Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

My parents brought me this six pack back from a trip down south, I have never had anything from New Belgium before so lets give it a go. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- This beer poured a nice light amber color with three fingers worth of thick white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed the rest of the time, there is also some nice lacing.

S- Typical amber aroma with the caramel malts sticking out the most with some grassy hops at the end.

T- Pretty similar to the smell but more bready and biscuity. There's a good balance of earthy hops on the finish that helps level out the tons of breadyness that comes from the malts.

M- Medium bodied and good carbonation.

D- This beer makes a good session amber. The combination of low alcohol and good flavors make this beer pretty drinkable. Three or four of these would hit the spot.

Overall I thought this was a nice amber ale and I am glad I tried it. Too bad I have never seen this at any of the local stores. This beer was a good first impression for New Belgium, I look forward to trying more of their brews.

Edit- I had a couple of really fresh bottles that were just a little better so I adjusted the score and gave the aroma a 4 instead of 3.5, this is a good an unique beer that I always try and get when out of state.

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%

This is pretty much my go-to beer when on-tap at a bar, since it's better quality beer than BMC.

Appearance - I like the darkish amber color of this beer. In my experience when drinking this on tap it always has a very good head retention and decent lacing as well. In a bottle the head retention is significantly diminished.

Smell - Your average beer smell in my opinion. Guess I could compliment that there is nothing off-putting about the smell.

Taste - Pretty wheaty taste really. Like I'm munching on hay. Not that this is necessarily bad. The favor is just really consistent and nothing really shines.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good body, a little dry, and decent carbonation.

Drinkabilty - Very drinkable from the tap I'd say. I drink a couple pints on occasion.

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%

A- Pours a one fingered white(!) head atop a golden bier with very fine sediment. Nice lacing and average head retention.

S- Similar to a macro but with caramel malts. Biscuits.

T- Follows the smell. Bready.

M- Mouthfeel is a tad on the watery side.

D/O- Drinkability is out of this world. Goes down like a common BMC, only with some (decent) flavor to back it up. Not much to it, a perfect "gateway" craft beer. It's no wonder this is the beer snob's (hah) go-to beer.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Ever-growing in popularity, Fat Tire is becomeing one of America's better microbrews for a reason. This beer has a beautiful deep amber coloring, a malty aroma of light citrusy fruit, a nice frothy head, and a very smooth pour into a glass. This is a smooth drinkable beer. I would recommend if you have not tried it.

I first sampled this while on vacation in the Mountain West. I was quite impressed by it at that time. I would be another ten years before I got another chance to try Fat Tire. I suppose that during that period, my tastes have changed such that this is now just an ok/good beer. When I taste it now I get too much of a wheat taste - as if I just munched some straw from a field.

Still good, but not something I will seek out.

2.21/5  rDev -38.4%

Appearance- Pours a clear amber with a bubbly white head, decent retention, a little lacing.

Smell- Bready malts. Sweaty socks, not very appealing.

Taste- Bready and biscuit malts. A bit earthy and hint of fruit. The doughy malt flavors pretty much over ride everything else. Simple and plain.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation. The best part of the beer.

Overall- I really don't understand the fascination with this beer, it is ok and plain at best. The breadyness of this gets very tiring, quickly. Meh, not for me.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

a good brownish color....with little to no head....and nice lacing....

smells of biscuit malt!....a nutty smell....kinda get some hops in the nose....

taste is a nice bitter...although a little watered down taste...nutty flavor...

dry feel....i would like it to be a little less dry...for the style....

i could drink these all day....low alcohol good taste...but not over powering

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

I was surprised to find that I hadn't reviewed this before.

The beer pours an amber color with a white head. The aroma is toffee with some bready malt. The flavor is toffee, bread and some grassy notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very easy beer to drink, but there is not much going on aroma or flavor wise.

3.29/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance-Deep gold to light amber, brilliantly clear, huge frothy white head with fairly good retention and some nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma-Biscuity, toasty, bready malt aromas up front. Light floral and slightly citrusy hops. Very light, fruity esters, and just a hint of tartness (almost cherry-like). No flaws, but not overwhelming.

Flavor-Toasty and biscuity malt. Moderately low floral hop flavors, and low hop bitterness. Similar to the aroma, there is some light, tart fruit flavors (like cherries or pears) and some light funk. Certainly not bad, but not something I'm dying to drink.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, medium carbonation. Smooth, but lingers on the tongue and sides of mouth in a somwhat strange way.

Not exceptional, but definitely easy to drink. While I'm not dying to drink more, if this was the best thing on hand for the night I could definitely take down a few.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

As far as an amber goes this beer is truely exceptional. Being from Michigan I am not afforded the same priveledge of tasting this beer on tap, rather I visit family in Chicago and buy the beer in bottles. Yet, the beer itself is quite remarkable. The hoppy flavor that it claims to have is recognizable yet subtle enough to keep from detracting from the flavors that it boasts. It is far less malty than some abmbers I have tried but I feel that helps more than hurts the brew. Fat tire still retains a bright robust flavor and is apparent in both the front and the back of the beer. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is looking for an amber beer with remarkable flavor.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Nice simple unique bottle.

A: Good clear amber color. Minimal head. Dissipates quickly.

S: Light smell of roasted malts.

T: Light malts, biscuits, grains. Light bitterness at the end.

M: Nice light body and good carbonation.

D: Good and light.

It borders on almost tasting watered down. I fully appreciate a beer with a light taste but it can sometimes be too light. I think this beer falls on the good side of that line but it's close. Regardless, a nice light drink.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed: 06/27/10
Poured from bottle to Standard pint glass.

A: the color of ambered tree sap. absolut clarity. Partial ribbons.

S: Good balanced maltiness with touch of citrusy hopping.

T: Lots of caramel malt on this one. otherwise, nada.

M: medium carbonation accents light body (for an amber).

D: Would not suggest as an amber.

3.06/5  rDev -14.8%

Perhaps it is the name, but this beer always seems the most recognized New Belgium beer - which is a shame because they make other much better beers. High level of caramel malt, almost chocolate without the normal degree of roasting. A bit bland in the middle, with nondescript hopping at the end. More akin to a mild brown ale in flavor than anything.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer always gets mixed reviews. Out on the east coast it's very cult-y and people seem to swarm to places where it's available. I guess that's what limited distribution can do for a brand.

Anyhow, while in Colorado (where this is on tap at seemingly every bar) I knocked back a few Fat Tires. Overall, I think it's an interesting beer. It has a very bready and biscuity aroma and flavor. Some definite caramel malt sweetness and minimal hop flavor or aroma.

It's a unique and different flavor from many other amber ales out there. I'm not sure if it is the malt makeup or the yeast strain, but there is something unique here. Definitely worth trying, although not an everyday drinker for me.

3.26/5  rDev -9.2%

A. Straight light amber appearance with a two finger white head. Leaves a decent amount of lacing. This beer is crystal clear.

S. Grainy cracker with a very odd undertone of sweetness. Hard to describe other than to say it almost smells "old".

T. Decent tasting for an almost mass produced beer. Leans heavily to the malty side of things - it does get a bit tiring after about a half of a glass.

M. Good mouthfeel with adequate carbonation.

D. Goes down easy enough given its moderate ABV. The taste does get tiring rather quickly. If given a choice between this and BMC, I will take this beer anytime. I guess that isn't saying a whole lot though.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Served on tap in a pint glass. Clear dark amber/red color with a small head which dissipates quickly. Light lacing.

Very light bready aroma. Kind of a spicy maltiness. Sounds odd, but it's what comes to mind.

Unique yeasty flavor. I like the "background" hoppiness that is understated, but adds a light bitterness.

I've had this from the bottle many times. A very solid beer often thought of as a gateway beer to craft offerings. Could easily be a daily drinker. I like it.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle poured in a tulip glass.

Enjoyed during my trip to Pleasanton, California at the Marriott Hotel. Nice beer. Its bottle is for sure a tribute to the Belgium Trappists.

