Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this before in a bottle. This time, I'm getting it in the can thanks to CurtisMcArthur. Thanks for the trade and the chance to try this beer!

12 oz can with a best before date of May 2011 stamped on the bottom. Poured into an Irish pint glass.

Look: clear amber body. A very aggressive pour yields about a finger of off white head with decent retention and a little bit of lacing.

Smell: toasted, biscuity malt with some earthy hop aromas. Compared to the bottle I had, not as strong and a bit more centered on the toasted malt than I remember it being.

Taste: follows the nose with toasted malt being in the forefront and a slight taste of earthy hoppiness. There's not a whole lot going on here except the toasted malt, which is a bit too forward for me.

Feel: thin body, crisply carbonated, and a little sweet.

Drink: quite an easy drinking beer. Since there's not much flavor, you don't have to worry about getting a fatigued palate.

Overall, the can isn't as good as the bottle. There seems to be something different about it... the toasted malt flavor is a bit too forward and its a bit too one noted for me. Stick to the bottle is my advice. I don't know if my experience is common but if it is... New Belgium, clean up your canning operation! Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Mar 05, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

After hearing so much about this beer from my friend, I decided to try it. Decent head on the pour into a pint glass, nice golden color. Taste-wise, nothing stood out to me in particular. That's not to say it was a bad beer - on the contrary I found it quite enjoyable. It was just a well made, simple, no frills ale. Seems like it would make a good session beer, as well as a good stepping stone for those looking to expand into craft beers.

livewire05, Mar 02, 2011

Had this at Yellowstone National Park

A- fine normal amber color. nothing out of the ordinary here people

S- malt and sweet fruit but very light on both in my opinion.

t- i like this taste. malty with a normal clean aftertaste. not unlike many Bigger corporations. but this seems a bit more on the taste scale.

M- normal. not chewy but a bit thinker than most ambers i would say

overall i like this beer. It has been a "gateway" to craft for many of my friends. While its not far off from other ambers, i think this is a very approachable beer to say the least. ohh and old faithful is nice.

dizknee24, Mar 02, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Not much of a head on the beer. A light amber color with a very malty aroma. Very mellow taste, with very light hop undertones. A decent beer with citrus flavors and smooth going down. Not a great session beer because the malts can fill you up after a few.

Glibber, Feb 28, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice amber read, as advertised.

Less than an inch of head, non-persistent lacing.

Aroma was only decent - I'm still amateur at this with regard to my beer palette but it felt it could've used more hops.

Overall an enjoyable ale but not something I would seek out.

Jameskorte, Feb 27, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is amber colored and clear. I got about an inch of off white head.

S - Toasted caramel malt

T - I get buttery toffee along with some caramel malt.

M - Thin

D - This is a decent beer. It's pretty good for the style.

buschbeer, Feb 27, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Ah, Fat Tire. I remember having a taste of this in my college days and absolutely hating it. Now I laugh at how little i know about beer. Freshness dated 13JUN'11

Pours a light clear amber with a small head and non-persistant lace. Little bubbles coming up from the bottom.

Smells slightly hoppy, slightly like a crushed up graham cracker.

Tastes... hm. Well, you know those Bit-O-Honey candies? Tastes like one of those, to me. Slight hop edge and caramel/honey malts. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is nice, mildly thick but still crisp.

Drinkability? Hell, this beer goes down like any beer should. Great in the bottle, even better on tap. What can i say? Its a nice ale.

BaronRogue, Feb 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer is my go to. It has a great taste and is easy to get anywhere for the reasonable price. I have had this on draught as well and its even better. If you are an ale fan this is one to try or retry. I would like to try and make my own personal brew similar to this one. I would not mind if they changed the flavor to make it just a bit more hoppy.

wrcraigl, Feb 25, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Love NB Labels they r very artistic!!!

Appearance - Pours a fairly clear golden-amber color with about 1/2 finger white heard. The head dissapated rather quickly to a think ring. Left little to now lacing on the glass.

Smell - I gathered a toasty sweet maltiness right off the bat. Subtle hoppy undertones as well.

Taste - Tasted very similar to the smell with sweet toasty malt taste up front with a nice hoppy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel - A medium bodied offering with a good amount of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.
Drinkability - A nice smooth beer that is very easy to drink. The carbonation gives it a heavier feel than it actually is.

I have had the opportunity to try this beer on mutiple occasions and have yet to be dissapointed. I highly recommend!!!

thegodfather1076, Feb 24, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -10%

A - Into a pint glass...pours a deep golden color with an off-white head. Decent lace.

S - Other than some biscuity malts....not much more.

T - Mostly malt with some slight bitterness. Started out more promising than it ended. I was hoping for more but it stopped at pretty one-dimensional.

M - Medium body....smooth drinker.

D - Quite drinkable. Not complex but refreshing and clean. Would not seek this out but would never refuse it.

Brunite, Feb 24, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

A- Pours orange, somewhat close to copper colored. Two finger head. Retention is decent. Lacing is below average.
S- Sweet malt, a bit toasted, some biscuity notes.
T- Same here. Toasted malt, pretty sweet throughout, just enough hop bitterness. Decent, but kind of lacks anything better then a "meh."
M- I found it a bit thin and undercarbed.
O- A cult classic that, though decent, does not live up to the hype. That being said, it's an easy drinking and refreshing beer.

jsprain1, Feb 21, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a moderate copper color without haze. Average-sized white head that leaves behind a bit of lacing and has pretty good retention. The nose is a bit malty with some bread crust, slight caramel, and a touch of hops. The flavor is pretty basic and plain, though it is certainly inoffensive and I can see why so many flock to this beer. There is a bit of toast plus caramel and a very mild earthy presence. Light to medium body with a slight bitterness in the finish. Drinks well enough, though I'd prefer Bell's Amber and often suggest that as an alternative to others.

Thorpe429, Feb 19, 2011

Sometimes I forgot I was drinking a Fat Tire and thought I was drinking a Coors Light. The only thing for me that stood out was the lacing which was pretty heavy. When I took a sniff I got flat decarbonated smells to go with a taste that matches coors. It felt flat and it didn't have much flavor. This is a very popular beer but I'm glad other people like it. Not something I'd buy again.

BigB415, Feb 19, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear amber, under a finger of head. Didn't get much lacing.

S: Biscuits.

T: Toasted bread, biscuit, a little caramel. A bit watery with not much hop presence in finish. It's only the biscuit flavor that lingers afterward.

M and D: Smooth and drinkable. Medium carbonation.

I had tried this awhile back, didn't care for it, and came back to give it another chance. Overall, I didn't think it had much going on. Decent, but not something I'll return to.

TheMiser, Feb 16, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 12oz pub glass.

It's amber, not too red, but not too brown.

Head appears creamy, has a hoppiness scent. First sip is biting, very thirst quenching. Hops and roasted barley hit the palate. Let your pint warm up though. When it's fresh out of the fridge, there's a little bit of a bitterness that gets softer after a few minutes.

As for mouthfeel, it's a crisp feeling, with a creamyness that washes over the palate & tongue. The carbonation is perfect, it's not too little nor too much.

This is a pretty great beer in small quantities. I prefer tap(and can) over bottle.

KingPuuChuu, Feb 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10%

12 oz. bottle, poured into pilsner glass.

A: Nice Amber color, not entirely clear, but not quite cloudy. Off-white to tan head, but not much of it. Leaves a little lacing.

S: I sniffed, and detected something unexpected, something I couldn't immediately identify. Sniffed again. Yep, I knew that smell, but still couldn't place it. On a long, open mouth inhale, it hit me - strawberry jam on bisquits. OK, maybe nobody else got this impression, but once I pegged that aroma, it stuck in my head every time I lifted the glass (and I happen to love that smell - not the cheapo manufactured strawberry crap or the grocery store berries that are picked green - this is the smell of jam made from home-grown, fully ripe berries.) After I got past that first impression, I identified sweet malt, bisquit, ripe fruit and a little citrus.

T: Rewarding taste. Reinforced my strawberries on biscuits impression, but this is all beer, no fruit beverage here. Nice balance of hops to malt, but with a little lingering sweetness on the tongue.

M: Medium body, slight tingly sensation from the carbonation, fairly dry. Good back-of-the-mouth effect.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. I enjoyed this a lot, and will come back to it. I'd like to try it on tap. I could keep this in the fridge for enjoying with friends when I run short on home brew.

G2Brew, Feb 16, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz bottle poured into Ommegang chalice

A - brilliant amber, nice frothy head that subsides a tad but leaves great lacing

S - my malt smells like biscuits! grab 'em!

T - tastes like 'em too! mild and toasted bread

M - little bit dry with medium carbonation

D - could be a great party beer -- it's got flavor, but it's not so overpowering that you couldn't knock back several; very smooth; worthy of the hype -- not the best beer, but it is an awesomely excellent beer

vapodge, Feb 13, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer pours a dark golden color, with small a small head. There is a bit of a sweet smell to it. The taste is a bit of the lighter side, almost watery, a bit sweet, and has a bit of an alchool taste too. Could use some more carbonation, and a stronger taste would be appricated. Overall it was a decent beer, wouldnt mind having it again, but there are much better red ales out there.

vette2006c5r, Feb 13, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from an oddly shaped 12oz brown bottle into a pint.

Pours a dull copper with a slightly tanned head. Head is light, frothy, recedes quickly but never disappears entirely. Nose is biscuity malt, which this seems to be renowned for, with an earthy quality to it. Taste is again (pleasantly) murky biscuit malt with a very, very, faint fruity quality. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, not really a major infraction. This is something of a icon here in Colorado; therefore, at any major event here there's a good chance this will be available to save you from the usual macros you'd be forced to endure. While there may be better local brews this has served me well at more than a few concerts and sporting events, so drinkability is a definite high note.

alli4051, Feb 12, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Same as many other American red's. Nice golden color with a thin head. Not a lot of lacing but decent.

S: Very nice and malty. A strange mix of hop and malt make for a tempting smell.

T: Very good since I'm not an amber ale fan. Nice and malty, but with enough bitterness and character to keep me satisfied. Some bread notes also present.

For an amber it is amazing. It has a great smell and flavor. Usually most American ambers are too sweet and malty with no hop backbone for me. Fat Tire steps up and adds a slight twist to it all with a not necessary bitter flavor but very balanced one. VERY drinkable!! Great beer New Belgium Brewing!!!

midwestbrewers, Feb 08, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Review #400. Usually drunk out of a 12oz bottle or on tap in available bars throughout the country. One of my first craft beers back in my college years. From notes -- Appearanace: Russet amber that glimmers in the glass. Lots of bubbles that rise to a thin off-white head. Aroma: Toast and homemade popcorn. Taste: Toasty, malty, firm biscuit presence leads into a mild warm hop statement, and finishes with a bitter snap. Lovely! Palate: Goes down smooth, jovially, agreeably, and maltily. Overall: A great, well-balanced brew with a malt-foot forward. Easy, extroverted, not too complex but not at all boring! It's categorized as an "American Amber/Red Ale" but to me it has shades of a good ESB (with less bitterness).

CuriousMonk, Feb 07, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

A very drinkable beer. So far my favorite American Red Ale. The color is amazing and i will someday make it a color on my walls. I visited the brewery in November of 2010. New Belgium Brewery really cares about the beer and it is a happy employee owned company. Very fun.

FollowedMyFolly, Feb 06, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a light amber to off copper color with little to no head. brilliantly clear

I love the aroma on this beer and always have. Fresh biscuits and toasted cracker with minimal earthy back tones

Flavor is crisp and malty. Starts with a subtle fruity notes then rolls into an intensely buscuit flavor and finishes with a nice dry bitterness and easy and light apricot/pear.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin and light. Good for the style

I could drink this thing non stop, love this beer and its simplicity. Yum..

LukeD23, Feb 06, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Served a clear ambor color with a small head and some lacing.

S: Mild aroma of malty sweetness and a touch of spicy citrus mixed in.

T: Has a mild sweet malt flavor with some biscuit and bit of spice. Fairly dry finish.

F: Medium body, smooth with a nice balance.

D: Very drinkable. One of my go to beers when I find it available on tap.

soju6, Feb 05, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -68%

Drank it straight out of the bottle.

This beer smells like someone stale beer in a plastic cup from the party the night before.

Tastes like someone dropped a greasy wrench in the water then brewed the beer. I dread belching and having to taste it again.

Mouthfeel low carbonation, very little aftertaste; flat finish.

Drinkability: I can barely finish one. Even though it is 3 months before the exp. date, it seems flat and on the verge of getting skunky.

I bought the variety pack to try the various Fat Tire Ales and I am very disappointed with the amber ale.

davidvaz, Feb 05, 2011