Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

pDev: 30%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,880 | Hads: 7,777
4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle with a raised ring on the neck Best before date, ABV, and recommended serving temperature all clearly marked.

Appearance: Poured into my New Belgium globe (great all purpose glass, by the way!). Red orange color with a medium sized head.

Smell: Lots of biscuity malt and some bread and yeast mixed in. There is also just a hint of fruit.

Taste: The same biscuit found in the aroma definitely comes through in the beer. Malt dominated, with the hops in the background. Clean and crisp taste.

Overall impression: Does this beer deserve the cult status it has? Probably not. Is it a damned fine beer? Definitely. Great session beer, and no one but the most ardent beer geek or BMC fanatic will ever turn one down.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

The first time I had this out of a bottle, I wasn't impressed. This was especially true after enjoying it so many times on draft. I must've had a bad bottle because this came equipped to impress.
Appears a glowing amber with a frothy 2 finger white head. Tons of sticky white lacing clings to the glass. Medium streams of carbonation bubbles come rising to the top.
Smell is of sweet biscuity malts and grain.
Taste is of sweet, toasted biscuits backed with a fresh, hoppy bite.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well rounded as the sweetness fades into a crisp, hop finish.

Finger licking good.

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

05/29/05- Purchased at Piazza's Market in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 12oz bottle, forgot to look for dates. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Golden, maybe reaching for a darker color, pour. Lively pour which disappears soon. Little lacing along the edges.

Smell- Mostly malty scents. A bit of carboard or wet paper scent as well.

Taste- Heavy wet carboard malt flavor. A bit stale maybe? Some very bitter-like hop flavors as well. Is this the Fat Tire everyone is so crazy about?

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated, little aftertaste, but leaves you gasping for water from the dryness.

Drinkability- Truthfully, I'd rather have many beers instead of this one, including even a few macros. Not horrible, but not the taste I was expecting. Maybe I got an old one....I hope at least.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Bronze body, good clarity, good carbonation, topped by two fingers of tight white foam. Good lacing. Interesting raised collar on neck of the bottle.

Aroma has a strong biscuit quality, and some spicey hop notes.

Taste kicks off with a big brash caramel impression, some spicey noble hops, some fruit, and finishes with a surprising big bite of toast.

Medium mouthfeel. Decent drinkability.

Didn't rock my world, but it did make an ok "beer before bed" on my recent Vegas adventure. The next most interesting beer at the "newsstand" store was Newcastle.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

From the ring on the bottle neck, to the festive label picture, this one pleases a person! A clear (maybe too clear), light amber orange pour produced a small white head. Rich, malty aroma for an amber ale. But the taste, yum, very well balanced (slightly more malty) quaff that has a great toasty, biscuity finish. Somewhat thin, but an excellent summer session brew, or just for 1 or 2 for the deck. “New Belgium Brewing Company is wind powered & employee owned”. Beautiful.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a dimple pint. The color is more golden but slightly amber, with a wispy, ringy white head. The smell is caramel sweetness with a touch of noble hopping. The taste is dominated by caramel, with a sweet honey flavor as well, but well-balanced by a Tettnang/Hallertau hop that provides a presence without being overpowering. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, some could say this is a bit cloying, but I think it's balanced just correctly, and as such this is such a nice session beer that I could easily drink this all day

Thanks to BlueMooner for this bottle. I imagine that people in the western part of the US, with Fat Tire's ubiquity, would be absolutely surprised that Fat Tire is so sought after by people east of the Mississipi where we don't see a drop of it. It's a shame that we don't see it out this way, but I could see myself drinking this one on a hot summer day....a terrific sessioner, and I see just why it's such a hit...one I'd enjoy having again.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

New Belgium's flagship ale delivers a clear amber body beneath a billowing head of white froth that holds well and leaves beautiful Brussels-lace about the glass. The nose welcomes you with toasty and sweet malt, and that's exactly what you'll find in the flavor. It's malty... toasty, biscuity, and ever so slightly caramelish; laced with gently spicy and delicately floral hops; and backed by a firm bitterness that grounds it before it fades in a short lingering finish. It's an enjoyable, well-rounded, and drinkable ale that makes a great introductory beer for your friends who are used to American adjunct lagers and the golden "pilsners" from Canada, Mexico, and Europe; and it pairs well with a wide variety of foods such as grilled chicken, pasta primavera, soft-flavored semi-hard cheese (Fontina, Muenster, etc.), and French toast and eggs.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours out to a nice orange color. Very inviting. The smell in my opinion is the bad part about this beer. It smells like bread, but in an unpleasant way. The taste is quite nice. Very subtle, with a nice round bitterness that is reminescent of chocolate or coffee. The initial contact with the beer to the tongue is very refreshing, with the bitterness and the malts rushing on as you swallow, and these melt away to leave a tiny trace of the alcohol. It feels pretty nice going down. Feels thicker than most beers, and the carbonation bubbles popping in your mouth gives it a "spicy" feeling. very exciting. Thicker than the average beer. This is a very drinkable beer, and I really love it! One of my favorites.

4.16/5  rDev +15.6%

this beer pours a deep garnet orange with a stiff white head. This beer smell awesome!!! Cinimmon, apple, spice, wheat bread, oak, vanilla, tobacco ... MMM good. As I drink it, the problem is, what flavors match up with these aromas? The beer has a great London/English fruity estery taste with christmas ale type flavors of nutmeg and cinimmon. I bet this would be a great mulled beer.

I wish I had more than one of these to review beacuse its a really complex ale that I would like to clone. A very drinkable ale with a great nutty spicey fruity finish. Thanks to Mccaaina for this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -24.4%

First of all I must admit that ambers are not my favorite type of micro. The one thing that was good about this beer was the appearance, light amber with a decent head to it. However things go downhill from here. I smell a faint biscut aroma, not much other than that, no hoppy smell to speak of. The taste is even worse, tastes like Coors Lite with a little more malty flavor too it. Mouthfeel was just plain flat, no pep to it at all. As I said before I am not a huge fan of ambers but when I do drink them I prefer one that is either more malty or more hoppy. Fat tire just tasted weak and flavorless to me. I will be touring the brewery this summer and I can't wait, however I'll stick to their other brews which I love.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a bright orange copper, bit of a chill haze. Nice thick off white head that leaves a good bit of lacing behind.

Aroma is fair, with a bit of floral hops in the air, and a bit of caramel.

Flavor is decent for the style, Starts with hints of sweet and toasted malts and finishes fairly dry. Just a hint of citrus hops in the finish.

Nice carbonation level, very crisp amber with a light to medium body. I could drink several of these while hanging out and not feel bloated or full.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

There's a very small, tan-white, fizzy, filmy head. The beer is clear amber, ever so slightly reddish-copper. Some nice nuts and sugar in the nose. A nutty start leads to a choco-malty, light, milky, malty middle. The finish is nutty, grapesy with a nice, light bitterness. It's a good, fresh, light amber. Some decent malt and decent hops. It ranks highly for me among the "macrocrafts".

4.27/5  rDev +18.6%

People are always coming into the store I work at and asking for this (we can't get it), so I was psyched to see it finally when I was in Arizona on vacation, and finally be able to find out why it was so popular with the tourists of RI. Overall, I think that while this brew strays from what I see as an Amber ale, it is still a very excellent beer. Color is amber, with a thin head that is sustained by steady streams of carbonation. Aroma is a soft chocolate scent with a twinge of tangy hops - mouthwatering. Taste is similar yet more varied, featuring a crisp hoppy start that is immediately accompanied by a rich chocolately malt, and finishes with the original dry-bitter (yet slightly fruity, apples and such) hoppiness. An awesome brew, I was glad to find it - and while is does deviate from a typical amber a little, I would chose this over most beers any day.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Drank a big 22oz. offering on tap in Tempe AZ after competing in Ironman Arizona. Maybe this is somewhat biased, because I have had no beer in a few weeks, but after getting past the poor presentation by the restaurant I was in, it was very refreshing. Biscuity malts and a moderate body were the highlights of this offering. Some fruity flashes were present along with a moderately dry finish. This was the perfect pairing with my post race burger and fries dinner. Not a big beer, but good at what it was intended for, I could drink this all night!

1.86/5  rDev -48.3%

Before we start, I will say that this beer is much better on tap. But we're reveiwing the bottle here. Pours a pale amber with a decent head. Try not to smell this beer if you can avoid it. Smells like a compost pile. The flavor is just off. Skunky and unpleasant. In the mouth it feels like beer, but you don't really want it in your mouth because it taste so off. Not really drinkable at all. New Belgium makes much better beer than this.

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%

pours a light orange, looks lagery. smell is mild roasted malts and taste is nothing impressive at all. almost like a sam adams clone. mild hop notes add something but a metallic aftertaste takes it right away. if 'refreshing' is the best thing i can say about a beer, you know that means trouble. not terrible, but a truly mediocre microbrew. if i had access to it, it might be a lawnmower beer.. but having to have it shipped puts it in the disappointment column.

Appearance - Pale amber in color, good head, good lace. Pretty clear.

Smell - Bready and nutty, and maybe estery. Hops do not present themselves.

Taste - Bready and busciuty, with some fruity esters thrown in. The hop bitterness is not very pronounced, which lets the beer's malt characteristics shine through.

Mouthfeel - Texture is sort of oily or butter-like without having any off flavors. Body is good.

Drinkability - This beer is easy to drink, and quite pleasureable at that.

Comments - I used to think this beer was just so-so. It grows on you.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%

Light orange in color with a rapidly dissolving pure white head, that leaves a streaky ring of lacing. The nose is largely toasted bread, malts and light floral hops. A massively large and full flavored slapping of biscuity malts, creamy and slightly carbonated. Biscuity and toasty sum up this amber ale. Flavorings of freshly baked bread, minimal hop bitterness, though it’s there. Pretty easy to drink, not too shabby.

3.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy copper with a big tan frumpy head that lasts. Gives off a pear aroma, yeasty, kinda skunky and reminiscent of the dump or the recycling center (though I suppose "biscuity" is the more generous term). The strongest points of this beer are its appearance and enchanting tingly feel. Tastes of apples and earthy, doughy malts. In many bars this one is as good as it gets and I know that I'll have many Fat Tires to come, though I probably never buy it in a store.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a clear golden amber, topped with a one finger off-white head, left webs of lacing.
A bit spicy nose, toast and biscuit.
Toasty, a bit of a spicy floral note, bread, with caramel.
Light bodied.
This was one of the beers I was looking forward to on my trip to Denver, I had heard a lot about it, but sadly it was just a little better than average to me.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

This was the beer that did it for me. This was the first non-macro I ever had the privelage of trying at the tender age of ~17. Even though it was the beer that sowed the seeds of my advocacy, I tended to pass it up in favor of shitty beer for several years to follow, except for on special occasions since I didn't know any better at the time (beer is beer before you are old enough to buy it yourself). Eventually the Fat Tire faded into near obscurity after eventually developing an infatuation for wheat beers such as Boulevard or Blue Moon. Recently though, my new roommate this semester noticed that I seem to almost never buy the same beer twice asked me if I had drank Fat Tire, which he drinks like friggin' juice when he has the opportunity to have it (since you can't get it here in Iowa). Now it seems that every time I go back home (just across the river from Nebraska) I have to pick up some of this just on principle, just so I can enjoy a good beverage with my otherwise macro loving roomies.

Alright, now that the reminiscing and all that sentimental bullshit is over with, let's talk about the beer. It pours to a pale amber with a thin film-like white head. Now that my beer horizons have extended this is not really all that impressive looking. It used to seem very unique when I first had something other than a fizzy yellow beer. The smell is VERY biscuity. Not really anything else worth noting in the smell since the biscuit malts are so powerful.

The taste is also dominated by biscuit malts, but there is also a hint of fruitiness in the background. I can't help but agree with my roommates that this tastes more like juice than beer, but it doesn't have enough depth of character for me. Nonetheless, it is a very intriguing beer for a brewery to have as a flagship. I will continue to drink this when it is available to me, but my main priority is to drink the other beers offered by New Belgium that I haven't already had, such as the Tripel, 1554, and seasonals. Hopefully we will get New Belgium in Iowa soon, as I heard we are supposed to have it soon (at least Fat Tire and other more easily accessable brews like Sunshine wheat).

Clear light amber color, nice head & lacing. Nose is a nutty malt aroma. Predominant taste is rich, slightly caramel malt, nutty (toasted pecans?), biscuity and faintly roasted. Hop bitterness balances out well. Finishes malty but dry. Moderate carbonation and body.

A superb session beer, with no obvious faults. We're fortunate in the southwest to have this beer on draft nearly everywhere. No longer do we have to settle for a Sam Adams or Shiner bock. Highly drinkable beer. My only caveat is that it ages poorly, and at a few months old quickly declines in quality.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pouring from a bottle into a goblet, it pours a nice honey-amber color with 2 fingers thick of foamy head (looks like insides of a biscuit). The head dissipates to nice cling and some edge lacing within 1-2 minutes. Smell is of biscuits, celery, and earthy hops. To tell you the truth, the smell reminds me of beef & vegetable stew w/ biscuits. Kinda odd to me! However, when taking a sip, I notice what I smelled is exactly what I taste. The grainy malts and the biscuits and vegetables comes out right away. I never knew beer could taste like dinner...hell, i thought it was dinner! Anyways, feel is mainly light, tingly carbonation on the sip that follows through til the swallow. Slight alcohol on the finish, but nothing exciting. Definitely a beer you should try, but I can only take the taste so much. However, very interesting to say the least!

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours with a quick light ivory head settling over clear amber liquid. Noticable toasty, lightly smoky nose. Snappy hops tasted right out of the gate with a biscuity and malty undertone. Faint caramel sweetness follows through into the balanced finish. Great session brew.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Always heard that the glass determines a lot of the appearance. Poured 1/2 of 12 oz brown (non-twist off) bottle into a Pils glass and 1.2 into a goblet. The goblet had little head with no retention, only a ring of foam and almost no lace. The Pils glass really showed off the appearance! fine foam arose to more than 4 fingers and coalesced into a course head of large bubbles. The pils retained 1 cm. head after 5 minutes. Lace clinged to the entire glass to the origional pour line after the glass was empty. Got you thinking about appearance ratings? No Difference in the bright amber - copper/gold clear color.

Initially, I was not fond of this taste: bisquit malt and "undesirable tannin grain flavor -Todd" the hops seem a little week providing only a "quicky" aftertaste that fades too soon. Served beer at 50 F. and tasted slowly until 62 F. the light to almost medium mouth feel improved with temp the malt and bread came out - maybe I just got used to the husky tannin grain.

I would say this is a very drinkable "session beer". Been thinking of what snacks to have with the rest of the supply for the superbowl XXXIX.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing