Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +10%

Was able to locate a few bottles of Fat Tire while on vacation in Texas - bought a sixer and drank 5 of them. Definitely well worth the investment.

Appearance looks very nice (I never got a chance to pour it out of the bottle, so this is based on the bottle itself and what glimpses I could get from the action inside the bottle). Excellent head and retention inside the bottle though.

Smell is a bit tangy with hops, malts, and some other "bready" aromas that intermingle to create an overall pleasing aroma.

Taste is simply quite unique. I've never really had a beer before that actually tasted quite "biscuity". There's some real meat on the bones and it's got touches of malt and just a bit of hops at the end. I like the flavor of Fat Tire! But it's just a bit offbeat enough that I wouldn't always want this beer.

Mouthfeel was nice - really chewy, carbonated decently, and smooth for the most part. I didn't have any problems drinking this beer but it didn't make me want to gulp it like a fish.

Drinkability is excellent. I was able to use this as a session beer and also very glad to have found this beer. If I could get it in Ohio, I'd make it a part of my rotation but I'm unable to locate this without going to extremes.

Overall, excellent brew and I wish I could get it on a consistent basis at home.

xare, Jul 19, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear, golden amber. With a nice head that faded fast. There was plenty of carbonation at the start, but that did not last.

The smell was a little faint. Somewhat sweet, maybe apples. Also has a hint of bread.

Taste a little bready. Sweet from the malts. Slight bitterness at the end, but not much. Smooth, but not as flavorful as I would hope.

nem2006, Jul 18, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

I'm reviewing this after drinking fat tire for many years. I've even been to the New Belgium brewery, the highlight of my beer career. I'm a bit biased because my junior year of college Fat Tire taught me what beer could be.

Pours a clear amber with a rich white head.

Smells a bit malty, slightly bread like.

Tastes, wonderful.Nice and smooth and well balanced.

The mouthfeel is pretty great too, perfect carbonation and not too heavy.

I could drink this beer every day, it's the perfect beer to pick up when you want to drink beer just to drink beer.

mikejk305, Jul 18, 2008

A - clear amber color, with a frothy white head.

S - Pretty neutral aromas, bready with slight hops

T - Bready flavors dominate, with a slight hop bitterness.

M - Crisp, medium body with appropriate carbonation.

This beer is very well made, the flavors are all pretty neutral and bland compared to New Belgium's other beers. I think the can does improve this beer as compared to the bottle.

donaldchapman, Jul 14, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

picked this one up while visiting misery or missouri. poured a decent amba color into my glass with decent head and carbonation. the carbonation slowed and the head dissapated. decent smell of lightly roasted malts. tasted good but expected a bit more hop finish. some lacing down the glass. i would like a bit more hop finish and this would really shine.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

p.s. had this on tap a day after the bottle. same.

giblet, Jul 14, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +30.9%

New Belgium just dropped here in Tn and this is one of the 3 available brews thus far. I've really enjoyed the other 2 so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

This pours out a rich deep amber color with a huge fluffy head and plentiful carbonation. Shelves of lacing down the glass throughout.. Awesome!

Beautiful aroma of warm fresh baked bread, rich and malty backed with the faintest of hops. Smells very inviting..

Oh, man I'm in love here. Rich, malty deliciousness that reminds me of a loaf of warm fresh buttered loaf of bread. The richness of the malt tastes wonderful going down.

Ok, I've found a new favorite session brew in this. It pretty much everything I look for in a session brew...delicious, not too heavy, and goes well with anything.

Hooray New Belgium! Thank you for making it to TN!!

Tilley4, Jul 11, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

This was my first experience with this brewer and I must say I am quite impressed. Nice hops taste and mouth-feel with some complex flavors (chocolate?) and some caramel after notes. Fairly low on carbonation as evidenced by the thin head, but, tasty nevertheless. I am a fan of belgian ales, and while this really doesn't qualify (brewer's name non-withstanding), I find it to be highly drinkable in the same manner. Still on my first bottle, so this may not be sustainable, but, so far, a very enjoyable experience.

wdempster, Jul 10, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +15%

I don't know how many times I have had this beer. It is my drink of choice at the BBQ.

Consumed in a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep golden, almost auburn hue
Smell: Bread-like, low hop, almost sweet
Taste/Mouthfeel: classic biscuit beer flavor, not too sweet, high drinkability, taste like fresh baked bread with hops.

ClavisAurea, Jul 10, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +22.6%

This is one of the most unique beers I have ever had. I was impressed, it has a real biscuit or toast flavour to it.

I bought a 6 pack when I was on holiday in California, I really enjoyed it and only wish I could buy it here in Canada.

Having said how much I enjoyed this beer, I don't think I could drink more than two at any time. It does have a real rich flavour and was quite filling.

barleysandwich, Jul 09, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Fat Tire pours a crystal clear amber/brown with an off-white head that leaves lots of lacing on the glass. The smell has lots of caramel with underlying spicy/grassy hops. I also detected a hint of sulfur in there, that I wasn't too thrilled about.

The taste starts with light sweet malt followed by a bit of spiciness from the hops. Not much bitterness. Some nice breadiness on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-thing with medium-high carbonation.

This is a pretty good drinker, though nothing that will blow your socks off.

Spidey13, Jul 07, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a clear medium orange color. Head is off-white, 2 and a half fingers thick, and has good retention.

Smell: Toasted and biscuit malts up front with a caramel sweetness, along with a balancing floral hop.

Taste: Very bready and biscuity. Toast comes through strongly as well. Slight brown sugar sweetness. Hops make an appearance in the finish playing a balancing role, then biscuit flavor ties things up.

Notes: Very mild and very drinkable. A solid crossover brew.

BucBasil, Jul 07, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Fat Tire shines a beautiful red-copper with one finger of head on top. The smells of sweet biscuit, faint hops, and tiny bit of citrus and spice. The taste is about what you can imagine: rich balanced flavors of American Amber Ale. There are no flavors out of the ordinary save for a hint of apple or pear at the very end of a sip. Moderately high carbonation brightens the flavors quite a bit. Not too heavy.

This is a good beer for being a consistent good character, not for any particular innovation of flavor. Caramel malts that are well balanced produce a very drinkable beer that rarely dissapoints, even if it doesn't particularly excite. It is not hard to drink more than a few of these. Detractors have taken to "poo-pooing" this brew-- you gotta know going into this thing that it aint no DIPA or Imperial whatever. It is what it wants to be, a quality amber ale.

KBomb, Jul 05, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Clear amber body. Medium sweet caramel aroma. Taste is malty, medium sweet and light caramel. Mild malty finish. While fairly flavorful, this beer is definitely designed not to offend. A nice beer, nothing particularly special, but one I can imagine drinking all night long. Mild bitter aroma succumbs to mild maltiness when you taste it. Amber hue, medium head.

Rootdog316, Jul 04, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

I picked up a can on my last trip south to Ft Collins.

The pour is a clear gold with a 3 finger head of foam. Good retention and some good lacing.

The smell has notes of sweet malt, some biscuit, and somwe nuttiness. Also a faint nose of citrus.

The taste follows the nose and the samples I've had in bottles except I think there's more of the nutty character here and that's what I like about drinking it on tap at the brewery when I visit. Still not as good as there but, it's tasty and pretty drinkable and if the cans show up in Casper some day, I'll buy some.

Bitterbill, Jul 03, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +10%

This pours a beautiful dark brownish amber with a thick, cream-colored, fairly persistent head. Aroma is not strong but is richly malty and a little spicy. Malt dominates the strong flavor, which has hints of cloves and cinnamon. Texture is smooth, making this a very enjoyable ale.

Cyberkedi, Jul 01, 2008

I grabbed this at the sterling Sun Singer with lunch today. A full finger of white foam tops a brown body with golden highlights. Good lacing on the pint glass. Modest chocolate and caramel malts, all lightly toasted. Somewhat floral hopped tasted with rather bitter malt, like a peppery butterscotch, I like the combination and the more bitter taste was a pleasant surprise. Creamy with moderate hop texture is quite good also. Very drinkable and enjoyable on a warm day on the patio, definitely recommended.

Gehrig, Jun 30, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

I have had this beer many times from the bottle locally but I am reviewing it as it was poured from supposedly fresh kegs at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in CO. The beer is a dark amber color with a sweet taste. It did not impress me as anything special. It's average, at best, in the micro-brew category. Perfectly fine as a drink to quench your thirst and to get drunk but do not expect anything special.

hoppyserpent, Jun 28, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Slightly hazy copper colored beer. White head is small and doesn't retain particularly well. Small carbonation bubbles. Left only small spots of lace.

S: Fruity and malty. Caramel sweetness plus hints of apple and lemon.

T: Toasted and caramel malts up front. Hops add a well balanced bitterness and nice lemon tartness. Finishes fairly clean with residual lemon and biscuit flavors.

M: Medium body with just the right amount of fizz. A little slick on the tongue.

D: Good session brew. Not particularly daring. A safe bet for someone who is ready to wander outside the realm of mainstream beers.

Rayek, Jun 28, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -24%

I had three of these while in south-central Nebraska as a way to avoid drinking A-B products. Most restaurants carry this as a micro-brew alternative, but I found it rather uninteresting. It has a nice copper color, but the head was flat, as was the aroma. There was a bit of initial bite from the carbonation and some hoppy attributes, but overall I'd rate it an escape hatch rather than something to seek out. If you're looking for a decent American amber ale, hunt down Otter Creek Copper or Lagunitas Censored.

gfreed, Jun 27, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Dull orangish-tan body, with an average head that stuck around the edges until the end. Decent lacing.

Smell was very fresh, and, as another reviewer said, subtle. A little bit of hops, a little bit of malt.

Taste was very pleasant, but not remarkable in any particular way; a good balance of malt and hops.

I really enjoyed the mouthfeel; a solid fullness, but not heavy, and when you swallow it down it leaves you strangely both satisfied and wanting more.

Nothing here is really incredible, but everything comes together to make a very good, extremely drinkable beer.

Kyle987, Jun 27, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +17%

I've had this gem on tap and in bottles. Hint of caramel, hint of nutty biscuit, slight fruity sensation from the unique yeast. But all of these are barely detectable and combine for a uniquely crafted beer. On tap it is super mega drinkable, and it just disapears in my glass. It is a really light amber, not a big hoppy red if that is what you are after.

Kind of odd that I like this one so much, I usually demand more character from a brew. I think I just really appreciate the delicate balance of it.

I have had excellent success homebrewing this one. Beer mail me for a recipe.

Chugmonkey, Jun 26, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

I have never had the opportunity to try this beer; perhaps one of the few BAs who have never had it, until now. Poured from a 22oz commemorative "Now Voluntarily available in Tennessee" bottle.

A good looking transparent amber body with a one finger head that fizzled and left little lacing.

Faint semi-sweet biscuity aroma. Good but nothing special.

Has a slight grassy hop bitterness finish to compliment the same light sweetness that was apparent in the nose.

The body is fairly large for this beer, but within the style. Very nice.

A nice beer indeed. Easy drinker with some good flavor.

IPAcraig, Jun 24, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

bomber...newly avail in tenn... this is a fresh bottle..

pours amber... .5" head....leaves quick...nose is biscut caramel malt. Easy drinker... this is like a yuengling amber only done rt. nice balance and smooth.

really not complex....love the taste and drinkability.... head and mouthfeel could be a little tighter but I ain't complaining.

nice label.

finish is kinda like an iced french vanilla coffee.... always a good choice...perhaps a tad overpriced....but this came a long way and it's fresh which is more than what most brews can say here in Chattanooga.

I could roll through these....

witster18, Jun 21, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Finally got my hands on Fat Tire in the can. It proclaims "can conditioned" on the package and supposedly it's better this way than in the bottle. Well, my impression of normal FT is that it is a decent beer with a 'bloody nose' aftertaste.

On to the can.. On opening, it sounded just like a SKA Brewing ESB or a Dales Pale. Nothing spectacular. Smells just like it should, be it on tap from the brewery or in the bottle. I think the taste might be a little better, as I didn't get as much of the aftertaste, but I admit that's probably the can doing its job of snuffing out my sniffer. This is amazingly drinkable this way - I could see myself doing a dozen of these on the golf course!

Teke0611, Jun 19, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

When poured into a glass it forms about a quarter inch white head with large bubbles. The head fades fast leaving a film on the top of the beer and some lacing on the side of the glass. There is a deep clear amber color to it. Light passes through easily with no problems.

I had difficulty making out the full scent of the beer initially. The scent was not weak, just very subtle. There was a pleasant combination of malts with a citrus accent. The taste was very mild. It had a light malt flavor with a mild hop backbone. There was just a hint of bitterness that enhanced the flavor. There is almost no aftertaste.

This is a medium bodied beer with a light carbonation to it. It's very easy to drink and leaves almost no coating in the mouth.

Contagion, Jun 19, 2008