Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
demcorhip

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

A nice, clear brew, somewhere between bronze and amber in colour. Nice two finger off white head formed on a fairly aggressive pour, with nice retention. Fairly mild and finely carbonated.

Bread, caramel and toast from the malts. Pleasant yeastiness, hints at apple. Somewhat surprised at the subtle hopping, with just a kiss of citrus blossom. Flavours much like the nose, no major surprises here, bready and toasty malts with a hint of caramel and melanoidin. To avoid repetition it tastes much like it smells.

Creamy yet finishes dry, slightly wet yet still astringent. Essentially light bodied, with decent malts and some complexity provides for some substance. Subtly hopped, a pleasant surprise, yet there is enough there to provide for some balance in this malt forward brew.

A tasty and very drinkable brew. Its quality and craftmanship reveal themselves in this interesting, tasty, approachable and sessionable brew. This would make for an excellent crossover brew, and I suspect that this is the main reason for its popularity. I'll be bringing this to more than one summer family gathering.

Note that this tasting was done with the beer slightly warmer than the recommended 7C, and was likely done with a 10-12C brew due to my impatience and suspicion that drinking it slightly warmer would reveal any deficiencies, none of which were noted.

01-30-2008 01:28:30 | More by demcorhip
davidt

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours amber-gold with a creamy white head. Lots of lacing left after the head drops off. Aroma is yeasty bread. Flavor is very bready, faint caramel in the malt background. I get just a bit of hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy with moderate carbonation. A sessionable beer for a lazy afternoon.

01-29-2008 20:18:11 | More by davidt
mnstorm99

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Clear orange amber pour with a decent white head that sticks around pretty well.
Faint aromas of sweet malts and PNW hops.
Taste is a nice amber, malty sweetness with a touch of roasted and toasted malts.
Mouthfeel is well carbonated, but I found it a little thin.
I have been critical of the hype this beer gets, but this is a solid beer and with it's availability we almost always have some around.

My wife calls it her new "Miller Lite", now that she won't drink Miller anymore.

01-29-2008 13:25:36 | More by mnstorm99
Greggy

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance: Poured into my chalice glass, I got a nice 1.5 finger head, that receded rather quickly into a thin lace. The lacing on the glass wasn't ovely impressive but it remained in suspension. The beer had a light copper color and nice clarity.

Smell: Not a ton going on in the nose department but I did pick up some light caramel, a distinct breadiness/biscuit, an uber light hopiness and some malt. I was expecting more, to be honest.

Taste: A very light bready or biscuit tast lingers on the palette but isn't identified, by me, in the initial sip. There wasn't much I could pick out of the taste as it seemed rather 2 dimensional.

Mouthfeel: Smooth feel and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: In Minnesota, these are only available in 22oz bomber bottles. So drinkability for me means, 22 oz at a time. It is ok and beasts out any macro you throw against it, but I could easily think of many other brews to drink intead of it.

Notes: I found this to be quite over-rated and I was quite shocked. This is pretty popular stuff in Minnesota but I think it may be because of the demand giving it some real hype that, in my opinion, it didn't live up to.

01-28-2008 01:22:39 | More by Greggy
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is copper with good carbonation. The head is 2 fingers, white and leaves some lace.

The smell is light citrus hops and some malt, some lemon and orange peal.

The taste is ok, a lot of citrus comes out over the malt, the toasted malt is good yet get out shown by the fruity notes.

The mouthfeel is good, just lighter then medium body and ok carbonation.

The drinkability is good, refreshing and drinkable, but not a brew I would go out of my way for. MK

01-28-2008 00:02:02 | More by MuenchenerKindl
athensbeermaster

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

A light red amber color with a small tan head that dissapates quickly. The nose brings a fruity, yeasty quality that ends in a fresh grain fade. Light body with just enough malt and a zesty mild hop sting. The finish ends with a fresh baked bread taste with a hint of honey. This american session ale can convert even a bud drinker. Very easy to drink several in a row.

01-25-2008 03:24:20 | More by athensbeermaster
daledeee

Iowa

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

This pours a medium brown color. The head is very nice and stays around, thus the good appearance rating.

The nose is less appealing to me. It is some sort of a grassy malty odor. The beer smells fresh just not appealing to me.

The taste is equally balanced between malt and hops. Good carbonated bite. The drawback is that this is kind of watery. This also affects the mouthfeel. Overall pretty enjoyable beer.

01-24-2008 03:19:45 | More by daledeee
abedenbaugh

South Carolina

Since they dont distribute to SC I was lucky to be able to taste a few of these beers while I was out in Colardo skiing.

A:There is a clear filtered amber color. It is very carbonated and has a nice white head.
S:There is a nice malty sweetness to the beer. Also there is a mild fresh hop aroma.
T:There is a very nutty flavor to the beer. The flavor is pairs very well with the rest of the beer. There is some complexity from the hops. On the mid-palate there is some sweetness. Also I noticed some mild fruitness.
MF:Light body.
D:Very easy to drink. There is a light mouth feel so it is easy to drink a few. Also the flavor is not too aggressive, which makes for easy drinkability.

01-22-2008 02:13:20 | More by abedenbaugh
Gmann

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Based off my notes from my LA trip. Pours a clear copper color with an average head that dissipated into a nice cap. The smell is rather disappointing; some light toasted malt. The taste is of toasted malt, roasted peanuts, and a light floral hop in the end. The feel is light but not watery and finishes well balanced. A solid amber brew with some nice toasted/roasted flavors. Good drinkability but I'm not exactly sure what all the hype is over this beer.

01-21-2008 04:45:13 | More by Gmann
JToad

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +10%

I had this a few times this week in Vegas, so I decided id review it.

It pours a copper color, with a nice head.

Smells of biscuit, very malty.

Lightly hopped, but done well. Tastes of biscuits and malt, with a tad bit of spice to it.

Good mouthfeel, not overly thin or too thick.

Drinkability is great on this, I could easily make this a session beer if it were available in Indiana.

Well my wife fell in love with Fat Tire, and my bosses wife who is a Coors Light drinker tried it and really liked it. Its nothing amazing, but a very solid offering that is a easy crossover.

01-19-2008 21:06:20 | More by JToad
biggmike

Mississippi

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured an attractive copper color with a generous white head that lasted throughout and left nice lacing around glass. Nice roasted malt aroma. The flavor was was toasty malt and biscuity with just a hint of hops. Tasted a lot like Abita Amber to me. Nice mouthfeel and high drinkability. Nice beer.

01-16-2008 11:23:59 | More by biggmike
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Best by March 7, 2008.

a: Clear amber with a thick and frothy cram colored head and good lacing.

s: Caramel, toffee, biscuity malt and floral hops.

t: Biscuity caramel malt, toffee, light hop bitterness in the finish.

m: Creamy with a crisp finish and medium body.

d: The flagship beer of the New Belgium Brewery, Fat Tire may not be their best beer, but it is an excellent crossover beer. A great introduction to craft brew in general and New Belgium in particular. Certainly quaffable, a great session beer.
Not too complex, but quite balanced.

01-13-2008 23:46:37 | More by BradLikesBrew
hoegaardenhero

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

the color is a nice copper but whatever minimal head immediately there was immediately dissipated. it smells of sweet malts and citrusy fruits as well as just a hint of hops. the taste is where this beer really starts to shine. it has nice toasted maltiness as the predominant flavor and then finishes with just a hint of hoppy bitter. it is nice and creamy and lightly carbonated and overall is a really good beer that is well balanced and highly drinkable.

01-11-2008 07:26:07 | More by hoegaardenhero
JDV

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Slightly malty, faintly sweet smelling. Good body, well balanced taste, and aftertaste, and quite easy to drink. Somewhat of a cocoa like chalky, toasty biscuity maltiness to it. Pretty decent beer, and definitely not what you’d expect from a traditional amber, but in a good, unique way. Nice beer.

01-07-2008 22:02:18 | More by JDV
Natural510

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Fat Tire is a well-established name here in California, tho its accessibility is next-to-naught outside of the Western US.
We pour it on-tap at my workplace, and it always gives a nice, creamy head. The color is a clear amber, with red overtones. Not much scent other than that of malt, but admittedly I usually taste this before I sniff.
The selling point of this beer is the roasting & toasting of the malts New Beligium adds to their signature brew. I personally can't get enough toasted malt in my beer, which is what keeps me coming back for more. There is some hop presence, enough to please purists, but not overpowering enough to keep this from being a great "session beer". The carbonation also sticks with it enough through the end of a pint to keep the first sip as enjoyable as the last.
All the NB products I have tried have been great, but keep coming back to the Fat Tire due to its exceptional drinkability & malt flavor...making this my go-to beer in bars & restaurants which don't go out of their way to please beer geeks like myself.

01-06-2008 21:30:35 | More by Natural510
elmore

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Had this beer on tap at Mayslacks in NE Minneapolis on a recent trip to MN. Had heard a lot about it, but never came across this brew in Cowtown, OH.

Came across the bar in a New Belgium Brewery Fat Tire snifter. A cool glass, wanted to lift it, but restrained myself. Translucent amber color with 1/2 finger head that rapidly receded. No lacing.

Not much in the way of nose. Very light malt and barely detectable hops.

Very light body, crisp, with a very dry after taste. A bit of bitter hops aftertaste.

Interesting beer, hard to think of something to compare it too. Nothing spectacular, but unique and would try it again.

01-05-2008 04:30:52 | More by elmore
tmitch75

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Beautiful copper color with thick foamy head which drops to a thin layer but leaves lots of lacing.

Smells malty with very little hop presence. Taste is the same with just enough hops to keep the malt from getting overpowering.

Nice creamy mouthfeel makes this a very drinkable beer... the ABV might not cooperate, but I could drink 12 of these right now!

01-05-2008 04:02:05 | More by tmitch75
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

4.65/5  rDev +29.5%

I have to admit, I was hooked from the get go on this one. This is the beer I get when I am in Texas. I really enjoy this one with a good juicy rare steak. By all means this one is my favorite beer of recent. I have tried the Abby that they offer but this one has blown my socks off.

12-30-2007 07:36:22 | More by skeetermoses
usmittymc

Mississippi

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Nice clear amber color with an slightly off-white head that lingers throughout the glass. Nice lacing.

S- Malt explosion. I cannot recall a maltier nose on a beer.

T- More sweet malt. Nice bready flavor that is offset nicely with a slight bitter hoppiness. Very flavorful beer.

M- Surprising, not too heavy or thick (syrupy?). I thought that the mouth would be heavier due to the maltiness, but was pleasantly surprised to find this brew had a crisp, clean finish to it.

D- Just makes me wish that New Belgium would open up the distribution to the "other half" of the country. But, perhaps that would take a little something away from this beer.

12-28-2007 23:39:26 | More by usmittymc
Upgrayedd

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Thanks to my wife for picking up a sixer while in Denver. We don't get any New Belgium offerings in Michigan. Well, I guess Fat Tire lived up to its hype. It was a bit paler than amber in color, and had a nice roasted chocolate aftertaste. The malt was fine and I really coundn't taste the hops, but their presence was detectable. One thing to note was that the first bottle was mildly carbonated (which I like), and the second bottle was a bit more fizzy (which I don't like).

12-28-2007 15:11:41 | More by Upgrayedd
GbVDave

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a St. Feuillian chalice.

A: Crystal-clear amber/gold color. Clingy, bubbly, off-white head that leaves quite a bit of lacey spots.

S: Toasted biscuits and some off-putting, funky smelling grains. Is that celery?

T: See above with some vaguely sweet caramel malt and a tiny bit of hops.

M: Dry and bitter. Some creaminess towards the finish.

D: As weird as this smells and tastes it is fairly drinkable. Of course, I can think of many other beers to drink before I'd ever come back to this...yawn.

12-20-2007 02:05:45 | More by GbVDave
jayfarley3

Nevada

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, pours a light amber color with a white head that dissapated fairly quickly. smell is slightly sweet and bisquity really not that strong at all. taste is of sweet malts and mild hops. mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. drinkability is very good.

12-17-2007 08:27:59 | More by jayfarley3
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Brought back a few of these from a motorcycle trip out west.

Pours a solid amber color with a fluffy white head that laces down the side of the glass. Smell is biscuit malt and floral hops. Taste is malty bready biscuity with a hop twang in the background. Full body with medium carbonation. Certainly a decent brew, wish I didn't have to drive so far to get it.

12-14-2007 01:15:42 | More by johnnnniee
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Big thanks to jasonjlewis for this bomber! Sampled it with my big brother along with DFH punkin and Stone's Arogant Bastard.

Orange golden ale pours with a beautiful head that refuses to dissipate quicky (must be a NB thing, the abbey was the same). Big malt biscuity and floral hoppy aroma's, flavor is the similar to aroma. Easy drinker, could gulp this down all afternoon!!!

12-10-2007 02:08:25 | More by bloberglawp
Jedimaster1

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

I had this one on-tap at the Roadhouse Bar & Grill.

A: An amber colored beer with lots of carbonation. A milky whitehead slowly dissipates as it is consumed.

S: Smell is not intense, but sweet malt can be whiffed throughout.

T: Sweet malt taste can be enjoyed throughout with a hint of hop flavoring. The carbonation also helps this one taste great throughout. This beer is definitely reminiscent of a belgian ale, but not as yeasty or having intense alcohol flavor.

M: Light and very carbonated. Not thick, but what you would expect from an ale.

D: Easily drinkable as the ABV is only 5.2%. A definitive, easy session beer.

I had this one in a bottle after I first moved back to the mainland. After hearing much hype form a close friend, I had to try it. I was not impressed during my first session with the beer. But as I gave it more time, I began to really enjoy it. It really grew on me. And now that I had it on-tap, I really can say this is a great brew and a good choice from those who are locked in a bar or restaurant who only sells the usual suspects. So much so, that when I finished my initial 16oz pint, I then ordered a 32oz to enjoy with the rest of my dinner.

12-09-2007 20:12:48 | More by Jedimaster1