Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
jbphoto88

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

The brew pours a crisp, clear burnt orange color and has a nice tan head that laces well. That's it. That's all the inspiration I get from the appearance of this beer. Sure it looks nice but so did a coors light once in my life. Maybe the bottle just looked at me the wrong way. Stupid bicycle.

The scent is grounded in malt-ville. There is a toasted and sweet malt nose but I feel it could be bolder.

I'll give this a 3.5 because it's better then some others that I've tried but not by much. The malt taste seems stale and over worked. I know this is the workhorse beer for the label and thus probably made in giant batches which could explain the lack of character. Personally I dig the other offerings from New Belgium.

The mouthfeel is smooth starting and gives way to carbonated bitterness. Light body and a sizzle of bubbles after each sip. A decent beer but only a few steps above average.

07-09-2009 23:58:32 | More by jbphoto88
ajmoody76

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

started getting the cans a little while back. i am glad to see them. they go in pockets and backpacks well. twelve ounce can pours clear light amber color. one finger tan head. some lacing. looks good.

toasty and biscuit malts. some fruit hops in there as well.

caramel malty sweet. citrus fruit hops also. dry bitter fruit aftertaste. fits within style.

mid body. good carbonation. i like this better than the bottle. seems to have a little more depth. i will continue to buy this beer.

07-09-2009 03:01:07 | More by ajmoody76
JamesS

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Had on tap at Sonka's Irish Pub, Terre Haute, IN.

Poured a nice crystal-copper color with some very nice head and decent lacing. Sweet malty scent, with a touch of fruit in the nose. Great taste, a nice malty beer with enough hops, slight though they are, to keep it from being unbalanced; has a great sugar candy flavor in the finish that really makes it excellent. Goes down very smooth, quite a nice beer.

07-07-2009 18:55:15 | More by JamesS
avalon07

3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

A: Poured from a bomber to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a completely clear consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: Some hops present, but not much else.

T: As with the smell, there are hops up front, but a thin, watery finish. This is a one-note beer in the taste department. Not offensively bad, just very thin.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a slightly syrupy finish. Light-bodied.

D: Not an undrinkable beer, but it hardly lives up to the hype.

07-07-2009 16:49:34 | More by avalon07
jpro

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured it from a bomber - crystal clear light amber / caramel, with a thin eggshell colored head that doesn't really stick around. Aroma has touches of burnt caramel, grainy, its very bready; overall, kind of like nutella-light (if there is such a thing) on toast. Taste is of bread, malt sweetness, with hints of nuttiness; there's a light hop finish. Mouthfeel is light-bodied and a little thin. Its pretty drinkable, as in it could be consumed like water - although, personally I'd go for something else. Not as much character as I was hoping for -

07-06-2009 00:22:23 | More by jpro
benteach

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured with a modest head, good lacing. Head did not last long though, only a faint ring throughout the drink.

Yellow, orangish color, good carbonation.

A good, balanced beer. Malt is distinct, slight caramel flavor, finishes with a superb hop taste. Just the right kind for an American Amber. Smooth mouthfeel, very rich but, again, bery balanced.

07-04-2009 00:03:25 | More by benteach
ifnkovhg

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

I can understand why some might not like this beer. It's not complex at all. But neither is chocolate ice cream. This is nice, bready, malty comfort beer.

It pours dark orange with an off-white head that doesn't last. There's some lacing.

The smell is very inviting: malty and biscuity, as others have noted. There's some sweetness in there, as well. Toffee, maybe? No hops as far as I can tell.

The taste is right in line with the smell. Malty, chewy, biscuity. I can't detect any hops at all. The carbonation lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good -- semi-full. Lighter than a lot of ambers out there (I'm looking at you, Full Sail). Carbonation is where it should be. It's noticeable, but doesn't distract.

Drinkability is high. Despite its dark color, this is a good summertime session beer.

This beer strikes me as the little brother of (e.g.) Boont Amber Ale, which has the hops and complexity that this beer lacks. If you're a hophead, this beer probably isn't for you. But I like my malt and I like this beer.

06-30-2009 02:51:58 | More by ifnkovhg
bskrtz

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

A) Slightly cloudy, small head that quickly disolves to lace. Bright orange when held to the sun

S) Sour mash with citrus fruits

T) The low alcohol content offers a smooth, falvorful summer thirst quencher especially when served COLD

M) Thicker than a pilsner or lager. They got the carbonation just right. A dense and smooth ale

D) It's 4:00 pm and the lifts just closed. The sun is still up. Drinkability? Only in pints and better yet when you are buying

06-29-2009 01:34:30 | More by bskrtz
beerhobo22

Nebraska

Good hop aromas with hearty malt. Dark amber with good, rocky, head. Tastes of caramel malt balanced with earthy hop bitterness. Finishes clean. Medium body with good carbonation. Really enjoyed the canned version over the bottle. Someone told me that they added add'l yeast to each can, but I can't confirm. As always, a good beer.

06-28-2009 16:35:23 | More by beerhobo22
ImusBeer

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

22 oz brown bottle.

A: Dark Amber with two fingers of head I had to wait for head to die some to complete pour.

S: Faint sweet malty aroma. Very little hops aroma.

T&M: Watery and a bit bland for my tastes with a malt sweetness and flavor. Very drinkable though and an all around enjoyable drink.

I usually prefer a hoppier beer but this was very nice and drinkable. Very good Amber Ale, The bottle was marked "Georgia on my Ride", to commemorate the opening of the Georgia market for New Belgium.

06-26-2009 13:46:33 | More by ImusBeer
chumba526

Oregon

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

The first thing that comes to mind, when i think of Fat Tire is its great earthy smell. the smell almost reminds me of stilton blue cheese. the color is normal, but im not really in to judging beers by their appearance, it seems a little closedminded and childish, but whatever. The taste has a nice rich malty taste that is hardy, there is a bit of hops to keep the malts in line though the malts are clearly the star of the show. Flat out a nice session beer for when you do not want anything that complex; just a simple solid non-challanging ale. a perfect beer for smoking a joint, mowing the lawn, a lazy afternoon, a concert. Its nice because Fat tire can be found most places on the west coast, even run down venues. At 11.99 a twelve pack one can not really go wrong with this nice session beer.

06-26-2009 05:43:02 | More by chumba526
cdizinno

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bottle with before date of 25 Sept. 2009.

A: Bright copper with little head and minimal lacing.

S: Faint floral scent of hops.

T&M: Medium bodied and very smooth. Nice biscuity malt from start to finish. Light flash of hops, some fruitiness, and finishes semi-dry.

Not really the best red ale I've had. However, the bottle I had stated it was an "Amber Ale". So I'll rate it as that and it is a very good ale.

06-25-2009 00:53:45 | More by cdizinno
NODAK

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this in a bottle at the hotel bar while waiting to go out and have quite a few more beers. Aroma was malty and somewhat sweet. I sensed a bit of biscuity aroma as well.

Mouthfeel was a bit creamy.

But the taste was quite nice. Crisp upfront with faint piney hops that quickly give way to a biscuity and toasty body. This beer is certainly one of a kind flavor profile wise, I haven't had any quite like it. The finish is pretty clean with only a little malt sweetness lingering.

A very tasty beer, and one that I'd recommend as an entry beer for somebody who only drinks macros. A little adventerous for those who don't drink much craft beer, but tasty for the rest of us.

06-24-2009 00:06:55 | More by NODAK
hardy008

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

I've had this both in the bottle and on tap. It has more of a biscuit flavor from the bottle, and is sweeter on tap. Poured an amber color. Came with virtually no head, but I try not to judge the head for tap beers. Had a caramel aroma and flavor with some sweetness, definitely sweeter than from the bottle. Had a medium mouthfeel and an average amount of carbonation. Very drinkable, and better on tap than from the bottle.

06-22-2009 03:54:45 | More by hardy008
smibroncos

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

A. Poured a clear ruby brown, with a one and a half finger lasting light brown head. Generous lacing on the glass.

S. Malt, Cartamel, molasses,coffee

T. Suprisingly more bitter than sweet, caramel and some molasses

M. Medium bodied high carbonation. Was a little fizzy, maybe a new keg?

D. Good ale. I likes the balanced bitter taste with the sweet nose.

06-19-2009 00:59:02 | More by smibroncos
GweedoeBRew

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

It was great... I was so excited to find it while I was out here on my trip to the Northwest... Great Malty flavor... actually tasted like the clone I made a few years back... so that was exciting... good stuff... I am glad to have had a chance to have it and hope that it makes it out to the east coast soon!

06-18-2009 04:18:02 | More by GweedoeBRew
mikereaser

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A - pours a clear rust orange amber color with 1/4 inch of foam

S - aroma is of malts, breadiness and some hops

T - malty flavors with some breadiness and a bit of hops round this one out

M/D - light-medium bodied, nice carbonation, very easy to drink. This is the beer that got me into "craft" beer, so i'm very nostalgic about this one.

06-17-2009 17:20:51 | More by mikereaser
tjwarren

4.38/5  rDev +22%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance - slightly hazy amber. Next to no head. Leaves some lacing.

Smell - Biscuity, not overwhelming.

Taste - Easy going start, light but tasty, easy going hop finish, very enjoyable. This is not a big time ale or big time hoppy beer but it is almost perfect for what it is. A beer. Doesn't try or pretend to be anything else. I would almost say this is Miller Lite done perfectly except that would be sacriledge.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation with medium nouthfeel. Again something that will not wear you out. Light but not watery.

Drinkability - Outstanding. Could always go for another. Price is middle of the road or I would have given a 5 here.

06-17-2009 13:15:18 | More by tjwarren
carsonplunkett

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

First off let me say that this is my first beer review on this site.

A: Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Pours a bright amber color with about an inch or so of off-white brownish head. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: I love the smell of Fat Tire. Smells of toasted hops, biscuits and light hints of chocolate.

T: Several people told me that this beer was overrated; I can't say that I agree. Tastes of toasted hops and biscuits. A bit malty, and has a very faint alcohol bite in the finish.

M: Not too heavy and not too light.

D: Pretty drinkable, but because of the price I can't say I'd recommend it as a session beer.

06-16-2009 05:22:04 | More by carsonplunkett
CaptainIPA

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Pours a light copper color with vibrant carbonation and an impressive three-finger head. Decent lacing.

S: Malt, hops and biscuit. A whiff of pineapple as it warms.

T: Toasty malt flavors with biscuit overtones and a hint of pineapple. Finishes moderately hoppy. Well balanced.

M: Thin bodied, smooth and well carbonated.

D: Easy drinking for sure, but rather thin bodied and not exactly full flavored. Um...and why is this ale so entirely overhyped? Just wondering.

06-15-2009 14:25:17 | More by CaptainIPA
donmonkey1

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Apperance: Pours a copper color with a large head that recedes fairly quickly. Good lacing and carbonation.

Smell: Sweet and malty, not much in the way of hops.

Taste: Watered down malt with a mild coppery taste.

Drinkability: Easy to drink because it's not particularly strong, but it's not much better than average.

06-14-2009 22:20:16 | More by donmonkey1
drunkboxer1

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

More like obese tire am I right? Pours amber with a white head that fades into a thin lace. Smells toasty, bready and with hints of caramel and piney American hops. Tastes bready. Lots of biscuit malt. Toasted flavors dominate the palate. It's fairly sweet. Hop bitterness is there but I feel like this is a little unbalanced towards the sweet end of things. Medium amounts of carbonation. Drinks easy enough.

06-12-2009 18:30:55 | More by drunkboxer1
saintwarrick

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

New into the state and hoping I'll see what all the buzz is about. Pours a perfectly clear light amber (as you would expect) with a sudsy white head that is a nice size for the style and leaves a nice lace down the glass. Aroma is very biscuity but not a lot else there. Taste follows that, pretty dry at first, bready and plenty of malt there. Not very sweet, reminds me of some of the dryer Octoberfests in that regard. Some dried fruit in the background, but mostly this is just dry, easy-drinking malty brew. No hops to speak of, though this beer is not sweet or cloying in the least.

A solid brew and a fine amber ale but nothing to write home about.

06-11-2009 04:13:12 | More by saintwarrick
slatetupelo

Mississippi

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Pours a translucent amber color, much lighter than I expected. Leaves a good one inch white head with alright lacing. Just from the looks of this beer it looks like something you would call and Amber Light.

S - I dunno really, nothing special though.

T - Very little bitterness, some malts and just a little sweetness. This beer doesn't taste bad by no means but no flavor really stands out. I almost want to call it bland.

D - I could drink many of these with no problem if there were no better choice in a bar. I don't see myself stocking up on this beer any time soon though with there being better ambers out there.

06-09-2009 05:22:10 | More by slatetupelo
TeeCee

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Quick review: Very sessionable beer with more flavor than I'd remembered, but not as much as I'd like.

I picked this up as part of New Belgium's Folly Pack 12 pack. I poured it into an American style pint glass hard enough to produce ~2" of head. The body has that tea look I've been noticing lately: totally transparent orangey amber. The head dissipated over the course of a few minutes, leaving sticky traces on the walls of the glass, reducing ~1/8" of foam. Very slight, continuous nucleation.

Malty on the nose. I can't smell any hops discernibly.

The taste is smooth and malty with some hop trailing as I finish the sip. Some hop flavor, but no overwhelming bitterness to speak of. A nice balance.

Not quite as thick in the mouth as I expected. Not quite a light beer, and thicker than a BMC lager. Maybe it is just as thick in the mouth as it should be.

I could drink several of these. They go down easy. I might be turning to something else to get more flavor, but then those something elses would not be very sessionable.

06-07-2009 23:31:40 | More by TeeCee