Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
1.15/5  rDev -68%

Drank it straight out of the bottle.

This beer smells like someone stale beer in a plastic cup from the party the night before.

Tastes like someone dropped a greasy wrench in the water then brewed the beer. I dread belching and having to taste it again.

Mouthfeel low carbonation, very little aftertaste; flat finish.

Drinkability: I can barely finish one. Even though it is 3 months before the exp. date, it seems flat and on the verge of getting skunky.

I bought the variety pack to try the various Fat Tire Ales and I am very disappointed with the amber ale.

1.18/5  rDev -67.1%

Pours a orange copper color with a thick yellow white head and very little lacing. Smells of malt, a little hops, and a little vanilla and citrus in there. Tastes mostly of sweet malts, rotten eggs, or something that has spoiled. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability is poor.

1.25/5  rDev -65.2%

1.25/5  rDev -65.2%

1.28/5  rDev -64.3%

1.48/5  rDev -58.8%

1.48/5  rDev -58.8%

I've tried to like this beer on many occasions, but I just can't. It was actually hard for me to finish my last one, and I'm not one to like the idea of struggling to finish ANY beer. It's just way too malty and soapy for my tastes. A shame, too, because I happen to like a lot of other New Belgium styles.

1.64/5  rDev -54.3%

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%

I tried this one on-tap at the Hard Rock Cafe in San Diego while on vacation. We were bar hopping and I think this was the third place I went to that suggested I try this particular beer after I asked what good craft beers they had available. So I finally decided I'd give it a whirl. To be honest, I dont have a clue what those southern californians were thinking because I was terribly unimpressed by this beer.

It had an auburn tint, transparent, with very little carbonation at all. I usually dont like quaffing flat beers and this was no exception. Not a lot of flavor, a bit bready. I'd almost just assume have a busch light if you could believe that. So for 5 bucks a pint, this wasnt one of my best purchases.

1.7/5  rDev -52.6%

Lots of people praise this beer and I had to go to a couple of stores to find a bottle. I really wish I hadn't been able to find it.

The smell is something horrid. Like the inside of a warm rubber or something. The taste was like a stale cracker or bread crust. Maybe it would go better with some kind of food, but by itself, it was not refreshing.

Sat on my stomach like a heavy brick.

1.73/5  rDev -51.8%

I had this on a freezing winter night this past year. I heard rave reviews of it and saw countless people buying pitchers at my local wing joint and decided to give it a try. It was slightly black in appearance and tasted like gasoline. I don't feel that I received a good batch or something else was wrong with it because it didn't look the same as when i had seen it in the past. I'd be willing to give it another go if it was offered to me.

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%