2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,490 | Reviews: 1,753 | Show All Ratings:
Malt

4.63/5  rDev +29%

This ale is one of my favorites because its readily avalible anywere and at a decent price. Although this batch has hardly any carbonation. Great copper color. Head pours thick but guickly fades. Smells a little like honey and malt. Tastes like sweet honey and has a biscut note to it. Overall this is definatly an ale to be consumed by a group.

10-01-2011 04:59:48 | More by Malt
CU570M

Washington

4.6/5  rDev +28.1%

Harvest orange brown color. Small to medium head with little to no lacing. Best described buy bottle as toasty and biscuit like. Fantastic burnt crust kind of taste with earthy woody undertones. Medium carbonation with a slight bite. Very drinkable.

One of those beers that you can't get enough of. Everytime i taste this beer i find new flavors.

10-05-2006 18:53:25 | More by CU570M
Supertrooper44

Indiana

4.59/5  rDev +27.9%

fat tire is overall a very good beer smell is great, only had it in bottles havent really tried it on tap so im sure its way better but this is the kind of beer you can really just sit and drink all day and relax price range is good excellent beer try it some time

10-22-2013 02:21:31 | More by Supertrooper44
jbarber1534

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

This american take on a belgiun ale has become a cult favorite in the rockies. The appearence is a deep amber with a foamy head. As for taste, this beer stands in a class of its own with a yeasty, irresistable flavor. This is truly a brew for all occasions.

02-27-2007 03:27:43 | More by jbarber1534
jtslay

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

The description on the bottle is quite accurate. Biscuit-like aroma and flavor are a direct result of the yeast used by New Belgium Brewing. Pay close attention to the serving temperature and try to pour into your favorite beer glass rather than drink from the bottle. The aroma gets me every time. I think the bitterness is very appropriate for this style of brewing. This is a very well constructed amber ale.

03-29-2007 17:28:36 | More by jtslay
wizzle

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

A "go-to" beer for many years. One that my dad, my wife, and I could all agree on and enjoy. Now that I am on the East Coast I find myself really missing it and comparing a lot of beers to it.
Ultra rich and flavorful without being thick or unctuous. Loads of malty sweetness and well-balanced hops. Close to perfection. A crowd-pleaser.

07-22-2008 19:06:28 | More by wizzle
MikeInIowa

Iowa

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

I love Fat Tire. Once I am more adept at examining beer critically, I will know why it is that I love it so much, and update my review then.

But for right now, I will say that it is because of the following reasons: Its rich, nutty aroma; its creamy feeling like that of a decadent, chocolate cream pie; its luxurious, opaque amber appearance and sustained, light-brown head; and its completeness of taste in that it stimulates sweet and bitter simultaneously and in precise balance between the two without lingering a second in excess.

Did I mention that I love Fat Tire.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

04-01-2009 20:15:21 | More by MikeInIowa
JoLight

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

Appearance - Amber, filtered, and an off-white frothy head.

Aroma - Toasty biscuit.

Taste - Toasty, biscuity malts, some sweetness, very smooth, and a slight presence of hops to round off the malts and sweetness.

Overall - Smooth, malty, unique, delicious, and thoroughly enjoyable.

03-17-2012 05:09:43 | More by JoLight
martino_cappachino

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

Poured from a bottle into a 20 oz mug.

About a half an inch, frothy-white, crystal head. Fairly good lacing.

Aroma was of a very pleasant, soft petal bouquet, almost fruity, and rose-petal-ish like scent.

Polished, crystal clear, fossilized amber in appearance. Cool and pleasantly carbonated. Taste was very faint, but easily drinkable. Spikes at a citrus-y pine in taste at first slowly melting into a drop of butter on moistened toast ahead towards the finish. The hoppy-pine taste lingering longer as the beer warms, and expressing more pale-ish tasting malts.

This was the best looking amber in color I've ever seen. The taste was nice, cool, faint and sessionable. I do agree with another viewer, "not horribly complex". But will definitely enjoy this beer again... possibly at a bbq on a nice humid summer day.

03-31-2012 06:39:55 | More by martino_cappachino
jawlessbody

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of dense, sticky head on top.

Smell: Definitely some toasted grains on the nose, with a body of sweeter, butterscotch malt notes and finished off by just the slightest bitterness from the hops.

Taste: Follows the nose incredibly well. Flavors of crusty bread hit the tongue right away, but fill out to a body of caramel and toffee flavors just ever so lightly accented with a perfect earthy hoppiness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick mouthfeel with little carbonation and an incredibly smooth finish.

Overall: I love this beer. It's an incredibly smooth and easy to drink session ale, but has all the deep flavor complexities I want when drinking a beer. I always keep it stocked and it is my go to beer when I go to a gathering of friends. Simply impeccable.

07-03-2013 17:19:13 | More by jawlessbody
jbriggs7036

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

First off big thanks to Dros and Willy for getting this beer to me from North Carolina all the way to Maryland via 14 hour drive.

What a interesting beer. Pored from a bottle into a pint glass after letting it sit in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the head settles theres a thin tan lacing that lasts for the duration.

The taste threw me off the first time I tried it. The second time I came to it I was a little more mature. After tastes a little sharp when chilled too much, after letting the room temp warm it up it transforms into probably my favorite beer yet. The taste resembles some sort of sugar with a strong aftertaste. Wish I could give a more educated review on this one to do it justice, but really this is a great beer to try if you can get it.

08-07-2010 14:26:38 | More by jbriggs7036
antwan3421

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

As far as an amber goes this beer is truely exceptional. Being from Michigan I am not afforded the same priveledge of tasting this beer on tap, rather I visit family in Chicago and buy the beer in bottles. Yet, the beer itself is quite remarkable. The hoppy flavor that it claims to have is recognizable yet subtle enough to keep from detracting from the flavors that it boasts. It is far less malty than some abmbers I have tried but I feel that helps more than hurts the brew. Fat tire still retains a bright robust flavor and is apparent in both the front and the back of the beer. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is looking for an amber beer with remarkable flavor.

12-24-2010 05:18:05 | More by antwan3421
sonnybrew

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

A: Bright, crystal clear amber, minimal to moderate head with no lacing in glass.

S: Very slight hop smell, with a malty sweetness dominating aroma.

T: Exceptionally clean, malty with a hint of chocolate towards the end. No distracting aftertaste, and hop assertiveness is minimal.

M: Moderate mouthfeel without being too thin.

O: Excellent beer for style and well suitable for those who do not prefer an assertive hop presence. Very clean and can be an everyday goto beer.

09-01-2011 19:45:42 | More by sonnybrew
jbjohnso

South Carolina

A: Deep red/Orange-ish.

S: Bready and Malty, almost verbatim as the brewery's description per my lack of imagination.

T: Biscuity as the label suggest, but in addition, I would suggest maybe even buttery. It's not too far a stretch to suggest, because we think butter when we think biscuits. I mean that in the best possible way. Because I'm a homebrewer, this is normally a taste I would try to avoid. For this beer though, I love it.

M: The only thing I would suggest is a slightly higher amount of carbonation, but that's just me.

O: I've not been one for food and drink pairing in the past, but I would suggest trying this with angel food cake; it works quite well; make sure it's with strawberries. This is an easy go-to beer because A) it's tasty B) easy to find in grocery stores and C) it works for me any time of the year. I definitely recommend this to beer geeks like myself and those transitioning from"beer" and what beer can actually be: tasty.

04-23-2013 00:00:46 | More by jbjohnso
jcbogantes

Costa Rica

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers, I like its drinkability, with the perfect balance in sweetness matinees, and bitterness

Appearance: light cooper appearance, heat is white without lacing
Smell: malty and earthy
Taste: malty, earthy
Mouthfeel: medium bodied

07-27-2013 00:48:57 | More by jcbogantes
wdempster

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

This was my first experience with this brewer and I must say I am quite impressed. Nice hops taste and mouth-feel with some complex flavors (chocolate?) and some caramel after notes. Fairly low on carbonation as evidenced by the thin head, but, tasty nevertheless. I am a fan of belgian ales, and while this really doesn't qualify (brewer's name non-withstanding), I find it to be highly drinkable in the same manner. Still on my first bottle, so this may not be sustainable, but, so far, a very enjoyable experience.

07-10-2008 00:29:42 | More by wdempster
wesclaypool

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet paired up with a Chipotle burrito.

a - Clear, dark orange with a half inch of head.

s - Pretty strong hops aroma with a bit of caramel.

t - Sweet, malty taste with the hops coming through at the very end.

m - Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

d - Very drinkable. Its easy to see why this one is so popular.

05-11-2010 03:09:14 | More by wesclaypool
Portertime

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I get so many requests for this beer down here in Florida I wish they would ship south! I was lucky to finally try this brew in a bar across from The Art Institute in Chicago. I was wunderbar! Had a nice intense reddish color. Smelled a nice fruity malts and a kiss of hops. Tasted smooth and nice on the tongue with well balanced malt and hops. A very nice addition to the awesome Guiness hamburger I had a the bar.

04-23-2008 13:40:44 | More by Portertime
msolar

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I think this is a terrific beer - great color, body, balance, flavor, and drinkability. It's a bit maltier than most, but that's a plus in my book as beers seem to be very hoppy lately.

I'm a fan of most of New Belgium's beers, and I think the "B" rating here is under estimating the beer. I'd put this on tap at home without question, if only NB distributed to New England.

09-27-2008 20:23:33 | More by msolar
RobAlsbury1

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

appearance - a nice amber color, glistening softly in my glass. Good looking beer, a bit flat with regard to carbonation, but i think it worked towards the favor of the beer.

smell - spicy flavors, bisquity hops all over. not too much to fire up the nostrils, but soft and nice.

Taste - exceptional flavor, great tasting beer. Spices work together well. Bisquity hopes and toasty malt flavorings pair very nicely. Truly a great recipe and one to follow. NB's flagship beer indeed.

mouthfeel - exceptional. worked well on the palette and left a dry mustiness that had me wanting more.

Drinkability - very easy beer to drink, flavorings allow for multiple food pairings. Again the spice of this beer really has me intrigued. The only other beer I've noticed that much spice on is Full Sail's Session Lager. Not much on IBU's 16 or so, but a great beer indeed...

I'm thirsty Boyz.!!!

08-11-2010 20:19:57 | More by RobAlsbury1
JPMONEY88

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Fat Tire is the beer that will make you a man, brewed in the rockies, it will make even Sam Elliot's handlebar mustache look even more badass and it will give any man who has lost his manhood back his manhood instantly with interest, the first taste is like an initiation into manhood...

08-27-2010 05:14:42 | More by JPMONEY88

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

A very drinkable beer. So far my favorite American Red Ale. The color is amazing and i will someday make it a color on my walls. I visited the brewery in November of 2010. New Belgium Brewery really cares about the beer and it is a happy employee owned company. Very fun.

02-06-2011 04:50:43 | More by FollowedMyFolly
maddyaliotti

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

-the taste was bittersweet. It had elements of both in each taste which made it delightful.
-the smell was sweet and smelled like a sour/figi apple or apple cider
-it didnt have a strong hold nor a strong head
-it had a light mouthfeel.
-it also had low carbination
-the color of this beer is like a golden brown, amber color its taste and looks good!

01-20-2012 06:17:38 | More by maddyaliotti
One2Remeber

First time having on tap. Catinas in Houston, TX

A: Thin creamy white head. Rich orange color in body, transparent. Extremely sticky, lacey film after each sip.

S: Served in a chilled mug really masking true notes. Gummy, toasted bread notes. Warm mellow acidic fruit smell of orange.

T: Explosive notes in accordance of smell. Chewy, bready, gummy. Small traces of slightly burnt caramel malts really add to the complexion.

M: Bubbly bitter up front which makes for explosive flavor at the end even more enjoyable.

O: I finally understand why people go crazy about this beer. Way better on draft. Extremely fresh, crisp, clean and one of the most flavorful ales while perfectly balancing all the ingredients. I will not bother drinking this one in bottle again.

01-30-2012 21:10:18 | More by One2Remeber
KMBoswell

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I love this beer, they nailed it on taste/color/smell (in my opinion)
I've even brewed the knock-off/clone recipe of this, it comes close but still not it (I'm working to perfect that though)
the first time I ever had it was when I was visiting a friend in Fort Collins and I've been sold on it since
Great stuff (gave it a 4.5 because it doesn't beat the fresh taste as it was in F.C.CO)

01-27-2014 18:33:30 | More by KMBoswell