Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,360 | Reviews: 1,894

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was "the" beer to be seen with in my neck of the woods last year, although I often wondered if anyone was drinking it. On paper, this is a great beer. In presentation, this is an excellent beer. In truth though, the taste I find sub-par.

The color is amazing, the head pours nice (I poured from a bottle), and there is some really light lacing down the side. However, I find this beer much too earthy tasting for me, and while it is decent, it is defiantly not one that I will try again anytime soon. To me this beer tastes like someone went half and half with a Michelob and a Yuengling Traditional, and I am not really crazy about either. I will admit that the taste does mellow out if you drink several of these, but I find that with most beer too.

Fat Tire is basically like having a friend that is a body builder, and when you get him to help you move you find out that it is all superficial and he sucks at using his muscles in a realistic way--it is a let down. I feel like if they spent more time on the beer rather than the label art and the advertising, this would have been better. I expected more out of New Belgium, because I generally like their beers, but the Fat Tire offering that I had reminded me that not every microbrewery can be Sierra Nevada. Man, I should go and get some Pale Ale to wash this earthworm flavor out of my mouth...

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing