-dimensional and that one dimension was not anything special. If price was equal, I would choose this over a macro, but otherwise, I'll probably pass.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

This was my first exposure to locally distributed beers. Seems a bit lighter than most ambers, a fair amount of yeast is present. Very bready. Fairly bright tasting with a distinct flavor and relatively nominal smell. but theres much more to beer out here, as big a deal as it is. Still shining bright in the declining red beer market though. Easy drinking and easy to find.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

A - a dark amber color, with about a 1 inch head, that left quite a bit of lacing till the last drink.

S - nothing special slight caramel.

T - taste is balanced, with some notes of sweet honey.

M - mouthfeel was fairly light.

D - a drinkable beer other than being a little pricey on tap.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a clear golden amber, topped with a one finger off-white head, left webs of lacing.
A bit spicy nose, toast and biscuit.
Toasty, a bit of a spicy floral note, bread, with caramel.
Light bodied.
This was one of the beers I was looking forward to on my trip to Denver, I had heard a lot about it, but sadly it was just a little better than average to me.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured it from a bomber - crystal clear light amber / caramel, with a thin eggshell colored head that doesn't really stick around. Aroma has touches of burnt caramel, grainy, its very bready; overall, kind of like nutella-light (if there is such a thing) on toast. Taste is of bread, malt sweetness, with hints of nuttiness; there's a light hop finish. Mouthfeel is light-bodied and a little thin. Its pretty drinkable, as in it could be consumed like water - although, personally I'd go for something else. Not as much character as I was hoping for -

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Thanks to Swellbow for hooking me up with this beer of the west!

A- Body is a crystal clear medium amber hue. Pours with an approximately 2 finger white head. Head eventually fades to a thick collar and traces of lacing are left all the way down the glass.

S- Faint sweet caramel malt comes to the nose first followed by an impression of herbal/grassy hops.

T- The flavor upfront is very mild and offers herbal and grassy hop flavors along with a faint sweet malt backbone. The finish is even more faint than the beginning and doesn't really taste like anything but water. After the finish a mild impression of grassy hop bitterness emerges.

M- Medium tingly carbonation and a body that is a bit thin and watery.

D- My overall impression of this beer is that its pretty boring. Nothing offensive-but nothing exciting. I can see why it is so popular with being a good transition beer from BMC to craft beers. Easy to drink and nothing offensive about it.

3.12/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a nice copper amber with a creamy off-white, long lasting head. Only a little lacing left on the pint glass. Aroma is of tosted malts and biscuity heaviness. A grassy hoppines is also noted. Flavor is somewhat the same: biscuits and toasted malts. Hoppy bitterness is kept to a minimum, but still can be detected in the background. Aftertaste is heavy, and lingers for a while. Mouthfeel is oily and slick, but clean and the carbonation leaves a nice bite on my tongue. Overall, this brew would be great with a spicy gumbo or stew, but I would rather have a big DIPA for an accompaniment instead.

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

Expiration date is in 2 weeks, may have been a bad bottle.
A light amber beer with a foamy head.
A strange aroma dominates this beer, (seafood,steak?) The expiration date is in two weeks so maybe this beer has passed its prime. A pleasant malt character,slight cherry aroma as well as a subtle citrus twang fill in the rest of the beer.
Taste seems a little off but I have never had this beer so I dont know how it should have been. Citrus character as well as a nice malt body make up this beer. Not that much going on.
A good mouthfeel that does exactly as it should and is quite pleasant.
If it were not for the bogus smell and slightly off taste this would be a very pleasant beer.

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

A light orange amber body shows a bit of bubbley carbonation. Head is a thick foamy tan that holds its form well.

Nose brings a raw malty feel to the nose, along with that is a fresh field note of wheat. You deffinetly notice a herbal backround also.

Enters the mouth with a distinct nutty, herbal feel. Maybe a hint of hazel nut. A very raw fresh feel overall to this beer but it is smooth and mellow, wery easy to drink.

It finishes soft and fuzzy on the mouth.

A very nice american belgium amber. A very clean refreshing amber. Early fall is a good time for this one to be tasted. Nothing really fat about it though.

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

A very simple beer. Pours a light hazel with little head. The smell is mostly malt with almost no hop smell to it. The taste is very mellow and is refreshing but nothing on the palate wowed me by any standard and the mouthfeel was nice. Overall a forgettable beer unless it's a standard for you.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From the bottle it has a nice, sweet fragrance that implies the taste will be the same. This one has a "thick" and filling volume that would be a good pair with a grilled or roasted game meat. I think this brew should be served very cold due to a strong after-taste that would otherwise overpower the culinary experience.
As far as drinking it for the sake of drinking plan to down two or three before the taste becomes palatable.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

The waitress told me it was a Belgian Ale, and although it had a hint of Belgian characteristics, I found it to be wanting in fullness of body and taste.
I see that it is classified as an American Amber Ale and agree that is a more fitting description.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a fresh bottle into a pint glass and consumed after dinner.

A: Pours a nice clear light copper/amber with ample bubbling. One finger frothy off-white head with decent retention leaves behind a thin lacing.

S: Sweet, toasted caramel malts with fruity hops (pear, cherry). A slight hint of alcohol and a strange finish...grape? A little chlorine odor towards the end.

T: Fresh malt hits the palate and quickly turns into a nice, toasty caramel, present throughout. Tart fruits come next, similar to smell, but with hints of yeast and tobacco. Complex, but finishes a bit skunky. I like my ambers buttery, and this does not fit the bill.\

M: Very watery, could benefit from more body and carbonation. Not at all resinous.

O: Very disappointing. Smells off, tastes mediocre, and the MF is appalling. I will not be buying this again.

Pint glass.

Had the beer a hundred times, but decided that I might as well review it. Here goes:

A: As amber as its style suggests. Perfect body, with a fluffy, egg-white head that steadily dissipates. Lacing is full-bodied and thorough. Well done.

S: Wet grass, metallic, malty hints. Bread. Nothing spectacular, and I may be imagining things.

T: Soddy and light grass. Some hop crispness, cider essence in the middle, and very light roasted malts on the backend.

M: Fits the style. I like a little more body though overall.

O: It’s a great session amber, evident in its early cult status (now that it can easily be had anywhere, it’s lost much of this). I’ll never turn one down.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium amber with little head and decent lacing. Not much aroma at all. Can smell a little bread but that is about it. Taste is malt forward with a hop finish. This is definitely a well balanced beer that many can enjoy. Not too malty and not too hoppy. Not my favorite style of beer but definitely something I will drink with little complaint. An above average amber ale.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing