Join our email list →

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,905 | Hads: 7,981
3.66/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer is a weird one. My first 5 or 6 times drinking this I thought it was the best beer in the world. I loved the toasty caramel taste and smell. I also really thought it had a good color to it. What makes it weird is it got old to me. The taste got old. The smell got old. I hardly drink this anymore, but I will have it every now and then. Mostly will drink it during winter. For people just starting to get into craft beers this is a good one to start with, but it may get old to drink after a while.

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%

Not much carbonation and kind of flat. Nice hint of berry smell, small note of honey. Beautiful amber/gold color. The taste is kind of watery with a nice fizzy aftertaste. The mouthful is light. Overall it's decent.

Toasty grains, watery and sweet. No hop bitterness to speak of, I imagine it would go good with pizza. I would order it over BMC in a restaurant every time, it has it's place.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Due to all of the hype, I expected this beer to blow me away. It was fairily watered down. I can see where it would appeal to the masses, which is fine. There are a ton of amber ales that I would pick over this one, like Breckenridge Avalance, Boulder Sundance or Anderson Valley Amber. New Belgium makes some great beers, unfortunately... this isn't one of them. Try one anyway.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at Texas Land & Cattle in Austin, TX, served in a pint mug.

Appearance: The beer is just as it should be: light amber in color with tones of gold. Ample white head, but fades quickly with residuals.

Smell: Toasty, honey, caramel, hint of hops.

Taste: Notes of sweetness, maltiness, cocoa tones with a sweet muscat aftertaste.

Mouth: Smooth and crisp, medium body, normal carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a bad amber. Goes well with steaks and spicy foods. Very easy to kick back and still keep you satisfied.

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

It was great... I was so excited to find it while I was out here on my trip to the Northwest... Great Malty flavor... actually tasted like the clone I made a few years back... so that was exciting... good stuff... I am glad to have had a chance to have it and hope that it makes it out to the east coast soon!

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is one of the most unique beers I have ever had. I was impressed, it has a real biscuit or toast flavour to it.

I bought a 6 pack when I was on holiday in California, I really enjoyed it and only wish I could buy it here in Canada.

Having said how much I enjoyed this beer, I don't think I could drink more than two at any time. It does have a real rich flavour and was quite filling.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good, go-to session beer. Pours a nice amber color with a decent head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing on the glass. Very good balance of malt and hop but not an overly complex flavor. Good carbonation. Glad this has made it to the Maryland market but it was maybe over-hyped. Still good entry craft beer and introduction to New Belgium.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a deep reddish orange color with a medium sized off white head and decent lacing. Aroma is rather subdued and mostly of caramel malts and some faint hops. Taste is biscuit and caramel sweetness with some floral hops. Mouthfeel is medium and easy drinkability.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very golden amber color with a small to medium head that doesn't dissipate too quickly. Visible carbonation.

Smell: caramel malts, sweet, grainy and somewhat hoppy smell.

Taste: Sweet toffee/caramel taste. Somewhat bitter aftertaste with a sweetness that is balanced with it. Medium bodied and a crisp beer.

Overall: A nice change of pace from my IPAs I typically drink. A sweet beer that is enjoyable every once in a while. New Belgium does a good job with their brews and this is another one I would recommend to try.

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of my favorite beers. Dark beer with good head. Has a definitive malt flavor. A plain and simple yet satisfying beer. The aroma can be deceiving as it gives off a bit of unpleasent aroma. The taste can be described as a nutty toasted bread flavor with a hint of apricot.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Fat Tire is a nice approachable Amber Ale. Low in alcohol content, I like to give this beer to my friends who don't like hops. Nice golden brown in color, but very smooth and easy to drink.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this at Hero's West in Joliet - on tap. $4.50 for a half liter glass.

I used to drink this beer regularly when I lived in St. Louis. This is my "miller" like beer. It's not gourmet, or something overly special. What is it? An excellent beer for relaxing, hanging out at the sports bar, or drinking after mowing the lawn.

Appearance: Beautiful, clear, rich amber color. It has a nice frothy head, and average lacing on the glass.

Smell: You can smell grain, somewhat floral rosy hops, and a sweet biscut like malt flavor. Not an overly strong scent.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mild and sweet, smooth. Mild body. Smooth and refreshing.

Drinkability: Good refreshing beer, very uncomplicated and excellent for relaxation.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

I like this beer quite a bit, and I may have even reviewed it before. It has a nice copper color to it, with an off-white head. Smells sort of bready, and tastes so, as well. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation, and drinkability is good.

My main issue with this beer is the cost. I mostly get it because I like the 22oz bottle, but at the local Jewel, the regular price is $3.99 per bottle !!! Now, I would never pay that. I get it at Teddy's Liquors for $2.69, but even at that, it's way over-priced. Yet, I still get it.... oh well. I still like it.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

From the bottle into a shaker glass - Pours a light golden color. Aroma is malty and maybe some caramel as well. Flavor is also malty with some hoppiness. This is one of my standbys when I don’t want to spend too much extra on a gourmet beer. Currently comes by the case for about $28 in Coeur d’Alene’s Costco.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a small white head and a decent amount of lace.
S: Smells of caramel, bready yeast, and malts.
T: Very malty and bready taste. Leaves a distinct aftertaste. Very unique for an Amber.
M: Medium/Light bodied beer with a high amount of carbonation.
D: Fairly high. It's not the best tasting Amber, but I'd definitely take one in a pinch.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Copper, golden amber color, decent sized white head with lacing around the cup

Smell: Hops, malty, almost a good yeasty smell, roasted nutty hints

Taste: malt flavors, nutty, earthy

Mouthfeel: Clean, well balanced, not too heavy of carbonation

Overall: Delicious! Full flavored, all around great qualities, doesn't lack in any area of in any significance

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Amber colored with gold highlights when held up to the light. A one finger head on the pour with some decent lacing. The smell is strong malt with some hop bitterness. The taste is of biscuit, sweet malt with some hop towards the end. Good carbonation. For me, this is the definition of the amber style ale. A great go to beer.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%

A very tasty amber ale. Has the typical red look to it once poured in the glass. To me, the smell is a bit deceiving but still not a bad smell at all. Taste is excellent, far better than any other amber ale I've drank. Drinkability is also excellent, goes great by itself or with a meal if you so choose.

1.86/5  rDev -48.3%

Before we start, I will say that this beer is much better on tap. But we're reveiwing the bottle here. Pours a pale amber with a decent head. Try not to smell this beer if you can avoid it. Smells like a compost pile. The flavor is just off. Skunky and unpleasant. In the mouth it feels like beer, but you don't really want it in your mouth because it taste so off. Not really drinkable at all. New Belgium makes much better beer than this.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a clean amber into my glass with a fluffy head, which sadly remained but a few minutes before subsiding with little lacing to remind me it was once there.
Right from the pour you know this beer is about malt. Heady biscuity aromas prepare you for what is a very malty beer. Again, smooth biscuit caresses the palate, with a slightly grainy finish, and only a little bitter bite. The taste is lovely, but you won't find a complexity of flavours to distinguish from.
Very smooth, medium bodied. Quite drinkable. I will be trying this again sometime.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

From tasting notes. This is a go-to beer for me as it's widely available where I live. Fat tire was also the first true "craft beer" I tried back in college.

A- Medium-amber, somewhat effervescent. Lacing is about finger-width with moderate retention.

S- Scents of honey, roasted malt, and biscuits. Pleasant but not overpowering.

T- Honey flavors are present in the front palate, transitioning to slightly citrusy hop bitterness. Finishes malty.

M- Medium-bodied, average mouthfeel. Nothing special but nothing detrimental either.

D- Very drinkable and balanced amber ale that pairs well with many foods. Easy to see why it's so popular.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

A:pours an amber- burnt orange color with three fingers of soapy white head and lacing that clings to the glass the whole way through.

S:yeast roll and grains with a slight piny smell at first with pear-like notes coming through later on.very inviting.

T:just like the bottle said a bready yeast roll hits you at first followed by a roasted malt and finishing with slight piny hop bitterness in the after taste

M:Medium body from what i can tell.i'm sure i just don't have the right vocabulary to describe it but it seems....rich.very refreshing though.

D:I can,and have,put away quite a few a these in a sitting good for a cool fall afternoon on the front porch or a hot summer day at the lake.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

I had Fat Tire at a bar and in my opinion its ok but nothing special about. It had a nice look smelled nice and did go down really smooth but there was nothing to make me want to keep drinking Fat Tire amber ale again or go out to buy a 6 pack. I guess ill only drink it again if some one else buys lol.

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours nicely into a snifter glass with just about 2 fingers of slightly cream colored head.

The fragrance of the brew is filled with caramel notes that ends with the slightest scent of fruit.

This beer is highly touted, and in my opinion it lives up to the hype. The taste is bursting with buttery caramel notes, after ingested the exhale though the nose adds the biscuit flavor that ties it all together.

The exceptional tastes is accommodated by a medium mouthfeel.

Very drinkable, but since I can not get this beer in PA, I can only enjoy this beer sparingly.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing