2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,492 | Reviews: 1,753 | Show All Ratings:
davidvaz

Arizona

1.15/5  rDev -68%

Drank it straight out of the bottle.

This beer smells like someone stale beer in a plastic cup from the party the night before.

Tastes like someone dropped a greasy wrench in the water then brewed the beer. I dread belching and having to taste it again.

Mouthfeel low carbonation, very little aftertaste; flat finish.

Drinkability: I can barely finish one. Even though it is 3 months before the exp. date, it seems flat and on the verge of getting skunky.

I bought the variety pack to try the various Fat Tire Ales and I am very disappointed with the amber ale.

02-05-2011 04:50:12 | More by davidvaz
TheKingofWichita

1.18/5  rDev -67.1%

Pours a orange copper color with a thick yellow white head and very little lacing. Smells of malt, a little hops, and a little vanilla and citrus in there. Tastes mostly of sweet malts, rotten eggs, or something that has spoiled. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability is poor.

12-01-2010 21:11:15 | More by TheKingofWichita
kopper65

Missouri

1.48/5  rDev -58.8%

I've tried to like this beer on many occasions, but I just can't. It was actually hard for me to finish my last one, and I'm not one to like the idea of struggling to finish ANY beer. It's just way too malty and soapy for my tastes. A shame, too, because I happen to like a lot of other New Belgium styles.

11-29-2011 17:49:36 | More by kopper65
jasonpeckins32

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%

I tried this one on-tap at the Hard Rock Cafe in San Diego while on vacation. We were bar hopping and I think this was the third place I went to that suggested I try this particular beer after I asked what good craft beers they had available. So I finally decided I'd give it a whirl. To be honest, I dont have a clue what those southern californians were thinking because I was terribly unimpressed by this beer.

It had an auburn tint, transparent, with very little carbonation at all. I usually dont like quaffing flat beers and this was no exception. Not a lot of flavor, a bit bready. I'd almost just assume have a busch light if you could believe that. So for 5 bucks a pint, this wasnt one of my best purchases.

10-16-2007 03:36:58 | More by jasonpeckins32
nightcrawler

1.7/5  rDev -52.6%

Lots of people praise this beer and I had to go to a couple of stores to find a bottle. I really wish I hadn't been able to find it.

The smell is something horrid. Like the inside of a warm rubber or something. The taste was like a stale cracker or bread crust. Maybe it would go better with some kind of food, but by itself, it was not refreshing.

Sat on my stomach like a heavy brick.

09-24-2007 01:40:35 | More by nightcrawler
PaulAndrew

Arkansas

1.73/5  rDev -51.8%

I had this on a freezing winter night this past year. I heard rave reviews of it and saw countless people buying pitchers at my local wing joint and decided to give it a try. It was slightly black in appearance and tasted like gasoline. I don't feel that I received a good batch or something else was wrong with it because it didn't look the same as when i had seen it in the past. I'd be willing to give it another go if it was offered to me.

03-09-2014 08:57:39 | More by PaulAndrew
kristenspaintings

1.78/5  rDev -50.4%

This beer is slightly bitter and has very little flavor otherwise. I expected more from this beer, given how much I’ve heard about it and how often I see it around. If you don’t want your beer to interfere with tasting your food, this would be the one for you.
There’s nothing offensive about it. It was really quite disappointingly neutral. An amber ale is supposed to have more flavor I think.

01-24-2013 01:34:47 | More by kristenspaintings
mikechance

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

I have never enjoyed Fat Tire from a bottle so I tried it recently off a tap. It still does nothing for me. It is just not a good beverage. It smells a little off and funky. It tastes very flat and almost spoiled and leaves a very nasty after taste. I struggled to get a pint down. As the "flagship" beer of an excellent brewery this beer should be avoided; sample the other treats New Belgium has to offer.

04-26-2011 01:55:04 | More by mikechance
mrgrandefromage

Washington

1.83/5  rDev -49%

Before we start, I will say that this beer is much better on tap. But we're reveiwing the bottle here. Pours a pale amber with a decent head. Try not to smell this beer if you can avoid it. Smells like a compost pile. The flavor is just off. Skunky and unpleasant. In the mouth it feels like beer, but you don't really want it in your mouth because it taste so off. Not really drinkable at all. New Belgium makes much better beer than this.

04-10-2005 18:04:02 | More by mrgrandefromage
jeremyd365

1.9/5  rDev -47.1%

This is cheap beer. It tastes like it was massed produced with cheap ingredients and was pretty disappointing for a $5.99 bomber. I'm glad I split it with someone so I only had to drink half. It had decent mouth feel and appearance, but the rest was rather disappointing.

10-15-2012 23:35:24 | More by jeremyd365
mrasskicktastic

1.93/5  rDev -46.2%

A - A huge frothy white head sits on top of a clear copper brew. The hed dissipates in minutes leaving thin rings of lacing at every sip.

S - THIS is the fat tire which I have heard countless rave over? It smells of very stale grain with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg underneath. A touch of dry hay keeps it hopped. Seriously, this smells pretty awful.

T - The taste, though not great is not nearly as unpleasant as the smell. The flavor has a dry light grain, not a hint of sweetness, with an intense carbonated water aftertaste accompanied by some hay and a bit of a cinnamon presence. Not good, but drinkable at least.

M - Thin, extremely highly carbonated - it actually tickles my throat, neither drying nor particularly thirst quenching.

D - Well, I can hold my nose on the sips, so it is just a little unpleasant. Last time I listen to the masses. I'm really sad to have bought a whole six pack of this. I will not have this one again (after the other five bottles) - at least it is nice to look at . . .

09-25-2007 05:21:07 | More by mrasskicktastic
TheLiterati

1.95/5  rDev -45.7%

Bottle says best before 29 Sept 06. It's exactly a month before that date, and I'm now wondering if it's too late, or if I just have a bad bottle.

I've had Fat Tire before, both bottled and on tap, and this is NOT what I remember. Even served some from a different bottle at a tasting I hosted just a few days ago and enjoyed it much more.

The beer is beautifully amber, deep in color with a pleasant effervescence. But when I raised the glass to my nose I was repulsed by the odor of – sorry to be crass – vomit.

After backing away from the glass and letting it sit a spell, I came back to give it another whiff, and the unpleasant smell had given way to something a bit more tolerable, though for the life of me, I can’t put a name to it. Maybe molasses, a little caramel, a bit like a biscuit. But there’s still something skanky lurking under there.

I hate to waste beer, I really do, so before giving up on this one without tasting it, I grabbed some saltines to clear my palate and hoped for the best.

I take a sip and again, I’m baffled. I just don’t remember this beer tasting this way. It’s not awful – it’s just not great. While the mouthfeel is actually nice enough, the taste is just off.

I don’t know what else to say. Drinkable on tap, but the bottles seem to lack consistency in quality.

08-30-2006 04:21:38 | More by TheLiterati
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.98/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a small white head that falls fast into almost nothing. Smells sweet and has some spices in the smell. Has a brownish amber color that's very clear, almost golden. Taste reminds me of kit kat bars. Not desirable. Taste is a little woody. It's sweet flavor at first reminds me a little of an Oktoberfest. Mouthfeel is ok, a little harsh on the carbonation. Overall, I think I am happy to just try this, but I won't have too many more of these.

09-15-2007 13:52:29 | More by Erdinger2003
Vansmack

1.98/5  rDev -44.8%

I have got to tell you that I've had a fat tire on many occasions. And every single time I drink it, I feel like I'm drinking putrid lake water. I'm not sure what it is about this beer, but it's just horrible.

You're going to hear everyone rave that's is amazing belgian beer. OHHHH save me that crap. This is just tap water with a little wheat in it.

Anyone who likes this nasty beer needs to stick with their lite beers they get off on.

good nightnow!

03-27-2008 02:45:19 | More by Vansmack
dvb

Washington

1.98/5  rDev -44.8%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Color is amber, but not far off from that of a "fizzy yellow" American lager. Nice 1" white head which quickly settled to just a thin layer. Nice lacing.

S - Not much to smell here.

T - Reminds me of Leinenkugel's amber, but perhaps a little more bready. More like a watered-down Sam Adams Boston Lager. I can drink Sam's, but this is tough.

M - Thin and solvent-like. Somewhat astringent. Average carbonation.

D - I have only two bottles of this stuff left and I am tempted to give them away. I just don't care for this stuff.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of the style, but this recipe needs work.

02-12-2010 03:50:23 | More by dvb
BigB415

Sometimes I forgot I was drinking a Fat Tire and thought I was drinking a Coors Light. The only thing for me that stood out was the lacing which was pretty heavy. When I took a sniff I got flat decarbonated smells to go with a taste that matches coors. It felt flat and it didn't have much flavor. This is a very popular beer but I'm glad other people like it. Not something I'd buy again.

02-19-2011 01:05:00 | More by BigB415
spacholl

2.03/5  rDev -43.5%

poured with small head that disipated immediatly. no lacing. the color is correct as an amber light to medium.

smells of boiling wort. like wet catfood. the malted barley really stands out.

tastes of malted barley. little to no hops except towards the end. were is the hoppy freshness they talk about on the lable?

light to medium carbonation seemed proper.

I can drink one but just not to my pallet. can't get passed the wet pet food sense of taste and smell. I'm sorry maybe I got a bad batch.

03-22-2009 02:10:27 | More by spacholl
drugsbunny

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

"Not impressed" seems to cover it. I had this on tap out West, but I drank it after I had been drinking some glorious Sierra Nevada, fresh as I ever get it in New York. So this hop-less amber was a big disappointment. Nice red color though, but I wasn't taking pictures of this beer. If you drink Fat Tire, make sure you don't do so after drinking some wonderful hoppy beer. Otherwise all you get is a cloying sweet taste that was too much for me to even finish it. Skip this amber for many other worthy examples.

08-03-2006 13:43:27 | More by drugsbunny
rye726

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Nice amber color with a tan foamy head.

Nose is all over the place and lacks any sort of balance.

Taste is very similar to smell. So many off flavors, It should be called Trash Tire.

Light body and carbonation.

03-28-2008 19:16:26 | More by rye726
Crosling

2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

After tasting this stuff for the first time in 2 or 3 years, it really did remind me of Devil’s Advocate. Fat tire isn’t quite as terrible as the DA, but it’s still pretty disgusting. Medium gold in color. Bland, tough and husky aroma with hints of biscuits and caramel in the nose. I really don’t understand how people can say Fat Tire is balanced. It tastes of grain husk. Did it get significantly less hoppy over the years?

03-25-2006 02:51:22 | More by Crosling
nathi

2.1/5  rDev -41.5%

This beer is available everywhere here, and is often the only micro. And when it is....I drink bud. I really hate this beer. The aroma is funky. Not like rich malt, and although it used to, now has no hops or interesting esters to balance the funky aroma that I suppose is toasty, but for some reason comes off kinda vomit like to me. The taste starts off decent but ends with this lingering, cloying sweetness that just dosnt have the richness to be pleasent. Just flat, boring, and unpleasant to me. Like drinking unfermented wort. It needs something there to balance it. Just seems to sit on the tongue.

At least it is pretty.

But, if New Belgium can continue to sell tons of this stuff and be able to keep brewing the intense stuff like their trippel, la folie, mars, etc (not to mention the upcomming collaboration with a certain belgian brewery of some fame), more power to them.

Love the brewery....hate the beer.

10-24-2002 16:30:29 | More by nathi
scottfrie

2.1/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle in SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a light amber with hints of yellow-orange with a big foamy off-white head that slowly receded into a thin film that left impressive rings of lace down the glass.
S: Not picking up much, but is there isn't bad. Light notes of caramel malt, faint grassy hops, and a touch of grain.
T: Flavor is a sweet metallic coppery blast of syrupy malt and sour hops. Aftertaste is off putting. This is synthetic tasting.
M: Carbonation is very low and the mouthfeel is medium and slick. Body is syrupy.
D: Looks good, smells okay, but man no matter how many times I try this beer it still has that same nasty taste. NB other offering are usually fairly decent albeit not earth shattering, but I don't see how their staple beer has such a following.

10-02-2010 05:43:04 | More by scottfrie
Olivia55555

2.13/5  rDev -40.7%

The golden amber color of this beer is really appealing and beautiful. The carbonation is low and the mouthfeel is really light and a bit watery. This beer is kind of a bitter/sweet combo, but more on the bitter side. It has a clean aroma with a little spice from the yeast.

01-20-2012 04:27:01 | More by Olivia55555
schellsbeer

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

One word...OVERRATED!!!

In a few years, the hype will be over. This is by far not the best New Belgium has to offer. Everthing about this beer is average or below. Taste...what taste. There is hardly any. Don't get me wrong, this beer is very drinkable...if you like plain water. However, I found this beer to have little if at all any taste to it. Boring is what I call it. Now, some of their other beers, I like. This one, yeah....not so much. Come on people, get some taste buds. Expand your beer drinking vocabulary. Popular...yes, high priced...yes, worth the money...heck no!

Cool label though. Enough said.

03-04-2009 05:30:21 | More by schellsbeer
corpulent

Nevada

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Why this is so popular I don't know. This is like the trendy beer of the month. I'm guessing it serves as the crossover beer for those lesser individuals who drink Coors and Bud all the time. Makes 'em feel fancy to drink a "microbrew."

"Whoa, this is strong, so many flavors," they say.

Sure, compared to the swill (am I saying this correctly, I am saying that only a swine would drink this beer) they usually drink, Fat Tire is amazing.

And so:
Light orange fizz. Perfumey. Bubbly. Biscuity.

03-25-2010 16:56:30 | More by corpulent