Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,865 | Hads: 7,674
4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

The strong aroma on this prepares you for hop and malt overload. Luckily it's all for nothing and while the taste is well balanced, it is not too much. It is flavorfull, but does taste slightly watered down. Good looking frothy head that lasts a little while and leaves some lacing on the way down. I enjoyed this beer but probably will not buy again. Cheers. (359 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a copper-orange with a slightly tan two-finger head.

Smells very yeasty and sweet. Reminds me of toast for some reason. Maybe a little bit of some dark fruits.

The taste is very sweet initially, but has a bit of hop bitterness in the back. Kind of yeasty, but not too much. Overall I'd describe the taste as pleasant, but altogether nothing very exciting going on.

I'm a little bit disappointed in the mouthfeel. If this were a bit more carbonated it'd be very nice, but it just feels flat and plain. Still pretty drinkable. (533 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

I was told I would like this beer before I tried it. My buddy was right. It comes in a neat bottle with glasswork around the neck and a swell drawing of a bicycle. The aroma is of hops and fresh corn (wierd I know, but thats what it smells like). The corn aroma continues with the flavor and tastes like grilled corn. It is slightly sweet but rounded well with hops. I could drink this beer all day and be quite happy. (418 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

The beer pours a dark-ish amber color into the glass with only about a finger or so of head at the top which dissipated quickly.

The only smell that really stands out is a nice sweet malt aroma.

Mouthfeel is alright, and I really enjoy the taste of this. Nice and refreshing maltiness that I liked immediately.

This is an all around tasty beer thats good for putting a few down on a relaxed night. I like malty ales and this is one that goes down smooth and has very little problems with it. It might not be exceptional, but it sure isn't sub par. (556 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Nice one finger white head, clear amber in color. Lively in carbonation with nice head retention and great lacing

First smell is of some piny hops. Also some sweet malts and very faint alcohol aroma

First taste is of sweet roasted malt with some toffee or caramel. Very faint hop taste with a tiny bit of bitterness smoke at end.

Nice balance of carbonation. Light , smooth, and sweet going down.

Fat tire was one of the first craft beers i tried and still one of my favorites. Highly drinkable session beer. Great flavors from one of my favorite breweries, highly recommend everyone to give it a try (604 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. ("Now Voluntarily available in Tennessee" edition) bomber into a pint glass....

Appearance:

Pours out a nice medium brown with a hint of red with a frothy white head. Nice lacing forms as well down the glass.

Smell:

I smell a sweetness from the malt, almost fruity, as well as definite yeast.

Taste:

Toasted malt, tastes like warm bread. A slight bitterness in the aftertaste, but not that much.

Mouthfeel:

Fantastic. So smooth in the mouth and goes down easy. Carbonation is perfect. Perfect score in this area for me.

Overall, this is a fantastic session beer. Not the best beer in the world and some would say overhyped, but I think it deserves all the praise it gets. Well balanced, sooo drinkable, and down right tasty. Bravo New Belgium. (776 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

It was great... I was so excited to find it while I was out here on my trip to the Northwest... Great Malty flavor... actually tasted like the clone I made a few years back... so that was exciting... good stuff... I am glad to have had a chance to have it and hope that it makes it out to the east coast soon! (309 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Clear and a nice copper color with a persistent off-white head
S - No noticeable hop pretense...bready, cereal malt...very mild esters
T/M - Flavors match well with the aromas. A nice malt sweetness on the bready/cereal side. Hops aren't a predominant player outside the balance they provide. Carbonation is moderate and pleasant.

This is a very lovely beer, not just for the solid craftsmanship but also for being one of my gateway beers. While it may not be my favorite it is a solid goto beer. (504 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%

A - Rich, clean reddish color, slight head. A refreshing looking beer.

S - Carmel with a hint of wildflowers; overripe honeysuckle from a distance.

T - A little woodsy and wild. Sweet at the front of the tongue with strong malt flavor overshadowing all at the back. Little aftertaste other than a slight molasses taste.

M - Crisp at the start, but a little thick going down -- heavy malt and bread taste almost makes it like eating good pancakes with maple syrup. Perhaps too thick for some, but a good feeling if you like that sort of thing.

D - I could drink this for awhile, it is flavorful enough to not get boring but refreshing enough to not weigh down the mouth. (674 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- pretty dull orange color. the head was tiny after an aggressive pour and it quickly dwindled without leaving a trace. but i gotta say i liked the label (that isnt included in my score though)

S- my first smell was really nice. it smells very earthy and woodsy. it has a clear hops aroma that is very pleasing. but i took other sniffs as i sipped and i noticed the smell getting progressively worse. the initially present flowery hop smell was replaced by a mostly metallic character. weird.

T- it tastes just like the bottle boasts. sweet biscuity malt balanced perfectly with a fresh hop taste. the mix is pretty refreshing and good.

M- this gets a 5 because it had a perfect level of carbonation and a really nice mouthfeel. i have to admit, i was worried at first because of the head, or lack there of, but this beer delivered in this category.

D- the drinkability on this beer is high because the fresh feeling you get as you drink it leaves you very refreshed and wanting more-- great session beer. (1,010 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%

Average amber appearance, light head that fades quickly. Rich smells of sweet malts, similarly to the taste. Taste is delicious: smooth and sugary (but not overly so), with a slight taste of citrus at the end. It's quite smooth, lightly carbonated, feels great to drink. Light enough to have many, but heavy enough to not taste watered down. (341 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Reviewed from notes. Consumed 8/4/09

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard water glass. Firm pour evokes a 3/4 inch head consisting of fine white bubbles. No lace. Color is a clear golden copper.

Nose- Mild hop profile balanced with a touch of caramel malt.

Pallate- A very nice, balanced amber ale. Plenty of nutty slightly chewy caramels, coupled with a crisp refreshing, slightly lemon citric hop bite. Hops are not over powering, but rather a faintly tart and bitter compliment. Wonderfully executed.

Mouthfeel- Active, faintly tart.

Drinkability- Great, magnificent session beer. (593 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Thick amber red with nice tan foam and lacing. Pretty cloudy, but you can see some carbonation as well. An outstanding appearance overall here.

Smell: Strong, creamy caramel malt. A bit of pine as well I guess.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wonderfully thick and great caramel in the taste. The mouthfeel is outstanding. Very creamy and smooth, but with active carbonation as well. Super tasty and enjoyable.

Drinkability: So easy to drink, a bit on the thick side.

Overall: An excellent beer. (496 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

This amber ale poured a nice gold color. It is finished off with a small white head of foam. The foam stayed a spell but is soon replace with a nice sticky lace. The aroma in this ale was unreal. This is my first beer with a bread/dough aroma to it. It was a pleasant surprise and not to overpowering. The taste was a sweet start to a nice malt background. The bread/dough aroma turned to flavor, is absorbed by the taste buds. Nicely balanced flavor with the malts and hops. I could enjoy this beer through out the night. Nice and clean in look, aroma and taste. Very nice! (574 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I've heard from many people how great this beer is. So when I finally made it to the West Coast I had to find it. While in Cali I came across it and I was very pleased with it.

After the first sip I was hooked! Its a great beer to sip slowly. I am kind of picky when it comes to beer but this one will be one that I will have again. (335 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bottle with before date of 25 Sept. 2009.

A: Bright copper with little head and minimal lacing.

S: Faint floral scent of hops.

T&M: Medium bodied and very smooth. Nice biscuity malt from start to finish. Light flash of hops, some fruitiness, and finishes semi-dry.

Not really the best red ale I've had. However, the bottle I had stated it was an "Amber Ale". So I'll rate it as that and it is a very good ale. (443 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I thought that by coming to Denver, I would have no problem finding this beer in a CAN. It turned out to be my quest for the great white whale. It existed, but just out of my grasp. I finally scored a sixer and have some for CAN-only trades.

I had just done a warm-up with Breckenridge Amber, but this is the gold-standard for an Amber beer. Let's see.

My bartender's pour created a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with good retention. The color was a really bright orangish-amber, translaing to NE-quality clarity. The nose was biscuity malty and I am so glad that someone explained that phrase to me. Again, this was the standard bearer for the style. Mouthfeel was medium and although the CAN mentioned "Toasty malt flavors in tandem [(har)] with hoppy freshness", I simply got the malt. This was eminently drinkable, especially in the amber style. The finish was smooth and slightly dry. I do not miss the sugary sweetness of some CANned beers which I have reviewed.

Shore/Beach: If you CAN find it, hell, yeah! It was an elusive beer in my estimation, but once I found it, I was glad that I had. Ten Fidy is NOT coming wih me to the Jersey shore! (1,155 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Serving: poured into tumbler from 12oz bottle, Best By Date: Jan 12.

Appearance: rich, clear amber color. Clarity gives an excellent view of bubbling action. Unremarkable white head. Not much lacing.

Smell: very malty, but pleasantly so. Hint of hops.

Taste: mellow, sweet malt. Finishes with hops. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: moderate carb lends to a foamy feel, medium "weight" feel.

Overall: well balanced beer, though it leans towards the malt. Best part for me is the beautiful color and delicious malty taste. For me this is the definitive amber ale and its reasonable price and wide distribution make it a very easy recommendation. (642 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Medium copper in color with some nice red highlights. Very fine bright white head leaves nice lace. A good-looking beer here.

Nose is slightly caramelly malt, over fresh-baked biscuit. Some slight yeasty spiciness too - touch of anise, bit of lavender. This is much better than I remember Fat Tire being.

Medium in the mouth with waves of pretty complex malt. Lots of biscuity goodness and some fresh baked bread. The caramelly notes keep to a supporting role, and the spicy yeast notes add additional complexity. The yeast notes are quite reminiscent of De Koninck, which is a very good thing in my book.

Carbonation is enough to keep the malt lively. Very drinkable, where this beer used to wear on me after half a glass. The biscuit/caramel notes seem in much better balance than before. The only reason I re-tasted this one after all these years was because it was in my sampler pack, but I find myself really enjoying it. Best before: 22Aug08. (951 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

It's become a bit of a tradition now that any trips out west will end with me stashing a few of these in my carry-on luggage. The beer pours a nice, clean amber color, with a very pleasant malty aroma. The taste is very nicely balanced; biscuity malt flavor with enough hops to keep things even (I thought the bitterness of the hops was much more apparent when I had it on tap). Drinkability is off the scale; this is a great session beer. I only pray that someday New Belgium will see the light and start shipping to the East Coast. (533 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my first craft beers...after drinking mostly piss water for years (mainly miller lite and bud light), this is a good beer to start the transition into nice, craft beer. Poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint glass, it has a nice bright amber appearance with a 1" white foamy head with decent lacing. Rich in flavor and normal thickness for an American Amber ale, goes down rather smooth . Easy to drink and fairly easy to find. (Be patient, this was my first review,lol) (481 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Finger's width of head that quickly recedes. Leaves a thin ring around the surface and spots of lacing clings to the glass with each sip. Color is a clear bright coppery amber.

Smell is mildly sweet. Hints of chocolate, tobacco leaf, and hints of ginger. Taste has a lot of chocolate characteristics that finishes with a mild mineral after taste.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a scrubbing carbonation. This is very drinkable. I suppose I have just overlooked Fat Tire just because it is so available. Won't make that mistake again. (583 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

This is a personal favorite for one reason. That phrase, probably hated, "drinkability."

Its a pale gold/amber beer. Amazing lacing, lasts all the way through.

Nose. Biscuits!

Taste: Biscuits!

This is a very malty beer, hops are somewhat present. Maybe I'm biased due to all of my experiences with the beer, but it's my go to. Consider its not available in Florida, and I fall under cult status. (400 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Fat Tire is an amber colored ale, and my favorite brew made by New Belgium. This medium bodies amber ale has an excellent flavor and goes well with just about anything.

I usually drink this ale out of a pint glass, when poured it has a medium sized head. It has a wonderful smell and a nutty/malty taste.

This is a year round brew, not a seasonal one and as such is easy to enjoy any time of the year. It is easy to drink, making it an excellent choice for those hot summer days, yet it is also full of flavor, making it ideal for a night in with friends as well. (565 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Amber colored with gold highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head on the pour with some decent lacing. The smell is strong malt with some hop bitterness. The taste is of biscuit, sweet malt with some hop towards the end. Good carbonation. For me, this is the definition of the amber style ale. A great go to beer. (327 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing