Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
thelargeone

KimenTshom

01-01-2012 00:37:17 | More by KimenTshom
jasonpeckins32

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%

I tried this one on-tap at the Hard Rock Cafe in San Diego while on vacation. We were bar hopping and I think this was the third place I went to that suggested I try this particular beer after I asked what good craft beers they had available. So I finally decided I'd give it a whirl. To be honest, I dont have a clue what those southern californians were thinking because I was terribly unimpressed by this beer.

It had an auburn tint, transparent, with very little carbonation at all. I usually dont like quaffing flat beers and this was no exception. Not a lot of flavor, a bit bready. I'd almost just assume have a busch light if you could believe that. So for 5 bucks a pint, this wasnt one of my best purchases.

10-16-2007 03:36:58 | More by jasonpeckins32
nightcrawler

1.7/5  rDev -52.6%

Lots of people praise this beer and I had to go to a couple of stores to find a bottle. I really wish I hadn't been able to find it.

The smell is something horrid. Like the inside of a warm rubber or something. The taste was like a stale cracker or bread crust. Maybe it would go better with some kind of food, but by itself, it was not refreshing.

Sat on my stomach like a heavy brick.

09-24-2007 01:40:35 | More by nightcrawler
PaulAndrew

Arkansas

1.73/5  rDev -51.8%

I had this on a freezing winter night this past year. I heard rave reviews of it and saw countless people buying pitchers at my local wing joint and decided to give it a try. It was slightly black in appearance and tasted like gasoline. I don't feel that I received a good batch or something else was wrong with it because it didn't look the same as when i had seen it in the past. I'd be willing to give it another go if it was offered to me.

03-09-2014 08:57:39 | More by PaulAndrew

GarbageMan

08-13-2012 01:26:24 | More by GarbageMan
kristenspaintings

1.78/5  rDev -50.4%

This beer is slightly bitter and has very little flavor otherwise. I expected more from this beer, given how much I’ve heard about it and how often I see it around. If you don’t want your beer to interfere with tasting your food, this would be the one for you.
There’s nothing offensive about it. It was really quite disappointingly neutral. An amber ale is supposed to have more flavor I think.

01-24-2013 01:34:47 | More by kristenspaintings
mikechance

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

I have never enjoyed Fat Tire from a bottle so I tried it recently off a tap. It still does nothing for me. It is just not a good beverage. It smells a little off and funky. It tastes very flat and almost spoiled and leaves a very nasty after taste. I struggled to get a pint down. As the "flagship" beer of an excellent brewery this beer should be avoided; sample the other treats New Belgium has to offer.

04-26-2011 01:55:04 | More by mikechance
mrgrandefromage

1.83/5  rDev -49%

Before we start, I will say that this beer is much better on tap. But we're reveiwing the bottle here. Pours a pale amber with a decent head. Try not to smell this beer if you can avoid it. Smells like a compost pile. The flavor is just off. Skunky and unpleasant. In the mouth it feels like beer, but you don't really want it in your mouth because it taste so off. Not really drinkable at all. New Belgium makes much better beer than this.

04-10-2005 18:04:02 | More by mrgrandefromage
jeremyd365

1.9/5  rDev -47.1%

This is cheap beer. It tastes like it was massed produced with cheap ingredients and was pretty disappointing for a $5.99 bomber. I'm glad I split it with someone so I only had to drink half. It had decent mouth feel and appearance, but the rest was rather disappointing.

10-15-2012 23:35:24 | More by jeremyd365
mrasskicktastic

1.93/5  rDev -46.2%

A - A huge frothy white head sits on top of a clear copper brew. The hed dissipates in minutes leaving thin rings of lacing at every sip.

S - THIS is the fat tire which I have heard countless rave over? It smells of very stale grain with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg underneath. A touch of dry hay keeps it hopped. Seriously, this smells pretty awful.

T - The taste, though not great is not nearly as unpleasant as the smell. The flavor has a dry light grain, not a hint of sweetness, with an intense carbonated water aftertaste accompanied by some hay and a bit of a cinnamon presence. Not good, but drinkable at least.

M - Thin, extremely highly carbonated - it actually tickles my throat, neither drying nor particularly thirst quenching.

D - Well, I can hold my nose on the sips, so it is just a little unpleasant. Last time I listen to the masses. I'm really sad to have bought a whole six pack of this. I will not have this one again (after the other five bottles) - at least it is nice to look at . . .

09-25-2007 05:21:07 | More by mrasskicktastic
TheLiterati

1.95/5  rDev -45.7%

Bottle says best before 29 Sept 06. It's exactly a month before that date, and I'm now wondering if it's too late, or if I just have a bad bottle.

I've had Fat Tire before, both bottled and on tap, and this is NOT what I remember. Even served some from a different bottle at a tasting I hosted just a few days ago and enjoyed it much more.

The beer is beautifully amber, deep in color with a pleasant effervescence. But when I raised the glass to my nose I was repulsed by the odor of – sorry to be crass – vomit.

After backing away from the glass and letting it sit a spell, I came back to give it another whiff, and the unpleasant smell had given way to something a bit more tolerable, though for the life of me, I can’t put a name to it. Maybe molasses, a little caramel, a bit like a biscuit. But there’s still something skanky lurking under there.

I hate to waste beer, I really do, so before giving up on this one without tasting it, I grabbed some saltines to clear my palate and hoped for the best.

I take a sip and again, I’m baffled. I just don’t remember this beer tasting this way. It’s not awful – it’s just not great. While the mouthfeel is actually nice enough, the taste is just off.

I don’t know what else to say. Drinkable on tap, but the bottles seem to lack consistency in quality.

08-30-2006 04:21:38 | More by TheLiterati
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.98/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a small white head that falls fast into almost nothing. Smells sweet and has some spices in the smell. Has a brownish amber color that's very clear, almost golden. Taste reminds me of kit kat bars. Not desirable. Taste is a little woody. It's sweet flavor at first reminds me a little of an Oktoberfest. Mouthfeel is ok, a little harsh on the carbonation. Overall, I think I am happy to just try this, but I won't have too many more of these.

09-15-2007 13:52:29 | More by Erdinger2003
dvb

1.98/5  rDev -44.8%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Color is amber, but not far off from that of a "fizzy yellow" American lager. Nice 1" white head which quickly settled to just a thin layer. Nice lacing.

S - Not much to smell here.

T - Reminds me of Leinenkugel's amber, but perhaps a little more bready. More like a watered-down Sam Adams Boston Lager. I can drink Sam's, but this is tough.

M - Thin and solvent-like. Somewhat astringent. Average carbonation.

D - I have only two bottles of this stuff left and I am tempted to give them away. I just don't care for this stuff.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of the style, but this recipe needs work.

02-12-2010 03:50:23 | More by dvb