Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from tap into a pint glass. Good looking amber color with a nice head and good lacing. The smell was slightly floral with strong malty goodness. It had a great malt taste with a mild sweetness and a slight hoppy end. Good body to the beer. All and all I thought it was a well done beer.

kbuff13, May 15, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into tulip from 220z bottle - looks good fine lacing color is amber brown. Smell is probably best thing about this beer malty with a kick of freshness that shoots up my nose. Tastes toasty and a little earthy which surprises me in an amber ale. Nice hop finish cleans up. Mouthfeel okay - lighter with decent carb. Very drinkable at 5.2.

tjkurz, May 14, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

A welcome addition to the Atlanta market, we've been waiting for New Belgium. Poured 22 oz bomber into pint glass.

A: To me, this is just a gorgeous beer. Amber gold glow, nice off-white head with minimal lacing as consumed.

S: Biscuit and sweetness from malts and some hoppy goodness. Slightly floral.

T: Biscuits and carmelly malts up front with some nice hop bitterness. Very toasted.

M: Nice carbonation, smooth, very easy drinking and flavorful.

This is a welcome session beer to the Georgia market.

cktison, May 12, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear amber with 1 1/2 fingers of foamy eggshell white head. Thin creamy retention that flares up into a rigid 1/2 finger that throws some massive frothy lacing up on the sides of the glass. The aroma is sweet with bread and caramel, with a good bit of citric tang and light floral hops in the back of the nose.

The taste is toasted malts and caramel sweetness mixed in with a pervasive fruity citric character. Light bittering hops pull up the back with some needed balance. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fairly relaxed and creamy carbonation and a generally all around refreshing feel about it.

While nowhere near the full blown cult status that this beer seems to have garnered over the years, if your looking at this as a moderately flavored and easy drinking Amber Ale, then for the most part it succeeds. Plus it gets an extra point for the portability in cans now as well.

Kegatron, May 12, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this on tap at JP Looney's in Greensboro, NC.

A - Clear amber with no head by the time I got it, just a small collar. Minimal lacing.

S - Lightly toasted malt with mild notes of pine and citrus from the hops.

T - More subdued than I would prefer. The toasted malt provides a decent backbone for the mild hit of pine and somewhat citrus hop flavors.

M - Light to medium bodied with a moderate carbonation. A little more body would do this brew good.

D - Easy to drink, but with a nice bit of flavor. Though I enjoyed my first draught experience with this brew, I do believe that the bottled version is a bit better. Flavor and aroma is much less muted.

PatrickJR, May 09, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Fat Tire from a can is different than from tap or bottle! Count it! Did a tasting side by side. Pours a slightly hazy copper to amber color. A good fluffy white head with good retention and good lacing for the full tasting.

The nose is a bit cleaner than versus the bottle. The malt comes out with a light bready and biscuit aroma. Some minor caramel as well. There isn't the nutty aroma that I usually associate with Victory malt (and a bottled FT). A very clean yeast and some minor esters. The hops are a bit cleaner as well, and the herbal and floral hops come out a bit more.

The taste is similar in that it is a bit softer. The malt is very clean with a light caramel. Some minor hints of the nuttiness, which Im not a fan of. Some bready notes come out as well. The yeast is a tad more noticeable in the can version as well. Some light rose peddles and bananas. The finishing hops are about equal, a good balance with hops and malt.

The body is a about the same, moderate to light. Very clean and easy drinking. Overall there are still some things that I would like to see, more depth and a bit more hops. But just to compare can versus bottle, the winner = can!

Oxymoron, May 07, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Ahhhh. Fat Tire. I hear a lot about this beer and have been anxious to try it for quite a while. Let's get to it.

It pours a light copper or amber color and is very clear. A light vanilla colored head tops it off. It's about a finger and a half deep and was very quick to recede. An ample amount of sticky lace remained on the glass. Not bad, but not great.

The nose is underpowered and very average. It's initially a little sweet and malty. Smells mostly like toasted malt. A fair amount of yeast is noticeable throughout. Hops are very faint and could easily squeak by unnoticed. They smell mostly floral and earthy. Perhaps the light grainy smell on the tail is attributable to them. There's something here to work with, but it comes across as way too anemic.

The flavor's a little better than the nose, but it's only above average. It is sweet and malty initially. Its base consists of a mix of pale, toasted, and caramel malts. The toasted variety is the most distinct flavor. It's yeasty throughout. Hops are floral and grassy. A spicy hop flavor emerges toward the end that gives it a little edge. It's slightly grainy. Alcohol is not noticeable at all. It finishes a little bitter and spicy. It's not bad, but is clearly not nearly as impressive as I've heard.

Fat Tire is nowhere near robust or fat. In fact, it's thin and feels a little watered down. Carbonation is active and crisp. It's nowhere near smooth. Drinkability is above average. There's not enough flavor here to entertain most of us beer geeks for very long. Its abv and feel certainly lend themselves to sessionability, but I doubt many BAs would be happy with this for long.

Well...Fat Tire's okay, but not exactly good beer. Not nearly as good as I've heard. Incidentally, all the talk I hear is not from the craft beer crowd. I now understand why. Fat Tire's probably a good gateway beer into the craft beer world. There's enough here to intrigue the uninitiated. But for those of us who really scrutinize our beer, there's not much here. The nose is weak, the flavor's merely above average, and it's too thin. I don't buy all the hype I've heard about this beer, but I get why "the others" incessantly talk about it. Worth a try, but not much more.

prototypic, May 07, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

A- the color of Jurassic amber minus the trapped insects, of course, Nice head, about a thumbs height tall and some exceptional lacing. Beer is crystal clear with some carb bubbles rising to the surface.

S- I do pick up on unbaked bread aromas with some faint over-ripe grapes in the background...aroma is better than I just made it sound.

T- I honestly pick up on a lot of all-spice flavors in this beer and a dry biscuit flavor as well. Nothing complex here, just a simple yet tasty beer.

M- Not much complexity in the mouth feel at all. Dry and crisp with a decent amount of carbonation.

D- This is where this beer shines, as this would be my ideal backyard beer. Drinkability makes up for some of the simplistic traits of this beer

israel, May 07, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Looks like a good bourbon. Nice carmel look. Decent head that fades somewhat rapidly. Laces moderately.

S- Malty. Molasses, biscuity. Not too strong or complex but nice.

T- Biscuity, way maltier than I remember. Somewhat pretzel-like. Good malt profile, but not too much otherwise. Not too much here, except a lot of different malt flavors. Some lightly toasted almond too.

M- Light-to-medium. Not too much carbonation. Nothing special.

D- Definitely moving through this, but I'd reach for something else given the chance.

LordAdmNelson, May 06, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

pours a light orange color with with a nice fluffy head and good lacing the smell is malt, nutmeg, and biscuit, some hops and spice smells..small clove background..the taste is a malt/biscuit forward amber then some hop/spice tastes with a nutmeg flavor..the mouthfeel is good nothing complex here just an easy drinking amber ill recommend this one..good one for the summer season!

gatornation, May 05, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a bright amber. Light glinting from the glass bends fire colors onto my hand. Fluffy finger height head fades quickly.
This smells a bit musty, lots of yeasty bicuit going on here. There's some slight fruitiness underneath.
Taste is very very biscuity. I find it pretty one dimensional. The taste didn't become any more complex as it warmed which disappointed me.
Has a very smooth mouthfeel, quite satisfying.
Good drinkability due to low abv and smoothness.

youngblood, May 05, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a one-finger white head w/ lace down the glass on a clear ruby-tinted gold. Some tropical and citric fruit ntes w/ a strong bread/biscuity malt nose. A medium-bodied, dry beer that had some good fruit flavors and was a little bit crips and oily as it went down (some sour notes like wine). Herbal tea-like hop bitterness and a good balance w/ biscuity malts. A quality ale that is easy to drink.

clayrock81, May 04, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

Borderline blonde-amber (lighting was a little low, granted) with a fizzy but rapidly dissipating head.

I must say, I was not too impressed with the smell, and it tasted like a watered-down IPA.

It went down alright, a little watery, but overall, it was drinkable.

JimBird, May 04, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Nice medium Amber, some yeast floating in it, which I believe is intentional in the canned version of this beer. Nice white head on top that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: Malty, toasty biscuity.

T: Malty, slightly dry, with a wonderful nutty/ biscuit flavor. Delicious, but I think it does loose something in the can.. I have had this on tap, in a bottle, Bomber, and at the brewer, and I think the can is the weak link.. Still good, just not as good.

M: Highly carbonated, smooth, and crisp.

D: Definitely. Light, crisp and a solid amber. This beer fits many tastes, and though it gets heat on this site, I still think it is a great beer, and a gateway beer into the craft world. There was a reason we got a keg for our graduation party.. Fat tire, you aren't the best, but you will always have a place in my heart..

Beejay, May 02, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange-copper body with 1/4 inch, loose, white head. There's usually a little more head as I remember; let's blame this glass on the pour. Head dies pretty quickly to a creamy halo, but leaves a trail of lacing in it's wake. Decent lacing all the way down.

Smell: Toasted biscuit, caramel, and sweet citric hops. Citrus and hops seem more pronounced in this version than others. Overall, very sweet, malty, toasty, and nicely balanced by the citric hops.

Taste: Lots of caramel, citrus, and sweetness lays on top of a toasty, biscuity, backdrop. Very malty. Lots of sweetness with clean hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, well-carbonated, pretty sugary, and clean. Quite smooth.

Drinkability: I've had Fat Tire many times from many different sources. It's always tasted the same to me. This bottle, however, had something else going on (either that, or my palate is out of whack). Much sweeter than normal, and a bit hoppier to boot. This is a decent amber, but nothing special IMO.

ThreeWiseMen, Apr 30, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a clear medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a pleasant toasted malt with a grassy hop.

The taste featured a dry toaste grain, some light caramel and a balancing hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the cleaner side of the style.

Overall a tasty and very easy to drink ale.

plaid75, Apr 29, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Newly available in a can, may be an experiment to see how it holds up...

I'll attempt to not be biased as this one is one of my old favorites. It pours a clear amber with a large rocky head that leaves good lace.

The nose was pretty mild for the most part. The obvious was the toasted biscuity malt with a bit of grapefruit. Dare I say...musty cardboard kinda held in my mind as well. Doesn't really spark it up.

Taste was pretty mild as well, but very easy and enjoyable. Predominantly toasty, the hops were sneaky but evident more towards the finish. Become more buttery as it warmed. Clean tastey finish.

Body is quite light but carbonation is spot on.

What lacks in complexity compensates in QUAFFABILITY.... which is where I think Fat Tire shines, and is my best guess for its massive popularity amongst even novice beer drinkers. It is incredibly easy to put down and it is certainly sessionable. It may not be as great as I thought it was years ago, but its still good and it helped bring me into the better beer world and I will drink the piss out of it at any chance.

climax, Apr 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

A: amber orange with medium creamy white head with moderate retention and a minimal amount or lacing

S: warm, toasy malt aroma balanced with a floral hoppy aroma with a hint of fruit aromas

T: warm toasy malty flavor, not bready more like a flacky biscuit, also a hint of hopps to balance the brew

M: smooth with just a touch of carbonation

D: very nice, i'll take it as a summer or winter beer

lonestar1836, Apr 27, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a pint glass, about an inch of head. The beer is very clear, almost suspiciously too clear. Very nice rich earth smell, hints of citrus and something else I can't quite place, but it smells good. When it first hits my mouth I can taste chocolate malt, followed by a fruity hopness, with a slightly bitter after taste.

This is a great beer if you're just getting into craft beers and not sure where to start. Give this beer a try to get your bearings. I've heard a lot people and I include some of my friends, say that they don't care for this beer. They can never really place why they don't like it though. I'll admit the first time I had this beer, I didn't care for it that much. Over the years though it has grown on me, and it's not my favorite or even in my top 10, it's still a really solid beer.

noknife83, Apr 27, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into pint glass.

Decent looking beer. orangish amber color with a small head. leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

aroma is all caramel malt. wish there was atleast a hint of hops on the nose. not getting much smell with this brew though.

average taste. nothing really sticks out in the taste of this beer to me. bready with some caramel taste. good bitterness to balance the beer out.

mouthfeel is slightly undercarbonated to me. but this is a pretty drinkable beer. nothing about it makes me want to go back for another sip though. not a very exciting beer at all.

Bartrob6, Apr 25, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -37.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours on the yellow side of amber, maybe just a tad darker than yellow. Small head, with average lacing. Freshness date on the bottle.

S - Smells a bit like a malt liquor to me. I get some corn in there, some other grains, but no floral hop nose at all. Faint sweetness, but again nothing defined enough to identify.

T - Not much taste really, I get what I smelled. Corn, some kind of sweetness, perhaps from syrup, but not to great. No hops detected at all, the malt is subpar.

M - Medium bodied and way undercarbonated. Mouthfeel is not pleasant at all.

D - I'm afraid I would rather go without. It's possible I got a bad bottle, but the drink before date has been maintained. I will try it again with hopes for a better outcome.

surfer4life, Apr 25, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

New Belgium has finally hit Indiana. So, I figured that if the shit was here, I might as well see what the big goddamn fuss is all about. I got the 1554 on Tuesday and was completely unimpressed. Fat Tire has fared a bit better.

Pours more orange than amber from the nice-looking little can. Big ass white head settles into a permanent ring with a good amount of lacing.

The smell is toasted caramel malt. Not the least bit assertive, though.

The flavor is just as mild as the smell. It's got a good toasty flavor to it, but there just isn't enough of that flavor to stick out.

Mouthfeel is too thin, but not terribly so. Carbonation isn't quite what I would call aggressive, but it's at least somewhat assertive.

Drinkablity is above average. I could easily throw a handful of these back in a sitting. This stuff doesn't live up to its cult status. At least it wasn't the letdown that Shiner Bock was. The next time I want an amber ale, I'm grabbing a Bell's.

BigJim5021, Apr 24, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

Clear brownish orange color with a frothy off-white head. Aroma is toasty and biscuity with a slight citric tinge and some earthiness. Flavor is bland and watery. Brown malts and matzo, stale fruits, mineral finish. Very thin mouthfeel gets exceedingly tiresome by the end. Not recommended.

illidurit, Apr 23, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -22%

Alright I don't like this beer in the bottle or on tap, but I'm going to give it a try in the can as everyone I've talked to said it is better in the can...we will see.

A- Amber in color with very little head. The head that is there is very white.

S- The smell is caramely with a large grain smell.

T- The beer is malty for sure, not hoppy in the least especially for a red ale. There is a slight bitter taste that leaves a weird taste in your mouth. This is not better in a can to say the least.

M- Feels like beer in the mouth, with a bitter taste.

D- Drinks like beer....a thicker Macro styled beer.

Wetpaperbag, Apr 19, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Presentation: Served on tap at Scalini's in Lakewood, poured into 10oz mug.

A: Pours only about 1/2 finger head, amber/reddish brown in color, but retains nice lacing.

S: Smells a little fruity reminiscent of an English ale. Not sure what fruits, but it's there. Smell is not really outstanding in any way, but not at all offense. Just a little unremarkable much like the majority of the beers in this style.

T: Tastes pretty crisp and mildly fruity, again reminding me of a poor example of a Samuel Smith's style ale. Similar in many ways, just not as good. Caramel malt is there, but in the background.

M: Feels good, nice and oily. Carbonation is just right, but the feel is pretty thin.

D: As long as it stays cold, it's very drinkable. Once it gets warmer it tends to the bitter side.

A good standby if nothing else is available as it's extremely wide in its distribution net. Not a bad beer especially at $3.50.

thirdeye11, Apr 18, 2009