Follow our progress ...

Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
3.6

Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Reviews: 1,968 | Ratings: 8,273
4.68/5  rDev +30%

I had this beer on draft in Greensboro, NC. When Oh When will this beer make it north to Virginia. It is great on draft and in bottle form!!

Poured a beautiful amber color with short lived head.
Taste is complex with hints of liquorish and even chocolate which is surprising for an Amber. Just a wonderful beer that is very easy to drink.

4.67/5  rDev +29.7%

A bottle with a BB date 18 Nov 12.

A-Poured into a pint glass, this beer gives a solid 2 fingers of a rather creamy slightly off white head that laces the glass quite nicely. Perfectly clear with an orangish amber color with a few CO2 bubbles making their way to the surface.

S-I really like the aroma of Fat Tire. My reference smell of biscuity sweet malt-this definitely is the dominant aroma. Minor notes of green apple.

T-Toasted malts with a fair amount of sweetness with just a touch of hop bitterness to cut it and help quicken the finish. I love the balance of malt and hops in this beer. Hints of fruity (apple) yeast also present to help give some extra complexity.

M-Plenty of carbonation to carry the malt and cut the hop end note. Medium bodied for the style.

O-A terrific beer. This was one of those gateway beers many years ago that made me marvel at what a beer could be beyond the standard pils most of us grew up with. Many years later it's still a beer I very much enjoy and like to have on hand as a great all-season beer.

4.67/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Goes good with a sandwhich!!!
Look- not bad
Smell- normal
Taste- its good but a lil bit stronh
Feel- not bad maybe a lil tipsy but thats because one is happy lol

4.66/5  rDev +29.4%

New Belgium just dropped here in Tn and this is one of the 3 available brews thus far. I've really enjoyed the other 2 so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

This pours out a rich deep amber color with a huge fluffy head and plentiful carbonation. Shelves of lacing down the glass throughout.. Awesome!

Beautiful aroma of warm fresh baked bread, rich and malty backed with the faintest of hops. Smells very inviting..

Oh, man I'm in love here. Rich, malty deliciousness that reminds me of a loaf of warm fresh buttered loaf of bread. The richness of the malt tastes wonderful going down.

Ok, I've found a new favorite session brew in this. It pretty much everything I look for in a session brew...delicious, not too heavy, and goes well with anything.

Hooray New Belgium! Thank you for making it to TN!!

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

This beer pours a golden amber with a thin white head. The head dissapears quickly. It smells biscuity with a little hint of spice. Maybe ginger. Also smells a little flowery. It tastes sweet with a great ballence of hops and malt. Maybe just a little more hoppy than malty. Very smoothe. Very, very good. This beer is a well rounded beer that can be enjoyed any time. You can easily drink a few of these beers at one time due to the somewhat low alcohol content. Only 5.2% I can not get this beer where I live, but only a few hour drive away, I can, so I usually stock up. I usually like dark, malty beers, but this is definately an exception. Definately worth a try.

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

realized I'd never reviewed this rare gem, so here goes nothing.

pours a surprisingly nice light amber with marigold highlights into my new belgium tulip. A frothy, thick two-finger head fades slowly to a thin cap that leaves solid lacing. Looks good.

aroma is malt, a touch funky, nutty and corn. earthy and grainy. hints of earthy hops. the grain aroma gets stronger as it warms.

taste is clean, crisp, hints of fruit, hints of malt, and a touch of hops - just enough for a pleasant crisp bitterness. apples, pear, some wheat and a touch of white sugar.

mouth is solidly clean, with moderate body, ample fine carbonation, almost creamy but not too thick. really works.

all in all, what can i say that hasn't been said? When fresh, it's pretty solid. when not brand-spankin-fresh, it's border-line awful... which is why I'm tossing it a slightly lower score... something about the malt profile just gets funky as it warms.

4.64/5  rDev +28.9%

This ale is one of my favorites because its readily avalible anywere and at a decent price. Although this batch has hardly any carbonation. Great copper color. Head pours thick but guickly fades. Smells a little like honey and malt. Tastes like sweet honey and has a biscut note to it. Overall this is definatly an ale to be consumed by a group.

4.64/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my first great beers. A full stine of this beer with some wings, is a thing of beauty. The color is a beautiful caramel, and the taste is full, rich, and incredibly nutty, just delicious!

4.63/5  rDev +28.6%

I'm not sure what all the hating on Fat Tire is all about but, I think it deserves all the praise it has recieved. As a homebrewer, I would love to get that nutty flavor in my beers. Fat Tire also has a great yeasty taste that I like, and it melds well with the nutty flavor to make what I would call "comfort beer".

4.62/5  rDev +28.3%

I have to admit, I was hooked from the get go on this one. This is the beer I get when I am in Texas. I really enjoy this one with a good juicy rare steak. By all means this one is my favorite beer of recent. I have tried the Abby that they offer but this one has blown my socks off.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%

A very tasty amber ale. Has the typical red look to it once poured in the glass. To me, the smell is a bit deceiving but still not a bad smell at all. Taste is excellent, far better than any other amber ale I've drank. Drinkability is also excellent, goes great by itself or with a meal if you so choose.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%

The magical part of this beer is the way that you can smell exactly what you will be tasting. A creamy, malty aroma embraces a carmel/sugar/whatever-sweet-candy-you-can-think-of overtone. Fat Tire is a friggin' bouncy castle in a bottle. The taste is so malty and creamy that these flavors remain consistent throughout anything you taste afterwards. There is a distinct sweet aftertaste, pretty much candy, inside of that friggin' bouncy castle, inside of that bottle. Overall, all your worries come back at the bottom of the glass. This is easily one of the most adaptable beers out there.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%

The description on the bottle is quite accurate. Biscuit-like aroma and flavor are a direct result of the yeast used by New Belgium Brewing. Pay close attention to the serving temperature and try to pour into your favorite beer glass rather than drink from the bottle. The aroma gets me every time. I think the bitterness is very appropriate for this style of brewing. This is a very well constructed amber ale.

4.59/5  rDev +27.5%

This beer produces a giant head that leaves walls of sticky, sheet-like lacing. Color is new-penny copper and aromas are light grassy hops and grain. Smell is very fresh.

This is a pretty simple beer, just toasted malt sweetness with spicy and grassy hop bitterness but damn I will never get tired of this long-time favorite. Its just the right balance of smoothness, flavor, light and dark tastes. Great stuff. Light mouthfel with low carbonation. I have consumed great quantities of this beer in the past, and one day hope to do so again.

4.59/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had never tried one in my 11 years as brew store owner and was one of the most requested clone brew recipes most of those years. Looks great in the glass. Nice deep amber, great head retention. Nutty, great balance and finish. No need for a glass though, this drinks great from the bottle. Leaves you wanting another. This ale has replaced a. Couple of my favorite Euro lagers. A great crowd pleasing ale.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearance - Amber, filtered, and an off-white frothy head.

Aroma - Toasty biscuit.

Taste - Toasty, biscuity malts, some sweetness, very smooth, and a slight presence of hops to round off the malts and sweetness.

Overall - Smooth, malty, unique, delicious, and thoroughly enjoyable.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured from a bottle into a 20 oz mug.

About a half an inch, frothy-white, crystal head. Fairly good lacing.

Aroma was of a very pleasant, soft petal bouquet, almost fruity, and rose-petal-ish like scent.

Polished, crystal clear, fossilized amber in appearance. Cool and pleasantly carbonated. Taste was very faint, but easily drinkable. Spikes at a citrus-y pine in taste at first slowly melting into a drop of butter on moistened toast ahead towards the finish. The hoppy-pine taste lingering longer as the beer warms, and expressing more pale-ish tasting malts.

This was the best looking amber in color I've ever seen. The taste was nice, cool, faint and sessionable. I do agree with another viewer, "not horribly complex". But will definitely enjoy this beer again... possibly at a bbq on a nice humid summer day.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours copper, clear with a tainted foam head. Smells like malts, caramel and very little hops. Taste is rich and malty in character, caramel and herbal hops are there. This is an american red with balanced hops, not hoppy like most american ales, very sessionable and well done.

4.57/5  rDev +26.9%

A "go-to" beer for many years. One that my dad, my wife, and I could all agree on and enjoy. Now that I am on the East Coast I find myself really missing it and comparing a lot of beers to it.
Ultra rich and flavorful without being thick or unctuous. Loads of malty sweetness and well-balanced hops. Close to perfection. A crowd-pleaser.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite beers, I like its drinkability, with the perfect balance in sweetness matinees, and bitterness

Appearance: light cooper appearance, heat is white without lacing
Smell: malty and earthy
Taste: malty, earthy
Mouthfeel: medium bodied

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I forgot how much I like this. I've been on an IPA binge lately and needed a little rehab LOL. This is a very good beer. But then again I like everything from New Belgium I've tried.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

Harvest orange brown color. Small to medium head with little to no lacing. Best described buy bottle as toasty and biscuit like. Fantastic burnt crust kind of taste with earthy woody undertones. Medium carbonation with a slight bite. Very drinkable.

One of those beers that you can't get enough of. Everytime i taste this beer i find new flavors.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of dense, sticky head on top.

Smell: Definitely some toasted grains on the nose, with a body of sweeter, butterscotch malt notes and finished off by just the slightest bitterness from the hops.

Taste: Follows the nose incredibly well. Flavors of crusty bread hit the tongue right away, but fill out to a body of caramel and toffee flavors just ever so lightly accented with a perfect earthy hoppiness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick mouthfeel with little carbonation and an incredibly smooth finish.

Overall: I love this beer. It's an incredibly smooth and easy to drink session ale, but has all the deep flavor complexities I want when drinking a beer. I always keep it stocked and it is my go to beer when I go to a gathering of friends. Simply impeccable.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

fat tire is overall a very good beer smell is great, only had it in bottles havent really tried it on tap so im sure its way better but this is the kind of beer you can really just sit and drink all day and relax price range is good excellent beer try it some time

4.53/5  rDev +25.8%

I love Fat Tire. Once I am more adept at examining beer critically, I will know why it is that I love it so much, and update my review then.

But for right now, I will say that it is because of the following reasons: Its rich, nutty aroma; its creamy feeling like that of a decadent, chocolate cream pie; its luxurious, opaque amber appearance and sustained, light-brown head; and its completeness of taste in that it stimulates sweet and bitter simultaneously and in precise balance between the two without lingering a second in excess.

Did I mention that I love Fat Tire.

With Respect for Beer,