Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
jayfarley3

Nevada

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, pours a light amber color with a white head that dissapated fairly quickly. smell is slightly sweet and bisquity really not that strong at all. taste is of sweet malts and mild hops. mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. drinkability is very good.

12-17-2007 08:27:59 | More by jayfarley3
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Brought back a few of these from a motorcycle trip out west.

Pours a solid amber color with a fluffy white head that laces down the side of the glass. Smell is biscuit malt and floral hops. Taste is malty bready biscuity with a hop twang in the background. Full body with medium carbonation. Certainly a decent brew, wish I didn't have to drive so far to get it.

12-14-2007 01:15:42 | More by johnnnniee
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Big thanks to jasonjlewis for this bomber! Sampled it with my big brother along with DFH punkin and Stone's Arogant Bastard.

Orange golden ale pours with a beautiful head that refuses to dissipate quicky (must be a NB thing, the abbey was the same). Big malt biscuity and floral hoppy aroma's, flavor is the similar to aroma. Easy drinker, could gulp this down all afternoon!!!

12-10-2007 02:08:25 | More by bloberglawp
Jedimaster1

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

I had this one on-tap at the Roadhouse Bar & Grill.

A: An amber colored beer with lots of carbonation. A milky whitehead slowly dissipates as it is consumed.

S: Smell is not intense, but sweet malt can be whiffed throughout.

T: Sweet malt taste can be enjoyed throughout with a hint of hop flavoring. The carbonation also helps this one taste great throughout. This beer is definitely reminiscent of a belgian ale, but not as yeasty or having intense alcohol flavor.

M: Light and very carbonated. Not thick, but what you would expect from an ale.

D: Easily drinkable as the ABV is only 5.2%. A definitive, easy session beer.

I had this one in a bottle after I first moved back to the mainland. After hearing much hype form a close friend, I had to try it. I was not impressed during my first session with the beer. But as I gave it more time, I began to really enjoy it. It really grew on me. And now that I had it on-tap, I really can say this is a great brew and a good choice from those who are locked in a bar or restaurant who only sells the usual suspects. So much so, that when I finished my initial 16oz pint, I then ordered a 32oz to enjoy with the rest of my dinner.

12-09-2007 20:12:48 | More by Jedimaster1
ifixufly

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +10%

This is amber in color with light estery aroma that poured a light head that resided into a loose knit lace on the edges.
First drink came across sweet but with every subsequent taste a very tasty, biscuity flavor and smooth mouthfeel. Very drinkable and would recommend to anyone that likes amber ales.

12-09-2007 02:33:46 | More by ifixufly
johanvond

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a beer that i have read about over the last few years but never had the chance to try it. This past thanksgiveing i traveled to iowa and had the opppertunity to try. It was darker than i expected and had a funkey smell. It dystroyied all hype and any thing i ever read or was told about fat tire it brought me to zero. from that point it was and experience i was happy to share and cant wait till i can try it again. the experience was intensce with the yeast charicter telling a unique storie.

12-07-2007 06:40:42 | More by johanvond
jeffmonarch

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice light golden color. Very little head.

S - Very light smell. Subtly sweet.

T - Subtle, really light flavors but every sip brings new flavors.

M - It doesn't have much to it. It's a really light beer but the subtle hints help give it a little more than most ales.

D - Great beer for any occation. It's light enough to drink many but has enough flavor to sit back and enjoy as a quality beer.

12-07-2007 03:52:49 | More by jeffmonarch
Amenhotep

4.78/5  rDev +33.1%

I was turned on to this beer by a friend; I wasn't disappointed. My first experience with this brew was from a tap. After the tap handle was placed back into the raised position, the head introduced itself. Nice.

No Lace but it stayed a few.

My olfactory glands were pleasantly pleased with ample tones of hops.

The mouthfeel is similar to Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale.

The finish was 'buttery' smooth.

This is currently my favorite.

11-30-2007 03:00:24 | More by Amenhotep
Black7Blue

2.6/5  rDev -27.6%

I have heard things about Fat Tire. I heard it was great. I'm gonna find that person and ask them what was wrong. I was very unimpressed with this brew. It looked great after the pour, but the taste was weak. It had no real special taste to it. The beer went dwon easy, but it struggled to make it past my mouth. I'm not a slammer of beers, so I'm gonna say i got a bad batch and I'll have some when i want to encounter this again. Until then, I'll can just say this Fat Tire was flat. (Pun, I know. Don't hurt my karma, it's all I got left in this world.)

11-29-2007 22:23:43 | More by Black7Blue
clemsonbrewer

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Good light copper appearance. Medium head that disappears quickly. No lacing. Toasted malt flavor. Hint of chocolate and peanut butter...? I'm not sure where I'm getting that from but I swear I am. Big biscuity flavor and still some peanut butter but it's very faint. Good fruitiness to it. Nice hoppy balance. This is a well balanced beer. Very smooth and a little hoppy on the palate. Enjoyable beer that's easy to drink.

11-29-2007 03:30:30 | More by clemsonbrewer
CamuMahubah

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Wow!..This stuff surprised me last night!...It had been a few years and I written this beer off. Decided to give it another try and I was very pleased this time around. Last showing it might have been a bit stale. Don't know how long it sat at Kloch's.

This beer wasn't as dark as I thought it was gonna be...pouring into the mug I noticed it was light orange...well I thought this beer was as black as my heart...Now I know it's an Amber Ale...

It tasted of pumperknickel right between toasted and burnt with chocolate undertones...this beer emants a cacao aura that I chased late into the night...

Easygoing...that is the magic...robust but without the strong aftertaste that I was expecting...just the right amount of fizz...

I am gonna keep a sixer in the fridge for when buddies stop by and such...Wifey likes it too...biscuity goodness!

11-27-2007 08:06:50 | More by CamuMahubah
MarzenMan

Missouri

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Nice clear amber color. 1 finger thick rocky head. Good lacing.

S- Lightly malty and chocolatey with a slight fruit smell.

T & M - Same as the smell. I delfinitely agree that its a one dimensional beer but its not quite like anything else either. Sweet, light chocolate/carmel malt but manages to end dryly. Very very lightly hopped.

D - High. Mild flavor and sweetness make it an easy downer.

11-27-2007 04:04:02 | More by MarzenMan
tempest

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber, it's a hazy, reddish amber with a short head. The smell and taste make for a slightly toasty amber ale. There's a medium body, so despite its popularity, Fat Tire is no lightweight. The taste, however, just isn't that engaging. It's still a nice, balanced mix of sweet yeast flavors and malt, and not a beer I'd turn away.

11-26-2007 18:57:11 | More by tempest
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bomber.

Bright translucent amber-orange with a head. Not highly hopped, this beer features toasty malts. The toasty notes were subtly apparent by smell, but more apparent in the taste. It is not sweetly malty, however, and actually has a crisp, dry finish that makes it highy drinkable. It's a well-balanced beer with crowd-pleasing appeal.

11-26-2007 14:44:24 | More by pweis909
marcpal

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%

Thank you Bort11 for this one. Ive enjoyed this one in Vegas on more than one occassion, good to try out on East Coast and to finally get around to the review.

Poured from bomber into glass

A: Nice reddish-amber color with an enticing inch of white head. Carbonation more than present and lasts long time with good lacing throughout.

S: Biscuity and malty. Very good sweetness to the nose. Hoppy smell.

T: Malt and biscuit just as in the smell. Sweetness was more than I remembered but still a huge fan of this taste. Hops have a clear presence in the throat after working way through this bomber.

M: Some body with a good mouthfeel. Carbonation was not going anywhere but it was nice.

D: Incredibly high, I am part of the following for this beer and am a bit down that this is my only that I get to enjoy out here. I really wish I had more and will look to gather more down the line.

Terrific beer.

11-22-2007 00:11:54 | More by marcpal
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

The quaint scene on the label looks like it came from a children's book. I like the bottle with the dimpled neck, looks fancy.

The beer pours coppery gold with a frothy eggshell head that last an average length and leaves half the glass covered in sheets of lace. Grain roughness and toasted malt is evident in the nose. There's almost a bran feel to it. The taste is malt-centric with a biscuity and toasty feel, reminds me of the feel of some Belgian Pale Ales and Triples. The yeast, however, is much more neutral than any Belgian ale. The hops are pleasantly spicy and provide a competent counterbalance to all the malt going on. The finish is malty and slightly hoppy. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a somewhat rough carbonation.

I like this beer, it's very inoffensive and not bold in anyway, but its just interesting enough to keep my attention. This would make a great gateway into craft beer; its not too hoppy and wouldnt turn off even the most pedestrian palate.

11-21-2007 03:46:14 | More by CAMRAhardliner
tronester

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear amber with a medium off white head. Smells bready and yeasty. Taste is biscuity, but not as biscuity as I remember. Has a sweet presence as well, with a good rounding out of the hop bitterness. Slight hop flavor as well. Slightly thin on the mouthfeel. Quite drinkable.

11-15-2007 05:14:49 | More by tronester
Reanimator

Iowa

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

The golden orange color and large, frothy, eggshell white head is very enticing. Aroma is very bready and sweet.

The taste is a bit disappointing. Malts and hops are there, but nothing really stands out, the volume seems to have been turned down on all of the flavors.

This is a very drinkable, yet ultimately unsatisfying beer. I had heard many a good thing about Fat Tire and I really wanted to enjoy the 22oz in front of me, but the subdued taste and weak body kept me from liking it as much as I had hoped.

11-11-2007 02:17:29 | More by Reanimator
hellcatsjg

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Medium amber color with a finger and a half of fluffy white head. Active carbonation lasts for a good while after the pour. Small amount of lacing as you go.

Smell: Toasty malty smell. Along with a sweet caramel aroma. Very nice.

Taste: The best word that describes this beer is "biscuity". Slightly sweet and very yeasty and malty. Not the most complex flavor, but what there is is very nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good thickness. Carbonation lasts for a while. Very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very high. This beer has a great flavor, and is something that I could drink several of. Wish I had more than the single bottle that I just drank. Very good beer.

10-30-2007 02:54:20 | More by hellcatsjg
nosbocaj

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a small white head and a decent amount of lace.
S: Smells of caramel, bready yeast, and malts.
T: Very malty and bready taste. Leaves a distinct aftertaste. Very unique for an Amber.
M: Medium/Light bodied beer with a high amount of carbonation.
D: Fairly high. It's not the best tasting Amber, but I'd definitely take one in a pinch.

10-29-2007 06:24:24 | More by nosbocaj
smurphy77

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Picked up a six pack of this near S.F. when I had nothing else to do. Over the course of a few days my opinions swayed a bit, but overall this is a nice beer that is most definitely drinkable. It has a reddish amber color and a thin head. Taste was what varied, ranging from nice roasted malty slightly bitter slightly sweet complex concoction to eh that's nice but not interesting. Weird that one six pack could have such a spectrum of tastes.

I had this on draft a while back and loved it. Too long ago to review now, but the bottles in no way compared to the keg experience.

10-27-2007 00:57:32 | More by smurphy77
champ103

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Orange/amber color with a small white head, decent carbonation, and a good amount of lace on the side.
S: A little one dimensional. A lot of malt some hops, and maybe a hint of some other spices.
T: Bread/biscuit malt with some nutty flavors and hops. A very distinct flavor that I like a lot.
M/D: A light to medium body and medium carbonation. Not bad at all. A session beer through and through.

How do I sum my thoughts up without ranting? I will try and keep this short. This beer is considered a stepping stone into the craft beer scene, and many people think it is an over-hyped beer. I spent a summer camping in Montana in 2005. Fat Tire, Moose Drool and some local micro's were all we drank. I loved it then and after many years of trying many other styles, I still find it very good.

10-25-2007 21:20:33 | More by champ103
likestoswallow

2.8/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From 22 oz bottle. Pours a rich copper-gold with an off white head that foamed up furiously then promptly disappeared. Aroma was very light malt. Flavor was mild with a distinct nuttiness--pistachio and peanuts in a semisweet backdrop. Hops and carbonation were undeveloped and weak. Mouthfeel was thin and less than fulfilling. Finish was short. Not likely to drink again, this beer tasted like it was specifically crafted for weak beer fans--and that is not me.

10-23-2007 04:44:22 | More by likestoswallow
MMAJYK

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

A- Copper/Orange transparent beer. Head is bright white, and thin. Goes away in the first few minutes for the most part. A thin film does stick around for the duration.

S- Smells of butter, almonds, caramel, nuts in general. I also pick up some biscuity aromas like homemade biscuits. I do pick up some sour yeasty smells too.

T- Taste of smooth, but burnt, nuts. Alot like the smell dictates. Smoky, woodsy, and yeasty. Finish is somewhat dry.

M- Mouthfeel is quite thin, but is decent. Nothing sticky, but definitely goes down good. I would call it low to mid carb. Just a little watery for my liking.

D- Very drinkable beer. Light on ABV and unique taste. Likeable and good. I will have to make another trip to the midwest sometime and pick more of this stuff up to bring back in my luggage.

This is one of the most talked about session craft brews and I can see why. It has enough distinctability to be a great craft brew and the drinkability to appeal to almost any beer drinker. Great job guys, keep up the good work.

10-22-2007 21:36:08 | More by MMAJYK
bboven

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper color, clear with great head and lacing.

Super-biscuity, with a little yeast character that really is different for this style. Subtle stale hops.

Roasty and sour , very bready.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and over-carbonated for the style.

It's good, but for such a hyped-up beer, I dunno.

10-18-2007 03:58:45 | More by bboven