Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,866 | Hads: 7,681
4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Amber, light-orange color, with a one-finger head. Active carbonation and clear, even, lively consistency. Thick lacing and long retention.

Smell: Sweet malt aroma and slightly biscuity bouquet.

Taste: Sweet, malty flavor and a slightly sour and stale biscuit aftertaste. A well-built and balanced beer, as the brewer intended. Representative of the style.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth on the palate. Slightly lacking carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy to drink. Sweet, but almost too sweet. I will be having another. (537 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

poured from a bottle into a new belgium goblet

clear amber color with a decent head and ok lace.

smell is malts, dark chocolate, spice and hops

taste is bready, malts, a touch of spice, and celery. to me, it used to be a different beer every time you tried it, and different from every source. it seems to me that they have gotten the recipe to the point where it is now consistent everywhere

mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with a clean finish

overall, easy to drink and good flavor. this is the beer that got me transitioned me away from macros and into "real beer". definitely worth a try! (596 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

A good go to Amber when I travel and normal big box domestics won't cut it.

Hardy biscuit malt with suggestions of cherry & a faint floral scent.

Moderate body with a clean smoothness. Nice undertow of biscuity malt from start to finish. Light flash of hops to tame the malt a bit, some fruitiness becomes lively with hints of pear. (335 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

Wow... just let me saw WOW! what a uniquely gorgeous beer!

A - sunset burnt orange in color. 1 finger head with heavy density. Nice and cream. Translusent enough to see the perfect amount of carbonation bubbles floating to the top to help keep the consistancy of the head. And B E A U T I F U L lacings! After it sits the fuzzes makes a ring that DOES NOT go away. After each gulp there are rings indicating where the beer was at in the glass and they stay there untill the end of the beer.

S - earthy notes and undertones. very foresty. very roasted.

T - First reaction is that the beer taste like a bonfire. The aromas that emmit from camp fires or char coals was the taste of this beer. very unique and yummy. A must try, to understand first hand the experience of this burnt fire woody beer. almost like bourbon.

M - perfect mouthfeel to make this an almost dangerous beer. medium bodied, with a very clean finish. Did not sit this beer down very long at all.

Overall this is a great beer. One just to be drinking, one for festivities, one for parying, one for good ole times. The name is very misleading of its quality. (1,130 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%

I like this beer a lot; it is one of my favorites. It is smooth, not overpowering, easy to drink, and has a good body. Its not too sweet like other New Belgium brands nor is it too bitter or too strong. Overall just the right balance of everything. A dark beer with light beer drinkability. (290 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

Pours a light amber to off copper color with little to no head. brilliantly clear

I love the aroma on this beer and always have. Fresh biscuits and toasted cracker with minimal earthy back tones

Flavor is crisp and malty. Starts with a subtle fruity notes then rolls into an intensely buscuit flavor and finishes with a nice dry bitterness and easy and light apricot/pear.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin and light. Good for the style

I could drink this thing non stop, love this beer and its simplicity. Yum.. (510 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

A - Clear amber with large, white, frothy head. Very nice lacing.

S - Sweet, malty aroma. Some earthy hops provide a grassy aroma as well.

T - Malty and sweet without being cloying. The finish has a slight touch of herbal hops flavor, but nothing bitter or biting. Just a tiny bit dry on the finish.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Substantial on the tongue but still refreshing.

D - The smooth flavor and moderate ABV make this one a great drinker. NB just hit the NC market this month, and I'm happy with my first taste from the brewery. Fat Tire isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's a nice alternative to the the hoppier beers that I often drink. I'll definitely be picking up more of this one. (715 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

A- Brilliantly clear light amber with moderate sized off-white head. The head dissipates to a smal covering, but leaves a nice full lacing behind.

A- Sweet malt aromas. Hints of biscuit malt. Quite a sweet bready aroma. Hints of caramel.

T- Right away I get that wonderful biscuit malt flavor, I've always thought of drinking this beer as eating delicious biscuits and washing it down with a nice beer. A bit sweeter than most amber ales I have had. Slight hop bitterness near the end. Aftertaste of biscuits!

M- Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. The sweetness isn't anywhere near cloying, but it is not crisp either.

D- This has been a favorite of mine mainly because of the biscuit malt I noticed as I was developing more of a taste for beer. Great beer for any occasion. (788 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +18%

People are always coming into the store I work at and asking for this (we can't get it), so I was psyched to see it finally when I was in Arizona on vacation, and finally be able to find out why it was so popular with the tourists of RI. Overall, I think that while this brew strays from what I see as an Amber ale, it is still a very excellent beer. Color is amber, with a thin head that is sustained by steady streams of carbonation. Aroma is a soft chocolate scent with a twinge of tangy hops - mouthwatering. Taste is similar yet more varied, featuring a crisp hoppy start that is immediately accompanied by a rich chocolately malt, and finishes with the original dry-bitter (yet slightly fruity, apples and such) hoppiness. An awesome brew, I was glad to find it - and while is does deviate from a typical amber a little, I would chose this over most beers any day. (870 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to my friend Matt for bringing this back from Arizona for me. It's been a long time since I've had this.

APPEARANCE: Pours a crystal clear pale golden amber with a small but hearty white head. Bubbles cascade up the glass constantly refreshing the head giving it decent staying power.

SMELL: The aroma is predominantly of toasty malt. It smells almost like a rustic bread. A nutty sweetness hides a very mild hop aroma. Pretty nice.

TASTE: The smell carries over into the taste. Toasty and nutty with a nice mild sweetness. It's also got a bit of a smoky flavor to it. The finish is clean and crisp.

MOUTHFEEL: A crisp carbonation highlights a medium to medium-light bodied beer.

DRINKABILITY: Really good. I could drink these all night. 5.6% ABV might be a little high to be sessionable, but I'd still count it.

I've had this before, but it still kind of caught me off guard how nice it is. I really wish it were available on the east coast. I'd sure buy more. (986 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass. I had this on tap not too long ago – so I decided to try it out of the bottle.

A: Pours a clear copper hue with a solid, white, 2-finger head that leaves a nice trail down the glass and ends in a persistent lace.

S: Sweet caramel aroma with hint of spices and hops.

T: Smooth and slightly sweet flavor with a dominant caramel profile. Slightly fruity background and crisp finish.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: These beers go down way to easy. So refreshing and enjoyable. (544 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Amber in color. Slight head with a carmel color. Crisp taste and very drinkable. May seem an average amber ale to most but I find it one of my favorites. I could drink Fat Tire over and over, and I have. My first encounter with Fat Tire and New Belgium Brewing was in 1997 and since I live in the East I've been hooked ever since. Also helps me to remember good times in Colorado. I wonder how much of beer taste is tied to memories of people, places, things? Does this cloud judgement I wonder? (495 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to my wife for picking up a sixer while in Denver. We don't get any New Belgium offerings in Michigan. Well, I guess Fat Tire lived up to its hype. It was a bit paler than amber in color, and had a nice roasted chocolate aftertaste. The malt was fine and I really coundn't taste the hops, but their presence was detectable. One thing to note was that the first bottle was mildly carbonated (which I like), and the second bottle was a bit more fizzy (which I don't like). (477 characters)

Appearance is hazey orange red with a 1 finger white head

Smell: lot of toasted malt and hops

Taste: little hint of chocolate and toasted malts also hints of hop very smooth not bitter at all

Mouthfeel: not thin at all leaves you wanting more

Drinkability: i can drink this beer all night...great for session (312 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Quite a bit less hoppy than a lot of other amber ales I've had lately. Nice to have an amber that doesn't aspire to be some kind of 'extreme' beer. Doesn't go too crazy with the malt either, leaning in a distinctly yeasty direction.

Just a solid, uncomplicated beer, with fantastic drinkability. Quite quaffable. (314 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

I've been thoroughly impressed with this Amber ale since visiting Colorado last year (though for some reason, I failed to review it). Excellent balance of malts and hops makes this one of the most drinkable beers I've had in quite some time. Nice light ruby ale with great mouthfeel. Too bad I cannot find this Charlotte. (321 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard American pint glass.

A: The beer poured a coppery amber colour, with a nice deep head, and moderate carbonation.

S: Biscuity malts, light citrus hops, and a wee bit of yeast.

T: Caramel, toasted biscuity malts.

MF/D: Mild bodied and smooth, this beer is exceedingly drinkable. Very pleasant. It's hyped a lot as a "gateway" to microbrews, like Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam, and I can see why. The toasted malt flavour might be more my cup of tea than some folks, but this is one of my favourite tasty refreshing adult beverages of all time.

A great standby choice in any bar that serves it, since it seems to be most spots' "craft" beer of choice, against the big watery boys. (725 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Appearance- light amber, very clear.
Smell- you have a nice balance and very light smell of hops and malt.
Taste and Mouthfeel go hand in hand. This beer comes and goes so smoothly. This is a very fridge worthy beer. This brew sits very nicely and is a " who wants one' beer. Overall this beer is a great beer, just good tasting. well done. (340 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Appearance - Amber

Smell - Malty aroma

Taste - Malty with toasted semi-dry flavor

Mouth Feel - Crisp, light, enjoyable

Drinkability - Toasted malt flavor with very little hop bite. Extremely enjoyable beer where the focus is away from hop bitterness - put your feet up and enjoy! (283 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

22oz Bomber.... poured into pint glass.

A: Pale amber color with brownish copper tones. About 1-fingers with of head, that turns to a ring of foam that lasts thought out the session.... Very nice great lacing.

S: There is some crisp sweet fruit up front, like apples.... Then I'm getting a little caramel malt, little yeast and a lite hop note.... I'm feeling some Belgium feel in the smell

T: Wonderful balance of toasty malt, herbal hops, yeast with a touch of sweet fruit... Aftertaste has very nice toffee finish that is very clean...very nice... Not like other Amber Ales I've had... Nice change of pace.

M: Medium body, with a crisp, yet moderate carbonation. Clean and nice...

D: I had no problem going thought the bomber.... and could have done another one.... Very drinkable...

It is my first New Belgium Brew and I like it... Got to try more. (858 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Reviewed on 21 March 2009, soon after it hit NC shelves!

Appearanace: Russet amber that glimmers in the glass. Lots of bubbles that rise to a thin off-white head.

Aroma: Toast and homemade popcorn.

Taste: Toasty, malty, firm biscuit presence leads into a mild warm hop statement, and finishes with a bitter snap. Lovely!

Palate: Goes down smooth, jovially, agreeably, and maltily.

Overall: A great, well-balanced brew with a malt-foot forward. Easy, extroverted, not too complex but not at all boring!
It's categorized as an "American Amber/Red Ale" but to me it has shades of a good ESB (with less bitterness).
Nothing fancy -- but you don't always want a fancy beer. This hits the spot for a no-frills, solid, March-Madness-watching amber ale. (751 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Beer hipsters in the US have claimed for some time now that the Fat Tire Amber Ale (ABV 5.2%) from New Belgium Brewing is the coolest, best beer in the USA, and that I have to try it. Well, now that I see it's available in BC, I went out and bought some. It's apparently one of the most well-travelled brews in the states, and it's been well-received.

Time for your average beer appreciator (AKA Brewji) to take a sip and tell you what it's really like.

On first sniff, the aroma reminded me of biscuits, sweet biscuits...not in a bad way. It had almost a bready-biscuit aroma, if I may. Biscuit and malt? I'm not quite sure, but definitely not a bad aroma.

So I went in for the first sip, and was surprised at how well the flavours work together to make this a solid amber ale. The aroma of the biscuit-bread translates into a rustic, amber ale taste with a hint of sweetness and malt to brush all of the necessary taste buds on my palate.

Why was I surprised? Beer hipsters (AKA snobs) generally annoy me, and the fact that a lot of them recommended this beer to me made me have slightly lower-than-average expectations. However, New Belgium has done well with this one. I've had a couple of other brews from them as well, and have never been disappointed (yet).

Either way, take a good look at the label, and see if you can find this at your local liquor or beer store. It's definitely worth the pick-up. It stands out against most ambers on the market, and at $14 for a 6-pack (in Canada, beer is expensive), it's quite the steal.

So there you have it, the Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. I recommend this to newbies who are trying to transition out of the econo-lager phase and into ales. This, and the Blue Buck from Phillips are great transition-ers.

New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tire gets a surprisingly-not-so-hipster 8.5 / 10 (or 4.25 / 5 on Beer Advocate). (1,874 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

It'd been about eight years since I had my last one of these, so when I was in Albuquerque for a conference I couldn't wait to dive into one. I was reacquainted with this brew via the tap and it was as memory suggested, pleasant and enjoyable; no frills, just malty goodness.
Appearance: from the tap in a frosty mug - yes it was very appealing!
Smell: nice malt
Taste: delightful!
Drinkability: I had several and am a better person for it. (441 characters)

bomber.

i was sick of not being able to chime into "i love/i hate Fat Tire" discussions both on this website and in life. Since NJ is NB deprived i had to make a trade for some, amongst a few other NB goodies...

Pours a beautiful orange brown color, huge attractive white head that is very strong and leaves lots of sticking. Fruity, floral hop esters in the nose. Candy sweet malts, with slight sweet tart notes from the nose invade first followed by an excellent hop balance. Other notes of nuts, melon, grass and semi-spicy yeast. Balanced and very drinkable. I highly recommend this one for a session brew. Hopefully us in NJ will soon have some NB on our shelves.

i can proudly say..."i love Fat Tire" (710 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Growing up in Ft. Collins, this likely pushed/enticed me into the wonderful world of better beer. I remember its excellence on tap or in bombers from local distributors, but my experience trying it in distant locales has previously been a little disappointing. I'm hoping they've improved freshness, since I picked up a 12 pack in Arizona for a taste.

Beautiful amber coloration. Decent carbonation bubbling from the glass bottom enhances the visuals, but little to no head or lacing quickly fades.

Aroma has sweet carmelized malts mixed with date/raisin and maybe a little apricot.

Almost backwards from my expectations, bitterness ebbs from the first dose of flavor, followed with a brief kick of sugary malt that fades into a sour-bitter haze. I taste a moderate dose of hops that didn't seem at all present on the nose. The contrast between expectations announced by the aroma and the actual flavors the appear is dramatic IMO and make this a far quirkier brew than I ever remember or imagined. This odd result is enough for me to bump it up a half-point on both drinkability and flavor, since it seems like an accomplishment rarely achieved and certainly not achieved with the accomplishment here.

Mouthfeel is clean and certainly well-suited to quaffing repeated brews.

Not a Belgian, but not a simple amber either, this beer refuses to color within the lines and stands as a true testament to the spirit of the late 20th century microbrew revival in the U.S.. (1,484 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing