Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,865 | Hads: 7,679
2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Reviewing this on the first day New Belgium is avaliable in North Carolina. Pours an off white puffy head. Left a bit of offwhite lacing.The color is a trasparent light copper. The carbination is fairly high. Smell has a slight hoppy scent too it with a bit of maltiness in there, not overly impressed. Taste has a big malt forward base, not really much in for hops exept a touch of like refreshness at the end. The taste almost reminds me of High life with a touch of hops. Mouthfeel is alright, had a bit of consistency and has pretty clean aftertaste. Overall I was a bit disapointent with this one. It wasnt bad but didnt stand out If I want this light high carbinated malty taste Ill get a high life for a quarter of the price. I just hope the rest of new belgiums offerings to NC are better. (797 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Well-agitated and active two finger head of creamy white, lacing slides down the glass walls in sheets rather than stick. Very light and transparent zinc orange color, just about as much yellow as any deeper red. Mocha, chocolate cake start off the nose, then corn syrup, dried tea leaves, the lack of a strong roast cedes more territory to the grainy and floral hops elements, almost by default, no citrus. Light-bodied and at times the carbonation foams up enough to make it feel dilute. Malted milk balls, caramel, some biscuit or baguette type of doughiness, here you get a suggestion of sweet mixed white citrus and pine. That said, the floral side drops off a lot even as the corn, raw wheat keep going. Even more watery at the finish, no lift nor final kick. (765 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

This was an "import" from Illinois, as we don't have this brand here in WI. I had once when out west a few years ago, but with its rise in popularity, I wanted to revisit it to see what the fuss is about it. And I must say I don't get it. First, I don't understand the terminology of a "Belgian style" amber. The beer is OK , but I've certainly had better amber ale's (in recent memory - McTarnahan's, for example). Recommended for the curious, but not for anyone else.

Appearance was indeed amber, with good "Belgian" lacing. Aroma was faintly malty, but not distinctive. Flavor was roastier than I would've expected, but as it warmed it had a malty sweetness that I didn't expect and didn't reall feel fit with the rest of the beer's flavor. Mouthfeel was nothing special (good or bad), but this beer struck me as one you could drink quite a bit of, if you really liked the way it tastes (I'll pass). (905 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Nice white head, was a nice copper color with a hint of red.

S: Not much smell at all, nothing stood out to me.

T: Starts out malty and sweet, finishes with a note of hops. Taste does not linger long. There is a slight sweetness to it, just a touch of fruit notes before the hops kick in at the finish.

M: Slightly thin, but not too bad. I'd say about average.

D: Not an outstanding brew, but not a horrible one either. This to me is something you'd drink with food when you're not too concerned about how good a beer you have, but want something better than the mass market beers. However, if I was wanting something above average or special, this beer would not fit the bill. I've had 2 Below Ale by New Belgium, and I'd consider it much superior to Fat Tire. Based on my expectations from that one, this one was a bit disappointing. (842 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle poured into a shaker-pint glass.

A: Pours a translucent orange, virtually no "haze", with a thick lively white head on top.

S: My sniffer must be broken? I pick up on... very little. Maybe just a hint of sweetness and an odd "almost spoiled" smell, but everything is VERY faint.

T: Light, thin, and crisp, the "almost spoiled" scent I picked up reminds me a bit of a Pilsner bitterness on the back end, would be interesting to see what kind of hops they are using here. Also, a touch of bisquity malts here as well.

Am having trouble deciding if, when it all comes together, whether it's "pleasant" or not. It's rather "meh". Mediocre.

M: Unremarkable. Finishes a bit dry and leaves a bit of sweatness behind. Carbonation could be a bit more distinguished for my liking.

D/O: An "average" craft beer. I'd have another one at some point in the future, but I'm in no hurry to revisit. (895 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Had this on tap tonight at a pizza joint here in Austin.

I am normally a huge craft beer fan, but this one just doesn't quite do it for me. Don't get me wrong, not a bad brew, but the overwheling earthy flavor of this beer, especially early on, just doesn't quite do it. That said, I have tasted worse beers out there, but I probably won't be drinking this brew again. (372 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

A - orangey tan color, half a fingers of bubbly off white colored head, leaves some decent strands of lace

S - caramel, light floral hops

T - more caramel, some bready malt, some lemony bitter hops

M - Thin medium bodied if that makes sense, carbonation is good and keeps the head sitting on top

D - gf picked this up for me, along with some other New Belgium's in NC since its not distributed to VA; finally just getting around to drinking this, too many other beers to try before this one; not bad, but not great, its pretty hot out so it fit the weather alright, if NB comes to VA ill stick with their Lips of Faith series (666 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

A- It looks nice. Pours a clear, clean amber with a low white head that leaves little lacing.

S- Hops, citrus, evergreen. The smell was okay, but a little weak.

T- Weak hops dominated, nothing really balanced it. There were hints of malt and a fruity hang. I found it rather boring. Not offensive, just not as complex as I'd like.

M- Light bodied and crisp. Didn't finish as clean as I'd like with such a light bodied beer. It left my mouth slightly coated.

D- This is really a fairly drinkable beer. I find everything about it to be understated. I think it would be pretty darn good if the flavor and smell were a little more potent and balanced. (652 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

A - Nice transparent body with a low sticky head.
S - Malty, grainy aroma with only a trace of sweetness in the background.
T - Malty flavor with light bitterness and thin sweetness. Very simple.
M - Low carbonation, not very crisp. Medium body.
D - This is a easy drinking beer, but has little else going for it.

Best before date: 17Feb06
Consummed on: 31Jan06 (370 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I've been drinking this beer for a long time...probably since it was introduced over 15 yrs. ago. It is one of the only beers that I can say I am sick of drinking. Not that it's terrible, but it has a sweetness that wears on you after a while.

It has good qualities, and east coasters love to drink it when they venture out west, but for any seasoned western craft beer fanatic, I'd choose just about anything else. (418 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

12oz bottle at Boiling Pot, Rocport, TX. Pours amber color with a thing, short lived head. Aroma is of ripe fruit, caramel malt with bread notes. Flavor of fruit, juicy malt and yeast balanced by citrus hops. Not a bad brew when nothing else available. (252 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

A= To me this beer was copper in color. It had a decent head that disappered quickly and a little bit of lacing.

S= To me it didn't have much of a smell but the one thing that did stand out to me is that it smelled biscuity.

T= To me it was pretty bland to me the biscuit scent came out when I was drinking it and you can diffently taste it while drinking it.

M= It seemed pretty light to me. It was had the right amount of carbonation

D= For this being New Belguim flagship beer I really didn't like it but it really isn't my style I think a person that is new to craft beer and has been drinking miller lite for years this would be a good introduction to craft beers. I liked the New Belgium Ranger better. (714 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This is my first ever taste of Fat Tire. Poured from a 22oz bomber purchased at Peace Street Market in Raleigh, NC. Let's see what all the fuss is about.

Poured an orange copper colour with a soapy, white head that faded away in about 60 seconds. CO2 bubbles continuously stream upward. Smell is nice. Quite a bit of caramel and other sweet malty nuances. A bit of earthy hops is slightly detectable. Lets hope the flavour holds more hops than the smell.
Nope, it's all malt, and rather "un-eventful" malt at that. Not a very complex beer at all, really. Starts out very slightly bitter, if you use your imagination, then goes to moderately sweet malt, then finishes a bit dry. That about sums it up. It isn't a bad beer, it's just very forgetable; very average. I don't really see anything special here that warrants the hype surrounding this beer. Still glad I tried it. (873 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle courtesy of BeerandBlues2: Poured a medium amber color ale with a nice foamy head with some pretty good retention and lacing. Aroma of medium caramel malt with some light floral hops. Taste of light caramel malt with a light hoppy finish is missing in character and fall behind some of the other wonderful offering from this brewery. (340 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: Crystal clear honey amber. Thin white head with marginal retention. Fine, mildly active carbonation. Collar throughout.

Smell: Hmm. A bit of yeast, mildly citrusy/floral, a hint of malt--just a hint, period.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Basically, like drinking a slice of supermarket honey wheat bread. Bit of yeast, slightly nutty, slightly metallic. Finish is slightly... God, who cares, this is pointless. Mouthfeel is EXTREMELY thin and a bit fizzy. Yawn.

Drinkability: So light, you could probably drink one and never realize it. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, I suppose.

I don't know why this beer is so popular. So meek, so weak, and then to add insult to injury, so freakin' expensive--total waste of time, IMHO. Never again. (756 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Amber with a decent head and fair lacing. Mostly clear.

Smells slightly grainy with some malt and sweet notes.

Tastes OK. More like an ESB to me... there's that something of a taste I can't quite put my finger on, but it's overly pungent. Caramel malts are very dominating. A little bit of sweet.

Feels pretty good, medium bodied and well carbonated.

There are far better and more drinkable beers from this brewer. I doubt I'll buy this one again. (452 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Now that I live out in Washington (having moved from Michigan) certain beers are now available to me. Beers like the infamous Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. Why not buy a 6 pack and give it a review.

Pour is a light amber with a medium amount of head that seems not to want to go anywhere. Mild lacing.

Smell is caramel, bready yeast, malt... grandmas musty attic.

Taste is nothing insane, but decent. Toasty with a strong taste of malt and bread.

I could drink a few of these. Nothing outstanding, but a decent beer none-the-less. However, I am told it tastes better on tap and in Colorado. (599 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a slightly dark amber, topped by a thin white head. Aroma consists of a hint of malt and not much else. Flavor has a hint of malt sweetness and finishes dry. Bitterness is subdued. Mouthfeel is a bit prickly and the beer seems very astringent. Almost leaves a woody aftertaste as well. I've tried this beer 3 times at 3 different locations in the last month, and every time, one is more than enough. Not a bad beer, just not anything memorable either. I'd recommend a Breckenridge Amber instead. (501 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

From a 12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic glass. Pours a clear orange amber hue with a decent looking but short lived head. Lacing is well represented yet thin and fleeting.

Smell is overwhelmingly of hazelnut and burnt malts. Smells like Frangelico. This is a rather popular beer so I guess some people like that in a beer. I don't care for it.

Tastes of biscuity roasted malts. Medium bodied yet concludes with that roasted malt and nut flavor I so don't enjoy, and it is a bit thin. I call the drinkability average because I'm already numbing my taste buds. One thing this brew has going for it is the lack of over the top sweetness common in some ambers. Perhaps it could use a little more. (696 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

Poured a nice amber color with a huge fluffy tan.

Has a big bready smell.

The flavor is light with a big buiscuity flavor. All toasted malt with no hops. Has an odd sourness to it.

The mouthfeel is thin and bubbly.

Very average overall, does not live up to the hype. (270 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

Pours out very clear with the look of an Iced tea.
Smells like Tadpole water. Mabey a hint of orange yeast. No alcohol is present in the nose.
Damn, this one is hard to describe. Almost taste like 2 day old tea.
It is like you are drinking stinky air.
It is not a nasty aftertaste, in fact it is a nice aftertaste compared to the gross flavor.
I suppose you could session this beer, but with the lack of flavors in the thing it is best to try it and leave it. (464 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

When I moved out to Colorado a little less than ten years ago, Fat Tire was all the rage. I'm not sure if it was because New Belgium was early to market or because New Belgium, but either way it's not The Beer out west anymore, it's just one among many. Albeit a popular one.

The color is the most impressive thing about the beer, as it's a deep ruby color with admirable clarity. Unfortunately, the taste doesn't live up to the presentation, as the beer is to my taste overly malty with an aftertaste of slightly charred wood.

To be fair, ambers are not generally my favorite beer, but even making allowances for that fact, it's relatively pedestrian in my view.

Not awful, and certainly drinkable, but undistinguished in a landscape that is far more competitive than when the line launched . (799 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

A: Pours a bright, clear orange-gold color. The off-white head is fairly tall, with a densely frothy texture. A nice splattering of lacing sticks to the glass as the head recedes.

S: Mostly pale malt aroma here. Some light, sweetish caramel and toasty/bready notes are also available. Lightly earthy and spicy hop aromas contribute to a degree. A soft, faint tartness lurks in the background.

T: A bit toasty and bready up front. Mild caramel sweetness is present. A faint hop bitterness adds some balance, with a minor earthy flavor. A bit of yeasty tartness in the finish.

M: Rather light-bodied. Carbonation is average. A modestly dry finish doesn't prevent the mouthfeel from being fairly watery overall.

D: Quite inoffensive, in both good and bad ways. It drinks relatively easily, but there's just not much flavor or body to make this very interesting. (865 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

pours a light orange, looks lagery. smell is mild roasted malts and taste is nothing impressive at all. almost like a sam adams clone. mild hop notes add something but a metallic aftertaste takes it right away. if 'refreshing' is the best thing i can say about a beer, you know that means trouble. not terrible, but a truly mediocre microbrew. if i had access to it, it might be a lawnmower beer.. but having to have it shipped puts it in the disappointment column. (465 characters)

Reviewed 8/19/2008 (bottle BB10Oct08):

Pours an orangish amber body. Big foamy orangish-white head. Head has good lacing & is lasting. Very malty hoppy aroma, some grapefruit. But lots of Engish-style malts. Some malts in the taste, nuttiness. Some spiciness, maybe a little hoppiness. Some breadiness. (303 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing