Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Pours a nice amber color, with a big off-white head.

S: Sweet, fresh baked bread.

T: The inside of a malted milk ball candy meets a fresh baked buttery biscuit. A trace of hops on the finish.

M: A little thin, medium body at best.

D: Can drink a bunch of these in a row. My perfect "garage" beer.

I first tried a Fat Tire in Arizona ten years ago, and while they are tons of beers out there with alot more going on, I still enjoy a Fat Tire whenever I get my hands on some.

olacub, Aug 02, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

After hearing about this beer for a number of years, I finally got to try it this past weekend. The bar I was at had it available in 22oz bombers and a friend I was with bought me one when he found out I was a Fat Tire virgin. Upon pouring out the first glass I was pretty pleased with the color and appearance of the beer. The smell was on the fruity side and overall pretty pleasing. I thought the beer was very good at first, a somewhat light mouthfeel, but the taste had some nice estery notes hidden in there. Unfortunately, I found that 22oz of this is just too much and was really starting to wish I had split the bomber with a friend then have it all to myself. Hard to really explain why, just found the more I drank of it, the more tired of it I got. It isn't a bad beer by any means, but for all the hype it has gotten for years from people I know, it sure fell far short of living up to it. I would drink it again if it was handed to me, but really doubt I would buy myself a bottle unless there was only budmilloors available.

Generik420, Jul 31, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

I recieved this beer from dhchatfield. Thanks this was a very good beer drink.

The beer was served in a Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear amber coloration. The head was two fingers high. The off white head had major staying power.

Smell: The beer has a major league biscuity maltyness. The beer has a twinge of fruityness.

Taste: The beer is biscuity maltyness from start to finish. The beer has a slight hop prescence knocking the maltyness down a bit.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is medium bodied. The beer is very easy to drink. This would be a great sessionable beer. This would also make a excellent cross over beer for your macro drinking buddies.

nlmartin, Jul 31, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a clear orange/brown, big off white head forms, some nice lace and good retention. Smell is sweet and malty, grains, citrus/floral hops. Taste is grainy, the malt is really forward, some caramel, and citrus and floral hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, real smooth though. Not a great beer, but solid for the price and easy drinking, could readily session with this one.

Viggo, Jul 27, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +22%

Here's a great beer. Very sessionable. Wish I could buy it out here, but it was very enjoyable in CA. There are lots here who falt out love this. I would have a hard time saying this is an all around perfect ale, but it's very good in many ways and would be a regular drinker if I could buy it. My guess if the price tag climbed, some folk here would rate it better.

A - dark, cloudy, small head.
S - spices are present and enticing.
T - sweet with a a uniquely Belgian style spiciness. I guess corriander or some other aromatic spice comes to mind and it's not subtel. It's not very hoppy, but it gets at something very different that I really can't say any other beer I could think of embodies so nicely.
M - a little sticky, but that might contibute to the drinkablility.
D - it's hard to stop. To get so much flvaor without the heavy alcohol that usually accompanies it is a treat. Good at all temps, best as it warms up.

snilsen13, Jul 27, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Nice deep amber color with a huge head that leave a bit of lacing behind. Transparent and clean.

S - The bottle advertises this beer as being bisuity, and I would agree. Smell is of toasted bready malts and an underlying sweetness. Not much in the hop department.

T - Yeah, bicuity. A lot. Probably too much. The label also advertises a hop balance but there wasn't much hop to be found. In fact, I'm struggling to find any. This beer is a malt bomb. If that's your thing, you'll love it. Personally, I prefer a slight amount of balance.

M - Medium and creamy. Not bad.

D - I wouldn't want to session this beer. Too one diminsional for me and to be frank, after this bomber, I'm getting a little tired of it.

SethB2, Jul 17, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Off white greyish head with a mahagony amber body, fairly clear and clean.

S: Sweet breads, a little fruity.

T: Biscuity, sweet malt profile, toasted grains. Bit of caramel and red apple. Not a lot of hops to speak of just a touch of bittering hops.

M: Medium to light body with a smooth carbonation.

D: Well, its much better on tap than it is the bottle. Not sure where the reputation of this beer came from, but it certainly isn't worth. So be it.

Westsidethreat, Jul 14, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a clear amber with a nice poofy white head. Nose is malty and bread. Flavors are thin, but very typical amber. Slight bitterness and missing that rounded, fruity, slightly hopped, smoothness. Mediocre at best. Thanks to jhammerly for the bottle.

thaichile, Jul 08, 2006

12 oz

A: A nice looking crystal clear golden color with a little bit of bubbles. Poor lacing, poured with a two finger head.

S: Not very aromatic. Smells weakly like flowers and biscuit malts. But lacks a great smell.

T: A very not bad beer. Not very complex, but I think thats what they were shooting for. A nice session beer when it was cold. After letting the rest warm up I was a little disappointed as the flavors did not greatly improve like I was hoping for. Either way it is refreshing and crisp. Taste biscuit malts and a little carmel. A good taste though.

M: Light bodied and crisp. Has a lot of carbonation but I think it helps the style of beer.

D: Superb drinkability. I only have two bottles (the other I am saving for a friend) but I could easily see myself drinking this all night.

KyleVick4, Jul 05, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

This amber ale is mellow, refreshing and very drinkable, but also features a nice complexity of subtle flavors; toasted malt, a mild but balancing hop bitterness, hints of honey and a rich graininess (which is especially noticeable in the finish). I can’t really say this lives up to all the raving reviews I’ve heard about it, but it certainly is a nice treat. Recommended.

arguemaniac, Jul 03, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Tap sample. Amber in colour with fairly high carbonation. Fine floral aromas mix with a bit of toasted malt. The flavor is quite bready, with notes of caramel malts, toffee, and a bit of light fruit. Light bodied. Not a bad little beer. It's quite drinkable but not really that complex or interesting either.

fisherman34, Jun 30, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

clear orange amber with half an inch of white head that leaves a ton of stringy thin lace.

caramel and toasted malt aroma. sweet, but not exceedingly so.

toasted malt sweetness to start, then a cleansing hop bitterness leading to a very clean finish. medium-light mouthfeel with a medium-high carbonation. easily drinkable, but the malt character is lacking slightly in complexity; just a light, bready maltiness with little else to offer. enjoyable, then forgettable.

Prufrock, Jun 29, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Served as a crystal clear reddish gold with very little head, but respectable lacing as it melted.
Aroma is toasted malt and floral with a touch of biscuits.
Taste is again biscuit malt with floral undertones and very light hops.
Mouthfeel is rich and creamy
Aftertaste of perfume and floral.
I enjoyed this much more on tap than in the bottle. More biscuit comes through in the toasted malts and the aftertaste seems much cleaner...fresher....more thirst quenching.

IntriqKen, Jun 28, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

I had a bottle over the weekend: It poured thin, with an amber color with virtually no head, but a little lacy foam resting on top. MY first impression based upon looks was that it's a fancy ale. Drink with your pinkie up! The aroma was a combination of citrus and hazelnut, and tasted the same. Tried as I might, I couldn't detect much more in terms of flavor.The flavor wasn't full bodied, however, and I found this beer kind of weak. Slight hoppiness, but nothing distinctive. The carbonation was very noticeable. It didn't get much sweetness, but did notice a crispness that remained throughout drinking it. I wouldn't rush to get another bottle, but I would be curious to see if it tastes different on draft.

StoutHearted, Jun 19, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a dark amber with a light head that quickly settles, leaving a thin lacing.

Definite roasted malt/nutty smell, with a bit of caramel and a little fruity undertone, maybe apple. Hops are barely detectable.

Malty and sweet. Nutty, caramel and molasses, and just a tad citrusy. Very well-balanced, hops and alcohol taste aren't really even detectable.Tart, but not bitter.

Light to medium-bodied. Nice creamy feel at first, but then too watery.

Easily drinkable since it's so light. Average ABV and no hops taste would make this a good session beer, but there's little that stands out.

Phocion, Jun 15, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Medium-light amber and clear as they come. Ferocious head from start to finish.

Smells immediately of belgian yeast and eventually fades to green herbs by mid-bottle. Near the end cocoa would creep in, riding on the bready yeast. Taste is very mild with grapefruit-like hops then hints of malt that certainly finish on the note of toasted nuts. Aftertaste can border on pleasantly tart, especially after big sips.

Perfectly clean on the tongue, no sticky situations here! Very drinkable at any temperature, though it lacks the usual belgian approach to masking alcohol with intense fruit flavours.

ojiikun, Jun 12, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Crystal clear golden honey body with a white froth of a head similar to seafoam. Looks pretty good from here.

Some musty earthy malt, caramel, and a rich chocolate and hazelnut aroma that reminds me of Nutella...mmm.

Tastes just like it smells. Initially an earthy hop bitterness, then malt sweetness that slowly fades to a creamy oatmeal finish.

Mouthfeel is thin-medium, and it doesn't hurt it at all. Carbonation is spot on though. Super-easy drinking as well. This is my definition of a perfect session beer.

trep, Jun 10, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

My wife loves this ale. Can't really get it any closer than St. Louis ... anyway, this one is from a 12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Pours a glowing amber color, with a substantial white head. Intricate lacing in the glass. Nose is warm malt, with hints of dough and spices. Palate is on the sweeter side; a good balance of sweet malts and bittering hops. This beer has a candy-like character to it that's nice as well ... like a toffee. Mouthfeel is medium/light, and finishes sweeter than drier. I like Fat Tire ... I can get it at Cardinals games, for one. A very good amber style ale ... a style I'm usually not real keen on.

beerphilosopher, Jun 07, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Clear pale amber, nice bubbles rising to the top. Ample, foamy white head with good retention and sticky lacing.

Smell: Very distinct, yeasty and bready, toasted grain and hardly any hoppy smell.

Taste: Burnt coffee, biscuity finish, very mild hops, notes of molasses, roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Solid and crisp, medium carbonation, very clean.

Drinkability: This beer very drinkable and very distinct at the same time. Very lacking in hops for the amber ale style, but it doesn't bother me, it's very drinkable and refreshing. Strangely biscuity and food tasting, almost like a chicken gravy.

guitarmage, Jun 05, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

I enjoyed this beer very much. It had a hint of a chocolate or fudge taste, which made it very drinkable. It did not, in my opinion, have alot of after taste.

The beer is really good with just about any food. I have tried the beer with pizza, brautwurst, and even seafood.

barleynvinebrew, Jun 04, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Quite a bit more enjoyable than I was anticipating as I tend not to dig amber/red ales. Not quite as amber or red as it could or should be.
Smells like... peanut butter! or a peanut butter fudge candy or some such animal. Mouthfeel is a bit abrasive or chalky. I think Skinny Dip is basically this, but with more water. A little bit fruity. Simple.

ommegangpbr, Jun 04, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Looks like a redder, meatier Skinny Dip. Nose is like peanut butter fudge. Definitely peanuty. Taste is also much like Skinny Dip- bready, biscuity, slightly peanuty, sliiightly fruity- apricots, perhaps. The beers are very similar. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy, not as dry. This one is a little less drinkable, as it's a bit heavier, and I think I'd prefer this with a meal. Still, not shabby.

scooter231, Jun 04, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a beautifully clear golden amber, a little on the pale side perhaps, but with a nice thick foamy head. While the view is enticing, the aroma is underwhelming. If one really sticks your nose in there and takes a big whiff, you get the sweet, biscuity malt you would expect. Much the same can be said of the flavor, rather dry for the style, and more in a disappointingly bland way than a pleasantly drinkable one. While I can't say I didn't enjoy drinking this beer, I was happy to finish it and follow up with a more flavorful version of the style: my L.A. local Angel City Ale.

petemorris, Jun 03, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

Not a day goes by that I don't dream of Burt Reynolds donning his cowboy hat and running blocker for a truck full of Fat Tire in "Smoky and the Bandit III." Of course, Sally Field wouldn't do. Maybe Jessica Alba?

On a more serious note...

Auburn brew topped with 2 fingers of white head. As head starts to fade, leaves rocky lacing (impressive for an amber). Not much to smell: some caramel malt, but have to seek it out. Tastes are muted too. Enjoyable and simple, but not much there. Can't pick up too much to comment on. Easy and light in the mouth. Very drinkable. Could go all night, but would prefer to move on to a more interesting beer.

kdmorse, Jun 02, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Aroma: Clean Malt Sweetness with a Light Hop Aroma.

Appearance: Very Clear, Amber/Copper Color. White thin Head Retention

Flavor: Malty Sweet with a hint of Biscuit, Balanced with a light Piney Hop Bitterness. Has a Slight Hint of Specialty Malt, Maybe a High Lovibond Caramel Malt or a Slight Hint of Maybe Biscuit Malt. Had a Very slight Vegetal flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium to Medium-Light. This Batch Seems a Little Dryer than Ones I Have Had Before, Maybe the Mash Temperatures were just a tad lower Than Usual.

Overall Impression: Very Crisp Easy Drinking Malt Orientated Beer. I Thought this Beer Would Have Been a Little Sweeter But Tends To Be On the Dryer Side Than Other Fat Tires I've Had. I was a Little Disappointed in this Beer. This Beer is the Beer I drink When We Take Trips out to Snowmass, Colorado to go Snowboarding. I Remember This Beer as a Little Sweeter With a Slight Hint of Chocolate or a Little More Biscuit Malt. But, Its Been a While Since I Had a Fat Tire. This Beer was Still Very Good.

sullysbeer, May 30, 2006