Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
SickBrew

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -22%

I think this is the first "can" conditioned beer I've had, at least that I'm aware of. However, it's not much different than the bottled version.

Appearance is better than average and it does leave some lacing. It does look more like an IPA than an amber, however. Taste is a bit dry and there's a heavy earthy component that just doesn't sit well with me. I find it off putting. Body is medium light and than can conditioning resulted in good carbonation.

If you where golfing and your choice is a domestic can or Fat Tire in a can, I would go with Fat Tire.

03-03-2009 02:05:14 | More by SickBrew
skeeordye11

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter. This is the first day NB is available in NC. It's a great day!

A- Poured golden amber into the glass with a rising tan-white head that settles back into the liquid after a few sips. Very inviting.

S- Beatiful malty aroma that makes me salivate.

T- Simply delicious. Malt predominates, but it dosen't overpower. Nice subtle hop flavor finish.

M- Rich and creamy. So good.

D- Very drinkable. Every sip leaves you wanting to come back for more. Would be a fantastic beer to look forward coming home to every day.

03-02-2009 22:56:43 | More by skeeordye11
lhaqq

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

A: mm, had this out of a bottle, so not sure how to rate the appearance. I assume it's a hazy orange, if it's like any of the other times I've had it.
S: Malty and some bread. Also noticeable spices that I'd missed other times.
T: Strong biscuit and malts. Fairly creamy throughout and finishes with a bit of the spices.
M: Round, creamy body, not too thick or thin.
D: A generally good beer, but might get bored after more than a couple.

02-27-2009 09:15:06 | More by lhaqq
Reagan1984

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

1 finger of foamy whit head that faded fairly quickly.
Light amber color. No visible carbonation Lots of sticky lacing

Musty aroma, grainy, light caramel.

Light malt flavor, not a lot of depth, light roasted flavor that lingers. Not really a hop effect but more of a roasted note.

Effervescent carbonation, light mouth feel.

Not very interesting. Drinkable but not exciting.

I've had this a couple of times and this is the first time I chose to think about it. Just not much there. I think it's a perfect gateway craft beer for folks...

02-26-2009 23:12:31 | More by Reagan1984
biggred1

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear copper with a pillow of rocky tan suds resting on top. Almost no smell, faint roasted malt and caramel. Tastes of light grainy malt, caramel and honey. Light bodied with ample carbonation. Drinkable but pedestrian. A nice beer but, I don't get the hype over it, there are a lot better beers out there.

02-21-2009 23:16:05 | More by biggred1
Arbitrator

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

On-tap at Mission Bar in SF.

A: Slightly hazy golden amber color with moderate carbonation up the glass. Poured without any head, but there was a little lacing as I drank.

S: Biscuit malt, some caramel, and a little bit of floral notes.

T: Toasted, biscuit, and caramel malts come out as I drink, leaning toward the toasted malts as the drink warms. Crisp and dry in the mid-taste, with a little hop bitterness in the finish.

M: On the thin-side of medium-bodied, almost a bit watery. I like the carbonation.

D: This is the halfway-craft beer that many popular bars carry. If I find myself in one of those establishments, that's probably when I'd try this. Otherwise I have no desire to drink it. This beer is the very definition of "meh."

02-21-2009 10:05:17 | More by Arbitrator
gford217

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of mhewes poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear, light amber with a big fluffy white head that clings to the glass on the way down leaving good lacing. A tad light for the style but still good looking.

The aroma is dominated by light malts with a strong bready character with only hints of caramel sweetness. More toasted than sweet overall.

The taste follows the aroma pretty close with the light toasted malts and grains dominating with a faint fruity sweetness and a slighty dry toasted finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation and crisp due to the major toasted malt presence.

This is a fair amber that's drinkable but doesn't offer anything original or complex. Still, a good intro craft beer.

02-21-2009 04:23:49 | More by gford217
Billolick

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

12 ouncer, with best before dating printed on the label.

Pour: Lighter, glowing orange hued amber, clear. Nice puffy, retentive light tan head, leaving all kids of thick stick on the glass.

Sniff: Mallty, toasty

Taste: Pale malts, balancing hops. Nice session type ale. Easily enjoyed and appreciated.

Drink More? Why not, nothing special, just a nicely crafted, easy drinking ale. Good newbie beginer beer or an all session enjoyable creation.

02-19-2009 14:35:08 | More by Billolick
KeefD

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Copper colored ale with a small white head on top, crystal clear, decent lacing, lots of carbonation. Aroma is bready, cracker-like almost, with a hint of herbal, earthy hops. Taste follows suit with the nose. Definite biscuit malt character in this one, slightly sweet in the middle, woody, earthy hops, and a dry finish. Very, very easy to drink, lower end of medium bodied. This is the beer I credit with getting me into craft beers. Still does the trick for me. Nothing special, but tasty indeed.

02-18-2009 21:15:54 | More by KeefD
twiggamortis420

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a vibrantly clear light copper color with a soapy looking off-white head. Ok retention and a smattering of lacing.

Nose is dominated by sweet caramely malts. Fruity smelling hops make an appearance as well as some corn flake cereal and honey notes. One of the classically identifiable smelling beers.

Nutty and toasty tasting amber ale. The prominent sweetness found in the nose is much more subtle in the taste. Some, but not much hop bitterness and flavor. Thin bodied and pretty simplistic tasting. A great intro into the world of craft beer, very unoffensive and rather drinkable.

02-09-2009 19:23:45 | More by twiggamortis420
dotsonjamesg

Arkansas

2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass

A: Carbonation is high and was a little difficult pour the first time, almost spilled.

S: Smell is earthy, bread-like, big malty character too with a tinge of hops.

T: Strong earthy and biscuit like tones. I am not a fan of the big malty flavors of this brew. I know American Amber tends to have that, but I think they went a little overboard with it. Its not a bad beer but I wont drink it if I can avoid it.

M: Carbonation is pretty high and tingles my taste buds. The brew was kinda thick, just as an ale should be.

D: It becomes more drinkable as it warms but the taste alone just puts me off.

I just can't understand why some people have come to define this brew "godsend." Some may say if I don't like the style then I shouldn't have reviewed it. I defend my review in the fact that I have an open mind to every brew and that every good beer deserves a good shot. I have indeed found a few American Amber Ales but I think Fat Tire Amber Ale appeals to a certain characteristic, and only that characteristic.

Cheers.

02-09-2009 00:26:40 | More by dotsonjamesg
chugalug06

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer is a must try. Don't buy old ones... check the date, and drink it on tap whenever possible. If you can get to the brewery try it there, it's completely different than anywhere else. Bottled it's good canned it's great, on tap it's darn near amazing. The cans are great for hikes and camping. New belgium's most stable beer. Don't get too caught up in it's nickname "flat-tire"

02-08-2009 04:11:25 | More by chugalug06
maximum12

2.45/5  rDev -31.8%

Soooo...Fat Tire. We meet again.

First had this a few years ago on a business trip to Seattle. I looked at my co-worker & said "Something wrong with your beer? Yuck." We dumped them.

Tried it again a year ago. I managed to power through the bomber in about three hours, but it no longer revolted me.

So...Monday night, bowling, our lanes break down & the waitress offers us free beers. I order a Mothership Wit. And get a...Fat Tire.

Usually when I'm in the "C" range on brews, it's due to a lack of taste, or lack of distinction, with just nothing standing out. That's not the case here. Fat Tire tastes like its name. I'm always reminded of bicycle rubber & beer-soaked bread when I put this in my mouth, & it's not a real pleasant combo for me. It's weird & unique - but not in a good way.

I left half the free bomber in the alley. I can stomach Fat Tire, but it's appeal remains a mystery to me.

02-04-2009 02:42:46 | More by maximum12
beernut

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Had on tap at the Orleans Casino in Vegas at the Gator Bar. Pours a light amber/brown color, the head did not stay around too long, decent lcing. Aroma is hoppy and malty, some biscuit as well. Taste is biscuity malt, floral as well. Very smooth and easy to drink. Good carbonation throughout. Wish it could be found on the East Coast.

02-03-2009 20:00:45 | More by beernut
Jayli

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

I've had this beer while in Chicago a few times, but never reviewed it. While in Denver this past weekend, I finally got a chance to try it again...
This beer poured a nice amber/copper color and was extremely clear. There was next to nothing of a head, with very minimal, if any lacing. The smell was not entirely impressive, but not bad either - there just wasn't anything that jumped out. The flavor is a strong malt that is essentially the backbone of this beer, with a well supported hops to it. Reminded me more of an Oktoberfest though. It had a good, full body that somehow didn't leave me feeling full. The strong point of this beer is certainly its drinkability. This is definitely a beer that I could sit with for a session.

02-02-2009 15:20:19 | More by Jayli
largadeer

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Couldn't turn down a fresh 12 oz can for a buck, curious to see how it compares to the pint I had on draft a few months back.

Appearance: A golden amber body with slight haze from the can conditioning. The dense white head holds well, clining to the walls of the glass. Solid.

Smell: Biscuits and light fruitiness. There's a bit of mustiness as well, something that always puts me off with this beer. Honey and pineapple come out as it warms.

Taste & mouthfeel: Rich with toasted malt flavor but well-attenuated. Crisp and dry, lightly estery. Apricot frutiness appears briefly in the finish, which is ultimately on the dry side and tinged with hop bitterness.

A pretty enjoyable session beer, better from the can than from the keg.

01-31-2009 21:25:43 | More by largadeer
tkerugger

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%

My personal favorite...finally widely available in Iowa.

Appearance - beautiful, crystal clear, light brown/amber color with nice, dense head and plenty of staying power. i wish my dog was this color.

Smell - fresh, bit o' hops and a nice amount of spice...very inviting.

Taste - just the right sweetness and hoppiness, caramel and toasty malt.

Mouthfeel - just the right amount of body...you can feel it on the tongue, but its not chewy or too thin; carbonation was excellent.

Drinkability - can't think of a time that it wouldn't be good...

Serving type - bottle, a little colder than recommended.

01-29-2009 02:34:53 | More by tkerugger
sonicdescent

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to angelmonster for the opportunity.

Pours a golden/red hue with active and beautiful carbonation. The head didn't stick around too long but I blame this partially on my partial spillage when opening this bad boy.

Smells pretty hoppy. Floral, biscuit, spicy even. Complex, but not what I'd say something that makes me salivate at the thought of drinking.

Tastes like crackers, probably the biscuit taste that everyone mentions. A very crisp finish and light hop bitterness. Not very complex, but enjoyable and fitting of the style.

Mouth is thin and carbonation is high. Anything else would make this beer undrinkable.

I don't know how anyone could say this isn't drinkable, this in fact is damn near a textbook session beer. Shame I can't readily get it here.

01-28-2009 00:02:43 | More by sonicdescent
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz. single picked up at Riverside Wine and Spirits in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Best Before: 24APR09.

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright amber body with a large, frothy, white head. Fine, thin lacing throughout.

Smell: Aroma smelling of biscuits and uncooked dough with a tiny note of fruit and spicy, floral hop scents.

Taste: Biscuity malts with a light sweetness. Lightly nutty initially, but as it warms, it develops into more of a grain flavor. Very light hint of pear fruitiness. Floral, spicy hop character with a light bitterness. Finishes dry and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Simple but highly drinkable and refreshing. It leaves me wondering exactly why the public latched onto this with a fervency and cult following.

01-26-2009 02:02:21 | More by ChainGangGuy
showell

Arizona

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

For the longest time this was my "session beer". Before I discovered microbrews and imports, this was the beer I drank when I was required by protocol or when I simply wanted a beer for some reason. As a result, I tend to judge everything else by a "fat tire standard". I try not to, but it's hard to break old habits. In any case, now that I have other REALLY good beers to drink, I tend to think of fat tire as distinctly average. It's not bad, and I'll certainly drink it when it's the best available. There are a couple of clubs in the area that serve fat tire on tap, and they just don't have anything better. In that case, it's a nice beer to drink for the evening. Appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability are all average. Certainly it beats any of the macros, and at times, if I've not had any other beers for a few days, I can honestly say I enjoy the flavor. Nice balance of hops, and very drinkable for an evening.

01-26-2009 00:30:38 | More by showell
Guzzler78

Missouri

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Got a free 12 pack of cans, can't argue with that. Its been a while since i've had one of these.

Pours a light amber color. Nice white head with decent lacing.
Smells of sweet malt and floral and citrus hops.
Sweet malt flavors balance with a fresh hoppiness, citrus, yeast-bread like flavors.
Medium mouthfeel, lots of carbonation dry finish.
A decent drinker. A slightly funky aftertaste. I'll agree that this one is a sort of gateway beer.

Cheers!!

01-23-2009 06:03:40 | More by Guzzler78
introvertedone

Tennessee

Reviewed: 1/19/09

Fat Tire Ale poured a golden, clear in appearance with a sweet, bisquity aroma. This biscuity tones that I got from the aroma carried over into the flavor. The mouthfeel of this ale was thick and slightly chewy. I could drink this fine brew all day long.

01-21-2009 23:05:40 | More by introvertedone
sgoodship

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

I was checking out the inauguration on the TV at a local bar and decided to try this on-tap because the options were not so great.

A: Dark amber. Fluffy white half a finger head. retained a thin head and left some decent lacing. Carbonation was visible.

S: Some bready malt and earthy hops.

T: A bready, biscuity malt. Some caramel sweetness. The hops deliver a crisp finish. The taste was a let-down based on my experience with the bottles. Just seemed to lack spark and was a little watery.

M: Crisp, light body. Medium carbonation that suited it.

D: I had 2, so it was clearly a decent choice among the other beers on hand. I wouldn't go out of my way for it again. I'd rather have a bottle based on my experience.

01-21-2009 04:53:59 | More by sgoodship
ssam

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

A- pretty dull orange color. the head was tiny after an aggressive pour and it quickly dwindled without leaving a trace. but i gotta say i liked the label (that isnt included in my score though)

S- my first smell was really nice. it smells very earthy and woodsy. it has a clear hops aroma that is very pleasing. but i took other sniffs as i sipped and i noticed the smell getting progressively worse. the initially present flowery hop smell was replaced by a mostly metallic character. weird.

T- it tastes just like the bottle boasts. sweet biscuity malt balanced perfectly with a fresh hop taste. the mix is pretty refreshing and good.

M- this gets a 5 because it had a perfect level of carbonation and a really nice mouthfeel. i have to admit, i was worried at first because of the head, or lack there of, but this beer delivered in this category.

D- the drinkability on this beer is high because the fresh feeling you get as you drink it leaves you very refreshed and wanting more-- great session beer.

01-21-2009 03:44:16 | More by ssam
cagocubs

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Great looking beer with a transcendent golden amber color with a nice thick foamy head with lacing.

S: Nice crisp fresh smell for this amber ale. It has a slight caramel sweetness and smells of hops present as well.

T: Very simple taste but not at the expense of flavor. It features nice caramel tones with toasted malts along with fruity traces. Much more complex taste than anticipated.

M: Feels nice and crisp in the mouth with nice coating.

D: High, I can see myself drinking this alot more in the near future.

Final Thoughts: I have seen this beer all around lately and have been waiting to buy it. I'm glad I bought it. It is a simple beer that tastes good and is very drinkable.

01-18-2009 03:08:59 | More by cagocubs