2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

pDev: 15%

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,515 | Reviews: 1,758 | Show All Ratings:
lolki

Arkansas

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

A - Rich, clean reddish color, slight head. A refreshing looking beer.

S - Carmel with a hint of wildflowers; overripe honeysuckle from a distance.

T - A little woodsy and wild. Sweet at the front of the tongue with strong malt flavor overshadowing all at the back. Little aftertaste other than a slight molasses taste.

M - Crisp at the start, but a little thick going down -- heavy malt and bread taste almost makes it like eating good pancakes with maple syrup. Perhaps too thick for some, but a good feeling if you like that sort of thing.

D - I could drink this for awhile, it is flavorful enough to not get boring but refreshing enough to not weigh down the mouth.

10-01-2009 02:09:07 | More by lolki
tvail4

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Amber, light-orange color, with a one-finger head. Active carbonation and clear, even, lively consistency. Thick lacing and long retention.

Smell: Sweet malt aroma and slightly biscuity bouquet.

Taste: Sweet, malty flavor and a slightly sour and stale biscuit aftertaste. A well-built and balanced beer, as the brewer intended. Representative of the style.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth on the palate. Slightly lacking carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy to drink. Sweet, but almost too sweet. I will be having another.

04-23-2011 00:17:19 | More by tvail4
sizzlemc

Nebraska

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

This is pretty much my go-to beer when on-tap at a bar, since it's better quality beer than BMC.

Appearance - I like the darkish amber color of this beer. In my experience when drinking this on tap it always has a very good head retention and decent lacing as well. In a bottle the head retention is significantly diminished.

Smell - Your average beer smell in my opinion. Guess I could compliment that there is nothing off-putting about the smell.

Taste - Pretty wheaty taste really. Like I'm munching on hay. Not that this is necessarily bad. The favor is just really consistent and nothing really shines.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good body, a little dry, and decent carbonation.

Drinkabilty - Very drinkable from the tap I'd say. I drink a couple pints on occasion.

01-05-2011 06:25:54 | More by sizzlemc
twistedweather

Washington

3.86/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

fat tire ale new beliguim
22oz bottle poured into chilled mug

appearance
Nice thick foamy head blonde carmel color clear

smell
light underwhelming wheat

taste
smooth earthy full bodied taste with slight fading bitter tones bready/wheaty maltiness settles in

02-23-2013 22:24:11 | More by twistedweather
DMEsquire

Mississippi

3.34/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

People have been hating on this beer lately, but I suppose that happens with all craft brews that are marketed well and are, therefore, very successful. Anyway, I live in Mississippi, where New Belgium is unfortunately not sold yet. So, I had to pick it up in Memphis.

I got it in the can, as I am a firm believer that most beers (especially this one) taste better from a can. I don't know if it's the can conditioning, or the lack of sunlight reaching the beer, or the simple fact that it tastes colder, but I love it.

So, the beer itself is, in my opinion, the standard example of an amber ale. It's not as complex as a porter or an IPA, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a good, crisp, drinkable ale, suitable for tailgating at a football game, doing yard work, or just sitting at the house watching T.V. This beer would be my go to and I would keep it stocked if only it were available in my home state (hint hint New Belgium..)

Serving type: can

09-18-2013 00:52:20 | More by DMEsquire
KMBoswell

4.5/5  rDev +25%

I love this beer, they nailed it on taste/color/smell (in my opinion)
I've even brewed the knock-off/clone recipe of this, it comes close but still not it (I'm working to perfect that though)
the first time I ever had it was when I was visiting a friend in Fort Collins and I've been sold on it since
Great stuff (gave it a 4.5 because it doesn't beat the fresh taste as it was in F.C.CO)

01-27-2014 18:33:30 | More by KMBoswell
jbarber1534

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

This american take on a belgiun ale has become a cult favorite in the rockies. The appearence is a deep amber with a foamy head. As for taste, this beer stands in a class of its own with a yeasty, irresistable flavor. This is truly a brew for all occasions.

02-27-2007 03:27:43 | More by jbarber1534
npslaugh

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

I like this beer a lot; it is one of my favorites. It is smooth, not overpowering, easy to drink, and has a good body. Its not too sweet like other New Belgium brands nor is it too bitter or too strong. Overall just the right balance of everything. A dark beer with light beer drinkability.

04-19-2007 17:55:09 | More by npslaugh
swat93

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

Beautiful amber with a nice head in the glass. Malt nose and taste -- nutty/chocolate nicely balanced with hoppy floral/citrus note. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Nice beer. On the first part of the bottle, I felt like I got malty chocolatey nutty notes in the glass more than hoppy cloral citrus notes, then, later, I felt like I got more hoppy notes.

07-18-2007 19:04:37 | More by swat93
dgriffis

Oklahoma

3.78/5  rDev +5%

This beer has a medium body, nice balance of hops to malt... the finish is roasty sweet. As you drink it down and it loses its chill it gets better, so cellar temp is optimum serve temp for this beer. very solid beer out of the bottle, but better on tap. I've got two hundred fifty characters to tell you that this beer is one you need to try if it is available to you, if its not you need to find it.

08-10-2008 20:48:08 | More by dgriffis
Ybsnroh

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Hilton Tavern, NN, VA
Color - nice amber with orange. Pleasant. Looks good
Nose - not much, dissappointing as i need an enticing nose. Not served too cold just no nose
Head - modest with some lace, not a main attribute, rather thin actually
Mouth- right for style. Very nice. A little fizzy.
Taste - hard to pin down. Some hops. No real depth. Darn
Finish - carbonation, not much alcohol whiich is fine, no real changes here
Overal - darn, I Expected more. Pleasant. Low abv to drink all night but nothing to write home about. Need to malt this up a notch but having said that I just ordered another. Chin Chin

09-29-2011 00:22:11 | More by Ybsnroh
Cormier29

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap at a local Tavern. Nice dark reddish light brown color. Half a finger of head with good lacing.
Smell is of dark roasted malts with a slight piny aroma from the hops. Good mouthfeel with a smooth malt taste upfront that finishes with the hops at the end and doesn't linger too long. A overall solid brew, that could possibly be a good session brew.

04-27-2011 01:38:13 | More by Cormier29
IrishJava

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a golden color with a substantial head. A strange smell... still pleasant but unexpected. Taste was very good, I would definitely consider it a summer beer best enjoyed in the heat. It was not too hoppy or too malty. It's not a beer I would drink more than four of at a time, but relatively light enough to be enjoyed in quantity. Great beer.

04-13-2010 17:23:51 | More by IrishJava
antwan3421

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

As far as an amber goes this beer is truely exceptional. Being from Michigan I am not afforded the same priveledge of tasting this beer on tap, rather I visit family in Chicago and buy the beer in bottles. Yet, the beer itself is quite remarkable. The hoppy flavor that it claims to have is recognizable yet subtle enough to keep from detracting from the flavors that it boasts. It is far less malty than some abmbers I have tried but I feel that helps more than hurts the brew. Fat tire still retains a bright robust flavor and is apparent in both the front and the back of the beer. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is looking for an amber beer with remarkable flavor.

12-24-2010 05:18:05 | More by antwan3421
hartsoet

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very nice medium brown with a 1 inch head. Smell: Very pleasing smell not to overwhelming. Taste: Excellent taste for a highly fast producing beer. Mouth-feel: Pleasing taste inside your mouth,on the first & last of the last taste of my glass. Drink ability : I believe this could find a whey to become a regular beer in my house.

02-04-2011 21:58:41 | More by hartsoet
Haessly

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Serving Type: Bottle

Appearance: Nice Amber Color, Two Finger Head, Nice Lacing on glass.

Smell: Bready, Toasted Malt Smell, Slight Hop Aroma.

Taste: Sweet Biscuit, Malt with Caramel, Very little Hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light, Nice Carbonation, Dry Finish

Overall: Drinkable. Somewhat lacking Hop flavor, but still a good Amber Ale.

05-29-2011 19:44:56 | More by Haessly
Pity

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Poured copper, lots of lacing. Really nice looking beer.

S- Biscuits and malts, hints of hoppiness.

T- Similar to the smell, very well balanced between the malts and the hops.

M- Lots of carbonation, overall a smooth brew.

Overall this is a classic in the microbrewing industry, and definitely has a cult following. Nothing too special, but great when compared to the Bud's and Miller's of the world.

01-09-2012 17:19:16 | More by Pity
SinutabRamirez

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

This is one of my favorites, it's almost like drinking liquid bread. A nice, yeasty and hoppy taste, it grabs the tongue and does not let go. Perfect pairing with a hamburger, fries, or a salty snack. Shares a lot of taste with Sunshine Pils, a heavy beer that isn't meant to be be chugged or drunk with speed. Take your time, enjoy the beer, let it breath, and take in the flavor.

06-09-2012 05:52:43 | More by SinutabRamirez
sndleight

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

It was love at first taste!
This beer is awesome.
The appearence is a nice amber color with a medium to full head.
It has a smell of dirty laundry.
It has a second to none taste.
It goes done smooth and crisp feel.
Overall this is in my top five beers!

12-23-2012 01:40:18 | More by sndleight
beermakesmefat

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

I'm guessing that this is a beer people either love or hate. The mega-hops recipe is both overpowering and delicious. There is a moderate aftertaste that is probably unavoidable with this level of hops, and it doesn't seem to matter if it is room temperature or ice cold. But overall it's great tasting beer and an excellent compromise between bitter and sweet.

01-31-2013 02:00:37 | More by beermakesmefat
andjlepp

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottle served into english Pub style glass

appearearance- Light, golden caramel color, clear and easy see through, small head that shrinks to a thin head that remains during consumption, light lacing left on the glass

smell- smell of biscuity hops and slight citrus smell, vague and light hop smell to the beer

taste- very smooth flavor with a high biscuit style flavoring, slight caramel after taste with a bit of hop bitterness

mouthfeel- very light and smooth in the mouth, bite of carbonation when left in the mouth

overall- a satisfying beer with a belgian like flavoring, light and crisp with light citrus under tones, adding and orange will bring out more citrus flavor

02-27-2013 22:52:31 | More by andjlepp
2181beer

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%

Interestingly enough this is one of the first beers that got me started venturing into craft beer. At first, it thought it was a really great beer. Having drank hundreds of craft beers since then and drinking it now, it's an average beer. You can taste the caramel malt in this beer and smell it as well. Very drinkable, but I look for more of a "wow" factor.

05-31-2013 20:55:57 | More by 2181beer
EricThompsono

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Very nice beer to say the least. Glad it will be waiting for me when I get back to Florida. Light and easy with nothing for a rookie to fear. This was one of my first introductions to craft beer and it set a nice tone. The owner of the brewery is big on charity work so thats a plus as well.

06-21-2013 22:51:05 | More by EricThompsono
eternalcow

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

To me this is a thoroughly average beer. I can't find much fault with it, but I also can't find much to recommend it.

Due to the brown hue of the bottle, color is difficult to determine, and I don't have any beer glasses. I know, some beer drinker I am.

Aroma to me is tangy, maybe a little citrus.

The flavor bears the same citrus notes, and is light on hops. It leaves a slightly woody aftertaste which to me is actually better than the beer itself.

The mouth feel is light, which I know is standard fare for this kind of ale. Unlike other pale and amber ales I've tried though, Fat Tire doesn't have anything in its flavor to balance out the light texture, so the beer tastes almost watery.

Let me hasten to add that I tend to favor dark beers, and these criticisms might just be a matter of preference. But I've had other amber ales that I prefer to Fat Tire.

08-04-2013 01:54:40 | More by eternalcow
Mello429

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoyed the clean finish of this beer. It was extremely easy to drink and left me wanting more. I would consider it a sessionable beer. I would buy a six pack of this for football Sunday. Taste like it would be great with chips wings or a really good shrimp po-boy.

09-18-2013 01:46:38 | More by Mello429