Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,889 | Hads: 7,853
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

22oz bomber

A-copper color with a white/slight off white head. Mouth-watering apperance. Very appealing

S-strong smell of buttery biscuits, noticed some toffee scents in there also.

T-definetly taste those buttery biscuits as well, more butter than biscuit though. Finishes quick and dry, not much if any lingering after taste. Leaves a nice buttery feeling taste on ur lips though.

M- much less than thick, definetly more than thin though. Nice feel on the palate.

D-drinking this is not problem at all. Goes down easy, really easy. Dont be surprised if you are seeing the bottom of your glass too soon. That can be majorly attributed to the dry finish though.

Without a doubt a unique, enjoyable, and must give a try beer. I wont be stocking up on it, but i wouldnt turn it away either.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a light amber crystal clear body with a nice off-white soapy thick head. The carbonation is lots of tiny bubbles slowly rising to the surface.

S- The smell of biscuit malt is fresh with some pale malt in the background. The noble hops add a nice accent to the big biscuit aroma.

T- The taste of dry fresh biscuit malt is bold and refreshing. There is a faint earthiness and corn note but it is very subtle and gives some depth to the malt. The finish has a very soft noble hop bitterness.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with fizz texture.

D- This beer highlights the great dry roast of biscuit malt. It is a refreshing twist on an Amber and is unique.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a New Belgium glass. My Fat Tire poured a bright reddish amber color with a thick foamy white head with some lacing. As others have noted, there is not alot to go on smell-wise, some hoppy notes but nothing too distinct, some fruit maybe. The taste gave me a bit more of the hops in there with some sweetness and a bit of caramel. Overall this is an enjoyable beer that is very drinkable as I can attest to from several experiences with this one.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours: out a dark cherry/amber, clear with a moderate white head.

Smell: was pretty average, nothing spectacular cept' maybe apples

Taste :A decent mix of hopps,yeast,caramel was all I could realy taste. It wasn't as good as people have claimed, but in no way bad.

Mouthfeel: A tad dry than I would prefer or recomend.

Overall: One of those "Once in a blue moon" brews.

2.84/5  rDev -21.1%

Honey coloured liquid- ever so slightly hazy. Modest off white head falls at a decent rate, leaving just a bit of lace behind.

Loses some major points on smell. There's not much there to go on, but what there is smells a bit ashy and old. Hopefully the flavour is better. :)

Flavour is kind of raw grainy, with not much else going on. There's just a hint of hop bitterness under.

Liquid is just the thin side of medium. Carbonation is prominent, but not annoying.

Drinkability is OK....but I give it marks off because it's a personal rating, and I'm just not that crazy about this one. If there were more going on with it, maybe it'd do better.

Be well

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber hue with a modest head and a good amount of bubbling. Head dissapates slowly. The aroma has a strong sweet malt character with hints of chocolate and toasted malts. Flavor is malty, quite toasty and sweet. It reminds me of a roasted marshmallow or a smore. There is a hint of hops at the end to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is good. It is medium bodied and I could easily drink a couple more of these. Very tasty.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a clean amber into my glass with a fluffy head, which sadly remained but a few minutes before subsiding with little lacing to remind me it was once there.
Right from the pour you know this beer is about malt. Heady biscuity aromas prepare you for what is a very malty beer. Again, smooth biscuit caresses the palate, with a slightly grainy finish, and only a little bitter bite. The taste is lovely, but you won't find a complexity of flavours to distinguish from.
Very smooth, medium bodied. Quite drinkable. I will be trying this again sometime.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

It's become a bit of a tradition now that any trips out west will end with me stashing a few of these in my carry-on luggage. The beer pours a nice, clean amber color, with a very pleasant malty aroma. The taste is very nicely balanced; biscuity malt flavor with enough hops to keep things even (I thought the bitterness of the hops was much more apparent when I had it on tap). Drinkability is off the scale; this is a great session beer. I only pray that someday New Belgium will see the light and start shipping to the East Coast.

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

A - Nice transparent body with a low sticky head.
S - Malty, grainy aroma with only a trace of sweetness in the background.
T - Malty flavor with light bitterness and thin sweetness. Very simple.
M - Low carbonation, not very crisp. Medium body.
D - This is a easy drinking beer, but has little else going for it.

Best before date: 17Feb06
Consummed on: 31Jan06

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Time was, I liked Fat Tire a whole, whole lot. I'm sure the recipe and production techniques haven't changed in the intervening time, however I think my own personal tastes have shifted to where this beer doesn't quite do it for me the way it once did. As such, whenever I'm at an establishment where Fat Tire is for sale, there are usually enough other beers available that preclude me from buying Fat Tire. But when a case is on sale for $15, I have no problem picking it up.

Whereas Fat Tire likes to promote its "feat of balance," I personally feel the beer leans heavily upon its biscuity-malt character, without much hops to equalize things. Then again, if I were to seek balance I'd look in an APA (okay, or a good hoppy Brown Ale). That's just where my tastes are nowadays.

I don't want to sound too down on Fat Tire. I think it is a fine beer, well-made, and certainly drinkable. I think the aroma shows a side of maltiness that you don't usually run into, and to be fair I detect more hop bitterness with subsequent sips. As I said, not too long ago I was a very big fan. But my tastes being what they are now, I tend to prefer a beer that does not showcase cereal, biscuity malt flavors in the way that Fat Tire -- quite deftly I might add -- does.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Bomber poured into a pint glass

Aggressive pour yielded 1/2 inch of bone white head. quickly dissapates. Very clear amber/copper color. Looks clean/pure. Little lacing

Smell is chocolate and lemon. Unique. Well done for an amber.

Taste is malt and bready

Dry, carbonated feel.

Drinkable brew, not overpowering by any means.

Fairly boring brew, good for a few beers, but flavor is a bit lacking and it doesn't leave me with an impression.

I bought a 12 pack of bombers from Costco, UNREFRIGERATED. I know, I know, ....save it. I'll re-taste with a tap drawn beer or a cold bottle to see if there is any improvement.

3.36/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours out a deep amber color with a slight tan 1 inch head that goes down quickly.

Smells, like the bottle says, toasty. It is a toasty malt smell. A slight sweet smell and fruity smell like apples, or apple juice. Just a malty aroma. a little grainy cereal comes to mind.

Taste is decent. a light sweet malty flavor. Malty, but not overpowering, or even that strong. Seems many people would like this, which isnt always a good thing. i dont taste any hop flavor coming out, but it does seem balance like its there.

Mouthfeel is ok. average carbonation. This is a malty beer, hops are a little too outweighed here. It dries my mouth.

Overall i could see this beer selling off the shelves around my area, but i an not totally convenced on it. I kept hearing about this beer before, but i am a little disappointed. I'd certainly drink it again, but i wouldnt seek out for it.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

Growing up in Ft. Collins, this likely pushed/enticed me into the wonderful world of better beer. I remember its excellence on tap or in bombers from local distributors, but my experience trying it in distant locales has previously been a little disappointing. I'm hoping they've improved freshness, since I picked up a 12 pack in Arizona for a taste.

Beautiful amber coloration. Decent carbonation bubbling from the glass bottom enhances the visuals, but little to no head or lacing quickly fades.

Aroma has sweet carmelized malts mixed with date/raisin and maybe a little apricot.

Almost backwards from my expectations, bitterness ebbs from the first dose of flavor, followed with a brief kick of sugary malt that fades into a sour-bitter haze. I taste a moderate dose of hops that didn't seem at all present on the nose. The contrast between expectations announced by the aroma and the actual flavors the appear is dramatic IMO and make this a far quirkier brew than I ever remember or imagined. This odd result is enough for me to bump it up a half-point on both drinkability and flavor, since it seems like an accomplishment rarely achieved and certainly not achieved with the accomplishment here.

Mouthfeel is clean and certainly well-suited to quaffing repeated brews.

Not a Belgian, but not a simple amber either, this beer refuses to color within the lines and stands as a true testament to the spirit of the late 20th century microbrew revival in the U.S..

2.33/5  rDev -35.3%

abv listed at 5.2% best before 17/mar/06

clear amber with a light orange tinge. light carbonation and almost no head. very little white lacing on the surface.

aroma is light, even after letting it warm a bit. mostly sweeter malt over anything else. nothing to rave about.

pretty dry, almost medicinal taste. comes across as a macro lager with some crystal malt really.

some plasticy quality about the mouthfeel. pretty tough to finish. in fact, i dont think i will.

ive read some good things about new belgium, and this beer in particular. maybe this is just a bad batch, but didnt see anything else available from them. disappointing.

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours into my nonic glass a reddish-gold with a short, fizzy head that falls quickly to a thin ring. There's a little lacing left that's persistent, but there's not much of a head to leave lots.

Smell brings to mind peaches, pears and cat... um... well... cat piss. Some fruitiness and acidities. Really not so bad, just not so great.

Subtle tastes; Fruits, grains in crackerish form, a very brief hop bitterness. Pretty well balanced, I guess. Just kind of unenthusiastic in total flavor quality.

Mouthfeel suffers; Not enough carbonation, or rather not carbonation of the right sort. What's there is too tight to really excite the flavors around the palate, and it completely cleans the palate upon swallowing, leaving almost no aftertaste or after-feel.

Definitely drinkable with food; I had this with pizza and it was a jammin' combination. I wouldn't choose it to drink it by itself, though. When a beer excites me I write long reviews; This one didn't impress me for how much I've heard about it.

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

Fresh from the tap this beer is a clear, bubbly amber color with a foamy white cap. The aroma is toasty, but faint. It tastes dry and bready, with not alot of sweetness. Bitterness is subtle. It has a clean crisp feel on the palate, and isn't too thin. I always think of Fat Tire as good drink paired with a meal, but not that exciting by itself. There is good balance here, but a little more flavor in general would give this a higher score.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

One of my favorite beers of all time. While living in CO, this was a staple in my diet.

Pours a nice amber color with a good head. Deep amber. Lots of lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell is a little sweet, but very complimentary to the hop profile. Hops are fruity and sweet and very pleasing and approachable.

Probably my favorite session beer of all time. Sometimes it can get a little sweet, but all in all, a great beer to keep in your fridge for everyday consumption.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

This is the flagship brew from New Belgium, a very popular ale and I can understand why. It has enough quality to endear beer enthusiasts and is yet approachable enough to appeal to novices or those who dont normally drink craft beer.

It's flavor and aroma are dominated by major biscuity maltiness. Hop rates are not high but balance well to accent the malt. A very drinkable, refreshing ale.

The label features a Fat Tire cruiser bike. A visit to the brewery will find a bunch of these bikes parked outside as employees are awarded them and frequently ride them to work - cool!

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a growler.

A: Orange cast with off-white head and lacing.

S: Rich and almost pungent. Very sweet and biscuit-like.

T: Nutty, bready sweetness. There's a nice hop presence in the mid-tones that gives a slight grassy taste to break up the big malt presence. Very subtle fruit presence near the end - some bananna, and even a yeastiness. Very distinct flavor that's hard to confuse, but easy to remember.

M: Moderate carbonation. Dry feel in the finish and satisfying until then.

D: Very drinkable.

Overall: Really a beer that has a taste to stay in your memory. A very nice amber that merits visiting time and again.

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

I don't get it.

Amber orangey with nice lacing and a nice flat bubbly head that laces atop the brew through out. Aroma is fruity, almost reminiscent of Froot Loops.0

The taste, however, is like hard water with spent grains, kind of like that bready taste I don't really like. Slight thin fruitiness with some roasty grain feeling and an acidic/tannin-like aftertaste that is more reminiscent of grain than hops. I don't get why this beer is so popular. Tastes like a souped up amber ale but with a strange aftertate.

This beer is okay, but it is neither here nor there, and the strange Froot Loops taste is pleasing and not pleasing at the same time. Certainly a good brew, but one that I will probably skip in the future. Unless I'm in Colorado, of course...

A special thanks to co-worker Natalie and her father for providing this for me.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: A warm bengal orange, clear as day. Foamy light beige head with meager retention but great lacing.

Smell: Buttery and rich, reminiscent of Brazil nuts, pine nuts, and creamed corn. Caramel malts, toasted wheat, and light, citric hops round out the aroma.

Taste: Everything from the aroma is here, and then some. More hoppy than the nose let on. Strong nutty taste. A bit more malty than I generally prefer for the style, but still very well-balanced with a pleasantly dry, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Big, soft bubbles create a thick, creamy froth in your mouth. A bit sticky. Great for the style.

Drinkability: I think I could drink this every day. A great sit-back-and-relax beer. The flavor and aroma are so nice, they really help take your mind off everything else. Like meditation in a bottle.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Nice pour. A sparklyn new penny pinkcopper with a nice white head and good lacing.

Smells of caramel, strong and sweet, along with a hint of biscuit. Not much complexity, but it's still quite nice.

Tastes of sweet caramel up front, moving into a middle of honey-soaked bread and caramel, ending on a refreshing mix of sweet fruit and dry hops. Very nice.

This is a great session beer that's earned its reputation as a reliable American classic.

3.47/5  rDev -3.6%

355 ml bottle best by 02 Dec 05, hey that's today! Poured a fairly typical amber ale with a thinnish off-white head. Nice lacing. Slight chill haze.

Smelled something unexpected here; a hint of cheese! Never got that from a beer before. A good smell, however.

Tasted fairly mild, more flavour becoming evident as it warmed up. Slight cidery taste.
Mouthfeel a little thin, reasonable carbonation.

A nice unspectacular brew; quite drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Amber in color. Slight head with a carmel color. Crisp taste and very drinkable. May seem an average amber ale to most but I find it one of my favorites. I could drink Fat Tire over and over, and I have. My first encounter with Fat Tire and New Belgium Brewing was in 1997 and since I live in the East I've been hooked ever since. Also helps me to remember good times in Colorado. I wonder how much of beer taste is tied to memories of people, places, things? Does this cloud judgement I wonder?

3.89/5  rDev +8.1%

Freshness date: 05DEC05.

Served at forty-five minutes over fridge temperature into a Fuller's becker, with much anticipation.

Fat Tire; I never thought the day would come that I would get to sample this classic amber. A friend brought a case back from Colorado to Jersey, and here I sit before my only bottle. Time to hop on the bike...

Appearance- A very pale amber that supports a rugged, two finger head on a rough pour. The bubbles are unusually large and loud, finally quieting to a thin mat. Almost perfect clarity.

Smell- If you could crank the levels of "sweet" and "toasty" both up to 10 simultaniously, and then take a whiff, you would have Fat Tire. Frankly, I have never smelled anything like it... sometimes with a fantastic quadrupel, I find myself with nose buried into a snifter, taking in the magic of the Belgian ways... but never have I done so with a "domestic amber". I get toasted sesame seeds and fresh bread from a bakery just under way at 5:00 in the morning. Magnificent.

Taste- Well done biscuits with sesame seeds, a nice malty character with only a trace of hops. Lingering toastiness in the mouth long after the swallow.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Small, sharp, aggressive carbonation that might best be countered with food... a bit much on its own. The huge toasted maltiness begs for full attention, and grabs it by drink's end. I am glad to have sampled this truly unique beer from a city I probably will never have the pleasure of visiting in the near future.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing