Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
MurphyMacManus

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

longneck into big pint glass

A: light amber with a massive, rocky white head. Admittedly, I did pour a little hard, but that's still a lot of foam. And it sticks around too.

S: bready/slightly toasty malt. I'm getting vague notes of citrus rind -- which I assume to be the hops. Spicy note too. Not sure what that is.

T: bottle describes malt flavor as biscuity, and I tend to agree. Very mild hop presence, just enough to balance, but the malt is what really comes through.

M: beer? It's wet, it's carbonated, it doesn't drink like a milkshake and I didn't expect it to. End of story.

D: Balance between hop and malt flavor and lower alcohol content make this ideal as a session beer.

12-02-2009 06:46:40 | More by MurphyMacManus
jmaur345

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I kept seeing this beer around and a few a my friends told me it was a quality brew so when I found a six pack for sale I had to pick it up.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my trusty Chimay goblet, very pretty bottle design with a blurb about the beer on the back.

A- Coppery red color, well developed head that fades to a good sized ring that lasts throughout, excellent lacing when poured hard.

S- Very floral hop aroma, almost rosy.

T- Well balanced between the malt sweetness and the hops, it has kind of a bready taste to it. I was a little bummed out by the taste after the amazing smell, but it's still good, I just expected more.

M- Overall, pretty clean, slight lingering taste from the hops.

D- Good, not stellar, but good. I finished the six pack and would consider buying it again it it was on tap.

12-02-2009 01:19:05 | More by jmaur345
JalfPsu

4.85/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium goblet. As a PA resident, this smuggled beer was my first foray into New Belgium beers, and it was a wonderful experience.

The first thing I noticed was the color. Calling this beer "amber" doesn't do it justice. It's a rich gold, with pleasing effervescence, and a thin, creamy had that left intricate lacing along the inside of the goblet as it receded.

The smell is not overly assertive, and it's dominated by an inviting, bready aroma, with a strong undercurrent of sweet malts. Overall, the aromas are extremely pleasant, and mesh well with the flavors of the beer.

The taste did not disappoint. The bready yeast flavors and rich maltiness are certainly there, and it's moderately sweet, but never cloying. This is a very well balanced beer, with no one flavor overwhelming the palate. There's also a very subtle hop character, but it only comes through in the aftertaste, adding another note of complexity to this brew.

The body is light and crisp, with a relatively high degree of carbonation, almost cleansing the palate between sips, leading to a beer that is continually pleasant and refreshing.

This beer was heavily hyped for me, but it certainly lived up to it! If Fat Tire was available in Pennsylvania, I would probably drink it every day.

12-01-2009 04:40:12 | More by JalfPsu
BrandonWardlaw

3.95/5  rDev +10%

This was one of the first beers I ever tried, and it has remained a favorite for me.

A: Golden amber, with a 1.5 finger head that dissipates to a thin layer. Moderate lacing.

S: Caramel, hops, biscuits and a hint of malt.

T: Very biscuity. Starts with a malty-caramel flavor, finishing with biscuits and hops.

M: Nothing outrageous. Light and somewhat carbonated.

D: High. These are easy to throw quite a few of back over the course of a night.

11-30-2009 16:04:15 | More by BrandonWardlaw
BarrelO

3.23/5  rDev -10%

On tap at Pour 24. Served in a pilsner glass.

A: Light brown body. Tiny head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Biscuits and noble hops.

T: Insanely biscuity. Also a fair amount of clean bitterness.

M: Light-bodied with decent carbonation.

D: A fine session beer. Not too challenging.

11-26-2009 22:13:44 | More by BarrelO
Arnie2709

North Dakota

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

pours a true amber color. 1 inch of offwhite head that dissipates quickly.
Smell is biscuity and malty. sweet
Taste is slight bitterness melded around a complex bread and caramel malt profile.
Mouthfeel is medium and lingers slightly afterward. reasonably clean finish but leaves you ready for another mouthful.

11-23-2009 18:31:41 | More by Arnie2709
Josievan

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Standard amber hue, perfectly expected for the style. Decent head sticks around for a spell, then gives way to a generous ring of lacing.

Smell: Malt and hops duking it out, but at a distance.

Taste: Toasty and quite malty, though I'm tasting the hops in this beer more than I ever have before. In the end, balance is the key characteristic.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with decent carbonation.

Drinkability: Easily sessioned, as I have done many a time.

Notes: Fat Tire was a gateway into the craft beer world for me. As such, it will always have a warm spot in my heart. Upon revisiting it after a long absence, I find it once again to be more than a decent brew. I'd say the draft version is superior to bottle, although you can't go wrong either way.

11-18-2009 05:30:23 | More by Josievan
devilben02

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

I had tried Fat Tire a number of years ago on a trip to Texas and I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was anything remarkable. Once it started being distributed in NC, it seemed to be hyped as the next great craft beer, and many restaurants were advertising that they carried this special new beer. Not buying the hype, it took my a while to try it again around here. From this tasting, I continue to believe that this is a solid, enjoyable, everyday session beer, but I still don't believe that Fat Tire is terrifically special.

A vigorous pour creates a big, billowy head on top of a light orange-amber colored ale. The aroma is crisp and a bit sweet but is not too complex. The flavor is also skewed toward the sweet side, with the caramel taste of the malts being a dominant part of the flavor. This sweetness is balanced, however, with a bit of lemon hop astringency. Medium bodied, but still quite crisp and refreshing, making this an enjoyable and easy-drinking amber.

11-15-2009 23:30:40 | More by devilben02
Jishguy

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Everyone drinks this where I'm from. It's possibly the most popular beer in the area. Figured I'd give it a whirl.

A- Lighter amber color with a two finger head. Nice retention

S- Subtle notes of caramel and dark chocolate. Mostly malty.

T- At first sip, the taste is identical to the smell. Biscuty malt with dark chocolate. Aftertaste is where the hops and subtle citrus come in.

M- Wonderful, arguably the best attribute of this beer.

D- Not as good as I would have hoped. A tad bit high on the carbonation.

Overall, I'd recommend this to just about anyone. Not quite as malty as a porter or stout, but not quite as hoppy as an IPA or something equivalent.

11-13-2009 07:05:30 | More by Jishguy
ProudGreen89

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A-a nice deep golden amber with a thick foamy head that fades to a decent thick cap and leaves neat little rings as it dissappears.

S-pretty medicore, sweet malts, biscuity, piney hops in the background.

T-Malts up front with a nice biscuity flavor and a mildly bitter hop finish.

M-eh, nothing special. Its light bodied, a little dry but still refreshing. It didnt offer anything exciting or new but it didnt offend either.

D-An easy session beer, its light, doesnt fill you up like other american ambers. I didnt really feel this ale offered any complexity, but perhaps a good beer for a new drinker whos looking to get into craft beers.

Overall a tasty beer, nice and refreshing but still has a nice richness to it, enough so that i may get this beer again.

11-12-2009 05:59:53 | More by ProudGreen89
superdedooperboy

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pub glass. Freshness date of August 28, 2009 puts this one a little past its prime.

Pours a clear amber hue with a fat head of off-white foam that fades slowly to a thick cap, leaving behind a nice display of thick rings as it disappears.

Aroma consists of some bready, biscuity malt notes and some underlying earthy, herbaceous hop notes.

The palate mimics the aroma in most aspects: Up front is a very mildly sweet, bready malt character, moving into a bitty, grainy persona toward the middle as it melds with mildly bitter herbal/earthy hops reminiscent of fresh earth, carrying on into a finish that is a nice melding of the characteristics: a bit malty-sweet, a bit earthy, and quite dry.

Nothing spectacular here. An easy quaffer and perhaps a bit of a nice craft intro for the macro drinker; nothing complex, nothing inoffensive. A nice looker, and a bit of an easy session ale.

11-10-2009 05:38:04 | More by superdedooperboy
homebrew311

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pours a brilliant bright golden with a orange hue, pillowy white head forms and sticks around

S: Not a whole lot going on, faint notes of biscuit malts, breadiness, everything is very subtle

T: very mild flavor, after taste is biscuit malts, but like the nose, everything is very subtle and mellow. This makes for an easy drinker and certainly doesn't taste bad, but there just isn't a whole lot going on.

MF: light body, carbonation seems appropriate for style

D: This beer excels in the drinkability category. It is light and refreshing and a good option for a hot summer day. I wish the flavors were a little more pronounced, but of course that may take away from this beers appeal.

11-09-2009 05:02:17 | More by homebrew311
dpnelson1978

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

22 oz. bomber into glass pint.

$3.99 / ea.

S: Corn, bread, and a wonderful floral hop aroma. Not great, but pretty darn good for a borderline macrobrew.

A: Bright amber body with a big rocky head that leaves generous lacing.

T: Way better than a Bud! Bready, with subtle hops. Simple, but good.

M: Light to medium body, with light to medium carbonation. Very smooth, and finishes dry.

D: Great session beer. Good taste, good price, and your friends won't think you are a snob!

O: Good beer and widely available. For the money you can't ask for much more.

11-03-2009 03:23:38 | More by dpnelson1978
Stinkypuss

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with etched "New Belgium" around the neck. Pours clear and orange in hue with a small bubbly head that leaves some lacing down the pint glass.

Aroma of very bready malt and a hint of clean grains.

A well balanced brew. Leafy hop bitters greet the palate with a lemon rind notion. Caramel malt is there with some pleasant nutty flavors. I must say I am really enjoying this beer. Pleasant flavors that work well together.

Smooth and crisp. It cannot be said any better.

As drinkable as the working day is long. A solid stand by beer that I wish was distributed in this area. Awesome session beer, unfortunately my session was limited to one.

11-03-2009 02:47:35 | More by Stinkypuss
jsh420

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

pours clear amber with no head

smell - not much here - carmel malts was about all i could pick out - i think the bar had the kegs too cold

taste was better then the smell - slightly toasted malts and sweet carmel malts along with what i think was an afterthought tiny bit of hops

mouthfeel was not good - the beer was flat

drinkability is ok - its a beer most non craft bars have

11-02-2009 23:21:24 | More by jsh420
TexIndy

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Finally getting around to reviewing this one. First had it back in 1997 and helped start my craft beer journey. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best before 12/25/09 on front label. Was a clear amber color with good carbonation and some lacing. It had an average sized beige head that settled into a foam and collar.

The aroma was biscuity and toasted malt with some floral hops but this is mainly a malt show. Never really enjoyed the aroma on this one and can't really pin it down. There is something in the aroma and taste that I find odd but not sure what. The taste follows the aroma and is biscuity with an odd aftertaste. Ambers are a middle of the road style for me but even then I usually don't find this aftertaste in the others. Mouthfeel is medium and crisp with good carb levels.

Overall, this is a good beer that I want to enjoy since it's from one of my favorite breweries and is readily available on tap but that odd aftertaste keeps it from being a big player. Even so, I get it on tap quite often as it's best choice. Recommend. Rotation: avail here bottle and tap. Won't be a bottle purchase but will do on-tap if best choice.

11-02-2009 23:03:30 | More by TexIndy
rhollman

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Appearance - Amber

Smell - Malty aroma

Taste - Malty with toasted semi-dry flavor

Mouth Feel - Crisp, light, enjoyable

Drinkability - Toasted malt flavor with very little hop bite. Extremely enjoyable beer where the focus is away from hop bitterness - put your feet up and enjoy!

10-29-2009 00:54:47 | More by rhollman
Kpowers

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.
A. Thick amber color that has a nice two finger head Nice lacing throughout the entire pint oozing down the side of the glass. The sticky malt presence is very noticeable along the side of the glass
S. Very bread malt presence.
T - Very mild with toasted grains, and caramel. Very clean, dry, and slightly malty finish. Very little aftertaste.
M - Toasted malt and brown sugar very little carbonation.
D: Drinkable session beer

10-28-2009 00:50:05 | More by Kpowers
Bajasith

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

From bottle straight to glass. Before we get into our review, presentation was not very appealing as logo and label kinda gave me second thoughts in buying six pack... anyways...

Appearance: Very appealing as it poured medium amber color with thin head dissipating rather fast...

Smell/Taste: As I stuck my nose to get the full aroma of brew as head formed, a slight resemblance of fresh seven grain wheat bread came to mind. Grainy tones in the beginning with mild hops and a hint of caramel at the end...

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Carefully balanced flavors from beginning, to end give it a great complement to my palate. As if I were eating fresh wheat bread. A great session beer to be enjoyed with some buddies during a football game and some of my favorite pizza...

10-22-2009 05:05:53 | More by Bajasith
taigor

I had this both on tap and from 12oz. bottle and I do have to admit that bottled one was slightly better.

A - Nice amber color with a thick head that quickly dissipates.

S - Very malty with a very light hop presence.

T - Very mild with fresh toasty grains, hint of caramel and fruits.

M - Nicely carbonated, medium bodied with a nice finish.

D - Very good with all flavors balancing well.

10-21-2009 17:22:32 | More by taigor
Mavajo

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap.

Amber color, one finger thick head. Not much reetntion and no lacing.

Nose is biscuity with roasted malts. Taste is plesant and enjoyable - very biscuity, roasted malts, caramel. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Quite drinkable.

Oddly enough, I think I enjoyed this beer more out of the bottle than I did on tap.

10-21-2009 12:07:50 | More by Mavajo
Richardberg

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

A - served on tap in a pint glass. Translucent brown-red, no head by the time it was served to me, but decent lacing.

S - caramel malts, a bit of floral hops

t - crisp toasty malts, slightly bitter. Quintessential amber ale flavor, well made, nothing fancy.

M - light body, some fizz

d - very drinkable, nice newb friendly intro to the style

10-18-2009 00:03:35 | More by Richardberg
JerzDevl2000

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Finally...I got a chance to buy the "Yuengling of the West" as I've always called this when I was on the road this past summer. I had it on tap once but I collect the sleeves of the six-packs that I drink and sure enough, this was one my "to get" list. While this isn't going to win any awards, it was one of the last beers I had this summer and yes, I still miss it now here in Jersey!

Nice pour to this - a "bright brown" hue to it with a decent amount of head and some lacing lingering after each sip. The taste was pretty light on the mouthfeel but not light in taste. It was pretty balanced, a slight floral taste with some roasted notes behind it. This went down pretty easily and I don't recall having these in my car for very long as I traveled. If you're looking for a hoppy American Amber, keep searching. This doesn't much of a bitter taste to it, but it doesn't detract from the beer at all.

Sure, this is above 5.00% ABV but if you're looking for a good session beer, this is it! I'll take this over a "Lager", as it's Eastern Counterpart is known in the Keystone State, but not with any type of food. Rather, it's a good beer for unwinding with at the end of the day or for a party where there aren't a lot of die-hard craft beer enthusiasts there. In other words, if I was getting into microbrews, this would be one of the beers I'd start out with. It's that easygoing and yes, I do miss it!

10-17-2009 07:16:04 | More by JerzDevl2000
Mosstrooper

Had on-tap at Buffalo Wild Wings on 290 and Spring Cypress, Houston, TX

Served in a 23oz pilsner glass.

Appearance: Light amber color with a medium white head that leaves quickly, leaving a thick foam floating and around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet, buttery malt with floral hops.

Taste: Starts off sweet and slightly toasty, finishing with a stronger buttered toast flavor and herbal hop notes. Slight hints of apples in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with balanced carbonation and a crisp, slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Solid all-round, flavorful, sessionable, and overall damn drinkable.

10-16-2009 05:15:11 | More by Mosstrooper
RobeyStreet

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Well, I finally got around to trying Fat Tire. I think I may have tried it a few years ago and was not impressed and thus never had it again. However, last weekend someone ordered me one so I was reintroduced to it.

For me, it was just average. It has a very roasted nutty flavor and it sits heavy in the stomach. Nice maybe with a meal or just by itself, but not if you're out drinking and plan on having more than one. I just don't know what all the fuss is about because I know a lot of people who quite like Fat Tire, but perhaps it's just not for me. Not much "wow" factor... I didn't find anything particularly unique or memorable about this brew.

10-14-2009 21:19:38 | More by RobeyStreet