Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,566 | Reviews: 1,948
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

This is one fine beer. I'd heard so much hype about it that I was hesitant to even waste my time. My duh.

Pours a nice-looking orange-gold, with a huge frothy foamy head of miniscule bubbles. Even the foam tastes great. The foam gradually dissipated into separate but still foamy islands.

Taste-- very nice, malty up-front, little carbonation annoyance, nice bouquet, hint of hops but not very bitter. A nice bouquet of flavors that are subtle, not overdone. It's more of an ale than amber, nearly bordering on ale with some amber to it.

It's not overly filling or bloating, so this would be a great one for session. I missed my chance to try it on-tap while traveling throughout the northwest USA (or at least I've forgotten if I had any), but I will be sure to grab this at the next available tap I see.

Definitely "way up there" on my list of more or less traditional US beers that are actually worthwhile.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

This is surely to become an American classic session beer along with Alaska Amber to join the SNPA ranks. It is a nice dark gold colour with fine hoopy nose. What makes this beer for me is the drinkability combined with an attention to flavour and hops. I always want just one more sip with this beer and that my friends is a good thing.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly hazed yellow/copper color with a fluffy beige head that left lots of lacing on the glass.

S - nutty, malty aroma.

T - hazel nut and light cocoa flavors with a light bitterness on the finish.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

D - goes down easy, a few could be had.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

The wait behind this beer helps make the story. I first had this beer in San Antonio back in spring of 2005 at this restaurant up the road from the Alamo right along the famous River Walk. $4.50 for 22oz, all paid for by the company budget. They went down like water and were among the most enjoyable beers I had ever had at the time. Just under five years later, a friend of my father's brought a case of this back from Colorado today. Finally, a chance to review it.

A: Clear with a thin white head, the color a perfect amber.

S: Sweet and biscuity, with a tiny floral note to the nose.

T: Biscuity malts with a little bit of pepperiness. Mild hops help to balance it and stick to the back of the throat leaving a very pleasant lingering bitterness. While it's not quite as sweet as I remembered it being on draft, it's a very mild beer.

M: Medium body with a very smooth feel.

D: With a great balanced taste and smooth body, this really has the potential to be an amazing session beer. Hopefully this winds up out on the east coast some day.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Very nice toasty/spicy nose...pours a lighter orange with a creamy 1/4 inch head on top..rims glass nicely...the body at first is medium and firm but the finish is a bit watery and thin...I like the taste on this....nice toasty maltiness and a spicy subtle hop profile...they mesh very nicely...would seem to make a nice session beer....

My first try of New Belgiam and I'm relatively impressed. I know this is meant to be one of their more dumbed down beers, but actually I think it has some qualities beer gurus will enjoy..Very solid Amber Ale I would buy again..

A big thanks to BDitty187 for this enjoyable new brew...

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Fat Tire pours a dark, deep, crystal clear amber-red. A large off-white head slowly decreases over the course of the beer leaving a wonderful, sticky lace.

Smell: A strong caramel, woody malt undertone that was accompanied by a faint fruitiness

Taste: Similar to the smell. Caramel malt and nuttiness are the main notes on this brew. I expected a bit of a hop bitterness at the end but instead I was greeted by a nice, spicy sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Way too thin for the taste of this beer. Reminded me of rusty tap water at times and put me off of this beer. By and far Fat Tire's weakest point.

Drinkability: Would be very easy to drink these if not for the thin mouthfeel. After two or so I am put off by the thinness.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Presented partly cloudy orange-rust with a thin layer of light-tan head at the NBB tasting room in the brewery. Smells biscuity with a touch of citrus. Caramel and toast.

Tastes very bready doughy with biscuit and caramel malts. Some toasted character and a bit of a citrus finish that I take to be hops. Not quite grapefruit, but not quite orange either. Md light body and a touch dextrinous in the mouth. Modest carbonation. Simple, tasty, and unique. Just an all around nice beer. Much better fresh at the brewery than from a store-bought bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Fat Tire is a well-established name here in California, tho its accessibility is next-to-naught outside of the Western US.
We pour it on-tap at my workplace, and it always gives a nice, creamy head. The color is a clear amber, with red overtones. Not much scent other than that of malt, but admittedly I usually taste this before I sniff.
The selling point of this beer is the roasting & toasting of the malts New Beligium adds to their signature brew. I personally can't get enough toasted malt in my beer, which is what keeps me coming back for more. There is some hop presence, enough to please purists, but not overpowering enough to keep this from being a great "session beer". The carbonation also sticks with it enough through the end of a pint to keep the first sip as enjoyable as the last.
All the NB products I have tried have been great, but keep coming back to the Fat Tire due to its exceptional drinkability & malt flavor...making this my go-to beer in bars & restaurants which don't go out of their way to please beer geeks like myself.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

12oz can into a snifter (I started with a heavier stout so I kept the glass the same)

A: Pours a perfect amber with a small head that fades quickly leaving a small amount of lacing on the glass as you drink.

S: The nose is mostly caramel malt and sweet bready grain. Nothing crazy but just plain good.

T: The taste is loads of sweet caramel malt, light toffee, and I swear I detect the slightest coffee flavor...maybe something like a slightly watered down frapachino with a lot of caramel in it (that sounds worse than it tastes).

M: The feel is slightly creamy and medium-light bodied.

D: This has always been a favorite and it's just as good if not better out of the can. If I see this on draft in a predominantly BMC bar I don't think twice about ordering it.

I love this trend of canning beers and look forward to hopefully being able to buy other New Belgium beers in the can in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

started getting the cans a little while back. i am glad to see them. they go in pockets and backpacks well. twelve ounce can pours clear light amber color. one finger tan head. some lacing. looks good.

toasty and biscuit malts. some fruit hops in there as well.

caramel malty sweet. citrus fruit hops also. dry bitter fruit aftertaste. fits within style.

mid body. good carbonation. i like this better than the bottle. seems to have a little more depth. i will continue to buy this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Had a medium amber color with a 1/2 finger of head. Had a pleasant malty smell. The taste was slightly malty and spicy, not overly complex, also very pleasant. Super smooth. Very enjoyable. This is definately going on my favorites list.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Good light copper appearance. Medium head that disappears quickly. No lacing. Toasted malt flavor. Hint of chocolate and peanut butter...? I'm not sure where I'm getting that from but I swear I am. Big biscuity flavor and still some peanut butter but it's very faint. Good fruitiness to it. Nice hoppy balance. This is a well balanced beer. Very smooth and a little hoppy on the palate. Enjoyable beer that's easy to drink.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

This ale pours a nice amber color with a good whitish head with little retention. The aroma is of hops and a bit more of malt. It has a nice hoppiness to it, a bit strong and earthy and finishes clean. It's decent bodied and rather smooth. I can't drink these all the time!

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

A: A nice copper color. Clear. Decent head that dissipates quickly, but the lacing is nice.

S: Caramel notes and roasted malts.

T: A nice clean tasting beer without being hoppy. Had a great red ale profile and flavor.

M: Moderate amount of carbonation.

D: Easy to drink.

Will buy plenty of this and may become a mainstay in the household.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz bottle pored into a mug. this pores a clear copperish color. nice white fluffy head with good retention and lacing.

i'm just getting over a cold so it's a little hard to catch all the aroma. this smells like a freshly baked batch of cookies. chocolatey, biscuity, doughy, bready, and some earthly hops.

taste is just about the same as the smell.

full bodied and slightly thick.

great beer. easily drinkable and something that won't hurt the macro crowd as well.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Picked up a six pack of this near S.F. when I had nothing else to do. Over the course of a few days my opinions swayed a bit, but overall this is a nice beer that is most definitely drinkable. It has a reddish amber color and a thin head. Taste was what varied, ranging from nice roasted malty slightly bitter slightly sweet complex concoction to eh that's nice but not interesting. Weird that one six pack could have such a spectrum of tastes.

I had this on draft a while back and loved it. Too long ago to review now, but the bottles in no way compared to the keg experience.

4.11/5  rDev +14.5%

I live on the East coast, so this is not something I can easily get my hands on. I have heard from several of my fellow beer aficinado's that this is certainly a favorite out west, so when I got the chance to try it, I was all over it. I think I was expecting too much from it...

Beautiful amber color when poured into a glass. Very clean smell, almost sweet, and a solid head with small to medium sized bubbles/lacing.

Taste was a very nice balance of malt and hops... I think a relatively strong hoppy aftertaste compared to other ambers, but not at all unpleasant.

This brew goes down easy. Not too strong, so you don't have to worry about it sneaking up on you as you will be following it up with another, and another.

4.11/5  rDev +14.5%

This has been my staple for 5+ years now. I was introduced to Fat Tire by a family member when I moved to N.C. I was a Budweiser only drinker. Now I will try a lot of different beers, but I always come back to this one. Can't wait until the new brewery is built in Asheville so I can take a tour!

4.11/5  rDev +14.5%

Now here is a beer I have been dieing to try. I have heard only good things. I was not dissapointed. It pours a deep amber color that makes one know there will be a fine maltiness to the brew. The smell is not the best for a beer of this quality and gives off a note of roasted malt that overcomes all the other aromas. Not even entirely sure where it comes from.
The taste though, is what got me hooked. I never expected this beer to be as big as it was. There is a lot of slepndid malt to this brew, and if you are a fan of the "big boy" beers, you'll really enjoy this one.

4.11/5  rDev +14.5%

From a 22oz bottle marked "Commemorative-Taking Flight in NC"
Copper pipe color with a flax colored 2 finger head. Bubble a bit fizzy-not like pop(soda) but definitely active. Clinging lacy strands of foam stick around. This brew is clear as a spring day.

Smell is mild but appealing sweet and malty with just a little snap of floral in the background. Not super expressive; not a bar- it-all-in-your-face style. More like a quick glimpse of thigh and lace that coyly intrigues you to want more.

The taste is what happens behind those closed doors--after you've been together for 5 years. It's good, it makes you want more, but it's not gonna leave you gasping for breath or hunting for you clothes later. Malts take charge with hoppy lightly floral background notes. Somewhere in the mix is a bit of toasty caramel, but this was like finding Waldo--I really had to pay attention to pick it out.

Good carbonation prickled my tongue and the slightly oily mouthfeel made it even easier to down this quickly. Smooth, with a dryish finish, I had no recourse but to grab my glass again almost as soon as I had set it down.

To me, this was balanced and a good idea of what I could expect from this style. Honestly, my bomber when down way too quickly.

Tasty, easy to drink, enjoyable and refreshing. Right on the money for this style, I think. Fat Tire will be a staple--even if I "have" to buy it in bombers. Thanks for giving NC a Fat Tire, New Belgium!

4.11/5  rDev +14.5%

My go to beer. Great for every season, light feel, not light on taste. Good ale smell. Not to sweet, yet you can tell just by the aroma that your taste buds are going to have a wonderful experience.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from tap into a pint glass. Good looking amber color with a nice head and good lacing. The smell was slightly floral with strong malty goodness. It had a great malt taste with a mild sweetness and a slight hoppy end. Good body to the beer. All and all I thought it was a well done beer.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

Again I have to credit good friend, colleague and fellow beer enthusiast Rafael Bernal for this fantastic gift. I held back from trying it for a few days- my plan was new year's but then i fell asleep- so I popped it today as an ode to my (oh so happy) 1 week vacation.

I like this beer from all perspectives. The pour looks good, a cristal orange hue with a fantastic, tall white head and tonnes of lacing. some fizz within, not too much though.

While the smell doesn't fill the room or is abundant in any way, it is indeed its most complex and intriguing attribute. it morphs somewhat and makes you have to process it for a while. At first it was a dominant cumin like feel, very spicy. maybe even a pure cacao (the non-sweet, 100% pure type). Then again, you go smell it again and it feels like some caramel, some fruitier notes. indeed, complex.

The taste is also very good. It is soft, much unlike what i expected for the beer, but it holds all things good about american beer- a caramel-hop duo, very soft and refreshing, blending and complementing a complex smell. it is very light but by all means tasty. and in spite of a low abv, it has a perceibable boozy undertone that is only complimentary to the whole deal.

Indeed very drinkable, very enjoyable year round. can't wait to get my hands on more New Belgium.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

I had this one on-tap at the Roadhouse Bar & Grill.

A: An amber colored beer with lots of carbonation. A milky whitehead slowly dissipates as it is consumed.

S: Smell is not intense, but sweet malt can be whiffed throughout.

T: Sweet malt taste can be enjoyed throughout with a hint of hop flavoring. The carbonation also helps this one taste great throughout. This beer is definitely reminiscent of a belgian ale, but not as yeasty or having intense alcohol flavor.

M: Light and very carbonated. Not thick, but what you would expect from an ale.

D: Easily drinkable as the ABV is only 5.2%. A definitive, easy session beer.

I had this one in a bottle after I first moved back to the mainland. After hearing much hype form a close friend, I had to try it. I was not impressed during my first session with the beer. But as I gave it more time, I began to really enjoy it. It really grew on me. And now that I had it on-tap, I really can say this is a great brew and a good choice from those who are locked in a bar or restaurant who only sells the usual suspects. So much so, that when I finished my initial 16oz pint, I then ordered a 32oz to enjoy with the rest of my dinner.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Copper, golden amber color, decent sized white head with lacing around the cup

Smell: Hops, malty, almost a good yeasty smell, roasted nutty hints

Taste: malt flavors, nutty, earthy

Mouthfeel: Clean, well balanced, not too heavy of carbonation

Overall: Delicious! Full flavored, all around great qualities, doesn't lack in any area of in any significance

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing