Follow our progress ...

Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
3.6

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Reviews: 1,969 | Ratings: 8,276
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a tasty looking copper color with a perfect two finger white head. Nice and mellow aromas of grain and some mild malt. Taste is the distinctive amber ale with crisp malt and grain, as well as some earthy dough and light tang. Super drinkable and something I wish I could pick up more often.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

The first time I had this out of a bottle, I wasn't impressed. This was especially true after enjoying it so many times on draft. I must've had a bad bottle because this came equipped to impress.
Appears a glowing amber with a frothy 2 finger white head. Tons of sticky white lacing clings to the glass. Medium streams of carbonation bubbles come rising to the top.
Smell is of sweet biscuity malts and grain.
Taste is of sweet, toasted biscuits backed with a fresh, hoppy bite.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well rounded as the sweetness fades into a crisp, hop finish.

Finger licking good.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A- orangish colored, two finger head, lightly carbonated, plenty of sticking.

S- Very malty, floral and citrus notes, doughy/yeasty (bready)

T- The taste carries through but in a smaller dose than the smell. It has a great taste without being overly anything. Just a great all around, tastey beer! Leaves a dry pastey taste on the tongue. Very biscuity aftertaste.

M- Medium body, decnt carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. This beer is very different than what i recall. I could and would have more than just a few of these. Overall a good easy drinking beer.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Copper colored ale with a small white head on top, crystal clear, decent lacing, lots of carbonation. Aroma is bready, cracker-like almost, with a hint of herbal, earthy hops. Taste follows suit with the nose. Definite biscuit malt character in this one, slightly sweet in the middle, woody, earthy hops, and a dry finish. Very, very easy to drink, lower end of medium bodied. This is the beer I credit with getting me into craft beers. Still does the trick for me. Nothing special, but tasty indeed.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

How could a brown ale be so good?
This was one of the top things I looked forward to doing/ trying on my trip from Baltimore to Las Vegas. The smoothest most flavorful brown ale out there. A lot of flavor but not enough to knock your mouth out. The constant head gives it a great aroma through the entire drink. Just the right amount of malt and hop flavors.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A: amber red color filtered with a thin 1 finger width off white head and thin lacing on glass.
S: sweet caramel molasses malt aroma with spices and hops blended very well in the nose.
T: a sharp sweetness in the front followed by light mixture
of aromatic and bitter hops a good mix nontheless.
M/D: light bodied and the sweetness really hits the mouth hard. Altogether a good drinkable beer great anytime you really jut want a cold one.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured amedium amber color with moderate slightly off-white puffy head.
Smell is significant for caramel with some light hop backtones.
Taste also presents with some strong caramel notes with only a very mild hop influence,
Finish is more of the sweet caramel malt, and is very refreshing.
A very easy-to-drink beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Deep reddish coloring with some head.

S- Definitely a malty smell. You can smell some hops, but definitely more malty than hoppy.

T- A very crisp taste with a great mixture of malts and hops. Goes down very smoothly.

M- Smooth, tingly feel. Very smooth beer. Doesn't really have a bitter aftertaste.

D- Extremely drinkable beer. Goes down like candy.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

This is one fine beer. I'd heard so much hype about it that I was hesitant to even waste my time. My duh.

Pours a nice-looking orange-gold, with a huge frothy foamy head of miniscule bubbles. Even the foam tastes great. The foam gradually dissipated into separate but still foamy islands.

Taste-- very nice, malty up-front, little carbonation annoyance, nice bouquet, hint of hops but not very bitter. A nice bouquet of flavors that are subtle, not overdone. It's more of an ale than amber, nearly bordering on ale with some amber to it.

It's not overly filling or bloating, so this would be a great one for session. I missed my chance to try it on-tap while traveling throughout the northwest USA (or at least I've forgotten if I had any), but I will be sure to grab this at the next available tap I see.

Definitely "way up there" on my list of more or less traditional US beers that are actually worthwhile.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

This is surely to become an American classic session beer along with Alaska Amber to join the SNPA ranks. It is a nice dark gold colour with fine hoopy nose. What makes this beer for me is the drinkability combined with an attention to flavour and hops. I always want just one more sip with this beer and that my friends is a good thing.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly hazed yellow/copper color with a fluffy beige head that left lots of lacing on the glass.

S - nutty, malty aroma.

T - hazel nut and light cocoa flavors with a light bitterness on the finish.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

D - goes down easy, a few could be had.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

The wait behind this beer helps make the story. I first had this beer in San Antonio back in spring of 2005 at this restaurant up the road from the Alamo right along the famous River Walk. $4.50 for 22oz, all paid for by the company budget. They went down like water and were among the most enjoyable beers I had ever had at the time. Just under five years later, a friend of my father's brought a case of this back from Colorado today. Finally, a chance to review it.

A: Clear with a thin white head, the color a perfect amber.

S: Sweet and biscuity, with a tiny floral note to the nose.

T: Biscuity malts with a little bit of pepperiness. Mild hops help to balance it and stick to the back of the throat leaving a very pleasant lingering bitterness. While it's not quite as sweet as I remembered it being on draft, it's a very mild beer.

M: Medium body with a very smooth feel.

D: With a great balanced taste and smooth body, this really has the potential to be an amazing session beer. Hopefully this winds up out on the east coast some day.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Very nice toasty/spicy nose...pours a lighter orange with a creamy 1/4 inch head on top..rims glass nicely...the body at first is medium and firm but the finish is a bit watery and thin...I like the taste on this....nice toasty maltiness and a spicy subtle hop profile...they mesh very nicely...would seem to make a nice session beer....

My first try of New Belgiam and I'm relatively impressed. I know this is meant to be one of their more dumbed down beers, but actually I think it has some qualities beer gurus will enjoy..Very solid Amber Ale I would buy again..

A big thanks to BDitty187 for this enjoyable new brew...

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Fat Tire pours a dark, deep, crystal clear amber-red. A large off-white head slowly decreases over the course of the beer leaving a wonderful, sticky lace.

Smell: A strong caramel, woody malt undertone that was accompanied by a faint fruitiness

Taste: Similar to the smell. Caramel malt and nuttiness are the main notes on this brew. I expected a bit of a hop bitterness at the end but instead I was greeted by a nice, spicy sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Way too thin for the taste of this beer. Reminded me of rusty tap water at times and put me off of this beer. By and far Fat Tire's weakest point.

Drinkability: Would be very easy to drink these if not for the thin mouthfeel. After two or so I am put off by the thinness.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Presented partly cloudy orange-rust with a thin layer of light-tan head at the NBB tasting room in the brewery. Smells biscuity with a touch of citrus. Caramel and toast.

Tastes very bready doughy with biscuit and caramel malts. Some toasted character and a bit of a citrus finish that I take to be hops. Not quite grapefruit, but not quite orange either. Md light body and a touch dextrinous in the mouth. Modest carbonation. Simple, tasty, and unique. Just an all around nice beer. Much better fresh at the brewery than from a store-bought bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Fat Tire is a well-established name here in California, tho its accessibility is next-to-naught outside of the Western US.
We pour it on-tap at my workplace, and it always gives a nice, creamy head. The color is a clear amber, with red overtones. Not much scent other than that of malt, but admittedly I usually taste this before I sniff.
The selling point of this beer is the roasting & toasting of the malts New Beligium adds to their signature brew. I personally can't get enough toasted malt in my beer, which is what keeps me coming back for more. There is some hop presence, enough to please purists, but not overpowering enough to keep this from being a great "session beer". The carbonation also sticks with it enough through the end of a pint to keep the first sip as enjoyable as the last.
All the NB products I have tried have been great, but keep coming back to the Fat Tire due to its exceptional drinkability & malt flavor...making this my go-to beer in bars & restaurants which don't go out of their way to please beer geeks like myself.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

12oz can into a snifter (I started with a heavier stout so I kept the glass the same)

A: Pours a perfect amber with a small head that fades quickly leaving a small amount of lacing on the glass as you drink.

S: The nose is mostly caramel malt and sweet bready grain. Nothing crazy but just plain good.

T: The taste is loads of sweet caramel malt, light toffee, and I swear I detect the slightest coffee flavor...maybe something like a slightly watered down frapachino with a lot of caramel in it (that sounds worse than it tastes).

M: The feel is slightly creamy and medium-light bodied.

D: This has always been a favorite and it's just as good if not better out of the can. If I see this on draft in a predominantly BMC bar I don't think twice about ordering it.

I love this trend of canning beers and look forward to hopefully being able to buy other New Belgium beers in the can in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

started getting the cans a little while back. i am glad to see them. they go in pockets and backpacks well. twelve ounce can pours clear light amber color. one finger tan head. some lacing. looks good.

toasty and biscuit malts. some fruit hops in there as well.

caramel malty sweet. citrus fruit hops also. dry bitter fruit aftertaste. fits within style.

mid body. good carbonation. i like this better than the bottle. seems to have a little more depth. i will continue to buy this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Had a medium amber color with a 1/2 finger of head. Had a pleasant malty smell. The taste was slightly malty and spicy, not overly complex, also very pleasant. Super smooth. Very enjoyable. This is definately going on my favorites list.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Good light copper appearance. Medium head that disappears quickly. No lacing. Toasted malt flavor. Hint of chocolate and peanut butter...? I'm not sure where I'm getting that from but I swear I am. Big biscuity flavor and still some peanut butter but it's very faint. Good fruitiness to it. Nice hoppy balance. This is a well balanced beer. Very smooth and a little hoppy on the palate. Enjoyable beer that's easy to drink.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

This ale pours a nice amber color with a good whitish head with little retention. The aroma is of hops and a bit more of malt. It has a nice hoppiness to it, a bit strong and earthy and finishes clean. It's decent bodied and rather smooth. I can't drink these all the time!

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A: A nice copper color. Clear. Decent head that dissipates quickly, but the lacing is nice.

S: Caramel notes and roasted malts.

T: A nice clean tasting beer without being hoppy. Had a great red ale profile and flavor.

M: Moderate amount of carbonation.

D: Easy to drink.

Will buy plenty of this and may become a mainstay in the household.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz bottle pored into a mug. this pores a clear copperish color. nice white fluffy head with good retention and lacing.

i'm just getting over a cold so it's a little hard to catch all the aroma. this smells like a freshly baked batch of cookies. chocolatey, biscuity, doughy, bready, and some earthly hops.

taste is just about the same as the smell.

full bodied and slightly thick.

great beer. easily drinkable and something that won't hurt the macro crowd as well.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Aroma: Biscuity and slightly toasty. Hops don't stand out too much.
Appearance: Clear "amber" ale. Pretty lacing, but nothing exceptional.
Taste: Hops come out a bit more in the taste. Floral, remind me of an english ale. Malt stands out pretty hard as well, I can almost smell what the fermentor smells like here.
Mouth: Awesome. Actually probably one of the best parts of this beer.
Overall: Classic staple beer. Pairs well with savory foods in my opinion.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Picked up a six pack of this near S.F. when I had nothing else to do. Over the course of a few days my opinions swayed a bit, but overall this is a nice beer that is most definitely drinkable. It has a reddish amber color and a thin head. Taste was what varied, ranging from nice roasted malty slightly bitter slightly sweet complex concoction to eh that's nice but not interesting. Weird that one six pack could have such a spectrum of tastes.

I had this on draft a while back and loved it. Too long ago to review now, but the bottles in no way compared to the keg experience.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing