Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,549 | Reviews: 1,943
4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This is a great american amber. Pours slightly brownish amber in color, off white head, full body, malty with a little hop bittering. easily drinkable.

3.89/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Vegas antes da balada Precisa estar bem gelada

4.31/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

As I've mentioned, I'm not a fan of the hop bombs, so when I go for an ale I prefer something more reminiscent of a lager. I'd also noted that the Boont Amber ale seemed to have a bit more of a hoppy bite than the New Belgium; so, I just tried the Fat Tire again and it's more complex than I remembered. Light nose; citrus, vanilla and sourdough—I know, makes no sense to me, either. Semi-sweet chocolate on toast was my initial impression on tasting, followed by a gentle mix of grapefruit and licorice. I like this beer. A lot.

3.26/5  rDev -9.2%

A 12 fl oz bottle with an enjoy by date of 19th July 2015 and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It poured an extremely clear deep copper colour with a one finger white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Slightly weak aromas, but there’s biscuit and bread like notes, slight caramel and also a touch of apple.

Taste: It’s quite similar to the aromas. I get biscuit malts, caramel and some apple juice. I’m not really getting that much hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and medium to high carbonation.

Overall: This was decent and easy to drink but not amazing. I wouldn’t actively seek it, but if I could find a fresher bottle, I’d try it.

4.64/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

buena cheve, libera, no tan pesada, esta bien entre camaradas que quieren probar cosas buenas

If I can't drink at least 6....I don't really want to drink the beer. To many craft beers are to thick sugared up and over hyped....virtually undrinkable. The real trick in brewing is making a great tasting drinkable beer....and this is definitely one of them. One of my favorites! Great malty biscut like flavor with hints of fruit flavors. Very enjoyable.... I could drink 12 easily. Note: Isn't it interesting that the most popular beers are ranked the lowest......go figure. Beer nerds know more than any one I suppose.

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

So obnoxiously average. Nothing really stands out about this Amber.

2.53/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty bland amber ale. Easy to drink but gets boring halfway through. I think there are better Amber Ales out there so I do not plan on picking this up again.

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Easy to drink. Not complex by any means but not bad. Very subtle.

4.56/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've heard this was okay but not great, beat thing I could find at a local market on vacation and I was pleasantly surprised.

Ehhh . Nothing special. Bready, biscuity. Golden honey color. Not much head whatsoever. Session beer for sure.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A decent beer. Middle of the road.

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

OK, I love this beer. I'm sure there are better examples of an amber ale out there but I haven't tried them. The hops are there but just enough to give a wonder flavor without all the bitterness. Slight hint of orange which is odd because I consider adding fruit flavor to a beer to be a waste of beer...and fruit. This could easily be a daily drinker for me.

2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

About as generic as an amber can get. Just not a lot there.

4.56/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A delicious beer that is so smooth

This beer is incredible. Easily one of my favorites.

My favorite craft beer of all time

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - A golden brew, slightly cast to its transparency, and a white head, tight and short. Significant lacing.

S - Quiet, with a slight toasty grain note, somewhat sour.

T - Malt forward, with a caramel and wheat bread note, and a slightly bitter hop note in the close.

M - Light and easy on the tongue, a good drinker.

O - A solid amber that delivers a solid malt forward brew, with subtle but delicious bread flavor, and a clearing, clean close that keeps things rolling along. An easily drinkable beer perfect for a long, multi-bottle session.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A decent beer. Nice head, definitely malt-forward sweet biscuit, a little hint of roastiness, nice earthy hop flavor with understated bitterness. I first tried this beer 15 or 16 years ago when it already had a cult following but was much harder to find. Then, as now, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe the hype was justified in the late 90s, when great beer was harder to find. Maybe BA should add a "Nostalgia factor" to the rating categories.

4.51/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

More into the IPAs but they did a great job on this style. Not too heavy or sweet like some amber ales.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

Very nice beer. Hoppy flavor, not at all bitter.

4.27/5  rDev +18.9%

Great for a summer day. Well named, sorta flat but finishes strong.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Very good beer. Not too hopy.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is currently fav beer. Love the taste

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a can

L: Pours a clear deep amber with a thick white head.

S: Biscuits and malts. Minimal hops.

T/F: Pretty benign flavor. Biscuits and grains. Lightly malty. Like the nose pretty minimal on the hops. Moderately carbonated and crisp.

O: Well made Amber but nothing special and New Belgium has way better stuff to offer. Readily available and way better than you average macros. Good for an introduction to craft beer.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing