Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
CamuMahubah

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Wow!..This stuff surprised me last night!...It had been a few years and I written this beer off. Decided to give it another try and I was very pleased this time around. Last showing it might have been a bit stale. Don't know how long it sat at Kloch's.

This beer wasn't as dark as I thought it was gonna be...pouring into the mug I noticed it was light orange...well I thought this beer was as black as my heart...Now I know it's an Amber Ale...

It tasted of pumperknickel right between toasted and burnt with chocolate undertones...this beer emants a cacao aura that I chased late into the night...

Easygoing...that is the magic...robust but without the strong aftertaste that I was expecting...just the right amount of fizz...

I am gonna keep a sixer in the fridge for when buddies stop by and such...Wifey likes it too...biscuity goodness!

11-27-2007 08:06:50 | More by CamuMahubah
MarzenMan

Missouri

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Nice clear amber color. 1 finger thick rocky head. Good lacing.

S- Lightly malty and chocolatey with a slight fruit smell.

T & M - Same as the smell. I delfinitely agree that its a one dimensional beer but its not quite like anything else either. Sweet, light chocolate/carmel malt but manages to end dryly. Very very lightly hopped.

D - High. Mild flavor and sweetness make it an easy downer.

11-27-2007 04:04:02 | More by MarzenMan
tempest

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber, it's a hazy, reddish amber with a short head. The smell and taste make for a slightly toasty amber ale. There's a medium body, so despite its popularity, Fat Tire is no lightweight. The taste, however, just isn't that engaging. It's still a nice, balanced mix of sweet yeast flavors and malt, and not a beer I'd turn away.

11-26-2007 18:57:11 | More by tempest
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bomber.

Bright translucent amber-orange with a head. Not highly hopped, this beer features toasty malts. The toasty notes were subtly apparent by smell, but more apparent in the taste. It is not sweetly malty, however, and actually has a crisp, dry finish that makes it highy drinkable. It's a well-balanced beer with crowd-pleasing appeal.

11-26-2007 14:44:24 | More by pweis909
marcpal

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%

Thank you Bort11 for this one. Ive enjoyed this one in Vegas on more than one occassion, good to try out on East Coast and to finally get around to the review.

Poured from bomber into glass

A: Nice reddish-amber color with an enticing inch of white head. Carbonation more than present and lasts long time with good lacing throughout.

S: Biscuity and malty. Very good sweetness to the nose. Hoppy smell.

T: Malt and biscuit just as in the smell. Sweetness was more than I remembered but still a huge fan of this taste. Hops have a clear presence in the throat after working way through this bomber.

M: Some body with a good mouthfeel. Carbonation was not going anywhere but it was nice.

D: Incredibly high, I am part of the following for this beer and am a bit down that this is my only that I get to enjoy out here. I really wish I had more and will look to gather more down the line.

Terrific beer.

11-22-2007 00:11:54 | More by marcpal
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

The quaint scene on the label looks like it came from a children's book. I like the bottle with the dimpled neck, looks fancy.

The beer pours coppery gold with a frothy eggshell head that last an average length and leaves half the glass covered in sheets of lace. Grain roughness and toasted malt is evident in the nose. There's almost a bran feel to it. The taste is malt-centric with a biscuity and toasty feel, reminds me of the feel of some Belgian Pale Ales and Triples. The yeast, however, is much more neutral than any Belgian ale. The hops are pleasantly spicy and provide a competent counterbalance to all the malt going on. The finish is malty and slightly hoppy. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a somewhat rough carbonation.

I like this beer, it's very inoffensive and not bold in anyway, but its just interesting enough to keep my attention. This would make a great gateway into craft beer; its not too hoppy and wouldnt turn off even the most pedestrian palate.

11-21-2007 03:46:14 | More by CAMRAhardliner
tronester

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear amber with a medium off white head. Smells bready and yeasty. Taste is biscuity, but not as biscuity as I remember. Has a sweet presence as well, with a good rounding out of the hop bitterness. Slight hop flavor as well. Slightly thin on the mouthfeel. Quite drinkable.

11-15-2007 05:14:49 | More by tronester
Reanimator

Iowa

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

The golden orange color and large, frothy, eggshell white head is very enticing. Aroma is very bready and sweet.

The taste is a bit disappointing. Malts and hops are there, but nothing really stands out, the volume seems to have been turned down on all of the flavors.

This is a very drinkable, yet ultimately unsatisfying beer. I had heard many a good thing about Fat Tire and I really wanted to enjoy the 22oz in front of me, but the subdued taste and weak body kept me from liking it as much as I had hoped.

11-11-2007 02:17:29 | More by Reanimator
hellcatsjg

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%

Appearance: Medium amber color with a finger and a half of fluffy white head. Active carbonation lasts for a good while after the pour. Small amount of lacing as you go.

Smell: Toasty malty smell. Along with a sweet caramel aroma. Very nice.

Taste: The best word that describes this beer is "biscuity". Slightly sweet and very yeasty and malty. Not the most complex flavor, but what there is is very nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good thickness. Carbonation lasts for a while. Very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very high. This beer has a great flavor, and is something that I could drink several of. Wish I had more than the single bottle that I just drank. Very good beer.

10-30-2007 02:54:20 | More by hellcatsjg
nosbocaj

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours a clear amber color with a small white head and a decent amount of lace.
S: Smells of caramel, bready yeast, and malts.
T: Very malty and bready taste. Leaves a distinct aftertaste. Very unique for an Amber.
M: Medium/Light bodied beer with a high amount of carbonation.
D: Fairly high. It's not the best tasting Amber, but I'd definitely take one in a pinch.

10-29-2007 06:24:24 | More by nosbocaj
smurphy77

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Picked up a six pack of this near S.F. when I had nothing else to do. Over the course of a few days my opinions swayed a bit, but overall this is a nice beer that is most definitely drinkable. It has a reddish amber color and a thin head. Taste was what varied, ranging from nice roasted malty slightly bitter slightly sweet complex concoction to eh that's nice but not interesting. Weird that one six pack could have such a spectrum of tastes.

I had this on draft a while back and loved it. Too long ago to review now, but the bottles in no way compared to the keg experience.

10-27-2007 00:57:32 | More by smurphy77
champ103

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Orange/amber color with a small white head, decent carbonation, and a good amount of lace on the side.
S: A little one dimensional. A lot of malt some hops, and maybe a hint of some other spices.
T: Bread/biscuit malt with some nutty flavors and hops. A very distinct flavor that I like a lot.
M/D: A light to medium body and medium carbonation. Not bad at all. A session beer through and through.

How do I sum my thoughts up without ranting? I will try and keep this short. This beer is considered a stepping stone into the craft beer scene, and many people think it is an over-hyped beer. I spent a summer camping in Montana in 2005. Fat Tire, Moose Drool and some local micro's were all we drank. I loved it then and after many years of trying many other styles, I still find it very good.

10-25-2007 21:20:33 | More by champ103
likestoswallow

2.8/5  rDev -22%

From 22 oz bottle. Pours a rich copper-gold with an off white head that foamed up furiously then promptly disappeared. Aroma was very light malt. Flavor was mild with a distinct nuttiness--pistachio and peanuts in a semisweet backdrop. Hops and carbonation were undeveloped and weak. Mouthfeel was thin and less than fulfilling. Finish was short. Not likely to drink again, this beer tasted like it was specifically crafted for weak beer fans--and that is not me.

10-23-2007 04:44:22 | More by likestoswallow
MMAJYK

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

A- Copper/Orange transparent beer. Head is bright white, and thin. Goes away in the first few minutes for the most part. A thin film does stick around for the duration.

S- Smells of butter, almonds, caramel, nuts in general. I also pick up some biscuity aromas like homemade biscuits. I do pick up some sour yeasty smells too.

T- Taste of smooth, but burnt, nuts. Alot like the smell dictates. Smoky, woodsy, and yeasty. Finish is somewhat dry.

M- Mouthfeel is quite thin, but is decent. Nothing sticky, but definitely goes down good. I would call it low to mid carb. Just a little watery for my liking.

D- Very drinkable beer. Light on ABV and unique taste. Likeable and good. I will have to make another trip to the midwest sometime and pick more of this stuff up to bring back in my luggage.

This is one of the most talked about session craft brews and I can see why. It has enough distinctability to be a great craft brew and the drinkability to appeal to almost any beer drinker. Great job guys, keep up the good work.

10-22-2007 21:36:08 | More by MMAJYK
bboven

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Light copper color, clear with great head and lacing.

Super-biscuity, with a little yeast character that really is different for this style. Subtle stale hops.

Roasty and sour , very bready.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and over-carbonated for the style.

It's good, but for such a hyped-up beer, I dunno.

10-18-2007 03:58:45 | More by bboven
jasonpeckins32

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%

I tried this one on-tap at the Hard Rock Cafe in San Diego while on vacation. We were bar hopping and I think this was the third place I went to that suggested I try this particular beer after I asked what good craft beers they had available. So I finally decided I'd give it a whirl. To be honest, I dont have a clue what those southern californians were thinking because I was terribly unimpressed by this beer.

It had an auburn tint, transparent, with very little carbonation at all. I usually dont like quaffing flat beers and this was no exception. Not a lot of flavor, a bit bready. I'd almost just assume have a busch light if you could believe that. So for 5 bucks a pint, this wasnt one of my best purchases.

10-16-2007 03:36:58 | More by jasonpeckins32
BeerDreadz

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

1 Pint amber bottle

Appearance: A nice amber color with a creamy head that stays there for while.

Smell : Maltiness and some sweetness.

Taste: Normal carbonation ,maltiness in a very good way, some kind of fruit present there.

Drinkability&Mouthfeel: Very easy to drink,does not feels hard on the mouth

....Nice Brew

10-14-2007 02:59:55 | More by BeerDreadz
buffettfan

Arizona

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

This is not the worlds greatest beer by an stretch. However, this is a solid beer to me. Its not exciting, but is easy to find just about anywhere out here. A lot of times it the only decent beer on tap or bottles in my area. Again, not award winning, but always there if you need a decent beer.

10-11-2007 17:44:15 | More by buffettfan
noremorse1

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

Now that I live out in Washington (having moved from Michigan) certain beers are now available to me. Beers like the infamous Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. Why not buy a 6 pack and give it a review.

Pour is a light amber with a medium amount of head that seems not to want to go anywhere. Mild lacing.

Smell is caramel, bready yeast, malt... grandmas musty attic.

Taste is nothing insane, but decent. Toasty with a strong taste of malt and bread.

I could drink a few of these. Nothing outstanding, but a decent beer none-the-less. However, I am told it tastes better on tap and in Colorado.

10-08-2007 05:02:08 | More by noremorse1
Metalmonk

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Never see this stuff (or other New Belgium beers) in VA/NC, so it's cool to see the Fat Tire logo lit up in neon all over Portland, OR and surrounding areas. I had to try one on for size.

Pours a toasty golden copper with very little head that thins too quickly. Nothing remarkable in its looks...

The aroma is probably my favorite aspect of this beer, as it strongly recalls buttered sourdough bread straight from the toaster. Wicked. There's a lighter spice element in the background that I can't put my finger on...cardamom? nutmeg? Ultimately it's complete and total toast. Toast Advocates should check it out.

Flavor-wise you get a big helping of toasty, crisp, biscuity flavor, with hops being present but pretty low-key. This is maybe not the most mindblowing beer out there, but it is one of the most unique, in that I can't recall a single other flavor like it.

Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, with a nip of toastiness (oh really?) and light bitterness on the tongue.

Not the most bready beer around, but one of the most toast-like, if that's not too confusing.

10-05-2007 18:07:09 | More by Metalmonk
SchaefMan

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I like this beer quite a bit, and I may have even reviewed it before. It has a nice copper color to it, with an off-white head. Smells sort of bready, and tastes so, as well. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation, and drinkability is good.

My main issue with this beer is the cost. I mostly get it because I like the 22oz bottle, but at the local Jewel, the regular price is $3.99 per bottle !!! Now, I would never pay that. I get it at Teddy's Liquors for $2.69, but even at that, it's way over-priced. Yet, I still get it.... oh well. I still like it.

10-04-2007 01:00:34 | More by SchaefMan
shererjt

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Poured a clear, light copper color with a good amount of carbonation and off-white head. Decent lacing. Aroma was rich and malty with a fair amount of biscuit and caramel. Hops were definitely secondary. Fruity, plum-like scent. Medium body. Spicy fruit flavor with plenty of sweet malt. Floral hops were in the background. Mouthfeel was about average. Well balanced. Could use a little more pizazz. Quite drinkable, though, and could be a good session beer, particularly at restaurants with limited beer selections.

I've read this has/had a slight Belgian character. If true, it's either gone or I couldn't detect it. Not exotic by any stretch, but a solid amber ale.

09-25-2007 19:08:38 | More by shererjt
mrasskicktastic

1.93/5  rDev -46.2%

A - A huge frothy white head sits on top of a clear copper brew. The hed dissipates in minutes leaving thin rings of lacing at every sip.

S - THIS is the fat tire which I have heard countless rave over? It smells of very stale grain with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg underneath. A touch of dry hay keeps it hopped. Seriously, this smells pretty awful.

T - The taste, though not great is not nearly as unpleasant as the smell. The flavor has a dry light grain, not a hint of sweetness, with an intense carbonated water aftertaste accompanied by some hay and a bit of a cinnamon presence. Not good, but drinkable at least.

M - Thin, extremely highly carbonated - it actually tickles my throat, neither drying nor particularly thirst quenching.

D - Well, I can hold my nose on the sips, so it is just a little unpleasant. Last time I listen to the masses. I'm really sad to have bought a whole six pack of this. I will not have this one again (after the other five bottles) - at least it is nice to look at . . .

09-25-2007 05:21:07 | More by mrasskicktastic
nightcrawler

1.7/5  rDev -52.6%

Lots of people praise this beer and I had to go to a couple of stores to find a bottle. I really wish I hadn't been able to find it.

The smell is something horrid. Like the inside of a warm rubber or something. The taste was like a stale cracker or bread crust. Maybe it would go better with some kind of food, but by itself, it was not refreshing.

Sat on my stomach like a heavy brick.

09-24-2007 01:40:35 | More by nightcrawler
jdubjacket

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to my uncle who sent this to me from OKC.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer. I had heard that it was both a fine beer and that it was simple average.

Well, having it for the first time, I must say that I really like this beer.

Pours a deep amber color with plenty of lacing and a head that doesn't go away thru the whole beer.

The smell is the only thing off about this beer. I wasn't bad...but it wasn't good.

It has a very earthy, bready taste. I had never tasted an ale like this, and it was a very unique brew.

This beer actually coated my mouth. I'm still smacking as I type this.

Very good drinkability. I would have another one right now if it wasn't my last one.

Overall, I was not disappointed with this beer. It's very unique, so be prepared to be surprised.

09-21-2007 01:16:00 | More by jdubjacket