Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,855 | Hads: 7,616
4.65/5  rDev +28.5%

realized I'd never reviewed this rare gem, so here goes nothing.

pours a surprisingly nice light amber with marigold highlights into my new belgium tulip. A frothy, thick two-finger head fades slowly to a thin cap that leaves solid lacing. Looks good.

aroma is malt, a touch funky, nutty and corn. earthy and grainy. hints of earthy hops. the grain aroma gets stronger as it warms.

taste is clean, crisp, hints of fruit, hints of malt, and a touch of hops - just enough for a pleasant crisp bitterness. apples, pear, some wheat and a touch of white sugar.

mouth is solidly clean, with moderate body, ample fine carbonation, almost creamy but not too thick. really works.

all in all, what can i say that hasn't been said? When fresh, it's pretty solid. when not brand-spankin-fresh, it's border-line awful... which is why I'm tossing it a slightly lower score... something about the malt profile just gets funky as it warms. (928 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +28.2%

This ale is one of my favorites because its readily avalible anywere and at a decent price. Although this batch has hardly any carbonation. Great copper color. Head pours thick but guickly fades. Smells a little like honey and malt. Tastes like sweet honey and has a biscut note to it. Overall this is definatly an ale to be consumed by a group. (345 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +27.9%

I'm not sure what all the hating on Fat Tire is all about but, I think it deserves all the praise it has recieved. As a homebrewer, I would love to get that nutty flavor in my beers. Fat Tire also has a great yeasty taste that I like, and it melds well with the nutty flavor to make what I would call "comfort beer". (316 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +27.6%

I have to admit, I was hooked from the get go on this one. This is the beer I get when I am in Texas. I really enjoy this one with a good juicy rare steak. By all means this one is my favorite beer of recent. I have tried the Abby that they offer but this one has blown my socks off. (283 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

A very tasty amber ale. Has the typical red look to it once poured in the glass. To me, the smell is a bit deceiving but still not a bad smell at all. Taste is excellent, far better than any other amber ale I've drank. Drinkability is also excellent, goes great by itself or with a meal if you so choose. (304 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

The magical part of this beer is the way that you can smell exactly what you will be tasting. A creamy, malty aroma embraces a carmel/sugar/whatever-sweet-candy-you-can-think-of overtone. Fat Tire is a friggin' bouncy castle in a bottle. The taste is so malty and creamy that these flavors remain consistent throughout anything you taste afterwards. There is a distinct sweet aftertaste, pretty much candy, inside of that friggin' bouncy castle, inside of that bottle. Overall, all your worries come back at the bottom of the glass. This is easily one of the most adaptable beers out there. (590 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

The description on the bottle is quite accurate. Biscuit-like aroma and flavor are a direct result of the yeast used by New Belgium Brewing. Pay close attention to the serving temperature and try to pour into your favorite beer glass rather than drink from the bottle. The aroma gets me every time. I think the bitterness is very appropriate for this style of brewing. This is a very well constructed amber ale. (411 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%

This beer produces a giant head that leaves walls of sticky, sheet-like lacing. Color is new-penny copper and aromas are light grassy hops and grain. Smell is very fresh.

This is a pretty simple beer, just toasted malt sweetness with spicy and grassy hop bitterness but damn I will never get tired of this long-time favorite. Its just the right balance of smoothness, flavor, light and dark tastes. Great stuff. Light mouthfel with low carbonation. I have consumed great quantities of this beer in the past, and one day hope to do so again. (543 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +26.5%

Appearance - Amber, filtered, and an off-white frothy head.

Aroma - Toasty biscuit.

Taste - Toasty, biscuity malts, some sweetness, very smooth, and a slight presence of hops to round off the malts and sweetness.

Overall - Smooth, malty, unique, delicious, and thoroughly enjoyable. (287 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +26.5%

Poured from a bottle into a 20 oz mug.

About a half an inch, frothy-white, crystal head. Fairly good lacing.

Aroma was of a very pleasant, soft petal bouquet, almost fruity, and rose-petal-ish like scent.

Polished, crystal clear, fossilized amber in appearance. Cool and pleasantly carbonated. Taste was very faint, but easily drinkable. Spikes at a citrus-y pine in taste at first slowly melting into a drop of butter on moistened toast ahead towards the finish. The hoppy-pine taste lingering longer as the beer warms, and expressing more pale-ish tasting malts.

This was the best looking amber in color I've ever seen. The taste was nice, cool, faint and sessionable. I do agree with another viewer, "not horribly complex". But will definitely enjoy this beer again... possibly at a bbq on a nice humid summer day. (821 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +26.2%

A "go-to" beer for many years. One that my dad, my wife, and I could all agree on and enjoy. Now that I am on the East Coast I find myself really missing it and comparing a lot of beers to it.
Ultra rich and flavorful without being thick or unctuous. Loads of malty sweetness and well-balanced hops. Close to perfection. A crowd-pleaser. (337 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers, I like its drinkability, with the perfect balance in sweetness matinees, and bitterness

Appearance: light cooper appearance, heat is white without lacing
Smell: malty and earthy
Taste: malty, earthy
Mouthfeel: medium bodied
(261 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

Harvest orange brown color. Small to medium head with little to no lacing. Best described buy bottle as toasty and biscuit like. Fantastic burnt crust kind of taste with earthy woody undertones. Medium carbonation with a slight bite. Very drinkable.

One of those beers that you can't get enough of. Everytime i taste this beer i find new flavors. (351 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of dense, sticky head on top.

Smell: Definitely some toasted grains on the nose, with a body of sweeter, butterscotch malt notes and finished off by just the slightest bitterness from the hops.

Taste: Follows the nose incredibly well. Flavors of crusty bread hit the tongue right away, but fill out to a body of caramel and toffee flavors just ever so lightly accented with a perfect earthy hoppiness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick mouthfeel with little carbonation and an incredibly smooth finish.

Overall: I love this beer. It's an incredibly smooth and easy to drink session ale, but has all the deep flavor complexities I want when drinking a beer. I always keep it stocked and it is my go to beer when I go to a gathering of friends. Simply impeccable. (879 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

fat tire is overall a very good beer smell is great, only had it in bottles havent really tried it on tap so im sure its way better but this is the kind of beer you can really just sit and drink all day and relax price range is good excellent beer try it some time (264 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

I love Fat Tire. Once I am more adept at examining beer critically, I will know why it is that I love it so much, and update my review then.

But for right now, I will say that it is because of the following reasons: Its rich, nutty aroma; its creamy feeling like that of a decadent, chocolate cream pie; its luxurious, opaque amber appearance and sustained, light-brown head; and its completeness of taste in that it stimulates sweet and bitter simultaneously and in precise balance between the two without lingering a second in excess.

Did I mention that I love Fat Tire.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa (610 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +25.1%

This american take on a belgiun ale has become a cult favorite in the rockies. The appearence is a deep amber with a foamy head. As for taste, this beer stands in a class of its own with a yeasty, irresistable flavor. This is truly a brew for all occasions. (257 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet paired up with a Chipotle burrito.

a - Clear, dark orange with a half inch of head.

s - Pretty strong hops aroma with a bit of caramel.

t - Sweet, malty taste with the hops coming through at the very end.

m - Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

d - Very drinkable. Its easy to see why this one is so popular. (356 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.9%

This was my first experience with this brewer and I must say I am quite impressed. Nice hops taste and mouth-feel with some complex flavors (chocolate?) and some caramel after notes. Fairly low on carbonation as evidenced by the thin head, but, tasty nevertheless. I am a fan of belgian ales, and while this really doesn't qualify (brewer's name non-withstanding), I find it to be highly drinkable in the same manner. Still on my first bottle, so this may not be sustainable, but, so far, a very enjoyable experience. (517 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

love everything about this beer , except the fact that is so very hard to get in my area!
rich coopery beer with tons of flavor, malty and spicy, not to be ignore, if you get the chance to drink this beer, point blank, do it! (225 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

As far as an amber goes this beer is truely exceptional. Being from Michigan I am not afforded the same priveledge of tasting this beer on tap, rather I visit family in Chicago and buy the beer in bottles. Yet, the beer itself is quite remarkable. The hoppy flavor that it claims to have is recognizable yet subtle enough to keep from detracting from the flavors that it boasts. It is far less malty than some abmbers I have tried but I feel that helps more than hurts the brew. Fat tire still retains a bright robust flavor and is apparent in both the front and the back of the beer. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is looking for an amber beer with remarkable flavor. (679 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

I get so many requests for this beer down here in Florida I wish they would ship south! I was lucky to finally try this brew in a bar across from The Art Institute in Chicago. I was wunderbar! Had a nice intense reddish color. Smelled a nice fruity malts and a kiss of hops. Tasted smooth and nice on the tongue with well balanced malt and hops. A very nice addition to the awesome Guiness hamburger I had a the bar. (416 characters)

First time having on tap. Catinas in Houston, TX

A: Thin creamy white head. Rich orange color in body, transparent. Extremely sticky, lacey film after each sip.

S: Served in a chilled mug really masking true notes. Gummy, toasted bread notes. Warm mellow acidic fruit smell of orange.

T: Explosive notes in accordance of smell. Chewy, bready, gummy. Small traces of slightly burnt caramel malts really add to the complexion.

M: Bubbly bitter up front which makes for explosive flavor at the end even more enjoyable.

O: I finally understand why people go crazy about this beer. Way better on draft. Extremely fresh, crisp, clean and one of the most flavorful ales while perfectly balancing all the ingredients. I will not bother drinking this one in bottle again. (769 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

-the taste was bittersweet. It had elements of both in each taste which made it delightful.
-the smell was sweet and smelled like a sour/figi apple or apple cider
-it didnt have a strong hold nor a strong head
-it had a light mouthfeel.
-it also had low carbination
-the color of this beer is like a golden brown, amber color its taste and looks good! (352 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

A: Bright, crystal clear amber, minimal to moderate head with no lacing in glass.

S: Very slight hop smell, with a malty sweetness dominating aroma.

T: Exceptionally clean, malty with a hint of chocolate towards the end. No distracting aftertaste, and hop assertiveness is minimal.

M: Moderate mouthfeel without being too thin.

O: Excellent beer for style and well suitable for those who do not prefer an assertive hop presence. Very clean and can be an everyday goto beer. (477 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing