Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
tpd975

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

This is one I have many times without a review. Last night at a fantasy football draft the commish was proud that he had brought this one in for the guys. To be honest I was as well, since the typical beers offered are BMC.

A: Pours a murky amber brown hue with an average head. Some tinges of spotty lace are noted.

S: Huge malt aromas. Hints tons of biscuit and bread. Hints of caramel and dark fruit.

T: Malt to the max. Very biscuity with hints of caramel malt. Sweet summer fruits and a touch of brown sugar.

M: Medium in body and smooth. I think that may so many love this stuff.

D: I will be honest I drank six, not because I really like it, but it was the best being offered for the night.

08-27-2008 18:40:05 | More by tpd975
Cheers

Kansas

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Very drinkable beer with a strong biscuit flavor. All around a good beer, but it is missing any unique flavors that some beer drinkers search for and others try to avoid. As a result, this is a safe bet for an all around crowd pleaser at parties where you may encounter multiple tastes.

08-24-2008 20:11:11 | More by Cheers
tbeck

Washington

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured a clear, reddish-copper with a thin white head that remained. Aroma was malts, not overpowering. Taste was malty, a tad bit of sweetness and a bit of hops. No aftertaste but a lot of carbonation. Decent texture, on the thin side. Mellow taste and feel make this an okay beer to drink. I wouldn't mind drinking more of these because it is not very sweet.

08-22-2008 22:55:26 | More by tbeck
spointon

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into a pint glass.

A= This ale poured a clear orange-copper color with a 3/4" tan head. Moderate lacing down the glass.

S= Lots of malty sweetness in the nose, with strong roasty aromas and hints of fruit.

T= Lots of huge toasty, biscuity malt dominates the front end of this beer. In the middle I got faint hints of ripe orchard fruit and very mild hops. The finish was back to toasted malts.

MF= Medium bodied, with a relatively low carbonation feel.

D= The flagship brew of New Belgium, so naturally it is a simple one with appeal to the masses. Even so, a very drinkable ale that pairs very well with summer cook-out foods.

08-22-2008 00:03:48 | More by spointon
nrbw23

A- Pours a copper color with a nice white head that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Pretty weak here I could only pick up bready malts and maybe a tiny bit of fruit.

T- Overall pretty sweet. Caramel malts, bready and a touch of hops. Balanced well but not a whole lot going on.

M- Light to medium in body easy on the carbonation.

D- Easy to drink just not a whole lot going on here.

08-19-2008 08:38:34 | More by nrbw23
bilyboy65

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a BBD of 10/17/08, into a standard pilsner glass.

A: A light amber color with a fairly frothy white head. The head has staying power and made it through the entire glass. Left some nice lacing on the glass as well. Not a lot of film on the glass from the beer after a few swirls.

S: Smell is hoppy, with a mild sweet malty undertone. Kinda like maple syrup.

T: It is a balanced flavor. Not too hoppy and not too sweet. Nothing too intriguing either.

M: Mild carbonation tickles the tongue while the light/medium body of the beer flows.

D: Easily swallowed, but after a few it may get boring.

08-19-2008 03:29:12 | More by bilyboy65
meatmallet

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Copper color with a thick white head. Lots of lacing around my pilsner glass.

Smell: Smell is very sweet. Has a caramel aroma as well as malt and some biscuit aromas.

Taste: Taste is sweet up front with a bitter malt finish. A little dry.

Mouthfeel and drinkability: I love this beer and it has been a staple for me lately.

08-15-2008 23:05:33 | More by meatmallet
drxandy

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Got in trade thanks to Ben4881!!
12oz to standard pint, pours a golden amber brown, white head fades

smells nicely malty, very light hops, smooth, biscuity

tastes of nice roasty malts, almost porter-y, chocolate, slightly bready, hops are barely there but add a nice bitter finish, great flavor, a nice amber!

mouthfeel is crisp, carbonated, easy to drink and sessionable

08-11-2008 18:02:46 | More by drxandy
PatronWizard

Grabbed a bomber from some shabby local liquor store. Best by 15Feb08. Today is 10Aug08. Guess I shoulda looked before I leapt. Won't trust those bastards again.

Anyway I noticed as I poured that it was 6 months outta date, or if you prefer, and in this case I do, this particular bottle had been aged 6 months. How considerate.

So after the pour, I thought it was quite beautiful. Nice translucent copper shade of caramel. Thick white frothy head. Very tempting.

Smelled some kind of unidentified grain, wish I had the words, but it was pleasing.

Tasted like it smells. I like it. Very easy to drink, has a pleasing flavor. Maybe I'm just a mook who don't know better, but I swear I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. And hey, it's all about me anyway.

08-11-2008 00:38:05 | More by PatronWizard
mbrandon2w

Maine

4.13/5  rDev +15%

12 oz
Pours great-looking copper color. nice two finger head, fades, but leaves nice lace
Smell is buttery, toffee-ish, a little caramel and bread. Fairly complex and very nice
Taste is of grainy sweetness, with the bread flavors coming through. Touch of caramel sweetness at the end is cut nicely with some hops bitterness.
Mouthfeel is really nice, smooth and lightly creamy. Touch watery on the finish though.
Could drink this quite often, if I could get it.

08-10-2008 21:17:20 | More by mbrandon2w
dgriffis

Oklahoma

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer has a medium body, nice balance of hops to malt... the finish is roasty sweet. As you drink it down and it loses its chill it gets better, so cellar temp is optimum serve temp for this beer. very solid beer out of the bottle, but better on tap. I've got two hundred fifty characters to tell you that this beer is one you need to try if it is available to you, if its not you need to find it.

08-10-2008 20:48:08 | More by dgriffis
beerindulger

Tennessee

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Apperance is a darker amber color kind of like an old brass door knob with a nice head that lingers for a short while.
Smell is good kind of a bread or biscuity aroma with some lite fruit or honey mixed in.
Taste very drinkable with a little bite wich is gone almost as soon as you notice it and replaced with a smooth finish.
Mouthfeel bread like I guess that's from the malt not much hoppiness. Smooth in the mouth not much carbonation.
Drinkability Very drinkable but not anything to write home about fills you up fast also.

08-10-2008 20:22:56 | More by beerindulger
ckeegan04

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Crystal clear brownish-orange in color. Thick bubbly head with good retention and lacing.

S - Biscuity aroma with a somewhat faint smell of earthy hops. Something in the nose is a little off as well, almost smells like burnt grain.

T - Toasted malt taste; biscuity. Very light hop presence; earthy and spicy hops. The balance just does not line up and has a somewhat off flavor.

M/D - Medium bodied and very smooth. An easy drinker but not the best taste.

08-09-2008 19:13:27 | More by ckeegan04
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

On tap at Red Robin in Orange County,quite surprised,enjoyed this one,bright amber in color,whitish head and nice sticky lacing.Nose is of malts,some caramel and fruits,a tinge of spices.Tastes a mild sweet with the caramel/toffee flavor mild spices and the malts all blending in quite nicely,going down smooth and creamy and a little bitter towards the end with sweet hilites.Well worth trying and i'm looking forward to this one again.

08-09-2008 04:03:20 | More by GrimmReaper
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to russpowell for this one!

Best before 06Sep08:

Pours light amber with a thin off-white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of soft biscuity dough with light citrus. Mild.

The taste is biscuity. A slight bitterness balances a soft, almost toasty mild maltiness in the sweetish, pretty clean, finish.

Light-bodied and somewhat creamy.

Inoffensive, mild, biscuity. Not much to this one. Pretty mediocre overall. Not bad, but I can think of plenty other amber ales with more character.

08-07-2008 15:45:21 | More by jwc215
nrpellegrini

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

How could a brown ale be so good?
This was one of the top things I looked forward to doing/ trying on my trip from Baltimore to Las Vegas. The smoothest most flavorful brown ale out there. A lot of flavor but not enough to knock your mouth out. The constant head gives it a great aroma through the entire drink. Just the right amount of malt and hop flavors.

08-04-2008 04:21:01 | More by nrpellegrini
NatetheGreat

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

First time trying Fat Tire, I do really enjoy NB beers:

A: lighter than I expected, an orange-amber translucent hue with nice fluffy white head.

S: weaker aroma, some oily hops and doughy notes

T: very well balanced, spot on Amber Ale. Clean oily hops followed by bready, semi-sweet maltiness. Many have called it "biscuity" and I can see that. Very refreshing.

D: wow, this goes down like water...almost. It's very smooth, moderate carbonation, unnoticable alcohol, and with a pleasant taste, it's just really easy to knock back a few. Good beer, although NB had several stronger offereings. This would be a crowd pleaser even for people not familiar with craft beer.

08-04-2008 03:52:40 | More by NatetheGreat
diabecktic

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Apperance:
The color is a beautiful dark red/amber. The head formation and retention are moderate, but there is great lacing. It looks pretty appetizing (or whatever the liquid equivalent to that is).

Smell:
The aroma is quite sweet with a hint of bitterness. I'm not quite sure what the sweetness is due to (toffee?/orange?), but it somewhat resembles a freshly baked loaf of bread or roll. Either way, it's not a bad scent (even though I can't quite difinitatvely figure out what it is)

Taste:
This brew is quite sweet and not at all bitter. I know the smell is a bit bitter, but the bitterness is hardly present in the taste. Again, I can't quite figure out what the sweetness is due to, but I think it might be honey/malt.

Mouthfeel:
It feels quite light in the mouth. Bitterness is lacking, as is carbonation, but it still feels good before it goes down.

Drinkability:
This beer goes down incredibly smoothly and has a slightly creamy finish to it. It would be quite easy to chug; however, since it tastes pretty good, I wouldn't suggest doing so, (do whatever you feel, though).

Summary:
I suppose this beer is somewhat "legendary" - or at least worthy of something like a cult following (at least where I'm from). To me it doesn't seem exceedingly special, but it seems like a great beer to throw down if you're tired of the standard fare. Again, I'd advise against doing so since you really should appreciate the flavor and not merely try to get wasted (it's also a bit expensive for solely that).

08-04-2008 03:22:17 | More by diabecktic
Beefeater57

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

A: light copper color with a sudsy head, retained through each sip.

S: I get a lot of a fresh biscuit smell, and a nutty smell, like almond or cashew.

T: Very balanced, has a malt sweetness that is heavily characterized by the biscuit malt, and there is just enough hops to balance it out. Hops are noticeable but not overpowering. The toasty nuttiness is there, and I do enjoy the biscuit character. Definitely get the biscuit/nutty taste with this.

M: Not bad, borderline watery but still good. Carbonation levels are perfect.

D: I'm from Colorado, where Fat Tire is almost on kitchen sink tap, so I definitely have a great appreciation for this beer. One of my favorite beers to drink, and a great example of a balanced ale. Great malty sweetness with good hops. Always have them in my fridge, a truly delicious beer.

07-31-2008 23:22:14 | More by Beefeater57
EnojysAnyBeer

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

got a 650ml bottle and poured it into a small glass

A- The design on the bottle as well as the beer was excellent. Beer poured a nice dark amber color that reminded me of maple wood. Decent head with many different sized bubbles

S- Smells good with a sweet malt carried by a hint of fruits(mostly grape)

T- Tastes excellent with a balance of fond malts and a hint of fragrant hops and light fruits

M- Feels excellent with a smooth medium body and ample carbonation

D- Drinks good with a refreshing aftertaste

07-31-2008 04:20:47 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
HalfFull

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

From a 12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic glass. Pours a clear orange amber hue with a decent looking but short lived head. Lacing is well represented yet thin and fleeting.

Smell is overwhelmingly of hazelnut and burnt malts. Smells like Frangelico. This is a rather popular beer so I guess some people like that in a beer. I don't care for it.

Tastes of biscuity roasted malts. Medium bodied yet concludes with that roasted malt and nut flavor I so don't enjoy, and it is a bit thin. I call the drinkability average because I'm already numbing my taste buds. One thing this brew has going for it is the lack of over the top sweetness common in some ambers. Perhaps it could use a little more.

07-29-2008 04:54:49 | More by HalfFull
Choppr

4.13/5  rDev +15%

I live on the East coast, so this is not something I can easily get my hands on. I have heard from several of my fellow beer aficinado's that this is certainly a favorite out west, so when I got the chance to try it, I was all over it. I think I was expecting too much from it...

Beautiful amber color when poured into a glass. Very clean smell, almost sweet, and a solid head with small to medium sized bubbles/lacing.

Taste was a very nice balance of malt and hops... I think a relatively strong hoppy aftertaste compared to other ambers, but not at all unpleasant.

This brew goes down easy. Not too strong, so you don't have to worry about it sneaking up on you as you will be following it up with another, and another.

07-26-2008 23:45:10 | More by Choppr
FSUmac

Tennessee

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a 22 oz. ("Now Voluntarily available in Tennessee" edition) bomber into a pint glass....

Appearance:

Pours out a nice medium brown with a hint of red with a frothy white head. Nice lacing forms as well down the glass.

Smell:

I smell a sweetness from the malt, almost fruity, as well as definite yeast.

Taste:

Toasted malt, tastes like warm bread. A slight bitterness in the aftertaste, but not that much.

Mouthfeel:

Fantastic. So smooth in the mouth and goes down easy. Carbonation is perfect. Perfect score in this area for me.

Overall, this is a fantastic session beer. Not the best beer in the world and some would say overhyped, but I think it deserves all the praise it gets. Well balanced, sooo drinkable, and down right tasty. Bravo New Belgium.

07-26-2008 04:17:26 | More by FSUmac
THEBEERBAR0N

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into an American style pint glass out of a 12oz bottle. Provides a 1-finger white head which takes a little while to dissipate. There is decent lacing. The color is copper-amber-gold, and clear when held to the light. A little light in color actually I thought.

Smell is rich and malty- the chocolate malts definitely comes through with a lot of toasted biscuit. Hops are tucked away and come through somewhat earthy.

The taste is similar to the smell, with a lingering malty and somewhat phenolic tasting finish.

The feel of this beer is very nice, slightly slick and thick with a lingering chewiness on the palate.

Drinkability is a high, though a little malty in taste and feel compared to some other ambers, like Boont and Alaskan.

07-23-2008 22:00:24 | More by THEBEERBAR0N
wizzle

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

A "go-to" beer for many years. One that my dad, my wife, and I could all agree on and enjoy. Now that I am on the East Coast I find myself really missing it and comparing a lot of beers to it.
Ultra rich and flavorful without being thick or unctuous. Loads of malty sweetness and well-balanced hops. Close to perfection. A crowd-pleaser.

07-22-2008 19:06:28 | More by wizzle