Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Had this beer on tap. Poured with a good amount a head. It has a nice amber clear look to it. It has a great taste with a lot of flavor. It is a great American ale with a lot of different layers. It has a bit of sweetness and nut flavor to it. It is a great beer to have with dinner. Cheers.

chiccabeer, Mar 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

For the price, it's an excellent beer. I really don't have any complaints.

Appearance: Dark reddish orange. Looks like I'd expect from a fine amber ale.

Smell: Eh... the smell is kind of hard to detect at first. It smells like warm buttered biscuits... kind of... not a whole lot going for it in the nose section.

Taste: After the smell, I wasn't expecting much, but fortunately, I was completely wrong. This beer is very malt forward with just a hint of hops circling in the background. Just enough to give it that flavor without overpowering the malty earthy sweetness that makes this beer so good.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, not too thin. Nothing ultra impressive here, but definitely a good mouthfeel.

Overall: I'd recommend this for a session beer. It's relatively cheap, has good flavor and goes down smooth. I'd drink it any day.

Fatheranderson, Mar 20, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

This is in fact an amber ale, orange amber. Surprisingly fair lacing clings to the glass. There is a light aroma of hops melded with some nutty malt. Faint aroma not much jumps out. The flavor is malt forward with good fruity qualities. Well rounded body, highly drinkable. There isn't much to say about this beer. It's always my 1st when I land in Co, and here I am!

pmlondrigan, Mar 16, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -22%

A: Amber red hue. Rocky off white 1 finger head. Lots of carbonation apparent.

S: Kind of dry in a way. Not really too much going on really besides the basic smell of toasted barley.

T: Really crisp and refreshing. Dry and biscuit-like. It comes off evenly balanced and has a sweet finish.

M: Well carbonated and light-bodied.

D: Really drinkable. It's a beer that is complex enough to keep you interested while not too excessive on the abv.

valdesd1, Mar 14, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

A - pours a nice deep golden color with a off-white head that's built to last; coated my mug with a nice lacing that stuck around for a while

S - nose detects a hint of biscuity malts, but that's about it

T - immensely refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness; malts are more prominent than the hops, but the hops do kick in at the finish; a remarkably well-balanced brew that goes down nice and easy

M - on the thin side, but not to worry; the light to medium carbonation smoothed out eventually which allowed a pleasant creaminess to dominate at the finish

D - very good and extremely well-balanced beer, worth a shot.

iLovehops23, Mar 13, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Great copper color with a nice tan cap.

S: Sweet roasty malts with slightly fruity hops.

T: Malts and a warming alchoholic taste.

M: Light bodied and smooth, head is always there with a swirl 0f the glass.

D: Very drinkable and wished so very hard they would sell it .

nukem5, Mar 12, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a standard pint glass.

A: Medium amber in color, 1 finger head that remains and leaves nice lacing.

S: Hops and malts, earthy with a slight citrus hop character.

T: Biscuit malts, crisp hops. Nothing special. This is refreshing in that they are letting the hops and malt make the flavor and not relying on various spices.

M: slightly creamy, good carbonation.

D: A beer to sip on around the campfire on the lake. But could be enjoyed under any circumstance.

drowninginhops, Mar 11, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

It's all the rage -- like it or hate it. I've enjoyed here and there in the past, but it's never become a "go-to" in any way -- and I've also never reviewed it. Here goes --

22 oz. Bomber bottle, best before May 15, 2011.

American Amber, eh? I've always heard that this was based on Belgian Pale Ale.

A -- Deep golden-amber with a firm, slow-settling, off white head that leaves good lacing.

S -- Aroma has prominent DMS with spicy hops in the finish. There's biscuit malt & some Brett in-between, but very fleeting.

T -- The flavor is a nice balance of mellow caramel malts and mildly spicy hops. That Brett character is present in the background, but far from overpowering. The finish spicy, lightly bitter, hops with the lightest citrus character and an aftertaste of nutty malt.

M -- Mouthfeel is crisp with a light medium body.

D -- Drinkability is certainly good and I'll keep this in mind for those bars and restaurants that might not offer much else. As to American Amber or Belgian Pale, the hopping rate and mild Brett sway me more to the Belgian style.

steveh, Mar 10, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -10%

[Best served in an Pint glass]

The pour was a sparkling clear light copper with an average (1-2 finger) foamy white head that diminished in a few minutes and had OK lacing.

The aroma was of a biscuit malt, a mild herbal hop and a doughy yeast with mild hint of citrus, caramel and was a little nutty.

The taste was lightly malty with a hint of caramel in the beginning and took on a very light bitter and crisp flavor with a small citrus note at the end. The flavor faded rather quickly after the swallow leaving almost nothing behind.

Mouthfeel was just a bit above light in body and creamy yet watery in texture with a prickly carbonation.

Overall a decent tasting brew, nothing overly special but quite drinkable none the less. Would make a great session beer.

KajII, Mar 10, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this before in a bottle. This time, I'm getting it in the can thanks to CurtisMcArthur. Thanks for the trade and the chance to try this beer!

12 oz can with a best before date of May 2011 stamped on the bottom. Poured into an Irish pint glass.

Look: clear amber body. A very aggressive pour yields about a finger of off white head with decent retention and a little bit of lacing.

Smell: toasted, biscuity malt with some earthy hop aromas. Compared to the bottle I had, not as strong and a bit more centered on the toasted malt than I remember it being.

Taste: follows the nose with toasted malt being in the forefront and a slight taste of earthy hoppiness. There's not a whole lot going on here except the toasted malt, which is a bit too forward for me.

Feel: thin body, crisply carbonated, and a little sweet.

Drink: quite an easy drinking beer. Since there's not much flavor, you don't have to worry about getting a fatigued palate.

Overall, the can isn't as good as the bottle. There seems to be something different about it... the toasted malt flavor is a bit too forward and its a bit too one noted for me. Stick to the bottle is my advice. I don't know if my experience is common but if it is... New Belgium, clean up your canning operation! Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Mar 05, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

After hearing so much about this beer from my friend, I decided to try it. Decent head on the pour into a pint glass, nice golden color. Taste-wise, nothing stood out to me in particular. That's not to say it was a bad beer - on the contrary I found it quite enjoyable. It was just a well made, simple, no frills ale. Seems like it would make a good session beer, as well as a good stepping stone for those looking to expand into craft beers.

livewire05, Mar 02, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this at Yellowstone National Park

A- fine normal amber color. nothing out of the ordinary here people

S- malt and sweet fruit but very light on both in my opinion.

t- i like this taste. malty with a normal clean aftertaste. not unlike many Bigger corporations. but this seems a bit more on the taste scale.

M- normal. not chewy but a bit thinker than most ambers i would say

overall i like this beer. It has been a "gateway" to craft for many of my friends. While its not far off from other ambers, i think this is a very approachable beer to say the least. ohh and old faithful is nice.

dizknee24, Mar 02, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Not much of a head on the beer. A light amber color with a very malty aroma. Very mellow taste, with very light hop undertones. A decent beer with citrus flavors and smooth going down. Not a great session beer because the malts can fill you up after a few.

Glibber, Feb 28, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a nice amber read, as advertised.

Less than an inch of head, non-persistent lacing.

Aroma was only decent - I'm still amateur at this with regard to my beer palette but it felt it could've used more hops.

Overall an enjoyable ale but not something I would seek out.

Jameskorte, Feb 27, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is amber colored and clear. I got about an inch of off white head.

S - Toasted caramel malt

T - I get buttery toffee along with some caramel malt.

M - Thin

D - This is a decent beer. It's pretty good for the style.

buschbeer, Feb 27, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Ah, Fat Tire. I remember having a taste of this in my college days and absolutely hating it. Now I laugh at how little i know about beer. Freshness dated 13JUN'11

Pours a light clear amber with a small head and non-persistant lace. Little bubbles coming up from the bottom.

Smells slightly hoppy, slightly like a crushed up graham cracker.

Tastes... hm. Well, you know those Bit-O-Honey candies? Tastes like one of those, to me. Slight hop edge and caramel/honey malts. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is nice, mildly thick but still crisp.

Drinkability? Hell, this beer goes down like any beer should. Great in the bottle, even better on tap. What can i say? Its a nice ale.

BaronRogue, Feb 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer is my go to. It has a great taste and is easy to get anywhere for the reasonable price. I have had this on draught as well and its even better. If you are an ale fan this is one to try or retry. I would like to try and make my own personal brew similar to this one. I would not mind if they changed the flavor to make it just a bit more hoppy.

wrcraigl, Feb 25, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Love NB Labels they r very artistic!!!

Appearance - Pours a fairly clear golden-amber color with about 1/2 finger white heard. The head dissapated rather quickly to a think ring. Left little to now lacing on the glass.

Smell - I gathered a toasty sweet maltiness right off the bat. Subtle hoppy undertones as well.

Taste - Tasted very similar to the smell with sweet toasty malt taste up front with a nice hoppy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel - A medium bodied offering with a good amount of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.
Drinkability - A nice smooth beer that is very easy to drink. The carbonation gives it a heavier feel than it actually is.

I have had the opportunity to try this beer on mutiple occasions and have yet to be dissapointed. I highly recommend!!!

thegodfather1076, Feb 24, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -10%

A - Into a pint glass...pours a deep golden color with an off-white head. Decent lace.

S - Other than some biscuity malts....not much more.

T - Mostly malt with some slight bitterness. Started out more promising than it ended. I was hoping for more but it stopped at pretty one-dimensional.

M - Medium body....smooth drinker.

D - Quite drinkable. Not complex but refreshing and clean. Would not seek this out but would never refuse it.

Brunite, Feb 24, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

A- Pours orange, somewhat close to copper colored. Two finger head. Retention is decent. Lacing is below average.
S- Sweet malt, a bit toasted, some biscuity notes.
T- Same here. Toasted malt, pretty sweet throughout, just enough hop bitterness. Decent, but kind of lacks anything better then a "meh."
M- I found it a bit thin and undercarbed.
O- A cult classic that, though decent, does not live up to the hype. That being said, it's an easy drinking and refreshing beer.

jsprain1, Feb 21, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a moderate copper color without haze. Average-sized white head that leaves behind a bit of lacing and has pretty good retention. The nose is a bit malty with some bread crust, slight caramel, and a touch of hops. The flavor is pretty basic and plain, though it is certainly inoffensive and I can see why so many flock to this beer. There is a bit of toast plus caramel and a very mild earthy presence. Light to medium body with a slight bitterness in the finish. Drinks well enough, though I'd prefer Bell's Amber and often suggest that as an alternative to others.

Thorpe429, Feb 19, 2011

Sometimes I forgot I was drinking a Fat Tire and thought I was drinking a Coors Light. The only thing for me that stood out was the lacing which was pretty heavy. When I took a sniff I got flat decarbonated smells to go with a taste that matches coors. It felt flat and it didn't have much flavor. This is a very popular beer but I'm glad other people like it. Not something I'd buy again.

BigB415, Feb 19, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear amber, under a finger of head. Didn't get much lacing.

S: Biscuits.

T: Toasted bread, biscuit, a little caramel. A bit watery with not much hop presence in finish. It's only the biscuit flavor that lingers afterward.

M and D: Smooth and drinkable. Medium carbonation.

I had tried this awhile back, didn't care for it, and came back to give it another chance. Overall, I didn't think it had much going on. Decent, but not something I'll return to.

TheMiser, Feb 16, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 12oz pub glass.

It's amber, not too red, but not too brown.

Head appears creamy, has a hoppiness scent. First sip is biting, very thirst quenching. Hops and roasted barley hit the palate. Let your pint warm up though. When it's fresh out of the fridge, there's a little bit of a bitterness that gets softer after a few minutes.

As for mouthfeel, it's a crisp feeling, with a creamyness that washes over the palate & tongue. The carbonation is perfect, it's not too little nor too much.

This is a pretty great beer in small quantities. I prefer tap(and can) over bottle.

KingPuuChuu, Feb 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10%

12 oz. bottle, poured into pilsner glass.

A: Nice Amber color, not entirely clear, but not quite cloudy. Off-white to tan head, but not much of it. Leaves a little lacing.

S: I sniffed, and detected something unexpected, something I couldn't immediately identify. Sniffed again. Yep, I knew that smell, but still couldn't place it. On a long, open mouth inhale, it hit me - strawberry jam on bisquits. OK, maybe nobody else got this impression, but once I pegged that aroma, it stuck in my head every time I lifted the glass (and I happen to love that smell - not the cheapo manufactured strawberry crap or the grocery store berries that are picked green - this is the smell of jam made from home-grown, fully ripe berries.) After I got past that first impression, I identified sweet malt, bisquit, ripe fruit and a little citrus.

T: Rewarding taste. Reinforced my strawberries on biscuits impression, but this is all beer, no fruit beverage here. Nice balance of hops to malt, but with a little lingering sweetness on the tongue.

M: Medium body, slight tingly sensation from the carbonation, fairly dry. Good back-of-the-mouth effect.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. I enjoyed this a lot, and will come back to it. I'd like to try it on tap. I could keep this in the fridge for enjoying with friends when I run short on home brew.

G2Brew, Feb 16, 2011