Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
4.07/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this on vacation in Emerald Isle, North Carolina.

I really liked this beer, even though Amber's aren't really my cup of tea.

Nice body, not too bitter. Full flavored enough to have a good 6 pack in 1 sitting. Great Summer beer. Wouldn't recommend over the winter though. Hopefully they will start distributing this into Pennsylvania.

2.96/5  rDev -17.5%

With all the hoopla, anticipation was high. Right off the bat, I was thoroughly disappointed with the macro-brew aroma. Pours clear bronze with thin tan head. Sticks to the glass well, so maybe it has some merit. Taste and feel was very similar to the macro brews which may explain the crowd of people it has drawn. On the plus side, it's highly drinkable, but I'd probably order a bud light for cheaper if that's what it came down to.

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Had on tap at the Linebacker.

A- Pours a clear semi-dark amberish/copper color. Nice big two finger head that takes a little while to die down to the point where it is not all over my palate while I sip away. Good lacing on the sides of the glass. Looking at my notes the guy sitting next to me was drinking Amber Bock. I noticed how Amber Bock had better color but the head and lacing sucked on his glass.

S- Malts, malts, and more malts! Sweet bready malts dominate everything in this beer. Almost too much like they are trying to hide something up here. Faint toffee smell which gets covered up quickly with malts. Could detect a faint piney hint to this but oncne again everytime I tried to get a better sniff all I got was malts....enough with the god damn malts New Belgium!!!!

T- Well I knew what to expect with the taste from the sickly sweet aroma coming from the glass. Semi-sweet lightly roasted malts (sweet and bready) dominate the palate right from the get go. Some hints of toffee in the middle that get overpowered right away with the bready biscuty malts. Light hop bite on the tail end of this beer. Almost as much of a bite as Budwieser American Ale but I think even that has a more distinct bite to it. Really just a malty mess in your mouth.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good with this beer. All the malts in this beer make it feel more heavy in your mouth. Leaves a slick oily film of biscuty malt taste on the palate. Once again and it feels like I have stated this enough in the review...malts are everywhere in this. Aftertaste is well..go figure sweet and malty.

D- This I will say is a very drinkable beer in the sence you can go at it all night and be good to go. The place I went to to get it serves it in a 32 oz glass. I ended up drinking another 2 of them because only other things they had on tap were BMC products which I am not a huge fan of. Good lawnmower beer. I will and have drank it again but only when I don't want something bursting with flavor.

On a side note I have realized why this beer has become the battle cry of a ton of people over the past couple months in Indiana. It's something new to try and everyone gives it rave reviews (aside from on here or other beer sites). It has taken off because it leaves you with a familiar comfort zone (macro beer drinkers) but takes you on the start of a micro quest. People either except it and go on to bigger and better things or else you are stuck drinking this and Sam Adam's the rest of your beer drinking days.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have only been aware of this beer for a coulple years at most. Lets see what we have here:

A: poured from the 12 oz bottle into my tumbler. minimu head, which dissipated quickly. But as I drain the glass the lacing left behind is impressive.
Beautifully clear dark amber, carmelly color.

S: very light aroma, of crisp clean balance of hops and malt.:

T: this is where Fat Tire shines. not much for hops, but a nice, nutty bread maltiness - no bitter hops follow up at all. However, as it warms, a bit of hopiness come thru.

M: Solid body in spite of the understated taste. generous amount of carbonation. this is a SUBTLE beer but I really like it.

D: HIGHLY drinkable. No hint of alcohol here, the understated taste has me repeatedly reaching for more.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: A medium amber color that looks pretty nice. A white, loose, foamy head that leaves some spotty lace.

S: Pretty mild with mainly hoppy notes and some sweet malt comes through. Typical amber ale aroma.

T: Again a fairly mild flavor. Nice balance between hops and malt. Nothing sticks out in a bad way. A pleasant balance between all ingredients. The hop aroma helps out the taste too.

M: Medium bodied with a nice mouthfeel. Finishes dry.

D: Good drinkability. The flavors are all balanced very well. Even if nothing sticks out as spectacular its a nice drinkable ale.

Notes: Had to finally try this beer as almost everyone (both in the craft world and out) has heard of it. About what I expected. An approachable, non-challenging beer with some pleasing flavors but no big surprises.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was sampled at Beef O'Brady's in Elkhart, Indiana last Saturday.

Poured a coppery amber with a one finger head that faded to a collar. The aroma was sweet. The taste was mildly sweet, toasted malt, not a strong flavor coming through. No bitter aftertaste. It's OK, a good beer to go along with a meal that you don't want upstaged. Feel is light bodied with medium carbonation. The drinkability is good.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a deep amber body with a tight white head of foam. Aromas from this beer are grainy, biscuity and a little bit fruity. Medium bodied with a grassy hay-like maltiness and a fairly clean finish. Not much of a hop aftertaste. Drinkability is good, but not the most complex or interesting beer out there, which is understandable since this is a session quaffer.

3.07/5  rDev -14.5%

12 fluid ounce bottle. Appears to be best before Oct 09. Served at approx 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pours into my pint glass with a clear orange amber color. Not too far form apple cider. Has a nice thick foamy white head with some decent lacing.

Smells roasty, with bready malts and some fruitiness. A faint whiff of hop can be smelled as well. Also has a bit of a fart odor.

Has a moderate watery body with a decent bit of carbonation. Taste is again very toasty and malty. Not much hops are present, but they give off a hint of earthy spice. Has a bit of sourness in the finish. The aftertaste is bitter.

Overall it is a pretty pedestrian ale, has an off putting scent and not the strongest taste either. I finished it really quick, I'm not sure if it is because I liked it or it was just really easy to put down.

3.27/5  rDev -8.9%

A & S - amber/ copper with a small head. Smell is dominated by malt, to the point that you get it throughout the whole drinking process.
T/M/D - it has some of a hop feel to it, but I can't get over the malt, it's everywhere. It is full bodied, but mostly malty and finished malty. It's drinkable for like 4-5 but then the malt weighs you down.
I loved this when it came out of the blocks but am over it, some say that a good beer can be drank over and over and keep you satisfied, this isn't the case for me. I think it's a good entry into the micro world for like newbies and picking up a safe 6-pack at Safeway, but not for the long run (I know, they are huge now).

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

on tap everywhere now

it poured a clear, amber color with a nice think off white head. the head disappated pretty quick, little lacing. The smell was kindda like dough. The taste was similar with a bit of hops and perhaps a slight caramel or toffee taste. Both the smell and the taste seemed simple, with no individual notes, but both were good. It was a medium/light body that flowed very well

just not the same pazaz from a tap. Georgia has immediately become saturated in fat tire, with every bar and resturant advertising the same signs. Not worth the hype, but worth a taste

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

A decent but flawed and unremarkable Amber.
___

A: Pleasing light copper orange with a tight, persistent one finger white head.

S: Buttery biscuit malt, not much else... perhaps a bit of spice.

T: Hop bitterness is the dominant effect with the biscuit malt sitting underneath. Not much of the characteristic spiciness, but it is there. The overall impression is a bit watery and thin.

M: Pleasant carbonation, good grainy texture, but a bit thin.

D: OK.

4.8/5  rDev +33.7%

A-Nice amber color. Finger width head that goes quick but leaves long lasting lacing.

S- Nice toasty biscuit smell. Very pleasant.

T- Excellent. This beer has a delicious finish.

M- Light/Medium

D- Its very hard for me to drink just one. Definitely sessionable. One of my favorite beers.

3.14/5  rDev -12.5%

this is another beer that i used to like, but totally ruined by trying a lot of other beers.

-amber obviously, but not much context. you can tell that it is made in huge batches. pretty good lacing though

-smells like tortilla chips...which isnt necessarily bad

-a decent, characteristic nutty taste

-its fine

-ok. again, i ruined this beer for myself which is okay by me

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

22oz Bomber.... poured into pint glass.

A: Pale amber color with brownish copper tones. About 1-fingers with of head, that turns to a ring of foam that lasts thought out the session.... Very nice great lacing.

S: There is some crisp sweet fruit up front, like apples.... Then I'm getting a little caramel malt, little yeast and a lite hop note.... I'm feeling some Belgium feel in the smell

T: Wonderful balance of toasty malt, herbal hops, yeast with a touch of sweet fruit... Aftertaste has very nice toffee finish that is very clean...very nice... Not like other Amber Ales I've had... Nice change of pace.

M: Medium body, with a crisp, yet moderate carbonation. Clean and nice...

D: I had no problem going thought the bomber.... and could have done another one.... Very drinkable...

It is my first New Belgium Brew and I like it... Got to try more.

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

A clear light amber body with a small white head that doesn't have impressive retention or lacing.

Smell has caramel sweetness and some hop bitterness.

The malt bill rules here, with caramel and some lightly toasted malt taking the forefront. A bit of hop bitterness in the back end, and maybe a touch of sourness throughout.

Light, moderate carbonation.

It's hard to believe I've never tried this beer before, but this was the first time. Fairly drinkable, decent beer. Seems like Yuengling for those who can't get Yuengling, which is a good thing.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pale copper with a thin white head. That quickly receded.

S - Smell is of sweet malts with a toasted hint. Not much hop character in the nose.

T - There is initially some hop character that is quickly supplanted by the sweet malt tones. Caramel hints as well as some almond flavors, very flavorful but more towards the malt side than the hop side, which is fine by me.

M - Crisp and refreshing. Light bodied.

D - Excellent.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours light copper color with a thin white foam head that leaves a bit of scattered lace.

S- Some biscuity caramel malt and toasted grain scents. Not much in the hop department.

T- Lots of grain and malt sweetness. Biscuit and faint oatmeal flavor with plenty of tannin like dryness.

M- Light/medium body with ok carbonation.

D- Easy feel that would make a good cross over beer.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured to a nice head that was offwhite in color. Brew itself was a golden copper color. Left some damn good lacing with each swallow. Head hung around a while. Smelled slightly sweet. Also notes of malt. Tasted of biscuit and malt. And some hints of chocolate. Had a slightly bitter aftertaste. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was about right. I dont think I would like to make this a session beer. Not that I had anything against it, I just dont think it was my thing.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

This poured clear, dark gold with some off-white head. It smelled like roasted barley with some faint copper hops and bready yeast. It tasted like rich barley malt, with some copper hops and bready yeast. It was slightly thick with some carbonation, and had a mild malty aftertaste. Overall it was clean and easy to drink, but not terribly exciting. I really don't understand any hype surrounding this beer. It had a nice malty taste and good body, but it was generally quite boring. A solid example for the style, but I probably won't buy it again.

4.36/5  rDev +21.4%

A - One of the best looking beers I have poured in a while, very clear bright amber color, good carbonation, the head is very fluffy and takes on some of the amber color of the beer. Would look very inviting next to the fireplace in the winter.

S - Has a sharp hoppy smell which turns into a toasty smell. Good.

T - Tastes bitter and sharp on sipping, once it lingers for a moment the toasty biscuity flavor mentoned by others appears. The aftertaste at first is quite hoppy, but after a minute leaves the biscuit flavor. I liked it a lot, but being a fan of malt will help you enjoy this beer.

M - Crisp, refreshing, carbonated, not syrupy.

D - I was suprised that a beer with such a malty flavor would sit so easily on the stomach. Definitely sessionable.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased a bomber of this stuff.

Poured a medium amber color with a nice fluffy 1 1/2 finger head. Head slowly went down. Had a nice nutty and hoppy aroma with slight malt smell. Initial taste for me were the hops but not a huge punch like u find in a IPA. good hop flavor in this amber ale. This was followed by a nutty/cinnamon/chocolate finish. The ending taste of this beer is very complex. Very nice amber ale that gives you lots of flavor and is easy to drink.

To me it was similar to Boston Lager with less of a hop taste.

4.72/5  rDev +31.5%

Well I came across this beer at my better half's twenty year High School Reunion. One of her "clasmates" - afterall do you call them classmates after twenty years?? brought this in as an auction item to help raise money for the next reunion.

I bid $16 and ended up giving $20 for the Twelve Pack of cans.

Afterall being a Mountain Biker who could resist Fat Tire Amber Ale?

Appearance - kind of dark amber gold.. probably hence the "amber ale" title. DOH in my best Homer Simpson Voice.. I give it a 4.0 which is good.

Smell - hmmm.. its a crisp smell, if that makes any sense. Clean also... most of the Hoppy beers I drink do not impress me, but this.. hmmm I give it a 4.5.

Taste - Exceptional... currently in WV, Yuengling is all the rage.. this blows Yuengling out of the water - and at 5.2%. With the recent passage of the State's Craft Beer Law, I hope I find some places that start aqcuiring this beer.

Mouthfeel - I'm not sure I understand this quality. But holding it in my mouth, it feels crisp. Not like a cold Domestic, but not creamy like a Guinness. I can feel the carbonation. I like it. Good

Drinkability - I'm going with Exceptional, because I'm having a hard time saving two of these for my friends. This is excellent beer. I'm going to have to find more. (note I did save two for my pals)

4.2/5  rDev +17%

I thought that by coming to Denver, I would have no problem finding this beer in a CAN. It turned out to be my quest for the great white whale. It existed, but just out of my grasp. I finally scored a sixer and have some for CAN-only trades.

I had just done a warm-up with Breckenridge Amber, but this is the gold-standard for an Amber beer. Let's see.

My bartender's pour created a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with good retention. The color was a really bright orangish-amber, translaing to NE-quality clarity. The nose was biscuity malty and I am so glad that someone explained that phrase to me. Again, this was the standard bearer for the style. Mouthfeel was medium and although the CAN mentioned "Toasty malt flavors in tandem [(har)] with hoppy freshness", I simply got the malt. This was eminently drinkable, especially in the amber style. The finish was smooth and slightly dry. I do not miss the sugary sweetness of some CANned beers which I have reviewed.

Shore/Beach: If you CAN find it, hell, yeah! It was an elusive beer in my estimation, but once I found it, I was glad that I had. Ten Fidy is NOT coming wih me to the Jersey shore!

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

on tap at a non beer destination bar. served in one of those 14ounce "pint" glasses.

A- this one pours a clear ruby colored body with a small off white head on it. the head sticks around for a while and leaves spotty lacing on the sides of my glass. several small bubbles of carbonation can be seen racing to the top of the glass.

S- very malt forward. lots of biscuit. more than i have smelled in a beer before. bready malts also. not much in the way of hops.

T- once again, lots and lots of biscuity malts. some bread and caramel in here too.

M- light to medium bodied with a high level of carbonation.

D- in bars with a very small beer selection ill probably opt for this. cant have too many of them though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz can into clear pint glass. No freshness date.

A: Typical burnt amber with creamy 2-finger light tan head. Good retention and some lacing stretches up and down the glass.

S: Aroma is light caramel malts, herbal hops, and mildly metallic.

T: Flavor is on par with when I have had this above-average brew before. Plenty of caramel malt complexity with herbal and lightly floral hops note. No metal in the flavor thankfully.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy, but I always wish this beer had more body. Aftertaste is caramel malts with a light mineral note.

D: A nice package for those out on the trail or in a boat fishing or floating down the river. Fat Tire is a good not great beer -- cans of Dale's Pale Ale knock this one down the order a bit.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing