Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Beer hipsters in the US have claimed for some time now that the Fat Tire Amber Ale (ABV 5.2%) from New Belgium Brewing is the coolest, best beer in the USA, and that I have to try it. Well, now that I see it's available in BC, I went out and bought some. It's apparently one of the most well-travelled brews in the states, and it's been well-received.

Time for your average beer appreciator (AKA Brewji) to take a sip and tell you what it's really like.

On first sniff, the aroma reminded me of biscuits, sweet biscuits...not in a bad way. It had almost a bready-biscuit aroma, if I may. Biscuit and malt? I'm not quite sure, but definitely not a bad aroma.

So I went in for the first sip, and was surprised at how well the flavours work together to make this a solid amber ale. The aroma of the biscuit-bread translates into a rustic, amber ale taste with a hint of sweetness and malt to brush all of the necessary taste buds on my palate.

Why was I surprised? Beer hipsters (AKA snobs) generally annoy me, and the fact that a lot of them recommended this beer to me made me have slightly lower-than-average expectations. However, New Belgium has done well with this one. I've had a couple of other brews from them as well, and have never been disappointed (yet).

Either way, take a good look at the label, and see if you can find this at your local liquor or beer store. It's definitely worth the pick-up. It stands out against most ambers on the market, and at $14 for a 6-pack (in Canada, beer is expensive), it's quite the steal.

So there you have it, the Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing. I recommend this to newbies who are trying to transition out of the econo-lager phase and into ales. This, and the Blue Buck from Phillips are great transition-ers.

New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tire gets a surprisingly-not-so-hipster 8.5 / 10 (or 4.25 / 5 on Beer Advocate).

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

12 oz brown bottle

New Belgium Fat Tire poured a slightly hazy amber color producing a thin off-white head that fades quickly and left very thin lacing. The aroma is of light malt, bready and soft citrus, The taste is dominated by malt, is bready and has soft bitterness in the finish. Mouth feel is medium-light with an almost fizzy carbonation.

This is my second beer from New Belgium. I was impressed with their Trippel so I had high expectations for Fat Tire. Well, I am sorry to say I was a little disappointed with Fat Tire - still worth a try if you are a fan of the style.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing