Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,855 | Hads: 7,615
4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours out to a nice orange color. Very inviting. The smell in my opinion is the bad part about this beer. It smells like bread, but in an unpleasant way. The taste is quite nice. Very subtle, with a nice round bitterness that is reminescent of chocolate or coffee. The initial contact with the beer to the tongue is very refreshing, with the bitterness and the malts rushing on as you swallow, and these melt away to leave a tiny trace of the alcohol. It feels pretty nice going down. Feels thicker than most beers, and the carbonation bubbles popping in your mouth gives it a "spicy" feeling. very exciting. Thicker than the average beer. This is a very drinkable beer, and I really love it! One of my favorites. (713 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I think this is an incredibly underrated beer. Now, in my experience, it does have a somewhat subtle flavor that doesn't always come out. But when it does, it's amazingly toasty and scrumptious, sort of like some sort of pastry. It's hard to describe; it's unique. (264 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Bottle is better than the can (as is usually the case). One of the better ambers I've come across. Not quite worthy of the cult-like following it has, but a great example of its type. The fact that I can't have it unless I'm on vacation probably enhances its desirability. (272 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured this one into my trusty 5 pound pint glass pinched from dive bar in Binghampton N.Y. Just had to have it.

Beautiful maple syrup amber with half inch head that sinks to a light skim.
Smells like sweet caramel, brown sugar with lemon grassy notes on the backside.
The taste is all about biscuit malt, pungent molasses, multiple cereal grains, with just enough hop, snap, crackle, and pop to balance things out just right.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied.
Overall I recommend this brew not only to beer geeks but to people who say they don't like beer. We all know these people: They tried beer once or twice when they were teens--pissy Coors or BudLight or some crap--and concluded that beer was not for them. Almost can't blame them. Sad stories all. This is the kind of brew they should try. (802 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

I've had Fat Tire many times before but felt compelled to review it after the great experience I had today.

Bought from the Charleston Beer Exchange for $4.99 for a growler fill. New Belgium promo where they were giving away glasses, bottle openers, decals, and they even threw in a free frisbee for me when I told them I drove 30 miles to come get this special.

A- Dark Copper color with a slight head. Looks great in my free New Belgium.

S- Sweet malty with a bit of hops

T- I'm normally a hop head, but the sweet maltiness of this beer is absolutely delicious. I don't know the technical terms, but a sweet "bready" flavor to this is how I'd describe it.

M- Feels great going down

Overall I love this beer. It's strange, I drank it a few times a while back but wasn't too impressed, but a couple of months ago I gave it another chance and have been drinking it steady ever since. Two thumbs up to New Belgium and CBX also for this great promo offer. (959 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Bought a nice big bottle of this, poured in a pint

A: pours a nice clear amber-orange, with a thin off white head, has some lacing

S: has a nice autumn aroma, wheat, grains

T: toasted malts, wheats, grains, malty, light hops

M: very crisp, refreshing, to me it reminds me of fall, medium carbonation

O: A great ale, smooth, crisp, refreshing, light but still hearty and flavorful.
(389 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

This pours a beautiful amber color with a two finger white head. The head falls unevenly like many belgians. I smell caramel aromas and some light hints of hops. The aroma is fairly strong and it makes me want to drink it immediately. I have no choice but to give in. The initial taste is exceptionally smooth with no flavors dominating over others. It has a nice caramelly buttery taste that is balanced well with hop floral aromas/tastes. The taste is very full bodied and finishes very clean. I would consider the drinkability high for this beer compared to other ambers, of which I am generally not fond. (608 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: Clear, copper-orange body with a two-finger, off-white head that easily rises above the edge of the glass. Lacing is brilliant and really lasts.

Aroma: Fat Tire has always been a bit thin on the nose. What you can detect is sweet, biscuity malt and a whiff of citrus.

Taste: Lightly-roasted, sweet, biscuity malt is the center-piece of Fat tire. A subdued, earthly hop-bitterness helps to balance the malt. Occasional shades of booze at the finish. The biscuity malt endures in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, somewhat creamy, and medium-bodied. Carbonation is moderate, in keeping with the style.

Drinkability: I know for a fact that one can drink a twelve pack in the course of an evening. I guess that says it all really.

Verdict: Fat tire is a nicely balanced, biscuity Amber Ale. Securely above average, but certainly not the most exciting beer in the New Belgium stable. A terrific "gateway beer," If there's ever been one. (949 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer is a must try. Don't buy old ones... check the date, and drink it on tap whenever possible. If you can get to the brewery try it there, it's completely different than anywhere else. Bottled it's good canned it's great, on tap it's darn near amazing. The cans are great for hikes and camping. New belgium's most stable beer. Don't get too caught up in it's nickname "flat-tire" (386 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Looks fantastic. It is a perfect coppery-reddish amber I look for in an amber ale. Soft white foamy head dissipates soon after. Smells like a great amber as well, somewhat modest with a sweeter scent. Not too much of a punch in the flavor however I find the mellow quality desirable. THere is a bit of an alcholic taste at first then dies down to a numbing sensation. Mouthfeel is incredible. Full thickness of the amber brew lingers in my mouth.
Had this beer had a better flavor, I would raise the overall score. As is, this beer rates a 4.25-4.5...Since it was room temp when I reviewed I will give it a 4.5.
Impressive ale here that I will enjoy again and again. (666 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Last night while still in California I was able to enjoy yet another great tasting beer - this one with the catchy name of Fat Tire.

The beer has a nice dark golden color that has light and dark highlights that accent quite nicely when candle light catches it just the right way. The head was lightly brown, frothy and had a bit of staying power - there was plenty of lacing the entire way down the bottle. What surprised me was the distinct caramel smell that I found appealing and added just a little to the taste. Mouthfeel wasn't anything spectacular, carbonation was a bit more than I like. Overall it was a great beer, I'm jealous with Californians, they have a very good selection of brews at their local restaurants. (725 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

New Belgium has just started rolling into Florida. The bottle has a commemorative Florida release label, cool touch. Basically, from what I've heard, Fat Tire is the Boston Lager of the West. A widely available and tasty malt-forward brew. And that's exactly what I got. The aroma is great, there's earthy hops hanging out with some sweeter caramel malts. Balance is really the name of the game all the way around, there's nice sweetness in the middle of this brew, but with a nice, mildly bitter aftertaste that stops it from being cloying. Extremely well-crafted, and one of the best choices for a more traditional (read: not a "red IPA") American Red. (654 characters)

Best by date: 02.02.14.
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 01.03.14.

A: See through amber/red. No head with aggressive pour.

S: Malt, raisins, caramel.

T: Caramel is dominant. Toast is there too. Subtle hops.

M: Creamy.

O: I thought that this was an interesting amber the first time that I tried it because it was different than others. (351 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Had this both on tap and in the bottle while on a working trip to the Mid-West. Orange in color, with lots of bubbles and lacing. Smell was fruity, maybe grapefruit. Taste was very balanced between citrus hops and sweet malts. Drinkability was good except I hadn't eaten in 12 hours and drank a few with my meal and felt them pretty quick. I would love to visit this one again and maybe homebrew a clone. Always heard good things about the brewery and this beer. Both are right on. Tasty brew.
Cheers,
shertz (508 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Light copper in color with a centimeter of fluffy white head.

Biscuit and caramel hit the nose first with a nice earthy/citrusy note in the bacground.

Plenty of body and biscuity character with just the right amount hop spice. Light caramel notes with some slight hints of vanilla. This overall character and body really come off just like liquid bread but it drinks so well. The hops are subdued by the malt bill but add a nice subtle citrus and earthy note.

I am a huge fan of the drinkability of this American amber. It is obviously on the malty end of the spectrum but it stands alone among American ambers and has gathered a huge following. (648 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Amber, light-orange color, with a one-finger head. Active carbonation and clear, even, lively consistency. Thick lacing and long retention.

Smell: Sweet malt aroma and slightly biscuity bouquet.

Taste: Sweet, malty flavor and a slightly sour and stale biscuit aftertaste. A well-built and balanced beer, as the brewer intended. Representative of the style.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth on the palate. Slightly lacking carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy to drink. Sweet, but almost too sweet. I will be having another. (537 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

poured from a bottle into a new belgium goblet

clear amber color with a decent head and ok lace.

smell is malts, dark chocolate, spice and hops

taste is bready, malts, a touch of spice, and celery. to me, it used to be a different beer every time you tried it, and different from every source. it seems to me that they have gotten the recipe to the point where it is now consistent everywhere

mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with a clean finish

overall, easy to drink and good flavor. this is the beer that got me transitioned me away from macros and into "real beer". definitely worth a try! (596 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

A good go to Amber when I travel and normal big box domestics won't cut it.

Hardy biscuit malt with suggestions of cherry & a faint floral scent.

Moderate body with a clean smoothness. Nice undertow of biscuity malt from start to finish. Light flash of hops to tame the malt a bit, some fruitiness becomes lively with hints of pear. (335 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

Wow... just let me saw WOW! what a uniquely gorgeous beer!

A - sunset burnt orange in color. 1 finger head with heavy density. Nice and cream. Translusent enough to see the perfect amount of carbonation bubbles floating to the top to help keep the consistancy of the head. And B E A U T I F U L lacings! After it sits the fuzzes makes a ring that DOES NOT go away. After each gulp there are rings indicating where the beer was at in the glass and they stay there untill the end of the beer.

S - earthy notes and undertones. very foresty. very roasted.

T - First reaction is that the beer taste like a bonfire. The aromas that emmit from camp fires or char coals was the taste of this beer. very unique and yummy. A must try, to understand first hand the experience of this burnt fire woody beer. almost like bourbon.

M - perfect mouthfeel to make this an almost dangerous beer. medium bodied, with a very clean finish. Did not sit this beer down very long at all.

Overall this is a great beer. One just to be drinking, one for festivities, one for parying, one for good ole times. The name is very misleading of its quality. (1,130 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

I like this beer a lot; it is one of my favorites. It is smooth, not overpowering, easy to drink, and has a good body. Its not too sweet like other New Belgium brands nor is it too bitter or too strong. Overall just the right balance of everything. A dark beer with light beer drinkability. (290 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

Pours a light amber to off copper color with little to no head. brilliantly clear

I love the aroma on this beer and always have. Fresh biscuits and toasted cracker with minimal earthy back tones

Flavor is crisp and malty. Starts with a subtle fruity notes then rolls into an intensely buscuit flavor and finishes with a nice dry bitterness and easy and light apricot/pear.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin and light. Good for the style

I could drink this thing non stop, love this beer and its simplicity. Yum.. (510 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

A - Clear amber with large, white, frothy head. Very nice lacing.

S - Sweet, malty aroma. Some earthy hops provide a grassy aroma as well.

T - Malty and sweet without being cloying. The finish has a slight touch of herbal hops flavor, but nothing bitter or biting. Just a tiny bit dry on the finish.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Substantial on the tongue but still refreshing.

D - The smooth flavor and moderate ABV make this one a great drinker. NB just hit the NC market this month, and I'm happy with my first taste from the brewery. Fat Tire isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's a nice alternative to the the hoppier beers that I often drink. I'll definitely be picking up more of this one. (715 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

A- Brilliantly clear light amber with moderate sized off-white head. The head dissipates to a smal covering, but leaves a nice full lacing behind.

A- Sweet malt aromas. Hints of biscuit malt. Quite a sweet bready aroma. Hints of caramel.

T- Right away I get that wonderful biscuit malt flavor, I've always thought of drinking this beer as eating delicious biscuits and washing it down with a nice beer. A bit sweeter than most amber ales I have had. Slight hop bitterness near the end. Aftertaste of biscuits!

M- Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. The sweetness isn't anywhere near cloying, but it is not crisp either.

D- This has been a favorite of mine mainly because of the biscuit malt I noticed as I was developing more of a taste for beer. Great beer for any occasion. (788 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

People are always coming into the store I work at and asking for this (we can't get it), so I was psyched to see it finally when I was in Arizona on vacation, and finally be able to find out why it was so popular with the tourists of RI. Overall, I think that while this brew strays from what I see as an Amber ale, it is still a very excellent beer. Color is amber, with a thin head that is sustained by steady streams of carbonation. Aroma is a soft chocolate scent with a twinge of tangy hops - mouthwatering. Taste is similar yet more varied, featuring a crisp hoppy start that is immediately accompanied by a rich chocolately malt, and finishes with the original dry-bitter (yet slightly fruity, apples and such) hoppiness. An awesome brew, I was glad to find it - and while is does deviate from a typical amber a little, I would chose this over most beers any day. (870 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to my friend Matt for bringing this back from Arizona for me. It's been a long time since I've had this.

APPEARANCE: Pours a crystal clear pale golden amber with a small but hearty white head. Bubbles cascade up the glass constantly refreshing the head giving it decent staying power.

SMELL: The aroma is predominantly of toasty malt. It smells almost like a rustic bread. A nutty sweetness hides a very mild hop aroma. Pretty nice.

TASTE: The smell carries over into the taste. Toasty and nutty with a nice mild sweetness. It's also got a bit of a smoky flavor to it. The finish is clean and crisp.

MOUTHFEEL: A crisp carbonation highlights a medium to medium-light bodied beer.

DRINKABILITY: Really good. I could drink these all night. 5.6% ABV might be a little high to be sessionable, but I'd still count it.

I've had this before, but it still kind of caught me off guard how nice it is. I really wish it were available on the east coast. I'd sure buy more. (986 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing