Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
2.53/5  rDev -29.5%

Well, I gotta say, I just don't like Ambers. The Fat tire amber ale is very common out here, and lots of my friends drink it regularly. In fact, that's where I had my last one, at a friends house.

Color is good, nice dark amber. Smells wheaty and grainy with a little hop. Tastes blands to me, not much in it to get me going, but like I said, I don't really like ambers. Mouthfeel is flat. Not a beer I will be looking to drink more of.

Cascadia, Jun 09, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

This was an "import" from Illinois, as we don't have this brand here in WI. I had once when out west a few years ago, but with its rise in popularity, I wanted to revisit it to see what the fuss is about it. And I must say I don't get it. First, I don't understand the terminology of a "Belgian style" amber. The beer is OK , but I've certainly had better amber ale's (in recent memory - McTarnahan's, for example). Recommended for the curious, but not for anyone else.

Appearance was indeed amber, with good "Belgian" lacing. Aroma was faintly malty, but not distinctive. Flavor was roastier than I would've expected, but as it warmed it had a malty sweetness that I didn't expect and didn't reall feel fit with the rest of the beer's flavor. Mouthfeel was nothing special (good or bad), but this beer struck me as one you could drink quite a bit of, if you really liked the way it tastes (I'll pass).

BeerBelcher, Jun 02, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The 12oz bottle says it expires August of 2007, poured into a pint glass.

Color is a burnt orange, not much red and very clear. Smallish head dissipated pretty quick.

The beer smells mostly of the roasted grains. I agree with the consensus, bready, slightly sweet, just a tiny bit of herbal hops is discernible.

I noticed a slight citrus taste at the front of my mouth in addition to the sweet, bready malt that doesn't change as I swallow and experience the aftertaste. It's very straightforward without much complexity. Just a tiny bit of hops tasted at the end.

Mouthfeel is clean to me, creamy and refreshing. Nothing unpleasant, but still not leaving any striking memories.

I remember thinking Fat Tire was more memorable than this. My tastes have matured some, and I'm realizing it's just a refreshing, straightforward, accessible quaff that's easy to put down.

josiahschlender, May 29, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On a recent trip to Denver, I had the opportunity to sample and resample Fat Tire repeatedly, it being something of a family favorite. Straight from the bottle or poured into a pint glass in a restaurant, no matter what, this beer is the real deal. Malty, smooth taste, finished with light crisp hops that compliment, rather than compete with the malts. Dark amber color, slight frothy head (in the glass), great aroma. This is definitely one of my new go-to's...provided I'll be able to find it on the east coast.

Put this beer this way: My dad is a Coors Light/Busch kind of guy. He swears by those two beers (though he has been known to go for a guinness or a Honey Brown on occasion). He loves this beer. This, to him, is beer exploration (which he isn't the biggest fan of, unlike my brother and I) at its best. So if you know someone who's not a huge fan of branching out, buy them a Fat Tire. They just might thank you for it!

HaVoKnYnJ, May 27, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

A good beer to try when you feel like you want something different. This has a nice dark amber color to it with a caramel scent there is also a nice foam but mind you there is not bitterness here. You could probably get a 6 and call it a night depending on your tolerance.

choyhosoi, May 27, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

From the bottle into a shaker glass - Pours a light golden color. Aroma is malty and maybe some caramel as well. Flavor is also malty with some hoppiness. This is one of my standbys when I don’t want to spend too much extra on a gourmet beer. Currently comes by the case for about $28 in Coeur d’Alene’s Costco.

rm0312, May 22, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

22 ounce brown bomber dated best-before July 27th 2007.

Pours transparent copper with three-quarters inch of white head plus light lacing. Smells like sweet biscuit malt with a bit of caramel and fresh green hops. Flavor features gently toasted sweet caramel malts with balancing leafy hop notes. Crisp, too-light, and over-bubbly body. Not a lot going on here, but the beer is clean and quite refreshing on a hot day. A decent entry level beer for beginners and a good lawn-mower drink for the rest of us.

dgallina, May 16, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

my girlfriend loooves fat tire..shes a consistent gin and tonic conniseur, but this is just about the only beer she will drink. i decided to pick some up tonight and i dont regret it.

i cant get over the smell and taste of this beer. just like the label says, its nice and biscuity. good malts and hops. i remember when i first had it it reminded me of burnt toast. almost like a burnt wood scent would taste, if you can imagine.

ive grown to really enjoy this beer. good if youre looking for an interesting drink.

halfassedjedi, May 13, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Six Pack
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - Pours in a pale redish gold flow. The 1/2 inch head stays for a minute or so before leaving a whispy cloud of white at the surface. The caronation appears to have faded as only a few bubbles rise to the top.

Smell - There is a hoppyness to the scent craeting a bitter aroma. It's a faint scent and needs to be inhaled deeply before really recognising it.

Taste - The taste is subtle until it reaches the back of my throat. It is bitter but the bitterness isn't too strong. It has an enjoyable flavor. It has the hoppyness of an ale while offering a hint of stiffness a red might throw at you.

Mouthfeel - There is really a softness to the feel of this beer. I'm not used to ambers with that kind of soft appeal.

~ All in all I have always enjoyed this beer. Whenever it's available in Central Wisconsin I take advantage. If you've never tried one, add it to your ToDo list.

cdkrenz, May 13, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

The amber ale is the hallmark of local beer. Malty enough to show the character of your region, but mild enough to demand immediate consumption before it goes dull. And, that said, Fat Tire might be just fine for Fort Collins, but it's a waste of shelf space in Chicago.

The arrogant allocation and labeling (try finding the "Chicago" bottling anywhere downstate) only emphasize how big of a sham this beer is. It doesn't belong here and now amount of packaging will change that.

Because this is not our red ale. Compared to the classic Bell's amber (which has sadly left Illinois) or New Holland's smoky Red Tulip, this is a boring affair--one more worthy to be chugged from the bottle than poured into a glass.

It's bready, lacks hops, and can't decide if it wants to taste like chocolate chips or Cherrios.

The beer's fine, but it aggravates me. Maybe because New Belgium's selection is so profoundly varied and complex. This is the cash cow--the brewery's throwaway beer--and I'm a chump for buying it.

Relax, relaxx.
ng

ngandhi, May 11, 2007
Photo of
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz. bottle

Clear, dark gold/amber color. Medium sized, creamy, ivory colored head.

Mild earthy scent. Caramel. Yeast & bread dough. Hops are AWOL.

Taste has coffee notes, but fairly mild. Overall, more sweet than bitter. Caramel. Not much hops, just a bit at the finish -- grassy/herbal.

Medium + in body. Medium carbonation. Overall, very refreshing.

Very easy to drink. Nice session beer. Not as balanced as I would like an amber to be, even given my hop preference.

, May 10, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into a standard pint glass. The label has an old-style red bicycle, leaning against a tree. Listed as best before 01JUN07. I cracked this baby open with a Fat Tire goblet shaped bottle opener a friend gave me just today.

Appearance: Pours with a 1/2 inch almost white head. This settles very slowly into a 1/4 inch coating of dense foam with a ton of lacing. The beer itself is a medium amber and perfectly clear.

Smell: Slightly metallic, bready malt aroma.

Taste: A little toasted/burnt flavor upfront, in a pleasant way. Hops are not as present as I would have expected. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is excellent.

Drinkability: Very nice. A malty beer, just my style. I have heard a lot about New Belgium's flagship beer, so it is nice to finally try it.

beveritt, May 07, 2007

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a DFH shaped pint. Dated best by: 13JUL07. Three fingers of off white head lingered on a clear amber body.

Smell was wet hay. Manure (?) in a positive, farmhouse kind of way. Husky grains after it warmed further.

Taste was honey doused biscuits. Sweetness up front turned to a mild bitterness with a relatively short finish.

Mouthfeel was smooth. Body was medium/thin.

Cresant, May 06, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a standby when from the local supermarket with a bad selection.

A- One finger head that lacks retentions and translucent caramel color.
S- I actually love the smell of this beer. It smells floral and earthy at the same time. Hoppy sweetness.
T- Like it smells. I used to think the taste was like peanuts but I now associate that taste with biscuits, well, because thats a much better description. Hops and sweet, not too much of either. Too much of an alcohol taste for such a quenchable beer.
M- Decent- Crisp, well carbonated and slightly sticky
D- I like this beer when I can't get more serious craft beers. I love recommending it to friends who only drink the macro beers. Very sessionable, I find myself drinking one or two more of these than beers with more depth.

rmfyeah, May 04, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -15%

Deeo golden color with a nice two finger head that quickly goes away but the lacing goes on forever.
Good crbonation is eveident.
Mouthfeel seems to be very good...full, amost oily in feel.
Good balance between the malt and hops.
Very fruity flavor...no bitterness on the palate

dmamiano, May 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I did this review of Fat Tire, it had been so long since my previous bottle, I had nearly forgotten just how good this beer is. It pours a light amber w/ ~1/2" of frothy head, maintains decent glass stick throughout the session. Nice aroma of toasty, caramel malts & matching tastes. Very smooth beer that has a bit of richness but is not overly thick. A real easy drinking beer that goes down way too easy. This was the first New Belgium brew that made its way to Nebraska, and my life is better for it.

mbutter1997, Apr 29, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +17%

Average amber appearance, light head that fades quickly. Rich smells of sweet malts, similarly to the taste. Taste is delicious: smooth and sugary (but not overly so), with a slight taste of citrus at the end. It's quite smooth, lightly carbonated, feels great to drink. Light enough to have many, but heavy enough to not taste watered down.

micahgoldfus, Apr 26, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

This is your starter brew, folks. If anyone is resistant to craft brews, this is definately a step in the right direction. The taste is a bit weak and the appearance is that of a macro, but that is what you need. Smells very good, some quailty malt and very slight hint of sugar and hops. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy like hot cocoa. Very drinkable.

supercolter, Apr 26, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

I had this beer while in California at the Yard House as well as at Riptide in Mission Viejo. I really enjoyed how smooth and light it was. I am extremely disappointed that it is not available anywhere near I live. It is definitely a beer that I would seesion with.

cpn920, Apr 21, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

I remember having this in Colorado several years back, and I can't get it in Florida, so upon figuring out that I could actually mail order beer, I ordered some stuff. Among that stuff was a couple bottles of Fat Tire.

Appearance - Pale amber, formative head, not much lacing.

Smell is pretty distinct for a lower alcohol amber ale. A spicy citric aroma, kind of like an orange spice tea.

Taste....oh yeah, I remember this. I was sitting at a bar in Boulder and had this with a cheeseburger, and thought it a distinctive taste. Kind of *tastes* like the air inside of a fat bike tire, if that makes any sense....and I actually don't mean that as a negative. Kind of a pleasurable chocolate and rubber mustiness, yes, it's all coming back to me. Rather unconventional...weird....but it works. Moderately alcoholic in the finish...I can actually taste some alcohol, which I also find odd for a 5.6% brew. Pairs well with grilled foods, salads, pretty much anything.

Mouthfeel is just right for this style.

Well, this is an oddball beer. This isn't going to be everyone's bag, but among its adherents (and I suppose I can count myself as one), this is very drinkable, and a nice session beer.

Patrick999, Apr 21, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

I like this beer a lot; it is one of my favorites. It is smooth, not overpowering, easy to drink, and has a good body. Its not too sweet like other New Belgium brands nor is it too bitter or too strong. Overall just the right balance of everything. A dark beer with light beer drinkability.

npslaugh, Apr 19, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

One of the first beers i enjoyed in america, in bottle or tap, always a good fall back beer! ...The rich smell is what i noticed first, then the pour. Nice and quite ruby-tanned . Good taste and good after taste, quite an enjoyable brew, and the price, not bad at all for 2 bucks a big bottle!..very nice bitters too...I also like the fact that alot of bars that serve only BMC products will usually have this too !

Onslow, Apr 15, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fat tire was the first "micro" i remember trying. Pours a beautiful copper color with a nice white head that settles quickly, leaving some foam on the surface. Smells of malt and yeast, maybe some kind of pear or apple. Tastes of malt, maybe some citrus. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Very easy to have a few of....

BigJTrucker, Apr 03, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Pours brownish-amber (duh!) with a thick foamy white head. Nice.

S: Matly sweetness, a lot of apples with a slightly bready undertone.

T: Like smooth apple cider, a hint of citrus in the finish. Finishes clean and slightly sweet.

M: Thin, lightly carbonated.

D: Good beer, a nice dinner drink or just something to relax with.

danielharper, Apr 02, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

The description on the bottle is quite accurate. Biscuit-like aroma and flavor are a direct result of the yeast used by New Belgium Brewing. Pay close attention to the serving temperature and try to pour into your favorite beer glass rather than drink from the bottle. The aroma gets me every time. I think the bitterness is very appropriate for this style of brewing. This is a very well constructed amber ale.

jtslay, Mar 29, 2007