Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,890 | Hads: 7,849
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this at Hero's West in Joliet - on tap. $4.50 for a half liter glass.

I used to drink this beer regularly when I lived in St. Louis. This is my "miller" like beer. It's not gourmet, or something overly special. What is it? An excellent beer for relaxing, hanging out at the sports bar, or drinking after mowing the lawn.

Appearance: Beautiful, clear, rich amber color. It has a nice frothy head, and average lacing on the glass.

Smell: You can smell grain, somewhat floral rosy hops, and a sweet biscut like malt flavor. Not an overly strong scent.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mild and sweet, smooth. Mild body. Smooth and refreshing.

Drinkability: Good refreshing beer, very uncomplicated and excellent for relaxation.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

I like this beer quite a bit, and I may have even reviewed it before. It has a nice copper color to it, with an off-white head. Smells sort of bready, and tastes so, as well. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation, and drinkability is good.

My main issue with this beer is the cost. I mostly get it because I like the 22oz bottle, but at the local Jewel, the regular price is $3.99 per bottle !!! Now, I would never pay that. I get it at Teddy's Liquors for $2.69, but even at that, it's way over-priced. Yet, I still get it.... oh well. I still like it.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

From the bottle into a shaker glass - Pours a light golden color. Aroma is malty and maybe some caramel as well. Flavor is also malty with some hoppiness. This is one of my standbys when I don’t want to spend too much extra on a gourmet beer. Currently comes by the case for about $28 in Coeur d’Alene’s Costco.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a small white head and a decent amount of lace.
S: Smells of caramel, bready yeast, and malts.
T: Very malty and bready taste. Leaves a distinct aftertaste. Very unique for an Amber.
M: Medium/Light bodied beer with a high amount of carbonation.
D: Fairly high. It's not the best tasting Amber, but I'd definitely take one in a pinch.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Copper, golden amber color, decent sized white head with lacing around the cup

Smell: Hops, malty, almost a good yeasty smell, roasted nutty hints

Taste: malt flavors, nutty, earthy

Mouthfeel: Clean, well balanced, not too heavy of carbonation

Overall: Delicious! Full flavored, all around great qualities, doesn't lack in any area of in any significance

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Amber colored with gold highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head on the pour with some decent lacing. The smell is strong malt with some hop bitterness. The taste is of biscuit, sweet malt with some hop towards the end. Good carbonation. For me, this is the definition of the amber style ale. A great go to beer.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%

A very tasty amber ale. Has the typical red look to it once poured in the glass. To me, the smell is a bit deceiving but still not a bad smell at all. Taste is excellent, far better than any other amber ale I've drank. Drinkability is also excellent, goes great by itself or with a meal if you so choose.

1.86/5  rDev -48.3%

Before we start, I will say that this beer is much better on tap. But we're reveiwing the bottle here. Pours a pale amber with a decent head. Try not to smell this beer if you can avoid it. Smells like a compost pile. The flavor is just off. Skunky and unpleasant. In the mouth it feels like beer, but you don't really want it in your mouth because it taste so off. Not really drinkable at all. New Belgium makes much better beer than this.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a clean amber into my glass with a fluffy head, which sadly remained but a few minutes before subsiding with little lacing to remind me it was once there.
Right from the pour you know this beer is about malt. Heady biscuity aromas prepare you for what is a very malty beer. Again, smooth biscuit caresses the palate, with a slightly grainy finish, and only a little bitter bite. The taste is lovely, but you won't find a complexity of flavours to distinguish from.
Very smooth, medium bodied. Quite drinkable. I will be trying this again sometime.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

From tasting notes. This is a go-to beer for me as it's widely available where I live. Fat tire was also the first true "craft beer" I tried back in college.

A- Medium-amber, somewhat effervescent. Lacing is about finger-width with moderate retention.

S- Scents of honey, roasted malt, and biscuits. Pleasant but not overpowering.

T- Honey flavors are present in the front palate, transitioning to slightly citrusy hop bitterness. Finishes malty.

M- Medium-bodied, average mouthfeel. Nothing special but nothing detrimental either.

D- Very drinkable and balanced amber ale that pairs well with many foods. Easy to see why it's so popular.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

A:pours an amber- burnt orange color with three fingers of soapy white head and lacing that clings to the glass the whole way through.

S:yeast roll and grains with a slight piny smell at first with pear-like notes coming through later on.very inviting.

T:just like the bottle said a bready yeast roll hits you at first followed by a roasted malt and finishing with slight piny hop bitterness in the after taste

M:Medium body from what i can tell.i'm sure i just don't have the right vocabulary to describe it but it seems....rich.very refreshing though.

D:I can,and have,put away quite a few a these in a sitting good for a cool fall afternoon on the front porch or a hot summer day at the lake.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

I had Fat Tire at a bar and in my opinion its ok but nothing special about. It had a nice look smelled nice and did go down really smooth but there was nothing to make me want to keep drinking Fat Tire amber ale again or go out to buy a 6 pack. I guess ill only drink it again if some one else buys lol.

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours nicely into a snifter glass with just about 2 fingers of slightly cream colored head.

The fragrance of the brew is filled with caramel notes that ends with the slightest scent of fruit.

This beer is highly touted, and in my opinion it lives up to the hype. The taste is bursting with buttery caramel notes, after ingested the exhale though the nose adds the biscuit flavor that ties it all together.

The exceptional tastes is accommodated by a medium mouthfeel.

Very drinkable, but since I can not get this beer in PA, I can only enjoy this beer sparingly.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

appearance: small tan/white head, nice amber appearance...nice lookin' brew.

smell: lots of malts. sweet. fine.

taste: sweet malts leaving a residual sweetness after the swallow. not generally my cup of tea, but it is refreshing and not so overly sweet like some ambers or browns.

mouthfeel: perfect for this beer. not too full...if it was any fuller the sweetness and thick mouthfeel would play off each other in a bad way. as it is the beer is smooth and sessionable.

Overall: there was a time that i did not like this beer at all as i tend to lean toward pale ales, ipas, etc. and shy away from the ambers and brown ales. however, this is a good beer and is one that i will now buy on occasion and truly enjoy. i was once told that this beer was produced to be a crossover beer..one that can be enjoyed by both beer geeks and the less casual beer drinker. i appreciate this, and i like craft breweries making beer that is easy drinking and has mass, commercial appeal.

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

I've had this beer many times, but never really analyzed it until recently. Smells so sweet and malty awesome. Bitterness is right on for the style, but very little character on the front and middle of tongue. I was expecting the same sweet flavor to announce itself on the mouth as it did on the nose, but was not so. It's a solid fall seasonal I will buy/drink again, but only on sale. Hey, where I live, this stuff is classy!

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

i have seen this beer every where , most bars , resturaunts what have you most places have it .
the art looks neat , ....
i tried it at $3 for 22 oz
and it just doesn't cut it for me , tastes like a light almost not much body or feel and well im just unimpressed ,
id rather buy colt 45 for half the price , .... i mean the flavor is lacking for a $3 beer

it just did not impress me , id rather drink coors or miller ....
if i want a good beer id buy magic hat #9

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

This was one of the first beers I ever tried, and it has remained a favorite for me.

A: Golden amber, with a 1.5 finger head that dissipates to a thin layer. Moderate lacing.

S: Caramel, hops, biscuits and a hint of malt.

T: Very biscuity. Starts with a malty-caramel flavor, finishing with biscuits and hops.

M: Nothing outrageous. Light and somewhat carbonated.

D: High. These are easy to throw quite a few of back over the course of a night.

4.48/5  rDev +24.4%

A very drinkable beer. So far my favorite American Red Ale. The color is amazing and i will someday make it a color on my walls. I visited the brewery in November of 2010. New Belgium Brewery really cares about the beer and it is a happy employee owned company. Very fun.

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Clear, dark amber. Persistent foamy white head leaves wonderful lacing.
S - Bready with a hint of hops.
T - Nuts and wheat, with some caramel malts.
M - Crisp, light body, high carbonation.
O - A little too yeasty for my tastes, but decently balanced. It has its place.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

My first new Belgium beer and after having it on tap I went and bought a 12 pack of cans the next day.

I really liked this amber ale in both cans and on draft.

Smooth tasting and easy to drink all night.

Great color and pour. Nothing crazy but just an overall solid drinkable beer
Give it a shot

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my first craft beers...after drinking mostly piss water for years (mainly miller lite and bud light), this is a good beer to start the transition into nice, craft beer. Poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint glass, it has a nice bright amber appearance with a 1" white foamy head with decent lacing. Rich in flavor and normal thickness for an American Amber ale, goes down rather smooth . Easy to drink and fairly easy to find. (Be patient, this was my first review,lol)

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from folly pack can (best by 1-17-16) into stemmed glass. Light amber color with white head. Low head retention.

Nose is all sweet malt; no discernible hops. Mouthfeel is medium, but doesn't add anything to the beer. Sits there without being light and crisp, but also not rich and fulfilling. The flavor is light malt with a tiny touch of hop bitterness, but not much else.

I heard great things about Fat Tire, and perhaps my bar was set too hight. I understand how this stands out from 'macro' beer, and how 30 years ago it was a revelation. Unfortunately I do not believe it is a revelation today. It's not making any big mistakes, but it's also not doing anything to win me over. I believe there are much better amber ales available and while I enjoy other New Belgium offerings, I do not see myself picking this up again.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

My cousin had three kegs of Fat Tire at her wedding. Therefore I can tell you it was quite drinkable. Good for breakfast, lunch and late at night. Fat Tire works with everything.

Its a nice light amber color with a some white lacing. It smells a little sweet and malty. A very balanced beer. Just kind all over.

I had this on the tour as well. Learned it was technically the second beer New Belgium made, the Triple being the first. It was called Fat Tire, because according to legend, when Jeff took his European bike tour he used a mountain bike. Since the europeans weren't used to seeing those kind of bikes at the time they teased him with the name "Fat Tire".

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love the biscuity/grainy flavors of this beer. There is a slight hop flavor that finishes the grainy taste. It's such a great session beer even though its a "common" craft beer. It is a good measure for other craft brews to strive for.

4.31/5  rDev +19.7%

A - Deep Amber color, beautiful carbonation and on a good pour, I can get 3 fingers of thick head.

S - Very bready smell.

T - Caramel notes behind a bready, cereal malt taste

M - fairly light mouthfeel for how dark the beer is.

D - This is my beer of choice on the average day, so I don't exactly nurse it. A+ on Drinkability.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing