Follow our progress ...

Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
3.6

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Reviews: 1,963 | Ratings: 8,260
3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out a generous head that gives off herbal and hoppy aromas, with slight malt undertones. This gives way to a very balanced flavor profile. Rather dry, with a subtle but still sharp hoppiness. It does indeed have a biscuit like flavor that can be appreciated in the after taste. What this beer does well is that there are no offensive or overpowering flavors. You could argue that it is on the bland side because of that. It's a very easy drinking beer, but one that you can still savor and sip. This is a beer that anyone could enjoy. At $15 for a 12 pack, this beer really is an accessible craft beer.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

This beer always gets mixed reviews. Out on the east coast it's very cult-y and people seem to swarm to places where it's available. I guess that's what limited distribution can do for a brand.

Anyhow, while in Colorado (where this is on tap at seemingly every bar) I knocked back a few Fat Tires. Overall, I think it's an interesting beer. It has a very bready and biscuity aroma and flavor. Some definite caramel malt sweetness and minimal hop flavor or aroma.

It's a unique and different flavor from many other amber ales out there. I'm not sure if it is the malt makeup or the yeast strain, but there is something unique here. Definitely worth trying, although not an everyday drinker for me.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This pours a light amber color (as the style name would suggest). Roughly an inch of head.
S: Bready malts in the nose, but not strong at all. Doesn't smell bad, just not enough aroma to go around.
T: The first thing I noticed is the maltiness of this brew. This beer leans on the malty side and could probably use a little more hops to balance it out.
M: Good mouthfeel. Smooth, creamy, and goes down easy. A slighty crisp finish.
D: Easy to drink. A decent session beer.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

A: golden amber in color, weak legs and moderate head that dissipated after a few minutes

S: biscuit malt, barely discernable hop aroma

T: malty and slightly earthy with weak lingering spicyness and a light sweetness throughout

M: light and airy though as it warms, it leans towards medium bodied.

O: First impressions is it is a malty ale , very sessionable with a light hoppines. Not something I would go out of my way to get but a drinkable pint with low complexity.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I think this is an incredibly underrated beer. Now, in my experience, it does have a somewhat subtle flavor that doesn't always come out. But when it does, it's amazingly toasty and scrumptious, sort of like some sort of pastry. It's hard to describe; it's unique.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

appearance- average look...really nice honey brown color, minimal head that faded quick.

smell- surprisingly faint, sweet, honey, flowers, hops

taste- nice carbonation, mild hoppy bitterness, slightly sweet.

drinkablity- easy to drink I think even a very hot day, a lawnmower for devoted hop heads.

This is a good standby if you are out to eat and the restraunt mainly has american macros. Easy to come by down here. But not first choice if I'm in a bar with a 100 beers.

2.38/5  rDev -33.9%

Had this on tap in Clear Lake on Nasa Road 1 in the bar at the Holiday in near Hwy 3.

not much on the aroma at all, hard to pick up anything other than a faint malt.

Taste was smooth, but the finish left a taste faintly reminiscent of french fries for some reason. I originally got it for my wife because I was drinking. St. Arnold's Amber Ale. She didn't like her Fat Tire so I swapped glasses with her. After 2-3 drinks of the Fat Tire I gave it to a buddy who ended up finishing it off.

Mouth feel was as expected. Finish was short but as described above.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: copper, clear amber color, not much of a head, fairly flat.

S: no strong scent, a hint of sweetness, caramel some faint hops.

T: smooth malty caramel flavor, not bitter a bit sweet but not over the top sweet, well balanced.

M: crisp, easy to drink, smooth

Overall: I enjoy this beer and am always bummed when I run out as it is not distributed in our area and I have to wait until I go or I know someone going to Georgia. It is an easy drinking beer that is not overwhelming or filling, pairs well with many foods. It is one of the sweeter beers I enjoy on a regular basis though the sweetness it not overly done.

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

Had on tap, 3/24/2016. Malty but not really in a good way. I would rather drink a PBR, High Life, Miller Light, or basically anything else. Trying to be fair, not sure if it is the style or just my taste in beer but totally nasty. If I was at home would have been a total drain pour.

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

The beer pours a dark-ish amber color into the glass with only about a finger or so of head at the top which dissipated quickly.

The only smell that really stands out is a nice sweet malt aroma.

Mouthfeel is alright, and I really enjoy the taste of this. Nice and refreshing maltiness that I liked immediately.

This is an all around tasty beer thats good for putting a few down on a relaxed night. I like malty ales and this is one that goes down smooth and has very little problems with it. It might not be exceptional, but it sure isn't sub par.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Aroma was the first thing that hit me - distinctly Belgian, very pleasing. Color is a light/bright amber. Creamy head that leaves behind some lacing. The taste, while not bad, was a slight let down - The lovely aroma had me expecting some Belgian 'funk' to be present in the flavor, but it was missing. Instead the flavor is sort of typical American Amber. Not bad at all, but not up to expectations either.

Note: I'm in a hotel room without any proper glassware. Drinking out of a "rocks glass".

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a classic Colorado ale, and one that deserves more credit than it gets. In fact, I think it's become fashionable to bash this beer because it's become so iconic. Pours a nice caramel with a creamy egg shell head. Smells of yeasty bread. Taste is well balanced with a nice hint of hops and some sweetness. Very drinkable, hell you could drink it all day and night.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a standby when from the local supermarket with a bad selection.

A- One finger head that lacks retentions and translucent caramel color.
S- I actually love the smell of this beer. It smells floral and earthy at the same time. Hoppy sweetness.
T- Like it smells. I used to think the taste was like peanuts but I now associate that taste with biscuits, well, because thats a much better description. Hops and sweet, not too much of either. Too much of an alcohol taste for such a quenchable beer.
M- Decent- Crisp, well carbonated and slightly sticky
D- I like this beer when I can't get more serious craft beers. I love recommending it to friends who only drink the macro beers. Very sessionable, I find myself drinking one or two more of these than beers with more depth.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Thanks to my wife for picking up a sixer while in Denver. We don't get any New Belgium offerings in Michigan. Well, I guess Fat Tire lived up to its hype. It was a bit paler than amber in color, and had a nice roasted chocolate aftertaste. The malt was fine and I really coundn't taste the hops, but their presence was detectable. One thing to note was that the first bottle was mildly carbonated (which I like), and the second bottle was a bit more fizzy (which I don't like).

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

I enjoyed this out of my home Kegerator, drawn on tap at 36* into a frosty mug taken straight from my freezer. It had a beautiful copper color and a three-finger head that made its way onto my upper lip, since I could barely wait to drink it. It was absolutely delicious.

This beer for me strikes a nice balance between the everyday lagers and the heavier ales and craft beers that I enjoy. I love the spices and the drinkability. It is a wonderful Autumn/Winter brew for my Kegerator; it is a substantial enough seasonal offering without being too heavy or over the top.

Many dismiss it as pedestrian, mainstream, or just the gateway to craft beers, but I respectfully disagree. I have a two-tower Kegerator, and it has firmly established a position on one side for the Fall season.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured a golden amber with a medium four-finger head with decent retention and nice lacing. Aromas of hops, bread, malt, cherries, cedar, apples, and sugarcane. Mild flavor with malty undertones and a little bit of pineapple. Disappointingly non-complex. Slightly sweet with a nice smooth mouthfeel. Has a lot of drinkability but lacks complexity.

3.96/5  rDev +10%

For the price, it's an excellent beer. I really don't have any complaints.

Appearance: Dark reddish orange. Looks like I'd expect from a fine amber ale.

Smell: Eh... the smell is kind of hard to detect at first. It smells like warm buttered biscuits... kind of... not a whole lot going for it in the nose section.

Taste: After the smell, I wasn't expecting much, but fortunately, I was completely wrong. This beer is very malt forward with just a hint of hops circling in the background. Just enough to give it that flavor without overpowering the malty earthy sweetness that makes this beer so good.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, not too thin. Nothing ultra impressive here, but definitely a good mouthfeel.

Overall: I'd recommend this for a session beer. It's relatively cheap, has good flavor and goes down smooth. I'd drink it any day.

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Deep amber with a frothy dimpled head
S- Malty bread smell
T- Sour apple, well balanced, sweet a little bit of spicy.
M- Very smooth, first bit seemed a bit flat, probably a poor pour.

I expected a lot coming into this beer and at first sip I was disappointed but it grew on me.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured from a bottle into a 20 oz mug.

About a half an inch, frothy-white, crystal head. Fairly good lacing.

Aroma was of a very pleasant, soft petal bouquet, almost fruity, and rose-petal-ish like scent.

Polished, crystal clear, fossilized amber in appearance. Cool and pleasantly carbonated. Taste was very faint, but easily drinkable. Spikes at a citrus-y pine in taste at first slowly melting into a drop of butter on moistened toast ahead towards the finish. The hoppy-pine taste lingering longer as the beer warms, and expressing more pale-ish tasting malts.

This was the best looking amber in color I've ever seen. The taste was nice, cool, faint and sessionable. I do agree with another viewer, "not horribly complex". But will definitely enjoy this beer again... possibly at a bbq on a nice humid summer day.

4.26/5  rDev +18.3%

Wow... just let me saw WOW! what a uniquely gorgeous beer!

A - sunset burnt orange in color. 1 finger head with heavy density. Nice and cream. Translusent enough to see the perfect amount of carbonation bubbles floating to the top to help keep the consistancy of the head. And B E A U T I F U L lacings! After it sits the fuzzes makes a ring that DOES NOT go away. After each gulp there are rings indicating where the beer was at in the glass and they stay there untill the end of the beer.

S - earthy notes and undertones. very foresty. very roasted.

T - First reaction is that the beer taste like a bonfire. The aromas that emmit from camp fires or char coals was the taste of this beer. very unique and yummy. A must try, to understand first hand the experience of this burnt fire woody beer. almost like bourbon.

M - perfect mouthfeel to make this an almost dangerous beer. medium bodied, with a very clean finish. Did not sit this beer down very long at all.

Overall this is a great beer. One just to be drinking, one for festivities, one for parying, one for good ole times. The name is very misleading of its quality.

3.86/5  rDev +7.2%

This is one of my favorites, it's almost like drinking liquid bread. A nice, yeasty and hoppy taste, it grabs the tongue and does not let go. Perfect pairing with a hamburger, fries, or a salty snack. Shares a lot of taste with Sunshine Pils, a heavy beer that isn't meant to be be chugged or drunk with speed. Take your time, enjoy the beer, let it breath, and take in the flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was "the" beer to be seen with in my neck of the woods last year, although I often wondered if anyone was drinking it. On paper, this is a great beer. In presentation, this is an excellent beer. In truth though, the taste I find sub-par.

The color is amazing, the head pours nice (I poured from a bottle), and there is some really light lacing down the side. However, I find this beer much too earthy tasting for me, and while it is decent, it is defiantly not one that I will try again anytime soon. To me this beer tastes like someone went half and half with a Michelob and a Yuengling Traditional, and I am not really crazy about either. I will admit that the taste does mellow out if you drink several of these, but I find that with most beer too.

Fat Tire is basically like having a friend that is a body builder, and when you get him to help you move you find out that it is all superficial and he sucks at using his muscles in a realistic way--it is a let down. I feel like if they spent more time on the beer rather than the label art and the advertising, this would have been better. I expected more out of New Belgium, because I generally like their beers, but the Fat Tire offering that I had reminded me that not every microbrewery can be Sierra Nevada. Man, I should go and get some Pale Ale to wash this earthworm flavor out of my mouth...

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - poured into pint glass creamy one finger head, with a good lacing left behind. Color is a beautifull copper color that is very clear no cloudiness.

S - Sweet malty hope scent, with a fresh baked Bread Smell to it.

T - very very very smooth. A fruity pine taste with virtually no bitterness. Kind of a biscuity finish.

M - Smooth silky feel with good carbonation. No bitterness and a semi dry finish

O - This is the first beer I have tried or reviewed from New Belgium, and I am enjoying this a lot. I picked up there sampler pack and can't wait to try the other ones. I believe this is a good one to start with if you are new to ales. Pick it up and give it a try for yourself

Enjoy

4.73/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I'm a big fan of New Belgium, and Fat Tire is probably their best beer. This is the only Amber Ale I drink. Great biscuity taste with a light mouthfeel.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a red/gold amber with a short-lived white head. Aroma is subdued - a bit of malt and slight hoppy acidity. This beer tastes extremely smooth and easy - nothing about it is on the fringe, just smooth simple maltiness with little hop flavor - light and somewhat bready. Slight carbonation, but smoothness helps thicken up the mouthfeel. The aftertaste, like everything else, is slight and short-lived, but not a turnoff. This beer is extremely easy to drink, but I found it to be too simple - just didn't have enough oomph in any way to keep my interest. Well done - but not my style.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing