Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,853 | Hads: 7,610
4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to my wife for picking up a sixer while in Denver. We don't get any New Belgium offerings in Michigan. Well, I guess Fat Tire lived up to its hype. It was a bit paler than amber in color, and had a nice roasted chocolate aftertaste. The malt was fine and I really coundn't taste the hops, but their presence was detectable. One thing to note was that the first bottle was mildly carbonated (which I like), and the second bottle was a bit more fizzy (which I don't like). (477 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance is hazey orange red with a 1 finger white head

Smell: lot of toasted malt and hops

Taste: little hint of chocolate and toasted malts also hints of hop very smooth not bitter at all

Mouthfeel: not thin at all leaves you wanting more

Drinkability: i can drink this beer all night...great for session (312 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Quite a bit less hoppy than a lot of other amber ales I've had lately. Nice to have an amber that doesn't aspire to be some kind of 'extreme' beer. Doesn't go too crazy with the malt either, leaning in a distinctly yeasty direction.

Just a solid, uncomplicated beer, with fantastic drinkability. Quite quaffable. (314 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

I've been thoroughly impressed with this Amber ale since visiting Colorado last year (though for some reason, I failed to review it). Excellent balance of malts and hops makes this one of the most drinkable beers I've had in quite some time. Nice light ruby ale with great mouthfeel. Too bad I cannot find this Charlotte. (321 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard American pint glass.

A: The beer poured a coppery amber colour, with a nice deep head, and moderate carbonation.

S: Biscuity malts, light citrus hops, and a wee bit of yeast.

T: Caramel, toasted biscuity malts.

MF/D: Mild bodied and smooth, this beer is exceedingly drinkable. Very pleasant. It's hyped a lot as a "gateway" to microbrews, like Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam, and I can see why. The toasted malt flavour might be more my cup of tea than some folks, but this is one of my favourite tasty refreshing adult beverages of all time.

A great standby choice in any bar that serves it, since it seems to be most spots' "craft" beer of choice, against the big watery boys. (725 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Appearance- light amber, very clear.
Smell- you have a nice balance and very light smell of hops and malt.
Taste and Mouthfeel go hand in hand. This beer comes and goes so smoothly. This is a very fridge worthy beer. This brew sits very nicely and is a " who wants one' beer. Overall this beer is a great beer, just good tasting. well done. (340 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Appearance - Amber

Smell - Malty aroma

Taste - Malty with toasted semi-dry flavor

Mouth Feel - Crisp, light, enjoyable

Drinkability - Toasted malt flavor with very little hop bite. Extremely enjoyable beer where the focus is away from hop bitterness - put your feet up and enjoy! (283 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

22oz Bomber.... poured into pint glass.

A: Pale amber color with brownish copper tones. About 1-fingers with of head, that turns to a ring of foam that lasts thought out the session.... Very nice great lacing.

S: There is some crisp sweet fruit up front, like apples.... Then I'm getting a little caramel malt, little yeast and a lite hop note.... I'm feeling some Belgium feel in the smell

T: Wonderful balance of toasty malt, herbal hops, yeast with a touch of sweet fruit... Aftertaste has very nice toffee finish that is very clean...very nice... Not like other Amber Ales I've had... Nice change of pace.

M: Medium body, with a crisp, yet moderate carbonation. Clean and nice...

D: I had no problem going thought the bomber.... and could have done another one.... Very drinkable...

It is my first New Belgium Brew and I like it... Got to try more. (858 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Reviewed on 21 March 2009, soon after it hit NC shelves!

Appearanace: Russet amber that glimmers in the glass. Lots of bubbles that rise to a thin off-white head.

Aroma: Toast and homemade popcorn.

Taste: Toasty, malty, firm biscuit presence leads into a mild warm hop statement, and finishes with a bitter snap. Lovely!

Palate: Goes down smooth, jovially, agreeably, and maltily.

Overall: A great, well-balanced brew with a malt-foot forward. Easy, extroverted, not too complex but not at all boring!
It's categorized as an "American Amber/Red Ale" but to me it has shades of a good ESB (with less bitterness).
Nothing fancy -- but you don't always want a fancy beer. This hits the spot for a no-frills, solid, March-Madness-watching amber ale. (751 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Beer hipsters in the US have claimed for some time now that the Fat Tire Amber Ale (ABV 5.2%) from New Belgium Brewing is the coolest, best beer in the USA, and that I have to try it. Well, now that I see it's available in BC, I went out and bought some. It's apparently one of the most well-travelled brews in the states, and it's been well-received.

Time for your average beer appreciator (AKA Brewji) to take a sip and tell you what it's really like.

On first sniff, the aroma reminded me of biscuits, sweet biscuits...not in a bad way. It had almost a bready-biscuit aroma, if I may. Biscuit and malt? I'm not quite sure, but definitely not a bad aroma.

So I went in for the first sip, and was surprised at how well the flavours work together to make this a solid amber ale. The aroma of the biscuit-bread translates into a rustic, amber ale taste with a hint of sweetness and malt to brush all of the necessary taste buds on my palate.

Why was I surprised? Beer hipsters (AKA snobs) generally annoy me, and the fact that a lot of them recommended this beer to me made me have slightly lower-than-average expectations. However, New Belgium has done well with this one. I've had a couple of other brews from them as well, and have never been disappointed (yet).

Either way, take a good look at the label, and see if you can find this at your local liquor or beer store. It's definitely worth the pick-up. It stands out against most ambers on the market, and at $14 for a 6-pack (in Canada, beer is expensive), it's quite the steal.

So there you have it, the Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. I recommend this to newbies who are trying to transition out of the econo-lager phase and into ales. This, and the Blue Buck from Phillips are great transition-ers.

New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tire gets a surprisingly-not-so-hipster 8.5 / 10 (or 4.25 / 5 on Beer Advocate). (1,874 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

It'd been about eight years since I had my last one of these, so when I was in Albuquerque for a conference I couldn't wait to dive into one. I was reacquainted with this brew via the tap and it was as memory suggested, pleasant and enjoyable; no frills, just malty goodness.
Appearance: from the tap in a frosty mug - yes it was very appealing!
Smell: nice malt
Taste: delightful!
Drinkability: I had several and am a better person for it. (441 characters)

bomber.

i was sick of not being able to chime into "i love/i hate Fat Tire" discussions both on this website and in life. Since NJ is NB deprived i had to make a trade for some, amongst a few other NB goodies...

Pours a beautiful orange brown color, huge attractive white head that is very strong and leaves lots of sticking. Fruity, floral hop esters in the nose. Candy sweet malts, with slight sweet tart notes from the nose invade first followed by an excellent hop balance. Other notes of nuts, melon, grass and semi-spicy yeast. Balanced and very drinkable. I highly recommend this one for a session brew. Hopefully us in NJ will soon have some NB on our shelves.

i can proudly say..."i love Fat Tire" (710 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Growing up in Ft. Collins, this likely pushed/enticed me into the wonderful world of better beer. I remember its excellence on tap or in bombers from local distributors, but my experience trying it in distant locales has previously been a little disappointing. I'm hoping they've improved freshness, since I picked up a 12 pack in Arizona for a taste.

Beautiful amber coloration. Decent carbonation bubbling from the glass bottom enhances the visuals, but little to no head or lacing quickly fades.

Aroma has sweet carmelized malts mixed with date/raisin and maybe a little apricot.

Almost backwards from my expectations, bitterness ebbs from the first dose of flavor, followed with a brief kick of sugary malt that fades into a sour-bitter haze. I taste a moderate dose of hops that didn't seem at all present on the nose. The contrast between expectations announced by the aroma and the actual flavors the appear is dramatic IMO and make this a far quirkier brew than I ever remember or imagined. This odd result is enough for me to bump it up a half-point on both drinkability and flavor, since it seems like an accomplishment rarely achieved and certainly not achieved with the accomplishment here.

Mouthfeel is clean and certainly well-suited to quaffing repeated brews.

Not a Belgian, but not a simple amber either, this beer refuses to color within the lines and stands as a true testament to the spirit of the late 20th century microbrew revival in the U.S.. (1,484 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

A: amber orange with medium creamy white head with moderate retention and a minimal amount or lacing

S: warm, toasy malt aroma balanced with a floral hoppy aroma with a hint of fruit aromas

T: warm toasy malty flavor, not bready more like a flacky biscuit, also a hint of hopps to balance the brew

M: smooth with just a touch of carbonation

D: very nice, i'll take it as a summer or winter beer (398 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

so very happy to be able to taste this stuff again!

A - pale orange-amber with 1 finger of fluffy white head; good persistence and some nice lacing

S - nice malty nose; caramel and biscuit notes with a yeast element as well; very clean; hops are bright and crisp; lightly grassy

T - clean, layered malt; caramel, biscuit, and yeast again; tastes slightly German; a little toasty; biscuit malt through the middle

M - mid-weight and nearly creamy-textured from the CO2; good delineation

D - highly drinkable; very delicious; one of my favorite beers (552 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Fat Tire brew by New Belgium brewing company pours a dark amber from a 12oz brown bottle. Head forms about two fingers worth of fluffy tan foam that settles down to a thin cap and a well defined ring.

Nose is fragrant floral hops and malt with just a slight whiff of alcohol. Palate is a good amount of sweet malt mixed with a nice floral hops.

Not a supper duper top of the line Ale, Fat Tire Amber Ale is well put together and does not disappoint. (455 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

I've had this many, many times, but never out of a can, so I thought I'd give it a review. Poured into a pint glass.

A - great amber color with nice head and retention. The sight of this beer reminds me of fall, which is just around the corner.

S - combination of malt and hops, some fruit, maybe apricots or cherries, and a very slight bit of alcohol perhaps.

T - on the front are the hops, a tad dry and bitter, but then comes some sweet malt, fruit, bread, and caramel. Finishes very smoothly, not too dry or sweet, but just right.

M - good carbonation, nice balance of flavors, but a little liter than expected when compared to the bottle (which is what I've grown used to).

D - very smooth, not filling, and at a sessionable ABV. As mentioned above, it's liter than I'm used to, but I actually think I prefer this brew out of a can. Will definitely buy again. (869 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Brilliant deep gold with a thin white head. Splotchy lace.

Sweet light caramel and biscuity malty goodness. A little bit earthy

Lots of biscuit, some sweet caramel, a touch of tang, very light bitterness and a little lingering earthiness. Goes down very easy.

On the lighter side of medium with medium carbonation.

Pretty complex for how easy it goes down. The large amount of sweet biscuit flavors could throw someone off, but I could drink a few of these if the mood struck me. (483 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Purchased a six pack at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California.

Pours luminescent amber with a light orange sudsy head. Some stray striations of lacing left on the glass.

Smell is of earthy malts and bright bready notes.

Well-rounded breadiness (or the "bisquit" flavor so often mentioned in other reviews, and on the bottle too) is the first characteristic I taste, followed by a distinct yet down-played undercurrent of hops.

The aftertaste returns to the opening flavors of bisquit and malt.

So, in other words, the flavor of this beer comes full circle. Don't worry, I won't compare it to a bicycle wheel.

Happy to see New Belgium Brewing around here a lot lately -- they're becoming one of my favorite breweries! (742 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +19.1%

Beautiful and very drinkable brew. Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Holds a small head throughout. Clear gold color. Pleasant bread smell. Faint hop taste -- not for the hop nuts. Great feel in the mouth -- might consider it as a mouthwash. I love this beer. (270 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Deep Amber color, beautiful carbonation and on a good pour, I can get 3 fingers of thick head.

S - Very bready smell.

T - Caramel notes behind a bready, cereal malt taste

M - fairly light mouthfeel for how dark the beer is.

D - This is my beer of choice on the average day, so I don't exactly nurse it. A+ on Drinkability. (330 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

As I've mentioned, I'm not a fan of the hop bombs, so when I go for an ale I prefer something more reminiscent of a lager. I'd also noted that the Boont Amber ale seemed to have a bit more of a hoppy bite than the New Belgium; so, I just tried the Fat Tire again and it's more complex than I remembered. Light nose; citrus, vanilla and sourdough—I know, makes no sense to me, either. Semi-sweet chocolate on toast was my initial impression on tasting, followed by a gentle mix of grapefruit and licorice. I like this beer. A lot. (531 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%

One can gather a good account of this beer's qualities from other reviews so rather than be redundant I'd like to share a story, which I hope will show just how special this beer is.

I first had the Fat Tire in June of 1999 at a graduation party in Chicago. Around 8 O'clock that evening with some friends arrived with several dozen cases in the back of their dodge. It turned out that they had driven to some place in Missouri the night before to stock up on the brew for the occasion.

I immediately fell in love with the stuff and was disapointed to learn that it was unavailable anywhere in my area. I asked my "buddies" if they would sell me a case, and despite having literally hundreds of bottles of fat tire they all exclaimed no. That was just the beginning of my experiences with Fat Tire hoarders.

After moving to liberal Madison three years ago, I was happy to discover that many of the city's Yippie types keep a tire or two lying around for special occasions. Even these typically generous folks, however, wouldn't share much with me, "the fat tire's to prescious man. get you own man."

I put an end to that last month, though, when I picked up a good quantity of Tire in Colorado Springs on a road trip. Refusing to sucomb to the meiserly ways of those who introduced me to the beer, I have sworn to give it away freely and to any who appreciate a solid brew., although perhaps sometimes with a price.

Last week I made my friend Thomas, one of those yippie types that I was talking about earlier, clean my kitchen for a Tire. Despite the grime build up in the sink, and the rotten potato that was sprouting a virtual tree in the corner, Tom thanked me for the brew and offered to help paint my garge for a similar payment in the future.

To date, I can not think of single other beer that so many people will drive so far and go to such great lengths to obtain. Sometimes beers just have a quality that go beyond taste, and they are those beers that become the thing of legend. (2,010 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this beer very much. It had a hint of a chocolate or fudge taste, which made it very drinkable. It did not, in my opinion, have alot of after taste.

The beer is really good with just about any food. I have tried the beer with pizza, brautwurst, and even seafood. (276 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Love NB Labels they r very artistic!!!

Appearance - Pours a fairly clear golden-amber color with about 1/2 finger white heard. The head dissapated rather quickly to a think ring. Left little to now lacing on the glass.

Smell - I gathered a toasty sweet maltiness right off the bat. Subtle hoppy undertones as well.

Taste - Tasted very similar to the smell with sweet toasty malt taste up front with a nice hoppy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel - A medium bodied offering with a good amount of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.
Drinkability - A nice smooth beer that is very easy to drink. The carbonation gives it a heavier feel than it actually is.

I have had the opportunity to try this beer on mutiple occasions and have yet to be dissapointed. I highly recommend!!! (882 characters)

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing