Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,554 | Reviews: 1,944
3.74/5  rDev +4.2%

(Pint glass) Semi dark amber hue. Nice foamy, though impermanent head. Good lacing. Smells nuts and fruit.

Wonderful. Sweet notes... earthy notes. Perhaps a touch of banana or fruit sweetness. Slightly dry into the finish. Entertaining and light.

My "O'doul's" for Hoegaarden. When I need a break from the smooth flavor of a typical Belgian white, this! Fat Tire, though light and refreshing, has a flavor and feel that I can really sink my teeth into.

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer is a weird one. My first 5 or 6 times drinking this I thought it was the best beer in the world. I loved the toasty caramel taste and smell. I also really thought it had a good color to it. What makes it weird is it got old to me. The taste got old. The smell got old. I hardly drink this anymore, but I will have it every now and then. Mostly will drink it during winter. For people just starting to get into craft beers this is a good one to start with, but it may get old to drink after a while.

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Not much carbonation and kind of flat. Nice hint of berry smell, small note of honey. Beautiful amber/gold color. The taste is kind of watery with a nice fizzy aftertaste. The mouthful is light. Overall it's decent.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

Due to all of the hype, I expected this beer to blow me away. It was fairily watered down. I can see where it would appeal to the masses, which is fine. There are a ton of amber ales that I would pick over this one, like Breckenridge Avalance, Boulder Sundance or Anderson Valley Amber. New Belgium makes some great beers, unfortunately... this isn't one of them. Try one anyway.

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%

On tap at Texas Land & Cattle in Austin, TX, served in a pint mug.

Appearance: The beer is just as it should be: light amber in color with tones of gold. Ample white head, but fades quickly with residuals.

Smell: Toasty, honey, caramel, hint of hops.

Taste: Notes of sweetness, maltiness, cocoa tones with a sweet muscat aftertaste.

Mouth: Smooth and crisp, medium body, normal carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a bad amber. Goes well with steaks and spicy foods. Very easy to kick back and still keep you satisfied.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

It was great... I was so excited to find it while I was out here on my trip to the Northwest... Great Malty flavor... actually tasted like the clone I made a few years back... so that was exciting... good stuff... I am glad to have had a chance to have it and hope that it makes it out to the east coast soon!

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is one of the most unique beers I have ever had. I was impressed, it has a real biscuit or toast flavour to it.

I bought a 6 pack when I was on holiday in California, I really enjoyed it and only wish I could buy it here in Canada.

Having said how much I enjoyed this beer, I don't think I could drink more than two at any time. It does have a real rich flavour and was quite filling.

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- pretty dull orange color. the head was tiny after an aggressive pour and it quickly dwindled without leaving a trace. but i gotta say i liked the label (that isnt included in my score though)

S- my first smell was really nice. it smells very earthy and woodsy. it has a clear hops aroma that is very pleasing. but i took other sniffs as i sipped and i noticed the smell getting progressively worse. the initially present flowery hop smell was replaced by a mostly metallic character. weird.

T- it tastes just like the bottle boasts. sweet biscuity malt balanced perfectly with a fresh hop taste. the mix is pretty refreshing and good.

M- this gets a 5 because it had a perfect level of carbonation and a really nice mouthfeel. i have to admit, i was worried at first because of the head, or lack there of, but this beer delivered in this category.

D- the drinkability on this beer is high because the fresh feeling you get as you drink it leaves you very refreshed and wanting more-- great session beer.

2.93/5  rDev -18.4%

22fl. Oz. Bottle

Appearance - A light amber color. High visual carbonation. Small head but it sticks around for the ride. Alright lacing.

Smell - A sweet bready malt type scent. Feels kinda empty.

Taste - Like some sort of sweet malt jam spread over a fresh slice of bread. I think this definitely needs to be served at the specified temperature (45°F / 7°C). I did my best to get the proper temperature but I still felt it was too cold. Beer stores make the fridges too cold. Anyways, as the beer warmed a wonderful flavor began in unfold.

Feel - Slightly syrupy and highly carbonated. Not Much more to say.

Overall - The flavor still felt lacking even after achieving proper temperature. Presentation was nothing special and nor was the scent. The Taste holds up the most and even that i felt was a little..uh, boring. I'm not saying this was a horrible beer, I just feel I got nothing from drinking it.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good, go-to session beer. Pours a nice amber color with a decent head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing on the glass. Very good balance of malt and hop but not an overly complex flavor. Good carbonation. Glad this has made it to the Maryland market but it was maybe over-hyped. Still good entry craft beer and introduction to New Belgium.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a deep reddish orange color with a medium sized off white head and decent lacing. Aroma is rather subdued and mostly of caramel malts and some faint hops. Taste is biscuit and caramel sweetness with some floral hops. Mouthfeel is medium and easy drinkability.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very golden amber color with a small to medium head that doesn't dissipate too quickly. Visible carbonation.

Smell: caramel malts, sweet, grainy and somewhat hoppy smell.

Taste: Sweet toffee/caramel taste. Somewhat bitter aftertaste with a sweetness that is balanced with it. Medium bodied and a crisp beer.

Overall: A nice change of pace from my IPAs I typically drink. A sweet beer that is enjoyable every once in a while. New Belgium does a good job with their brews and this is another one I would recommend to try.

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of my favorite beers. Dark beer with good head. Has a definitive malt flavor. A plain and simple yet satisfying beer. The aroma can be deceiving as it gives off a bit of unpleasent aroma. The taste can be described as a nutty toasted bread flavor with a hint of apricot.

2.89/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Nothing special about this beer

2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

About as generic as an amber can get. Just not a lot there.

3.16/5  rDev -12%

Fat Tire is a nice approachable Amber Ale. Low in alcohol content, I like to give this beer to my friends who don't like hops. Nice golden brown in color, but very smooth and easy to drink.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this at Hero's West in Joliet - on tap. $4.50 for a half liter glass.

I used to drink this beer regularly when I lived in St. Louis. This is my "miller" like beer. It's not gourmet, or something overly special. What is it? An excellent beer for relaxing, hanging out at the sports bar, or drinking after mowing the lawn.

Appearance: Beautiful, clear, rich amber color. It has a nice frothy head, and average lacing on the glass.

Smell: You can smell grain, somewhat floral rosy hops, and a sweet biscut like malt flavor. Not an overly strong scent.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mild and sweet, smooth. Mild body. Smooth and refreshing.

Drinkability: Good refreshing beer, very uncomplicated and excellent for relaxation.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I like this beer quite a bit, and I may have even reviewed it before. It has a nice copper color to it, with an off-white head. Smells sort of bready, and tastes so, as well. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation, and drinkability is good.

My main issue with this beer is the cost. I mostly get it because I like the 22oz bottle, but at the local Jewel, the regular price is $3.99 per bottle !!! Now, I would never pay that. I get it at Teddy's Liquors for $2.69, but even at that, it's way over-priced. Yet, I still get it.... oh well. I still like it.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

From the bottle into a shaker glass - Pours a light golden color. Aroma is malty and maybe some caramel as well. Flavor is also malty with some hoppiness. This is one of my standbys when I don’t want to spend too much extra on a gourmet beer. Currently comes by the case for about $28 in Coeur d’Alene’s Costco.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a small white head and a decent amount of lace.
S: Smells of caramel, bready yeast, and malts.
T: Very malty and bready taste. Leaves a distinct aftertaste. Very unique for an Amber.
M: Medium/Light bodied beer with a high amount of carbonation.
D: Fairly high. It's not the best tasting Amber, but I'd definitely take one in a pinch.

2.76/5  rDev -23.1%

thin malty fat tire, where da hops at yo

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Copper, golden amber color, decent sized white head with lacing around the cup

Smell: Hops, malty, almost a good yeasty smell, roasted nutty hints

Taste: malt flavors, nutty, earthy

Mouthfeel: Clean, well balanced, not too heavy of carbonation

Overall: Delicious! Full flavored, all around great qualities, doesn't lack in any area of in any significance

Toasty grains, watery and sweet. No hop bitterness to speak of, I imagine it would go good with pizza. I would order it over BMC in a restaurant every time, it has it's place.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Amber colored with gold highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head on the pour with some decent lacing. The smell is strong malt with some hop bitterness. The taste is of biscuit, sweet malt with some hop towards the end. Good carbonation. For me, this is the definition of the amber style ale. A great go to beer.

4.6/5  rDev +28.1%

A very tasty amber ale. Has the typical red look to it once poured in the glass. To me, the smell is a bit deceiving but still not a bad smell at all. Taste is excellent, far better than any other amber ale I've drank. Drinkability is also excellent, goes great by itself or with a meal if you so choose.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing