Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,853 | Hads: 7,607

A: Deep red/Orange-ish.

S: Bready and Malty, almost verbatim as the brewery's description per my lack of imagination.

T: Biscuity as the label suggest, but in addition, I would suggest maybe even buttery. It's not too far a stretch to suggest, because we think butter when we think biscuits. I mean that in the best possible way. Because I'm a homebrewer, this is normally a taste I would try to avoid. For this beer though, I love it.

M: The only thing I would suggest is a slightly higher amount of carbonation, but that's just me.

O: I've not been one for food and drink pairing in the past, but I would suggest trying this with angel food cake; it works quite well; make sure it's with strawberries. This is an easy go-to beer because A) it's tasty B) easy to find in grocery stores and C) it works for me any time of the year. I definitely recommend this to beer geeks like myself and those transitioning from"beer" and what beer can actually be: tasty. (962 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

One of favorite all-around beers. When New Belgium was only available in several states I used to bring back cases from Texas to share in North Carolina with friends and family.

Appearance: Amber
Smell: Biscuits and hops
Taste: Bread and malt
Mouthfeel: Smooth and crisp
Drinkability: Great beer and it has always been on o my favorites.

Serving type: bottle (361 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

I love this beer, they nailed it on taste/color/smell (in my opinion)
I've even brewed the knock-off/clone recipe of this, it comes close but still not it (I'm working to perfect that though)
the first time I ever had it was when I was visiting a friend in Fort Collins and I've been sold on it since
Great stuff (gave it a 4.5 because it doesn't beat the fresh taste as it was in F.C.CO) (388 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

I think this is a terrific beer - great color, body, balance, flavor, and drinkability. It's a bit maltier than most, but that's a plus in my book as beers seem to be very hoppy lately.

I'm a fan of most of New Belgium's beers, and I think the "B" rating here is under estimating the beer. I'd put this on tap at home without question, if only NB distributed to New England. (375 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

One of my favorite beers! The toasted slightly yeast like flavors really come through. I definitely prefer to have it on tap or poured into a glass rather than from the bottle because it becomes a different beer altogether when it has time to breathe. (251 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +24%

First off big thanks to Dros and Willy for getting this beer to me from North Carolina all the way to Maryland via 14 hour drive.

What a interesting beer. Pored from a bottle into a pint glass after letting it sit in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the head settles theres a thin tan lacing that lasts for the duration.

The taste threw me off the first time I tried it. The second time I came to it I was a little more mature. After tastes a little sharp when chilled too much, after letting the room temp warm it up it transforms into probably my favorite beer yet. The taste resembles some sort of sugar with a strong aftertaste. Wish I could give a more educated review on this one to do it justice, but really this is a great beer to try if you can get it. (763 characters)

Once served in my "Bayern Mug":

A: Bright orange color, the foamy head looks like a snowflake with a finger thick, excellent lacing and a bike in the logo;

S: Perfumed with ground hops, some malt like toffee, and also tangerine, strawberry and bubble gum;

T: Malt, toffee, bubble gum and biscuits, the finish is slightly spicy with citrus hops;

M: Very refreshing, smooth, medium body and low carbonation;

D: Unusual beer, i feel sad for finished it very quickly. (469 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

A very drinkable beer. So far my favorite American Red Ale. The color is amazing and i will someday make it a color on my walls. I visited the brewery in November of 2010. New Belgium Brewery really cares about the beer and it is a happy employee owned company. Very fun. (271 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

Fat Tire is the beer that will make you a man, brewed in the rockies, it will make even Sam Elliot's handlebar mustache look even more badass and it will give any man who has lost his manhood back his manhood instantly with interest, the first taste is like an initiation into manhood... (287 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Beautiful amber with a nice head in the glass. Malt nose and taste -- nutty/chocolate nicely balanced with hoppy floral/citrus note. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Nice beer. On the first part of the bottle, I felt like I got malty chocolatey nutty notes in the glass more than hoppy cloral citrus notes, then, later, I felt like I got more hoppy notes. (353 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Wonderful Amber Ale. This style is by far my favorite and New Belgium nails it with a biscuity smell that I crave.

Appears darker than your average ale, strong, sweet biscuity aroma. Taste is crisp, wonderful after taste. Overall, one of the best amber ales available. (269 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

A: light copper color with a sudsy head, retained through each sip.

S: I get a lot of a fresh biscuit smell, and a nutty smell, like almond or cashew.

T: Very balanced, has a malt sweetness that is heavily characterized by the biscuit malt, and there is just enough hops to balance it out. Hops are noticeable but not overpowering. The toasty nuttiness is there, and I do enjoy the biscuit character. Definitely get the biscuit/nutty taste with this.

M: Not bad, borderline watery but still good. Carbonation levels are perfect.

D: I'm from Colorado, where Fat Tire is almost on kitchen sink tap, so I definitely have a great appreciation for this beer. One of my favorite beers to drink, and a great example of a balanced ale. Great malty sweetness with good hops. Always have them in my fridge, a truly delicious beer. (825 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time reviewer on BA. I have to lead off with my favorite adult-brewed beverage.

Introduced to Fat Tire while on business trips across the country. Savory, smooth ... became my ideal first choice whenever I left Florida. When job situation changed, I played the Smokey and the Bandit card with friends who were traveling from northern climes (mostly from GA). Even made a few road trips myself (1 hour) to grab some amber deliciousness. There had never before been a beer I was willing to drive some distance to obtain. On 29 June 2013 my quests for New Belgium's Flagship Brew became super easy as Florida welcomed Fat Tire and her band of brothers/sisters to the Sunshine State.

Fat Tire is a flavorful complement to most any meal or a refreshing excuse to break from yard work. Always maintain one six pack at the ready in the secondary fridge. (854 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +23.2%

A: Perfectly clear, amber color with a bright, printer-paper white head that sticks to the glass in nice lacing patterns.

S: Toasted bread and a touch of sweet caramel. Earth-like and Floral hops in the background, and an overall impression of freshly milled caramel malt.

T: Not complex, but delivers on all fronts. It starts with a nice caramel flavor that carries the beer through tasting. The mid-palate has a touch of floral hops, and it finishes with burt caramel.

M: Moderately carbonated and medium bodied, the beer foams somewhat on the palate while consuming.

D: Great drinkability, this is an excellent go-to beer. (629 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

I'm reviewing this after drinking fat tire for many years. I've even been to the New Belgium brewery, the highlight of my beer career. I'm a bit biased because my junior year of college Fat Tire taught me what beer could be.

Pours a clear amber with a rich white head.

Smells a bit malty, slightly bread like.

Tastes, wonderful.Nice and smooth and well balanced.

The mouthfeel is pretty great too, perfect carbonation and not too heavy.

I could drink this beer every day, it's the perfect beer to pick up when you want to drink beer just to drink beer. (558 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

New Belgium Fat Tire

A- Light clear amber with a quarter inch head that sticks around. Nice carbonation bubbles in constant rising.

S- Toasted bread is the first thought. A bit floral with a slight toffee/caramel hint.

T- A toasty slightly buttered biscuit. Very light and smooth with a bit of caramel. Perhaps a little apple? An earthy aftertaste.

M- Perfect mouthfeel. Light with just the right amount of carbonation. Finishes clean with a slight spicy aftertaste on the breath.

D- Very easy to drink. Great beer to go with any meal. Not filling. Unitimidating and enjoyable. (583 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

True amber color throughout the body of the beer. Light smell from the malts not to overpowering but smells nice. Great taste all I could ask for in an amber ale, carbonation and use of malts are accurate. Very good beer, know wonder why it's New Belgium's flagship beer. (271 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with etched "New Belgium" around the neck. Pours clear and orange in hue with a small bubbly head that leaves some lacing down the pint glass.

Aroma of very bready malt and a hint of clean grains.

A well balanced brew. Leafy hop bitters greet the palate with a lemon rind notion. Caramel malt is there with some pleasant nutty flavors. I must say I am really enjoying this beer. Pleasant flavors that work well together.

Smooth and crisp. It cannot be said any better.

As drinkable as the working day is long. A solid stand by beer that I wish was distributed in this area. Awesome session beer, unfortunately my session was limited to one. (671 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

This is an awesome amber beer. I had it on tap at a Denver Mexican restaurant in a mug about the size of my leg. Awesome orange color and foamy white head with a delicate malt aroma, the first taste of this brew is absolute quality. The light sharp hop presence and delicate malt flavor is followed by a crisp clean finish. Awesome. (335 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

One of my favorite beers of all time. While living in CO, this was a staple in my diet.

Pours a nice amber color with a good head. Deep amber. Lots of lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell is a little sweet, but very complimentary to the hop profile. Hops are fruity and sweet and very pleasing and approachable.

Probably my favorite session beer of all time. Sometimes it can get a little sweet, but all in all, a great beer to keep in your fridge for everyday consumption. (486 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This American Amber Ale poured a nice Amber color, very clear, very well carbonated. It produced a nice creamy white head. It resulted in above average amount of lacing. The aroma is malty, biscuitey and has a slight hop aroma. The taste of this beer is a nice balance of toasted malt, biscuit, and hop bitterness. Did I mention Sweet. Yes, It's sweet. I have had scores of American Amber Ale's and this by far is the best. Obviously, this is a classic craft beer. It's just as good as a session beer today as it ever was. (566 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

New Belgium's flagship brew is the best American Amber on the market today (at these of those that are somewhat mass marketed). This beer mixes a great craft flavor with a drinkability not often seen with beers of this complex flavor. Much better on tap than in the bottle, but either way is still an enjoyable experience. (322 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

I enjoyed this out of my home Kegerator, drawn on tap at 36* into a frosty mug taken straight from my freezer. It had a beautiful copper color and a three-finger head that made its way onto my upper lip, since I could barely wait to drink it. It was absolutely delicious.

This beer for me strikes a nice balance between the everyday lagers and the heavier ales and craft beers that I enjoy. I love the spices and the drinkability. It is a wonderful Autumn/Winter brew for my Kegerator; it is a substantial enough seasonal offering without being too heavy or over the top.

Many dismiss it as pedestrian, mainstream, or just the gateway to craft beers, but I respectfully disagree. I have a two-tower Kegerator, and it has firmly established a position on one side for the Fall season. (785 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured into a new belgium chalice, color is amber-copper, had is light tan and nicely frothy, some light lacing.

Smell is biscuit, light chocolate, toasty malt, with some hints of caramel; feint hop freshness.

Taste is well balanced, great mix of biscuit, toast with a light touch of chocolate and the caramel/toffee backing it up. Bitterness is light, almost perfectly balanced for this brew. There is some light fruitiness, dark and interesting from some yeast presence.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect, light carbonation just the right amount of lingering sweetness.

Overall, this is a great easy drinking beer, one of my favorite, the right amount of interesting flavors to have great flavor while being easy to drink. (726 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

my girlfriend loooves fat tire..shes a consistent gin and tonic conniseur, but this is just about the only beer she will drink. i decided to pick some up tonight and i dont regret it.

i cant get over the smell and taste of this beer. just like the label says, its nice and biscuity. good malts and hops. i remember when i first had it it reminded me of burnt toast. almost like a burnt wood scent would taste, if you can imagine.

ive grown to really enjoy this beer. good if youre looking for an interesting drink. (522 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing