Join our email list →

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,903 | Hads: 7,967
4.11/5  rDev +14.2%

This has been my staple for 5+ years now. I was introduced to Fat Tire by a family member when I moved to N.C. I was a Budweiser only drinker. Now I will try a lot of different beers, but I always come back to this one. Can't wait until the new brewery is built in Asheville so I can take a tour!

4.11/5  rDev +14.2%

Now here is a beer I have been dieing to try. I have heard only good things. I was not dissapointed. It pours a deep amber color that makes one know there will be a fine maltiness to the brew. The smell is not the best for a beer of this quality and gives off a note of roasted malt that overcomes all the other aromas. Not even entirely sure where it comes from.
The taste though, is what got me hooked. I never expected this beer to be as big as it was. There is a lot of slepndid malt to this brew, and if you are a fan of the "big boy" beers, you'll really enjoy this one.

4.11/5  rDev +14.2%

From a 22oz bottle marked "Commemorative-Taking Flight in NC"
Copper pipe color with a flax colored 2 finger head. Bubble a bit fizzy-not like pop(soda) but definitely active. Clinging lacy strands of foam stick around. This brew is clear as a spring day.

Smell is mild but appealing sweet and malty with just a little snap of floral in the background. Not super expressive; not a bar- it-all-in-your-face style. More like a quick glimpse of thigh and lace that coyly intrigues you to want more.

The taste is what happens behind those closed doors--after you've been together for 5 years. It's good, it makes you want more, but it's not gonna leave you gasping for breath or hunting for you clothes later. Malts take charge with hoppy lightly floral background notes. Somewhere in the mix is a bit of toasty caramel, but this was like finding Waldo--I really had to pay attention to pick it out.

Good carbonation prickled my tongue and the slightly oily mouthfeel made it even easier to down this quickly. Smooth, with a dryish finish, I had no recourse but to grab my glass again almost as soon as I had set it down.

To me, this was balanced and a good idea of what I could expect from this style. Honestly, my bomber when down way too quickly.

Tasty, easy to drink, enjoyable and refreshing. Right on the money for this style, I think. Fat Tire will be a staple--even if I "have" to buy it in bombers. Thanks for giving NC a Fat Tire, New Belgium!

4.11/5  rDev +14.2%

My go to beer. Great for every season, light feel, not light on taste. Good ale smell. Not to sweet, yet you can tell just by the aroma that your taste buds are going to have a wonderful experience.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from tap into a pint glass. Good looking amber color with a nice head and good lacing. The smell was slightly floral with strong malty goodness. It had a great malt taste with a mild sweetness and a slight hoppy end. Good body to the beer. All and all I thought it was a well done beer.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Again I have to credit good friend, colleague and fellow beer enthusiast Rafael Bernal for this fantastic gift. I held back from trying it for a few days- my plan was new year's but then i fell asleep- so I popped it today as an ode to my (oh so happy) 1 week vacation.

I like this beer from all perspectives. The pour looks good, a cristal orange hue with a fantastic, tall white head and tonnes of lacing. some fizz within, not too much though.

While the smell doesn't fill the room or is abundant in any way, it is indeed its most complex and intriguing attribute. it morphs somewhat and makes you have to process it for a while. At first it was a dominant cumin like feel, very spicy. maybe even a pure cacao (the non-sweet, 100% pure type). Then again, you go smell it again and it feels like some caramel, some fruitier notes. indeed, complex.

The taste is also very good. It is soft, much unlike what i expected for the beer, but it holds all things good about american beer- a caramel-hop duo, very soft and refreshing, blending and complementing a complex smell. it is very light but by all means tasty. and in spite of a low abv, it has a perceibable boozy undertone that is only complimentary to the whole deal.

Indeed very drinkable, very enjoyable year round. can't wait to get my hands on more New Belgium.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really like amber ales, and this is one of the classics. Pours a beautiful caramel color with a fluffy white head. The smell is a little biscuity and nutty. The taste is similar, very malty (like liquefied bread) with a hint of sweetness and hint of hops. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. I offer this to everyone I know who says they don't like beer because it's "too bitter,"a lot of people are genuinely surprised that not all beer is the same and that this kind of range of flavors is possible. I've had it with all kinds of foods and it complements them all well.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

I had this one on-tap at the Roadhouse Bar & Grill.

A: An amber colored beer with lots of carbonation. A milky whitehead slowly dissipates as it is consumed.

S: Smell is not intense, but sweet malt can be whiffed throughout.

T: Sweet malt taste can be enjoyed throughout with a hint of hop flavoring. The carbonation also helps this one taste great throughout. This beer is definitely reminiscent of a belgian ale, but not as yeasty or having intense alcohol flavor.

M: Light and very carbonated. Not thick, but what you would expect from an ale.

D: Easily drinkable as the ABV is only 5.2%. A definitive, easy session beer.

I had this one in a bottle after I first moved back to the mainland. After hearing much hype form a close friend, I had to try it. I was not impressed during my first session with the beer. But as I gave it more time, I began to really enjoy it. It really grew on me. And now that I had it on-tap, I really can say this is a great brew and a good choice from those who are locked in a bar or restaurant who only sells the usual suspects. So much so, that when I finished my initial 16oz pint, I then ordered a 32oz to enjoy with the rest of my dinner.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Copper, golden amber color, decent sized white head with lacing around the cup

Smell: Hops, malty, almost a good yeasty smell, roasted nutty hints

Taste: malt flavors, nutty, earthy

Mouthfeel: Clean, well balanced, not too heavy of carbonation

Overall: Delicious! Full flavored, all around great qualities, doesn't lack in any area of in any significance

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: A warm bengal orange, clear as day. Foamy light beige head with meager retention but great lacing.

Smell: Buttery and rich, reminiscent of Brazil nuts, pine nuts, and creamed corn. Caramel malts, toasted wheat, and light, citric hops round out the aroma.

Taste: Everything from the aroma is here, and then some. More hoppy than the nose let on. Strong nutty taste. A bit more malty than I generally prefer for the style, but still very well-balanced with a pleasantly dry, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Big, soft bubbles create a thick, creamy froth in your mouth. A bit sticky. Great for the style.

Drinkability: I think I could drink this every day. A great sit-back-and-relax beer. The flavor and aroma are so nice, they really help take your mind off everything else. Like meditation in a bottle.

12 oz
Pours great-looking copper color. nice two finger head, fades, but leaves nice lace
Smell is buttery, toffee-ish, a little caramel and bread. Fairly complex and very nice
Taste is of grainy sweetness, with the bread flavors coming through. Touch of caramel sweetness at the end is cut nicely with some hops bitterness.
Mouthfeel is really nice, smooth and lightly creamy. Touch watery on the finish though.
Could drink this quite often, if I could get it.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Slightly cloudy appearance with a uniquely sweet aroma. Smooth taste with a fruity finish.

Very easy to drink and has no negative aspects. Particularly enjoyed drinking the Fat Tire slowly and with a non-spicy meal such as fries.

Overall a solid daytime draft beer.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a New Belgium globe. The beer is a beautifully clear copper amber color. A frothy off-white head sits on top and dissipates to a thick film. Lots of sticky lacing. The beer smells fruity, nutty, and crisp. The taste is very complex for an amber ale. I get banana peel, toasty biscuits, and floral fruits. Also a hint at nuts. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a clean finish.

Overall, this is quite simply a well-made tasty amber ale unlike most ambers out there due to the belgian component: lots of floral and fruity notes. A really nice beer to have year round. I particularly like it in warmer months for some reason.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

This was my entry into craft beer years ago. This was my favorite beer for awhile. Although I've had better since. This beer has a solid taste,smell, and it's a solid medium body. The taste that always pops out is caramel, with some oak tasting notes. Some Toffee notes as well.

Appearance light cooper appearance. Some people call this beer watered down. I think it can be at times, it all depends which batch you get. New Belgium has some average beers out there, but their staple is always solid.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This is my go-to brew. I always pick one up when I get a variety pack from the grocery store just in case the others are no good. Fat tire is always reliable.

It's well balanced, has a great body/mouthfeel and I love the toasty malty qualities. It pairs well with most meals, however I think it's especially great with anything Italian. I've had it with homemade pizza and with lasagna and both were prime.

Definitely a solid beer that I will be drinking for a good while. A staple for my refrigerator.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What a unique and great flagship beer to be had. I don't want to spend this review going into the categories of the beer, such as flavor and appearance, because let's face it, everyone knows how it is.

But let's consider that every successful brewery usually has a flagship beer that really makes a name for themselves. This beer, although ordinary in many ways, is also quite extraordinary.

There is a signature yeast strain that they use that creates a very unique flavor profile. It goes really well with the caramel flavor and biscuit overtones this beer has to offer.

It's just a great session ale, and that is why I gave it its highest scores for drinkability.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Bomber with a label that sez Spring 2006 Chicago Inaugural and a best before date of 23Jun06 jetted on the side. poured into a pint glass.

Clear copper with two fingers of off white. Very good retention with plenty of wispy ringed lace.

The nose is a nice balance of toasty malts and caramel with just enough flowers and spice from the hops. Well rounded aromas.

The taste follows along the same lines but with just a bit more toast with the caramel and just the right enough hop bite for balance and a nice dry finish. Slightly nutty in the middle. Again, well rounded and tasty.

Nice moderate mouth that finishes clean. A very drinkable Amber that can please those new to craft beer as well as those who have been drinking crafts for years. I understand and appreciate why this beer has such a loyal following.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

I don't know how many times I have had this beer. It is my drink of choice at the BBQ.

Consumed in a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep golden, almost auburn hue
Smell: Bread-like, low hop, almost sweet
Taste/Mouthfeel: classic biscuit beer flavor, not too sweet, high drinkability, taste like fresh baked bread with hops.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Fat Tire pours a crisp, clear medium amber color with a nice thick head that starts out frothy like a cappucino and ends up, just before dissipating all together, looking like the craggy foam on an angry sea shore. The foam seems stick and laces the side of the glass nicely. Attractive.

The smell is quite nice, dominated by grainy bread like notes with some spicy hop presence to balance.

The taste follows suit, with a slight sweet-bread flavor starting on the tongue, developing into a more grainy bread crust flavor partway through, and finishing with a spicy and slightly fruit hop kick just at the end. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel has always suffered in the bottle for this beer, in my opinon. The nice head that it gets on a medium pour seems to sap the beer of all of its carbation...it was quite flat to me, as usual. My dad agrees and tends to refer to it as "Flat Tire".

That mouthfeel sort of cuts into the drinkability for me, leaving my mouth feeling somewhat bored. Good looks, good smells and good flavors, just doesn't feel right.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

thanks to the threewisemen for the trade.

12oz can, says "can conditioned". underside of the can has a best by date of 12 jun 2009. tasted in early may 2009.

pale honey amber w brownish copper tones. clear. 1-finger, nearly pure-white head, slowly fades to thin layer. great lacing.

aroma: yeasty apple esters and trademark toasty malt and caramel, with mild hop note that is lightly citrusy and leafy, almost like fresh orange juice. hint of belgian character.

taste: very toasty malt, with more grassy/herbal hop character, and mild to near-moderate bitterness. slightly watery, but quite flavorful for 5.2% ABV. resins linger, as yeast, esters and phenols peek through in the finish and aftertaste, plus again more of that trademark, toasty, toffeeish malt character which made NB famous.

light to medium body, with light resins in the finish. crisp, tingly, moderate carbonation.

ah, ok, now i see why so many non-beergeeks rave about it. VERY easy drinking, and that caramelized, toasty malt really is what sets it apart from other flagship beers by the other near-mainstream craft breweries such as sam adams or sierra nevada.

NOTE: ok, yeah, so now i'm reading todd alstrom's review, and it helped me narrow down a description for the malt flavor - it's BISCUITY. lightly sweet, cookie-like, english-style biscuits.

4.14/5  rDev +15%

The pour is a light strawberry red with a hint of yellow showing through. Small one finger head that quickly dissapated and left little or no lace on the glass.

The smell is heavy in biscuity malt with a light floral undertone.

The drink is heavy in sweet malt up front, the malt seems to sweeten throughout the mouth with just a hint of hops at the finish. Clean finish with little or no aftertaste.

All and all a very refreshing and drinkable beer. This one will be in my fridge from now on, glad it finally came to North Carolina.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have only been aware of this beer for a coulple years at most. Lets see what we have here:

A: poured from the 12 oz bottle into my tumbler. minimu head, which dissipated quickly. But as I drain the glass the lacing left behind is impressive.
Beautifully clear dark amber, carmelly color.

S: very light aroma, of crisp clean balance of hops and malt.:

T: this is where Fat Tire shines. not much for hops, but a nice, nutty bread maltiness - no bitter hops follow up at all. However, as it warms, a bit of hopiness come thru.

M: Solid body in spite of the understated taste. generous amount of carbonation. this is a SUBTLE beer but I really like it.

D: HIGHLY drinkable. No hint of alcohol here, the understated taste has me repeatedly reaching for more.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

A) Slightly cloudy, small head that quickly disolves to lace. Bright orange when held to the sun

S) Sour mash with citrus fruits

T) The low alcohol content offers a smooth, falvorful summer thirst quencher especially when served COLD

M) Thicker than a pilsner or lager. They got the carbonation just right. A dense and smooth ale

D) It's 4:00 pm and the lifts just closed. The sun is still up. Drinkability? Only in pints and better yet when you are buying

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a medium amber with three fingers of foamy white head and some nice lacing.

The smell has a nice toffee flavor that was ever so quick to roll into a spicy hop flavor. Some nice malt flavor brings in a nice even sweet fruit flavor with a touch of bitterness in the background.

The taste was also a bit toffee with some nice biscuit flavor. There a bit of a buttery flavor that has some nice tones to it.

The feel of this beer is pretty smooth. It has a light body and it pretty refreshing and went well with the dinner I was having.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a nice, reddish amber, clear copper color. Excellent head retention with a steady stream of bubbles.

The aroma reminds me of Christmas... cookies baking in the oven, cinnamon, nutmeg, fruitcake. I don't get much fruitiness or hop aroma though.

The taste is sweet and spicy .. a bit of roasted-ness .. with some faint fruit aftertaste. No really big flavors here, but its all in balance (well, could use a bit more hops, but they save it for 2º Below).

The lack of big flavors and medium abv makes Fat Tire an excellent session beer. On tap though, I find it a bit smoother. Still, it's a great reliable 'gateway' or 'stand-by' beer.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing