Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,866 | Hads: 7,685
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

One of my session beers of choice, especially when it's available in any bar or restaurant in the state. Here in Colorado it's also the ultimate fallback beer as you can find it literally anywhere beer is sold.
Color is a rich reddish brown. I'd describe it as the color as finished cherry wood, but still opaque enough to see cleanly through.
The smell is of roasted malts, but with a sweetness at the end.
Taste is very clean and reminds me of roasted malts, but shockingly with a tiny hint of strawberry thrown in. I've never heard anyone mention that (other than myself) but once I mention it, it seems like everyone notices it! There's also a hint of a graham cracker flavor. Not a strong hop presense, but there's a hint in the finish.
It's one of those brews that I can keep drinking one after another. ABV is just right, too.
It's not perfect, but for the price and availabilty it's a great everyday beer to have on hand. It's also a wonderful gateway beer for those who've only been exposed to BMC. (1,007 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Fat Tire is a bright, clear amber color with some gold highlights. A 1/4" off-white head falls quickly to a cap. Very light lacing.

The aroma is bready with a bit of chocolate from the malt. Nice hoppy citrus character mixed in with smell of hay. Nice malty aroma.

Taste is earthy with some of the chocolate malt from the nose. Some sort of grainy(oat??) flavor in there as well.Light hop bite in the liquid as well. Nicely balanced overall, leans only slightly to the malty side.

Mouthfeel is good, it is a little less than full-bodied but worlds away from thin. Good carbonation, high drinkability. Smooth easy session stuff full of good flavor. (656 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: clear amber in color with a 1" head that slowly receded to a surface foam. Spotty lacing develops.

Smell: the aroma is of caramel and soft citrus.

Taste: this beer has a nice dry malty backbone as caramel, light orange, bread, and a mild bitterness complete the flavor tones.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. The mouthfeel is dry and lightly crisp at the start, and finishes dry with a short caramel and bready aftertaste.

Drinkability: a solid beer that is nicely drinkable on any occasion. (516 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

I've been thoroughly impressed with this Amber ale since visiting Colorado last year (though for some reason, I failed to review it). Excellent balance of malts and hops makes this one of the most drinkable beers I've had in quite some time. Nice light ruby ale with great mouthfeel. Too bad I cannot find this Charlotte. (321 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm having a bad night of reviews. This is the second beer in a row that had dissapointed to say the least.

The biggest problem I have with this beer is the heavy grainy/earthy smell and taste that you have to basically drink this quickly or the aftertaste will annoy you. Malty but this beer is really unfocused on what its supposed to be. It wants to be an amber ale but its to earthy/biscuity to qualify in my judgement. My wife tasted it as well and couldnt take another drink and she loves amber ale's. sometimes theres a reason that beers are on-sale all the time and this one seems to always be on-sale. (614 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Hazy light golden with a nice light beige head and nice active carbonation. Toasty biscuity grainy malt aroma and flavor. Nutty character with no hops noticeable. Light-medium bodied and fairly smooth with a dry toasty malt finish.

Good but highly overrated. I don't get it but remember only tasting hops in this once when I first tried it on draft in CO.

Per Label: 5.2% ABV

Best Before: 01/17/05
Tasted: 07/14/05 (424 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

This poured from the bottle a clear gold to amber with a decent sized cream colored head. The head receded quickly and left a nice lace on the glass. The aroma has a bit of roast malt up front backed by caramel and toffee from the malt. The taste has the same roast malt with a little nutty character. The caramel toffee note is there too, and just a hint of citrus from the hops. Nice smooth mouth feel leads to a high drinakbility. This is the Rocky Mountain and Midwest staple. Every liquor store and many bars have it available. Not a bad choice. (550 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a light honey color, with a beige head that rises up and settles quickly. Subtle aroma of lightly toasted malt, a bit flowery, some honey and fruit. Flavor is unassuming, lightly toasted malt, no hops to speak of, bits of honey and butterscotch, but not much else. Smooth mouthfeel, even carbonation. Good with a meal because it doesn't overpower any flavor but accompanies many pretty well. It's just a solid basic beer with good malt flavor, very drinkable. (465 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This poured a very bright copper hue. It smelled like biscuity malt with a hint of something floral. I wasent to concerned with the smell as it was the taste I most enjoyed. It was very medium bodied (but in a good way) very clean and very smooth going down. Very malty and toasty especially the lingering aftertaste. Its a great Ale my friends and I enjoy and I definatly reccommend it. (387 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

This was a clear, amber brew that arrived with not much head. Not sure if they poured it that way or not.

Aroma was mainly malty and not sweet. Not too many layers to it.

Taste was of bitter hops over a medium malt body. Again, not too layered, but not bad.

Mouthfeel was pretty normal for a beer of this style. Drinkability... well, it was about average. Nothing tremendous. Better than the macros they had on tap, that's for sure. (441 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Traded for this one. Nice golden brown, just about the same color of any other Amber Ale I've had. This is just about the same as any other I've had. I could drink this brew alot, but nothing really stands out from other's to me of this style. If you can get a chance to try it, do, but don't expect anything special. (317 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +11%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle with a raised ring on the neck Best before date, ABV, and recommended serving temperature all clearly marked.

Appearance: Poured into my New Belgium globe (great all purpose glass, by the way!). Red orange color with a medium sized head.

Smell: Lots of biscuity malt and some bread and yeast mixed in. There is also just a hint of fruit.

Taste: The same biscuit found in the aroma definitely comes through in the beer. Malt dominated, with the hops in the background. Clean and crisp taste.

Overall impression: Does this beer deserve the cult status it has? Probably not. Is it a damned fine beer? Definitely. Great session beer, and no one but the most ardent beer geek or BMC fanatic will ever turn one down. (759 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

The first time I had this out of a bottle, I wasn't impressed. This was especially true after enjoying it so many times on draft. I must've had a bad bottle because this came equipped to impress.
Appears a glowing amber with a frothy 2 finger white head. Tons of sticky white lacing clings to the glass. Medium streams of carbonation bubbles come rising to the top.
Smell is of sweet biscuity malts and grain.
Taste is of sweet, toasted biscuits backed with a fresh, hoppy bite.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well rounded as the sweetness fades into a crisp, hop finish.

Finger licking good. (599 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

05/29/05- Purchased at Piazza's Market in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 12oz bottle, forgot to look for dates. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Golden, maybe reaching for a darker color, pour. Lively pour which disappears soon. Little lacing along the edges.

Smell- Mostly malty scents. A bit of carboard or wet paper scent as well.

Taste- Heavy wet carboard malt flavor. A bit stale maybe? Some very bitter-like hop flavors as well. Is this the Fat Tire everyone is so crazy about?

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated, little aftertaste, but leaves you gasping for water from the dryness.

Drinkability- Truthfully, I'd rather have many beers instead of this one, including even a few macros. Not horrible, but not the taste I was expecting. Maybe I got an old one....I hope at least. (805 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Bronze body, good clarity, good carbonation, topped by two fingers of tight white foam. Good lacing. Interesting raised collar on neck of the bottle.

Aroma has a strong biscuit quality, and some spicey hop notes.

Taste kicks off with a big brash caramel impression, some spicey noble hops, some fruit, and finishes with a surprising big bite of toast.

Medium mouthfeel. Decent drinkability.

Didn't rock my world, but it did make an ok "beer before bed" on my recent Vegas adventure. The next most interesting beer at the "newsstand" store was Newcastle. (566 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

From the ring on the bottle neck, to the festive label picture, this one pleases a person! A clear (maybe too clear), light amber orange pour produced a small white head. Rich, malty aroma for an amber ale. But the taste, yum, very well balanced (slightly more malty) quaff that has a great toasty, biscuity finish. Somewhat thin, but an excellent summer session brew, or just for 1 or 2 for the deck. “New Belgium Brewing Company is wind powered & employee owned”. Beautiful. (478 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a dimple pint. The color is more golden but slightly amber, with a wispy, ringy white head. The smell is caramel sweetness with a touch of noble hopping. The taste is dominated by caramel, with a sweet honey flavor as well, but well-balanced by a Tettnang/Hallertau hop that provides a presence without being overpowering. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, some could say this is a bit cloying, but I think it's balanced just correctly, and as such this is such a nice session beer that I could easily drink this all day

Thanks to BlueMooner for this bottle. I imagine that people in the western part of the US, with Fat Tire's ubiquity, would be absolutely surprised that Fat Tire is so sought after by people east of the Mississipi where we don't see a drop of it. It's a shame that we don't see it out this way, but I could see myself drinking this one on a hot summer day....a terrific sessioner, and I see just why it's such a hit...one I'd enjoy having again. (1,010 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

New Belgium's flagship ale delivers a clear amber body beneath a billowing head of white froth that holds well and leaves beautiful Brussels-lace about the glass. The nose welcomes you with toasty and sweet malt, and that's exactly what you'll find in the flavor. It's malty... toasty, biscuity, and ever so slightly caramelish; laced with gently spicy and delicately floral hops; and backed by a firm bitterness that grounds it before it fades in a short lingering finish. It's an enjoyable, well-rounded, and drinkable ale that makes a great introductory beer for your friends who are used to American adjunct lagers and the golden "pilsners" from Canada, Mexico, and Europe; and it pairs well with a wide variety of foods such as grilled chicken, pasta primavera, soft-flavored semi-hard cheese (Fontina, Muenster, etc.), and French toast and eggs. (851 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours out to a nice orange color. Very inviting. The smell in my opinion is the bad part about this beer. It smells like bread, but in an unpleasant way. The taste is quite nice. Very subtle, with a nice round bitterness that is reminescent of chocolate or coffee. The initial contact with the beer to the tongue is very refreshing, with the bitterness and the malts rushing on as you swallow, and these melt away to leave a tiny trace of the alcohol. It feels pretty nice going down. Feels thicker than most beers, and the carbonation bubbles popping in your mouth gives it a "spicy" feeling. very exciting. Thicker than the average beer. This is a very drinkable beer, and I really love it! One of my favorites. (713 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%

this beer pours a deep garnet orange with a stiff white head. This beer smell awesome!!! Cinimmon, apple, spice, wheat bread, oak, vanilla, tobacco ... MMM good. As I drink it, the problem is, what flavors match up with these aromas? The beer has a great London/English fruity estery taste with christmas ale type flavors of nutmeg and cinimmon. I bet this would be a great mulled beer.

I wish I had more than one of these to review beacuse its a really complex ale that I would like to clone. A very drinkable ale with a great nutty spicey fruity finish. Thanks to Mccaaina for this beer. (592 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

First of all I must admit that ambers are not my favorite type of micro. The one thing that was good about this beer was the appearance, light amber with a decent head to it. However things go downhill from here. I smell a faint biscut aroma, not much other than that, no hoppy smell to speak of. The taste is even worse, tastes like Coors Lite with a little more malty flavor too it. Mouthfeel was just plain flat, no pep to it at all. As I said before I am not a huge fan of ambers but when I do drink them I prefer one that is either more malty or more hoppy. Fat tire just tasted weak and flavorless to me. I will be touring the brewery this summer and I can't wait, however I'll stick to their other brews which I love. (724 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a bright orange copper, bit of a chill haze. Nice thick off white head that leaves a good bit of lacing behind.

Aroma is fair, with a bit of floral hops in the air, and a bit of caramel.

Flavor is decent for the style, Starts with hints of sweet and toasted malts and finishes fairly dry. Just a hint of citrus hops in the finish.

Nice carbonation level, very crisp amber with a light to medium body. I could drink several of these while hanging out and not feel bloated or full. (494 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

There's a very small, tan-white, fizzy, filmy head. The beer is clear amber, ever so slightly reddish-copper. Some nice nuts and sugar in the nose. A nutty start leads to a choco-malty, light, milky, malty middle. The finish is nutty, grapesy with a nice, light bitterness. It's a good, fresh, light amber. Some decent malt and decent hops. It ranks highly for me among the "macrocrafts". (388 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

People are always coming into the store I work at and asking for this (we can't get it), so I was psyched to see it finally when I was in Arizona on vacation, and finally be able to find out why it was so popular with the tourists of RI. Overall, I think that while this brew strays from what I see as an Amber ale, it is still a very excellent beer. Color is amber, with a thin head that is sustained by steady streams of carbonation. Aroma is a soft chocolate scent with a twinge of tangy hops - mouthwatering. Taste is similar yet more varied, featuring a crisp hoppy start that is immediately accompanied by a rich chocolately malt, and finishes with the original dry-bitter (yet slightly fruity, apples and such) hoppiness. An awesome brew, I was glad to find it - and while is does deviate from a typical amber a little, I would chose this over most beers any day. (870 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Drank a big 22oz. offering on tap in Tempe AZ after competing in Ironman Arizona. Maybe this is somewhat biased, because I have had no beer in a few weeks, but after getting past the poor presentation by the restaurant I was in, it was very refreshing. Biscuity malts and a moderate body were the highlights of this offering. Some fruity flashes were present along with a moderately dry finish. This was the perfect pairing with my post race burger and fries dinner. Not a big beer, but good at what it was intended for, I could drink this all night! (550 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing