Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,865 | Hads: 7,675

A bright amber ale with a little head that evaporates quickly. Has a light malty kind of biscuit aroma. A quick short twinge of bitterness to wake up the taste buds. But it is a wasted effort. There is only a slight hint of malt in the finish and it's done. I was expecting a little more flavor. It has a decent drinkability as there is not all lot of flavor to slow you down. (376 characters)

This beer hasn’t always been available here in the Midwest. I used to have my friends from out of town bring it in. But a few years ago, Fat Tire came to Indiana and we have been hooked since. It’s sort of like Yuengling. You still can’t get that here. Anyway, Fat Tire is an amber ale, and while I don’t usually like amber ales… this one has a certain spice that I can’t get enough of. Anyway, let’s see what this beer does for 1001 Bottles.

In the Glass: There isn’t much going on here. It’s sort of like any domestic beer you pour. The head is thin and weak, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But you don’t drink a beer like this for the quality, rather the drinkability that you can expect out of a beer that’s not quite a domestic (even though it’s made in the United States) but not quite a craft brew.

Nose: There isn’t much going on here. I do smell a hint of spice in there. Maybe some cinnamon.

Flavor: We are drinking this VERY cold, which makes sense for a beer like this. There isn’t a ton of flavor either. It has a punch of spice in the middle of the palate, but then it quickly fades away. There isn’t as much carbonation as you would expect from a beer like this, but drink it cold. It doesn’t do it any justice when it heats up.

Mouthfeel: It’s thin and smooth as it crosses your tongue. There are some subtle bubbles toward the back half of the palate, but they are there and gone before you know it. Those spices do, as you drink more, tend to pile on top of one another and stick around the more of this you drink.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste, at first, is weak and pretty much worthless. But after two, three, and more drinks the aftertaste starts to stick around and gain momentum. The beer also has a pretty good burp, leaving you with those same spices. The beer doesn’t have a big ABV, so there isn’t much, if any heat. But it’s not a beer that you save. It’s a beer that you drink three or four of with dinner or with buddies watching football. For the record… we don’t watch football.

Fat Tire is a good beer, but not great. It’s average, at best. It sells well because it’s new here. Plus, it has a cool story. I like the label too. If you haven’t had Fat Tire before, try it. You might dig it. But it’s not what I would call a craft brew. It’s also not a beer I would expect to find on a list like this. Of course, 1001 bottles is a LOT of beer. They can’t all be gems!

Beer Name - The bottle says: “Fat Tire Amber Ale’s appeal is in its feat of balance: toasty, biscuity-like malt flavors coating in equilibrium with hoppy freshness. Named in honor of a storied bike ride through Europe, Fat Fire cruises with Belgian imagination and inspiration. Take it for a ride.” (2,770 characters)

Welp...since I reviewed Fat Tire's big brother Ranger, why not give this one a spin? You know the old saying, you've made it big when you're on a neon sign behind the glass of your local wine and spirits place at the grocery store...

A: Nice, average fiery amber coloring with acceptable lacing on the glass.

S: Decently average smell of bready malts with some hints of caramel.

T: Well...um...it's average. It's a malt bomb with an adequate amount of roasted, bready, biscuity flavor. Not detecting much hops on the tongue.

M: Very average in its feel, with an average amount of carbonation and heft on the tongue.

O: This could very well the most average beer I've ever drank. Nothing terrible about it, and nothing great, either (except for the value that is...) It's a monument to pure adequacy, therefore, 3's across the board for this one!

PS: this would make absolutely fabulous beer bread. (903 characters)

Clear amber appearance, typical of the style. Head of off-white foam, less than a finger-thick and quick-shrinking. Carbonation quickly shrinks to zero after the pour.

Odd collection of hops, vegetable, and malt in the aroma. Odd, but not unpleasant.

The malt comes through exclusively in the first taste, with a short backbite of hops in the finish. That vegetable/carrot aroma rears its head again in the aftertaste as well. Finishes pretty clean.

I have respect for New Belgium for being part of the vanguard of microbreweries in the late 80s/early 90s that set the stage for the public to demand more from their beer than Bud or Bud Light. But with the appearance of so many other breweries and their experimentation, New Belgium has been left behind. This, their flagship beer, is a solid, acceptable, drinkable brew, but nothing more. Average marks from me across the board. (890 characters)

Clear medium gold color with fluffy head. Doughy aroma with some yeast and a bit of hops. Flavor is nutty and grainy malt with a lack of hops in my opinion. Mouthfeel is medium and crisp. Overall average. A beer that wouldn't offend the average beer drinker. (258 characters)

Copper-orange pour with a frothy 2 finger white head. Musty, nutty, bready malt aroma with hints of nutmeg, ripe fruit, and slight pine. Dominating biscuit malt flavor, toasty, little bit of pepper and spice. Very subtle dry pine finish with a grainy an musty quality. (268 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Clear amber color, thick white head, good lacing

S: Almost nothing, slight maltyness

T: Malty sweetness, caramel notes, brown sugar

M: Light to medium, good carbonation

O: Decent beer, light enough to be session-able but still has a decent amount of taste to it. (275 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -17.4%

A- Pours a copper color with a nice white head that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Pretty weak here I could only pick up bready malts and maybe a tiny bit of fruit.

T- Overall pretty sweet. Caramel malts, bready and a touch of hops. Balanced well but not a whole lot going on.

M- Light to medium in body easy on the carbonation.

D- Easy to drink just not a whole lot going on here. (383 characters)

Best buy 28 august 2009

1 pint 6 oz bottle

Poured an amber color with a thick white head that was not well retained, except for a thin blotchy cap. Light carbonation could be seen rising to the top.

Aroma was light and grainy with a bready malt backbone. No hops to mention. Not much to it really.

The taste pretty well followed the nose, light, grainy/bready. Pretty simple and too light.

The beer felt light in body but was smooth. Drinkability was above average mainly because of the light flavor and nothing too strong that would be off-putting. Overall, not bad, but I will probably reach for others first, but I would be willing to give it a shot on tap. (665 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

APP - poured from a 12oz bottle. Has a nice amber color with a soft but sizable head. Settling into some nice lace on the glass.

SM - For me I can't pick up much in the way of smells. It's my first ever glass of this beer, so maybe I should try again another time.

TASTE - Malts ring through. Perhaps toasted malts? There is also the hint of hops, I assume in hopes of balancing the taste. It doesn't do it for me though. It looks good. All dressed up- but I can't quite belly up to the flavor.

MF - There is a soft clean feel on the tongue.

NOTES: My local beer whisperer led me to try this beer. He says it is wildly popular. That may be. But it will be an occasional brew for me. Something to balance another stronger type. (734 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Certainly not a bad brew, just not worthy of the hype. If this was one of my personal homebrews, I'd probably say it was an ole-reliable recipe just waiting for that magical tuning combination that would place it over the top.

On a positive note, this beer does seem to know who it is and is trying to not pose. So Toyota Camry's are lifeless, boring, have no personality, and are nothing more than disposable utensils in life --they represent their owners accurately. For those of us with heart beats, there are legitimate and unique craft brews. (549 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

This well-crafted beer pours a beautiful medium amber with hints of brick red and a nice off-white head that laces well down the glass. A moderately malty aroma follows with notes of honey and nuts. This is a supremely easy-drinking amber with a good balance between malt and hops, and a pleasant smokey character. The taste is marked by flavors of nuts, wood, and a delicate splash of citrus, with a clean, crisp finish. (421 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

A decent brew, but certainly not one of my favorites.

A slight amount of hops, a fruit after-taste, and the beer was neither oversweet nor overly bitter. Mellow, good tasting, and pretty drinkable.

If there was one aspect I really didn't care for, it was the mouthfeel. Just felt weird, almost slimy...if that makes any sense. I don't know if the carbonation was off, or what, but this was not a pleasant beer to "chew on". (430 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

The golden orange color and large, frothy, eggshell white head is very enticing. Aroma is very bready and sweet.

The taste is a bit disappointing. Malts and hops are there, but nothing really stands out, the volume seems to have been turned down on all of the flavors.

This is a very drinkable, yet ultimately unsatisfying beer. I had heard many a good thing about Fat Tire and I really wanted to enjoy the 22oz in front of me, but the subdued taste and weak body kept me from liking it as much as I had hoped. (512 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18%

22 oz bomber bottle
Picked this up the frist day it was available in the Twin Cities. (June 2007)
Pours very clear, light red with lots of head. Mild carbonation.
soft creamy mouthfeel. Not offensive in any way (besides the price)
Faint bready aroma.
Light in hops, finishes clean. Easily drinkable
I had a 5 pack of this a couple years ago and remember thinking it was a great beer. Now I think it's just a "safe" beer. Nothing to make it stand out. Way over priced at $4 a bottle.
Don't believe the hype.
-edit-
georgekingfish is right, its better from the bottle (sweeter) (584 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice, pleasant beer. My bottle produced a full, but short-lived head. Rich, deep-copper color. You have to hunt for an aroma, but the beer produces an enjoyable, mildly malty finish. No characteristics stand out as particularly notable. Still, it’s a worthy tavern-food companion. (288 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

With all the hoopla, anticipation was high. Right off the bat, I was thoroughly disappointed with the macro-brew aroma. Pours clear bronze with thin tan head. Sticks to the glass well, so maybe it has some merit. Taste and feel was very similar to the macro brews which may explain the crowd of people it has drawn. On the plus side, it's highly drinkable, but I'd probably order a bud light for cheaper if that's what it came down to. (435 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a red/gold amber with a short-lived white head. Aroma is subdued - a bit of malt and slight hoppy acidity. This beer tastes extremely smooth and easy - nothing about it is on the fringe, just smooth simple maltiness with little hop flavor - light and somewhat bready. Slight carbonation, but smoothness helps thicken up the mouthfeel. The aftertaste, like everything else, is slight and short-lived, but not a turnoff. This beer is extremely easy to drink, but I found it to be too simple - just didn't have enough oomph in any way to keep my interest. Well done - but not my style. (588 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Picked up a 6 pack on my way home from work, because sadly this was the best available beer at my local gas station. Best before 7/17/11 date on the bottle.

A: Light brownish/amber/see through

S: Smells bready and malty.

T: Very light and crisp. Not very good for an Amber ale.

M: Thin, light, very easy to drink.

O: I've had Fat Tire many, many times before, so I figured it's time for a review. Sorry it's so short, but I don't think too highly of Fat Tire as I used to. I'll probably still drink this one again. (519 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Not much carbonation and kind of flat. Nice hint of berry smell, small note of honey. Beautiful amber/gold color. The taste is kind of watery with a nice fizzy aftertaste. The mouthful is light. Overall it's decent. (215 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Still orangey amber color. White head fades to an eighth inch. Average lacing, just above the head.

S - Very faint smell, some caramely malts with very faint hops.

T/M - Starts out somewhat viscose and a sharp carbonation hit, then an almost chocolatey roasted malt. Hops taste green and bitter but not very prevalent, it seems the roasted malt flavor is balanced by the carbonation. Finish leaves a toasted cereal malty flavor.

D - I like ambers a lot and this is not a terrible beer, but I wouldn't go back to it if I wanted an amber, as there are much better ambers available to me.

The beer store I work at just got in three New Belgium beers (Fat Tire, 1554 and Mothership Wit).

1554 was crap, this one was just okay and I liked Mothership the best. (775 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a pretty small, one finger head. The head is completely white and has some small and some big bubbles. Barely any lacing throughout the beer, and the head has already completely dissipated. The body is a light amber/orange color, it looks exactly like apple juice looks, for sure lighter in color than a traditional amber ale. Visibility is better than it should be, there really isn't much obstructing my view at all. The carbonation is extremely small, like, ridiculously small, there aren't more than two or three bubbles coming up at one time. Overall the appearance is ok, it's only redeeming factor is...it looks like beer. Small amount of hops on the smell, barely any at all, mostly pale malts here. I knew this wasn't a great amber ale, but this is kinda embarrassing on the smell. I really don't get much in the way of hops at all, and it just smells watery. I mean not much else to talk about, small amount of hops, mostly malt, watery. Overall average smell. The taste is no different, bad malts on the taste and a very very small hop note, somewhat watery as well. I suppose the taste is a little better than I thought it would be, but not by much. I mean the smell was really bad (considering it's a micro brew), and the flavor is only kinda bad. I mean I can at least taste the hops without trying too hard searching for them, where as in the smell it was reaaal difficult. This beer is closer to a 3.5 on the taste, but really not nearly close enough to get a 3.5, still a pretty solid 3. Pretty average taste overall, watery, malty, slightly hoppy, but not much. Mouthfeel is pretty terrible, I gave this beer a little hope with the carbonation, thinking maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but no, almost no carbonation in this beer. It feels like I'm drinking beer flavored water, so little carbonation it's not even funny. I know it's not good to overdo it on the carbonation, but they under did it, BIG time. The body isn't saving the mouthfeel either, it's thin, watery and not much too it. Overall on the mouthfeel...wow, not good. Drinkability is this beers only redeeming factor, it goes down easy and there isn't anything too offensive about it. Overall on this beer, it's a lot worse than I remember it, a lot less flavor and the mouthfeel is a lot worse than I remember. It's not a horrible beer, it's not hard to drink and it doesn't taste horrible, it's just really not a well crafted beer. Too watery, not much carbonation, not enough hops, and too much malts. (2,494 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -18.8%

Interestingly enough this is one of the first beers that got me started venturing into craft beer. At first, it thought it was a really great beer. Having drank hundreds of craft beers since then and drinking it now, it's an average beer. You can taste the caramel malt in this beer and smell it as well. Very drinkable, but I look for more of a "wow" factor. (359 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

22fl. Oz. Bottle

Appearance - A light amber color. High visual carbonation. Small head but it sticks around for the ride. Alright lacing.

Smell - A sweet bready malt type scent. Feels kinda empty.

Taste - Like some sort of sweet malt jam spread over a fresh slice of bread. I think this definitely needs to be served at the specified temperature (45°F / 7°C). I did my best to get the proper temperature but I still felt it was too cold. Beer stores make the fridges too cold. Anyways, as the beer warmed a wonderful flavor began in unfold.

Feel - Slightly syrupy and highly carbonated. Not Much more to say.

Overall - The flavor still felt lacking even after achieving proper temperature. Presentation was nothing special and nor was the scent. The Taste holds up the most and even that i felt was a little..uh, boring. I'm not saying this was a horrible beer, I just feel I got nothing from drinking it. (912 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a dark amber. Looks more viscous from an amber ale than I'd expect which I do like. Smells of the sweet, caramel malt and the taste maches. I'd say this one veers just too far off the sweet deep end for me. Medium bodied with some syrupy creaminess to it. I think this beer is a perfectly solid amber and it deserves its widespread popularity but, for me, I am not a huge fan of it as I find it to be just a little too sweet for my tastes. Once a year I can have a bottle of this and it will hit the spot, but once that bottle goes down I need about a years off from it before I can enjoy another. (603 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing