Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,890 | Hads: 7,847
4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. ("Now Voluntarily available in Tennessee" edition) bomber into a pint glass....

Pours out a nice medium brown with a hint of red with a frothy white head. Nice lacing forms as well down the glass.

I smell a sweetness from the malt, almost fruity, as well as definite yeast.

Toasted malt, tastes like warm bread. A slight bitterness in the aftertaste, but not that much.

Fantastic. So smooth in the mouth and goes down easy. Carbonation is perfect. Perfect score in this area for me.

Overall, this is a fantastic session beer. Not the best beer in the world and some would say overhyped, but I think it deserves all the praise it gets. Well balanced, sooo drinkable, and down right tasty. Bravo New Belgium.

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

It was great... I was so excited to find it while I was out here on my trip to the Northwest... Great Malty flavor... actually tasted like the clone I made a few years back... so that was exciting... good stuff... I am glad to have had a chance to have it and hope that it makes it out to the east coast soon!

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Clear and a nice copper color with a persistent off-white head
S - No noticeable hop pretense...bready, cereal malt...very mild esters
T/M - Flavors match well with the aromas. A nice malt sweetness on the bready/cereal side. Hops aren't a predominant player outside the balance they provide. Carbonation is moderate and pleasant.

This is a very lovely beer, not just for the solid craftsmanship but also for being one of my gateway beers. While it may not be my favorite it is a solid goto beer.

4.19/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Rich, clean reddish color, slight head. A refreshing looking beer.

S - Carmel with a hint of wildflowers; overripe honeysuckle from a distance.

T - A little woodsy and wild. Sweet at the front of the tongue with strong malt flavor overshadowing all at the back. Little aftertaste other than a slight molasses taste.

M - Crisp at the start, but a little thick going down -- heavy malt and bread taste almost makes it like eating good pancakes with maple syrup. Perhaps too thick for some, but a good feeling if you like that sort of thing.

D - I could drink this for awhile, it is flavorful enough to not get boring but refreshing enough to not weigh down the mouth.

4.19/5  rDev +16.4%

Average amber appearance, light head that fades quickly. Rich smells of sweet malts, similarly to the taste. Taste is delicious: smooth and sugary (but not overly so), with a slight taste of citrus at the end. It's quite smooth, lightly carbonated, feels great to drink. Light enough to have many, but heavy enough to not taste watered down.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Reviewed from notes. Consumed 8/4/09

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard water glass. Firm pour evokes a 3/4 inch head consisting of fine white bubbles. No lace. Color is a clear golden copper.

Nose- Mild hop profile balanced with a touch of caramel malt.

Pallate- A very nice, balanced amber ale. Plenty of nutty slightly chewy caramels, coupled with a crisp refreshing, slightly lemon citric hop bite. Hops are not over powering, but rather a faintly tart and bitter compliment. Wonderfully executed.

Mouthfeel- Active, faintly tart.

Drinkability- Great, magnificent session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance: Thick amber red with nice tan foam and lacing. Pretty cloudy, but you can see some carbonation as well. An outstanding appearance overall here.

Smell: Strong, creamy caramel malt. A bit of pine as well I guess.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wonderfully thick and great caramel in the taste. The mouthfeel is outstanding. Very creamy and smooth, but with active carbonation as well. Super tasty and enjoyable.

Drinkability: So easy to drink, a bit on the thick side.

Overall: An excellent beer.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

This amber ale poured a nice gold color. It is finished off with a small white head of foam. The foam stayed a spell but is soon replace with a nice sticky lace. The aroma in this ale was unreal. This is my first beer with a bread/dough aroma to it. It was a pleasant surprise and not to overpowering. The taste was a sweet start to a nice malt background. The bread/dough aroma turned to flavor, is absorbed by the taste buds. Nicely balanced flavor with the malts and hops. I could enjoy this beer through out the night. Nice and clean in look, aroma and taste. Very nice!

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

I've heard from many people how great this beer is. So when I finally made it to the West Coast I had to find it. While in Cali I came across it and I was very pleased with it.

After the first sip I was hooked! Its a great beer to sip slowly. I am kind of picky when it comes to beer but this one will be one that I will have again.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bottle with before date of 25 Sept. 2009.

A: Bright copper with little head and minimal lacing.

S: Faint floral scent of hops.

T&M: Medium bodied and very smooth. Nice biscuity malt from start to finish. Light flash of hops, some fruitiness, and finishes semi-dry.

Not really the best red ale I've had. However, the bottle I had stated it was an "Amber Ale". So I'll rate it as that and it is a very good ale.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

I thought that by coming to Denver, I would have no problem finding this beer in a CAN. It turned out to be my quest for the great white whale. It existed, but just out of my grasp. I finally scored a sixer and have some for CAN-only trades.

I had just done a warm-up with Breckenridge Amber, but this is the gold-standard for an Amber beer. Let's see.

My bartender's pour created a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with good retention. The color was a really bright orangish-amber, translaing to NE-quality clarity. The nose was biscuity malty and I am so glad that someone explained that phrase to me. Again, this was the standard bearer for the style. Mouthfeel was medium and although the CAN mentioned "Toasty malt flavors in tandem [(har)] with hoppy freshness", I simply got the malt. This was eminently drinkable, especially in the amber style. The finish was smooth and slightly dry. I do not miss the sugary sweetness of some CANned beers which I have reviewed.

Shore/Beach: If you CAN find it, hell, yeah! It was an elusive beer in my estimation, but once I found it, I was glad that I had. Ten Fidy is NOT coming wih me to the Jersey shore!

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Serving: poured into tumbler from 12oz bottle, Best By Date: Jan 12.

Appearance: rich, clear amber color. Clarity gives an excellent view of bubbling action. Unremarkable white head. Not much lacing.

Smell: very malty, but pleasantly so. Hint of hops.

Taste: mellow, sweet malt. Finishes with hops. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: moderate carb lends to a foamy feel, medium "weight" feel.

Overall: well balanced beer, though it leans towards the malt. Best part for me is the beautiful color and delicious malty taste. For me this is the definitive amber ale and its reasonable price and wide distribution make it a very easy recommendation.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Medium copper in color with some nice red highlights. Very fine bright white head leaves nice lace. A good-looking beer here.

Nose is slightly caramelly malt, over fresh-baked biscuit. Some slight yeasty spiciness too - touch of anise, bit of lavender. This is much better than I remember Fat Tire being.

Medium in the mouth with waves of pretty complex malt. Lots of biscuity goodness and some fresh baked bread. The caramelly notes keep to a supporting role, and the spicy yeast notes add additional complexity. The yeast notes are quite reminiscent of De Koninck, which is a very good thing in my book.

Carbonation is enough to keep the malt lively. Very drinkable, where this beer used to wear on me after half a glass. The biscuit/caramel notes seem in much better balance than before. The only reason I re-tasted this one after all these years was because it was in my sampler pack, but I find myself really enjoying it. Best before: 22Aug08.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

It's become a bit of a tradition now that any trips out west will end with me stashing a few of these in my carry-on luggage. The beer pours a nice, clean amber color, with a very pleasant malty aroma. The taste is very nicely balanced; biscuity malt flavor with enough hops to keep things even (I thought the bitterness of the hops was much more apparent when I had it on tap). Drinkability is off the scale; this is a great session beer. I only pray that someday New Belgium will see the light and start shipping to the East Coast.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my first craft beers...after drinking mostly piss water for years (mainly miller lite and bud light), this is a good beer to start the transition into nice, craft beer. Poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint glass, it has a nice bright amber appearance with a 1" white foamy head with decent lacing. Rich in flavor and normal thickness for an American Amber ale, goes down rather smooth . Easy to drink and fairly easy to find. (Be patient, this was my first review,lol)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Finger's width of head that quickly recedes. Leaves a thin ring around the surface and spots of lacing clings to the glass with each sip. Color is a clear bright coppery amber.

Smell is mildly sweet. Hints of chocolate, tobacco leaf, and hints of ginger. Taste has a lot of chocolate characteristics that finishes with a mild mineral after taste.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a scrubbing carbonation. This is very drinkable. I suppose I have just overlooked Fat Tire just because it is so available. Won't make that mistake again.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

This is a personal favorite for one reason. That phrase, probably hated, "drinkability."

Its a pale gold/amber beer. Amazing lacing, lasts all the way through.

Nose. Biscuits!

Taste: Biscuits!

This is a very malty beer, hops are somewhat present. Maybe I'm biased due to all of my experiences with the beer, but it's my go to. Consider its not available in Florida, and I fall under cult status.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Fat Tire is an amber colored ale, and my favorite brew made by New Belgium. This medium bodies amber ale has an excellent flavor and goes well with just about anything.

I usually drink this ale out of a pint glass, when poured it has a medium sized head. It has a wonderful smell and a nutty/malty taste.

This is a year round brew, not a seasonal one and as such is easy to enjoy any time of the year. It is easy to drink, making it an excellent choice for those hot summer days, yet it is also full of flavor, making it ideal for a night in with friends as well.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Amber colored with gold highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head on the pour with some decent lacing. The smell is strong malt with some hop bitterness. The taste is of biscuit, sweet malt with some hop towards the end. Good carbonation. For me, this is the definition of the amber style ale. A great go to beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

tastes change, and so do beers. its been a while since i've had this so i'll review it again. bought a bottle on the Texas/Arkansas border because they've changed their cap recently and i wanted it for my collection. pours brownish and clear with a big, pond scum colored head. malty, slightly wheaty odor. smells nice and not skunky at all (i was expecting skunky, dont know why). taste is much more pleasing than i remember. slightly sweet, very malty and biscuity. in fact, probably more biscuity than any other beer i've tried. very smooth, very drinkable....very tasty all around.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

I've had this gem on tap and in bottles. Hint of caramel, hint of nutty biscuit, slight fruity sensation from the unique yeast. But all of these are barely detectable and combine for a uniquely crafted beer. On tap it is super mega drinkable, and it just disapears in my glass. It is a really light amber, not a big hoppy red if that is what you are after.

Kind of odd that I like this one so much, I usually demand more character from a brew. I think I just really appreciate the delicate balance of it.

I have had excellent success homebrewing this one. Beer mail me for a recipe.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Finally Fat Tire is in Reno, i talked to a distributor a few weeks ago and found out this was coming and i reserved a case. This morning the beer truck arrived at my work and i was very happy to see the keg of Fat tire as well as my personal case. I love this beer and i am very happy to have it on tap where i work so that i can have a pint with lunch.
Lacy white head maintains itself quite well atop a very lively carbonation. Clear deep gold with a touch of amber color makes this one of the lighter ambers i have tried. Aroma is of dark toast and a hint of fruity esters. Flavor is a malthead's dream as it is a blend of light carmel balanced with a definte toasty bread flavor and a bit of hops to keep things in line. A hint of chocolate lends itself to the finish which is very clean with no bitterness. Medium bodied that is almost light which adds to the drinkability of this brew, definetly an excellent brew that i am very glad is here in Nevada to enlighten the populace.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Brown in appearance. Very nice head. This is a great october beer even in Texas when it's 85 degrees. I personally like this beer served a lot colder than recommended. I enjoy this beer the most when I'm cooking on the grill and watching my Cowboys lose.

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tasted on 8/21/03

This one provided by a friend who picked it up in Cali while on business. I've been hearing about it for while here on the East coast, mostly from chagrined beer shoppers just finding out that the great brew they had out West just can't be had on this here side of the states.

12 oz. brown glass bottle. With drink by 10/14/03 freshness date.

Appearance: nice honey/gold with red tinges.minimal head, basically just some lacing across the top and around the edges.

Aroma: Grapefruit, malt, and honey, with almost a shortbread(?) nuance to it.

Taste: A touch of sweetness initially with great, malty-citrusy flavors. A bit of a toastiness spreads across the palate after a moment or two.

Mouthfeel: Nice richness, fuller than I expected.

Drinkability: More please!

After finally getting to try it, I'd say It lives up to the hype. Well Done!

Tasted again on 8/28/04 Just an addendum or two. I noticed more of a brioche and brown sugar flavor in the background this time around, more than a hint of sweetness is evident. Nothing that makes me want to change my score, except to bump the drinkability a touch.. Easily accesable and pretty darn enjoyable.

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Rich amber coloring, frothy head that dissipated. Mild carbonation apparent. Nice lacing. Solid looking brew.

S: Nose not super strong, I pick up some malty/breadiness. Rather clean nose but not great.

T & M: It is funny because I used to not really care much for this beer or New Belgium in general. As my beer journey has progressed this has become my go-to session beer. There is something about this beer specifically with New Belgium that differentiates it from others. I believe it is the yeast but it really makes this beer special. It has this almost chocolate quality that goes along with the light breadiness. Finish is clean and crisp along with the mouthfeel.

D: Heck yes this is drinkable. I could drink Fat Tire all day long.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing