Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,866 | Hads: 7,684
4.2/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

tastes change, and so do beers. its been a while since i've had this so i'll review it again. bought a bottle on the Texas/Arkansas border because they've changed their cap recently and i wanted it for my collection. pours brownish and clear with a big, pond scum colored head. malty, slightly wheaty odor. smells nice and not skunky at all (i was expecting skunky, dont know why). taste is much more pleasing than i remember. slightly sweet, very malty and biscuity. in fact, probably more biscuity than any other beer i've tried. very smooth, very drinkable....very tasty all around. (585 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I've had this gem on tap and in bottles. Hint of caramel, hint of nutty biscuit, slight fruity sensation from the unique yeast. But all of these are barely detectable and combine for a uniquely crafted beer. On tap it is super mega drinkable, and it just disapears in my glass. It is a really light amber, not a big hoppy red if that is what you are after.

Kind of odd that I like this one so much, I usually demand more character from a brew. I think I just really appreciate the delicate balance of it.

I have had excellent success homebrewing this one. Beer mail me for a recipe. (584 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Finally Fat Tire is in Reno, i talked to a distributor a few weeks ago and found out this was coming and i reserved a case. This morning the beer truck arrived at my work and i was very happy to see the keg of Fat tire as well as my personal case. I love this beer and i am very happy to have it on tap where i work so that i can have a pint with lunch.
Lacy white head maintains itself quite well atop a very lively carbonation. Clear deep gold with a touch of amber color makes this one of the lighter ambers i have tried. Aroma is of dark toast and a hint of fruity esters. Flavor is a malthead's dream as it is a blend of light carmel balanced with a definte toasty bread flavor and a bit of hops to keep things in line. A hint of chocolate lends itself to the finish which is very clean with no bitterness. Medium bodied that is almost light which adds to the drinkability of this brew, definetly an excellent brew that i am very glad is here in Nevada to enlighten the populace. (986 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Brown in appearance. Very nice head. This is a great october beer even in Texas when it's 85 degrees. I personally like this beer served a lot colder than recommended. I enjoy this beer the most when I'm cooking on the grill and watching my Cowboys lose. (254 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tasted on 8/21/03

This one provided by a friend who picked it up in Cali while on business. I've been hearing about it for while here on the East coast, mostly from chagrined beer shoppers just finding out that the great brew they had out West just can't be had on this here side of the states.

12 oz. brown glass bottle. With drink by 10/14/03 freshness date.

Appearance: nice honey/gold with red tinges.minimal head, basically just some lacing across the top and around the edges.

Aroma: Grapefruit, malt, and honey, with almost a shortbread(?) nuance to it.

Taste: A touch of sweetness initially with great, malty-citrusy flavors. A bit of a toastiness spreads across the palate after a moment or two.

Mouthfeel: Nice richness, fuller than I expected.

Drinkability: More please!

After finally getting to try it, I'd say It lives up to the hype. Well Done!

Tasted again on 8/28/04 Just an addendum or two. I noticed more of a brioche and brown sugar flavor in the background this time around, more than a hint of sweetness is evident. Nothing that makes me want to change my score, except to bump the drinkability a touch.. Easily accesable and pretty darn enjoyable. (1,196 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Rich amber coloring, frothy head that dissipated. Mild carbonation apparent. Nice lacing. Solid looking brew.

S: Nose not super strong, I pick up some malty/breadiness. Rather clean nose but not great.

T & M: It is funny because I used to not really care much for this beer or New Belgium in general. As my beer journey has progressed this has become my go-to session beer. There is something about this beer specifically with New Belgium that differentiates it from others. I believe it is the yeast but it really makes this beer special. It has this almost chocolate quality that goes along with the light breadiness. Finish is clean and crisp along with the mouthfeel.

D: Heck yes this is drinkable. I could drink Fat Tire all day long. (782 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +16.3%

Aroma: Unique deep dark wet grain aroma that no other beer has. Very earthy, leafy, organic.

Appearance: Great clarity with the definition of amber color. Creamy white head with massive retention and glass coating lace.

Flavor: Much lighter than the aroma leads you to believe. The wet grain is there, but lighted with a toasted malt sweetness and just a hint of hop flavor in the finish. Balance is toward the sweet side but only a touch. A unique flavor as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body, moderate carbonation, slightly rough texture, slow drying finish.

Overall Impression: A hallmark of craft beer, rightfully well known and generally respected. I guess it's one that you'll like or you won't. I'm on the like side and always have been. If you haven't had the pleasure, or haven't gone back to this "gateway" beer in a while, I highly recommend you get a 6 pack and share with friends. (897 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on draft in a prisoner glass. Pours a deep brown with good clarity. Head is dense with microbubbles and extra white in color. Smell is malty and nutty and taste is very similar and not complex. (200 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

This lil' beer got me into trouble on a trip to St. Louis. The best way I can describe this beer is a Western version of Sam Adams, but better. It has a stronger toasty flavor and is SO easy to drink. It has rich flavor, but does not really feel too heavy while drinking it. I am looking to find it on the East Coast though! (324 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber hue with a modest head and a good amount of bubbling. Head dissapates slowly. The aroma has a strong sweet malt character with hints of chocolate and toasted malts. Flavor is malty, quite toasty and sweet. It reminds me of a roasted marshmallow or a smore. There is a hint of hops at the end to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is good. It is medium bodied and I could easily drink a couple more of these. Very tasty. (438 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours out to a nice orange color. Very inviting. The smell in my opinion is the bad part about this beer. It smells like bread, but in an unpleasant way. The taste is quite nice. Very subtle, with a nice round bitterness that is reminescent of chocolate or coffee. The initial contact with the beer to the tongue is very refreshing, with the bitterness and the malts rushing on as you swallow, and these melt away to leave a tiny trace of the alcohol. It feels pretty nice going down. Feels thicker than most beers, and the carbonation bubbles popping in your mouth gives it a "spicy" feeling. very exciting. Thicker than the average beer. This is a very drinkable beer, and I really love it! One of my favorites. (713 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I think this is an incredibly underrated beer. Now, in my experience, it does have a somewhat subtle flavor that doesn't always come out. But when it does, it's amazingly toasty and scrumptious, sort of like some sort of pastry. It's hard to describe; it's unique. (264 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Bottle is better than the can (as is usually the case). One of the better ambers I've come across. Not quite worthy of the cult-like following it has, but a great example of its type. The fact that I can't have it unless I'm on vacation probably enhances its desirability. (272 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured this one into my trusty 5 pound pint glass pinched from dive bar in Binghampton N.Y. Just had to have it.

Beautiful maple syrup amber with half inch head that sinks to a light skim.
Smells like sweet caramel, brown sugar with lemon grassy notes on the backside.
The taste is all about biscuit malt, pungent molasses, multiple cereal grains, with just enough hop, snap, crackle, and pop to balance things out just right.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied.
Overall I recommend this brew not only to beer geeks but to people who say they don't like beer. We all know these people: They tried beer once or twice when they were teens--pissy Coors or BudLight or some crap--and concluded that beer was not for them. Almost can't blame them. Sad stories all. This is the kind of brew they should try. (802 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

I've had Fat Tire many times before but felt compelled to review it after the great experience I had today.

Bought from the Charleston Beer Exchange for $4.99 for a growler fill. New Belgium promo where they were giving away glasses, bottle openers, decals, and they even threw in a free frisbee for me when I told them I drove 30 miles to come get this special.

A- Dark Copper color with a slight head. Looks great in my free New Belgium.

S- Sweet malty with a bit of hops

T- I'm normally a hop head, but the sweet maltiness of this beer is absolutely delicious. I don't know the technical terms, but a sweet "bready" flavor to this is how I'd describe it.

M- Feels great going down

Overall I love this beer. It's strange, I drank it a few times a while back but wasn't too impressed, but a couple of months ago I gave it another chance and have been drinking it steady ever since. Two thumbs up to New Belgium and CBX also for this great promo offer. (959 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Bought a nice big bottle of this, poured in a pint

A: pours a nice clear amber-orange, with a thin off white head, has some lacing

S: has a nice autumn aroma, wheat, grains

T: toasted malts, wheats, grains, malty, light hops

M: very crisp, refreshing, to me it reminds me of fall, medium carbonation

O: A great ale, smooth, crisp, refreshing, light but still hearty and flavorful.
(389 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

This pours a beautiful amber color with a two finger white head. The head falls unevenly like many belgians. I smell caramel aromas and some light hints of hops. The aroma is fairly strong and it makes me want to drink it immediately. I have no choice but to give in. The initial taste is exceptionally smooth with no flavors dominating over others. It has a nice caramelly buttery taste that is balanced well with hop floral aromas/tastes. The taste is very full bodied and finishes very clean. I would consider the drinkability high for this beer compared to other ambers, of which I am generally not fond. (608 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: Clear, copper-orange body with a two-finger, off-white head that easily rises above the edge of the glass. Lacing is brilliant and really lasts.

Aroma: Fat Tire has always been a bit thin on the nose. What you can detect is sweet, biscuity malt and a whiff of citrus.

Taste: Lightly-roasted, sweet, biscuity malt is the center-piece of Fat tire. A subdued, earthly hop-bitterness helps to balance the malt. Occasional shades of booze at the finish. The biscuity malt endures in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, somewhat creamy, and medium-bodied. Carbonation is moderate, in keeping with the style.

Drinkability: I know for a fact that one can drink a twelve pack in the course of an evening. I guess that says it all really.

Verdict: Fat tire is a nicely balanced, biscuity Amber Ale. Securely above average, but certainly not the most exciting beer in the New Belgium stable. A terrific "gateway beer," If there's ever been one. (949 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer is a must try. Don't buy old ones... check the date, and drink it on tap whenever possible. If you can get to the brewery try it there, it's completely different than anywhere else. Bottled it's good canned it's great, on tap it's darn near amazing. The cans are great for hikes and camping. New belgium's most stable beer. Don't get too caught up in it's nickname "flat-tire" (386 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Looks fantastic. It is a perfect coppery-reddish amber I look for in an amber ale. Soft white foamy head dissipates soon after. Smells like a great amber as well, somewhat modest with a sweeter scent. Not too much of a punch in the flavor however I find the mellow quality desirable. THere is a bit of an alcholic taste at first then dies down to a numbing sensation. Mouthfeel is incredible. Full thickness of the amber brew lingers in my mouth.
Had this beer had a better flavor, I would raise the overall score. As is, this beer rates a 4.25-4.5...Since it was room temp when I reviewed I will give it a 4.5.
Impressive ale here that I will enjoy again and again. (666 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Last night while still in California I was able to enjoy yet another great tasting beer - this one with the catchy name of Fat Tire.

The beer has a nice dark golden color that has light and dark highlights that accent quite nicely when candle light catches it just the right way. The head was lightly brown, frothy and had a bit of staying power - there was plenty of lacing the entire way down the bottle. What surprised me was the distinct caramel smell that I found appealing and added just a little to the taste. Mouthfeel wasn't anything spectacular, carbonation was a bit more than I like. Overall it was a great beer, I'm jealous with Californians, they have a very good selection of brews at their local restaurants. (725 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

New Belgium has just started rolling into Florida. The bottle has a commemorative Florida release label, cool touch. Basically, from what I've heard, Fat Tire is the Boston Lager of the West. A widely available and tasty malt-forward brew. And that's exactly what I got. The aroma is great, there's earthy hops hanging out with some sweeter caramel malts. Balance is really the name of the game all the way around, there's nice sweetness in the middle of this brew, but with a nice, mildly bitter aftertaste that stops it from being cloying. Extremely well-crafted, and one of the best choices for a more traditional (read: not a "red IPA") American Red. (654 characters)

Best by date: 02.02.14.
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 01.03.14.

A: See through amber/red. No head with aggressive pour.

S: Malt, raisins, caramel.

T: Caramel is dominant. Toast is there too. Subtle hops.

M: Creamy.

O: I thought that this was an interesting amber the first time that I tried it because it was different than others. (351 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Had this both on tap and in the bottle while on a working trip to the Mid-West. Orange in color, with lots of bubbles and lacing. Smell was fruity, maybe grapefruit. Taste was very balanced between citrus hops and sweet malts. Drinkability was good except I hadn't eaten in 12 hours and drank a few with my meal and felt them pretty quick. I would love to visit this one again and maybe homebrew a clone. Always heard good things about the brewery and this beer. Both are right on. Tasty brew.
Cheers,
shertz (508 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Light copper in color with a centimeter of fluffy white head.

Biscuit and caramel hit the nose first with a nice earthy/citrusy note in the bacground.

Plenty of body and biscuity character with just the right amount hop spice. Light caramel notes with some slight hints of vanilla. This overall character and body really come off just like liquid bread but it drinks so well. The hops are subdued by the malt bill but add a nice subtle citrus and earthy note.

I am a huge fan of the drinkability of this American amber. It is obviously on the malty end of the spectrum but it stands alone among American ambers and has gathered a huge following. (648 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing