Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

The waitress told me it was a Belgian Ale, and although it had a hint of Belgian characteristics, I found it to be wanting in fullness of body and taste.
I see that it is classified as an American Amber Ale and agree that is a more fitting description.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Light amber, slight orange hue.

S: Bread, bread, and bread. This has a very malt-forward smell. Just the slightest hint of anything remotely hoppy.

T: Roasted malts are the dominating taste here. It does have a biscuit-like taste to it (just like the label says.) There is almost no hop presence here.

M: This is where the beer really shines, it's surprisingly light and carbonating for being so malt heavy.

O: Not my favorite beer ever, I like a lot more hops than this beer offers. To me one of the most redeeming qualities is that out of the beers widely available at restaurants, bars, and gas station etc, this is one of the better options, especially since I don't drink (anything) from macros. The other thing I think Fat Tire has going in it's favor is that it's extremely sessionable. It's ironic that I absolutely love Ranger and 1554, but the original is somewhat lacking.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was "the" beer to be seen with in my neck of the woods last year, although I often wondered if anyone was drinking it. On paper, this is a great beer. In presentation, this is an excellent beer. In truth though, the taste I find sub-par.

The color is amazing, the head pours nice (I poured from a bottle), and there is some really light lacing down the side. However, I find this beer much too earthy tasting for me, and while it is decent, it is defiantly not one that I will try again anytime soon. To me this beer tastes like someone went half and half with a Michelob and a Yuengling Traditional, and I am not really crazy about either. I will admit that the taste does mellow out if you drink several of these, but I find that with most beer too.

Fat Tire is basically like having a friend that is a body builder, and when you get him to help you move you find out that it is all superficial and he sucks at using his muscles in a realistic way--it is a let down. I feel like if they spent more time on the beer rather than the label art and the advertising, this would have been better. I expected more out of New Belgium, because I generally like their beers, but the Fat Tire offering that I had reminded me that not every microbrewery can be Sierra Nevada. Man, I should go and get some Pale Ale to wash this earthworm flavor out of my mouth...

3.31/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The first time I tried this beverage I hated it, good thing I reserved judgment till now. This amber ale has grown on me as of recently. I sampled it a few months back after I took a long hiatus from tasting it that first time.

I would say it is above average in all aspects except appearance. A good basic go-to, but nothing exceptional. Value is decent as well when compared to similar styles.

If I was to drop in a random gas station I would not hesitate to grab a sixer of this.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing