Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

I have to start off by saying that breweries like New Belgium are what make America a great brewery country and allows typical BMC drinkers a gateway to the exotic (as long as you are west of teh Mississippi)

A-Murky orange amber body with thin carbonated head.

S-Raw grist grainy smell. A bit rough around the edges. I would have loved to see a big yeast punch come through, but this is the crowd pleaser that made them who they are today.

T-The rough, unbalanced grain makes a little way for the maltiness to come through. A residual sweetness leaves a full finish.

M-I understand that everybody loves this beer in Colorado, but it is like Spotted Cow of Wisconsin. The flavor is safe and the body is full with little hop bitterness.

D-Put it this way, it is a very nice beer, but if I was in Colorado at a bar that had other Colorado greats on tap, this one would be passed by (but that is just my dislike for this style of beer.)

06-16-2007 22:09:03 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
McStagger

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Can't get this beer in good ole oklahoma, and recently took a road trip out west. This beer is a must have if you're west of the Mississippi (and don't live in Biblevania). Great when skiing.

A: Pours out a light amber with a definite red/orange tinge. Much higher clarity than expected. Head pours out half an inch and dissipates quickly. Head is an off white with a slightly reddish tint. Carbonation rising to the top is fairly minimal.

S: Definite roasty toasty notes with a little bit of coffee and bread that has been slightly burnt. This is followed by a sweetness that is accentuated with the hops in the brew.

T: Not a whole lot of flavor up front. Mid palate has the beginnings of slightly cripsy biscuit minged with a little sweetness. This alludes to the finish, which is full out biscuit deliciousness. A slightly burnt biscuit, at that. The hops in the beer don't reveal themselves until the latter part of the finish, in which they intermingle with the burnt biscuit that has quickly come to dominate this beer. Not overly complex, but a delicious flavor.

M: The carbonation is actually quite prevalent in this beer. The beer is much cripser than one would guess when looking at the color. The carbonation is also slow to disspiate after the current mouthful has been drank.

D: The CO2 dominated mouthfeel inhibits the drinkability of this otherwise great beer. Some drinkers may be offset by the overall roasted and even burnt taste this beer exhibits, but for those that like their breakfast baked goods a little on the toasty side, this beer is heaven. Bottoms up!

06-16-2007 05:49:12 | More by McStagger
TPSReports

Alabama

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

I had the opportunity to sample this brew at the brewery in CO. It was poured into a 4 ounce glass along with several other samples (different glasses fortunately).

It pours a rich golden brown/amber color. The nose is very distinct, fresh bread, dough, biscuit or crackery could all be used to describe it.

The taste is nice and rich -- not fully Belgian, but delcious nonetheless. This is not a hoppy beer. The beer feels nice on the palate, and is not overly carbonated.

It is very drinkable -- a dozen or so in a sitting would be nice over a long afternoon or evening. It's not really a golf course beer, but I had a couple during a round.

I certainly wish this beer was available East of the Mississippi River.

Cheers.

06-15-2007 02:51:26 | More by TPSReports
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Very clear burnished bronze in colour with a big fluffy white head. Lacing in abundance. Looks pretty good.

Biscuits or crackers? Unique malty aroma that manages not to seem sweet. Something a little yeasty, and some herbal aromas. Interesting.

In the taste, the biscuits are lightly toasted and have a little caramel on them. A semi-sweet flavour through most of the mouth. Hops are there, not overdone, but notable, well in balance. Hard to pin down one word to describe the hops.

Smooth, medium body, the carbonation works just right to keep this an easy drinker. Fairly dry, it leads to the next sip quickly.

As far as ambers go, this one really suits my tastes. I can't think of many beers that are more drinkable than this. Big thanks to orrshow for leaving me a bomber of this to try.

06-13-2007 04:26:24 | More by elricorico
moyalva2003

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

I just had it tonight. I went to 7-11, they didnt have Guinness so i decided to try the *NEW* Flat Tire Amber they had since I'm a big fan of darker beers. It was okay, it did taste 'bread-y'. It was good, and smooth, it is a above average beer. I drank 4 of them bad boys and i will be sleeping good tonite. This beer is 4th my choice of beers to select from THAT 7-11. This beer did not make my top 5 beers but its worth a try. 7.4/10

06-10-2007 08:27:59 | More by moyalva2003
Cascadia

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -29.5%

Well, I gotta say, I just don't like Ambers. The Fat tire amber ale is very common out here, and lots of my friends drink it regularly. In fact, that's where I had my last one, at a friends house.

Color is good, nice dark amber. Smells wheaty and grainy with a little hop. Tastes blands to me, not much in it to get me going, but like I said, I don't really like ambers. Mouthfeel is flat. Not a beer I will be looking to drink more of.

06-09-2007 19:08:36 | More by Cascadia
BeerBelcher

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

This was an "import" from Illinois, as we don't have this brand here in WI. I had once when out west a few years ago, but with its rise in popularity, I wanted to revisit it to see what the fuss is about it. And I must say I don't get it. First, I don't understand the terminology of a "Belgian style" amber. The beer is OK , but I've certainly had better amber ale's (in recent memory - McTarnahan's, for example). Recommended for the curious, but not for anyone else.

Appearance was indeed amber, with good "Belgian" lacing. Aroma was faintly malty, but not distinctive. Flavor was roastier than I would've expected, but as it warmed it had a malty sweetness that I didn't expect and didn't reall feel fit with the rest of the beer's flavor. Mouthfeel was nothing special (good or bad), but this beer struck me as one you could drink quite a bit of, if you really liked the way it tastes (I'll pass).

06-02-2007 03:12:36 | More by BeerBelcher
josiahschlender

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The 12oz bottle says it expires August of 2007, poured into a pint glass.

Color is a burnt orange, not much red and very clear. Smallish head dissipated pretty quick.

The beer smells mostly of the roasted grains. I agree with the consensus, bready, slightly sweet, just a tiny bit of herbal hops is discernible.

I noticed a slight citrus taste at the front of my mouth in addition to the sweet, bready malt that doesn't change as I swallow and experience the aftertaste. It's very straightforward without much complexity. Just a tiny bit of hops tasted at the end.

Mouthfeel is clean to me, creamy and refreshing. Nothing unpleasant, but still not leaving any striking memories.

I remember thinking Fat Tire was more memorable than this. My tastes have matured some, and I'm realizing it's just a refreshing, straightforward, accessible quaff that's easy to put down.

05-29-2007 09:40:41 | More by josiahschlender
HaVoKnYnJ

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On a recent trip to Denver, I had the opportunity to sample and resample Fat Tire repeatedly, it being something of a family favorite. Straight from the bottle or poured into a pint glass in a restaurant, no matter what, this beer is the real deal. Malty, smooth taste, finished with light crisp hops that compliment, rather than compete with the malts. Dark amber color, slight frothy head (in the glass), great aroma. This is definitely one of my new go-to's...provided I'll be able to find it on the east coast.

Put this beer this way: My dad is a Coors Light/Busch kind of guy. He swears by those two beers (though he has been known to go for a guinness or a Honey Brown on occasion). He loves this beer. This, to him, is beer exploration (which he isn't the biggest fan of, unlike my brother and I) at its best. So if you know someone who's not a huge fan of branching out, buy them a Fat Tire. They just might thank you for it!

05-27-2007 15:23:17 | More by HaVoKnYnJ
choyhosoi

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

A good beer to try when you feel like you want something different. This has a nice dark amber color to it with a caramel scent there is also a nice foam but mind you there is not bitterness here. You could probably get a 6 and call it a night depending on your tolerance.

05-27-2007 13:24:53 | More by choyhosoi
rm0312

Idaho

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

From the bottle into a shaker glass - Pours a light golden color. Aroma is malty and maybe some caramel as well. Flavor is also malty with some hoppiness. This is one of my standbys when I don’t want to spend too much extra on a gourmet beer. Currently comes by the case for about $28 in Coeur d’Alene’s Costco.

05-22-2007 20:22:59 | More by rm0312
dgallina

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

22 ounce brown bomber dated best-before July 27th 2007.

Pours transparent copper with three-quarters inch of white head plus light lacing. Smells like sweet biscuit malt with a bit of caramel and fresh green hops. Flavor features gently toasted sweet caramel malts with balancing leafy hop notes. Crisp, too-light, and over-bubbly body. Not a lot going on here, but the beer is clean and quite refreshing on a hot day. A decent entry level beer for beginners and a good lawn-mower drink for the rest of us.

05-16-2007 02:17:12 | More by dgallina
halfassedjedi

4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

my girlfriend loooves fat tire..shes a consistent gin and tonic conniseur, but this is just about the only beer she will drink. i decided to pick some up tonight and i dont regret it.

i cant get over the smell and taste of this beer. just like the label says, its nice and biscuity. good malts and hops. i remember when i first had it it reminded me of burnt toast. almost like a burnt wood scent would taste, if you can imagine.

ive grown to really enjoy this beer. good if youre looking for an interesting drink.

05-13-2007 06:05:50 | More by halfassedjedi
cdkrenz

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Six Pack
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - Pours in a pale redish gold flow. The 1/2 inch head stays for a minute or so before leaving a whispy cloud of white at the surface. The caronation appears to have faded as only a few bubbles rise to the top.

Smell - There is a hoppyness to the scent craeting a bitter aroma. It's a faint scent and needs to be inhaled deeply before really recognising it.

Taste - The taste is subtle until it reaches the back of my throat. It is bitter but the bitterness isn't too strong. It has an enjoyable flavor. It has the hoppyness of an ale while offering a hint of stiffness a red might throw at you.

Mouthfeel - There is really a softness to the feel of this beer. I'm not used to ambers with that kind of soft appeal.

~ All in all I have always enjoyed this beer. Whenever it's available in Central Wisconsin I take advantage. If you've never tried one, add it to your ToDo list.

05-12-2007 23:32:57 | More by cdkrenz
ngandhi

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

The amber ale is the hallmark of local beer. Malty enough to show the character of your region, but mild enough to demand immediate consumption before it goes dull. And, that said, Fat Tire might be just fine for Fort Collins, but it's a waste of shelf space in Chicago.

The arrogant allocation and labeling (try finding the "Chicago" bottling anywhere downstate) only emphasize how big of a sham this beer is. It doesn't belong here and now amount of packaging will change that.

Because this is not our red ale. Compared to the classic Bell's amber (which has sadly left Illinois) or New Holland's smoky Red Tulip, this is a boring affair--one more worthy to be chugged from the bottle than poured into a glass.

It's bready, lacks hops, and can't decide if it wants to taste like chocolate chips or Cherrios.

The beer's fine, but it aggravates me. Maybe because New Belgium's selection is so profoundly varied and complex. This is the cash cow--the brewery's throwaway beer--and I'm a chump for buying it.

Relax, relaxx.
ng

05-11-2007 02:12:26 | More by ngandhi
Photo of

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz. bottle

Clear, dark gold/amber color. Medium sized, creamy, ivory colored head.

Mild earthy scent. Caramel. Yeast & bread dough. Hops are AWOL.

Taste has coffee notes, but fairly mild. Overall, more sweet than bitter. Caramel. Not much hops, just a bit at the finish -- grassy/herbal.

Medium + in body. Medium carbonation. Overall, very refreshing.

Very easy to drink. Nice session beer. Not as balanced as I would like an amber to be, even given my hop preference.

05-10-2007 14:28:25 | More by
beveritt

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into a standard pint glass. The label has an old-style red bicycle, leaning against a tree. Listed as best before 01JUN07. I cracked this baby open with a Fat Tire goblet shaped bottle opener a friend gave me just today.

Appearance: Pours with a 1/2 inch almost white head. This settles very slowly into a 1/4 inch coating of dense foam with a ton of lacing. The beer itself is a medium amber and perfectly clear.

Smell: Slightly metallic, bready malt aroma.

Taste: A little toasted/burnt flavor upfront, in a pleasant way. Hops are not as present as I would have expected. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is excellent.

Drinkability: Very nice. A malty beer, just my style. I have heard a lot about New Belgium's flagship beer, so it is nice to finally try it.

05-07-2007 21:48:26 | More by beveritt
Cresant

Kentucky

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a DFH shaped pint. Dated best by: 13JUL07. Three fingers of off white head lingered on a clear amber body.

Smell was wet hay. Manure (?) in a positive, farmhouse kind of way. Husky grains after it warmed further.

Taste was honey doused biscuits. Sweetness up front turned to a mild bitterness with a relatively short finish.

Mouthfeel was smooth. Body was medium/thin.

05-06-2007 22:55:04 | More by Cresant
rmfyeah

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a standby when from the local supermarket with a bad selection.

A- One finger head that lacks retentions and translucent caramel color.
S- I actually love the smell of this beer. It smells floral and earthy at the same time. Hoppy sweetness.
T- Like it smells. I used to think the taste was like peanuts but I now associate that taste with biscuits, well, because thats a much better description. Hops and sweet, not too much of either. Too much of an alcohol taste for such a quenchable beer.
M- Decent- Crisp, well carbonated and slightly sticky
D- I like this beer when I can't get more serious craft beers. I love recommending it to friends who only drink the macro beers. Very sessionable, I find myself drinking one or two more of these than beers with more depth.

05-04-2007 00:31:09 | More by rmfyeah
dmamiano

West Virginia

3.05/5  rDev -15%

Deeo golden color with a nice two finger head that quickly goes away but the lacing goes on forever.
Good crbonation is eveident.
Mouthfeel seems to be very good...full, amost oily in feel.
Good balance between the malt and hops.
Very fruity flavor...no bitterness on the palate

05-03-2007 01:06:28 | More by dmamiano
mbutter1997

Nebraska

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I did this review of Fat Tire, it had been so long since my previous bottle, I had nearly forgotten just how good this beer is. It pours a light amber w/ ~1/2" of frothy head, maintains decent glass stick throughout the session. Nice aroma of toasty, caramel malts & matching tastes. Very smooth beer that has a bit of richness but is not overly thick. A real easy drinking beer that goes down way too easy. This was the first New Belgium brew that made its way to Nebraska, and my life is better for it.

04-29-2007 19:48:12 | More by mbutter1997
micahgoldfus

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Average amber appearance, light head that fades quickly. Rich smells of sweet malts, similarly to the taste. Taste is delicious: smooth and sugary (but not overly so), with a slight taste of citrus at the end. It's quite smooth, lightly carbonated, feels great to drink. Light enough to have many, but heavy enough to not taste watered down.

04-26-2007 16:53:03 | More by micahgoldfus
supercolter

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

This is your starter brew, folks. If anyone is resistant to craft brews, this is definately a step in the right direction. The taste is a bit weak and the appearance is that of a macro, but that is what you need. Smells very good, some quailty malt and very slight hint of sugar and hops. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy like hot cocoa. Very drinkable.

04-26-2007 02:40:27 | More by supercolter
cpn920

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

I had this beer while in California at the Yard House as well as at Riptide in Mission Viejo. I really enjoyed how smooth and light it was. I am extremely disappointed that it is not available anywhere near I live. It is definitely a beer that I would seesion with.

04-21-2007 19:43:42 | More by cpn920
Patrick999

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

I remember having this in Colorado several years back, and I can't get it in Florida, so upon figuring out that I could actually mail order beer, I ordered some stuff. Among that stuff was a couple bottles of Fat Tire.

Appearance - Pale amber, formative head, not much lacing.

Smell is pretty distinct for a lower alcohol amber ale. A spicy citric aroma, kind of like an orange spice tea.

Taste....oh yeah, I remember this. I was sitting at a bar in Boulder and had this with a cheeseburger, and thought it a distinctive taste. Kind of *tastes* like the air inside of a fat bike tire, if that makes any sense....and I actually don't mean that as a negative. Kind of a pleasurable chocolate and rubber mustiness, yes, it's all coming back to me. Rather unconventional...weird....but it works. Moderately alcoholic in the finish...I can actually taste some alcohol, which I also find odd for a 5.6% brew. Pairs well with grilled foods, salads, pretty much anything.

Mouthfeel is just right for this style.

Well, this is an oddball beer. This isn't going to be everyone's bag, but among its adherents (and I suppose I can count myself as one), this is very drinkable, and a nice session beer.

04-21-2007 01:50:02 | More by Patrick999