Fat Tire Amber Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Tire Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Never see this stuff (or other New Belgium beers) in VA/NC, so it's cool to see the Fat Tire logo lit up in neon all over Portland, OR and surrounding areas. I had to try one on for size.

Pours a toasty golden copper with very little head that thins too quickly. Nothing remarkable in its looks...

The aroma is probably my favorite aspect of this beer, as it strongly recalls buttered sourdough bread straight from the toaster. Wicked. There's a lighter spice element in the background that I can't put my finger on...cardamom? nutmeg? Ultimately it's complete and total toast. Toast Advocates should check it out.

Flavor-wise you get a big helping of toasty, crisp, biscuity flavor, with hops being present but pretty low-key. This is maybe not the most mindblowing beer out there, but it is one of the most unique, in that I can't recall a single other flavor like it.

Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, with a nip of toastiness (oh really?) and light bitterness on the tongue.

Not the most bready beer around, but one of the most toast-like, if that's not too confusing.

Metalmonk, Oct 05, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I like this beer quite a bit, and I may have even reviewed it before. It has a nice copper color to it, with an off-white head. Smells sort of bready, and tastes so, as well. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation, and drinkability is good.

My main issue with this beer is the cost. I mostly get it because I like the 22oz bottle, but at the local Jewel, the regular price is $3.99 per bottle !!! Now, I would never pay that. I get it at Teddy's Liquors for $2.69, but even at that, it's way over-priced. Yet, I still get it.... oh well. I still like it.

SchaefMan, Oct 04, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -10%

Poured a clear, light copper color with a good amount of carbonation and off-white head. Decent lacing. Aroma was rich and malty with a fair amount of biscuit and caramel. Hops were definitely secondary. Fruity, plum-like scent. Medium body. Spicy fruit flavor with plenty of sweet malt. Floral hops were in the background. Mouthfeel was about average. Well balanced. Could use a little more pizazz. Quite drinkable, though, and could be a good session beer, particularly at restaurants with limited beer selections.

I've read this has/had a slight Belgian character. If true, it's either gone or I couldn't detect it. Not exotic by any stretch, but a solid amber ale.

shererjt, Sep 25, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -46.2%

A - A huge frothy white head sits on top of a clear copper brew. The hed dissipates in minutes leaving thin rings of lacing at every sip.

S - THIS is the fat tire which I have heard countless rave over? It smells of very stale grain with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg underneath. A touch of dry hay keeps it hopped. Seriously, this smells pretty awful.

T - The taste, though not great is not nearly as unpleasant as the smell. The flavor has a dry light grain, not a hint of sweetness, with an intense carbonated water aftertaste accompanied by some hay and a bit of a cinnamon presence. Not good, but drinkable at least.

M - Thin, extremely highly carbonated - it actually tickles my throat, neither drying nor particularly thirst quenching.

D - Well, I can hold my nose on the sips, so it is just a little unpleasant. Last time I listen to the masses. I'm really sad to have bought a whole six pack of this. I will not have this one again (after the other five bottles) - at least it is nice to look at . . .

mrasskicktastic, Sep 25, 2007
1.7/5  rDev -52.6%

Lots of people praise this beer and I had to go to a couple of stores to find a bottle. I really wish I hadn't been able to find it.

The smell is something horrid. Like the inside of a warm rubber or something. The taste was like a stale cracker or bread crust. Maybe it would go better with some kind of food, but by itself, it was not refreshing.

Sat on my stomach like a heavy brick.

nightcrawler, Sep 24, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to my uncle who sent this to me from OKC.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer. I had heard that it was both a fine beer and that it was simple average.

Well, having it for the first time, I must say that I really like this beer.

Pours a deep amber color with plenty of lacing and a head that doesn't go away thru the whole beer.

The smell is the only thing off about this beer. I wasn't bad...but it wasn't good.

It has a very earthy, bready taste. I had never tasted an ale like this, and it was a very unique brew.

This beer actually coated my mouth. I'm still smacking as I type this.

Very good drinkability. I would have another one right now if it wasn't my last one.

Overall, I was not disappointed with this beer. It's very unique, so be prepared to be surprised.

jdubjacket, Sep 21, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Smell is malty, with breadlike yeast. Taste is somewhat plain at first, but then it has a pleasant bready aftertaste. This isn't a beer I particularly rave about, but there's nothing wrong with it. It's not too complicated, but it's pleasant enough, and does have good balance. Mouthfeel a little thinner than I'd like. Very drinkable though. It beats Budweiser.

Strix, Sep 18, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours an amber color with a finger of white head, solid lacing, over a clear brown beer. Mild nose of light toasted malt, light breadiness and caramel. Taste is similar - some lit spicy toasted malt, sweet caramel. Very mild hop character. Light saltiness. Body is a little thin, watery. Carbonation is good. A fairly mediocre amber, although certainly unoffensive. Nothing really drawing me to this one though.

soupyman10, Sep 17, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a small white head that falls fast into almost nothing. Smells sweet and has some spices in the smell. Has a brownish amber color that's very clear, almost golden. Taste reminds me of kit kat bars. Not desirable. Taste is a little woody. It's sweet flavor at first reminds me a little of an Oktoberfest. Mouthfeel is ok, a little harsh on the carbonation. Overall, I think I am happy to just try this, but I won't have too many more of these.

Erdinger2003, Sep 15, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Nice copper coloring, with a good couple inches of tan head. Good lacing drips all the way down the glass.

Bready, toasted malt in the nose, with some flowery yeast. Twinge of hops.

Moderate body, it's nicely carbonated, crisp and short on the palate. Caramel sweetness with serious yeast flavors, slightly floral, very much like bread. Toasted heavily, with light hopping, it's balanced and drinkable, but not too demanding on the tastebuds.

BretSikkink, Sep 11, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

I'm always excited to drink this beer and everytime I have it i'm a little let down. This beer has the most consistent taste of any beer i've ever had, you can set your watch to it. If you could brew a beer that tastes the way a freshly mowed lawn smells, this would be it. Very earthy, almost like wading your way through haight ashbury when the hippies havent showered. I know people love this beer, i'll drink it if there's nothing else available, but wouldnt buy it. Try their 1554, it's delicious.

Murchmac, Sep 11, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Had several of these at my Uncle's wedding recnetly

Good amber, seemed like more than a brown rather than a red though

People love this one and it is massly produced and sold almost everywhere now because of this

Smells good, but loses taste very quickly

Decent head, fairly low alcohol content

Floydster, Sep 06, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -10%

Fat Tire, Fat Tire, they have Fat Tire! That's all I've heard the last several months, so I figured it must be great. I tried it. . . Good. Not great. The hype was way more exciting than the beer. My first taste was from a bottle the second was on tap (I bought the bottle warm at the grocery store and wanted to give FT a second chance).

Negatives: It looked like any other amber ale, maybe a bit redder, and had a very regular mouth feel with some stickiness left over after the beer was swallowed. In terms of drinkability, I was very quickly "flavor-stuffed" and didn't want more than one or two pints.

Positives: It smelled good. I thought I'd want to drink an entire barrel. The flavor was good, but didn't wow me- a little like tree bark, almost like New Belgium was trying too hard to create something "special". A pint or two was all I wanted before I switched beers.

I would drink it over the mass produced versions of American Ales/Reds, but would try another micro AA before going back to Fat Tire.

phartzog, Sep 06, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Large bottle, in a pub in Chicago.
It is a nice looking beer, amber, with an average white head that shows a reasonable retention.
It is light to medium bodied, with a smell that is faint, but mostly malty.
Taste is average "amber", well malted, minimally hopped and very.
This is a good brew, but quite inferior to the on-tap, fresher version I had in Colorado. Go for the tap if you can.

brdc, Sep 05, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours out a deep gold/orange color; medium sized, cream-colored head leaves some thick lace. Not a strong smell, mostly caramel malts. Mainly biscuity malt, some caramel tones. Some bitterness, but mostly floral tones on the hops. Very full mouthfeel. Nothing spectacular, but not a bad beer nonetheless. Worth a try if you're into ambers.

Tballz420, Sep 03, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Presentation: bottle with Return to the Twin Cities label from France 44.

A: Barely amber and mostly gold ale with a bubbly off white head with large and small bubbles.

S: Clean nose with light spice and little malt. Good but not fantastic.

T: Very smooth malty taste with little else.

M: light--not watery--much.

D: Very. Goes down easy with little to stand in the way.

Overall: Not a bad beer--perfectly fine. Not sure what all the hub-bub is about with trying to get it everyone. Much better than any macro--clean, light, no off flavors--solid light malt with just a touch of hops. Good for what it is, but not my choice.

FightingEntropy, Sep 03, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a nice copper amber with a creamy off-white, long lasting head. Only a little lacing left on the pint glass. Aroma is of tosted malts and biscuity heaviness. A grassy hoppines is also noted. Flavor is somewhat the same: biscuits and toasted malts. Hoppy bitterness is kept to a minimum, but still can be detected in the background. Aftertaste is heavy, and lingers for a while. Mouthfeel is oily and slick, but clean and the carbonation leaves a nice bite on my tongue. Overall, this brew would be great with a spicy gumbo or stew, but I would rather have a big DIPA for an accompaniment instead.

domtronzero, Sep 01, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

I was pleasantly surprised to find fresh 22 oz. bombers of this at the general store in Grand Canyon Village. This was a fantastic accompaniment to food cooked over a campfire after a long day of hiking.

Appearance: a deep ruby color white a white, lacy head.

Smell: sweet, syrupy, little bitterness. Inviting, though not complex.

Taste: Here's where I started to be impressed. It was along the lines of a favorite of mine, Great Lakes Eliot Ness. Instead of a clean lager yeast, though, this one was all Belgian. A strong supporting note of apricot fruitiness backed up the deep maltiness of the brew. The two flavors played off of each other nicely.

Mouthfeel and drinkability were managed nicely. The brew was not too syrupy or fizzy. This would have been a nice session beer if I had managed to buy more than one bomber. Maybe I'll be west of the Mississippi soon and sample this nice beer again.

Mickelswit, Sep 01, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a cooled tulip.

A: Pours bright amber with a light orange-tinted head of about 2 fingers. The suds are very uneven and leave a slight lacing on the glass.

S: Smells of lightly toasted malts and hints of fruit. After an initial aroma dominated by malts; the hops come through with the aroma of wet cut clover.

T: This is a fairly clean beer. The body is moderate, as is the carbonation. It is nicely malty upfront, with some bitterness from the hops to balance out the flavor. The aftertaste leaves a slight bitterness that coats the mouth.

M: Decent mouthfeel. A bit thin but the hops and carbonation clear the palate sufficiently for the following sips..

D: This is a solid amber ale; very drinkable. It has good flavor and there is nothing overpowering but there is also nothing that gives this beer distinction or discrimination compared to its American cousins.

Comment: A solid beer that is predictable, balanced and refreshing. A good beer for a softball game or while sitting in the hot tub on a warm summer evening.

dnichols, Sep 01, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Will preface by saying I was judging this one with a Belgian Pale Ale in mind.

App - pours a huge creamy head. White colored with good retention. Very pale amber color and good clarity.

Aroma - pepper, bisuity/bready malt character

Flav - Biscuity malt flavor dominates early. Crisp hop bitterness balances the malt leading to good balance. Some earthy hop flavor?

Med body and med-high carbonation. No astringency or alcohol warming

O'all drinkability - A nicely balanced beer with Belgian malt character. Not very assertive, but highly drinkable.

mpyle, Aug 31, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

A yummy beer, but not for what it is touted for. Yes, people, I am in shithole Lincoln, NE. I'm working on it . . . but NB Fat Tire is one of the few microbrews 1) available and 2) on sale. Othewise, stick with Bud Select or Michelob Ultra or the sorry "local" Empyrean (caveat: yes, the Empy's ESB is good). Anyhow, false advertising on the part of NB, for the much proclaimed "balanced" Fat Tire is actually quite malty and hardly, scarcely hoppy. It's a yummy malty bonanza, one you'd love to have with an acidic, teeth-cleaning dinner such as sashimi or grilled fish and lemon. But there's no hop profile to talk of . . . I'd say this beer is closer to the maibock, maltorama beer profile than it is an amber. Great . . . if that's what you're looking for. If you are looking for balance, or a spring and summer drinking sprint, or a mouth-awakener, then this is not the beer for you. As for the NB wheat, well, that's just not worthy of my radar. Thin and . . . thin and . . . insipid.

marcellaproust, Aug 28, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at Texas Land & Cattle in Austin, TX, served in a pint mug.

Appearance: The beer is just as it should be: light amber in color with tones of gold. Ample white head, but fades quickly with residuals.

Smell: Toasty, honey, caramel, hint of hops.

Taste: Notes of sweetness, maltiness, cocoa tones with a sweet muscat aftertaste.

Mouth: Smooth and crisp, medium body, normal carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a bad amber. Goes well with steaks and spicy foods. Very easy to kick back and still keep you satisfied.

inbeertruth, Aug 23, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

This beer is a very heavy smelling beer with a slight hint of caramel. The taste is overall fresh, and crisp. It is very light in the mouth and has a slight carbonation to it to make it feel bubbely in you mouth. A nice beer to drink anytime. Pretty much available anywhere, and available anytime.

KodyBrannon, Aug 23, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

On-tap at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, NV on 8/15/07, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is strong with toasted malts and spice along with caramel and hops.

T: The taste is very malty with flavors of caramel and spice. There’s a pretty good hops presence that provides a nice balance. The after-taste is bready and slightly bitter.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, it’s a beer worth drinking for an entire evening if you want an easy-drinking beer with some substance.

TheManiacalOne, Aug 19, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours from a trappist Westvleteren looking bottle with the Fat Tire bottle art. Certainly an homage to their inspiration at New Belgium. The beer pours a dark gold color with a slim light white head that does not remain too long. Smell is of roasted malt and slight belgian yeast. Taste is light on dried fruits, and a slim cocoa scent/smell in the taste. Carbonation seems on par with most belgians making this a nice refreshing drink as it is light too.

genog, Aug 18, 2007