Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

pDev: 30%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,880 | Hads: 7,777
3.6/5  rDev 0%

Very breadsy, nutty smell. Pours a nice golden/light orange color with off-white head. Leaves good lacing on the sides of the glass, like sea monster dragons catapulting out of the sea. The taste is pretty bold and flavorful with hop aftertaste, and a bit sticky. It's good, but a one drinker per night in my opinion, then switch to something else quieter for session drinking. This would probably pair well with dinner, especially something meaty.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

pours a true amber color. 1 inch of offwhite head that dissipates quickly.
Smell is biscuity and malty. sweet
Taste is slight bitterness melded around a complex bread and caramel malt profile.
Mouthfeel is medium and lingers slightly afterward. reasonably clean finish but leaves you ready for another mouthful.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip shaped glass.

A - Nice clear burnished copper hue with two fingers of off-white foam. A small amount of lacing clings to glass--nothing really impressive.

S - The nose is predominantly biscuity malt.

T - Some malt sweetness upfront finishes with a little hops.

M - Medium body really not much carbonation.

A fairly mediocre drink.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Pours golden amber color. Lots of light tan head that leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: Has nice malt smell and hops with hints of pine.

T: Mild bitterness with minor aftertaste.

MF: Smooth, dry, slight carbonation and medium body.

Overall very drinkable and refreshing. Good beer for after a hard day of work.

Notes: Poured from 22oz bottle into glass. Drank 5-30-09 from bottle dated 14Aug09.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

True amber color throughout the body of the beer. Light smell from the malts not to overpowering but smells nice. Great taste all I could ask for in an amber ale, carbonation and use of malts are accurate. Very good beer, know wonder why it's New Belgium's flagship beer.

4.34/5  rDev +20.6%

pours a nice golden color with a thick creamy head the leave tons of nice lacing. smells sweet and malty.taste is really good semi sweet nice hoppy slight malt with lots of carbonation. nice huge bubbly mouthfeel and very very drinkable at anytime...

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Medium color copper with not a lot of thickness. Head is not very thick. Tastes as a simple amber with a little bit of spices. Easy drinkability, could easily drink 6 pack or couple pitchers. Not super complex but if it's on tap worth a try. Best of beer from this brewery in my opinion.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this on tap at The Local in Minneapolis - great irish pub. The deep amber color was laced with a thin creamy head. Initial taste is sweet with a light citrus note but the mouthfeel lacks depth. It did not give the "hoppy" crisp bitter I crave from an amber ale but I found it refreshing and highly drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

A- Copper Red Coloring topped off by a persistent foam ring that tends to stay for most of the beer.

S- Light floral hopping

T- The word here is balance. Nothing exceptional, but inoffensive to any palate. Everyone enoys this beer.

M- Clean taste with only the hops really sticking around between sips.

D- A very easy yet still delicious drinker.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

With all the hoopla, anticipation was high. Right off the bat, I was thoroughly disappointed with the macro-brew aroma. Pours clear bronze with thin tan head. Sticks to the glass well, so maybe it has some merit. Taste and feel was very similar to the macro brews which may explain the crowd of people it has drawn. On the plus side, it's highly drinkable, but I'd probably order a bud light for cheaper if that's what it came down to.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Very drinkable beer with a strong biscuit flavor. All around a good beer, but it is missing any unique flavors that some beer drinkers search for and others try to avoid. As a result, this is a safe bet for an all around crowd pleaser at parties where you may encounter multiple tastes.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

New to SC this week, I finally got out to purchase a bomber. This one pours a clear, amber color with bright white head and very good lacing. Has a subtle sweet aroma, but that's about it. Taste is similar...very light and semi-sweet with a somewhat dry finish. Seems like it is missing something. I think this beer would be much better if it had a bit more malt for sweetness. No doubt, this is a very easy drink and tasted quite fresh. I can't believe its abv is as high as it is. With all the hype, I'd have to say I was expecting more out of this beer. This is the only beer I've had by NB, but I look forward to trying the rest.

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

A- It looks nice. Pours a clear, clean amber with a low white head that leaves little lacing.

S- Hops, citrus, evergreen. The smell was okay, but a little weak.

T- Weak hops dominated, nothing really balanced it. There were hints of malt and a fruity hang. I found it rather boring. Not offensive, just not as complex as I'd like.

M- Light bodied and crisp. Didn't finish as clean as I'd like with such a light bodied beer. It left my mouth slightly coated.

D- This is really a fairly drinkable beer. I find everything about it to be understated. I think it would be pretty darn good if the flavor and smell were a little more potent and balanced.

2.23/5  rDev -38.1%

I like a few of New Belgium's beers. Tried this one. YUK! Smells sour, tastes sour, and has a slightly metallic aftertaste. WISH I had not spent the $ on it, but I thought since it was a "standard" amber ale, it would be good. Will NOT buy again.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ok so this is becoming a hipster beer quite quickly. It's pretty solid, I enjoy it; however there's nothing that makes it stand out really. It's a safe call if you're looking for an easy drinker among people who like different kinds of beer, but there are plenty of better beers.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Pours a nice amber color, with a big off-white head.

S: Sweet, fresh baked bread.

T: The inside of a malted milk ball candy meets a fresh baked buttery biscuit. A trace of hops on the finish.

M: A little thin, medium body at best.

D: Can drink a bunch of these in a row. My perfect "garage" beer.

I first tried a Fat Tire in Arizona ten years ago, and while they are tons of beers out there with alot more going on, I still enjoy a Fat Tire whenever I get my hands on some.

3.42/5  rDev -5%

A little less carbonated than my favourite brews (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada) but still very good. It has a mellow hop aroma and goes down well. It is one of the few beers (BMC swill excluded) that has to be cold for me to drink.

Another good point is that it's available everywhere. Easy to get.

3.5 out of 5!

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

I have heard things about Fat Tire. I heard it was great. I'm gonna find that person and ask them what was wrong. I was very unimpressed with this brew. It looked great after the pour, but the taste was weak. It had no real special taste to it. The beer went dwon easy, but it struggled to make it past my mouth. I'm not a slammer of beers, so I'm gonna say i got a bad batch and I'll have some when i want to encounter this again. Until then, I'll can just say this Fat Tire was flat. (Pun, I know. Don't hurt my karma, it's all I got left in this world.)

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

I'm reviewing this after drinking fat tire for many years. I've even been to the New Belgium brewery, the highlight of my beer career. I'm a bit biased because my junior year of college Fat Tire taught me what beer could be.

Pours a clear amber with a rich white head.

Smells a bit malty, slightly bread like.

Tastes, wonderful.Nice and smooth and well balanced.

The mouthfeel is pretty great too, perfect carbonation and not too heavy.

I could drink this beer every day, it's the perfect beer to pick up when you want to drink beer just to drink beer.

4.83/5  rDev +34.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium goblet. As a PA resident, this smuggled beer was my first foray into New Belgium beers, and it was a wonderful experience.

The first thing I noticed was the color. Calling this beer "amber" doesn't do it justice. It's a rich gold, with pleasing effervescence, and a thin, creamy had that left intricate lacing along the inside of the goblet as it receded.

The smell is not overly assertive, and it's dominated by an inviting, bready aroma, with a strong undercurrent of sweet malts. Overall, the aromas are extremely pleasant, and mesh well with the flavors of the beer.

The taste did not disappoint. The bready yeast flavors and rich maltiness are certainly there, and it's moderately sweet, but never cloying. This is a very well balanced beer, with no one flavor overwhelming the palate. There's also a very subtle hop character, but it only comes through in the aftertaste, adding another note of complexity to this brew.

The body is light and crisp, with a relatively high degree of carbonation, almost cleansing the palate between sips, leading to a beer that is continually pleasant and refreshing.

This beer was heavily hyped for me, but it certainly lived up to it! If Fat Tire was available in Pennsylvania, I would probably drink it every day.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Well, I finally got around to trying Fat Tire. I think I may have tried it a few years ago and was not impressed and thus never had it again. However, last weekend someone ordered me one so I was reintroduced to it.

For me, it was just average. It has a very roasted nutty flavor and it sits heavy in the stomach. Nice maybe with a meal or just by itself, but not if you're out drinking and plan on having more than one. I just don't know what all the fuss is about because I know a lot of people who quite like Fat Tire, but perhaps it's just not for me. Not much "wow" factor... I didn't find anything particularly unique or memorable about this brew.

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

realized I'd never reviewed this rare gem, so here goes nothing.

pours a surprisingly nice light amber with marigold highlights into my new belgium tulip. A frothy, thick two-finger head fades slowly to a thin cap that leaves solid lacing. Looks good.

aroma is malt, a touch funky, nutty and corn. earthy and grainy. hints of earthy hops. the grain aroma gets stronger as it warms.

taste is clean, crisp, hints of fruit, hints of malt, and a touch of hops - just enough for a pleasant crisp bitterness. apples, pear, some wheat and a touch of white sugar.

mouth is solidly clean, with moderate body, ample fine carbonation, almost creamy but not too thick. really works.

all in all, what can i say that hasn't been said? When fresh, it's pretty solid. when not brand-spankin-fresh, it's border-line awful... which is why I'm tossing it a slightly lower score... something about the malt profile just gets funky as it warms.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours an amber color with a medium sized white color head and decent lacing. Aroma of caramel, passion fruit, nuts, roasted malts. Taste is sweet caramel, nutty and a bit grainy. Not much hops in the taste. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied. Overall drinkability is good if you don't mind the sweet and nutty flavors.

3.24/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Fat Tire is a beer from New Belgium Brewery:

Pours an amber red, and produces a good sized head of foam. The smell is that of toffee, biscuits, and caramel. The taste is malty, bready, and reminds me a lot of a simply drinking a biscuit. The finish is semi-dry.

Drinkability: This is a solid beer which would pair well with a variety of foods. New Belgium made their name with Fat Tire, and it is certainly worthy of being a flag ship. I could drink more than one of these beers in a sitting.

4.38/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On a recent trip to Denver, I had the opportunity to sample and resample Fat Tire repeatedly, it being something of a family favorite. Straight from the bottle or poured into a pint glass in a restaurant, no matter what, this beer is the real deal. Malty, smooth taste, finished with light crisp hops that compliment, rather than compete with the malts. Dark amber color, slight frothy head (in the glass), great aroma. This is definitely one of my new go-to's...provided I'll be able to find it on the east coast.

Put this beer this way: My dad is a Coors Light/Busch kind of guy. He swears by those two beers (though he has been known to go for a guinness or a Honey Brown on occasion). He loves this beer. This, to him, is beer exploration (which he isn't the biggest fan of, unlike my brother and I) at its best. So if you know someone who's not a huge fan of branching out, buy them a Fat Tire. They just might thank you for it!

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing