Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a medium amber with three fingers of foamy white head and some nice lacing.

The smell has a nice toffee flavor that was ever so quick to roll into a spicy hop flavor. Some nice malt flavor brings in a nice even sweet fruit flavor with a touch of bitterness in the background.

The taste was also a bit toffee with some nice biscuit flavor. There a bit of a buttery flavor that has some nice tones to it.

The feel of this beer is pretty smooth. It has a light body and it pretty refreshing and went well with the dinner I was having.

Duhast500, Oct 22, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Sadly where I'm from we can't get New Belgium, so I always try to pick up a six pack when I can/

A- Moderate head that dissipates quickly. Moderate lacing with three or four lines on the pint glass I poured it into. Color resembles that of peach tea exhibiting a reddish pink hue.

S- Primarily rich malt initial smell with a very slight hint of hops appearing at the end.

T- Nice dry biscuit taste makes itself known immediately. Like in the smell a slight hint of hops bring up the rear, and make themselves most know in the aftertaste.

M- Clean feeling, but the flavors of malt cling to the inside of the mouth after it's gone.

D- Very light and easy to drink.

Jdmpolk, Oct 19, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Light Amber in color, with medium to semi-thick lacing. Head showed decent retention.

Bready malt and floral like smell. Some kind of sweet fruitiness.

Taste was somewhat disappointing though. Watered down Biscuity malt with a slight bitterness.

This beer has good drinkability because it's somewhat "light" tasting, and easy to knock back a few.

Overall, it isn't my first choice in Amber Ales, but something worthy of drinking again at some point.

jj311, Oct 18, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Golden amber with a big creamy white cap. Good head retention and a nice cloud stays behind. Tons of creamy thick lace on the whole glass.

S- Not much going on here. Some toasty biscuit bready malt. Slight dark fruit. Some adjunct sweetness.

T- Toasty biscuit malt with some dark fruit. Some corn-like adjunct malt. A bit bready. Some earthy hop flavor.

MF- Light end body with moderate carbonation. Somewhat watery. Tiny bitterness.

DB- A decent, middle-of-the-line beer. Nothing amazing going on but still laid back and smooth, refreshing. Worth trying a beer that so many have raved about.

cbutova, Oct 17, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Pours an amber hue with a nice, 2.5 finger frothy head that sticks around for quite a while.

S- Toffee, toasted bread, spices

T- Bready, light fruits, no hops to speak of.

M- Thin-medium bodied with decent carbonation.

D- Something in fat tire has just never meshed with me. Perhaps it is the spices or toasted character.

Lothore, Oct 13, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Have had this from the bottle and on tap...I like both.

Clear, nice medium red-amber color. 1 finger head.

Smells of spices, hops, mild fruity sweetness.

Taste is good. nice blend of Hops, spice with nice mild amount of fruit sweetness. An interesting blend.

Good amount of carbonation, not too heavy, goes down nicely.

Drinks very well. Again an interesting blend of flavors. Hops, spices, fruit...can't compare it's taste to other beers I've tried.

Overall a good brew. I can drink this "one after another". Not too heavy. I find myself ordering it on tap quite often while out for the evening. Worth trying, worth buying!

fourplayed, Oct 11, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale (on draft)

Appearance: Darker-amber, small head, and good lacing.

Smell: Barley, hops, and spices.

Taste: Pumpkin spice, squash, warm malts, hops, very subtle coriander.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth.

Overall:
Not bad. I believe it is best suited as a session beer. It is slightly watery.

megahurts4, Oct 09, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a pint glass on 10/4/10

02 Jan 11 printed on the bottle

Faded amber brown in color & boasting great clarity. 1/2 inch head drops to a collage of wispy foam & bubbles. A good amount of sticky lace remains.

Well balanced aromas of caramel, floral hops, toasted bread & dry biscuit.

Tastes livelier than the simplicity of the nose suggested. Though not awash in bitterness per se, the hop profile is well crafted & very flavorful with a penchant for floral overtones & juiciness. Caramel & toasted malts meet a supportive role.

Medium body with prickly carbonation sufficient to make the most of the IBUs contained herein. Mostly clean finish; some residuals linger briefly.

I have no complaints as far as drinkability. Fat Tire is quite the easy drinker. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it tastes pretty darn good. Now I see what all the fuss has been about.

Ryan011235, Oct 06, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This to me is the craft beer of craft beers... if you like craft beer this will probably be your first beer if you're just now getting into it. I must say it's a good beer to drink, I still prefer a samuel adams, but it isn't overly impressive. I enjoy a good amber ale but this just wasn't kicking it for me, perhaps I've let my tongue stray to the stronger beers but this a damn good beer to have with dinner if you aren't looking to over power your taste buds and just have a decent beer with dinner.

revolt914, Oct 05, 2010

A friend left some of this in my fridge so I drank it.

Poured into a pint glass. POurs into a pretty amber color and has a head that reduces to a mist on the top.

Has a nice fragrant smell. Can smell fruits.

Has a really nice taste. Has tones of caramel, fruits and some malt. Has perfect amount of carbonation.

Has a perfect mouthfeel, not too heavy and not too light.

Has a decent drinkability.

If you haven't tried this beverage do yourself a favor and drink one on a sunny day, you won't regret it.

Landfill21, Oct 02, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

A= To me this beer was copper in color. It had a decent head that disappered quickly and a little bit of lacing.

S= To me it didn't have much of a smell but the one thing that did stand out to me is that it smelled biscuity.

T= To me it was pretty bland to me the biscuit scent came out when I was drinking it and you can diffently taste it while drinking it.

M= It seemed pretty light to me. It was had the right amount of carbonation

D= For this being New Belguim flagship beer I really didn't like it but it really isn't my style I think a person that is new to craft beer and has been drinking miller lite for years this would be a good introduction to craft beers. I liked the New Belgium Ranger better.

LiquidBread219, Oct 02, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle in SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a light amber with hints of yellow-orange with a big foamy off-white head that slowly receded into a thin film that left impressive rings of lace down the glass.
S: Not picking up much, but is there isn't bad. Light notes of caramel malt, faint grassy hops, and a touch of grain.
T: Flavor is a sweet metallic coppery blast of syrupy malt and sour hops. Aftertaste is off putting. This is synthetic tasting.
M: Carbonation is very low and the mouthfeel is medium and slick. Body is syrupy.
D: Looks good, smells okay, but man no matter how many times I try this beer it still has that same nasty taste. NB other offering are usually fairly decent albeit not earth shattering, but I don't see how their staple beer has such a following.

scottfrie, Oct 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

I've had this many, many times, but never out of a can, so I thought I'd give it a review. Poured into a pint glass.

A - great amber color with nice head and retention. The sight of this beer reminds me of fall, which is just around the corner.

S - combination of malt and hops, some fruit, maybe apricots or cherries, and a very slight bit of alcohol perhaps.

T - on the front are the hops, a tad dry and bitter, but then comes some sweet malt, fruit, bread, and caramel. Finishes very smoothly, not too dry or sweet, but just right.

M - good carbonation, nice balance of flavors, but a little liter than expected when compared to the bottle (which is what I've grown used to).

D - very smooth, not filling, and at a sessionable ABV. As mentioned above, it's liter than I'm used to, but I actually think I prefer this brew out of a can. Will definitely buy again.

GabrielM, Sep 28, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

This was orange with a light tan head, and the smell is sickly sweet malts with maybe a bit of citrus.

I similarly found the taste too sweet for my palate--it's like a malt bomb or something, with biscuity and caramel sweetness and then just a hint of floral hops around the edges, finishing sweet and not that clean. Isn't so much focus on the malts off-style for an American Amber? I also felt the mouthfeel was a bit on the thin side and under-carbonated, and am a little bit confused as to why this has become a cult beer. I will be drinking it again, as it's a step up from anything else at my new local bar, but still, I'm a bit disappointed overall.

lstokes, Sep 27, 2010

Had this one on draft at Red Hot and Blue...
Poured into a mini pitcher, the color was copper-amber, nice white head that left good lacing.
Smells of caramel malt, buttered toast and a hint of apricot.
Tastes bready and buttery, sweet malt.
Feels light-medium and is very soft and smooth.
I could have a nice session with this brew.

JMad, Sep 25, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a amber gold color with cap of fluffy white head, good retention and lacing. Scent is sweet from the start with carmel and brown sugar notes, even some cotton candy, a earthy english hop presences with hints of pine and citrus. Starts of sweet with light toffee notes and again a hint of cotton candy, nice hop profile with earthy and floral hops on top of pine and citrus. Medium bodied, highly carbonated, sweet aftertaste. A decent beer with some carbonation issues and a sweetness that borders on too much at times.

rfgetz, Sep 22, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

Amber with a decent head and fair lacing. Mostly clear.

Smells slightly grainy with some malt and sweet notes.

Tastes OK. More like an ESB to me... there's that something of a taste I can't quite put my finger on, but it's overly pungent. Caramel malts are very dominating. A little bit of sweet.

Feels pretty good, medium bodied and well carbonated.

There are far better and more drinkable beers from this brewer. I doubt I'll buy this one again.

AlCaponeJunior, Sep 19, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +24%

New Belgium's flagship brew is the best American Amber on the market today (at these of those that are somewhat mass marketed). This beer mixes a great craft flavor with a drinkability not often seen with beers of this complex flavor. Much better on tap than in the bottle, but either way is still an enjoyable experience.

Plokhooy, Sep 17, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

When I moved out to Colorado a little less than ten years ago, Fat Tire was all the rage. I'm not sure if it was because New Belgium was early to market or because New Belgium, but either way it's not The Beer out west anymore, it's just one among many. Albeit a popular one.

The color is the most impressive thing about the beer, as it's a deep ruby color with admirable clarity. Unfortunately, the taste doesn't live up to the presentation, as the beer is to my taste overly malty with an aftertaste of slightly charred wood.

To be fair, ambers are not generally my favorite beer, but even making allowances for that fact, it's relatively pedestrian in my view.

Not awful, and certainly drinkable, but undistinguished in a landscape that is far more competitive than when the line launched .

sogrady, Sep 14, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

I don't think I like this beer much but it should be interesting to actually evaluate it systematically like this. My perception is that this thing is overrated

A-really nice light copper color, off white head, not much carbonation, head dissipates pretty quick

S-sweet, malty, a little apple fruitiness

T-really sweet, malty, definitely a rich sweetness like a caramel or toffee, but just overpowering for my taste, it's not just the overbalance of maltiness but I feel like the flavor is kind of one dimensional, this is one beer that I actually feel like is on draft in an overabundance and right now I'm thinking I do prefer the bottle variety,

M-good mouthfeel and the overall lingering effect on the palate are good, it feels more balanced until i take another sip

D-this is a tough one because I regularly encounter this on tap everywhere and I have to lean towards the negative, there are many circumstances where I give this another try and then have to settle on something else

culver501, Sep 14, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours amber as you'd guess with little head. The head doesn't last long, but there is immediate lacing. The beer is light enough that you can see right through it.

Doesn't have a lot of smell. There are some biscuity notes and kind of a peppery-flowery smell, but that's about it.

The flavors are subtle, but enjoyable. I couldn't identify anything in particular, but there was a malty sweetness before the peppery bite took over.

There's some complexity. It's medium-bodied so there's some feeling to it. Like I mentioned, there's sweetness early before giving way to a bittering finish, but all along it's somewhat spicy.

This beer has a lot of different things going on and that makes for an interesting drink. It's got moderate alcohol, a crispness with the carbonation, and is neither light nor heavy, making for a nicely drinkable brew.

RickS95, Sep 13, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Pilsner glass.

Quite frankly, I don't know what all the fuss is about.
Very bland beer, totally pedestrian. Flavors are difficult to ascertain with no hop feel - not that it should be a lot but there should be some kick to an amber and it's just not there.
A step up from your adjunct lagers but not by much.
I like amber ales but not this one.

NWer, Sep 10, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Amber, orange color with an average sized, creamy, foamy, white head. Decent retention with a thin, creamy layer of lace.

S - Toasted malt with some caramel hints dominate the nose. A touch of grass and herbal hops are also present. Some grain and sweet aromas as well.

T - Follows the nose with toasted, caramel malt dominating the taste. Some sweet biscuit flavors in the background. Hints of herbal, grassy and earthy hops mid sip. Finishes with a slight mineral taste as well.

M - Lighter side of medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Pretty creamy and smooth.

D - Easy to drink beer that benefits from a smooth and creamy body. Flavors are easy to drink and nice, especially on a hot day, but nothing to write home about.

Notes: About and average beer. Nice body with a creamy feel. Toasted, caramel and sweeter malt are dominate. Touch of hops is nice, but not enough to really spice it up. Overall a nice beer on a hot day or a nice, easy beer to convert someone.

FreshHawk, Sep 09, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Pours a deeper amber with a tan one inch head.

S: Weakest point of this beer for me, but not awful. Bready, but nothing much to the nose.

T: Malty, bready, some caramel and fruit, just a tinge of hoppiness, clean and creamy finish with minimal hop bitterness.

M: Creamy, light, not too much carbonation, just right.

D: Incredibly drinkable.

This beer is a good one. It's readily available unlike most of the microbrews that I love so it's one that I come back to on a regular basis, and that's not a bad thing.

lespaulrocker, Sep 07, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

A nice amber tone with a lot of transparency and a half inch cream white head. Smells of hops first hit the nose almost as much as an IPA. A much more malty taste yet still toned by the hops. Almost in the realm of a Belgian double. The feel could be less biting. A very drinkable beer that tastes more than it should. Cheers!

JordanEllwanger, Sep 07, 2010