1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

good

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,486 | Reviews: 1,753 | Show All Ratings:
Das_Reh

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

RE-REVIEW

This beer's popularity has exploded here in recent months in Florida, and after putting it off I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an octagonal pint glass

A = Nice amber color, clear as crystal, with about a 1 cm head after an easy pour. An attractive amber ale, but nothing exciting.

S = sweet and malty, with a chocolate characteristic. Very pleasant and inviting.

T = Sweet malts are at the helm of this amber ale. Previous example I had was almost devoid of any hop bitterness... perhaps it was an 'off' bottle or I was drinking it too cold. Hop bitterness is fairly balanced, but play second role to the malt. There is a chocolatey, almost "Tootsie-Roll" like flavor. Bready and sweet.

M = Medium bodied, well rounded but not filling or too heavy.

O = I shouldn't have rated this so poorly on my first review. Whether I had a bad bottle or was drinking it too cold, I missed out. This is a solid amber ale, something that most everyone can enjoy. Even my BMC loving cousin likes this beer. My only complaint is that I find it a bit too much on the sweet side to be sessionable, but that's completely subjective.

11-17-2013 23:56:24 | More by Das_Reh
harleymonster1

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this beer is very approachable, beautiful color for a red, love the toasty texture. wish I could spread butter on the biscuit like beer. poured with a nice lacy head. love it, this is an ale that can stand up to many that claim to be better. Stewart's Brewing Company's Red is a bit sweeter but compares nicely.

11-17-2013 05:42:23 | More by harleymonster1
57md

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The hype that accompanies this beer almost required me to sample it when I saw it on-tap at one of my favorite watering holes.

Appearance is a light copper with less than a finger of head. The nose is quite mild in general; perhaps there was a hint of citrus. The flavor profile is light with a mild bitterness on the finish. This offering would make for a very fine session beer during warmer months, but it does not come close to living up to the hype.

11-09-2013 07:06:34 | More by 57md
stevecee2003

2.96/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

APP - poured from a 12oz bottle. Has a nice amber color with a soft but sizable head. Settling into some nice lace on the glass.

SM - For me I can't pick up much in the way of smells. It's my first ever glass of this beer, so maybe I should try again another time.

TASTE - Malts ring through. Perhaps toasted malts? There is also the hint of hops, I assume in hopes of balancing the taste. It doesn't do it for me though. It looks good. All dressed up- but I can't quite belly up to the flavor.

MF - There is a soft clean feel on the tongue.

NOTES: My local beer whisperer led me to try this beer. He says it is wildly popular. That may be. But it will be an occasional brew for me. Something to balance another stronger type.

11-02-2013 02:41:53 | More by stevecee2003
Jeffreysan

Maryland

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden amber color, with a finger of off-white head, speckled with orange highlights, that dissolved into a lacing of foam that covered virtually the entire top of the beer in wispy clouds.

Aroma: Very malty and bready. Smells like a bakery. A little sweetness in the nose too. Slight hints of citrus and spice, like orange peel and black pepper.

Taste: Very malty up front, followed by some spice of black pepper, slight hints of clove and coriander, and finished by a good balance of hops. Caramel and honey provide a good sweetness to round out the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. At an ABV of 5.2%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: I love this beer!! It’s one of my favorite American beers. Always solid, always flavorful, always good. There’s always some of this in my fridge.

10-30-2013 00:50:56 | More by Jeffreysan
itsscience

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a ruby copper color with a generous two-finger head and decent retention. The aroma lacks the hoppiness typical of American amber ales: it's all sweet malts with a caramel and hard candy profile. It tastes bready with notes of caramel, toasted oats, fruit esters, and the slightest addition of hops for bittering. Goes down smooth with a medium body and good carbonation.

10-29-2013 04:08:32 | More by itsscience
USAF77

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First thing I noticed, right when I opened the bottle, was the smell. Very toasty and bready. A very aggressive smell. I even smell it on my hand. And I like it, right now Im not even drinking but just smelling the air around the glass. Sort of a yeasty toast but very pleasurable.

A nice pour. Im slow on the pour with my ales cause they give me pleasure when they fill the glass so i didnt get much of a head. Actually I was so entranced with the smell I wasnt paying much attention to pouring a head. There is bitterness in this brew, but more to the after taste then the taste. The toasty bitterness is both dry and satisfying. This brew doesnt "refresh" it "satisfys".

A lovely gold to swirl in the light, with a little bit of cloud and just enough carbonation. Now im getting a dry toasty after taste that probably shouldnt pleasure yet it does. I like it, I like it a lot.

10-25-2013 21:50:29 | More by USAF77
watermelon

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Says best before 10/20/13

A: Poured an orange-amber color, with a white head that went away quickly.

S: I can smell carmel and toffee, as well as some bread notes.

T: Taste nutty and like biscuit. Toasted carmel flavors as well.

M: very carbonated. This is an easy drinking beer, but I would have preferred it to have a bit more body.

O: I enjoy Fat Tire, its not my favorite offering by New Belgium but it is very good, especially now that the weathers getting colder.

10-24-2013 23:23:05 | More by watermelon
Supertrooper44

Indiana

4.59/5  rDev +27.9%

fat tire is overall a very good beer smell is great, only had it in bottles havent really tried it on tap so im sure its way better but this is the kind of beer you can really just sit and drink all day and relax price range is good excellent beer try it some time

10-22-2013 02:21:31 | More by Supertrooper44
Spikester

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear amber with two fingers of white head. Some lacings. Aroma is like bread dough. Taste is yeasty sweet malts with enough earthy hops to balance the flavors. Mouthfeel is fine though a bit over carbonated. It has a slight bitter dry finish. I made the effort to find a fairly fresh example and was rewarded for my effort. I have had less stellar examples of this beer and can usually trace it to poorly stored or just plain old product. Not the best American Amber I've had but one of the most unique. Very sessionable if you enjoy the taste.

10-20-2013 08:18:52 | More by Spikester
Calypso

3.29/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Clear, dark amber. Persistent foamy white head leaves wonderful lacing.
S - Bready with a hint of hops.
T - Nuts and wheat, with some caramel malts.
M - Crisp, light body, high carbonation.
O - A little too yeasty for my tastes, but decently balanced. It has its place.

10-16-2013 17:33:12 | More by Calypso
micromaniac129

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured an almost orange amber color. A small head beige in color was produced and didn't last nor was there any lacing.
Aroma was mostly seet caramel malts with a slight toasted scent. Faint hops.
The taste was much like the nose: sweet caramel malts and lightly toastted malts towards the ending. I detect perhaps a hint of fruity malts.
A drinkable easy going beer. It's boring but then it is a standard too.

10-14-2013 02:09:19 | More by micromaniac129
I3eck

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Bottle -> Wine Glass

A: Crystal clear orange/amber color, nice 1/2" beige/blonde head which dissipates quickly, minimal/spotty lacing.
S: Toast, toasted malts, chocolate, caramel, crème brulee.
T: Malty, chocolaty/mocha, slightly hopped, floral.
M: Light to medium body, light CO2, nice slightly bitter hop finish.
O: I've had this beer many times before and felt it was time to do an official review - as I am new to this and this is now #8 for me. This is a good go-to for me. Great drinkability for any season or occasion and is a pretty solid beer. In the past I have paired it with a sidekick of orange cognac and the two play off each other quite well - it is a great chocolate/orange combo.

10-04-2013 21:10:41 | More by I3eck
gabedivision

3.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle to a SA. Perfect pint glass

A- pours a rich golden amber with a solid 1 finger head crystal clear with some visible carbonation

S- sweet caramel malts, some butterscotch, some bready notes

M- toasted grains, sweet malts, caramel, butterscotch, slight toffee. There is a sweetness the surrounds this beer, and a grainy slightly bitter finish

M- light bodied, highly carbonated, tingly, clean.

O- not bad, always wanted to try this, and now I did... It's not bad, it's drinkable but has a macro-feel to it a little too clean a little too funky, too artificially sweet. Just a malty sugary ale that's easy to drink, it's okay.

09-22-2013 02:43:05 | More by gabedivision
Mello429

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoyed the clean finish of this beer. It was extremely easy to drink and left me wanting more. I would consider it a sessionable beer. I would buy a six pack of this for football Sunday. Taste like it would be great with chips wings or a really good shrimp po-boy.

09-18-2013 01:46:38 | More by Mello429
Maninthearena

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance-Poured a red-amber with a nice thick foamy head and lace.

Nose- Some sweet malt hits first. Fairly yeasty with bread crust elements. Just a wee bit of bitter hops towards the end. Maybe some orange.

Taste- Some grains and yeast here. Caramel and toastiness dominate. I suppose one could say "biscuity".

Mouthfeel- Pretty crisp, somewhat thin in its body, but when combined with the thick head yields a nice round texture.

Overall- Not what I'd call a life changing beer, but one of my go-tos when I'm out and nothing else sounds good. Always a pleasure to drink.

09-18-2013 01:17:13 | More by Maninthearena
DMEsquire

Mississippi

3.34/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

People have been hating on this beer lately, but I suppose that happens with all craft brews that are marketed well and are, therefore, very successful. Anyway, I live in Mississippi, where New Belgium is unfortunately not sold yet. So, I had to pick it up in Memphis.

I got it in the can, as I am a firm believer that most beers (especially this one) taste better from a can. I don't know if it's the can conditioning, or the lack of sunlight reaching the beer, or the simple fact that it tastes colder, but I love it.

So, the beer itself is, in my opinion, the standard example of an amber ale. It's not as complex as a porter or an IPA, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a good, crisp, drinkable ale, suitable for tailgating at a football game, doing yard work, or just sitting at the house watching T.V. This beer would be my go to and I would keep it stocked if only it were available in my home state (hint hint New Belgium..)

Serving type: can

09-18-2013 00:52:20 | More by DMEsquire
scaliasux

Wisconsin

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance - Amber, maybe a little hazy. Short just off-white head with good persistence.

Smell - Light caramel malt. Light grapefruity hops.

Taste - Caramel malts and citrus hops. Dry finish. Lemon, grapefruit, toast, toffee

Mouthfeel - Medium.

Overall - Nice flavor and goes down easy. Strikes a very drinkable balance between caramel malt and citrusy hops.

09-17-2013 04:00:11 | More by scaliasux
PaulyB83

2.71/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at Red Lobster

A- Bright orange-amber color. Slightly off-white head

S- Not getting much of anything, some caramel malts and faint nobel hop type aromas

T- Weak, and very watery, closer to a BMC than a craft brewed beer. Getting less malt and hops in the taste than the aroma

M- Thin but easy drinking I guess

O- New Belgium is hit or miss for me with more misses than hits. La Folie was great and their triple and abbey is a good cheap american version of those styles. But this one being one of their flagship beers I expected more flavor. When it comes to easy drinking amber ales I will stick to my Bell's.

09-14-2013 19:24:08 | More by PaulyB83
MikeB20

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

P: 22oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a golden amber with a two finger off white head. Nice lacing that sticks throughout the glass.

S: Grainy biscuit malt and that's about it.

T: Very similar to the smell. Biscuit or bread like malt. Slightly sweet, not a lot of hop bitterness, just enough to keep things in balance. Refreshing, very easy to drink but not all that complex.

M: Moderate body, refreshing carbonation. Easy to drink.

O: A solid beer but I'm not sure it stands out in the crowd. The price is reasonable and I'd recommend at least giving it a try.

09-09-2013 21:25:13 | More by MikeB20
wiegs4life

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

I was on vacation down in North Carolina so I wanted to try the local beers I can't get back in PA. I've had the 1554 from the brewery before and liked it so I decided to try the very popular Fat Tire. I found it weird that a beer from Colorado was sold in North Carolina and not up in Pennsylvania. I had this beer yesterday 9/7/13.

A - I poured the bottle into a regular pint glass. There was a hint of amber red. As for most beers, this was not very opaque.

S - Not usually one for the smell of the beer but this beer smelt like fresh flowers on a warm spring day.

T - It tasted really good, but I noticed a weird aftertaste as the beer got warmer. Not sure what that was about.

M - Pretty standard in the mouth category. I’m not going to get fat tire flavored Listerine either, although beer flavored Listerine would be crazy cool.

Overall I am amused by it, but I'm not going to rush out of state to get it. If I saw it on draft somewhere I might try it, but I’m not going to pay more than domestics for it.

09-08-2013 13:08:42 | More by wiegs4life
Mikecap

Louisiana

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A craft beer classic, ashamed to admit I just finally tried it.

Appearance: Pours a medium amber with a thin white head that fades quickly, not too much lacing on my glass.

Smell: Malty sweetness with hints of caramel, some earthy notes, and hint of citrus.

Taste: Malt forward for sure, I get the caramel and some pine, and a bit of oak. A hint of citrus fruit comes through as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a solid creamy texture and good carbonation. A good easy drinking beer.

Overall: This is a good beer, not one I want to drink all the time but great for what it is.

08-29-2013 01:24:31 | More by Mikecap
inlimbo77

3.61/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz, Best Before Date 12/13/13 (I think that is what it said)
Riedel tulip

*Can't believe I never reviewed this*

A: Pours a fairly clear reddish brown (amber) color. I got a nice two finger fluffy off white/tannish head on this. Nice carbonation. Leaves some lacing bits.

S: Get that nuttiness that you usually pull from a amber and brown ales. Some earthy hops are behind it. Definitely those sweet biscuit like malts that this beer is known for.

T: Taste follows the nose. Sweet bready malts dominate this brew. Definitely getting that nuttiness that you pulled from the nose. The hops are meshed in nicely. Easy light bitterness to match the sweetness. Finish is slightly dry. Lingering flavors from the malts.

M: Medium bodied. Good carbonation.

08-23-2013 15:50:52 | More by inlimbo77
Isoruku

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

God knows why Fat Tire is considered a worthy craft beer. New Belgium have cleverly marketed it as an icon of the micro-brewery phenomenon, but it has to be the one of the least memorable, blandest and unremarkable beers I ever experienced. I suspect that its unthreatening character is precisely why it is often the default "craft beer" in many taverns - the typical person ordering it is the State Farm agent who has an office in the strip mall and his date Tiffany, who drinks it from the bottle.

But give New Belgium credit - they've got a winning product here! One dimensional, boring, and not-too anything (e.g. not-too hoppy, not-too-bitter, not-too-malty).

Fat Tire may be a cash cow, but seekers after a rewarding drinking experience should look elsewhere.

08-21-2013 19:16:32 | More by Isoruku
Celtics17

4.14/5  rDev +15.3%

This was my entry into craft beer years ago. This was my favorite beer for awhile. Although I've had better since. This beer has a solid taste,smell, and it's a solid medium body. The taste that always pops out is caramel, with some oak tasting notes. Some Toffee notes as well.

Appearance light cooper appearance. Some people call this beer watered down. I think it can be at times, it all depends which batch you get. New Belgium has some average beers out there, but their staple is always solid.

08-21-2013 05:41:15 | More by Celtics17