Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
3.6

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Reviews: 1,953 | Ratings: 8,189
4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Light copper color with thin/slightly creamy head
S- Toasted biscuity smell with hint of citrus/grass hops
T- Definite biscuit taste but also some flower/wheat taste as well
M- Medium bodied nice aftertaste
D- Easy to drink and seems to work well in warm as well as cold environments

Fat Tire is one of my favorites. I've been drinking this since it first came out when we lived in Ft Collins. It has slowly moved East in its distribution and has finally appeared in Chicago but alas we are moving to Atlanta. I hope it is available there sometime soon. The flavor and body just feel right to me. It has a medium body with a slight red tint and a nice slightly creamy head. There is enough hop flavor to cut through and let you know they are there. Easy to drink and equally good on a warm summer day or a cool fall evening.

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

I remember about ten years ago when it seemed that this beer got too popular for its own good and you could find it everywhere. I think I drank a few cases one summer when I was first drinking beer- it was one of the first craft beers I developed a taste for and then I got tired of it. I had one for the first time in years at an Indian restaurant that didn't have great selection and was pleasantly surprised. Sure it's nothing earth shattering but in an approachable way its actually remarkably complex. What we have is a Belgian influenced American take on a classic English style: a big biscuity sweet malty body hopped just a little heavier and pinier than an English beer with that weird funky Belgian yeast flavor. And it comes together and makes sense. Not too shabby.

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a copper orange color, low foam, minimal lacing.

Smell is bready, malty, biscuity - very pleasant and makes you want to drink this brew.

I find this to be quite tasty - the malt dominates with very little hop prescence. There's something at the finish I can't quite place, but I know I like it. Smooth, light, refreshing. VERY drinkable, if I could get these in CT more easily, I wouldn't limit myself to 1 per sitting.

a 22oz bomber poured into a regular pint beer glass

A: A great Amber copper color, 2 finger head, good carbonation.

S: Sweet hoppy flavor.

T: Maybe tastes a bit flat(in a good way i guess), but quite unique taste!

M: Carbonated well, lots of bubbles on the tongue.

D: Can't drink a whole lot, would rather switch it up during the night, but tastes great. a very unique flavor. and also one that friends back in iowa are getting into. which they only drink bud light. so very great! i will buy again, and also have drank a lot of!

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Copper color with a nice fluffy white head good laceing. Sweet butter biscuit, slight bit of hops for the smell. The taste much like the smell biscuits with sweet butter carmal malt, slight hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is kinda thin but no biggie for this amber ale. The one thing I like most about this amber ale is the sweet butter biscuit that it does so well that many other amber ales don't have. it makes it a little more then just caramal malts like most amber ales.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Had a pint at Outback Pub in Branson, MO. Dark amber with creamy off white head.

Smells of dried fruit and spices.

Tastes of rich dark caramel without being overly sweet, but it is sweet. No sign of hops, all malts here.

Good presence in the mouth with more body than I anticipated. Pretty smooth.

I could drink quite a few of these. Share this with an inexperienced beer drinker and they'll probably be impressed.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A classic, and an old favorite revisited here for review purposes.
Pours an attractive golden, with a big and frothy head.
This flagship New Belgium amber ale boasts of a fine nose that recalls biscuity yeast and a slight fruit undertone.
Taste is malty and bready, like toast with a hint of spice.
Enjoyable and an easy drinker.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

New Belgium's flagship ale delivers a clear amber body beneath a billowing head of white froth that holds well and leaves beautiful Brussels-lace about the glass. The nose welcomes you with toasty and sweet malt, and that's exactly what you'll find in the flavor. It's malty... toasty, biscuity, and ever so slightly caramelish; laced with gently spicy and delicately floral hops; and backed by a firm bitterness that grounds it before it fades in a short lingering finish. It's an enjoyable, well-rounded, and drinkable ale that makes a great introductory beer for your friends who are used to American adjunct lagers and the golden "pilsners" from Canada, Mexico, and Europe; and it pairs well with a wide variety of foods such as grilled chicken, pasta primavera, soft-flavored semi-hard cheese (Fontina, Muenster, etc.), and French toast and eggs.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

pours a orangish/amber with a small white head. smells lightly fruity with citrus hops rising up. taste wise...big biscuity flavor, toasted malt paired with a really nice citrus hop rush ending on a dry lightly fruity note all delivered on a crisp and a somewhat dry, grainy mouthfeel. very tasty, refreshing and nothing to really not like. a great session beer and affordable to boot. one of my most frequent purchases because it always fits the bill.

$5.99-6.99 a 6er.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Very clear burnished bronze in colour with a big fluffy white head. Lacing in abundance. Looks pretty good.

Biscuits or crackers? Unique malty aroma that manages not to seem sweet. Something a little yeasty, and some herbal aromas. Interesting.

In the taste, the biscuits are lightly toasted and have a little caramel on them. A semi-sweet flavour through most of the mouth. Hops are there, not overdone, but notable, well in balance. Hard to pin down one word to describe the hops.

Smooth, medium body, the carbonation works just right to keep this an easy drinker. Fairly dry, it leads to the next sip quickly.

As far as ambers go, this one really suits my tastes. I can't think of many beers that are more drinkable than this. Big thanks to orrshow for leaving me a bomber of this to try.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

I had the opportunity to sample this brew at the brewery in CO. It was poured into a 4 ounce glass along with several other samples (different glasses fortunately).

It pours a rich golden brown/amber color. The nose is very distinct, fresh bread, dough, biscuit or crackery could all be used to describe it.

The taste is nice and rich -- not fully Belgian, but delcious nonetheless. This is not a hoppy beer. The beer feels nice on the palate, and is not overly carbonated.

It is very drinkable -- a dozen or so in a sitting would be nice over a long afternoon or evening. It's not really a golf course beer, but I had a couple during a round.

I certainly wish this beer was available East of the Mississippi River.

Cheers.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a tasty looking copper color with a perfect two finger white head. Nice and mellow aromas of grain and some mild malt. Taste is the distinctive amber ale with crisp malt and grain, as well as some earthy dough and light tang. Super drinkable and something I wish I could pick up more often.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

The first time I had this out of a bottle, I wasn't impressed. This was especially true after enjoying it so many times on draft. I must've had a bad bottle because this came equipped to impress.
Appears a glowing amber with a frothy 2 finger white head. Tons of sticky white lacing clings to the glass. Medium streams of carbonation bubbles come rising to the top.
Smell is of sweet biscuity malts and grain.
Taste is of sweet, toasted biscuits backed with a fresh, hoppy bite.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well rounded as the sweetness fades into a crisp, hop finish.

Finger licking good.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A- orangish colored, two finger head, lightly carbonated, plenty of sticking.

S- Very malty, floral and citrus notes, doughy/yeasty (bready)

T- The taste carries through but in a smaller dose than the smell. It has a great taste without being overly anything. Just a great all around, tastey beer! Leaves a dry pastey taste on the tongue. Very biscuity aftertaste.

M- Medium body, decnt carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. This beer is very different than what i recall. I could and would have more than just a few of these. Overall a good easy drinking beer.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Copper colored ale with a small white head on top, crystal clear, decent lacing, lots of carbonation. Aroma is bready, cracker-like almost, with a hint of herbal, earthy hops. Taste follows suit with the nose. Definite biscuit malt character in this one, slightly sweet in the middle, woody, earthy hops, and a dry finish. Very, very easy to drink, lower end of medium bodied. This is the beer I credit with getting me into craft beers. Still does the trick for me. Nothing special, but tasty indeed.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

How could a brown ale be so good?
This was one of the top things I looked forward to doing/ trying on my trip from Baltimore to Las Vegas. The smoothest most flavorful brown ale out there. A lot of flavor but not enough to knock your mouth out. The constant head gives it a great aroma through the entire drink. Just the right amount of malt and hop flavors.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A: amber red color filtered with a thin 1 finger width off white head and thin lacing on glass.
S: sweet caramel molasses malt aroma with spices and hops blended very well in the nose.
T: a sharp sweetness in the front followed by light mixture
of aromatic and bitter hops a good mix nontheless.
M/D: light bodied and the sweetness really hits the mouth hard. Altogether a good drinkable beer great anytime you really jut want a cold one.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured amedium amber color with moderate slightly off-white puffy head.
Smell is significant for caramel with some light hop backtones.
Taste also presents with some strong caramel notes with only a very mild hop influence,
Finish is more of the sweet caramel malt, and is very refreshing.
A very easy-to-drink beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Deep reddish coloring with some head.

S- Definitely a malty smell. You can smell some hops, but definitely more malty than hoppy.

T- A very crisp taste with a great mixture of malts and hops. Goes down very smoothly.

M- Smooth, tingly feel. Very smooth beer. Doesn't really have a bitter aftertaste.

D- Extremely drinkable beer. Goes down like candy.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

This is one fine beer. I'd heard so much hype about it that I was hesitant to even waste my time. My duh.

Pours a nice-looking orange-gold, with a huge frothy foamy head of miniscule bubbles. Even the foam tastes great. The foam gradually dissipated into separate but still foamy islands.

Taste-- very nice, malty up-front, little carbonation annoyance, nice bouquet, hint of hops but not very bitter. A nice bouquet of flavors that are subtle, not overdone. It's more of an ale than amber, nearly bordering on ale with some amber to it.

It's not overly filling or bloating, so this would be a great one for session. I missed my chance to try it on-tap while traveling throughout the northwest USA (or at least I've forgotten if I had any), but I will be sure to grab this at the next available tap I see.

Definitely "way up there" on my list of more or less traditional US beers that are actually worthwhile.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

This is surely to become an American classic session beer along with Alaska Amber to join the SNPA ranks. It is a nice dark gold colour with fine hoopy nose. What makes this beer for me is the drinkability combined with an attention to flavour and hops. I always want just one more sip with this beer and that my friends is a good thing.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly hazed yellow/copper color with a fluffy beige head that left lots of lacing on the glass.

S - nutty, malty aroma.

T - hazel nut and light cocoa flavors with a light bitterness on the finish.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

D - goes down easy, a few could be had.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

The wait behind this beer helps make the story. I first had this beer in San Antonio back in spring of 2005 at this restaurant up the road from the Alamo right along the famous River Walk. $4.50 for 22oz, all paid for by the company budget. They went down like water and were among the most enjoyable beers I had ever had at the time. Just under five years later, a friend of my father's brought a case of this back from Colorado today. Finally, a chance to review it.

A: Clear with a thin white head, the color a perfect amber.

S: Sweet and biscuity, with a tiny floral note to the nose.

T: Biscuity malts with a little bit of pepperiness. Mild hops help to balance it and stick to the back of the throat leaving a very pleasant lingering bitterness. While it's not quite as sweet as I remembered it being on draft, it's a very mild beer.

M: Medium body with a very smooth feel.

D: With a great balanced taste and smooth body, this really has the potential to be an amazing session beer. Hopefully this winds up out on the east coast some day.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Very nice toasty/spicy nose...pours a lighter orange with a creamy 1/4 inch head on top..rims glass nicely...the body at first is medium and firm but the finish is a bit watery and thin...I like the taste on this....nice toasty maltiness and a spicy subtle hop profile...they mesh very nicely...would seem to make a nice session beer....

My first try of New Belgiam and I'm relatively impressed. I know this is meant to be one of their more dumbed down beers, but actually I think it has some qualities beer gurus will enjoy..Very solid Amber Ale I would buy again..

A big thanks to BDitty187 for this enjoyable new brew...

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Fat Tire pours a dark, deep, crystal clear amber-red. A large off-white head slowly decreases over the course of the beer leaving a wonderful, sticky lace.

Smell: A strong caramel, woody malt undertone that was accompanied by a faint fruitiness

Taste: Similar to the smell. Caramel malt and nuttiness are the main notes on this brew. I expected a bit of a hop bitterness at the end but instead I was greeted by a nice, spicy sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Way too thin for the taste of this beer. Reminded me of rusty tap water at times and put me off of this beer. By and far Fat Tire's weakest point.

Drinkability: Would be very easy to drink these if not for the thin mouthfeel. After two or so I am put off by the thinness.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing