Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

The first time I had this beer I was underwhelmed. It was one of my first reviews. Now after a few years and close to a 1000 reviews under my belt. I felt it was time to revisit this beer. This time I got the beer in cans. Amber color with just the slightest bit of haze. One inch of solid head forms and has good retention before settling to a thin cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. Still not a fan of the aroma or flavor. But it has nice qualities. Definately on the malty side of the beer spectrum. Has a bready and slightly musty quality. Not much for hop aroma or flavor. It is a lighter beer with low ABV, so the body has enough heft and has a nice texture. Not ever going to be in my regular rotation, but it does drink nice and there is no problem downing a few in a sitting.

morimech, Jan 15, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

I've had this one so many times, in many different formats, and it always struck me as a serviceable beer for many occasions, and one readily available in many bars locally. My favorite experience with this one took place on Halloween, '03 or '04, trick-or-treating with 4 kids on a cold, nasty, snowy night, shivering on a doorstep in Littleton. The door opened, the lady smiled and offered us a beer. Fat Tire in the snow, freezing cold (us and the beer), I can't recall many beers better than that one.

emmasdad, Jan 14, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a New Belgium globe from a 12 oz bottle with best by date of 02-06-11.

A: Clear, bright orange color with a white head 1 finger high. Little lacing on the glass and a good amount of carbonation

S: Not a whole lot of aroma here -- I get some bready malts and pine hops smell.

T: Taste is not very complex, but is a nice balance of malts and hops. Overall character is slightly bitter.

M: Clean, with kind of a thin body. Moderately carbonated and a very slight bitter aftertaste.

D: Nothing too exciting here, but a good, easy to drink session beer.

sommersb, Jan 14, 2011

I had this beer for the first time last night at Crawfish Junction in Johnson Creek, WI. I really liked it. Nice amber color and good head in New Belgium's signature glass. Great tasting beer. I could definitely drink a few more of these in a night.

richkrull, Jan 13, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -22%

Got this to try something new. Have an uncle that likes this stuff, so, let's see. 12oz bottle. Best before 04/03/11...

A: BMC colored. A super clear golden honey with apparent carbonation bubbles and a small white head that fades quickly to a lace. Decent.

S: Smells of honey, spices, and faint nutmeg upfront. Not too much else on the nose.

T: Definitely better than a BMC, but in the same ballpark. I get some spices and metallic breadiness upfront with some nutmeg and cinnamon quickly following. Very watery on the backend.

M: Light body with a very well done carbonation feel. A clean and crisp finish.

D: Goes down very easy which is a testament to the 5.2% ABV and wateriness to the brew.

All in all, this is a great beer for a social gathering with BMC friends. They will definitely enjoy it. A good pounder at a party. For people, like the BA community, who look for more to their beer than a "pounder", then this is not for you. You might enjoy if you like session brews or if you're looking for a BMC conversion brew.

steve8robin, Jan 12, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass, this beer is a bright orange-amber color with a thick, foamy, dense white head. Coloring is a little pale in comparison to other Ambers. The beer has subtle hops aromas on the nose, blended with nut and earth. The taste is very rounded, with hints of chocolate, nut, and light hops on a roasted malt foundation. Very bold and smooth in mouth, with a pleasant aftertaste of light hops and a hint of sour. Smooth, clean finish. Very easy to drink.

GarthDanielson, Jan 10, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz bottle in pint glass
no date, but in fridge for a couple months

A: Medium gold color, crystal clear with a thin white head that leaves some lace.
S: A little bready sweetness along with a hint of yeast fruitiness. Relatively muted nose.
T: White bread and crackers, a little bit of graininess. No sign of hops other than a lack of sweetness/slight bitterness in the background.
M: Crisp, slightly dry, medium level of carbonation.
D: This is a perfectly good beer for what it is, i.e. a simple everyday drinker. I have never understood the "love" for this beer, it is good, but not great. Very easy to drink, a good father in law beer. It would probably taste great on a hot day. Thanks to whoever left one in my fridge.

wspscott, Jan 09, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

I first heard of this beer from a friend. Apparently it wasn't availabe in Georgia until recently (2009). It happened to be the "beer of the month" at the bar my wife works at so I got a pint on tap. I got a free Fat Tire glass too!

A - It arrived to me with one finger of white head that quickly dissipated. It was a translucent amber that wasn't completely clear. Had decent lacing on the glass.

S - Not much smell to it at all. I was struggling to pick out what I did which was some hops and citrus notes

T - I could taste malts though not the roasted kind, I did detect some "earthiness". There was some sweetness from the wheat and it finished with a hop bitterness.

M - Light body and very smooth. The finish was fairly dry from the hops.

D - Insane drinkability. The taste is pretty good and the smoothness will keep you coming back for more.

Guitarctica, Jan 08, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Again I have to credit good friend, colleague and fellow beer enthusiast Rafael Bernal for this fantastic gift. I held back from trying it for a few days- my plan was new year's but then i fell asleep- so I popped it today as an ode to my (oh so happy) 1 week vacation.

I like this beer from all perspectives. The pour looks good, a cristal orange hue with a fantastic, tall white head and tonnes of lacing. some fizz within, not too much though.

While the smell doesn't fill the room or is abundant in any way, it is indeed its most complex and intriguing attribute. it morphs somewhat and makes you have to process it for a while. At first it was a dominant cumin like feel, very spicy. maybe even a pure cacao (the non-sweet, 100% pure type). Then again, you go smell it again and it feels like some caramel, some fruitier notes. indeed, complex.

The taste is also very good. It is soft, much unlike what i expected for the beer, but it holds all things good about american beer- a caramel-hop duo, very soft and refreshing, blending and complementing a complex smell. it is very light but by all means tasty. and in spite of a low abv, it has a perceibable boozy undertone that is only complimentary to the whole deal.

Indeed very drinkable, very enjoyable year round. can't wait to get my hands on more New Belgium.

Andreji, Jan 08, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

This is my first sampling from this brewery and looking forward to it and on pouring im quite suprised at how light looking it is for an Amber/red ale its a very light golden bronze hue with average carbonation that leaves behind a one finger head that recedes to just a big rim of lacing,the aromas are maple syrup firstly followed by a background of honey coated caramel,the mouthfeel is only average and is definately light bodied with nice carbonation on mouthfeel and the first taste i get is toasty roasted malts nicely balanced by a dash of citrus and mango mid taste and rounded out with a tinge of sticky maple syrup and followed by a sour boiled candy bittersweetness,and overall for my first sample from this brewery i was definately hoping for more and there are alot better American AA/RA's here in Perth to try before this one,but as they say dont knock it till you try it.

ADZA, Jan 08, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

This pours a crystal clear, slightly light amber color. The fluffy head is just short of being white and didn't stick around too long. Aroma is quite pleasant presenting as a combination of caramel, nuttiness, biscuit, and a grassy funk. The taste is pretty bready right off the bat. There's some toasty malts and then the grassy funk apparent in the smell appears. Finish is a bit on the grainy side. It doesn't look like it in the glass, but explodes with carbonation once it hits your mouth. I do like the feel of this. I had this a long time ago, in my pre-BA years, and seem to recall being more enthusiastic. Still, it's a good tasting beer that would appeal to a large audience.

alkemy, Jan 07, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

My parents brought me this six pack back from a trip down south, I have never had anything from New Belgium before so lets give it a go. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- This beer poured a nice light amber color with three fingers worth of thick white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed the rest of the time, there is also some nice lacing.

S- Typical amber aroma with the caramel malts sticking out the most with some grassy hops at the end.

T- Pretty similar to the smell but more bready and biscuity. There's a good balance of earthy hops on the finish that helps level out the tons of breadyness that comes from the malts.

M- Medium bodied and good carbonation.

D- This beer makes a good session amber. The combination of low alcohol and good flavors make this beer pretty drinkable. Three or four of these would hit the spot.

Overall I thought this was a nice amber ale and I am glad I tried it. Too bad I have never seen this at any of the local stores. This beer was a good first impression for New Belgium, I look forward to trying more of their brews.

Edit- I had a couple of really fresh bottles that were just a little better so I adjusted the score and gave the aroma a 4 instead of 3.5, this is a good an unique beer that I always try and get when out of state.

StoutHunter, Jan 07, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

This is pretty much my go-to beer when on-tap at a bar, since it's better quality beer than BMC.

Appearance - I like the darkish amber color of this beer. In my experience when drinking this on tap it always has a very good head retention and decent lacing as well. In a bottle the head retention is significantly diminished.

Smell - Your average beer smell in my opinion. Guess I could compliment that there is nothing off-putting about the smell.

Taste - Pretty wheaty taste really. Like I'm munching on hay. Not that this is necessarily bad. The favor is just really consistent and nothing really shines.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good body, a little dry, and decent carbonation.

Drinkabilty - Very drinkable from the tap I'd say. I drink a couple pints on occasion.

sizzlemc, Jan 05, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Pours a one fingered white(!) head atop a golden bier with very fine sediment. Nice lacing and average head retention.

S- Similar to a macro but with caramel malts. Biscuits.

T- Follows the smell. Bready.

M- Mouthfeel is a tad on the watery side.

D/O- Drinkability is out of this world. Goes down like a common BMC, only with some (decent) flavor to back it up. Not much to it, a perfect "gateway" craft beer. It's no wonder this is the beer snob's (hah) go-to beer.

Duff27, Jan 05, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Ever-growing in popularity, Fat Tire is becomeing one of America's better microbrews for a reason. This beer has a beautiful deep amber coloring, a malty aroma of light citrusy fruit, a nice frothy head, and a very smooth pour into a glass. This is a smooth drinkable beer. I would recommend if you have not tried it.

ronniebruner, Jan 04, 2011

I first sampled this while on vacation in the Mountain West. I was quite impressed by it at that time. I would be another ten years before I got another chance to try Fat Tire. I suppose that during that period, my tastes have changed such that this is now just an ok/good beer. When I taste it now I get too much of a wheat taste - as if I just munched some straw from a field.

Still good, but not something I will seek out.

TheOtherMike, Dec 31, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -38.7%

Appearance- Pours a clear amber with a bubbly white head, decent retention, a little lacing.

Smell- Bready malts. Sweaty socks, not very appealing.

Taste- Bready and biscuit malts. A bit earthy and hint of fruit. The doughy malt flavors pretty much over ride everything else. Simple and plain.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation. The best part of the beer.

Overall- I really don't understand the fascination with this beer, it is ok and plain at best. The breadyness of this gets very tiring, quickly. Meh, not for me.

JLeege, Dec 28, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

a good brownish color....with little to no head....and nice lacing....

smells of biscuit malt!....a nutty smell....kinda get some hops in the nose....

taste is a nice bitter...although a little watered down taste...nutty flavor...

dry feel....i would like it to be a little less dry...for the style....

i could drink these all day....low alcohol good taste...but not over powering

nickthegun12, Dec 28, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

I was surprised to find that I hadn't reviewed this before.

The beer pours an amber color with a white head. The aroma is toffee with some bready malt. The flavor is toffee, bread and some grassy notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very easy beer to drink, but there is not much going on aroma or flavor wise.

Mora2000, Dec 27, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance-Deep gold to light amber, brilliantly clear, huge frothy white head with fairly good retention and some nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma-Biscuity, toasty, bready malt aromas up front. Light floral and slightly citrusy hops. Very light, fruity esters, and just a hint of tartness (almost cherry-like). No flaws, but not overwhelming.

Flavor-Toasty and biscuity malt. Moderately low floral hop flavors, and low hop bitterness. Similar to the aroma, there is some light, tart fruit flavors (like cherries or pears) and some light funk. Certainly not bad, but not something I'm dying to drink.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, medium carbonation. Smooth, but lingers on the tongue and sides of mouth in a somwhat strange way.

Not exceptional, but definitely easy to drink. While I'm not dying to drink more, if this was the best thing on hand for the night I could definitely take down a few.

plfahey, Dec 26, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

As far as an amber goes this beer is truely exceptional. Being from Michigan I am not afforded the same priveledge of tasting this beer on tap, rather I visit family in Chicago and buy the beer in bottles. Yet, the beer itself is quite remarkable. The hoppy flavor that it claims to have is recognizable yet subtle enough to keep from detracting from the flavors that it boasts. It is far less malty than some abmbers I have tried but I feel that helps more than hurts the brew. Fat tire still retains a bright robust flavor and is apparent in both the front and the back of the beer. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is looking for an amber beer with remarkable flavor.

antwan3421, Dec 24, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice simple unique bottle.

A: Good clear amber color. Minimal head. Dissipates quickly.

S: Light smell of roasted malts.

T: Light malts, biscuits, grains. Light bitterness at the end.

M: Nice light body and good carbonation.

D: Good and light.

It borders on almost tasting watered down. I fully appreciate a beer with a light taste but it can sometimes be too light. I think this beer falls on the good side of that line but it's close. Regardless, a nice light drink.

mpcrump, Dec 24, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

Reviewed: 06/27/10
Poured from bottle to Standard pint glass.

A: the color of ambered tree sap. absolut clarity. Partial ribbons.

S: Good balanced maltiness with touch of citrusy hopping.

T: Lots of caramel malt on this one. otherwise, nada.

M: medium carbonation accents light body (for an amber).

D: Would not suggest as an amber.

harrymel, Dec 20, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -15%

Perhaps it is the name, but this beer always seems the most recognized New Belgium beer - which is a shame because they make other much better beers. High level of caramel malt, almost chocolate without the normal degree of roasting. A bit bland in the middle, with nondescript hopping at the end. More akin to a mild brown ale in flavor than anything.

Brent, Dec 19, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer always gets mixed reviews. Out on the east coast it's very cult-y and people seem to swarm to places where it's available. I guess that's what limited distribution can do for a brand.

Anyhow, while in Colorado (where this is on tap at seemingly every bar) I knocked back a few Fat Tires. Overall, I think it's an interesting beer. It has a very bready and biscuity aroma and flavor. Some definite caramel malt sweetness and minimal hop flavor or aroma.

It's a unique and different flavor from many other amber ales out there. I'm not sure if it is the malt makeup or the yeast strain, but there is something unique here. Definitely worth trying, although not an everyday drinker for me.

dlmccabe1, Dec 18, 2010