2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Ratings: 5,490 | Reviews: 1,753 | Show All Ratings:
Beric

Indiana

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: On tap, shaker pint
Served: 11 April 2014

Appearance: Brownish red with a cream colored white head. Head seemed pretty intense, but the bartender poured it off the beer when he was pouring it. Left some lacing.

Smell: Soft assertion of chewy caramel.

Taste: Some caramel maltiness with a slightly bitter finish. No hop presence other than the hint of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light with lively carbonation. A very refreshing brew.

Overall: An unimposing beer than is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Tastes like a toned-back Maerzen, which is itself not an imposing style. I would have liked to see a fuller assertion of the malts, with slightly more caramel/molasses notes. Not a bad beer, but probably not one I would buy for personal consumption at home.

04-12-2014 18:28:26 | More by Beric
Paincane

Georgia

A: Clear amber body with off-white head and great lacing.
S: Roasty malt & lightly floral aromas.
T: Caramel, toffee malt flavors with nice hoppy back end and dry finish.
M: Smooth body with dry crisp finish.
O: Well-balanced brew that is quite enjoyable.

03-22-2014 23:02:43 | More by Paincane
PaulAndrew

Arkansas

1.73/5  rDev -51.8%

I had this on a freezing winter night this past year. I heard rave reviews of it and saw countless people buying pitchers at my local wing joint and decided to give it a try. It was slightly black in appearance and tasted like gasoline. I don't feel that I received a good batch or something else was wrong with it because it didn't look the same as when i had seen it in the past. I'd be willing to give it another go if it was offered to me.

03-09-2014 08:57:39 | More by PaulAndrew
gr0g

3.41/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Coppery-amber in color, about one finger of foam in the mug. Crown of lace all around the glass. Floral, aromatic hops. Citrusy, but not as much as the hoppy ambers I'm used to (such as Troegs Hopback). Underlying Caramel malt note.

Moderate hop bitterness in the flavor, but little grapefruit or other citrus. Toffee malt backbone with solid bitterness. Not really a lot going on, but nothing offensive either. Crisp hop bite keeps it from being too boring. Mouthfeel is slick with some prickly carbonation.

Kind of bland overall, but I could see how this would make a good gateway craft beer.

01-19-2014 17:51:02 | More by gr0g
Josh24

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

My first new Belgium beer and after having it on tap I went and bought a 12 pack of cans the next day.

I really liked this amber ale in both cans and on draft.

Smooth tasting and easy to drink all night.

Great color and pour. Nothing crazy but just an overall solid drinkable beer
Give it a shot

01-05-2014 02:27:18 | More by Josh24
azorie

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a place holder review on draft until I can try it in the bottle.

A: I had this on draft in a tall glass. Red in color. Clear. Served sadly to cold. Flat, no lacing. no head

S: It has a nice light hoppy perfume like note. Some Light cereal notes, some light hay and straw malt notes. sweet light yeast notes.

T: nice malty PA like beer with a nice refreshing hop bite aftertaste. body was and is light to medium, sort of in between to me. The texture was kind of thin. average carbonation, bitter finish.
Nice beer to drink, nothing fancy, but nice. not much kick even in a big pour, I had another 1.
Its a good beer and its goes well with lunch. Good long lasting flovor, lightly sweet, acid and bitter was all light, no bad notes.

m: Thin texture, soft carbonation (low). easy to drink. Nice aftertaste. light body etc.

O: its a good PA type beer. I liked and enjoyed it, had it 4 times now on draft. I need to buy a 6 pack and try it at home.

12-16-2013 15:47:52 | More by azorie
57md

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The hype that accompanies this beer almost required me to sample it when I saw it on-tap at one of my favorite watering holes.

Appearance is a light copper with less than a finger of head. The nose is quite mild in general; perhaps there was a hint of citrus. The flavor profile is light with a mild bitterness on the finish. This offering would make for a very fine session beer during warmer months, but it does not come close to living up to the hype.

11-09-2013 07:06:34 | More by 57md
PaulyB83

2.71/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at Red Lobster

A- Bright orange-amber color. Slightly off-white head

S- Not getting much of anything, some caramel malts and faint nobel hop type aromas

T- Weak, and very watery, closer to a BMC than a craft brewed beer. Getting less malt and hops in the taste than the aroma

M- Thin but easy drinking I guess

O- New Belgium is hit or miss for me with more misses than hits. La Folie was great and their triple and abbey is a good cheap american version of those styles. But this one being one of their flagship beers I expected more flavor. When it comes to easy drinking amber ales I will stick to my Bell's.

09-14-2013 19:24:08 | More by PaulyB83
megalownote

South Carolina

4.26/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. In my opinion it's best when you can get it on tap, but still quite good in the bottle if served in a good glass. It had a slight biscuit taste. Overall, you can't go wrong with this beer, and to top it off, it's sold almost everywhere, which is nice when there's no other options except macro brews.

08-11-2013 23:37:40 | More by megalownote
uld2541

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sam Adam's west, really the best way I can think to describe it. It's definitely a solid, all-around lager, but nothing really insanely different or artistic about it; a real, "meat-and-potatoes" kind of brew.

It's appearance is a dark amber with a moderate head that stays around for awhile. The smell is very malty (biscuit is a strong note) with a slight floral aroma (much less hoppy than say a Sam Adams). It's a pretty thick beer with solid mouth-feel and it goes down quite well.

Like I said, overall, not too bad. I used to disdain this beer, but it's grown on me, especially since I'm finding it more and more in places that don't serve a lot of craft beer (great alternative to your Miller Lite crap), but then again, Sam was the same way with me.

08-08-2013 00:06:10 | More by uld2541
don3422

Colorado

4.86/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go to beer whenever I am out. It is generally available anywhere. I prefer beers that are higher in malt flavoring than hoppy beers. This one has a good head, and though it says amber it has a slightly darker color. But the taste is what gets you, refreshing every time.

07-15-2013 17:28:48 | More by don3422
elNopalero

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a light auburn amber with thin foaming. There’s a hint of a caramel malt aroma, with a touch of caramel and a pinch of roast flavor. It’s a sweetish finish but not all that exciting to drink.

However, that being said…

Last time I had Fat Tire I was drinking it from a can while floating down the Guadalupe River. Those were some good times and that was a good beer for the occasion. From the bottle it lacks that creamy, frothy mouthfeel. I’m guessing there’s something to be said about the can vs. bottle, especially if the beer is can-conditioned, because that oomph is completely missing in the bottled pour.

06-24-2013 03:15:09 | More by elNopalero
EricThompsono

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Very nice beer to say the least. Glad it will be waiting for me when I get back to Florida. Light and easy with nothing for a rookie to fear. This was one of my first introductions to craft beer and it set a nice tone. The owner of the brewery is big on charity work so thats a plus as well.

06-21-2013 22:51:05 | More by EricThompsono
TastyAdventure

Kentucky

3.16/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is just a hair better than Amberbock from Michelob.

Seriously. New Belgian brewing Company? You all need to change your name. Belgium is where the BEST of the best beers come from.

The appearance is just like Amberbock, light caramel color, plenty of fermentation.

The smell. what smell? standard beer. just like any BMC I guess. I don't know, I didnt find it worth here to linger much.

Taste - See Amberbock. Watered down Ale. slight caramel flavor, some vague bitterness to balanced.

Mouthfeel - Beer. BMC. whatever.

06-15-2013 00:06:17 | More by TastyAdventure
2181beer

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Interestingly enough this is one of the first beers that got me started venturing into craft beer. At first, it thought it was a really great beer. Having drank hundreds of craft beers since then and drinking it now, it's an average beer. You can taste the caramel malt in this beer and smell it as well. Very drinkable, but I look for more of a "wow" factor.

05-31-2013 20:55:57 | More by 2181beer
Treyliff

West Virginia

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark amber-red color with great clarity, small creamy white head with short retention and lacing

S- slightly sweet caramel malt with dry floral hop and a touch of citrus, lightly buiscity malt at the end

T- slightly toasted grainy malt with a touch of caramel sweetness, floral and citrus bite on the end, dry finish

M- medium body with medium-high carbonation, foamy mouthfeel and finish

O- a solid amber ale, always a good choice over BMC, but not something I'd put on the top of my list

05-31-2013 01:36:38 | More by Treyliff
TabletDude

3.11/5  rDev -13.4%

The waitress told me it was a Belgian Ale, and although it had a hint of Belgian characteristics, I found it to be wanting in fullness of body and taste.
I see that it is classified as an American Amber Ale and agree that is a more fitting description.

03-24-2013 21:41:46 | More by TabletDude
Rast

Maryland

2.79/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Served ice cold at Matthew's 1600 in Catonsville, MD, so I gave her a few minutes to warm up for proper consumption & rating. The appearance has a pleasant golden amber hue. Inoffensive, but nice enough to look at. Nose was lacking. Malt, I suppose? This is a beer, correct? Taking my first sip, the carbonation gives way to runny ale seething abt my teeth. I felt provoked to swallow. Taste is OK. Inoffensive. Medium-grade malt flavor with light hop under/overs. I can't figure why this beer is the flavor of the spell, but it's a serviceable enough upgrade over mass-produced lite beers. You can do better.

03-21-2013 01:55:46 | More by Rast
jjamadorphd

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Last night while still in California I was able to enjoy yet another great tasting beer - this one with the catchy name of Fat Tire.

The beer has a nice dark golden color that has light and dark highlights that accent quite nicely when candle light catches it just the right way. The head was lightly brown, frothy and had a bit of staying power - there was plenty of lacing the entire way down the bottle. What surprised me was the distinct caramel smell that I found appealing and added just a little to the taste. Mouthfeel wasn't anything spectacular, carbonation was a bit more than I like. Overall it was a great beer, I'm jealous with Californians, they have a very good selection of brews at their local restaurants.

03-08-2013 01:35:56 | More by jjamadorphd
Bronks

This beer is one of my favorites from a great brewery with excellent standards. A staple for any place with a craft beer selection! We will be keeping this beer on our list for a long time! We will also be rotating New Belgium's seasonal selections!

01-18-2013 15:03:26 | More by Bronks
Ford

4.06/5  rDev +13.1%

On tap at Berryhill Baja Grill in Webster, Texas

There were only three beers on tap here that I would drink. I hadn't had Fat Tire in a long time, so I went and ahead and ordered one. Great decision!

First let me say, this beer goes great with Mexican food.... really paired well with the Tamales I orderd.. and the black beans... oh and the chips and salsa.

It's malty with a touch of bitterness... amber color....

Every once in a while you just need to revisit a classic.. and Fat Tire has been around for a long time now it seems... one of the first craft beers I ever had in fact... glad I had it again.

01-18-2013 02:41:36 | More by Ford
gnftr44

4.13/5  rDev +15%

Slightly cloudy appearance with a uniquely sweet aroma. Smooth taste with a fruity finish.

Very easy to drink and has no negative aspects. Particularly enjoyed drinking the Fat Tire slowly and with a non-spicy meal such as fries.

Overall a solid daytime draft beer.

12-29-2012 20:30:16 | More by gnftr44
Alextricity

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

For MONTHS I've been seeing Fat Tire advertisements around Michigan, and I just finally had one on draft. At $3 for a 20oz, I figured, why not?

Appearance: I feel like it's not even fair to judge a beer on tap because I've just found that any beer will look better when it comes on draft... this beer looked awesome. Had a small, creamy head that went away pretty quickly, but the lacing was great.

Smell: Has a dry, malt aroma. My friends like to say the smell is reminiscent of a "wet trunk". I can't disagree with that, but it's not an off-putting smell to me.

Taste/feel: Much like the smell. I've had a few ambers, and I find this tastes a little bit different. Most ambers I've had have had that "trunk" smell and taste, but Fat Tire's not quite the same. Not a fantastic beer by any means, but it's drinkable and cheap. The feel on this one is probably as good as I think it is because of it being on-tap... smooth and easy drinking.

Fat Tire's a solid beer all around. When left with this or the option of several BMCs, this one clearly wins.

12-17-2012 23:26:29 | More by Alextricity
kojevergas

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Served on-draught into a pilsner glass. Expectations are average; I'd had it from the bottle before. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a beige floater. Body colour is a semitransparent amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Amber malts, caramel, hints of butterscotch? Some biscuit malt. A mild strength aroma.

T: Amber malts, caramel, and biscuit malt. Clean but simple. Pleasant and balanced. Little yeast comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Suits the flavour decently. A touch too heavy on the palate for the lack of diverse or bold flavour. Good thickness. Overcarbonated.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable. A good beer for drinking at a bar on the cheap, but it's lackluster. Overpriced at $6.00. New Belgium makes far better beers.

Low C+

11-06-2012 17:41:46 | More by kojevergas
tectactoe

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color, fairly translucent, with a slightly off-white head, thick and fluffy looking, decent retention and a little bit of lacing. The smell is malts, malts, and malts all day. A tiny bit of a floral aroma can be picked up if you really force yourself to find it, but the malts are what smacks you in the face. The taste is quite nice - clearly lots of roasted malts, most heavily in the form of burnt caramel, toffee, and light, milk chocolate. This sweetness is counterbalanced by a subtle, yet apparent hop sting that jumps out about two-thirds of the way through. Slightly piney, the slight touch of bitterness at the tail end leaves your mouth in perfect harmony from the jumbo sweetness of the up-front malts. Medium body, medium to high carbonation, decent mouthfeel.

Very tasty amber ale, I'm glad New Belgium finally brought this product to Michigan. Easy to drink and enjoyable, plus it's relatively inexpensive and is being served at a lot of local places!

11-03-2012 03:19:06 | More by tectactoe