A: Pours a nice clear dark amber color with a reasonable head which dissipates leaving some lacings

S: Caramel malts, basically. Sweet and biscuity. Light fresh hops

T: Follows the nose: Very bready and biscuity (this is the most biscuity beer I've ever had). However not sweet as the smell (fortunately). Light citrus hop bitter end

M: Light body, reasonable carbonation

D: Good beer. Quite unique

4.11/5  rDev +14.5%

Now here is a beer I have been dieing to try. I have heard only good things. I was not dissapointed. It pours a deep amber color that makes one know there will be a fine maltiness to the brew. The smell is not the best for a beer of this quality and gives off a note of roasted malt that overcomes all the other aromas. Not even entirely sure where it comes from.
The taste though, is what got me hooked. I never expected this beer to be as big as it was. There is a lot of slepndid malt to this brew, and if you are a fan of the "big boy" beers, you'll really enjoy this one.

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Pours a brilliant clear amber with an off-white moundy head that takes it's time going down. Provides beautiful sheets of lacing.

S - Roasted husky grain, pale malt, toast,

T - Doughy bread, sweet pale malt, hints of grain, green pears, subtle spice after the middle. A small amount of bitterness at the end.

M - Moderate carbonation. Light a crisp.

Flavors are a bit watered down. Toasted grain seemed to be the dominate flavor. It's not outstanding but I could drink a few of these. I wish there was a little more flavor.

4.6/5  rDev +28.1%

The magical part of this beer is the way that you can smell exactly what you will be tasting. A creamy, malty aroma embraces a carmel/sugar/whatever-sweet-candy-you-can-think-of overtone. Fat Tire is a friggin' bouncy castle in a bottle. The taste is so malty and creamy that these flavors remain consistent throughout anything you taste afterwards. There is a distinct sweet aftertaste, pretty much candy, inside of that friggin' bouncy castle, inside of that bottle. Overall, all your worries come back at the bottom of the glass. This is easily one of the most adaptable beers out there.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Beer is amber and clear with moderate carbonation and a big white head of large bubbles that collapses leaving some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet and mildly spicy.

Beer is surprisingly thin, grainy on the mid and late palates. It's thin on the front of the mouth and has a grainy aftertaste. It's not very pleasing overall. Just one of those beer that eventually you have to get around to trying, now I have.

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz bottle at Boiling Pot, Rocport, TX. Pours amber color with a thing, short lived head. Aroma is of ripe fruit, caramel malt with bread notes. Flavor of fruit, juicy malt and yeast balanced by citrus hops. Not a bad brew when nothing else available.

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: clear, reddish brown small head.

S: big biscuity, malt smell.

T: very bready, sweet malt, tad to much carbonation.

M: bubbly and crisp.

D: It's solid beer, many people new to craft beers seem to love this one. I'm not a huge fan of amble ales, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - Clear, amber/orange/copper color. Slight off white head that had pretty good retention and lacing. Yellow highlights around the edges.

Smell - Sweet caramel malt in the nose. Picking up a decent bready, biscuit aroma. Some sweet fruitiness of some kind. Not sure what.

Taste - Sweet caramel comes through at first with the taste. The bread and biscuit follows nicely. Again, getting some type of fruitiness. Peach or something. Really sweet!!!

Mouthfeel - Medium to thin mouthfeel. Mostly dry. Smooth. A little bit left on the palate.

Drinkability - This beer is pretty good with a meal. It might be a bit too sweet for some to drink all night. I could have another however.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Pouring from the growler, it has a light amber color with a very small head. As this is the third or fourth pour, the head is gone in minutes.

S: Bready smell with a bit of malt.

T: Like the smell, a bread-like taste dominates. Some toasted malt accompanies, though nothing overwhelming.

M: Pretty crisp. Light bodied for an amber ale. Carbonation is high.

D: Very drinkable. Goes down easy.

I don't get this one in the growler that often at New Belgium, but when I'm in the mood for it, it works.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing