Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

pDev: 30%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,880 | Hads: 7,763
4.58/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours copper, clear with a tainted foam head. Smells like malts, caramel and very little hops. Taste is rich and malty in character, caramel and herbal hops are there. This is an american red with balanced hops, not hoppy like most american ales, very sessionable and well done.

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from folly pack can (best by 1-17-16) into stemmed glass. Light amber color with white head. Low head retention.

Nose is all sweet malt; no discernible hops. Mouthfeel is medium, but doesn't add anything to the beer. Sits there without being light and crisp, but also not rich and fulfilling. The flavor is light malt with a tiny touch of hop bitterness, but not much else.

I heard great things about Fat Tire, and perhaps my bar was set too hight. I understand how this stands out from 'macro' beer, and how 30 years ago it was a revelation. Unfortunately I do not believe it is a revelation today. It's not making any big mistakes, but it's also not doing anything to win me over. I believe there are much better amber ales available and while I enjoy other New Belgium offerings, I do not see myself picking this up again.

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this might be my go to beer....never tried many ales...this one light enough but the Carmel notes after it warms up is just right for having "a few"
pored into a pint glass...nice thick head slightly tanned ..about 2 fingers. warms up nice.
finishes ...so so

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

With over a thousand reviews I am very surprised I never had this ale before especially with 2,000+ reviews under my belt. Into a pint glass

A - Amber brown color with good clarity and a 1/2 inch of head that sticks around a bit.
S - Toasted and sweet malts, mild piney hops and some biscuit goodness.
T - Good toasted malt, slightly sweet and dry with some piney hops zest. Not bad.
M - Medium bodied somewhat chewy.

Overall its a decent amber ale with a catchy name. Worth picking up!

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Second and last bottle of this one from the fall Folly pack; best-by date is November 29th, 2015.

Pours a dark gold/amber color; darker once in the glass, almost leaning toward orange especially in the spots the light hits -- there's one spot near the bottom of my glass that's coming across as this really nice bright "sunset orange" type color with the angle the lights in my apartment are hitting it from right now. Quite clear, and with lots of little bubbles rising up from the bottom. Very nice head of foam on top too, white and fluffy with a really nice texture to it. Filled my pint glass up to the rim at first, but now has shrunk to about a third of its initial size, leaving some trails behind around the edges of the glass in a few place. It's a great-looking beer.

Not especially strong smell-wise, you definitely have to get in close to the glass and sniff, but what's there is pretty nice. I'm getting mainly toasty smells from this one right away, maybe a little bit of a caramel-y sweetness mixed in there too. On one of several sniffs I picked up just a hint of piney hop in there, too, but it's pretty clear that this is a beer that leans more toward the malt side. Interestingly, toward the end of the glass the toastiness in the smell fades a bit and a fruity smell comes out more. Hops, or perhaps yeast?

Taste, like the smell, has a lot of toasty and slightly-sweet malt. Much richer and tastier than the smell would indicate, actually -- starts off milder (similar to the smell) and then the malty flavors come in pretty strong, lingering for just a bit after swallowing and then fading away. A bit of lingering toastiness at first, with some sweetness coming in along with it at around the halfway point. Burps are slightly fruity and slightly piney, interestingly -- so yeah, the hops I smelled occasionally are still there, they just can't power their way through the malt enough to be tasted much. Though now that I'm past the halfway point of the glass I'm starting to taste just a bit of hops in there, too. Basically no detectable bitterness until the tiniest hint came in on the very last little sip, though I imagine the hops are busy doing their job to balance things and keep it from seeming super sweet. Overall, it's a pretty simple flavor, but what it does, it does very well -- if you like toasty malt flavors, you will like this beer.

Mouthfeel is also really nice, and works together very well with the taste. Very smooth, soft feel to it; incredibly drinkable (I'm seriously almost having difficulty *not* taking huge gulps -- if I was in a restaurant that had this on tap, I'd order another one when I was done with the first for sure!), but at the same time it's far from feeling too thin or watery -- it definitely feels more substantial than the several pale lagers I've had recently.

Overall, this is a nice beer, one that I don't think I fully appreciated the first or second time I had it -- but now, nearly a year later, I have to say it's one that I'll probably be buying again and again in the future (though I'm sure a lot of those times will just be the two that come in every one of New Belgium's variety packs, rather than Fat Tire on its own.) It's a pretty simple beer, and not one that's an aroma/flavor explosion like some big IPA or stout, but it's one where all the features of the beer (whether you mean malt, hops, yeast, etc. or taste, feel, etc.) work together so nicely that it's hard not to like it.

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Nicola Pizza in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

This one pours a clear medium amber, with a small head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like caramel malt, toasted malt, and some slight fruitiness.

I can't believe I'm finally trying this one. It's certainly good, typical toasty/caramelly amber ale flavors, but not the most interesting beer ever. It's drinkable as it's best quality.

This is light bodied, crisp and bready, with a higher level of carbonation.

A classic, very drinkable, but there are certainly better amber ales out there.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle beer Poured into a nonic glass.

Appearance: Pours clear, dark copper to amber in color. A little carbonation with a half finger of off white foam reducing to a bubbly froth.

Aroma: I don't have a real good nose but I was getting a fresh, sweet floral smell with some maltiness.

Taste: Right off the bat it was a malty,fruity taste. Some hop flavor was coming in but it was only a little. To me the flavor is just delicious.

Mouth Feel: Nice medium bodied beer. Smooth and creamy feeling. Finish lingers.

Overall: This has become my "go to" beer. I really enjoy the fresh and smooth taste.

Light amber color. Finish is crisp and refreshing. Light body. Smells of fruit. Decent lacing on the glass. hops are present but not overwhelming. Good amber beer nothing out of the ordinary its one to try.

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Welcome to Pennsylvania - New Belgium!

Nice clear amber color, thin head dissapeared fairly fast and left nothing. Great malt aroma. Very clean crisp feel and taste, definite hop presence. Just another good, drinkable beer, in a field of many good drinkable beers.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Good American Ale. Just don't understand the fixation with
Hops. Everything today is over powered by them. That's why
I stay with the old school ales.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

L- Very pale for an Amber Ale! Only the slightest amber highlight in a golden-hued beer. Excellent clarity. Thick white head that is well retained.

S- Malt-forward aroma with some fruity esters (plum). Minimal hop presence.

T- Clean and balanced. Some caramel malt and restrained American hop.

F- Moderate body and creamy, but dries out in the finish.

O- Easy drinking, but ultimately not a lot going on here. It's a classic because it's inoffensive, but not particularly interesting.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

On draft for the Pennsylvania kick-off

A - dark amber with a clear hue. Good amount of head for a lighter beer.

S - Rich maltiness like pie crust or pecans. No intrusion, very pleasant

T - Caramel all over the place. Rich malts that coats the whole mouth with a clean and crisp finish. Wow!

F - light, sessionable feel but definitely not a pilsner or lager. It does have a body to it.

O - Welcome to PA! This stuff has been all the rave and it's finally here. Very good brew and what took you so long?! Thanks for coming out East and look forward to trying out the new brews. This beer is probably the top amber ale out there so give it a try!

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Amber/dark golden color with a thin white head. Very clear.
S - Toasty and biscuity malts are prominent with earthy and floral hops close behind.
T - Taste follows the nose pretty closely. Victory (biscuit) malt is the strongest flavor. There is also a light caramel/sweet malt flavor that is just behind the toasty and biscuity flavors. Hops are well balanced, with a earthy/floral flavor and clean bitterness that balances the sweeter malt flavors.
M - Slightly sweet with enough carbonation that keeps it from becoming cloying.
O - A little on the sweet side for me, and the biscuit notes get a little bit annoying after a while. A good beer, and certainly one that reminds me of my first beers that I ever had, but not one that I reach for very often any more.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ok so this is becoming a hipster beer quite quickly. It's pretty solid, I enjoy it; however there's nothing that makes it stand out really. It's a safe call if you're looking for an easy drinker among people who like different kinds of beer, but there are plenty of better beers.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a "craft beer" standard at this point. Restaurant and grocery stores call this craft beer, and I suppose it is technically speaking. Its Sam Adams or Blue Moon to us afficianos. Much better than most of what you will find at your local TGI Fridays, but not a special noteworthy beer.

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Why oh why do I keep coming back to this beer? I used to love this in the 90s now it's just ok. I keep thinking that this is going to be the time that I like it again and I just don't. I love the companies mission, the clean air and the employee hugging but their beer over the past couple of years has been disappointing.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

Reddish-amber brew, clear, topped by a solid light cream-colored head. Good retention.

Aroma is fairly underwhelming, carrying caramel grains and lightly grassy hops.

Smooth, malty, and nutty on the palate. Caramel, brown sugar, piney hops. Very crisp and smooth; very drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle; best by date of October 11,2015
Amber-copper-red body and thin 1/2 fingers worth of head; dissipated quickly and didn't leave much lacing, except at the original pour line.
Biscuit caramel malt sweetness on the nose, kind of reminds be a little bit of having a slight ginger snap aroma.
Taste was much better than I was expecting. Nice malt sweetness up front and then a spicy slightly bitterness on the end.
Nice mouth feel with a lower abv and a decent amount of carbonation, not much but a nice caramel sweetness on the back of the tongue.
Overall, I wasn't expecting much from this beer, I'm not sure why, but was pleasantly surprised that the sweetness on the nose isn't overwhelming and is really kept in line with a nice hoppiness on the end. This is a really delicious beer and a good choice for a hot day, especially with that low 5.2 % abv.

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.
LOOK: Pours with a quarter of a finger's worth of white foam that dissipates into a line within 20 seconds. Copper in color. Rising bubbles are subtle.
SMELL: Malty. I love it. Mild aromas of pale malts, caramelized malts, and biscuity malts combine with subtle spicy and bitter hops aromas. Not very balance, but I don't care. Call me the malt man.
TASTE: Strong biscuity malt flavors meet with mild caramelized malts to create the intial taste. Mild buttered bread (snuck by my nose), pale malt, and spicy hop flavors combine with subtle bitter hop flavors to finish off the taste as initial flavors persist.
FEEL: Medium-bodied with surprisingly high carbonation. There is a slight syrupy feel to the brew as it travels and sticks to the back of the throat. The finish would of been nice to be crisp, but it finishes with a moderate dryness instead.

2.38/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Look: Two fingers of rocky tan head evaporate before I finished typing the word "finger." Initial burst of carbonation subsides and disappears. This beer appears amber in color until it is held to the light and is revealed to be more of a copper.

Smell: Light bread and toffee. Underwhelming.

Taste: Residual sugar up front. Mid-palate of some decent roasted toffee and bread malts. Nearly no bitterness. Very straight forward.

Feel: Crisp and watery. Super light body.

Overall: I remember this being a lot better 8 to 10 years ago. Still a popular brand but I find little appeal to it. Drinks more as a (not very good) Lager than an Amber. Pretty boring.

Look: Pours a nice copper amber color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Fruity, toasty, biscuity

Taste: Fruitiness, biscuity toasted malts

Feel: Light to medium body with good carbonation

Overall: A pretty good amber ale, something I'd never turn up but might not often seek out

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours from tap into plastic cup at local bowling alley bar. Looks and smells like a lager much more than an amber. Almosy zero head. Aroma is generic beer smell with mild malty notes. Flavor is not as pronounced as i would expect from an amber. Mildly hoppy, malty, smooth but could benefit from more bitterness and hoppy notes. Overall a good beer but taste like a fancy budweiser with a few added hops.

4.06/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I’m not gunna lie. I first tried this beer when I was like 12 and it was something I sampled several times throughout my teenage years. I drank it only seldom in my adult life, but wanted to drink it again while I generate my review for it in order to ensure the most accurate review. It gives this beer a nostalgic component that might increase its overall score by a half point or so. So keep that in mind.

Look-It pours a perfect amber color (and is clear) that the Brewers really nailed. The head is off-white and 2 fingers foamy, but then settles down to a thinner layer.

Smell-The aroma is biscuit, fruity, a pinch of yeast and herbal hops that are almost imperceptible.

Taste-This crisp and drinkable beer brings joy to your body as it fills your mouth with a pleasant smoky breaded malt-forward, but inconspicuous flavor where the hops are mild and herbal.

Mouthfeel-This beer is crisp, smooth, and with mild carbonation. I would say that this brew is well-balanced and subtle. This beer is not loud and obnoxious. It is perfect and it is mild.

Overall-Like I said, this beer has a nostalgic component for personal reasons, but it is such a great go-to beer that I can’t help but give it praise. The components are all humble and quiet, but if you listen then you’ll pick up on a chorus of beauty and flavor that is unlike any other amber ale. And lastly, I must say that in the world of Amber ales, this beer has the most perfect color that the name demands.

2.23/5  rDev -38.1%

I like a few of New Belgium's beers. Tried this one. YUK! Smells sour, tastes sour, and has a slightly metallic aftertaste. WISH I had not spent the $ on it, but I thought since it was a "standard" amber ale, it would be good. Will NOT buy again.

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed from a 12oz bottle.

This is a simple amber. Not complex in the slightest. Nothing bold, crazy, or out of the ordinary. It's a refreshing beer and one that I'll come back to time and again when I don't want something complex. If you've been drinking craft for any length of time, this beer really needs no explanation.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing