Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
3.6

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Reviews: 1,940 | Ratings: 8,137
4.52/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet paired up with a Chipotle burrito.

a - Clear, dark orange with a half inch of head.

s - Pretty strong hops aroma with a bit of caramel.

t - Sweet, malty taste with the hops coming through at the very end.

m - Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

d - Very drinkable. Its easy to see why this one is so popular.

4.52/5  rDev +25.6%

This was my first experience with this brewer and I must say I am quite impressed. Nice hops taste and mouth-feel with some complex flavors (chocolate?) and some caramel after notes. Fairly low on carbonation as evidenced by the thin head, but, tasty nevertheless. I am a fan of belgian ales, and while this really doesn't qualify (brewer's name non-withstanding), I find it to be highly drinkable in the same manner. Still on my first bottle, so this may not be sustainable, but, so far, a very enjoyable experience.

4.51/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

love everything about this beer , except the fact that is so very hard to get in my area!
rich coopery beer with tons of flavor, malty and spicy, not to be ignore, if you get the chance to drink this beer, point blank, do it!

4.5/5  rDev +25%

As far as an amber goes this beer is truely exceptional. Being from Michigan I am not afforded the same priveledge of tasting this beer on tap, rather I visit family in Chicago and buy the beer in bottles. Yet, the beer itself is quite remarkable. The hoppy flavor that it claims to have is recognizable yet subtle enough to keep from detracting from the flavors that it boasts. It is far less malty than some abmbers I have tried but I feel that helps more than hurts the brew. Fat tire still retains a bright robust flavor and is apparent in both the front and the back of the beer. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is looking for an amber beer with remarkable flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

I get so many requests for this beer down here in Florida I wish they would ship south! I was lucky to finally try this brew in a bar across from The Art Institute in Chicago. I was wunderbar! Had a nice intense reddish color. Smelled a nice fruity malts and a kiss of hops. Tasted smooth and nice on the tongue with well balanced malt and hops. A very nice addition to the awesome Guiness hamburger I had a the bar.

First time having on tap. Catinas in Houston, TX

A: Thin creamy white head. Rich orange color in body, transparent. Extremely sticky, lacey film after each sip.

S: Served in a chilled mug really masking true notes. Gummy, toasted bread notes. Warm mellow acidic fruit smell of orange.

T: Explosive notes in accordance of smell. Chewy, bready, gummy. Small traces of slightly burnt caramel malts really add to the complexion.

M: Bubbly bitter up front which makes for explosive flavor at the end even more enjoyable.

O: I finally understand why people go crazy about this beer. Way better on draft. Extremely fresh, crisp, clean and one of the most flavorful ales while perfectly balancing all the ingredients. I will not bother drinking this one in bottle again.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

-the taste was bittersweet. It had elements of both in each taste which made it delightful.
-the smell was sweet and smelled like a sour/figi apple or apple cider
-it didnt have a strong hold nor a strong head
-it had a light mouthfeel.
-it also had low carbination
-the color of this beer is like a golden brown, amber color its taste and looks good!

4.5/5  rDev +25%

A: Bright, crystal clear amber, minimal to moderate head with no lacing in glass.

S: Very slight hop smell, with a malty sweetness dominating aroma.

T: Exceptionally clean, malty with a hint of chocolate towards the end. No distracting aftertaste, and hop assertiveness is minimal.

M: Moderate mouthfeel without being too thin.

O: Excellent beer for style and well suitable for those who do not prefer an assertive hop presence. Very clean and can be an everyday goto beer.

A: Deep red/Orange-ish.

S: Bready and Malty, almost verbatim as the brewery's description per my lack of imagination.

T: Biscuity as the label suggest, but in addition, I would suggest maybe even buttery. It's not too far a stretch to suggest, because we think butter when we think biscuits. I mean that in the best possible way. Because I'm a homebrewer, this is normally a taste I would try to avoid. For this beer though, I love it.

M: The only thing I would suggest is a slightly higher amount of carbonation, but that's just me.

O: I've not been one for food and drink pairing in the past, but I would suggest trying this with angel food cake; it works quite well; make sure it's with strawberries. This is an easy go-to beer because A) it's tasty B) easy to find in grocery stores and C) it works for me any time of the year. I definitely recommend this to beer geeks like myself and those transitioning from"beer" and what beer can actually be: tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

One of favorite all-around beers. When New Belgium was only available in several states I used to bring back cases from Texas to share in North Carolina with friends and family.

Appearance: Amber
Smell: Biscuits and hops
Taste: Bread and malt
Mouthfeel: Smooth and crisp
Drinkability: Great beer and it has always been on o my favorites.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

I love this beer, they nailed it on taste/color/smell (in my opinion)
I've even brewed the knock-off/clone recipe of this, it comes close but still not it (I'm working to perfect that though)
the first time I ever had it was when I was visiting a friend in Fort Collins and I've been sold on it since
Great stuff (gave it a 4.5 because it doesn't beat the fresh taste as it was in F.C.CO)

4.5/5  rDev +25%

I think this is a terrific beer - great color, body, balance, flavor, and drinkability. It's a bit maltier than most, but that's a plus in my book as beers seem to be very hoppy lately.

I'm a fan of most of New Belgium's beers, and I think the "B" rating here is under estimating the beer. I'd put this on tap at home without question, if only NB distributed to New England.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

One of my favorite beers! The toasted slightly yeast like flavors really come through. I definitely prefer to have it on tap or poured into a glass rather than from the bottle because it becomes a different beer altogether when it has time to breathe.

4.49/5  rDev +24.7%

First off big thanks to Dros and Willy for getting this beer to me from North Carolina all the way to Maryland via 14 hour drive.

What a interesting beer. Pored from a bottle into a pint glass after letting it sit in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the head settles theres a thin tan lacing that lasts for the duration.

The taste threw me off the first time I tried it. The second time I came to it I was a little more mature. After tastes a little sharp when chilled too much, after letting the room temp warm it up it transforms into probably my favorite beer yet. The taste resembles some sort of sugar with a strong aftertaste. Wish I could give a more educated review on this one to do it justice, but really this is a great beer to try if you can get it.

Once served in my "Bayern Mug":

A: Bright orange color, the foamy head looks like a snowflake with a finger thick, excellent lacing and a bike in the logo;

S: Perfumed with ground hops, some malt like toffee, and also tangerine, strawberry and bubble gum;

T: Malt, toffee, bubble gum and biscuits, the finish is slightly spicy with citrus hops;

M: Very refreshing, smooth, medium body and low carbonation;

D: Unusual beer, i feel sad for finished it very quickly.

4.48/5  rDev +24.4%

A very drinkable beer. So far my favorite American Red Ale. The color is amazing and i will someday make it a color on my walls. I visited the brewery in November of 2010. New Belgium Brewery really cares about the beer and it is a happy employee owned company. Very fun.

4.48/5  rDev +24.4%

Fat Tire is the beer that will make you a man, brewed in the rockies, it will make even Sam Elliot's handlebar mustache look even more badass and it will give any man who has lost his manhood back his manhood instantly with interest, the first taste is like an initiation into manhood...

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

Beautiful amber with a nice head in the glass. Malt nose and taste -- nutty/chocolate nicely balanced with hoppy floral/citrus note. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Nice beer. On the first part of the bottle, I felt like I got malty chocolatey nutty notes in the glass more than hoppy cloral citrus notes, then, later, I felt like I got more hoppy notes.

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

Wonderful Amber Ale. This style is by far my favorite and New Belgium nails it with a biscuity smell that I crave.

Appears darker than your average ale, strong, sweet biscuity aroma. Taste is crisp, wonderful after taste. Overall, one of the best amber ales available.

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

A: light copper color with a sudsy head, retained through each sip.

S: I get a lot of a fresh biscuit smell, and a nutty smell, like almond or cashew.

T: Very balanced, has a malt sweetness that is heavily characterized by the biscuit malt, and there is just enough hops to balance it out. Hops are noticeable but not overpowering. The toasty nuttiness is there, and I do enjoy the biscuit character. Definitely get the biscuit/nutty taste with this.

M: Not bad, borderline watery but still good. Carbonation levels are perfect.

D: I'm from Colorado, where Fat Tire is almost on kitchen sink tap, so I definitely have a great appreciation for this beer. One of my favorite beers to drink, and a great example of a balanced ale. Great malty sweetness with good hops. Always have them in my fridge, a truly delicious beer.

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time reviewer on BA. I have to lead off with my favorite adult-brewed beverage.

Introduced to Fat Tire while on business trips across the country. Savory, smooth ... became my ideal first choice whenever I left Florida. When job situation changed, I played the Smokey and the Bandit card with friends who were traveling from northern climes (mostly from GA). Even made a few road trips myself (1 hour) to grab some amber deliciousness. There had never before been a beer I was willing to drive some distance to obtain. On 29 June 2013 my quests for New Belgium's Flagship Brew became super easy as Florida welcomed Fat Tire and her band of brothers/sisters to the Sunshine State.

Fat Tire is a flavorful complement to most any meal or a refreshing excuse to break from yard work. Always maintain one six pack at the ready in the secondary fridge.

4.46/5  rDev +23.9%

A: Perfectly clear, amber color with a bright, printer-paper white head that sticks to the glass in nice lacing patterns.

S: Toasted bread and a touch of sweet caramel. Earth-like and Floral hops in the background, and an overall impression of freshly milled caramel malt.

T: Not complex, but delivers on all fronts. It starts with a nice caramel flavor that carries the beer through tasting. The mid-palate has a touch of floral hops, and it finishes with burt caramel.

M: Moderately carbonated and medium bodied, the beer foams somewhat on the palate while consuming.

D: Great drinkability, this is an excellent go-to beer.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

I'm reviewing this after drinking fat tire for many years. I've even been to the New Belgium brewery, the highlight of my beer career. I'm a bit biased because my junior year of college Fat Tire taught me what beer could be.

Pours a clear amber with a rich white head.

Smells a bit malty, slightly bread like.

Tastes, wonderful.Nice and smooth and well balanced.

The mouthfeel is pretty great too, perfect carbonation and not too heavy.

I could drink this beer every day, it's the perfect beer to pick up when you want to drink beer just to drink beer.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

New Belgium Fat Tire

A- Light clear amber with a quarter inch head that sticks around. Nice carbonation bubbles in constant rising.

S- Toasted bread is the first thought. A bit floral with a slight toffee/caramel hint.

T- A toasty slightly buttered biscuit. Very light and smooth with a bit of caramel. Perhaps a little apple? An earthy aftertaste.

M- Perfect mouthfeel. Light with just the right amount of carbonation. Finishes clean with a slight spicy aftertaste on the breath.

D- Very easy to drink. Great beer to go with any meal. Not filling. Unitimidating and enjoyable.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

True amber color throughout the body of the beer. Light smell from the malts not to overpowering but smells nice. Great taste all I could ask for in an amber ale, carbonation and use of malts are accurate. Very good beer, know wonder why it's New Belgium's flagship beer.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing