Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,548 | Reviews: 1,943
4.58/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Always enjoyed the taste as well ad the aroma

4.57/5  rDev +27.3%

A "go-to" beer for many years. One that my dad, my wife, and I could all agree on and enjoy. Now that I am on the East Coast I find myself really missing it and comparing a lot of beers to it.
Ultra rich and flavorful without being thick or unctuous. Loads of malty sweetness and well-balanced hops. Close to perfection. A crowd-pleaser.

4.56/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've heard this was okay but not great, beat thing I could find at a local market on vacation and I was pleasantly surprised.

4.56/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A delicious beer that is so smooth

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers, I like its drinkability, with the perfect balance in sweetness matinees, and bitterness

Appearance: light cooper appearance, heat is white without lacing
Smell: malty and earthy
Taste: malty, earthy
Mouthfeel: medium bodied

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

Harvest orange brown color. Small to medium head with little to no lacing. Best described buy bottle as toasty and biscuit like. Fantastic burnt crust kind of taste with earthy woody undertones. Medium carbonation with a slight bite. Very drinkable.

One of those beers that you can't get enough of. Everytime i taste this beer i find new flavors.

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of dense, sticky head on top.

Smell: Definitely some toasted grains on the nose, with a body of sweeter, butterscotch malt notes and finished off by just the slightest bitterness from the hops.

Taste: Follows the nose incredibly well. Flavors of crusty bread hit the tongue right away, but fill out to a body of caramel and toffee flavors just ever so lightly accented with a perfect earthy hoppiness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick mouthfeel with little carbonation and an incredibly smooth finish.

Overall: I love this beer. It's an incredibly smooth and easy to drink session ale, but has all the deep flavor complexities I want when drinking a beer. I always keep it stocked and it is my go to beer when I go to a gathering of friends. Simply impeccable.

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

fat tire is overall a very good beer smell is great, only had it in bottles havent really tried it on tap so im sure its way better but this is the kind of beer you can really just sit and drink all day and relax price range is good excellent beer try it some time

4.54/5  rDev +26.5%

One of my personal favorites

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

I love Fat Tire. Once I am more adept at examining beer critically, I will know why it is that I love it so much, and update my review then.

But for right now, I will say that it is because of the following reasons: Its rich, nutty aroma; its creamy feeling like that of a decadent, chocolate cream pie; its luxurious, opaque amber appearance and sustained, light-brown head; and its completeness of taste in that it stimulates sweet and bitter simultaneously and in precise balance between the two without lingering a second in excess.

Did I mention that I love Fat Tire.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

This american take on a belgiun ale has become a cult favorite in the rockies. The appearence is a deep amber with a foamy head. As for taste, this beer stands in a class of its own with a yeasty, irresistable flavor. This is truly a brew for all occasions.

4.52/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet paired up with a Chipotle burrito.

a - Clear, dark orange with a half inch of head.

s - Pretty strong hops aroma with a bit of caramel.

t - Sweet, malty taste with the hops coming through at the very end.

m - Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

d - Very drinkable. Its easy to see why this one is so popular.

4.52/5  rDev +25.9%

This was my first experience with this brewer and I must say I am quite impressed. Nice hops taste and mouth-feel with some complex flavors (chocolate?) and some caramel after notes. Fairly low on carbonation as evidenced by the thin head, but, tasty nevertheless. I am a fan of belgian ales, and while this really doesn't qualify (brewer's name non-withstanding), I find it to be highly drinkable in the same manner. Still on my first bottle, so this may not be sustainable, but, so far, a very enjoyable experience.

4.51/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

More into the IPAs but they did a great job on this style. Not too heavy or sweet like some amber ales.

4.51/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

love everything about this beer , except the fact that is so very hard to get in my area!
rich coopery beer with tons of flavor, malty and spicy, not to be ignore, if you get the chance to drink this beer, point blank, do it!

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Fine tasting, texture and colour!

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Picked up a bottle in Denver on a very smoky vacation this year ;)
No wonder its so popular there. It's great for a dinner drink or a session beer.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

As far as an amber goes this beer is truely exceptional. Being from Michigan I am not afforded the same priveledge of tasting this beer on tap, rather I visit family in Chicago and buy the beer in bottles. Yet, the beer itself is quite remarkable. The hoppy flavor that it claims to have is recognizable yet subtle enough to keep from detracting from the flavors that it boasts. It is far less malty than some abmbers I have tried but I feel that helps more than hurts the brew. Fat tire still retains a bright robust flavor and is apparent in both the front and the back of the beer. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is looking for an amber beer with remarkable flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Very good beer. Not too hopy.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I get so many requests for this beer down here in Florida I wish they would ship south! I was lucky to finally try this brew in a bar across from The Art Institute in Chicago. I was wunderbar! Had a nice intense reddish color. Smelled a nice fruity malts and a kiss of hops. Tasted smooth and nice on the tongue with well balanced malt and hops. A very nice addition to the awesome Guiness hamburger I had a the bar.

First time having on tap. Catinas in Houston, TX

A: Thin creamy white head. Rich orange color in body, transparent. Extremely sticky, lacey film after each sip.

S: Served in a chilled mug really masking true notes. Gummy, toasted bread notes. Warm mellow acidic fruit smell of orange.

T: Explosive notes in accordance of smell. Chewy, bready, gummy. Small traces of slightly burnt caramel malts really add to the complexion.

M: Bubbly bitter up front which makes for explosive flavor at the end even more enjoyable.

O: I finally understand why people go crazy about this beer. Way better on draft. Extremely fresh, crisp, clean and one of the most flavorful ales while perfectly balancing all the ingredients. I will not bother drinking this one in bottle again.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is currently fav beer. Love the taste

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

4.5 on draft, 3.5-4.0 in bottles.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

-the taste was bittersweet. It had elements of both in each taste which made it delightful.
-the smell was sweet and smelled like a sour/figi apple or apple cider
-it didnt have a strong hold nor a strong head
-it had a light mouthfeel.
-it also had low carbination
-the color of this beer is like a golden brown, amber color its taste and looks good!

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

A: Bright, crystal clear amber, minimal to moderate head with no lacing in glass.

S: Very slight hop smell, with a malty sweetness dominating aroma.

T: Exceptionally clean, malty with a hint of chocolate towards the end. No distracting aftertaste, and hop assertiveness is minimal.

M: Moderate mouthfeel without being too thin.

O: Excellent beer for style and well suitable for those who do not prefer an assertive hop presence. Very clean and can be an everyday goto beer.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing