Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +34.5%

A-Nice amber color. Finger width head that goes quick but leaves long lasting lacing.

S- Nice toasty biscuit smell. Very pleasant.

T- Excellent. This beer has a delicious finish.

M- Light/Medium

D- Its very hard for me to drink just one. Definitely sessionable. One of my favorite beers.

cvoss, Aug 14, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

this is another beer that i used to like, but totally ruined by trying a lot of other beers.

-amber obviously, but not much context. you can tell that it is made in huge batches. pretty good lacing though

-smells like tortilla chips...which isnt necessarily bad

-a decent, characteristic nutty taste

-its fine

-ok. again, i ruined this beer for myself which is okay by me

juhl31, Aug 13, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

22oz Bomber.... poured into pint glass.

A: Pale amber color with brownish copper tones. About 1-fingers with of head, that turns to a ring of foam that lasts thought out the session.... Very nice great lacing.

S: There is some crisp sweet fruit up front, like apples.... Then I'm getting a little caramel malt, little yeast and a lite hop note.... I'm feeling some Belgium feel in the smell

T: Wonderful balance of toasty malt, herbal hops, yeast with a touch of sweet fruit... Aftertaste has very nice toffee finish that is very clean...very nice... Not like other Amber Ales I've had... Nice change of pace.

M: Medium body, with a crisp, yet moderate carbonation. Clean and nice...

D: I had no problem going thought the bomber.... and could have done another one.... Very drinkable...

It is my first New Belgium Brew and I like it... Got to try more.

mralphabet, Aug 13, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

A clear light amber body with a small white head that doesn't have impressive retention or lacing.

Smell has caramel sweetness and some hop bitterness.

The malt bill rules here, with caramel and some lightly toasted malt taking the forefront. A bit of hop bitterness in the back end, and maybe a touch of sourness throughout.

Light, moderate carbonation.

It's hard to believe I've never tried this beer before, but this was the first time. Fairly drinkable, decent beer. Seems like Yuengling for those who can't get Yuengling, which is a good thing.

Hojaminbag, Aug 13, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pale copper with a thin white head. That quickly receded.

S - Smell is of sweet malts with a toasted hint. Not much hop character in the nose.

T - There is initially some hop character that is quickly supplanted by the sweet malt tones. Caramel hints as well as some almond flavors, very flavorful but more towards the malt side than the hop side, which is fine by me.

M - Crisp and refreshing. Light bodied.

D - Excellent.

JoEBoBpr, Aug 13, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours light copper color with a thin white foam head that leaves a bit of scattered lace.

S- Some biscuity caramel malt and toasted grain scents. Not much in the hop department.

T- Lots of grain and malt sweetness. Biscuit and faint oatmeal flavor with plenty of tannin like dryness.

M- Light/medium body with ok carbonation.

D- Easy feel that would make a good cross over beer.

projectflam86, Aug 07, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured to a nice head that was offwhite in color. Brew itself was a golden copper color. Left some damn good lacing with each swallow. Head hung around a while. Smelled slightly sweet. Also notes of malt. Tasted of biscuit and malt. And some hints of chocolate. Had a slightly bitter aftertaste. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was about right. I dont think I would like to make this a session beer. Not that I had anything against it, I just dont think it was my thing.

youngleo, Aug 06, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

This poured clear, dark gold with some off-white head. It smelled like roasted barley with some faint copper hops and bready yeast. It tasted like rich barley malt, with some copper hops and bready yeast. It was slightly thick with some carbonation, and had a mild malty aftertaste. Overall it was clean and easy to drink, but not terribly exciting. I really don't understand any hype surrounding this beer. It had a nice malty taste and good body, but it was generally quite boring. A solid example for the style, but I probably won't buy it again.

Pencible, Aug 06, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

A - One of the best looking beers I have poured in a while, very clear bright amber color, good carbonation, the head is very fluffy and takes on some of the amber color of the beer. Would look very inviting next to the fireplace in the winter.

S - Has a sharp hoppy smell which turns into a toasty smell. Good.

T - Tastes bitter and sharp on sipping, once it lingers for a moment the toasty biscuity flavor mentoned by others appears. The aftertaste at first is quite hoppy, but after a minute leaves the biscuit flavor. I liked it a lot, but being a fan of malt will help you enjoy this beer.

M - Crisp, refreshing, carbonated, not syrupy.

D - I was suprised that a beer with such a malty flavor would sit so easily on the stomach. Definitely sessionable.

MattyDonny, Aug 05, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Purchased a bomber of this stuff.

Poured a medium amber color with a nice fluffy 1 1/2 finger head. Head slowly went down. Had a nice nutty and hoppy aroma with slight malt smell. Initial taste for me were the hops but not a huge punch like u find in a IPA. good hop flavor in this amber ale. This was followed by a nutty/cinnamon/chocolate finish. The ending taste of this beer is very complex. Very nice amber ale that gives you lots of flavor and is easy to drink.

To me it was similar to Boston Lager with less of a hop taste.

aval89, Aug 05, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

Well I came across this beer at my better half's twenty year High School Reunion. One of her "clasmates" - afterall do you call them classmates after twenty years?? brought this in as an auction item to help raise money for the next reunion.

I bid $16 and ended up giving $20 for the Twelve Pack of cans.

Afterall being a Mountain Biker who could resist Fat Tire Amber Ale?

Appearance - kind of dark amber gold.. probably hence the "amber ale" title. DOH in my best Homer Simpson Voice.. I give it a 4.0 which is good.

Smell - hmmm.. its a crisp smell, if that makes any sense. Clean also... most of the Hoppy beers I drink do not impress me, but this.. hmmm I give it a 4.5.

Taste - Exceptional... currently in WV, Yuengling is all the rage.. this blows Yuengling out of the water - and at 5.2%. With the recent passage of the State's Craft Beer Law, I hope I find some places that start aqcuiring this beer.

Mouthfeel - I'm not sure I understand this quality. But holding it in my mouth, it feels crisp. Not like a cold Domestic, but not creamy like a Guinness. I can feel the carbonation. I like it. Good

Drinkability - I'm going with Exceptional, because I'm having a hard time saving two of these for my friends. This is excellent beer. I'm going to have to find more. (note I did save two for my pals)

BottleOfPills, Aug 05, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +17%

I thought that by coming to Denver, I would have no problem finding this beer in a CAN. It turned out to be my quest for the great white whale. It existed, but just out of my grasp. I finally scored a sixer and have some for CAN-only trades.

I had just done a warm-up with Breckenridge Amber, but this is the gold-standard for an Amber beer. Let's see.

My bartender's pour created a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with good retention. The color was a really bright orangish-amber, translaing to NE-quality clarity. The nose was biscuity malty and I am so glad that someone explained that phrase to me. Again, this was the standard bearer for the style. Mouthfeel was medium and although the CAN mentioned "Toasty malt flavors in tandem [(har)] with hoppy freshness", I simply got the malt. This was eminently drinkable, especially in the amber style. The finish was smooth and slightly dry. I do not miss the sugary sweetness of some CANned beers which I have reviewed.

Shore/Beach: If you CAN find it, hell, yeah! It was an elusive beer in my estimation, but once I found it, I was glad that I had. Ten Fidy is NOT coming wih me to the Jersey shore!

woodychandler, Aug 03, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

on tap at a non beer destination bar. served in one of those 14ounce "pint" glasses.

A- this one pours a clear ruby colored body with a small off white head on it. the head sticks around for a while and leaves spotty lacing on the sides of my glass. several small bubbles of carbonation can be seen racing to the top of the glass.

S- very malt forward. lots of biscuit. more than i have smelled in a beer before. bready malts also. not much in the way of hops.

T- once again, lots and lots of biscuity malts. some bread and caramel in here too.

M- light to medium bodied with a high level of carbonation.

D- in bars with a very small beer selection ill probably opt for this. cant have too many of them though.

jwinship83, Aug 03, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can into clear pint glass. No freshness date.

A: Typical burnt amber with creamy 2-finger light tan head. Good retention and some lacing stretches up and down the glass.

S: Aroma is light caramel malts, herbal hops, and mildly metallic.

T: Flavor is on par with when I have had this above-average brew before. Plenty of caramel malt complexity with herbal and lightly floral hops note. No metal in the flavor thankfully.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy, but I always wish this beer had more body. Aftertaste is caramel malts with a light mineral note.

D: A nice package for those out on the trail or in a boat fishing or floating down the river. Fat Tire is a good not great beer -- cans of Dale's Pale Ale knock this one down the order a bit.

argock, Aug 02, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a dark golden to amber with orange hues and a fluffy white head that good-naturedly dissipates to a sticky white lacing.

Aroma of biscuit, sweet malt such as toffee or caramel highlight this amber ale.

The palate offers even more biscuit malt and toffee sweetness with just a hint of the advertised hoppy freshness at the finish; regardless this is certainly a malty example of the style.

Medium in body and carbonation, slightly chewy and biscuity, but not quite in the equilibrium one may expect.

Overall, this is a good brew, and the low abv makes it great for session drinking. Nothing over the top, and nothing too aggressive.

CHADMC3, Aug 02, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Hadn't had this beer for but had heard lots about the brewery and also that this beer was one of their more widely spread but not as good. This beer reminded me of Sam Adams and it's considered as such by people who drink it. It's the one micro from among the selection of domestics and foreigns. Good flavor, decent mouthfeel, color and carbonation but no better than a sam adams, brooklyn or sierra nevada.

david18, Aug 01, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had Fat Tire through the years, but never got around to reviewing it. Received it in a trade during a Beer Exchange at work...

Appearance: Pours a very clear amberish red with a finger of loosely packed medium head. Lots of bubbles rising quickly to the surface and tons of orangish light pours through this beer. Leaves some great bright white lacing down the sides of the glass. Awesome initial appearance.

Smell: Bread, grains, and toasted malts highlight the nose. Not much going on besides those three scents.

Taste: Very bready and biscuity. The malts are almost overdone, but based on my past experiences with this beer, they seem just right. A slight tinge of bitterness on the back end, but this is malt-bomb through and through.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp and refreshing. When you're looking for a light and flavorful summer brew, this has to be in the running.

Drinkability: This used to be more drinkable for me. Now, it definitely has the 1-2 beer potential, but anything beyond that, and the malts and breads become overbearing.

COBeerBuff, Aug 01, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

A-clear burnt orange amber with dense ivory foam. Great retention and a tight matrix of spit bubble lace.

S- mild toasty grains and some plum banana grapefruit.

T- mild and very fresh toasty grains,woodsy, some burnt caramel some chocolate, fruity grapefruit and pine hop, very mellow w a toasty finish.

MF- mid body, prickly mid carbonation, dry and grainy.

D- refreshing m thirst quencher, I could put back a few of these.

hustlesworth, Jul 31, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Since Fat Tire seems to be the new SA BL as in it's becoming ubiquitous I figured I may as well review it.

A- Pours a nice reddish gold color with an off color white head.

S- This beer smells all malt, mainly biscuity.

T- Tastes exactly like it smells, biscuity and malty. No hop character to be found.

M- Decent mouth feel, nothing special. Thin taste, not too much going on here.

D- This is quite a drinkable beer. Mainly because it is very mild, nothing overwhelming in any aspect.

This is the definition of status quo, nothing bold, nothing bland.

pmccallum86, Jul 30, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

The strong aroma on this prepares you for hop and malt overload. Luckily it's all for nothing and while the taste is well balanced, it is not too much. It is flavorfull, but does taste slightly watered down. Good looking frothy head that lasts a little while and leaves some lacing on the way down. I enjoyed this beer but probably will not buy again. Cheers.

flaminghomer, Jul 27, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Good beer. The colder the better with this one (even though the label says different). It has a nice unique toasty taste. It has a good balance of flavors. Amber in color and a bit sticky, but light enough to were you can defiantly kick back a few of these with no problem.

OttoPeeWee, Jul 25, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Served on tap at a local bar. Clear amber color. Came with a 1.5 finger head, never completely fell, decent lacing.

S- No the most complex smelling beer, slight Belgian maltieness.

T- Slight hoppy taste up front. Sweet malt, not huge, but enough to get some Carmel and dark fruit flavors.

M: A decent amount of carbonation. Medium body.

D- This beer is a decent Belgian amber. I'll drink it but wont seek it out.

DwnTwnBwn, Jul 24, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a golden amber with a medium four-finger head with decent retention and nice lacing. Aromas of hops, bread, malt, cherries, cedar, apples, and sugarcane. Mild flavor with malty undertones and a little bit of pineapple. Disappointingly non-complex. Slightly sweet with a nice smooth mouthfeel. Has a lot of drinkability but lacks complexity.

jballeng, Jul 24, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

my lovely girlfriend picked up a bomber of Fat Tire for me.

Fat Tire Amber Ale pours nice clear orange color with a light tan rocky head that leaves moderate lacing and kept its collar throughout

smells of sweet caramel, not much else.

taste is sweet, slightly fruity, with caramel and doughy tastes in the malt. a light, floral hop note rounds out the end. ends with a slightly toasty malt note.

mouthfeel light, overly carbonated.

easily drinkable and quite refreshing, but not a challenge to the palate. light on any boldness in flavor, this is a very subtle amber ale for the masses. one of my favorite 'crossover' beers, though.

vdread, Jul 22, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured with a small, off-white head that diminished very quickly. Body was clear and amber-colored. Aroma of light malt. Light and mostly thin-textured on the palate, with average carbonation. Good flavor of roasted malt, with an average duration. Overall it's a fine beer that goes down extremely easy... but pretty much just like so many others of its style.

berley31, Jul 21, 2009