Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,865 | Hads: 7,677
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Pours a nice amber color, with a big off-white head.

S: Sweet, fresh baked bread.

T: The inside of a malted milk ball candy meets a fresh baked buttery biscuit. A trace of hops on the finish.

M: A little thin, medium body at best.

D: Can drink a bunch of these in a row. My perfect "garage" beer.

I first tried a Fat Tire in Arizona ten years ago, and while they are tons of beers out there with alot more going on, I still enjoy a Fat Tire whenever I get my hands on some. (491 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -5.5%

A little less carbonated than my favourite brews (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada) but still very good. It has a mellow hop aroma and goes down well. It is one of the few beers (BMC swill excluded) that has to be cold for me to drink.

Another good point is that it's available everywhere. Easy to get.

3.5 out of 5! (315 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26%

I have heard things about Fat Tire. I heard it was great. I'm gonna find that person and ask them what was wrong. I was very unimpressed with this brew. It looked great after the pour, but the taste was weak. It had no real special taste to it. The beer went dwon easy, but it struggled to make it past my mouth. I'm not a slammer of beers, so I'm gonna say i got a bad batch and I'll have some when i want to encounter this again. Until then, I'll can just say this Fat Tire was flat. (Pun, I know. Don't hurt my karma, it's all I got left in this world.) (556 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

I'm reviewing this after drinking fat tire for many years. I've even been to the New Belgium brewery, the highlight of my beer career. I'm a bit biased because my junior year of college Fat Tire taught me what beer could be.

Pours a clear amber with a rich white head.

Smells a bit malty, slightly bread like.

Tastes, wonderful.Nice and smooth and well balanced.

The mouthfeel is pretty great too, perfect carbonation and not too heavy.

I could drink this beer every day, it's the perfect beer to pick up when you want to drink beer just to drink beer. (558 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +33.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium goblet. As a PA resident, this smuggled beer was my first foray into New Belgium beers, and it was a wonderful experience.

The first thing I noticed was the color. Calling this beer "amber" doesn't do it justice. It's a rich gold, with pleasing effervescence, and a thin, creamy had that left intricate lacing along the inside of the goblet as it receded.

The smell is not overly assertive, and it's dominated by an inviting, bready aroma, with a strong undercurrent of sweet malts. Overall, the aromas are extremely pleasant, and mesh well with the flavors of the beer.

The taste did not disappoint. The bready yeast flavors and rich maltiness are certainly there, and it's moderately sweet, but never cloying. This is a very well balanced beer, with no one flavor overwhelming the palate. There's also a very subtle hop character, but it only comes through in the aftertaste, adding another note of complexity to this brew.

The body is light and crisp, with a relatively high degree of carbonation, almost cleansing the palate between sips, leading to a beer that is continually pleasant and refreshing.

This beer was heavily hyped for me, but it certainly lived up to it! If Fat Tire was available in Pennsylvania, I would probably drink it every day. (1,311 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Well, I finally got around to trying Fat Tire. I think I may have tried it a few years ago and was not impressed and thus never had it again. However, last weekend someone ordered me one so I was reintroduced to it.

For me, it was just average. It has a very roasted nutty flavor and it sits heavy in the stomach. Nice maybe with a meal or just by itself, but not if you're out drinking and plan on having more than one. I just don't know what all the fuss is about because I know a lot of people who quite like Fat Tire, but perhaps it's just not for me. Not much "wow" factor... I didn't find anything particularly unique or memorable about this brew. (654 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +28.5%

realized I'd never reviewed this rare gem, so here goes nothing.

pours a surprisingly nice light amber with marigold highlights into my new belgium tulip. A frothy, thick two-finger head fades slowly to a thin cap that leaves solid lacing. Looks good.

aroma is malt, a touch funky, nutty and corn. earthy and grainy. hints of earthy hops. the grain aroma gets stronger as it warms.

taste is clean, crisp, hints of fruit, hints of malt, and a touch of hops - just enough for a pleasant crisp bitterness. apples, pear, some wheat and a touch of white sugar.

mouth is solidly clean, with moderate body, ample fine carbonation, almost creamy but not too thick. really works.

all in all, what can i say that hasn't been said? When fresh, it's pretty solid. when not brand-spankin-fresh, it's border-line awful... which is why I'm tossing it a slightly lower score... something about the malt profile just gets funky as it warms. (928 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours an amber color with a medium sized white color head and decent lacing. Aroma of caramel, passion fruit, nuts, roasted malts. Taste is sweet caramel, nutty and a bit grainy. Not much hops in the taste. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied. Overall drinkability is good if you don't mind the sweet and nutty flavors. (322 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Fat Tire is a beer from New Belgium Brewery:

Pours an amber red, and produces a good sized head of foam. The smell is that of toffee, biscuits, and caramel. The taste is malty, bready, and reminds me a lot of a simply drinking a biscuit. The finish is semi-dry.

Drinkability: This is a solid beer which would pair well with a variety of foods. New Belgium made their name with Fat Tire, and it is certainly worthy of being a flag ship. I could drink more than one of these beers in a sitting. (494 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ok so this is becoming a hipster beer quite quickly. It's pretty solid, I enjoy it; however there's nothing that makes it stand out really. It's a safe call if you're looking for an easy drinker among people who like different kinds of beer, but there are plenty of better beers. (279 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On a recent trip to Denver, I had the opportunity to sample and resample Fat Tire repeatedly, it being something of a family favorite. Straight from the bottle or poured into a pint glass in a restaurant, no matter what, this beer is the real deal. Malty, smooth taste, finished with light crisp hops that compliment, rather than compete with the malts. Dark amber color, slight frothy head (in the glass), great aroma. This is definitely one of my new go-to's...provided I'll be able to find it on the east coast.

Put this beer this way: My dad is a Coors Light/Busch kind of guy. He swears by those two beers (though he has been known to go for a guinness or a Honey Brown on occasion). He loves this beer. This, to him, is beer exploration (which he isn't the biggest fan of, unlike my brother and I) at its best. So if you know someone who's not a huge fan of branching out, buy them a Fat Tire. They just might thank you for it! (936 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -44.5%

poured with small head that disipated immediatly. no lacing. the color is correct as an amber light to medium.

smells of boiling wort. like wet catfood. the malted barley really stands out.

tastes of malted barley. little to no hops except towards the end. were is the hoppy freshness they talk about on the lable?

light to medium carbonation seemed proper.

I can drink one but just not to my pallet. can't get passed the wet pet food sense of taste and smell. I'm sorry maybe I got a bad batch. (501 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer has some sentimental value to me because it was my first New Belgium brew. New Belgium introduced me to the wonderful world of Belgian beer culture as well as the rapidly-expanding American microbrewing industry. Cheers to the NB. Anyway. This beer, while not their best, is a reliable one. I had my most recent one in a New Belgian snifter.

A- nice amber opacity. Some extra bubbles which linger on the edges of the glass, although not a big head.

S- malty hoppiness, molasses, maple syrup, chocolate, cough medicine.

T- very flavorful, lots of chocolaty maltiness, hoppy finish, but very smooth taste, not a hint of bitterness, but also not a sweet beer.

M- carbonated, almost nitro, silky, nice amount of faint hops lingering on the palate.

D- Very easy to drink, refreshing, goes down nice.

Thank goodness they finally started distributing to Southern California. (896 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

This was my first exposure to locally distributed beers. Seems a bit lighter than most ambers, a fair amount of yeast is present. Very bready. Fairly bright tasting with a distinct flavor and relatively nominal smell. but theres much more to beer out here, as big a deal as it is. Still shining bright in the declining red beer market though. Easy drinking and easy to find. (374 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

I drank a lot of Fat Tire in 1994 when I was living in boulder, Colorado. This Beer is hard to come by in Ohio, so when I have a friend going to Chicago I ask for a favor. This Beer is very drinkable, and the smell of cherry scones always come to mind. Hop heads will be disappointed because the malt is up front. This is a great intro Beer for people who want to delve into craft beer. Smooth, refreshing, very good! (417 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

A -- Amber brown color with a thick head.

S -- Toasty malt and a very light hop presence.

T -- Very, very balanced with neither malt nor hops winning.

M -- Clean finish that isn't very sweet, just nicely toasted.

D -- A good beer that I feel is somewhat overrated. (268 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

First off let me say that this is my first beer review on this site.

A: Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Pours a bright amber color with about an inch or so of off-white brownish head. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: I love the smell of Fat Tire. Smells of toasted hops, biscuits and light hints of chocolate.

T: Several people told me that this beer was overrated; I can't say that I agree. Tastes of toasted hops and biscuits. A bit malty, and has a very faint alcohol bite in the finish.

M: Not too heavy and not too light.

D: Pretty drinkable, but because of the price I can't say I'd recommend it as a session beer. (644 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -45.6%

I have got to tell you that I've had a fat tire on many occasions. And every single time I drink it, I feel like I'm drinking putrid lake water. I'm not sure what it is about this beer, but it's just horrible.

You're going to hear everyone rave that's is amazing belgian beer. OHHHH save me that crap. This is just tap water with a little wheat in it.

Anyone who likes this nasty beer needs to stick with their lite beers they get off on.

good nightnow! (457 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: beautiful red amber color, good head retention, a little lacing but not much

Smell: lots of toasty malt, with a little caramel

Taste: very similar to the smell. Lots of crackery, biscuity malt. Almost a little bit of a stale bread flavor at times, but overall nice.

Mouthfeel: smooth, good carbonation. The body is a little on the lighter side.

Decent brew. Maybe would have liked sweeter maltiness or more hop balance, something to improve the dry crackery-ness (478 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Fast and lacy
MOUTH
Well rounded yet crisp
TONGUE
Malt, hops, more hops, malt, and hops.

Fat tire may be as close as it comes to a full-bodied pale ale. This beer is particularly well rounded and crisp--nothing extravagant, just well made. This is a great cross-over brew.

I wouldn't mind trying an unfiltered version, the only thing this brew lacks is yeast profile. (410 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A competent easy to drink beer. Even though it's a New Belgium offering, it's not as flavorful as, say, Abbey. I'd never buy Fat Tire to drink at home, but if I'm at a bar with a limited beer selection, I know that I can expect a decent beer from Fat Tire. (256 characters)

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. In my opinion it's best when you can get it on tap, but still quite good in the bottle if served in a good glass. It had a slight biscuit taste. Overall, you can't go wrong with this beer, and to top it off, it's sold almost everywhere, which is nice when there's no other options except macro brews. (332 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Why oh why do I keep coming back to this beer? I used to love this in the 90s now it's just ok. I keep thinking that this is going to be the time that I like it again and I just don't. I love the companies mission, the clean air and the employee hugging but their beer over the past couple of years has been disappointing. (325 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

This well-crafted beer pours a beautiful medium amber with hints of brick red and a nice off-white head that laces well down the glass. A moderately malty aroma follows with notes of honey and nuts. This is a supremely easy-drinking amber with a good balance between malt and hops, and a pleasant smokey character. The taste is marked by flavors of nuts, wood, and a delicate splash of citrus, with a clean, crisp finish. (421 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3%

A - Bright,coppery, sparkling very inviting.

S - A hint of spice, a just out of the oven biscuity aroma. Again inviting.

T - A simple moderate clean biscuity taste. Ever so slightly sweet caramel presence. A very pleasent toasted finish.

F - Full bodied, smooth and pleasing.

D - This is a very good, enjoyable beer. (320 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing