Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,855 | Hads: 7,614

Look: Pours a nice copper amber color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Fruity, toasty, biscuity

Taste: Fruitiness, biscuity toasted malts

Feel: Light to medium body with good carbonation

Overall: A pretty good amber ale, something I'd never turn up but might not often seek out (302 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours from tap into plastic cup at local bowling alley bar. Looks and smells like a lager much more than an amber. Almosy zero head. Aroma is generic beer smell with mild malty notes. Flavor is not as pronounced as i would expect from an amber. Mildly hoppy, malty, smooth but could benefit from more bitterness and hoppy notes. Overall a good beer but taste like a fancy budweiser with a few added hops. (406 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I’m not gunna lie. I first tried this beer when I was like 12 and it was something I sampled several times throughout my teenage years. I drank it only seldom in my adult life, but wanted to drink it again while I generate my review for it in order to ensure the most accurate review. It gives this beer a nostalgic component that might increase its overall score by a half point or so. So keep that in mind.

Look-It pours a perfect amber color (and is clear) that the Brewers really nailed. The head is off-white and 2 fingers foamy, but then settles down to a thinner layer.

Smell-The aroma is biscuit, fruity, a pinch of yeast and herbal hops that are almost imperceptible.

Taste-This crisp and drinkable beer brings joy to your body as it fills your mouth with a pleasant smoky breaded malt-forward, but inconspicuous flavor where the hops are mild and herbal.

Mouthfeel-This beer is crisp, smooth, and with mild carbonation. I would say that this brew is well-balanced and subtle. This beer is not loud and obnoxious. It is perfect and it is mild.

Overall-Like I said, this beer has a nostalgic component for personal reasons, but it is such a great go-to beer that I can’t help but give it praise. The components are all humble and quiet, but if you listen then you’ll pick up on a chorus of beauty and flavor that is unlike any other amber ale. And lastly, I must say that in the world of Amber ales, this beer has the most perfect color that the name demands. (1,483 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

I like a few of New Belgium's beers. Tried this one. YUK! Smells sour, tastes sour, and has a slightly metallic aftertaste. WISH I had not spent the $ on it, but I thought since it was a "standard" amber ale, it would be good. Will NOT buy again. (246 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed from a 12oz bottle.

This is a simple amber. Not complex in the slightest. Nothing bold, crazy, or out of the ordinary. It's a refreshing beer and one that I'll come back to time and again when I don't want something complex. If you've been drinking craft for any length of time, this beer really needs no explanation. (327 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

I remember about ten years ago when it seemed that this beer got too popular for its own good and you could find it everywhere. I think I drank a few cases one summer when I was first drinking beer- it was one of the first craft beers I developed a taste for and then I got tired of it. I had one for the first time in years at an Indian restaurant that didn't have great selection and was pleasantly surprised. Sure it's nothing earth shattering but in an approachable way its actually remarkably complex. What we have is a Belgian influenced American take on a classic English style: a big biscuity sweet malty body hopped just a little heavier and pinier than an English beer with that weird funky Belgian yeast flavor. And it comes together and makes sense. Not too shabby. (777 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Clear amber with an off-white head. Aroma is sweet, malty, caramel and light fruity. Flavor is medium sweet and moderate bitter. Sweet and moderate bitter finish. (162 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Gave the beer a firm pour. It settled in about 20 seconds to a dull white, fluffy head, which itself settled after a minute or two. Good strong lacing on the glass. The beer is quite clear and to the orange side of amber, with the occasional bubble.

S: Nose has the expected biscuit base with a fair bit of clover honey and a smattering of secondary aromas. Lemon peel and a hint of green olives come to mind. As it warms some nuttiness, like peanut butter, comes forward.

T: Crackery malts, somewhere between a wheat thin and a water cracker, dominate. Light, pilsnery hop bitterness arrives second, and the finish has a faint green-tea aspect.

M: Decent weight lends to the bready character of the beer. Finish is lingering and a little sticky.

D: This is a good beer but not a great beer. The emphasis on malt is a nice change of pace in a hop-obsessed culture. Don't have this beer with a sandwich, it's too much bread in your meal. Instead, try it with some cold cuts, some cold sliced vegetables, and some chunks of sharp cheese. Too heavy to be a session beer but a good one to keep on hand throughout an afternoon. A great "autumn" beer. (1,197 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

ICooper color that looks like a pale ale. White head that quickly dissipated. Notes of caramel and biscuit. Light bodied.

Nothing special for the craft beer drinker, but it's solid and there's nothing offensive about it. (222 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -25.1%

I expected very good things from this beer. The bottle was pleasing to the eye, the name interesting. I picked it up to give it a fair shot. I never removed it from the bottle, but it looked nice and amber-ish yellow. I took a drink and it felt decent to the tongue, nice and light (although I prefer a heavier beer,) but it tasted awful, almost sour. It was mildly acidic and pleasantly bubbly, but nothing could make up for the awful taste. I was sorely disappointed to have paid 10 dollars for a six pack so I gave one to my grandfather, who's first words after his first sip were "That tastes like shit." The old man has spoken. (634 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This is a great american amber. Pours slightly brownish amber in color, off white head, full body, malty with a little hop bittering. easily drinkable. (151 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

As I've mentioned, I'm not a fan of the hop bombs, so when I go for an ale I prefer something more reminiscent of a lager. I'd also noted that the Boont Amber ale seemed to have a bit more of a hoppy bite than the New Belgium; so, I just tried the Fat Tire again and it's more complex than I remembered. Light nose; citrus, vanilla and sourdough—I know, makes no sense to me, either. Semi-sweet chocolate on toast was my initial impression on tasting, followed by a gentle mix of grapefruit and licorice. I like this beer. A lot. (531 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -9.9%

A 12 fl oz bottle with an enjoy by date of 19th July 2015 and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It poured an extremely clear deep copper colour with a one finger white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Slightly weak aromas, but there’s biscuit and bread like notes, slight caramel and also a touch of apple.

Taste: It’s quite similar to the aromas. I get biscuit malts, caramel and some apple juice. I’m not really getting that much hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and medium to high carbonation.

Overall: This was decent and easy to drink but not amazing. I wouldn’t actively seek it, but if I could find a fresher bottle, I’d try it. (656 characters)

If I can't drink at least 6....I don't really want to drink the beer. To many craft beers are to thick sugared up and over hyped....virtually undrinkable. The real trick in brewing is making a great tasting drinkable beer....and this is definitely one of them. One of my favorites! Great malty biscut like flavor with hints of fruit flavors. Very enjoyable.... I could drink 12 easily. Note: Isn't it interesting that the most popular beers are ranked the lowest......go figure. Beer nerds know more than any one I suppose. (530 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty bland amber ale. Easy to drink but gets boring halfway through. I think there are better Amber Ales out there so I do not plan on picking this up again. (161 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

OK, I love this beer. I'm sure there are better examples of an amber ale out there but I haven't tried them. The hops are there but just enough to give a wonder flavor without all the bitterness. Slight hint of orange which is odd because I consider adding fruit flavor to a beer to be a waste of beer...and fruit. This could easily be a daily drinker for me. (359 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - A golden brew, slightly cast to its transparency, and a white head, tight and short. Significant lacing.

S - Quiet, with a slight toasty grain note, somewhat sour.

T - Malt forward, with a caramel and wheat bread note, and a slightly bitter hop note in the close.

M - Light and easy on the tongue, a good drinker.

O - A solid amber that delivers a solid malt forward brew, with subtle but delicious bread flavor, and a clearing, clean close that keeps things rolling along. An easily drinkable beer perfect for a long, multi-bottle session. (550 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A decent beer. Nice head, definitely malt-forward sweet biscuit, a little hint of roastiness, nice earthy hop flavor with understated bitterness. I first tried this beer 15 or 16 years ago when it already had a cult following but was much harder to find. Then, as now, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe the hype was justified in the late 90s, when great beer was harder to find. Maybe BA should add a "Nostalgia factor" to the rating categories. (459 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a can

L: Pours a clear deep amber with a thick white head.

S: Biscuits and malts. Minimal hops.

T/F: Pretty benign flavor. Biscuits and grains. Lightly malty. Like the nose pretty minimal on the hops. Moderately carbonated and crisp.

O: Well made Amber but nothing special and New Belgium has way better stuff to offer. Readily available and way better than you average macros. Good for an introduction to craft beer. (440 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

Average beer. Better than the adjunct/light beers but not quite at the level of many of the other craft beers out there. Hits the mark for an Amber Ale but didn't amaze me. Good beer for an afternoon session. (208 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on draft in a prisoner glass. Pours a deep brown with good clarity. Head is dense with microbubbles and extra white in color. Smell is malty and nutty and taste is very similar and not complex. (200 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent baseline amber. Sweet malty smell, a bit yeasty, but not very strong. Taste is malty also, biscuity and reminds me of a Scotch ale. Refreshing and one-note. Not much hops aroma or taste in it at all. (208 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've tried this beer several times, most recently on tap at a local pub. There is certainly nothing amazing about this beer. It is smooth, tasty, primarily malt-forward and inoffensive. This would be an excellent "transition" beer to help move people from mass-produced adjuncts to beer that has more flavour and soul. (318 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Wasn't sure what to expect with this beer, ambers being one of the styles I'm less enamored with. It was surprisingly refreshing, the mouthfeel was simultaneously crisp but also had a malt creaminess that I enjoyed. (215 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my first craft beers...after drinking mostly piss water for years (mainly miller lite and bud light), this is a good beer to start the transition into nice, craft beer. Poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint glass, it has a nice bright amber appearance with a 1" white foamy head with decent lacing. Rich in flavor and normal thickness for an American Amber ale, goes down rather smooth . Easy to drink and fairly easy to find. (Be patient, this was my first review,lol) (481 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing