Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.27/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Nice label, 2011 Washington DC Commemorative Beer-Elation With Representation. Neat!

Out of the bottle, fat tire pours a gold color hitting the glass and presenting a more orange copper amber. Some rising carbonation but with a two finger small head that is sort of weak and foamy without much retention. Leaves a simple puck while drinking.

Bouquet is a toasty malt but also kind of grassy reminding me more of an Irish Red Ale. Good grain behind this with lots of toast, but this grass smell throws me off.

Taste is mostly missing a lot of what is on the nose. Gas carbonation on the palate mixed with grass mild hop. Weak texture and a little wet, with a mild toast finish.

Overall this is kind of boring, it really lacks a strong malt presence, has a weak texture and taste, and the nose while good, does not remind me of a nice amber. I have no desire to have this again. I would describe partaking of this drink as one big fat giant non event.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

A: golden amber in color, weak legs and moderate head that dissipated after a few minutes

S: biscuit malt, barely discernable hop aroma

T: malty and slightly earthy with weak lingering spicyness and a light sweetness throughout

M: light and airy though as it warms, it leans towards medium bodied.

O: First impressions is it is a malty ale , very sessionable with a light hoppines. Not something I would go out of my way to get but a drinkable pint with low complexity.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Poured into pint glass. Nice amger hue that reminded me of the rhyme about the sailors sky. The head was thin but adequate and stayed until the end with some lacing.

Smell: Has a strong caramel malt smell with a slight hop undertone.

Taste: A little sweet with a camramel aftertase that was a nice balance to the spicy hops.

Mouthfeel: Excelent carbonation with a beer that was a just little light.

Overall I would buy this beer again (if it was available in Michigan). Ilove the heavy malt flavor that is in balance with the hops. Most amber ales are just bitter with no malt backbone.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug, a clear amber color with about an inch of head, settled fairly quickly.

Smell of hops and honey, in good balance, neither overpowering.

Tastes a little on the sweet side, but still very good.

Feels good in the mouth, nice balance on the carbonation. Mostly sweet at the finish.

I've had this many times before, first in Montana after digging up dinosaur bones. A very good beer in warm weather, but not too light like so many other American beers.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A-dark orange, slightly transparent with a thin cream head

S-smells like sour dough bread...not an appetizing scent...luckily its faint.

T-comes in with very smooth and crisp grainy and nutty malts. it definitely has a decent biscuit flavor that seems to increase flavor throughout the after-taste. its not a bad beer at all!

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish. really smooth

O-not a bad beer. its an okay replacement for Yuengling while i'm out on the west coast. it isn't something i'll crave for, but i'll be excited to see it when i do, but probably only because i can't get it in Florida, otherwise i might not give it too much though at all.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

hmmm. The taste of this ale was puzzling to me. Completely missing the hopping my tastebuds have acclimatized to, and lacking the overt maltiness as well.

pouring a deep golden yellow, creamy foam poured from the unshaken bottle. most impressive head I've seen in a while.

the smell however, was very mildly sour, or dry, somewhat in the way of Guinness...no hops really to balance it. As the beer warmed, this became more present, and on the palate as well.

the taste was different. totally lacking excessive hopping. If present, the hops were mildly greenish and floral, definitely no citrus or pine. Perhaps lightly peppery. But mostly the taste emphasized a biscuity maltiness, not sweet at all, or burnt, chocolate or coffee...just grainy but wholesome and rounded....A bit like a pale light version of Guinness stout or budweiser without the hops.

Very lightly creamy, especially as it warmed up, but only light-medium bodied.

Overall this is a very nuetral beer, a nice change of pace from stouts, black ales, imperial ales, and hop czars. Much more substantial than a PBR, and none of the wheatiness of widbeers and hefweizen.... Don't know that I'd seek it out, though.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear amber color with a thin off white head.

S: A hint of caramel, grain, malt and some yeast.

T: Not a bad amber at all, but not the best. Bready malts and grain make up the bulk of the flavor with a tickle of floral hops hidden deep in the taste. A hint of some belgian yeast in there as well.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes: 7/29/2011

A - Clear goldenish/amber in color. Thin white layer of bubbles hangs around throughout. Not bad, not special.

S - Not much here. Dominated by bready malts with a touch of lemony hops.

T - Very malty and biscuity with a decent balance of hops. Bready to start and slightly dry and bitter on the finish. A fairly clean tasting beer. Nothing too exciting or offensive. A real beer drinkers beer. Alcohol can be traced, but nothing too much (was surprised at how notable it was for the low ABV). This isn't really my cup of tea, but would be a good summer drinking beer.

M - Nice body for the style. A little too prickly with bubbles due to the excess carbonation in this one.

O - A pretty nice beer that I heard a lot about before trying it. I would compare this to Bell's Oberon, in that it is a beer that many people like and sort of hype up, but us beer snobs aren't often amazed by it. I understand the two beers are nothing alike, but I'm sure most ppl get my point. A must try beer, but I personally doubt I'll have it again for a long time.

3.32/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a very pale amber with a lot of white frothy head. Good retention. The smell has nice malt and citrus hop notes. Up front this beer has a really nice malt profile, but there's a smoky or burnt flavor that I detect in the finish. There is also a decent hop character but it is at odds with the malts. The hops come across more citrusy which does not balance well with the smoky malt character. Mouthfeel is nice though; crisp, clean, and medium bodied.

Though this is NB's flagship, I think they have so many other great beers to offer that are far better than this.

3.27/5  rDev -8.9%

I guess we should be grateful that New Belgium has a big hit to support their more interesting beers. Mellow tang but dirty aftertaste. Muddy taste but has a touch of sprightly hops. Seduces with some roasted malt flavors but tails off into dishwater. Best feature is the nose of caramel and flowers. An average example of a style that has few standouts. This is not one of them. A well made but tedious beer.

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A competent easy to drink beer. Even though it's a New Belgium offering, it's not as flavorful as, say, Abbey. I'd never buy Fat Tire to drink at home, but if I'm at a bar with a limited beer selection, I know that I can expect a decent beer from Fat Tire.

Served at New Belgium Brewery-

A- Nice ambery glow with a nice head

S- perfect mix of hop smell and malt smell

T- Amber taste, perfect mix of malt and hint of hops. Taste sfamiliar, and reminds me of why I love beer

M- Super smooth and super nice

O- One of the first beers that really got me into beer, so will always have a special place in my heart

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a one finger head which gives way to a skim and leaves moderate lace on the glass. The aroma is of biscuits and caramel with a hint of floral hops. The taste was a biscuit malt backbone with a slight sweetness and a floral and citrus hop bite. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated and slightly thin. Overall this is a decent amber more complex than avearage with a nice clean taste.

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%

I've had Fat Tire many times before but felt compelled to review it after the great experience I had today.

Bought from the Charleston Beer Exchange for $4.99 for a growler fill. New Belgium promo where they were giving away glasses, bottle openers, decals, and they even threw in a free frisbee for me when I told them I drove 30 miles to come get this special.

A- Dark Copper color with a slight head. Looks great in my free New Belgium.

S- Sweet malty with a bit of hops

T- I'm normally a hop head, but the sweet maltiness of this beer is absolutely delicious. I don't know the technical terms, but a sweet "bready" flavor to this is how I'd describe it.

M- Feels great going down

Overall I love this beer. It's strange, I drank it a few times a while back but wasn't too impressed, but a couple of months ago I gave it another chance and have been drinking it steady ever since. Two thumbs up to New Belgium and CBX also for this great promo offer.

3.49/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle BB Sept 22/12. Purchased at Happy Harry's North Grand Forks served at 6C into a tulip.

A: Amber, clear body with a nice white head that lasts well, descending to a cap leaving light lacing.
S: Muted, some light earthy hop coupled with nutty bodily malts.
T/M: Light residual sweetness, biscuit malt and earthy hop aromas. Finishes with a wisp more bitterness than I expected, with is refreshing. Average carbonation.
O: Decent, though not great. More hop aromas would have been welcome. Some people love this beer, I do not love it, although I suppose I like it.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Pours a copper color with a nice frothy head that sticks around a long while.

S: Light aroma of sweet malts with a hint of floral hops.

T: Light malt flavor with a bit of sweetness to it. Hops come in at the end add a slight bitter bite.

O: This is a very easy going intro into craft beer. Not to crazy to scare anyone off but pretty darn delicious. It makes me sad this isn't distributed in my area.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker glass.

Pours a clean, clear, amber color. Appears to have a decent amount of carbonation with lots of little bubbles rising to the surface. Not much of a head, but a solid half finger.

Smells like toasted caramel malt, with some light earthy hop aromas.

First thing that comes through is some sweet caramel malt with a light hop bite that includes some slightly citrus and floral flavors. After this comes what I consider the signature Fat Tire taste, sweet toasty bread like flavors come through and linger around for a few seconds. Maybe some light butterscotch on there too.

Mouthfeel is adequate. A little higher in carbonation. Very drinkable though.

Overall, this is a solid amber ale. A lot of ambers to me are just meh. This is a solid one though, although I can think of many others I would prefer. I could drink this all night. Nice and balanced

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: copper, clear amber color, not much of a head, fairly flat.

S: no strong scent, a hint of sweetness, caramel some faint hops.

T: smooth malty caramel flavor, not bitter a bit sweet but not over the top sweet, well balanced.

M: crisp, easy to drink, smooth

Overall: I enjoy this beer and am always bummed when I run out as it is not distributed in our area and I have to wait until I go or I know someone going to Georgia. It is an easy drinking beer that is not overwhelming or filling, pairs well with many foods. It is one of the sweeter beers I enjoy on a regular basis though the sweetness it not overly done.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Had on tap a few years back, but his is a bomber
A - crystal clear straw golden, thumb of white head retained well with endless bubbles rising
S - mix of bready, sour fruit, and sweet aromas are prominent, leafy hops round it out
T - strong nutty malt with bready and light caramel support, light hops of grass and herbs, light metallic finish
M - slightly mild on carbonation, smooth but a little thin, the only average attribute here
O - a very easy drinking brew with all the flavour points of a well built amber, definitely meant as a session brew

2.59/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted at the Whole Foods in Novato, in their tasting area. Poured into a small pint style glass.

A: Nice hazy amber color. Good head with good lacing. Looks is all this beer really has.

S: Very faint. i could hardly smell anything. What I did smell was a light caramel sweetness and not much else.

T: Bland. All the flavors sort of meld together and become muddled. Very light.

M: On the lighter lighter side. None of the palate coating caramel maltiness that I enjoy..

O: This is a good beer to give people to introduce them to craft. It will not overwhelm anyone with flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

This is a personal favorite for one reason. That phrase, probably hated, "drinkability."

Its a pale gold/amber beer. Amazing lacing, lasts all the way through.

Nose. Biscuits!

Taste: Biscuits!

This is a very malty beer, hops are somewhat present. Maybe I'm biased due to all of my experiences with the beer, but it's my go to. Consider its not available in Florida, and I fall under cult status.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%

More than enough said on this brew. My two cents for I don't get to this brew very often, I didn't think I reviewed it so with that in mind I had two with friends at a hotel lobby bar.

Pours a nice dark amber red. Nice off white head. Good carbonation, nice body, fair lace.

Good toasted bread, biscuit malts, small hop balance.

Smooth easy drinking mouthfeel, slight yeasty dryness.

Overall a good go-to craft beer.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

A-A red, gold color in the glass-nice looking.
S-Really didn't smell much so I can't say much here.
T-Tasted malty and bread-like. Maybe even a little sweetness. Maybe a breakfast biscuit kind of taste
M-Not much carbonation
O-A nice, smooth beer with enough complexity to keep in interesting. Also enough alcohol to give it a little kick but not so much that you can't enjoy a few in a row. I will still stay partial to the Wisconsin based beers but this is a good one if I am looking to buy something from out of state.

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

It may have been all the people that made a really big deal about Fat Tire, by the time I had it I really was not impressed at all. Don't get me wrong its not bad its just everyone made it seem to be so much more.

A- A slightly red goldish color. Small amount of foam build. Mild Carbonation.

S- A very mellow smell, mild amount of malts, has a more sweet smell.

T- A good balance between hops to malts. Still on the light side with a nice sweet hint to it.

M- Great drinkability, pretty light and mellow with a nice kick from the hop and malt balance.

A good beer just was hoping to get a little more out of it.. Cheers though!

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Fat Tire is an amber colored ale, and my favorite brew made by New Belgium. This medium bodies amber ale has an excellent flavor and goes well with just about anything.

I usually drink this ale out of a pint glass, when poured it has a medium sized head. It has a wonderful smell and a nutty/malty taste.

This is a year round brew, not a seasonal one and as such is easy to enjoy any time of the year. It is easy to drink, making it an excellent choice for those hot summer days, yet it is also full of flavor, making it ideal for a night in with friends as well.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing