Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

12oz can into a snifter (I started with a heavier stout so I kept the glass the same)

A: Pours a perfect amber with a small head that fades quickly leaving a small amount of lacing on the glass as you drink.

S: The nose is mostly caramel malt and sweet bready grain. Nothing crazy but just plain good.

T: The taste is loads of sweet caramel malt, light toffee, and I swear I detect the slightest coffee flavor...maybe something like a slightly watered down frapachino with a lot of caramel in it (that sounds worse than it tastes).

M: The feel is slightly creamy and medium-light bodied.

D: This has always been a favorite and it's just as good if not better out of the can. If I see this on draft in a predominantly BMC bar I don't think twice about ordering it.

I love this trend of canning beers and look forward to hopefully being able to buy other New Belgium beers in the can in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

This is a solid beer. Nothing great, but it's pretty widely available in its distribution area and not too expensive, on par with Sam Adams and Sierra. The beer is a fairly solid amber, with good malty and caramel flavors, a light clean bitterness and a slightly sweet finish.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear coppery body. Good head retention and lacing.

Smell: Lots of biscuit malt.

Taste: Very malt centered taste. Moderate bitterness. No hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Too watery. Needs either more carbonation or more sugar to give it a more full feel.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours an unusually clear reddish amber color. Has a thin white had that dissipates quickly, leaving a small ring that stays throughout.

Has a very faint aroma. Primarily smells of sweet malts and hops, with a little bit of spiciness, and a slight hint of honey.

Has a very sweet, bready flavor, with hints of malts and caramel. The finish has just the slightest bit of spice to it, and a touch of hoppy bitterness that lingers on the palate.

Light medium in body. It could have used a little more carbonation; as it stands, it felt a little flat. But other than that it was very smooth and left just the right amount of dryness on the tongue.

For a beer that feels as light as this does, it's surprisingly heavy. About half-way through pint number two you really start to feel it. Tastes good and goes down smooth, just don't try to drink it all night long.

2.76/5  rDev -23.1%

Clear bubbly red amber with a big foamy tan head with good retention and uneven lacing. Aromas of floral hops and... tires? A fairly hop forward amber that tips back to pale malts and a rather odd flavor not unlike rubber. A crisp mouthfeel with light bittering and finish.

I swear it really does smell like tire air. Perhaps that's where they got the name or it's just a subliminal hint applied to an odd odor and taste I detected in this beer. Either way, it's not my cup of tea though it's not really bad although I certainly had little desire for another one, and I usually like NB.

4.41/5  rDev +22.8%

appearance - a nice amber color, glistening softly in my glass. Good looking beer, a bit flat with regard to carbonation, but i think it worked towards the favor of the beer.

smell - spicy flavors, bisquity hops all over. not too much to fire up the nostrils, but soft and nice.

Taste - exceptional flavor, great tasting beer. Spices work together well. Bisquity hopes and toasty malt flavorings pair very nicely. Truly a great recipe and one to follow. NB's flagship beer indeed.

mouthfeel - exceptional. worked well on the palette and left a dry mustiness that had me wanting more.

Drinkability - very easy beer to drink, flavorings allow for multiple food pairings. Again the spice of this beer really has me intrigued. The only other beer I've noticed that much spice on is Full Sail's Session Lager. Not much on IBU's 16 or so, but a great beer indeed...

I'm thirsty Boyz.!!!

2.38/5  rDev -33.7%

Had this on tap in Clear Lake on Nasa Road 1 in the bar at the Holiday in near Hwy 3.

not much on the aroma at all, hard to pick up anything other than a faint malt.

Taste was smooth, but the finish left a taste faintly reminiscent of french fries for some reason. I originally got it for my wife because I was drinking. St. Arnold's Amber Ale. She didn't like her Fat Tire so I swapped glasses with her. After 2-3 drinks of the Fat Tire I gave it to a buddy who ended up finishing it off.

Mouth feel was as expected. Finish was short but as described above.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Consumed straight from the bottle.

Nose was sweet, bready, biscuits. Palate leads off with a slight sweetness of honey followed by a mild citrus hop and then a light malt backbone. The total package when combined with a medium texture and medium carbonation makes a very drinkable brew.

Finally took time to 'officially' review this brew of which I've had many over the years. Sitting at a bar (during my wife's 20th year reunion) in the depths of south central South Dakota where the choices were expected fare aka Bud, Miller, and friends, and, whoa what? Fat Tire. Go figure. I honestly don't think the four-or so- Coors Lights I had before the Fat Tire skewed my review. Oasis good.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle, standard pint glass

A - somewhat gentle pour yields about half an inch of forthy and fuzzy very light tan colored foam. the beer is crystal clear, gold in color.

S - big bready malt, honey covered biscuits, cinnamon, nutmeg...one of those distinctive beers that has a smell all to itself.

T - following the nose, first with dominating biscuity malts, freshly baked sweet bread sprinkled with powdered sugar, sweet. lightly spicy cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe some pumkin or squash. minimal but present herbal earthy hops for a small kick in the finish.

M - light bodied, almost a little watery. moderate carbonation, finishes crisp and just slightly oily.

D - easy to see how this is appealing to the masses, and a great "intro" to craft classic. strong but friendly flavors...resfreshing, i wouldnt mind drinking this whenever possible, more than most of the BMC swill out there. compliments some freshly baked zucchini bread rather nicely.

4.49/5  rDev +25.1%

First off big thanks to Dros and Willy for getting this beer to me from North Carolina all the way to Maryland via 14 hour drive.

What a interesting beer. Pored from a bottle into a pint glass after letting it sit in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the head settles theres a thin tan lacing that lasts for the duration.

The taste threw me off the first time I tried it. The second time I came to it I was a little more mature. After tastes a little sharp when chilled too much, after letting the room temp warm it up it transforms into probably my favorite beer yet. The taste resembles some sort of sugar with a strong aftertaste. Wish I could give a more educated review on this one to do it justice, but really this is a great beer to try if you can get it.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%

Fat tire really is an excellent craft beer. It pours a medium amber with some lacing. It's very sweet smelling with a hint of biscuits. The taste starts a honey and begins a citrus hop taste. Average mouthfeel that is medium bodied. It's very drinkable. I'd drink this beer again but i couldn't see drinking it too often as i'd prefer something with a little more body and a little less sweetness.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

The hype on this beer is well-known. . . and mostly it is deserved. On the East coast, my friends had heard of it, but not tried it, so I brought a case out, iced it down, and let the tastings begin.

This is a very good "starter" Belgian Ale. . . not for the Bud Light crowd. . . it requires patience and a somewhat developed palette at first if you're new to it.

The pros: not heavily carbonated, so you don't get a bite that covers the flavor. The flavor is a bit on the sweet side, and that can be a welcome thing compared to some of the thicker Belgians out there.

The cons: more than 2, and it starts getting heavy. . . but not a satisfying kind of "WOW". . . just heavy, like, I can't have any more of that.

I understand this isn't a technical review. . . not how I function. . . but as someone else said, this is a good gateway beer into a new world outside the American mainstream beers, and will start your journey to some very interesting places!

Recommended!

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at Casa de JMHart, served into a frosty mug.

Picked up a keg of this for a 4th of July party to satisfy both BAs and non-BAs.

A- Pours a copper brown color, crystal clear, with an almond color head, one finger thick and heavy. Head is firm but fades into a nice lace. Could use a bit more red to the color.

S- Strong caramel malt with a subtle noble hop flavor, but mostly malty caramel, almost overwhelmingly caramel.

T- Caramel malts with hints of prunes. The caramel malts are so strong that they overwhelm any other flavors.

M- Creamy and a little bready. Moderate carbonation. Smooth.

D- Highly drinkable. Not the greatest flavor palate, but it's a good brew, with a gigantic availability, and a good price. I can drink this any time, and more and more I find it available in bars that typically only carry BMC. This, Anchor Steam, and Shiner Bock turned me on to craft brew nearly a decade ago, so I've got to give it high marks for being a great gateway beer.

Haters to the left! Remember your roots!

3.34/5  rDev -7%

Appearance- Very light coppery in color. Medium to low carbonation. Very little head retention.

Smell- Definitely smell the biscuit malts. Very one note in the smell.

Taste- Very clean front taste with a distinctive mild bitter after bite in the back taste followed by a very smooth after taste.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth and silky mouthfeel. Light and slightly watery but very easy on the palate.

Drinkability- Very high. I could drink two or three of these in a session. A very sessionable beer.

Though I feel this beer is over hyped by the general public, I have a soft spot in my heart for NB beer since I went to college at CSU in Fort Collins and this was a common beer my buddies and I would enjoy in college.

I rarely drink it and am amazed how Fat Tire went from a beer I could only get in CO in the mid-90's to pretty much anywhere now.

2.26/5  rDev -37%

I had this beer on tap at a pizza joint. It didn't live up to the hype.

Appearance was dark, golden brown

Smell was hardly there

Taste was a little to sweet, even for an amber. It lacked complexity that I enjoy in many microbrews.

Mouthfeel was nice, with good carbonation.

Drinkability was fine, but the sweetness made it hard to finish. I will refrain from ordering this beer again.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

From tasting notes. This is a go-to beer for me as it's widely available where I live. Fat tire was also the first true "craft beer" I tried back in college.

A- Medium-amber, somewhat effervescent. Lacing is about finger-width with moderate retention.

S- Scents of honey, roasted malt, and biscuits. Pleasant but not overpowering.

T- Honey flavors are present in the front palate, transitioning to slightly citrusy hop bitterness. Finishes malty.

M- Medium-bodied, average mouthfeel. Nothing special but nothing detrimental either.

D- Very drinkable and balanced amber ale that pairs well with many foods. Easy to see why it's so popular.

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a beer mug.

A: Pours a clear copper with a nice frothy off-white head that climbs over the rim of the glass. A constant stream of carbonation climbs from the base to the top of the glass.

S: Very balanced aroma. Caramel sweetness and grassy hop notes compliment each other well with a strong malty backbone.

T: Again, perfectly balanced. The attack is spicy and herbal, followed by more caramel notes. The finish is slightly bitter from the hops and goes well with the sweet and grassy body.

M: Crisp and bubbly. The body is just light enough, with a slightly dry finish.

D: I finally got to try this classic symbol of craft beer, and I wasn't disappointed. Balanced is the perfect word to describe this brew, it has all the right combinations of flavors. At the same time, it's simple and light enough for anyone to enjoy.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

I heard this beer was supposed to be very good before i tried it for the first time. So i did have some expectations going into this and I feel Fat Tire met those expectations. Pours an amber color with a white head that leaves a little lacing. Smells of malts and caramel. To the taste, Fat tire is a bready with some caramel and its a little bitter. (just the right ammount of bitterness) It has a nice medium body that is sorta smooth. Overall, its an enjoyable beer to drink, one that is appreciated by many. To me, this is the beer that defines the category.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear amber color with medium size white head. Good head retention and thick ladder-like lacing. The aroma is fairly mild, mostly sweet malts.

Taste is sweet bready malts with enough bitterness to cut the swetness- like a dopplebock lite.

Mouthfeel is rich and inviting. Drinkability is excellent. This would be a beer to seek out for sessions. Low abv and very tasty.

2.38/5  rDev -33.7%

This is one of those beers with a reputation that exceeds its actual wonderfulness. It's not awful, but overall I found it unexceptional in every way. I just drank about 2/3 of a bottle, and poured the rest down the sink. This never happens with a beer I really like.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

A the Flying Saucer in Memphis, TN. Into an American pint glass, it poured a cloudy copper-amber with one finger of white that feel rather quickly, but decent lacing. Modest carbonation. Smelled of malt, nuts, and a hint of dark fruit. The taste was much more complex, beginning on a winey/apricot not, progressing to a malty/nutty mix, and then finishing sweet. Subtle carbonation; medium and smooth. Good session ale.

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

On tap at a local dive bar.

Apperance - Amber color, came to the table with no head.

Smell - Don't remember.

Taste - It has a unique biscuity malt flavor that I've come to call the "New Belgiun flavor," but not much else going on. Great for cold weather.

Mouthfeel - I think with the interesting biscuit flavor, it could benefit from more body. As it is, it's a little thin.

Drinkability - I may have problems with the thin body, but because of it, this stuff goes down easy.

I have fond memories of going to the New Belgium brewery and having a canner hand me a fresh can of this stuff. It's a classic and easy to find.

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%

Has an awesome appearance of light tan head that towers over my glass easily and retains perfectly. The body is copper in color and has absolutely no haze.

In the aroma the hint of lemony hops and toffee meld well.

In the taste there is more of a tea and toffee taste than expected. This seems more of an English style pale ale, than an American Red Ale.

The mouth feel is light and crisp with mild carbonation. I'm glad I retried this beer, it seems to carry it's own weight; however, seems to be falsely categorized.

4.31/5  rDev +20.1%

A - Deep Amber color, beautiful carbonation and on a good pour, I can get 3 fingers of thick head.

S - Very bready smell.

T - Caramel notes behind a bready, cereal malt taste

M - fairly light mouthfeel for how dark the beer is.

D - This is my beer of choice on the average day, so I don't exactly nurse it. A+ on Drinkability.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

I had at Margaritaville in Myrtle Beach.
A- It has a good foamy head and lace with a gold, clear color.
S- No real scent to it.
T- It is honey sweet and very crisp. The honey, though, definitely jumps out. It is a good summer beer for sitting outside with.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing