Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

A light red amber color with a small tan head that dissapates quickly. The nose brings a fruity, yeasty quality that ends in a fresh grain fade. Light body with just enough malt and a zesty mild hop sting. The finish ends with a fresh baked bread taste with a hint of honey. This american session ale can convert even a bud drinker. Very easy to drink several in a row.

athensbeermaster, Jan 25, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

This pours a medium brown color. The head is very nice and stays around, thus the good appearance rating.

The nose is less appealing to me. It is some sort of a grassy malty odor. The beer smells fresh just not appealing to me.

The taste is equally balanced between malt and hops. Good carbonated bite. The drawback is that this is kind of watery. This also affects the mouthfeel. Overall pretty enjoyable beer.

daledeee, Jan 24, 2008

Since they dont distribute to SC I was lucky to be able to taste a few of these beers while I was out in Colardo skiing.

A:There is a clear filtered amber color. It is very carbonated and has a nice white head.
S:There is a nice malty sweetness to the beer. Also there is a mild fresh hop aroma.
T:There is a very nutty flavor to the beer. The flavor is pairs very well with the rest of the beer. There is some complexity from the hops. On the mid-palate there is some sweetness. Also I noticed some mild fruitness.
MF:Light body.
D:Very easy to drink. There is a light mouth feel so it is easy to drink a few. Also the flavor is not too aggressive, which makes for easy drinkability.

abedenbaugh, Jan 22, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Based off my notes from my LA trip. Pours a clear copper color with an average head that dissipated into a nice cap. The smell is rather disappointing; some light toasted malt. The taste is of toasted malt, roasted peanuts, and a light floral hop in the end. The feel is light but not watery and finishes well balanced. A solid amber brew with some nice toasted/roasted flavors. Good drinkability but I'm not exactly sure what all the hype is over this beer.

Gmann, Jan 21, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +10%

I had this a few times this week in Vegas, so I decided id review it.

It pours a copper color, with a nice head.

Smells of biscuit, very malty.

Lightly hopped, but done well. Tastes of biscuits and malt, with a tad bit of spice to it.

Good mouthfeel, not overly thin or too thick.

Drinkability is great on this, I could easily make this a session beer if it were available in Indiana.

Well my wife fell in love with Fat Tire, and my bosses wife who is a Coors Light drinker tried it and really liked it. Its nothing amazing, but a very solid offering that is a easy crossover.

JToad, Jan 19, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured an attractive copper color with a generous white head that lasted throughout and left nice lacing around glass. Nice roasted malt aroma. The flavor was was toasty malt and biscuity with just a hint of hops. Tasted a lot like Abita Amber to me. Nice mouthfeel and high drinkability. Nice beer.

biggmike, Jan 16, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Best by March 7, 2008.

a: Clear amber with a thick and frothy cram colored head and good lacing.

s: Caramel, toffee, biscuity malt and floral hops.

t: Biscuity caramel malt, toffee, light hop bitterness in the finish.

m: Creamy with a crisp finish and medium body.

d: The flagship beer of the New Belgium Brewery, Fat Tire may not be their best beer, but it is an excellent crossover beer. A great introduction to craft brew in general and New Belgium in particular. Certainly quaffable, a great session beer.
Not too complex, but quite balanced.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 13, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

the color is a nice copper but whatever minimal head immediately there was immediately dissipated. it smells of sweet malts and citrusy fruits as well as just a hint of hops. the taste is where this beer really starts to shine. it has nice toasted maltiness as the predominant flavor and then finishes with just a hint of hoppy bitter. it is nice and creamy and lightly carbonated and overall is a really good beer that is well balanced and highly drinkable.

hoegaardenhero, Jan 11, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Slightly malty, faintly sweet smelling. Good body, well balanced taste, and aftertaste, and quite easy to drink. Somewhat of a cocoa like chalky, toasty biscuity maltiness to it. Pretty decent beer, and definitely not what you’d expect from a traditional amber, but in a good, unique way. Nice beer.

JDV, Jan 07, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Fat Tire is a well-established name here in California, tho its accessibility is next-to-naught outside of the Western US.
We pour it on-tap at my workplace, and it always gives a nice, creamy head. The color is a clear amber, with red overtones. Not much scent other than that of malt, but admittedly I usually taste this before I sniff.
The selling point of this beer is the roasting & toasting of the malts New Beligium adds to their signature brew. I personally can't get enough toasted malt in my beer, which is what keeps me coming back for more. There is some hop presence, enough to please purists, but not overpowering enough to keep this from being a great "session beer". The carbonation also sticks with it enough through the end of a pint to keep the first sip as enjoyable as the last.
All the NB products I have tried have been great, but keep coming back to the Fat Tire due to its exceptional drinkability & malt flavor...making this my go-to beer in bars & restaurants which don't go out of their way to please beer geeks like myself.

Natural510, Jan 06, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +10%

Had this beer on tap at Mayslacks in NE Minneapolis on a recent trip to MN. Had heard a lot about it, but never came across this brew in Cowtown, OH.

Came across the bar in a New Belgium Brewery Fat Tire snifter. A cool glass, wanted to lift it, but restrained myself. Translucent amber color with 1/2 finger head that rapidly receded. No lacing.

Not much in the way of nose. Very light malt and barely detectable hops.

Very light body, crisp, with a very dry after taste. A bit of bitter hops aftertaste.

Interesting beer, hard to think of something to compare it too. Nothing spectacular, but unique and would try it again.

elmore, Jan 05, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Beautiful copper color with thick foamy head which drops to a thin layer but leaves lots of lacing.

Smells malty with very little hop presence. Taste is the same with just enough hops to keep the malt from getting overpowering.

Nice creamy mouthfeel makes this a very drinkable beer... the ABV might not cooperate, but I could drink 12 of these right now!

tmitch75, Jan 05, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +29.5%

I have to admit, I was hooked from the get go on this one. This is the beer I get when I am in Texas. I really enjoy this one with a good juicy rare steak. By all means this one is my favorite beer of recent. I have tried the Abby that they offer but this one has blown my socks off.

skeetermoses, Dec 30, 2007

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Nice clear amber color with an slightly off-white head that lingers throughout the glass. Nice lacing.

S- Malt explosion. I cannot recall a maltier nose on a beer.

T- More sweet malt. Nice bready flavor that is offset nicely with a slight bitter hoppiness. Very flavorful beer.

M- Surprising, not too heavy or thick (syrupy?). I thought that the mouth would be heavier due to the maltiness, but was pleasantly surprised to find this brew had a crisp, clean finish to it.

D- Just makes me wish that New Belgium would open up the distribution to the "other half" of the country. But, perhaps that would take a little something away from this beer.

usmittymc, Dec 28, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Thanks to my wife for picking up a sixer while in Denver. We don't get any New Belgium offerings in Michigan. Well, I guess Fat Tire lived up to its hype. It was a bit paler than amber in color, and had a nice roasted chocolate aftertaste. The malt was fine and I really coundn't taste the hops, but their presence was detectable. One thing to note was that the first bottle was mildly carbonated (which I like), and the second bottle was a bit more fizzy (which I don't like).

Upgrayedd, Dec 28, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a St. Feuillian chalice.

A: Crystal-clear amber/gold color. Clingy, bubbly, off-white head that leaves quite a bit of lacey spots.

S: Toasted biscuits and some off-putting, funky smelling grains. Is that celery?

T: See above with some vaguely sweet caramel malt and a tiny bit of hops.

M: Dry and bitter. Some creaminess towards the finish.

D: As weird as this smells and tastes it is fairly drinkable. Of course, I can think of many other beers to drink before I'd ever come back to this...yawn.

GbVDave, Dec 20, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, pours a light amber color with a white head that dissapated fairly quickly. smell is slightly sweet and bisquity really not that strong at all. taste is of sweet malts and mild hops. mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. drinkability is very good.

jayfarley3, Dec 17, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +10%

Brought back a few of these from a motorcycle trip out west.

Pours a solid amber color with a fluffy white head that laces down the side of the glass. Smell is biscuit malt and floral hops. Taste is malty bready biscuity with a hop twang in the background. Full body with medium carbonation. Certainly a decent brew, wish I didn't have to drive so far to get it.

johnnnniee, Dec 14, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Big thanks to jasonjlewis for this bomber! Sampled it with my big brother along with DFH punkin and Stone's Arogant Bastard.

Orange golden ale pours with a beautiful head that refuses to dissipate quicky (must be a NB thing, the abbey was the same). Big malt biscuity and floral hoppy aroma's, flavor is the similar to aroma. Easy drinker, could gulp this down all afternoon!!!

bloberglawp, Dec 10, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

I had this one on-tap at the Roadhouse Bar & Grill.

A: An amber colored beer with lots of carbonation. A milky whitehead slowly dissipates as it is consumed.

S: Smell is not intense, but sweet malt can be whiffed throughout.

T: Sweet malt taste can be enjoyed throughout with a hint of hop flavoring. The carbonation also helps this one taste great throughout. This beer is definitely reminiscent of a belgian ale, but not as yeasty or having intense alcohol flavor.

M: Light and very carbonated. Not thick, but what you would expect from an ale.

D: Easily drinkable as the ABV is only 5.2%. A definitive, easy session beer.

I had this one in a bottle after I first moved back to the mainland. After hearing much hype form a close friend, I had to try it. I was not impressed during my first session with the beer. But as I gave it more time, I began to really enjoy it. It really grew on me. And now that I had it on-tap, I really can say this is a great brew and a good choice from those who are locked in a bar or restaurant who only sells the usual suspects. So much so, that when I finished my initial 16oz pint, I then ordered a 32oz to enjoy with the rest of my dinner.

Jedimaster1, Dec 09, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +10%

This is amber in color with light estery aroma that poured a light head that resided into a loose knit lace on the edges.
First drink came across sweet but with every subsequent taste a very tasty, biscuity flavor and smooth mouthfeel. Very drinkable and would recommend to anyone that likes amber ales.

ifixufly, Dec 09, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a beer that i have read about over the last few years but never had the chance to try it. This past thanksgiveing i traveled to iowa and had the opppertunity to try. It was darker than i expected and had a funkey smell. It dystroyied all hype and any thing i ever read or was told about fat tire it brought me to zero. from that point it was and experience i was happy to share and cant wait till i can try it again. the experience was intensce with the yeast charicter telling a unique storie.

johanvond, Dec 07, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice light golden color. Very little head.

S - Very light smell. Subtly sweet.

T - Subtle, really light flavors but every sip brings new flavors.

M - It doesn't have much to it. It's a really light beer but the subtle hints help give it a little more than most ales.

D - Great beer for any occation. It's light enough to drink many but has enough flavor to sit back and enjoy as a quality beer.

jeffmonarch, Dec 07, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +33.1%

I was turned on to this beer by a friend; I wasn't disappointed. My first experience with this brew was from a tap. After the tap handle was placed back into the raised position, the head introduced itself. Nice.

No Lace but it stayed a few.

My olfactory glands were pleasantly pleased with ample tones of hops.

The mouthfeel is similar to Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale.

The finish was 'buttery' smooth.

This is currently my favorite.

Amenhotep, Nov 30, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -27.6%

I have heard things about Fat Tire. I heard it was great. I'm gonna find that person and ask them what was wrong. I was very unimpressed with this brew. It looked great after the pour, but the taste was weak. It had no real special taste to it. The beer went dwon easy, but it struggled to make it past my mouth. I'm not a slammer of beers, so I'm gonna say i got a bad batch and I'll have some when i want to encounter this again. Until then, I'll can just say this Fat Tire was flat. (Pun, I know. Don't hurt my karma, it's all I got left in this world.)

Black7Blue, Nov 29, 2007