Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,855 | Hads: 7,615

Best buy 28 august 2009

1 pint 6 oz bottle

Poured an amber color with a thick white head that was not well retained, except for a thin blotchy cap. Light carbonation could be seen rising to the top.

Aroma was light and grainy with a bready malt backbone. No hops to mention. Not much to it really.

The taste pretty well followed the nose, light, grainy/bready. Pretty simple and too light.

The beer felt light in body but was smooth. Drinkability was above average mainly because of the light flavor and nothing too strong that would be off-putting. Overall, not bad, but I will probably reach for others first, but I would be willing to give it a shot on tap. (665 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

APP - poured from a 12oz bottle. Has a nice amber color with a soft but sizable head. Settling into some nice lace on the glass.

SM - For me I can't pick up much in the way of smells. It's my first ever glass of this beer, so maybe I should try again another time.

TASTE - Malts ring through. Perhaps toasted malts? There is also the hint of hops, I assume in hopes of balancing the taste. It doesn't do it for me though. It looks good. All dressed up- but I can't quite belly up to the flavor.

MF - There is a soft clean feel on the tongue.

NOTES: My local beer whisperer led me to try this beer. He says it is wildly popular. That may be. But it will be an occasional brew for me. Something to balance another stronger type. (734 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Certainly not a bad brew, just not worthy of the hype. If this was one of my personal homebrews, I'd probably say it was an ole-reliable recipe just waiting for that magical tuning combination that would place it over the top.

On a positive note, this beer does seem to know who it is and is trying to not pose. So Toyota Camry's are lifeless, boring, have no personality, and are nothing more than disposable utensils in life --they represent their owners accurately. For those of us with heart beats, there are legitimate and unique craft brews. (549 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

This well-crafted beer pours a beautiful medium amber with hints of brick red and a nice off-white head that laces well down the glass. A moderately malty aroma follows with notes of honey and nuts. This is a supremely easy-drinking amber with a good balance between malt and hops, and a pleasant smokey character. The taste is marked by flavors of nuts, wood, and a delicate splash of citrus, with a clean, crisp finish. (421 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

A decent brew, but certainly not one of my favorites.

A slight amount of hops, a fruit after-taste, and the beer was neither oversweet nor overly bitter. Mellow, good tasting, and pretty drinkable.

If there was one aspect I really didn't care for, it was the mouthfeel. Just felt weird, almost slimy...if that makes any sense. I don't know if the carbonation was off, or what, but this was not a pleasant beer to "chew on". (430 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

The golden orange color and large, frothy, eggshell white head is very enticing. Aroma is very bready and sweet.

The taste is a bit disappointing. Malts and hops are there, but nothing really stands out, the volume seems to have been turned down on all of the flavors.

This is a very drinkable, yet ultimately unsatisfying beer. I had heard many a good thing about Fat Tire and I really wanted to enjoy the 22oz in front of me, but the subdued taste and weak body kept me from liking it as much as I had hoped. (512 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18%

22 oz bomber bottle
Picked this up the frist day it was available in the Twin Cities. (June 2007)
Pours very clear, light red with lots of head. Mild carbonation.
soft creamy mouthfeel. Not offensive in any way (besides the price)
Faint bready aroma.
Light in hops, finishes clean. Easily drinkable
I had a 5 pack of this a couple years ago and remember thinking it was a great beer. Now I think it's just a "safe" beer. Nothing to make it stand out. Way over priced at $4 a bottle.
Don't believe the hype.
-edit-
georgekingfish is right, its better from the bottle (sweeter) (584 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice, pleasant beer. My bottle produced a full, but short-lived head. Rich, deep-copper color. You have to hunt for an aroma, but the beer produces an enjoyable, mildly malty finish. No characteristics stand out as particularly notable. Still, it’s a worthy tavern-food companion. (288 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

With all the hoopla, anticipation was high. Right off the bat, I was thoroughly disappointed with the macro-brew aroma. Pours clear bronze with thin tan head. Sticks to the glass well, so maybe it has some merit. Taste and feel was very similar to the macro brews which may explain the crowd of people it has drawn. On the plus side, it's highly drinkable, but I'd probably order a bud light for cheaper if that's what it came down to. (435 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a red/gold amber with a short-lived white head. Aroma is subdued - a bit of malt and slight hoppy acidity. This beer tastes extremely smooth and easy - nothing about it is on the fringe, just smooth simple maltiness with little hop flavor - light and somewhat bready. Slight carbonation, but smoothness helps thicken up the mouthfeel. The aftertaste, like everything else, is slight and short-lived, but not a turnoff. This beer is extremely easy to drink, but I found it to be too simple - just didn't have enough oomph in any way to keep my interest. Well done - but not my style. (588 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Picked up a 6 pack on my way home from work, because sadly this was the best available beer at my local gas station. Best before 7/17/11 date on the bottle.

A: Light brownish/amber/see through

S: Smells bready and malty.

T: Very light and crisp. Not very good for an Amber ale.

M: Thin, light, very easy to drink.

O: I've had Fat Tire many, many times before, so I figured it's time for a review. Sorry it's so short, but I don't think too highly of Fat Tire as I used to. I'll probably still drink this one again. (519 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Not much carbonation and kind of flat. Nice hint of berry smell, small note of honey. Beautiful amber/gold color. The taste is kind of watery with a nice fizzy aftertaste. The mouthful is light. Overall it's decent. (215 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Still orangey amber color. White head fades to an eighth inch. Average lacing, just above the head.

S - Very faint smell, some caramely malts with very faint hops.

T/M - Starts out somewhat viscose and a sharp carbonation hit, then an almost chocolatey roasted malt. Hops taste green and bitter but not very prevalent, it seems the roasted malt flavor is balanced by the carbonation. Finish leaves a toasted cereal malty flavor.

D - I like ambers a lot and this is not a terrible beer, but I wouldn't go back to it if I wanted an amber, as there are much better ambers available to me.

The beer store I work at just got in three New Belgium beers (Fat Tire, 1554 and Mothership Wit).

1554 was crap, this one was just okay and I liked Mothership the best. (775 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a pretty small, one finger head. The head is completely white and has some small and some big bubbles. Barely any lacing throughout the beer, and the head has already completely dissipated. The body is a light amber/orange color, it looks exactly like apple juice looks, for sure lighter in color than a traditional amber ale. Visibility is better than it should be, there really isn't much obstructing my view at all. The carbonation is extremely small, like, ridiculously small, there aren't more than two or three bubbles coming up at one time. Overall the appearance is ok, it's only redeeming factor is...it looks like beer. Small amount of hops on the smell, barely any at all, mostly pale malts here. I knew this wasn't a great amber ale, but this is kinda embarrassing on the smell. I really don't get much in the way of hops at all, and it just smells watery. I mean not much else to talk about, small amount of hops, mostly malt, watery. Overall average smell. The taste is no different, bad malts on the taste and a very very small hop note, somewhat watery as well. I suppose the taste is a little better than I thought it would be, but not by much. I mean the smell was really bad (considering it's a micro brew), and the flavor is only kinda bad. I mean I can at least taste the hops without trying too hard searching for them, where as in the smell it was reaaal difficult. This beer is closer to a 3.5 on the taste, but really not nearly close enough to get a 3.5, still a pretty solid 3. Pretty average taste overall, watery, malty, slightly hoppy, but not much. Mouthfeel is pretty terrible, I gave this beer a little hope with the carbonation, thinking maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but no, almost no carbonation in this beer. It feels like I'm drinking beer flavored water, so little carbonation it's not even funny. I know it's not good to overdo it on the carbonation, but they under did it, BIG time. The body isn't saving the mouthfeel either, it's thin, watery and not much too it. Overall on the mouthfeel...wow, not good. Drinkability is this beers only redeeming factor, it goes down easy and there isn't anything too offensive about it. Overall on this beer, it's a lot worse than I remember it, a lot less flavor and the mouthfeel is a lot worse than I remember. It's not a horrible beer, it's not hard to drink and it doesn't taste horrible, it's just really not a well crafted beer. Too watery, not much carbonation, not enough hops, and too much malts. (2,494 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -18.8%

Interestingly enough this is one of the first beers that got me started venturing into craft beer. At first, it thought it was a really great beer. Having drank hundreds of craft beers since then and drinking it now, it's an average beer. You can taste the caramel malt in this beer and smell it as well. Very drinkable, but I look for more of a "wow" factor. (359 characters)

22fl. Oz. Bottle

Appearance - A light amber color. High visual carbonation. Small head but it sticks around for the ride. Alright lacing.

Smell - A sweet bready malt type scent. Feels kinda empty.

Taste - Like some sort of sweet malt jam spread over a fresh slice of bread. I think this definitely needs to be served at the specified temperature (45°F / 7°C). I did my best to get the proper temperature but I still felt it was too cold. Beer stores make the fridges too cold. Anyways, as the beer warmed a wonderful flavor began in unfold.

Feel - Slightly syrupy and highly carbonated. Not Much more to say.

Overall - The flavor still felt lacking even after achieving proper temperature. Presentation was nothing special and nor was the scent. The Taste holds up the most and even that i felt was a little..uh, boring. I'm not saying this was a horrible beer, I just feel I got nothing from drinking it. (912 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a dark amber. Looks more viscous from an amber ale than I'd expect which I do like. Smells of the sweet, caramel malt and the taste maches. I'd say this one veers just too far off the sweet deep end for me. Medium bodied with some syrupy creaminess to it. I think this beer is a perfectly solid amber and it deserves its widespread popularity but, for me, I am not a huge fan of it as I find it to be just a little too sweet for my tastes. Once a year I can have a bottle of this and it will hit the spot, but once that bottle goes down I need about a years off from it before I can enjoy another. (603 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Reviewing this on the first day New Belgium is avaliable in North Carolina. Pours an off white puffy head. Left a bit of offwhite lacing.The color is a trasparent light copper. The carbination is fairly high. Smell has a slight hoppy scent too it with a bit of maltiness in there, not overly impressed. Taste has a big malt forward base, not really much in for hops exept a touch of like refreshness at the end. The taste almost reminds me of High life with a touch of hops. Mouthfeel is alright, had a bit of consistency and has pretty clean aftertaste. Overall I was a bit disapointent with this one. It wasnt bad but didnt stand out If I want this light high carbinated malty taste Ill get a high life for a quarter of the price. I just hope the rest of new belgiums offerings to NC are better. (797 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Well-agitated and active two finger head of creamy white, lacing slides down the glass walls in sheets rather than stick. Very light and transparent zinc orange color, just about as much yellow as any deeper red. Mocha, chocolate cake start off the nose, then corn syrup, dried tea leaves, the lack of a strong roast cedes more territory to the grainy and floral hops elements, almost by default, no citrus. Light-bodied and at times the carbonation foams up enough to make it feel dilute. Malted milk balls, caramel, some biscuit or baguette type of doughiness, here you get a suggestion of sweet mixed white citrus and pine. That said, the floral side drops off a lot even as the corn, raw wheat keep going. Even more watery at the finish, no lift nor final kick. (765 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

This was an "import" from Illinois, as we don't have this brand here in WI. I had once when out west a few years ago, but with its rise in popularity, I wanted to revisit it to see what the fuss is about it. And I must say I don't get it. First, I don't understand the terminology of a "Belgian style" amber. The beer is OK , but I've certainly had better amber ale's (in recent memory - McTarnahan's, for example). Recommended for the curious, but not for anyone else.

Appearance was indeed amber, with good "Belgian" lacing. Aroma was faintly malty, but not distinctive. Flavor was roastier than I would've expected, but as it warmed it had a malty sweetness that I didn't expect and didn't reall feel fit with the rest of the beer's flavor. Mouthfeel was nothing special (good or bad), but this beer struck me as one you could drink quite a bit of, if you really liked the way it tastes (I'll pass). (905 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Nice white head, was a nice copper color with a hint of red.

S: Not much smell at all, nothing stood out to me.

T: Starts out malty and sweet, finishes with a note of hops. Taste does not linger long. There is a slight sweetness to it, just a touch of fruit notes before the hops kick in at the finish.

M: Slightly thin, but not too bad. I'd say about average.

D: Not an outstanding brew, but not a horrible one either. This to me is something you'd drink with food when you're not too concerned about how good a beer you have, but want something better than the mass market beers. However, if I was wanting something above average or special, this beer would not fit the bill. I've had 2 Below Ale by New Belgium, and I'd consider it much superior to Fat Tire. Based on my expectations from that one, this one was a bit disappointing. (842 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle poured into a shaker-pint glass.

A: Pours a translucent orange, virtually no "haze", with a thick lively white head on top.

S: My sniffer must be broken? I pick up on... very little. Maybe just a hint of sweetness and an odd "almost spoiled" smell, but everything is VERY faint.

T: Light, thin, and crisp, the "almost spoiled" scent I picked up reminds me a bit of a Pilsner bitterness on the back end, would be interesting to see what kind of hops they are using here. Also, a touch of bisquity malts here as well.

Am having trouble deciding if, when it all comes together, whether it's "pleasant" or not. It's rather "meh". Mediocre.

M: Unremarkable. Finishes a bit dry and leaves a bit of sweatness behind. Carbonation could be a bit more distinguished for my liking.

D/O: An "average" craft beer. I'd have another one at some point in the future, but I'm in no hurry to revisit. (895 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Had this on tap tonight at a pizza joint here in Austin.

I am normally a huge craft beer fan, but this one just doesn't quite do it for me. Don't get me wrong, not a bad brew, but the overwheling earthy flavor of this beer, especially early on, just doesn't quite do it. That said, I have tasted worse beers out there, but I probably won't be drinking this brew again. (372 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

A - orangey tan color, half a fingers of bubbly off white colored head, leaves some decent strands of lace

S - caramel, light floral hops

T - more caramel, some bready malt, some lemony bitter hops

M - Thin medium bodied if that makes sense, carbonation is good and keeps the head sitting on top

D - gf picked this up for me, along with some other New Belgium's in NC since its not distributed to VA; finally just getting around to drinking this, too many other beers to try before this one; not bad, but not great, its pretty hot out so it fit the weather alright, if NB comes to VA ill stick with their Lips of Faith series (666 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

A- It looks nice. Pours a clear, clean amber with a low white head that leaves little lacing.

S- Hops, citrus, evergreen. The smell was okay, but a little weak.

T- Weak hops dominated, nothing really balanced it. There were hints of malt and a fruity hang. I found it rather boring. Not offensive, just not as complex as I'd like.

M- Light bodied and crisp. Didn't finish as clean as I'd like with such a light bodied beer. It left my mouth slightly coated.

D- This is really a fairly drinkable beer. I find everything about it to be understated. I think it would be pretty darn good if the flavor and smell were a little more potent and balanced. (652 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing